Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
GollumsGal
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sam's Final Speech
on: September 15, 2003 12:35
OK, you all know what I am talking about... the end of TTT where Sam tries to bring hope to Frodo by telling him about the stories "that meant somthin', even if you were too small to understand why." Peope have very mixed opinions about this scene including PJ himself. He thought it might be too soppy, and almost didn't include it. So... love it, hate it, lovely, or mushy?
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sam's Final Speech
on: September 15, 2003 12:46
I loved it! It was Tolkien to the core! It almost made me cry, and the interweaving of the three stories (Aragorn/Gandalf, Sam/Frodo, and Merry/Pippin) was absolutely brilliant! I can't believe that PJ almost didn't include it! *gasps at the very thought*
_mithrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 12:53
I found it absolutely touching also! It grasped the whole entire theme of lotr. What was Frodo fighting for? Why didn't he give up or just give the quest to some one else? Why didn't he be selfish? All those questions are answered in the simple yet lovely words, There's good in the world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!" Also the part that mentions the tales being told to children fits right in with Tolkiens personality whom often told such stories to his children. I loved it :heart:
sairalinde
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 04:30
I thought that Sams speech was very touching and heroic. Sam is a very brave hobbit and i love him very much :heart:
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 05:22
That's my favorite scene in the whole movie! :love: I have the whole thing memorized! As a matter of fact... I'm using that little passage for my monolouge in Drama tomorrow. It is SO beautiful, and it really makes you grasp how hard it must be for them to carry on as they do, not even knowing if there's a chance in the world that they will succeed. It makes the audience realize how heoric they are and how wonderful their friendship is, and how much MORE amazing it is when they DO succeed. It's absolutley incredible!
WildRose
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 09:37
I love it. It seems totally in character for him to say it, and it also shows what an amazing actor Sean Astin is, to be able to pull off something like that without it sounding stupid and mushy.

@-'-,--------
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 02:02
I hit the fast forward button when we get there. I know it was also in Tolkien's books, but I don't love everything he wrote and although there's some great lines there I never quite liked it. And I certainly didn't like it in the movie.

But, to each their own.
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 05:44
I like Sam, but I like The Speech less and less every time I watch TTT.

I once did a comparison between the movie version and the discussion of stories in the book (if I remember correctly it's actually in ROTK). The themes of the two passages are similar, but the meaning is actually quite different. The idea of fighting for what's good in the world was not in the book passage, and the movie speech did not have the acknowledgment that Sam and Frodo might not survive to see the darkness pass. To put it another way, the movie seems to say that all will be right in Middle-Earth again someday, and the book says that even if Middle-Earth falls into darkness forever, there is good beyond it which will still endure.
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 02:00
Love it, corny as it is, can´t help it...:blush:
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 03:15
The first time I saw the movie, when the speech came I knew the movie would be over soon. I thought, okay, time for a big, soppy, wrap-up speech to let everyone know the end is coming. (Unlike the first movie, in which the sudden ending caught lots of non-book-readers off guard.)

But the scene is actually growing on me the more I watch because, soppy as it is, I actually like what he has to say!:blush:

Cressida makes an interesting point though. It's funny some book lines, shifted to other scenes or from other speakers, can really change in meaning, or at least connotation.
FrodoGurly43
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 03:32
I love the speach. Though I don't remember even hearing it when I was in the theater. Maybe I was just staring a Elijah to much or something. But when i saw it again, I cried. It's the most thouching thing that could've ended TTT. It's wraps up the movie. Sean Astin did a very wonderful job with that!:heart:
TheSuperhobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 05:11
I didn't find it overly touching, but it's not that horribly corny or soppy, and it worked well for the film. PJ was obviously trying to tie all the major narrative strands together to give a neat ending, and he did that very effectively. Sean Astin is consistently great in these films (as are most of the main cast) and I couldn't fault him for the speech, which could indeed have come out soppy/corny if delivered by a lesser actor. If in ROTK they stay faithful to the material that is yet to come in the LOTR story, I think Sean (and Elijah) will be central to some very emotionally heavy scenes, which I look forward to seeing him do.
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 05:20
I love it. I'm unsentimental as a rule, but that bit always brings tears to my eyes. My sister thinks it's daft.

Neneithel
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 08:05
Didn't like it at the cinema - thought it was awful. Now I love it!
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 10:50
I agree atalante_star, when I first saw the movie I didn't like it, but the more I watch the DVD, the more it grows on me.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 07:08
Loved It! :heart: More then that! It's really emotional.
I think it's the most wonderful scene from TTT
we_wantsss_Aragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 04:23
I loved it so much! That scene gets me teary every time I see it, it's so beautiful and wise! Samwise the brave also is my fave'song so...:cry:
emilia_greenleaf06
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 12:27
I thought that Sam's final speech was so sweet!! I was crying through half of it! :heart: I thought that that was a good way to end the movie it wanted you to see the next movie in like two seconds!!
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2003 07:55
I loved it too. I had to look up the passages in the book, because it quotes a few different ones of Tolkien's, but I don't see where it really changed the meaning. The real point was to encourage Frodo because Frodo was really having a hard time battling the whole thing and if he didn't get some purpose out of what they were doing, he could have given up right when he is most needed. And Sam had to let Frodo know that even tho Frodo attacked him and came so very close to killing him...Sam still understood his trauma and was there with him. I think, as mentioned before, it brings all that has been happening in various spot on Middle Earth together..showing that they all are fighting so very hard for good to triumph. A very necessary speech really and again so beautifully done. They led into it really well too.

[Edited on 10/04/03 by diendrial]
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 11:16
I loved :heart: Sams speech . Every word touched me deeply. When I know that scene is about to come, I grab the Kleenex box, because I know as soon as Frodo says "I can't do this, Sam." The tears start flowing, and go on to the end of Sams speech. :cry: :cry: :cry:. Sean, did a excelent job.

Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 09:48
I thought that Sams speech was very touching and heroic. Sam is a very brave hobbit and i love him very much

Ditto to that. He's also very loyal to Frodo. He had nothing to do with the ring, except he was actually in the 'conspiracy', but he stuck with him through thick and thin. Really touching. Almost made me cry too...
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 11:23
Apsolutely loved it! I clapped, and still do so whenever I hear it. He's not a learned Hobbit, but he's so very wise. Bless him!!

Lindir, on quite possibly her shortest ever response.
FantasyBen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 02:43
If they had made it just a tiny bit shorter, I would have loved it. But he went on for too long, so it was a bit too sappy
Arwen1858
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 03:29
The first time I saw it, I didn't think it was that good, but every time I see it, it grows on me, and I love it now!! Although I cry my eyes out every time I watch it! :cry: It's wonderful! I downloaded it to my computer the other day, and am going to start memorizing it tonight. I love the part about the sun shining out clearer, and I've been going around the house all day today quoting, 'What are we holding on to, Sam?' 'That there's some good left in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!' I love it!! :cry:
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 05:55
I downloaded it to my computer the other day, and am going to start memorizing it tonight.
Hehe... I memorized it ages ago! It's just so wonderful!
CailinnElanesse
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2003 04:23
When I first saw it, I didn't like it very much, but now I love it! The music was so good and it really wrapped up the TT with the different groups. I almost cry every time I see it now.:cry:
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2003 05:38
I know it word for word by heart... :heart:
rovie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 01:10
i cried!!! everytime i watch that bit..i still cry!!! no seriously, the first time i saw it, i cried so much..i didnt really remember much of what happened after it...and now, i've watched it like...10 times, i still feel like crying...it soooooo sad:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

oh, yeah, and also, we are playing lotr in band, and they had the music thats playing in the background when sams talking, the first time we played it, i was like...must...get...home....to...my..... precious...lotr... and yeah, i nearly cried when we played that bit too :cry:

[Edited on 16/11/2003 by rovie]
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 03:23
I can't believe PJ almost didn't include it either, I think it's a lovely scene
hollyhynes
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 11:21
I LOVE Sam's speech! I cant listen 2 it without crying though! "Its me, its your Sam. Dont you know your Sam?" sets me off!
Every word in his speech means something to me. I know it off by heart & whenever my friends feel discouraged, I always say some of it to them & it cheers them up. Frodo is so lucky to hav him as a friend!
I LOVE Samwise Gamgee! ( & Sean Astin 2 of course!):heart:
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 04:40
I find it depends on my mood, mostly I love it
but sometiimes I just think its annoying.......
Nènar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 12:14
I love it!! Really gives the right impression of Sam, that he also would have had to bee there, og else Frodo would have given up...
Sam got way too little attention, so he deserved one good speech!
Nikkili
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 01:44
I thought it quite appropriate. But then I'm an eye-dabber with a permanent hanky growing out of one fist. I like schmaltz. I'm one of those dreadful people who can be heard sighing in the back row.. "Awww...." when I think some scene is particularly touching. It's another reason I don't like watching movies in public.

Exposing one's deeper, reflective side, is a very big no-no to many people...even if we're only observing an actor playing a part. We're uncomfortable that someone who's supposed to be steady and reliable in the face of a crisis, should be reduced to such a state of "temporary insanity" becoming sentimental, precisely when they should be focusing on survival.

A good example of this, is the old belief that "Real Men Don't Cry.", which Sam also does unabashedly on cue.

So...Would we hand each other a hanky, or tuck our emotions up our sleeve, and grumble that we didn't approve, when Sam gave his little speech? Peter Jackson did worry a bit. Too much schmaltz, and a director can be accused of overdramatization. Not a biggie, unless an Oscar hinges on the decision. Overkill, can kill, in that arena.

But that's the beauty of Tolkien, and also of PJ's uncanny knack of knowing just when to poke us in our emotional breadbasket. From the looks of this thread, most of us approved.

~Nikkili~

Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 04:35
I loved it. 5 stars.
AgordanPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 09:34
I loved it! That had to be one of my favorite parts of the movie. For the longest time my friends and I had parts of it in our profiles on AIM. We all loved it because its so true. My friend Laura and I were talking one night about it and she goes, "Hey a TTT show started a Regal about an hour ago, we can get there just in time to see Sam's speech. That's the best part, wanna do it?"

We did'nt neither of us can drive. :cry: But that's what we though of it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email