Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
AzniNtEgRaElf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Martial Artists
on: September 13, 2003 08:58
tai chi? i remember hearing that... but is there such a thing as using ur ki?

o yea.... i practice tons of stuff by myself or with my friends sometimes... like a free style way of fighting.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 11:25
Also any of you people use double knives or swords or staffs for that matter? Right now I'm learning a staff art.

We also have lion dance too and Chi Gong.
AzniNtEgRaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 11:42
im actually learning how to throw shruikens...
ShotoKid
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 04:29
I've been practicing Shotokan karate for almost 3 years, and I'll be testing for my 1st level brown belt in December
crystaltear
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 10:35
That's awesome ShotoKid, I've been taking karate, style Sho*mumble mumble* I always forget the name of my style grr... anyways I've been doing it for around 8 years. I love it. I'm a black belt and regularly teach the younger classes and the adult class. It is so much fun, especially sparring. That's what I'm best at, not tournament sparring though. I don't like that because it's not real and kinda ruins the point. I don't mean to boast, but I'm one of the best ones at sparring, except for my friend, grr he is sooo good. I wish I could be like him in karate.
viressegurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2004 05:05
hey guys... i'm in taekwando...i'm a white belt... still lol.. i really luv it.. i'll get my yellow belt next month... i can't wait!!!!
outlawgirl09
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 10:36
I am a second degree black bealt in TKD and have been taking for five years.Actually my whole family made it to first and then my mom dropped out. We have awesome family fights, lol! It is so fun! I love sparring and am second in my class. Using the jungbung (staff) is fun too. I had to create my own fourm using them for my second degree testing. It was fun but more than a little nerve racking. Especially since the Grand Master was there. I was easier that my five siblings and my dad also had to make one up. We confered with one another and they must have been good because we made it.

So, do you break boards? Are they plastic or actually wood? We break plastic boards and some times we get foam ones to break. It is hard to break real ones, I have done that once. Ouch.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 12:11
I'm taking Tae Kwon Do and I'm a white belt and hoping to get my yellow belt next month. (Taking the test with viressegurl. )
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 08:49

So, do you break boards? Are they plastic or actually wood? We break plastic boards and some times we get foam ones to break. It is hard to break real ones, I have done that once. Ouch.

Ouch! That sounds really hard. At our karate, our instructor once brought along sheets of newspaper for us to hit if that counts Most of our club are juniors, so giving them boards to smash wouldn't work, plus, its actually quite hard to rip the paper
viressegurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 04:43
i haven't broke any wood... but our instructor told us..its all in the heel. i'm hoping i'll break some wood soon tho.. lol
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 02:08
Oh yeah, I do Martial Arts. Actually, my class just started about 13 minutes ago, but it's raining and I don't wanna do push-ups for being late....sooo. *lol* Right now, my sis and are are green belts. Fun sport, really!! Now if Grace would just stop making me laugh...
Elensar_seregon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 02:52
I want to take a class and have been looking around, but theirs soo many styles! :dizzy:
I might take aikido and Shinkendo ( sword fighting )
they also teach judo at this one center.
Any tips or info?
:disco:
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 02:22
I do Ta Hsin Tao Kung Fu for about 6 months now and i love it!
I don't have any belts yet, but i don't mind. I do it mainly for the fun and for self-devense. If i ever get a belt, that's a nice addition, but not necessary on my part.
Suliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 10:31
Well, with all the karate people here, I'm happy to say I am one of the few in kung fu. I absolutely love it, it is so much fun. My master is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He is a great teacher, and so knowledgeable about everything. We don't really use the belt system though. The way I got into it was by taking a class at a community college where he was teaching Shaolin staff fighting. In addition though, I take classes from him that are not through the college. Unfortunately, the semester is drawing to a close so I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before the summer semester starts, and I'll be taking northern long fist and ba qua (an internal style).

Also any of you people use double knives or swords or staffs for that matter? Right now I'm learning a staff art.

We also have lion dance too and Chi Gong.

I believe you said you do kung fu, right? What staff forms are you learning? (I'm sorry, this might be a kind of old thread, I didn't check the date on it.) In my shaolin staff class, we covered the baisics, and then the forms we learned were small plum flower, six combination, and yin shao, as well as two staff sparring sets. Hopefully I'm going to be starting straight sword soon.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 12:27
Yes, I do kung fu Suliel. The style I take is derived from the movements and "philosophy" of the white crane.

Well, my staff art (also known as forms) is very general. There aren't too many specifics, as in we don't have several different arts/forms for the staff, only one.

I know someone from my school who holds a double-degree black belt in Tae Kwan Doe (don't know what style), I was quite impressed. He told me he'd be doing it for 8 years.
GOLOTR
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 08:42
I am in Karate ( a form of Tae Kwon Do) I am a Recomended Black Belt (half is red/half is black - one belt under 1st degree Black Belt) I haven't been there for a while though - it feels really weird not to go to class, ive been so busy though! Anyone else in ATA (American Tae Kwon Do Association)? I think its AWESOME so many people are in different types of Martial Arts - my sis is an orange belt, my bro is a purple belt!
Lorien~ethel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2008 07:16
My martial art is Hapkido. Taken some of its form from TKD and various other martial arts, it's very effective and always leaves your oponent on the ground. My favorite part of this martial art is pressure points. It makes take down just way to easy! I love it so much, but I wasn't able to make it past a white belt :cry: (too much to do, so little time). For my time in class, I was the most limber, thanks to my previous gymnastics a while back. I was noted as the one who could kick the other guy in the head with so little effort, lol. Although I never got to practice with weapons, my favorites are the sai and the bow staff.
As far as sparring goes, me and my bff do a little sparring every time we see each other (it's a great way to talk about your day). I hate that I wasn't able to continue (as of now) the classes because I know so little and it's hard to anticipate her moves. And she doesn't even take martial arts! She's just a fan that watches from the sidelines saying "That was cool, I'm never gonna do that!". But all in all, it's still tremendous fun.

[Edited on 16/1/2008 by Lorien~ethel]
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: January 17, 2008 01:46
i do universal movement.
writer900
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2008 12:21
Tang Soo Do, a gup green belt, moving up to brown in a few months. I love every moment of it!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email