Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Two Hunters (Scripted: PM to join)
on: October 28, 2005 07:25
(( Apologies... been swamped ))

When the two brothers finally reached Laketown, it was to find that place in an uproar. A number of horses with their heads hanging in exhaustion and a broken-down cart were in the main square, and (from what Glaedon could gather) by the anxious and outraged conversations all around, it would seem Alassieth's kidnappers had not not only been here but caused more problems, too.

Almost, the older ellon had to 'accost' an official-looking someone, to demand what was going on.

"Two of our young women - stolen in the night!" the man raged, "and fifteen horses on top of that!" "How long ago?" Glaedon asked, and glanced at Lindarion whilst they awaited the answer.

"Four... maybe five hours - just after Midnight!" came the answer, and then the man answered a hail from someone else, and moved away.

"Five hours!" Glaedon whispered, and his eyes gleamed, "We've gained on them, little brother... but they've got fresh horses. - And," pulling Lindarion aside and out of the way of a bustling someone going past, "I don't think," he went on soberly, "that they're in any mood to lend us any. - But... we could try. Or, we'll just take off after them again. If they're running their mounts into the ground like the ones they've abandoned - they'll be on foot sooner than they think. Which shall it be, Lindarion - but we'd better move fast, either way!"
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 04:01
((Agh! Quite Swamped, myself. I'm going to bring some life back into this and finish it if I can, though.))

As usual when they met someone along the way, Lindarion fell silent and let his elder brother do the talking. His heart rose as the news of their gaining time on the kidnappers came to his ears.

"Five hours!" Glaedon whispered, and his eyes gleamed, "We've gained on them, little brother... but they've got fresh horses. - And," pulling Lindarion aside and out of the way of a bustling someone going past, "I don't think," he went on soberly, "that they're in any mood to lend us any. - But... we could try. Or, we'll just take off after them again. If they're running their mounts into the ground like the ones they've abandoned - they'll be on foot sooner than they think. Which shall it be, Lindarion - but we'd better move fast, either way!"

"I shall ask," Lindarion said. They wasted no time about finding a stable and Lindarion approached the owner. "Sir, we would borrow two of your horses. When we are finished with them, we shall end them back to you. I promise them as much safety in our hands as they may have anywhere."

The man turned his back on the young elf with a grumbling noise of disgust. "As much safety as they may have anywhere? Ha!" he spat. "You couldn't pay me enough that would make me part with them to the likes of you."

Lindarion grit his teeth, but turned and left. "Very well," he said, "Then we shall not waste any more time here."

As they left the town, they were stopped by a young boy. About 15 in years, Lindarion guess. "Wait!" the boy said. "I saw the man at the stables turn you away. I have three horses, which I will lend, only I must go with you. I guess by your interest in these events, some friend of yours must be prisoner of the evil men. My sister was one of those taken. So, please let me come with you and my horses are at your service!"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 04:48
Even though he'd 'expected' the stable-man to refuse Lindarion's request, Glaedon had to bite back an acid retort at the manner in which the two elves were denied.

With a glare at the man's back, the older ellon turned and followed his brother back outside, seething inwardly... yet determined they would catch up to Alassieth's kidnappers - one way, or another.

They were nearly on the outskirts of Laketown, when the sound of running footsteps caught the brother's ears.
"Wait!" the boy said. "I saw the man at the stables turn you away. I have three horses, which I will lend, only I must go with you. I guess by your interest in these events, some friend of yours must be prisoner of the evil men. My sister was one of those taken. So, please let me come with you and my horses are at your service!"

Seeing the 'flare' of hope that gleamed in Lindarion's eyes, Glaedon laid a hand on the younger's arm, and gave it a brief squeeze, trying to dampen his own elation.

Keenly eyeing the youngster, Glaedon knew they'd little time to debate. "'Friend', no," he answered solemnly. "Our sister, too, was taken." Knowing exactly how the boy felt, it was kindly that ellon spoke again. "What is your sister's name?" Glaedon asked, "And yours?" and the two elves fell in step with the boy. "I'm Glaedon - and my brother, Lindarion. - And, we would be glad of horses, but..."

Ever 'practical', "You have your parent's permission to go after her?" the blond-haired elf inquired. - Though, since he knew quite well that neither he - and (especially) Lindarion didn't either, the ellon was quite willing to let the youth join them anyway...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 07:19
"I am Merril," came the response somewhat slowly at first, then firmly and proudly. "My sister is Laina. I do not have my parents' permission because they cannot give it. They are dead. But the details are of no importance. I shall get the horses quickly. You keep on; I will meet you fully outside of town so as not to draw attention to us." And with that, 'Merril' turned and left swiftly.

Lindarion had not spoken during the encounter, but his heart was for allowing the lad to accompany them. Not only was the promise of horses encouraging, but he felt great sympathy with the boy. He was glad that his elder brother felt likewise. "It must be hard to lose all of one's family," he said at last as he mused over Merril's words. "But this Merril is so young. How can he hope to be able to save her himself?" Lindarion said this with a certain ammount of irony in his voice as he had often felt in the same position, only compared to Merril, he was much older and more experianced.

Merril met them with the horses sooner than they had expected. He was slightly out of breath, but had a fierce glow in his eyes. Yet contrasting to this was his first action of introducing each of the horses, which would have betrayed either his age or love of animals if nothing else had. Lindarion learned that his horse was named Mhaeros and was slightly difficult to manage at times, but swift and strong. "Glaedon, sir, you shall ride Danae. She is sturdy and capable, if a little proud. She was Laina's, but she will carry you well," there was a short pause as Merril looked sadly at the ground. "And lastly, I shall ride Hara." Merril had mounted and sat bolt upright, expectantly.

"Well, then. Shall we begin?" Lindarion said, slightly impatient to be underway. He patted Mhaeros' grey, arched neck and looked out over the ground that they would have to cover, waiting for Glaedon to say the word and lead on.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 08, 2006 10:01
"I am Merril," came the response somewhat slowly at first, then firmly and proudly. "My sister is Laina. I do not have my parents' permission because they cannot give it. They are dead. But the details are of no importance. I shall get the horses quickly. You keep on; I will meet you fully outside of town so as not to draw attention to us." And with that, 'Merril' turned and left swiftly.

Glaedon winced, feeling sorry for the boy, and his eyes reflected that sorrow as he watched Merril run off.
"It must be hard to lose all of one's family," he said at last as he mused over Merril's words. "But this Merril is so young. How can he hope to be able to save her himself?"

"He won't be 'alone', Lindarion," Glaedon answered soberly. "We'll help him - as Merril is helping us!"

And, with that said, the older elf led the way to the far side of town to wait.
Merril met them with the horses sooner than they had expected. He was slightly out of breath, but had a fierce glow in his eyes. Yet contrasting to this was his first action of introducing each of the horses, which would have betrayed either his age or love of animals if nothing else had. Lindarion learned that his horse was named Mhaeros and was slightly difficult to manage at times, but swift and strong. "Glaedon, sir, you shall ride Danae. She is sturdy and capable, if a little proud. She was Laina's, but she will carry you well," there was a short pause as Merril looked sadly at the ground. "And lastly, I shall ride Hara." Merril had mounted and sat bolt upright, expectantly.

"Hello, Danae," Glaedon's voice was soft, and 'encouraging' as he let the mare sniff him, and then rubbed her nose. Swinging gracefully to her back, the blond-haired ellon urged Danae into a walk... and then a trot, 'acquatinting' himself with her paces.
"Well, then. Shall we begin?" Lindarion said, slightly impatient

Quite understanding his younger siblin, the elf's eyes searched for, and then found, the trail of their quarry. "This way!" Glaedon called curtly, and the brothers - and Merril, were on their way...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 09, 2006 03:49
Mhaedros jumped forward at only the slight urging of the elf, following Danae. Lindarion soon became accustomed to the horse's movement and was also pleased to be underway in a more swift fashion. The drumming of the horses' hooves at their stready gait faded to white noise.

Merril followed at the end of the line, but as they did not follow a specific trail, he often varied with riding next to one of the elves.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 06:41
Fuming inwardly that the grassy expanse on the eastern side of Mirkwood often obscured their quarry's trail, Glaedon did the best he could to keep track of it.

He hated that they were certainly going more slowly than Alassieth's kidnappers - despite they'd taken more prisoners from Laketown. - But, Glaedon dared not go more quickly, lest he 'miss' some small clue as to their intended escape-route.

At one point, when the Merril came up to ride alongside him, the elf glanced over his shoulder at Lindarion, and then gave the boy a 'curt' nod.

"Do not fear, young Merril!" Glaedon said grimly, "We *will* catch them... it is only a matter of 'time'!"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 06:22
Merril looked encouraged and dropped back again and began talking in a low soothing voice to Hara. The horse flicked its ears around to listen and bobbed it head. Merril laughed very quietly. Lindarion ignored Merril searched the landscape along with his brother. Lindarion was not as skilled yet as Glaedon, yet his skills were improving with use and any help was welcome.

They day continued with very little talk amongst the trio. Merril seemed like he was willing to talk but didn't find occasion for it and mostly conversed with his horse, although it was inaudible. As evening began to come, Lindadion wondered if they would have to stop more often because of Merril, who was looking slightly tired, although he looked like he was trying not to look it.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 03:32
(( Eeps... SO sorry! ))

Glaedon glanced at the setting sun, and then back at Merril. The lad was trying manfully to hide his weariness... but elven eyes could see it plainly.

Sending a 'meaningful' - and yet 'unhappy' look to Lindarion, the older ellon drew Danae to a halt. "We'll stop here," he said quietly, and nodded at a tree-rimmed clearing. "I'll take First Watch, but first, I'll go hunting for something to eat. - Lindarion - would you get a fire started?"

With that, Glaedon swung gracefully down from the mare's back, spoke to her kindly, and let her loose to grace. "I won't be long," the elf added, and unslinging his bow, left his brother and the boy to seek out such as might be found.

Inwardly, however, Glaedon knew that he and Lindarion could have gone on for several more hours. He'd kept the horses at a steady pace... so they would have taken no hurt... of *that* the blond-haired ellon was sure. - But, Merril? - No... despite they all three were anxious for their captive sisters, Glaedon would not 'push' the lad farther than he could go.

A small movement caught the corner of Glaedon's eye then, and with elven-swiftness he brought his bow into play. A small deer... plenty for all three of them, he thought, and slinging his kill over his shoulders, the elf headed back to camp...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 11:28
(( It's okay. ))

Merril dismounted his horse gratefully, but could sense the elves' feelings about stopping and said nothing. He sat down and pet Hara, who nickered softly and nudged him in return.

Lindarion said nothing either, but went about gathering some dry wood for a fire. In not long he had a small blaze going which licked around the fuel he had provided for it.

Glaedon was back in short order and set about preparing the meat of the deer. Lindarion helped with this. Merril offered to help somewhat hesitantly, but Lindarion quickly noticed his reluctance to help and with a shrug, told the boy to gather more dry fire wood instead.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 03:57
Once he had their dinner roasting, Glaedon sat by the fire for a bit of rest.

Casting a glance at his brother, the elf then turned to the new member of their group. "I thank you again for the loan of your mounts, Merril," he said, and gave the youngster a wan smile.

"Perhaps... since we couldn't really 'talk' while we rode, we can do so now... and get to know each other better. - If you like, I'll start. Lindarion and I are from Lothlorien... I am a Border Guard and warrior. - I'm five hundred eighty-four years old... Lindarion is younger. - We're rather young for elves," Glaedon added, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes. - Since, despite in elven-terms they were 'young' - they both were still much older than this young lad could ever hope to be...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 09:15
"I am eight-teen," Merril said. Lindarion glanced up at him in surprise, but said nothing, although he did not think that this boy looked fully eight-teen. "My sister and I have lived in Lake town ever since we were young. Our mother died when we were young and our father a few years ago. But we have managed quite well enough. I have a job at the stable, but I have managed to take care of and keep our family's three horses and not had to sell them."

Merril ran his fingers through his hair to push if out of his eyes. "Do you have any idea how soon we will catch up with the raiders? I know you stopped because of me tonight. Please don't. I'll tie myself to Hara if I have to."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 05:10
"I am eight-teen," Merril said. "My sister and I have lived in Lake town ever since we were young. Our mother died when we were young and our father a few years ago. But we have managed quite well enough. I have a job at the stable, but I have managed to take care of and keep our family's three horses and not had to sell them."

Eighteen? Glaedon hadn't been 'specifically' looking at Merril when the youth replied - his gaze on the leaping flames brightening the gathering darkness around them.

Without turning his head, the older ellon turned his gaze on the boy.

No 'judge' of Humans was he, but Merril seemed *much* younger than his stated 'age'. - And, for one who had been working hard to hold himself and his sister together, Merril bore no signs of 'hard work'. - His hands, Glaedon thought, particularly so... they weren't 'caloused' - not at all!
Merril ran his fingers through his hair to push if out of his eyes. "Do you have any idea how soon we will catch up with the raiders? I know you stopped because of me tonight. Please don't. I'll tie myself to Hara if I have to."

Rather admiring the young man's willingness to press on, Glaedon shook his head.

"Even if *you* are willing," the elf replied, "Your horses are unused to traveling like this - and they certainly can use the rest. - Don't you agree, Lindarion?" Glaedon turned to his brother... and sent the young ellon a 'speaking' look...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 03:42
Lindarion caught his brother's gaze and agreed. "Glaedon is right. There is more chance of losing the trail in the night, since of late the moon has been on the wane and the skies clouded. If nessecary later, perhaps we will take you at your word and tie you to your horse..." Lindarion smiled.

The younger elf watched Merril keenly. He was beginning to think that either the youth was exaggerating the truth for his own protection somehow, or else lying outright and if so, what else might he be lying about. The horses might be stolen, but no, they knew him too well. Maybe his parents weren't dead and had forbid him to leave... If nothing else, his age must be a lie. Lindarion himself had guessed closer to 15. The boy was too fair to be the age Merril had given himself.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 06:25
Glaedon smiled faintly at Lindarion's words, and then turned back to the fire. In a short time, their meal was ready... and after eating, the older ellon rose.

"I'll take the first Watch," he told his brother, and nodded at Merril. "Tomorrow night... or perhaps the night after - if we haven't caught up and retrieved our sisters by then - if you wish, you can help. - Tonight though, Lindarion and I will stay alert..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 03, 2006 03:46
Merril did not dispute who would take the watch, and actually ended up falling asleep rather quickly. Lindarion, who was not tired, moved over towards his brothers and spoke in a low voice.

"I saw that you also did not believe his age. His face is too young, although I realize that I have not often been among the race of men. Though, I wonder why he would lie, as there seems no cause," Lindarion said. He was interested in his elder brother's opinion. "Though, I do not think that his lies could harm," Lindarion added quickly.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 03, 2006 04:44
Glaedon chewed on his lip, and threw a glance at the sleeping youth.

"Harm... no - not that one," he replied slowly, and sighed. "But... when a lie is discovered to be a lie - it is hard to trust that other things said are not lies as well. - And that may lead to 'harm'... even if such is not intended."

Reaching out an grasping his brother's shoulder to reassure him, "We shall see, Lindarion. - So far, Merril has not said anything to bring mistrust upon him, so I will trust him."

Giving his younger sibling a smile then, "Get some rest, Lindarion - I'll wake you at midnight..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 05:07
Lindarion shrugged. "Perhaps he's lied to feel safer, as if people thinking he was older, would give him less trouble. Well, I should like to find out what it is all about." The last bit he added more to himself, although he was sure that Glaedon had heard.

At midnight, as promised, Glaedon woke Lindarion and the younger brother took over the watch. He watched Merril carefully, but found nothing helpful in observing the boy sleeping. Lindarion and Glaedon took turns keeping watch through the night until morning came at last.

Merril woke with the sun, without needing to be roused, and seemed bright and energetic. The boy seemed to find the morning out of doors rather interesting, although he was quite serious about getting underway as soon as possible.

"You know where the trail continues?" he asked Glaedon. "Hara and the others are rested, so we should be moving soon. How many miles are there between us and the rogues?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 06:57
Smiling faintly as he stirred the fire to heat their breakfast, Glaedon nodded. "I checked last night... the trail hold's true to the South," he then replied solemnly.

"As for 'how far'... that, I can not guess. It depends on how quickly our quarry is moving - and whether they stopped for the night."

Standing up, and flicking his long, blond hair back over his shoulders, the ellon went on firmly, and his blue eyes 'flashed' angrily, "Trust me, Merril... Lindarion and I are as anxious as you are to catch up with them! - Now... eat, and we will be on our way," he added, and gripping his brother's shoulder reassuringly, "We will catch them... it's just a matter of 'when'!"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 03:47
Merril nodded and said no more for the time being. Lindarion allowed that Glaedon did not look like some one to be persisted with, and said nothing either.

The now trio were on their way while the morning was still young. Merril was still quiet, not even speaking very often to his horse. Lindarion was wondering if Merril's feelings had been hurt and was adding this oddity to his list of various things about the boy.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 09:59
No thought of whether he might have hurt Merril's feelings crossed Glaedon's mind. His attention was fully on the trail of Alassieth's kidnappers... and those of the youth's sister.

At midday, however, he slowed their small group a bit, and glanced at Lindarion and Merril. "Do you wish to pause for a short time to eat?" he inquired of them both. - But, inwardly, he didn't want to... feeling they were making good progress in catching up.

Though... as they continued to move southward, the older ellon knew they'd have to be careful. Eventually, they would come to Lothlorien's eastern border, and if either he - or Lindarion were 'seen' by the elves guarding it, it was likely they'd be stopped. - For, most certainly, their father would have spread the news that the two were 'gone' without his permission. - And, Glaedon knew well that neither he, nor his younger brother had any intention of leaving off their pursuit...

((heh I can't remember 'where' we were going to find them, I'm afraid. ))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 16, 2006 02:06
((OOC: lol, I'm sorry, I'm making it up as I go along, because I lost my nice neat outline ages ago. Very sorry. We can catch up soon, if you like, we might as well. Oh, I think we were going to have another orc skirmish first, though, so you can start that if you like. It was going to be a small band attack us or something.))

Merril staunchly refused to stop for a meal, saying that he wasn't hungry. This raised him in Lindarion's eyes slightly, but as the trail became clearer and they made up time, he was quite distracted from scrutinizing their companion.

The horses were strong and did not tire easily, although they had covered quite a few miles. The day wore on; a combination of endless monotony and growing anticipation as an end began to come within sight.

Yet even as it looked like the path to finding their lost sister would be clear, another element was thrown in. It was Lindarion who noticed it first, as Glaedon stopped momentaily to scan the track. A little ways off and not connected with the kidnappers' trail were the marks of orcs.

Lindarion uttered the name of the foul creatures with disgust. "I would prefer to avoid them entirely," he said, "It would slow us greatly to have to fight, although if they are still about--and these tracks are fresh--I'm afraid it may be unavoidable."

((OOC Again: Hope that's all right.))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 23, 2006 02:23
(( hey... tis no problem - and sorry it's taken me so long to come up with something. Stupid writer's block! ))

The instant he saw the orc-tracks joining those of the kidnappers, Glaedon halted his horse to peer at them more keenly. How many were there? he wondered inwardly, and then gazed forward... trying to use his elven sight for any signs of them, or their quarry.

A brief 'flash' in the sunlight the ellon saw, and grimly, he turned to his brother and the lad. "Unavoidable is right," Gladeon said solemnly. "And if we don't hurry, the orcs may take all chance of 'rescue' away from us! We go! Now!" he cried, and urged his mare into a full gallop.

The orcs were near enough, that within a few minutes the three hunters were coming up on elven-bow range. Without blinking an eye, or taking his own off the troop of orcs, Glaedon unslung his bow and had his first arrow sailing through the air...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 10:23
Lindarion was swift to copy his brother and sent an arrow to follow Glaedon's. As he reached for another shaft, his eyes searched the area for numbers, but could not get a certainty. Yet there did not seem to be many.

As they neared the orcs, Lindarion held back slightly, preferring to use his bow for as long as possible before he would be forced into closer combat. He reached for another shaft, and began seeking out his next target, not waiting to see if his first arrow had struck its mark. He was confidant that it had.

Suddenly, he realize that he and Glaedon had outrun Merril and left him rather alone, although they were still between him and the orc-band. Wheeling his horse around, he grit his teeth in frusteration. A few straggler orcs had lept out of the bushes towards Merril.

The boy rode well, despite his horse's uneven steps as it dodged away from the orcs, but clearly hadn't the faintest idea what to do at far as fighting. Lindarion redirected his aim and slew one of the orcs that was antagonizing Merril. He methodically felled each of the others in turn.

An orc had been creeping up on him while his attention was turned elsewhere and now startled Lindarion's horse and got an arrow in the throat for it. Lindarion turned back towards Glaedon who was fighting the main company and whom he was nearer to. Using a few more arrows, he helped thin the ranks for his brother.

A strangled yell came from behind him and Lindarion whirled back around and swore at the same time. His last arrow had merely wounded the orc, which was now in the process of dragging Merril off his horse. The horse shrieked and darted off, leaving Merril on the ground with the orc leering nastily at the boy who was clearly very frightened.

Lindarion was getting an arrow on the string as quickly as possible, but at the same time, the orc was preparing to stab Merril. Lindarion watched as the orc lurched forward with the blow, but stopped mid lunge and fell awkwardly on top of Merril.

Leaving Glaedon to finish with the last few orcs, Lindarion rode over to Merril. Dragging the orc corpse off Merril, he found that Merril was clasping the hilt of an orcish weapon that was protruding from the now-dead orc. Merril was covered in orc blood and breathing in rapid, shallow gasps, but more notably was crying.

Lindarion stopped at this. "What?" he said, rather sharply, although it wasn't meant to be. "You are not fully 18 years," he said with a small laugh and a shake of his head.

Merril's crying was startled to a stop. "Yes I am 18!" came the reply fiercely, eyes blazing up at him through tangled hair.

Lindarion was about to contradict this when something made him stop. Something he hadn't noticed about Merril, but now he suddenly did. He turned, took a few steps away and laughed very softly.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 06:43
Using his bow for as long as he could, Glaedon then leapt from his mount's back to meet the hated orcs in hand-to-hand battle. His sword-blade flashing in the sun, the older ellon had no time to waste in checking on either Lindarion or Merril.

Glaedon was well aware, however, that his younger brother was aiding him by picking off as many of their enemy as he could with his own bow... and whirling so quickly his long, blond hair flared out around him, the elf was glad of Lindarion's skill, and his help as he ducked a vicious blow, and thrust his blade through an orcish chest.

By the time the orcs were defeated, Glaedon was spattered with blood - theirs, as well as some of his own, for despite his fighting-skills, there had been so many he'd not escaped unscathed.

His chest heaving from the effort, the ellon cleaned and sheathed his sword, and pressing his hand against the worst of his wounds, Glaedon went to check on the other two, coming up just in time to hear Lindarion quietly laughing.

"Well?" he demanded to know, glancing at Merril before returning his sharp gaze to his brother. "What's to laugh at, Lindarion?" he asked, and Glaedon's brow furrowed in puzzlement. "We need to get going again!" he added darkly, knowing they'd once again lost 'time'...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 01:09
Lindarion glanced from Glaedon to Merril and back. He knew that Glaedon was right, he couldn't help feeling amused. Although, he found that a good many oddities about Merril were resolved quite suddenly.

The younger brother straightened himself up, nodding respectfully to his older sibling, who's battle-worm appearance went far in sobering Lindarion's mood. "Of course. Nothing. I am sorry." Lindarion took a deep breath and nodded again. "Merril, are you all right?" he asked.

Merril nodded solemnly. "Very well then," Lindarion said and gathered up the reins of his own horse and of Merril's which had chosen to wander back rather than require chasing. Merril got up and very quietly retrieved the horse's reins from Lindarion.

Deciding to ignore Merril from there, Lindarion turned to Glaedon. "How are you?" he asked, glancing at his brother's wounds and feeling slightly guilty that he had escaped unharmed. "If you are well enough, we will continue?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 11, 2006 10:48
Glaedon shrugged. "I'll live," he answered shortly. And, after cleaning his sword, used it to start a 'cut' in his cloak. Tearing a strip from it, the ellon then bound his worst wound, a slice on his left side, beneath his arm.

"Let's go," he then said, and only catching his breath for a moment, vaulted back onto the mare's back.

For a moment longer, Glaedon debated, his eyes focussed on the distance. - Yes... they'd been 'delayed' by the orc-fight... but really, he didn't think they were all that far behind Alassieth's captors.

And, if so, really, there wasn't any 'need' to follow a trail - at least for now. "Lindarion!" Glaedon turned to his brother, a 'trace' of weariness in his tone. "You and Merrill take the lead... I'll follow," he added (unnecissarily). Reslinging his bow over his shoulder, the elf then nodded for them all to move out...

(( not much but gets them on the road again! ))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 28, 2007 04:23
"Right," Lindarion nodded, collected the reins of his own horse, and swung himself onto its back. The horse sidestepped slightly, still excited from the attack, and danced rather than compliently standing still while the others mounted.

Merril pulled himself up, using the pommel of the saddle for help and being decidedly less graceful in style than Lindarion had been. Still breathing heavily, he straightened himself in the saddle. "Lindarion and I lead?" he repeated in a small voice.

The younger of the elven brothers nodded curtly and spurred his horse as soon as Glaedon was ready. The horse took a jump forwards, then settled into a paced jog, head low, and understanding that the ride would be long.

Lindarion kept a sharp eye both on the easily followed tracks and for any sign of further assault. But every now and then he kept glancing at Merril, suppressing a look of curiosity.

Ahead of them, the trail was plain, so Lindarion let Merril lead after a while. Reining his horse back to beside Glaedon's, he surveyed his brother's condition silently.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 29, 2007 02:24
The pace set by Lindarion and Merril was no 'help' to Glaedon's wounds. He'd not taken any time to bind them before curtly stating they should move on. - But, Alassieth's recovery was more important than himself, he thought, pressing his arm against the painful slice in his side, and grimly gritting his teeth against the pain.

When his brother dropped back, and glanced at him, Glaedon winced inwardly, glad the deep slice was on the other side of him. It was still bleeding, and Glaedon could 'feel' it soaking into his shirt. - Yet, "I'm 'fine'!" the elf volunteered... though really, he wasn't. It was sheer 'will' and long centuries of training that was keeping the older sibling upright on his mount's back.

Trying to 'turn' Lindarion's thoughts to something else, Glaedon smiled wanly. "The kidnappers will be passing the Golden Wood ere long, little brother. Unless we wish to be spotted by the border guards, you and I may have to swing 'wide' of Lorien. As long as Merril doesn't try to enter, they won't stop him... so if we ride to the east of him and keep him just in sight we should be all right. - Don't you think?" the ellon added, trying to keep his tone 'conversational'...

((meh. ick!))

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: March 31, 2007 11:18
Thoughtfully, Lindarion pondered this. He and Glaedon could not pass through Lothlorien, not after leaving both without their father's blessing and against his will. With a slight pang, he wondered what pain and angsiety his departure had caused his father, though doubtless, its purpose was known.

"My only thought is that it might not be well to let Merril travel too far distant. What if a sudden foe appeared?" He knew that Merril, in following the path would be in the shadow of the Golden Wood and fairly safe, if any place could be considered such. Still, he was feeling more protective.

Casting a glance ahead, Lindarion confirmed that Merril was following the path truly, the fresh marks being an easy trail. "Merril tracks well," he commented, "And rides skillfully, although fights poorly," he added with a little laugh.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 15, 2007 01:02
Musing thoughtfully on his brother's comments, "Not too far, no," Glaedon agreed, and then chuckled.

"He is young," the older ellon went on. "Think on yourself at that age, Lindarion... you weren't even half-way to being an adult. For a human, he is nearly there. Merril will improve with practice, as did you - and I."

After a few moments more, "We should catch up with him to speak of our plans," Glaedon suggested, and urged his mount into a faster pace.

Drawing his horse next to the young Human's, and glancing at Lindarion, "Do you want to tell him?" Glaedon inquired, "Or shall I?"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email