Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LuthienofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite romantic moment
on: January 21, 2004 11:12
Hmm That must be the part were Aragorn wakes up in Rivendell and sees Arwen(TTT) he thinks he is dreaming the,that was soo beautiful,i had tears in my eyes,*sighs*
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 05:37
I like the scene in TTT when aragorn is sitting in the grase and he thinks about Arwen. You hear her say, the light of the evenstar doesn't wacks or wane. It is mine to give shom I will like my heart. Go to sleep!!! The way she says that is so aaaah soft and beautifull. I really love that scn gives my chills all over my body so romantic!!!!
And off course all the scenes with eowyn. I like the scene with eowyn and grima(not romantic I know) but the lines he says so fair and so cold like a morning of pale spring still clinging on winters chill!!! It is like shakespeare, almost of course.!!!!!!:heart::heart:

Sorry if the line is not well written
pippin_is_my_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 08:43
i love sam and rosie's wedding! i dont know if its totally romantic but it sure is cute!
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 01:11
My favorite romantic moment is the lovely glance between Éowyn and Faramir at Aragorn's coronation.:heart:

I really missed their romance, which is so well written in the book and I can't wait for the EE.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:12
I have a different notion of what romantic is, here are my picks:

1) The Grey Havens scene. The tears, the hug, the kiss, the smile, the sorrow. Frodo's final words to his Sam.

2) Boromir's death. "I would have followed you my brother... my captain... my king." This scene was so powerful, and Aragorn and Boromir's words to one another were truly romantic.

3) Sam swimming after Frodo at the end of FOTR. Need I say more? That hug... I don't think Frodo was ever so happy to have a friend at his side.

The dialogue and intensity of emotion in those scenes exceed any milk toast scene Aragorn and Arwen have together. It cannot just be assumed that because those two characters are the only romantic couple that other scenes aren't as provocative and romantically rendered. Romance to me is affection between two people, the exchange of beautiful and powerful words, and overwhelming emotion... xx-Amanda
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:33
Let's see....

Aragorn getting his pendant back from Legolas, and them looking at each other like they're TOTALLY in love.:love:

Haldir and Aragorn hugging before Helm's Deep, where you can tell they're TOTALLY in love.:love:

Legolas and Aragorn at the end of FOTR, where they're about to leave to save the hobbits, where you can tell they're TOTALLY falling in love! :love:

Haha, see a pattern?

HA! Yes they'd make a lovely couple. I mean Aragorn really digs the elves, and Legolas has got to be the most beautiful elf ever! He's also got a lot more in common with Aragorn than Arwen has. Leggy needs love too and I can't think of anyone better than Strider to give it to him . Anyway yeah they stared into each other's eyes a lot. The whole thing between them seems to have been created by PJ and the writers. It definately was not in the books! So yeah that's what my first thread was about, PJ's creation of sexual undertones that were and weren't in the books. I just love that scene where Legolas gives Aragorn the necklace, and the look on Eowyn's face... like "Oh no. I stand no chance against this fair elf." Okay enough... I don't even know if you are serious, but I am. There is definately something there :love:. xx-Amanda
Ithil623
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:52
FotR: It's a tie between Sam dancing with Rosie (for 2.5 seconds) and Galadriel giving Gimli her hair.
TTT:Aragorn's death, it was really sad but beautifully done.
RotK: the "LOOK"*dose the finger air quote thing* between Faramir and Eowyn*sigh* The best three seconds of my life...yet Sam talking about Rosie and then marrying was just the sweetest thing I'd ever seen.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:13
I would have to say the entire dream scene in TTT. Love it. Two lovers confiding about their hopes and fears. Very nice.

I loved the way Aragorn looked at Arwen when she revealed herself at the Coronation. It was BREATH TAKING. There was actual tears in his eyes. The way they had their foreheads together and caressing each other's face. Very beautifully portrayed.

I will wait for the extended version to see E&F romance story.
Eyebrows_of_doom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 05:50
I have yet to see ROTK - though I can't wait to see what happens with Faramir and Eowyn - so this is based on the first two movies alone. So...

...Okay, I know that this is completely wishful-thinking on my part, but I absolutley adore the Haldir/Aragorn hug at Helms Deep! Aside from a few polite kisses with Arwen and his manly-shoulder-griping with Legolas, this is about the most physical contact (and certainly the most enthusiastically executed) that I’ve seen Aragorn do! Plus, if you watch Haldir’s expression in slow motion (*sigh* yes, I am that pathetic) he actually looks like he’s enjoying it once he gets over his initial surprise...

*sighs happily and drifts away into a slashy Haldir/Aragorn daydream*

More seriously though, the very final scene of FOTR with Sam and Frodo is rather romantic. The complete devotion in Sam’s eyes when he looks at Frodo is heartbreaking...especially when you know beforehand how it’s all going to end. Those two little hobbits had endured so much since leaving the Shire - and they both know that the road is going to get harder - but they’re willing to face all the evils of Middle-Earth out of pure love for each other.

Forget Aragorn/Arwen, or Faramir/Eowyn...that single scene with Sam and Frodo wins my vote everytime.

:heart:

[Edited on 2/2/2004 by Eyebrows_of_doom]
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 10:30

More seriously though, the very final scene of FOTR with Sam and Frodo is rather romantic. The complete devotion in Sam’s eyes when he looks at Frodo is heartbreaking...especially when you know beforehand how it’s all going to end. Those two little hobbits had endured so much since leaving the Shire - and they both know that the road is going to get harder - but they’re willing to face all the evils of Middle-Earth out of pure love for each other.

It's not for love of each other - it's their love for each other that carries them thru yes, but they do it because of their love for the shire and their way of life.

Superb prog. on National Geographic last night where Peter Jackson amongst others discussed the Frodo/Sam relationship.

(And the rest of the story and cast as well).
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 01:33
(I'm holding out for ROTK, and hoping that the scene between Faramir & Éowyn will be there- and that will be my vote! Not saying any more- don't wanna give out any spoilers!)

I know exactly what you mean! That is easily the top vote for me too!

For me, the most romantic part out of FOTR/TTT, was Arwen and Aragorn in TTT:
"Ae u-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen"
If you trust nothing else, trust this, trust us.

For me, that was so romantic. The way they looked into each others eyes was so lovely.
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 07:59
me? hmm... I like it in the EE of TTT when Eowyn is saying to Aragorn that she has to go into the caves with the women and children, but she wants to fight with him, and says:
"You would not send the others away, they fight beside you because they want to be with you, because they love you.":heart::heart::heart: I love that bit.
I also like the Aragorn-Arwen bit. (her dress is gorgeus!)
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 08:14
I like it in the EE of TTT when Eowyn is saying to Aragorn that she has to go into the caves with the women and children, but she wants to fight with him, and says:
"You would not send the others away, they fight beside you because they want to be with you, because they love you."

thats my fav too!:heart: the she says it then walks off really quickly like she said too much:blush:.

however, there were lots of great scenes in rotk. i dont know if this really counts as a romantic scene, but where arwen sees the vision of her son is really touching.:cry:
Elf_Minx
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 05:42
i think in the last part of lord of the rings and aragon sees arwen...awwww!:blush:
Eyebrows_of_doom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 11:04
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More seriously though, the very final scene of FOTR with Sam and Frodo is rather romantic. The complete devotion in Sam’s eyes when he looks at Frodo is heartbreaking...especially when you know beforehand how it’s all going to end. Those two little hobbits had endured so much since leaving the Shire - and they both know that the road is going to get harder - but they’re willing to face all the evils of Middle-Earth out of pure love for each other. (end quote)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not for love of each other - it's their love for each other that carries them thru yes, but they do it because of their love for the shire and their way of life.

Thats true, but I tend to look at LOTR events through slash-tinted glasses.
Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 12:36
And so I return to this topic after who-knows-how-long...

I would say (to go along with most every other Eowyn-Faramir fan) the "LOOK" at the end of ROTK. YES!! EE here I come...!

Also, the final reunion between Arwen and Aragorn - that was just, so... perfect!
~Vic~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 03:28
Also, the final reunion between Arwen and Aragorn - that was just, so... perfect!

ya, i liked that part too

i can't wait for the EE of ROTK because of the whole houses of healing thing! and i agree, that "look" between eowyn and faramir was great too.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 04:04
quote:

More seriously though, the very final scene of FOTR with Sam and Frodo is rather romantic. The complete devotion in Sam’s eyes when he looks at Frodo is heartbreaking...especially when you know beforehand how it’s all going to end. Those two little hobbits had endured so much since leaving the Shire - and they both know that the road is going to get harder - but they’re willing to face all the evils of Middle-Earth out of pure love for each other. (end quote)

Thats true, but I tend to look at LOTR events through slash-tinted glasses.

Don't let them tell you that their verison of the ultimate truth is the only truth! No one owns the truth. We are all allowed to make our opinions and view art in our own way. Leave it LOVE FOR EACH OTHER, that's the way I saw it. Sam would never leave his Frodo, and he could have done so easily. I think at that moment they are overwhelmed, happy to be with each other but afraid of what's to come... I don't really think they have the Shire and their way of life reeling through their head at that moment. More like oh shit we have to go to Mordor, but at least I'm with the person I love more than anything. But then again that's what I think, and I wouldn't tell anyone else they are wrong or my truth is the only one. xx-Amanda
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 10:00
Personally I think it's ludicrous to suggest that the characters are gay.

There's no question that they have great love for each other, but to imply anything else is pure fanfiction.

No one owns the truth.

Tolkien does.

The only person who can say whether or not they were gay is Prof. Tolkien, and if one day, some member of his family tells us that's the way it was, then fine. But all we have to go on is the fact that JRRT was a devout Catholic and a family man. It doesn't seem likely that he would have even considered homosexuality. What he has done is create characters who aren't afraid to demonstrate their love for each other, and a world where people can do that openly without fear of misinterpretation would be a better kind of world.

[Edited on 23/2/2004 by RosieT]

gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 05:03
I love the scenes between Aragorn and Eowyn in the movies :love: But I love it in the book of RotK when Faramir and Eowyn get together - they're so adorable!
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 05:58
Personally I think it's ludicrous to suggest that the characters are gay.

There's no question that they have great love for each other, but to imply anything else is pure fanfiction.

No one owns the truth.

Tolkien does.

The only person who can say whether or not they were gay is Prof. Tolkien, and if one day, some member of his family tells us that's the way it was, then fine. But all we have to go on is the fact that JRRT was a devout Catholic and a family man. It doesn't seem likely that he would have even considered homosexuality. What he has done is create characters who aren't afraid to demonstrate their love for each other, and a world where people can do that openly without fear of misinterpretation would be a better kind of world.

I so agree... There was a lot of affection between the members of the Fellowship, and even others, but that doesn't mean they're all gay. I have nothing against gays, some of my best friends are homosexual, but still I think it's sad that men who show the least bit of physical affection (unless it's on a football field) for each other are instantly seen as gay.
Precious!
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 07:30

I so agree... There was a lot of affection between the members of the Fellowship, and even others, but that doesn't mean they're all gay. I have nothing against gays, some of my best friends are homosexual, but still I think it's sad that men who show the least bit of physical affection (unless it's on a football field) for each other are instantly seen as gay.

I object most of all to the arrogance of people who are quite convinced the characters are gay, altho there has never been any indication of that apart from their own (mis)interpretation of the novels. It shows very little respect to Prof. Tolkien imo, to make categoric statements (as some do) about HIS characters, with no evidence, and probably no knowledge of the Professor's feelings on the subject. But I doubt he'd have married off Sam and Rosie and blessed them with so many children if he had intended Sam to be gay. And the reason he didn't marry Frodo off, was because there was to be no happy ending for Frodo.

People can imagine what they like. But they should accept that imagination is exactly what it is.
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 01:48
Okay people, this is a little reminder that this thread is about your favorite romantic moment of the movies and not a discussion on whether or not Frodo or Sam were gay. If you want to comment on that subject, please take it here. Thanks
Lady_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 02:14
My favourite romantic moments are Aniron (aka. 'The Bridge'), and the moment when Aragorn mounts his horse to go and fight the wargs, and he looks back at Eowyn, and she looks at him, etc... it's very intriguing. I almost thought she had stolen him from Arwen at that moment. There was a definite connection.
rebb88
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 08:26
hardly romantic, I suppose, but when Galadriel gives Gimli three strands of her hair

'I asked her for one hair from her golden head, she gave me three'

That's a good one. I have thought about that scene.:blush: My favorite romantic moments are all the scenes with Arwen and Aragorn.:love: They are so beautifully done!!!!!:heart:
elfi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 09:29
Suilad, Members!

The whole story has a romantic connection, even in the fighting scenes.
- when Haldir and the elves encircle the Fellowship and says that: "a dwarf breathes...." (you know it)
- when Legolas has a feeling of danger in Moria
- when Sam thinks that Frodo died and decides to continue the way to Mordor:cry:
- when Sam says Frodo to go with him to Mordor
- when Aragorn meets with the ghosts
- when the ship starts towards the West
... etc.

So you can find romance in every single scene.:heart:

Garo arad vaer!

Elfi
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 06:12
Orcs don't bug me,Gollum is fine,but romance? :twitch:

[Edited on 12/4/2004 by Eowyn22]
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 05:12
Let's see....

Aragorn getting his pendant back from Legolas, and them looking at each other like they're TOTALLY in love.:love:

Haldir and Aragorn hugging before Helm's Deep, where you can tell they're TOTALLY in love.:love:

Legolas and Aragorn at the end of FOTR, where they're about to leave to save the hobbits, where you can tell they're TOTALLY falling in love! :love:

Haha, see a pattern?

you know... you really hit the nail on the head, ring. like... well, especially Haldir, it always struck me like he was thinking, "I thought we weren't going to tell anyone for a while?!"

but... I have to say, the moment before the Warg attack, when Aragorn rides backwards a for a little ways, and looks at eowyn.. so sweet, even though they couldn't be... so sweet
Nurwen_Calafalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 06:31
THIS scene:

arwen: A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor, Aragorn.

arwen: Ú or le a ú or nin.

arwen: Renich i lú i erui govannem?

aragorn: Nauthannen i ned ôl reniannen.

arwen: Gwenwin in enninath...

arwen: Ú-'arnech in naeth i si celich.

arwen: Renich i beth i pennen?

arwen: 'The Shadow does not hold sway yet' [Lit. 'Till now the Shadow not masters, Aragorn.']
Arwen: 'Not over you and not over me.'

arwen: 'Do you remember the time when we first met?'

aragorn: 'I thought I had strayed into a dream'
arwen: 'Long years have passed...'
Arwen: 'You did not have the cares you carry now.'
Arwen: 'Do you remember the word I told you?'
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 11:03
since i cannot pick just one i say all of the Aragorn/Arwen parts are my fav romantic moments while i cant stand those Eowyn/Aragorn ones...sorry about this but they just bug me soo!!i think they overdid with them...
aw in the A/A parts i also include the Aragorn's death one..that makes me cry all the times and also the "ae u-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen" part gets me crying....i always cry when i see them actually!!i so love their story!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 12:25
I thought the most romantic moment was Sam talking about Rosie when he thought he was going to die.

"Rosie Cotton. She had ribbons in her hair. If I was ever to marry someone, it woulda been 'er. It woulda been 'er."

The wedding scene was so beautiful too.

And I know this isn't in the movies... yet... but I'm sure I'll find the House of Healing scene very romantic as well.

:love: :love: :love: :love:
Haradiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 02:43
Hmm, difficult to say. I'd have to agree that PJ & crew has put some of the greatest romantic moments on screen. I'd probably go with:

-When Arwen and Aragorn kiss at the end of ROTK (It's so happy. Like they've gone through so much, and finally, beyond all the tears and everything they were told *cough* Elrond *cough* they've made it, beat the odds. :cry

-Sam & Rosie's marriage scene. (It's so hobbity. Simple, yet obvious they love each other. Sam's such a sweetheart.)

Okay, i know it says favorite romantic moment. forgive me if I pick two, and make it moments.
kingslady
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 10:10
-When Arwen and Aragorn kiss at the end of ROTK (It's so happy. Like they've gone through so much, and finally, beyond all the tears and everything they were told *cough* Elrond *cough* they've made it, beat the odds. :cry

I agree! And when they kiss the second time and it shows Aragorn up close and he slowly closes his eyes, almost as in relief of pain, and his eyes open filled with (well deserved) joy...:cry::cry::love:
faramir1127
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 08:10
Man, this is hard. It's impossible for me to pick just one favorite romantic moment, so here are 3 (one from each film)

- Arwen and Aragorn's conversation in the Narsil room and later outside on the bridge (FOTR)

- The scene in the Hall of Meduseld where Eowyn engages in swordplay with Aragorn (TTT)

- The coronatory kiss between Aragorn and Arwen (ROTK)
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 10:03
The scenes where Arwen and Aragorn speak Elvish together are my favourites. I especially like the one where he says in Elvish, "This is a dream." And Arwen replies, "Then it is a good dream."

I also like the little bit where Gimli describes Galadriel giving him the three strands from her "golden head." Very sweet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email