Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Two Hunters (Scripted: PM to join)
on: May 22, 2005 07:21
Whatever Glaedon thought, or expected his younger brother to do, or say, it wasn't what happened. And... a bit awkwardly at first, the elf returned Lindarion's hug. It was, however, what Glaedon had needed, and was almost surprised at realizing he did.

When Lindarion let go, his older sibling gave him a shy half-smle. "Thanks, little brother," Glaedon said, and then gripped the other's shoulder tightly. "Now - let's go find Alassieth! We're going to be a good 'team', you and I. I may be... 'responsible', and 'dependable', but you've got an - an... 'instinct'... a..." and the blond-haired ellon was having trouble putting it into words.

"You have a - a 'knack' for... for... 'spontaneity' that I don't have. Between us - if we can figure out how to work together..." Glaedon said hesitantly, hoping Lindarion would understand him. As a 'team'... using each other's strengths might help them find their sister more quickly, in addition to bringing them closer - and giving them a better understanding of each other.

"What do you think?" he asked, and searched his brother's grey-green eyes with his own blue ones...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 08:07
Lindarion's eyes smiled back. He understood what his brother meant, though he wasn't so confidant in his own abilities. They had usually let him and other people down, although he had never been on anything critical. He was determined not to let Alassieth down.

He nodded, his face now neither sad nor optimistic. "We'll find her.. together... And we'll bring her back! There lies the trail! Let us run now while we can follow it in the hours of light." With the risk of losing the trail, Lindarion now knew they could not keep on after dark for fear of wandering astray of it.

Lindarion looked firmly and resolutely at his brother, his companion. Together, they would hunt down these kidnappers and rescue their sister.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 09:12
Glaedon nodded, "Let's go!" he replied, and ever keeping his keen blue eyes on the trail, the two brothers headed off again.

But, even as they ran, part of the older elf's mind was already trying to figure out how best to 'mesh' his, and Lindarion's abilities. Unlike his younger brother, Glaedon had seen such instincts in 'action' before... though usually only from a distance, or from considering it later on. - But, was he, perhaps, placing a greater burden on Lindarion than he should? We more confident in Lindarion than Lindarion was in himself? The older ellon didn't think so.

Glaedon preferred to 'plan ahead'... to try and figure out as many possibilities as he could before forging ahead. And, already he'd abandoned that (to some degree) in this search... and he knew his brother was trying to 'see' things his way, too...

But now, the two elves were running side-by-side - not one before the other. Their pace was steady, and Glaedon had set it at that speed for a reason. It covered the ground quickly, but was one both could sustain for a long time.

"Lindarion!" Glaedon abruptly halted, and frowning, stared at the ground. He'd not 'lost' the trail... but it seemed as if several of their quarry had 'split off' from the main group. A ruse? Did they know - or suspect - they were being followed? Biting his lip, the older ellon first knelt and then began examining the two sets of prints. Which should they follow? Should they separate, he and his brother? Everything in Glaedon said 'no' to that... and to keep to the 'main' trail.

"What do you think, Lindarion?" he asked, wanting his brother's opinion.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 07:54
Lindarion stopped and studied the path. His heart jumped, worried that should they pick the wrong path, they might lose their chance of finding their sister. What was more his brother asked him what his own opinion was. Lindarion wasn't sure what to say.

A bit nervously, he did what he always did when confronted by a choice like this. He stared straight ahead, sometimes considering each path, and thought hard. Weighing things out in his mind and came to the idea, though somewhat apprehensively that they should follow the main trail.

"I do not know for certain, but I think we should keep to the main trail," Lindarion spoke up quietly, then a little firmer in his choice. "The side trail seems to have splintered off for some other reason and I do not think there are signs of a captive taken with them... though we cannot be sure. But that is what my heart says. And I would follow the main body of them."

Lindarion fell silent, still considering and growing more certain in his decision. He was getting more confidant as his brother relied on him more. Not that he ever felt inferior, but he was aware that his abilities had seldom been tried. And the few times they had, they had not always proved as true as they might. Still, he looked to his brother for a final pronouncement.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 08:16
Although he, too, kept studying the two trails carefully, Glaedon also did the same with his brother. Lindarion hadn't had much opportunity to test his own skills - and this was as good a time as any.
"I do not know for certain, but I think we should keep to the main trail," Lindarion spoke up quietly, then a little firmer in his choice. "The side trail seems to have splintered off for some other reason and I do not think there are signs of a captive taken with them... though we cannot be sure. But that is what my heart says. And I would follow the main body of them."

"Good," Glaedon nodded, "we agree." Giving his little brother a half-smile, the two moved on again. - And... again, perhaps an hour later, they could both see where the main party had stopped - and whoever had left, rejoined their fellows.

"Look, Lindarion," the older ellon pointed to the merging tracks, and knelt to touch a 'drag-mark' with his fingers. "That second group just went off to hunt! See - there's a deer's hoof being dragged!"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 07:01
Lindarion sighed and half-smiled that his 'feeling' had not gone amiss. His main concern now was that they seemed long in catching up to these kidnappers who seemed to move as though they had the wings of the wind to aid them. It baffled the young elf, though he knew he and his brother had not been going as they might for fear of losing the trail.

But now the trail left seemed wide and plain, and Lindarion wanted to run to make up the miles. But now as the path was wide and plain before them in daylight, the sun's light began it's daily waning. Lindarion was uncertain whether or not to press on and gain on these captors who ran like the devil or rest and follow again by the light of day.

The trail ran on straight as far they could see, headed north, but should it turn as they followed in the night, even their elvish eye sight might neglect to see. They had stopped to consider this and Glaedon put forth the dilema first. As he spoke, Lindarion's grey-green eyes were attempting to pierce the cloak of dusk that was falling.

Not willing to stop yet, Lindarion urged his brother to go on until it was too difficult to see. It was then they determined to stop. Lindarion sat down heavily, sighing and lamenting the hours of night were so long. They made little camp and were ready to move at first light, but Lindarion could not sleep.

When dawn lit upon the hillock they had rested on, Lindarion was still standing looking forward as he had been when they had stopped. Yet he was rested well enough and showed no signs of faltering. "Come!" he said as soon the sun began to rise. "We must make haste!" So saying, the energetic young elf sprinted off at a steady 'hunting' pace to follow the trail still lying mockingly plain ahead.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 10:12
Glaedon, too, had been relieved they'd been 'right', and it lifted his spirits just enough that he slept that night. - Well, at least a little, until nightmares of a bound-and-gagged Alassieth abruptly woke him. He said nothing to his brother, though, knowing they'd disturb Lindarion deeply... and though he stayed quiet, the elf could not return to slumber...
When dawn lit upon the hillock they had rested on, Lindarion was still standing looking forward as he had been when they had stopped. Yet he was rested well enough and showed no signs of faltering. "Come!" he said as soon the sun began to rise. "We must make haste!" So saying, the energetic young elf sprinted off at a steady 'hunting' pace to follow the trail still lying mockingly plain ahead.

Again, the two ran side-by-side, the trail never wavering from it's Northwards direction.

As they went, Glaedon's mind didn't rest... for, in his head, the ellon kept a 'map' of their progress. And, it was likely he and Lindarion would reach the Old Forest Road by late today.

But beyond that, in the Misty Mountains lay Goblin-town. They'd need to move carefully tomorrow... their quarry's path was running closer to the mountain-range than it was to the river.

The elf knew that if the two of them were spotted by those hateful creatures, it could mean a significant delay. Torn by the thought of it, Glaedon debated whether to speak of it now to Lindarion, or if tonight would be soon enough...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 05:27
Lindarion was extremely engergetic despite his total lack of sleep the previous night. The younger brother took a slight lead, following the path ahead. He looked around and saw great hawk in the sky. It circled above a ways away.

Lindarion dropped back to mention it to his brother who had also seen it. "There must have been some sort of battle ahead. A bird of prey would not be so keenly interested if there was not battle. But with who? The kidnappers? Other enemies abroad?"

Either way, Lindarion fingered the handle of his knife. He wouldn't mind catching up these kidnappers and then he'd give them battle.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 06:12
Glaedon sighed inwardly, knowing his 'choice' had been made for him.

"We'll have to see," he answered, and stopped to watch the circling hawk. "But... we're nearing goblin-territory, Lindarion," his brother said soberly. "It's not goblins who took Alassieth - that I know from the tracks. But if they attacked whoever's got her..." and broke off, hoping very much that hadn't happened.

'Captive' their sister might be... and in grave danger... but in goblin hands, Alassieth would be even worse off...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 06:43
Lindarion looked hard straight ahead. He knew how much worse it would be if Alassieth was taken by goblins... the foul yrch! He stared at the ground for a few moments. He was not afraid to meet goblins, but he hoped very much that the path of goblins and the captor of his sister would not meet; despite that he would like to wish all ill on those people themselves, the risk it would mean to his sister was too great to wish for it.

Lindarion watched again the hawk and his heart sank. Goblins were known to have disputes and fights amongst themselves. But again, everything in his mind asked for 'haste, haste, haste'...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 07:04
Glaedon glanced up at the hawk again. "Come on, Lindarion!" he bid his brother, "Let's get moving!" and the two headed off again - their pace steady, and yet - as quick as the older ellon dared to go. Glaedon even unslinging his bow to carry it, since it made for easier running.

Hour after hour stretched by. Conversation was little, both saving their breath... even on those times Glaedon slowed to check their quarry's path. And, as he'd predicted, by sundown, he could see the Old Forest Road in the distance.

Halting once again, Glaedon took hold of his brother's arm to stop Lindarion, too. "As much as I know we both want to keep going," he said, "I think we ought to stop here for the night, Lindarion. Once across the road, we're in goblin's territory. - If we're going to run into any of them - I'd rather meet them in daylight than in darkness..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 11:47
"Agreed," Lindarion nodded. He had come to just accept his brother's desicion on such matters. It had not led them astray thus far. The younger elf's eyes wandered to the horizon as they often did. He wondered if Alassieth was just beyond the farthest ridge.

Lindarion continued to stare at the horizon. He watched the sky's colours fade as the sun disappeared to blanket the word in evening darkness. The stars appeared, brighter than before yet they had. But only briefly as clouds rolled in and darkened their light.

The younger brother could tell even in the dark that Glaedon was not resting either. Lindarion bowed his head as his sight could no longer pierce the dark and sat down next to Glaedon, saying nothing.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 12:15
Glaedon was just a bit surprised when his brother didn't protest stopping for the night, but the older ellon was relieved, and he, too, kept his gaze Northwards.
Lindarion bowed his head as his sight could no longer pierce the dark and sat down next to Glaedon, saying nothing.

Heartily feeling as depressed as his brother, Glaedon laid a hand on Lindarion's shoulder, and squeezed it briefly. "We won't give up, little brother," he said softly, and fell silent again.

The night was long, and Glaedon forebore to urge Lindarion to sleep - knowing his younger sibling couldn't any more than he could. At least they were both sitting, he thought, that being better than nothing. If they met the goblins... or Alassieth's kidnappers, any rest at allwould help...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 08:56
When dawn came, Lindarion was surprised to find that towards the end of the night, he had actually managed to fall asleep. He felt a little guilty, as though his vigil had been relaxed and it was his fault.

He jumped up, eager to be on his way. The trail lay before them, but they knew they would have to go long quietly when entering goblin territory. If they were attacked it would add time to that which they were already trailing by. It was becoming a race. The farther and more days the captors were from Lorien, but greater the risk to Alassieth.

Lindarion kept his senses fully alert for the sight or sound of enemy lurking. His hands often strayed to his weapons, chiefly his knife which he had wore at his belt from their setting out. He had also a bow and was skilled with it; a thing learned from his years as a guard in order to please his father. He was a little nervous should they be attacked, but he was not afraid.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 09:52
Glaedon wasn't sure when it was he noticed his brother had fallen asleep... or rather, how long Lindarion had been sleeping, but the blond-haired ellon was relieved. Exhaustion could work it's toll on anyone - even elves - after a while...

But, again, at dawn, the two brothers moved out... following the trail... both hoping they'd managed to gain just a little time as they went.

Ever alert for other dangers, though, Glaedon's eyes strayed often to the West... and when they came to it, glanced upwards for a long moment at the high cliff that was home to the great Eagles. There were none aloft, and the ellon sighed inwardly. Once he'd seen them - two of them, soaring... gliding on the winds... a sight to behold it had been...

Yet, bringing his gaze back to the trail, both he and Lindarion halted. Scuffs... drags... bodies - both goblin and human lay before them. "Someone has been fighting!" Glaedon said in a hard voice, and took off at full speed to investigate more closely... his younger brother barely a step behind him.

"Are they...?" Lindarion began, but the older elf shook his head. "I'm not certain," Glaedon replied, "But... no one else has come this way that I can tell... and, I think," he knelt to touch one of the tracks.

Looking up again, his eyes agonized, the ellon's voice was whisperingly serious. "Whoever it is... the goblins have taken at least one prisoner. If it's Alassieth..." and Glaedon glanced Northwards, and then West again, and into the Misty Mountains. Could they spare the time? - If it hadn't been their sister? But... what if the goblins now had her?

"I say we go West, Lindarion," he said soberly, "we have to be sure..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 06:32
Lindarion stopped still. This was the worst thing he'd been imagining. If they were wrong, delay was incredible, if they didn't go, they might never find their sister again. Either way it was a gamble.

"It would be worse for her if she was held by goblins," he said at last, very slowly. "We must therefore follow that path."

Lindarion's heart felt heavy about either choice. The one thing he had hoped to avoid and now there was nothing for it. He set his jaw and looked to the West. This was the trail that they clearly had to follow and hope that, if they were wrong, they could make up the time lost.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 07:16
"It will," Glaedon answered soberly, but as his brother started to follow the goblin's trail, "Wait!" he called.

Biting his lip, the older ellon gazed at the tracks heading northwards. There was no telling how long it might take to be sure Alassieth wasn't in goblin hands... and in the meantime, if it rained, they could lose this one completely.

Deploring that he had to waste one, Glaedon retrieved one of his arrows, and snapped it in half. At the place of the battle, the elf placed three fair-sized stones in a triangular pattern - pointing in their former direction. Quickly running a few hundred yards farther on, and using the hilt of his belt-knife as a hammer, he drove the arrowhead-end well into the ground... with another set of rocks as a marker.

Again, Glaedon hurried a few more hundred yards, and did the same thing with the fletching-end - so that the feathers were still above-ground.

"There!" he said to Lindarion, when he'd run back to join his younger brother. "If Alassieth's not with the goblins, at least we'll be sure of the first trail for that far along. Let's hope it doesn't rain!" the ellon went on, and started into the foothills of the Misty Mountains.

For now, Glaedon thought, the goblin tracks were even clearer than the kidnappers... but there was no real 'path' the creatures were following. Fuming inwardly, the elf knew it would become even more difficult when they reached the rocky cliffs...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 07:46
Lindarion watched with sinking feelings as Glaedon prepared for the fact that they might be wrong. Cursed goblins! They were causing more trouble, evil creatures. Lindarion had grim thoughts of when they caught up with them, whether or not they had Alassieth.

The goblins did not travel as quickly as the previous captors had, and Lindarion got the satisfaction that they were gaining on them. He judged at this rate, he and Glaedon would catch them by mid-day of the following day.

Lindarion sprinted on. He was not paying attention anymore to how long they had been sprinting, days, hours... Now, finally, he could tell that they were making progress. He did not look at his brother, but solely at the path ahead. These goblins obviously did not fear pursuit, for their trail was open.

Intermixed with the goblin prints, here and there were signs of a captive, though, not deffinate enough to be sure it was Alassieth. Lindarion was completely bent on trying to figure out if it was or not, but that was impossible. Only catching them would tell them for certain.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 01:10
Disgust was what Glaedon felt most deeply as he and Lindarion tracked the goblins. 'Bold' the creatures were! No attempt to hide their trail... and they certainly weren't worried enough to move quickly! - But yet, the elf knew he and his brother had to move carefully, too. It was always possible the goblins might have left lookouts along the way - though Glaedon doubted it.

What made it worse, was that the few prints left by the beasts prisoner were either smudged... or half stepped-on by the goblins ugly feet, obscuring the true form, and leaving no way to tell if it might be their sister.

Darkness came early as they headed deeper into the mountains, but Glaedon was in no mood to stop. When the moon rose, though, he paused, and settling his cloak about his shoulders, raised the hood. "Lindarion!" he whispered loudly, catching his brother's attention, and motioned the younger ellon to do the same. It had turned chilly once the sun had set - but as elves, neither one felt the cold. But... what Glaedon wanted to prevent, was any glint of moonlight off either his or Lindarion's light-colored hair. Such as that, just might be enough to betray their presence to the goblins. - And... goblins... black-hearted creatures that they were... preferred the darkness of night...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 08:14
Lindarion raised his hood, hiding his golden hair from the moonlight and blending into the night. The moon was fuller than is had been previous nights and shed light down upon them.

This was encouraging to Lindarion, who could still see easily the path before him and did not wish to stop this night. He was determined to catch up shortly, losing as little time should they be wrong. And yet the signs of a captive was evident. Curse the goblins for marring the tracks beyond reading to see if it was elvish.

Goblins had a natural hate for all elvish, though, and it did not seem beyond logic, that they might have seized upon Alassieth. Filthy, even worse than the first kidnappers. Those appeared to be men. But goblins! Lindarion looked hard forward. That was why they could not risk not following the goblin tracks.

"We may journey on this night!" Lindarion said. "See how there is light enough yet for us to make our way as the trail is visable to the utmost. We gain on them, brother. If we keep on we can close the gap ere morning."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 08:57
"We're not stopping!" Glaedon replied, and gave his brother a grim smile. "Not tonight! The less time we lose if Alassieth isn't with them - the better!"

Grateful for the moonlight's aid, the two elves pressed on through the night. Glaedon kept every sense alert, though... for a 'prickly' feeling kept creeping up his spine. Dawn was approaching, and the mountain-creatures were beginning to stir... but to those sounds, the blond-haired ellon paid no mind.

It was 'another' that found it's way to his elven-ears, and with only a sharp - but quiet - warning to Lindarion, Glaedon ducked behind a tree... they'd caught up with the goblins!

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 10:57
Lindarion heard the harsh goblins voices. He couldn't tell if they were bickering or just talking to eachother. He knew little of their language and its grating tone prevailed reguardless. At once when he had heard it, he dropped to half-kneel on the ground behind cover.

Lindarion began drawing his bow. He winced in frusteration when he slipped and caused the bow to make a noise against the tree. A goblin, away from the others and closest to the brothers, looked up. He began walking in their direction. He passed where they were hiding and turned around. He dropped with Lindarion's shaft in his throat.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 12:31
Glaedon, too, winced when he heard Lindarion's bow scrape against the tree... for the sound immediately caught one of the goblin's notice.

So much for 'subtlety', he thought, though he faulted his brother not a bit. Swiftly notching his own arrow, Glaedon let fly with his own... sending a second beast to the ground, for the goblins hadn't missed that one of their party had suddenly gone missing - and were now running their way. The older ellon could only hope that he and Lindarion could dispatch the bulk of the goblins with their bows... for only he had brought a sword...

(( I think that's 'right', shirehobbit - isn't it, for Lindarion? ))

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 12:28
When once the goblins were alerted to the elves presence, Lindarion began nocking arrows to his bow-string and firing them as quickly as possible. His aim was good, although he took swift carefulness in the lining up of the shots. The goblins dropped as his arrows transfixed them.

When Glaedon had spent a number of his arrows, he drew his sword and charged into the midst of them. Effectively dispatching many with his blade. The score of goblins fell relatively quickly before the elvish brothers.

Lindarion stood still, breathing rather hard as his brother slew the last of their enemies. A call from his brother brought him out of his reverie. His brother found the still form of a man from the south. Not completely like them, yet from there.

They knew what that meant. Their sister had not been captured by the goblins. This wretch had been the captive and had either been wounded previously in the battle when he was captured and died before they attacked, or been killed to keep from escaping. Either was possible, but it didn't matter.

They now had to return to the main trail and again follow. It was a disappointment, yet not unlooked for. Had they guessed wrong the other way it would have been far worse. A goblin stirred, only wounded, though mortally so where it lay. Lindarion drew his knife and finished the creature. He then drew his knife back and cleaned, standing and looking agian around.

He had missed few times with his shafts, and yet he was still taking in the fact that he had killed the goblins. Much as he detested them, he had never killed anything before. After a few moments, he absently began picking up and cleaning off his unbroken shafts. His mind was on many things.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 01:17
Glaedon picked off as many of the goblins as he could with bow and arrow, and then drawing his sword, charged in to meet them face-to-face.

Whirling, his long, blond hair flared around him, and the moonlight flashed off his blade. Luckily, he only recieved a few small slices in the fighting, but it was with relief he watched the last one fall.

It took but a moment, but Glaedon cleaned his sword before re-sheathing it, and began looking around the area keenly. And, behind some rocks - the ellon found it: the body of a man. "Lindarion!" he yelled, "They didn't have her!" Relief flooded through him - along with anger. It wasn't Alassieth, but he and Lindarion had lost hours in this false pursuit.

Carefully, the two elves picked through the slain goblins... retrieving as many undamaged arrows as they could. Slipping the last one into his quiver, Glaedon squeezed his brother's shoulder tightly. "Let's go, Lindarion!" he said, "We daren't linger!"

Throughout the rest of the night, the two brothers retraced their footsteps - only the rocky mountain terrain slowing their pace. Haste overtook caution, but Glaedon didn't care. He wanted them out of this place... and back on their sister's trail as quickly as they could manage it...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 01:48
Lindarion followed his brother. He had recovered many of his arrows, but in the process, he had been mentally tallying the number of goblins he had killed. He was still discussing this with himself. It did not bring him any kind of joy to kill the foul creatures.

Slinging his bow across his back and sheathing his knife again, Lindarion sprinted beside his brother. Haste was key indeed to make up the time lost. He hoped that they were not now too many miles ahead for them to cover. It had not rained, and so their trail--marked by Glaedon's shaft--would still be clear to follow. Provided it did not rain before they reached it.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 02:13
Glaedon skilfully slithered down a short, but steep cliff, and glanced upwards. To his relief, though there were clouds drifting across the moon, they weren't thick enough to worry about.

An hour or two after dawn broke, though, the two brothers were in the foothills. Glaedon searched for the first of his markers, and sent Lindarion northwards. "Here!" the younger ellon called when he'd located it, and only pausing to take a quick drink from their waterskins, they were off on their sister's trail again...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 07:14
Lindarion set his face to look straight ahead. They had run long and hard, but the young elf did not feel it. But, though is resolve did not diminish, he was no longer reckless in his pursuit.

He had put the matter of the goblins to rest grimly, knowing that it was nothing to worry about. The were creatures of only evil. Lindarion was a gentle person, though and did not like the slaying of anything.

Now Lindarion had said little to his brother, the entire time they had gone thus and the brethren had been nearly a day now with speaking but what was nessecary, each lost in their own thoughts.

The trail lay plain and unmarred before them, but the time they lost was great and they were behind such that if the terrain became difficult to track over, they would be lost and easily set astray. So did this weigh on the mind of Glaedon, while his brother, unfamiliar with the land that lay ahead remained untroubled on this matter at least.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 10:42
Glaedon was becoming more worried as the day went on... but he said nothing of his concerns to his brother. Indeed, they'd barely spoken at all the whole day - save a word here or there... both intent on making up for the lost time. Their 'easy going' would soon come to a halt, the elf knew that quite well. He'd been pushing them both nearly to their limits, hoping to catch Alassieth's kidnappers before they got too far north, but that was not to be...

And, as Glaedon knew it would, and as the afternoon had just begun turning into dusk, the ground they were traveling over began to change. Rockier... akin to that where he'd lost the trail the first time... and Glaedon slowed... his keen blue eyes picking out what he thought was the trail, and then moving off again. It wasn't a 'steady' track - not any more... and he was going almost on 'instinct' more than skill.

- Until... the ellon came to a complete halt, and kneeling down, swore aloud as he hung his head in near-despair. "What?" Lindarion skidded to a stop behind him. Unable to meet his brother's eyes, Glaedon shook his head sadly. "I've lost it again, Lindarion!" "We'll find it!" Lindarion answered, "In the morning..." "No," his older sibling answered heavily. "Not with this terrain, little brother. It stays the same, all the way up to the Grey Mountains. Even if I found a foot-print or two, they could very easily have changed direction."

Hating himself, Glaedon looked up into Lindarion's grey-green eyes. "The only thing I can think of... is to try going through Mirkwood. We can leave word there, and then back-track to keep going north again. Maybe... if Alassieth's kidnappers head that way..." but then, the older elf fell silent. Mirkwood held it's own dangers - to those who had captured their sister, as well as themselves. Spiders... orcs... and who knew what else haunted the thick forests of the Taur e-Ndaedelos. However, if the Elven-King would aid them... supplies, and... perhaps, a word to his warriors to stop anyone suspicious.

But, biting his lip, Glaedon anxiously waited for Lindarion's opinion on all this...

(( let me know if I need to edit anything, shirehobbit! ))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 09, 2005 07:11
Lindarion stopped still. Completely? Glaedon had just said that they lost the trail with no hope of finding it again by themselves? The young elf tried hopefully to encourage his elder brother, but he was little surprised when these were put down by the heavy truth. Lindarion's eyes looked back at his brother's, half with disbelief, but gradually in the silence turning to resignation.

"As you lead," he mumbled, staring at the ground, trying to force himself to pick up the trail, but the long expanse of rocky ground ahead glared back mercilessly. Then raising his eyes back to meet his brother's gaze, he answered more stolidly, "I do not fear Mirkwood's dangers. If to find Alassieth, we must pass through there, then we must follow that road."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 09, 2005 07:53
Ai, by all the Vala did Glaedon hate to see the disappointment and resignation in his brother's eyes. Closing his own, the ellon reviewed their location on the 'map' he carried in his mind. Fuming at everything, Glaedon sighed. They were nowhere near either of the roads leading to the elven-king's hall, just as he'd thought. "We'll have to make our own path through the forest, little brother," he said soberly.

Feeling like a 'failure', he shook his head. "It's one thing to not 'fear' the dangers, Lindarion," he answered quietly. "The goblins were only a small party - well within our two strengths. Spiders... well, they usually travel alone - but not always. It's the orcs we have to be careful of. If we run into too great a number of them - fighting is out of the question. Small numbers, yes - but..."

Dejectedly, Glaedon sat on the ground, and stared through the gathering darkness at the thick trees that bordered Mirkwood forest. "We'll stay the night here, Lindarion," he went on, "And start fresh in the morning. I'll take the first Watch - and wake you at midnight. I suggest you actually sleep - if you can, and I'll do the same. Neither one of us have had much the past two nights, and we're both going to need the rest. We'll need to be on our toes from here on out, muindor nín - by day, as well as night..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 12:28
Lindarion listen silently and sat down to rest. Trying to take his brother's advice, he closed his eyes, attempting to let go of all the thoughts and feelings of the day and just rest. For a long time, they kept running through his mind, but finally he willed himself to sleep.

When he opened his eyes a few hours later, Glaedon was shaking him gently. Lindarion nodded without a word and took his brother's post on watch. The night was quiet, but with the star-light and his keen eyes, he could still see the landscape fairly well.

The darkness of Mirkwood's forest could be seen before them. Lindarion realized that this was farther north than he had ever been before. Being young and not as dependable as his elder brother, Lindarion had rarely travelled outside of Lothlorien's borders. He had been twice to Rivendell and on some scouting missions, but this was the first time he had laid eyes on the trees of Mirkwood.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 01:45
Throughout his part of the Watch, Glaedon's eyes kept straying between the last known direction of their sister's kidnappers, to the darkened forest to the east of himself and Lindarion. He was not looking forward to this! Afraid... no... it wasn't that... but still...

When it was time, he gently shook his brother awake. "Your turn," Glaedon said soberly, and leaning against a rock, closed his eyes.

At his own appointed hour, the older ellon blinked, and stood up. "Eat quickly," he bade Lindarion, and did the same. "All right," Glaedon said, and as the sun rose, knelt to draw a map in the dirt with the point of his knife.

"We're here," he said, and marked a spot where Lindarion could see. "The elven-king's hall," the elf then made another 'x' in the ground, "is here. We'll go east-north-east to get there... in as straight a direction as we can go," and traced their route with the knife. "No matter what happens, little brother... one of us has to keep going that way."

Glaedon didn't expect that either of them wouldn't make it... but there was no point in Lindarion not knowing 'where' to go. Taking a deep breath, the ellon got up again, and unslung his bow. "Come on," he said quietly, and yet firmly. "Let's go!"

Cautiously, Glaedon led the way into the trees... where the both of them were swiftly 'swallowed' up into the eerie tree-roofed darkness of Mirkwood Forest...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 09:58
Lindarion glanced a little uncertainly at Glaedon when he mentioned "one of us has to keep going." He didn't want to risk losing another of his brother as he had lost his sister, but was comforted when a look from Glaedon told him this was only a precaution.

They entered Mirkwood, the forest's dark cloak pulling about them to drowned out the light as they walked beneath its branches. Lindarion kept his hunting knife close, keenly aware of any noises made about them. This forest was far different from the golden splendour of Lothlorien.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 10:43
Glaedon disliked the gloomy atmosphere of Mirkwood immensely. Even 'normal' noises... such as the occasional bird-call seemed either 'too loud' or swallowed up in the denseness. Even... the elf remembered, the road he'd been on once before had not been this bad...

He, too, was alert... and tensed at a flutter of wings. There was no talking now, not even in whispers. With quick glances... or by hand-signals, the ellon made his wishes known to his brother.

Ever deeper they went... the trees so close, only Glaedon's elven time-sense told him that night hadn't come the instant they set foot in this dark wood. Another 'rustle' caught his ears, and the blond-haired ellon froze. A slight breeze brought the faintest of foul stenches to Glaedon, an inwardly, he swore. It sounded like only one of them... but he couldn't be sure.

Turning to his brother, he stared into Lindarion's eyes intently, and waggled eight fingers in the air. Spider!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email