Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
Post The Two Hunters (Scripted: PM to join)
on: May 04, 2005 05:18
The elves were heavy with sorrow as they returned with the news. Lindarion looked up and strained to the hear the whispered words that the elvish scouts spoke to his father. Lindarion's father's face grew very grave as the scouts had finished their message and withdrawn slightly.

Lindarion stared at the ground. He had heard enough. His younger sister, Alassieth, had been kidnapped! She had been traveling with a small company of elves and had been set upon a few leagues from Lothlorien. Some had been found slain, but Alassieth had not been among them.

Lindarion stood up and walked from the room; he let no tears fall, but a plan was forming in his mind.

---------------------------------------------

Lindarion moved about silently as he gathered his traveling gear. His weapons; his cloak. He slid his knives into their sheaths, slowly and trying to muffle the sound. He wrapped his cloak around his shoulders, it's grey-green colour making perfect camoflage.

His eyes were steely and his jaw set as he snuck through the trees. He had been a member of the guard of Lothlorien for years before and had always been good at tracking and going unnoticed and as a single elf, he easily evaded the sentries. Silent as a shadow, he kept going.

He paused behind a tree when he heard some one ahead of him. Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder and spun around. "Glaedon!" he exclaimed in a whisper of surprise.

"What are you doing?" Glaedon asked sternly.

"Father will not let me go.... you know it! But I must find her. Alassieth cannot be left-- I mean, she-- I must find her! I will find her. I don't care what you say!" Lindarion's eyes were hardened and resolute. His blond hair was flung back over his shoulders as he looked squarely at his slightly taller, older brother.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Two Hunters (Scripted: PM to join)
on: May 04, 2005 06:24
Glaedon was coming in... just as the elven-scouts were leaving. The looks on their faces sent the blond-haired elf straight for his father... and immediately, he demanded to know what had passed - for the older ellon's face was full of grief.

"Aliasseth? Kidnapped?" Glaedon couldn't believe it. "And, they couldn't tell who...?" but his father had only shaken his head in response... to that, and an inquiry about rescue.

Clamping down on his fury, his own heart heavy, the elf bowed slightly to his sire, and left. But, as he headed towards his room to wallow in his own grief, the ellon's keen ears heard Lindarion moving stealthily around in his own. Knives being quietly sheathed... and... Glaedon knew his younger brother all too well...

When Lindarion slipped out of the house, he followed... but far enough back so his sibling wouldn't be aware of it. Shaking his head, Glaedon watched his brother elude the sentries... both of them had spent enough time as Border Guards to know their ways... and silently, he snuck by them, too. But not for the same reason!

He watched when Lindarion paused by a tree, and circling around, threw a largish rock up ahead - making it sound like someone was there. That was just 'enough' to distract the younger elf, and on swift, silent feet, Glaedon was there, and laid a hand on his brother's shoulder.
"Glaedon!" he exclaimed in a whisper of surprise.

"What are you doing?" Glaedon asked sternly.

"Father will not let me go.... you know it! But I must find her. Alassieth cannot be left-- I mean, she-- I must find her! I will find her. I don't care what you say!" Lindarion's eyes were hardened and resolute. His blond hair was flung back over his shoulders as he looked squarely at his slightly taller, older brother.

"Of course he won't!" Glaedon glared at Lindarion. "He's said no rescue at all! - And, besides... whoever it was, slew some who were with her! You can't do this alone - you'll just get killed - or kidnapped too!"

Calming himself a little, Glaedon spoke again. "Come on, Lindarion... let's go home before father finds out you've gone..."

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 07:54
Lindarion drew back from his brother. In his present mood, he would not be easily detered by anyone. He had taken several steps back, widening the distance between him and his brother.

"No! I will not," he said passionately though still keeping his voice low, "unless you drag me!" He stepped back again and returned Glaedon's gaze fiercely. He knew that his brother could possibly drag him or else call the guards and have him restrained. His father would likely agree with Glaedon's actions.

"Please, Glaedon," Lindarion begged. "Let me go. I have to find her!" Lindarion tried very hard to fight the tears that he could feel forming at the thought of his sister. He had not allowed himself to cry earlier, but now he knew he was close to it and did not wish to in front of his elder brother. He bit his lip.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 09:05
Glaedon eyed his brother keenly. Yes... he could drag Lindarion back... but protesting (if not struggling) the whole way. - And... the 'scene' it would cause almost made the older ellon shudder at the thought, which was why he 'dismissed' calling the sentries. He wanted to get Lindarion back home 'quietly'!

He could tell how close to tears the other was... even if Lindarion was trying to contain them... but Glaedon shook his head - even though he'd have liked nothing more than to search for Aliasseth, too.

"Not by yourself, you're not!" the ellon said firmly. "And you know what father would say if he even knew you'd tried!" Trying not to send his younger sibling over the 'edge', the elf spoke again. "I promise - if you come back without my having to drag you, I won't tell father..."

He'd need to be 'watched', though - for well Glaedon knew if left to his own devices, his brother might try this again... later, or tonight, even, under cover of darkness... and that was going to be difficult... since he, himself had his own 'duties' to attend to...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 05:59
"Will nothing let you let me go," Lindarion shook his head in despair. "You condemn her to death as does father!" he said in a very low tone. He stared at the ground. "Please, I don't expect you to agree with me, but let me go. Tell father all, he will not blame you. Only wait until I am a days journey away. Don't you see? I have to go! It is my duty to my.... sister. I have to."

"I have to," he repeated barely audible. His hopes were failing, but his fire was still hot and his grief strong within him. No, he would not cry! Not in front of Glaedon, he determined. That would only make Glaedon think that he was less capable of this mission. He drew his knife a fraction from its sheath and slid it hard back in.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 02:52
Glaedon's eyes narrowed just a bit. What was his brother thinking with that gesture? - But... the elf was becoming upset, too. He - being the oldest, hadn't had as much 'time' with his youngest sibling as Lindarion... away on Border Guard... or other duties... and...

"Alassieth is my sister, too!" he answered sharply, but yet, quietly. "I know you've always been 'closer' to her than I have... but don't you think I don't want her back? Don't you think I'm worried, too? - Or, that I'll miss her? Or that I do miss her? What do you take me for, Lindarion? An unfeeling beast? - That... if father hadn't forbidden it, I'd have been leading a rescue?"

And then, addressing his brother's first comment, "And... father to not 'blame' me? I, to just stand here and 'let' you go? Alone? Of course he will! He'd be right, too!"

Ever keeping his eyes on Lindarion's agonized ones, Glaedon took a slow step nearer. "You're not thinking 'straight', Lindarion... you know you're not," the blond-haired ellon went on, and then had an idea. "Come on, brother..." he said gently, "I'll tell you what. You stay here while I fetch my bow. We'll go to where she was taken... and we can both say 'goodbye'. I don't think father will mind that..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 09:26
"Very well," Lindarion looked up. He smiled, although he didn't have much heart in it. He waited for Glaedon to return, but began walking quickly as soon as his brother was back in sight.

He reached the place ahead of his brother; Glaedon running up behind him, not wanting him to get too far ahead. Lindarion knelt and studied the marks. He walked from print to print. When he shut his eyes, he could envision it all. It was horrible!

The first shafts slaying the guards of the company. The rest drawing hteir weapons, but being cut down. Alassieth's scream. He wished he had been there; to die if nothing else.

Lindarion looked hard at the tracks as they meandered away. There was nothing harder in him than the desire to follow them and slay the captors of his sister. He stood to his full height and stared after them.

"Ai, Alassieth," he mouthed silently.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 10:48
Glaedon retrieved his bow and quiver as quickly as he could... only taking time for a quick glance into their father's study. The ellon was sitting still... a book open, but his oldest son knew very well not a word had been read.

Promising himself that he and Lindarion would be back as soon as possible, Glaedon half-ran back to where he'd left the younger elf... almost afraid his brother wouldn't have waited. Relief flooded him at seeing Lindarion still there... and as they headed for Alassieth's last known whereabouts, didn't let his sibling out of his sight.

Upon reaching it, Glaedon skidded to a stop beside his next-younger sibling... and again felt both fury, and grief as he, too, took in the scene... and the tracks leading Northwards. But... he knew they didn't dare stay long... and even as his heart silently bid his young sister farewell, the ellon laid a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Enough, Lindarion," Glaedon said sadly. "There's nothing we can do..."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 05:46
"We can!" Lindarion turned around immediately. "Look! The trail leads north and clearly. We could follow it and rescue her. Those who kidnapped her will not expect a small pursuit and we could catch up with them without them noticing the we follow them. We would not have to bring it to full out battle. In the night, we could free her and take her swiftly back to Lorien where she would be safe."

Lindarion had obviously planned out his method of rescue prior to his attempt to sneak out alone. In his words he carried over the 'we' that Glaedon had used, but this had not been formost in his thoughts, for he was still thinking only of his elder brother allowing him to go alone.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 06:37
The switch from 'I', to 'we' didn't go unnoticed by Glaedon, and the older elf bit his lip and looked away.

Lindarion's plans weren't... 'unreasonable'... and he'd like nothing more than to get Alassieth back. But Glaedon was so 'used' to obeying their father - as well as his superiors in the Border Guard... and it wasn't in his nature to go against 'orders'.

But, shaking his head, the blond-haired ellon looked back towards their home. "Father said 'no', Lindarion!" Glaedon repeated.

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 06:51
Lindarion stared hard at his brother for several minutes. "You don't have to go. I'm not asking you!" Now clear of the guards' patrol Lindarion was free to raise his voice.

"Are you afraid? Don't come then! Stay and when I'm killed as father and you both think I will be, he'll have at least one son left. If you are too scared to go, why can't you just let me go?! I'm not afraid. Alassieth needs me. I'd die for her and if need be, I intend to!"

gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 07:15
At that, Glaedon spun around and glared at his younger brother. "Afraid?" he gasped. "And... and... what makes you think I wouldn't 'die' for Alassieth, too?" the elf snapped, again stung by Lindarion's words.

"How dare you?" Glaedon yelled, and shook his head. "And, if you - for one minute think I'd let you go by yourself..." and fuming, the blond-haired ellon bit back the rest of his reply. His blue eyes flashed fire, and before he realized what he was saying, went on, "It would just serve you right if I did go with you!!"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 07:27
Lindarion's eyes softened with excitement. "You just said that I could go?!" he said in astonishment, but very quietly compared to prior tones. He smiled very slightly. All this was a very unexpected turn of events. But what Glaedon had just said, Lindarion could and evidently was going.

"Do come with me, Glaedon," Lindarion said again, softly. "I need your help. You are a better tracker and you can help me find our sister." His grey-green eyes looked steadily at his brother as he asked Glaedon to join him on his quest.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 10:25
"I said no such thing..." Glaedon began, and then winced visibly. It wasn't often he spoke without 'thinking'... and quite obviously, he'd done so just now. - And... from the look in his brother's eyes, the elf knew there was no 'going back' on it, either. Stupid! the blond-haired ellon railed at himself... but Lindarion was right. Glaedon was better at tracking... and had more fighting-experience, too - if it came to that.

It was 'bad enough' that he'd (accidentally) given Lindarion 'permission' to go after their missing sister... but if Glaedon had shown one hair back at their father's house without his brother in tow, the ellon knew he'd be relegated to the lowest of tasks their sire could find for him to do... and most likely, for at least the next fifty years...

Shaking his head, the elf sighed outwardly... and yet, inwardly, he was aching to make whoever had done this, 'pay' for taking Alassieth prisoner.

But, "Come on," Glaedon mock-growled at his brother, and, slinging his bow and quiver across one shoulder, they began following the tracks heading Northwards.

After a little, Glaedon looked at Lindarion again. "You know," he said conversationally, and gave his sibling a darkling glare... but yet, a hint of a smile touched the ellon's lips. "You know that father's going to tear strips out of both of us when we get back." Me in 'particular'!! he mentally added.

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 09:38
Lindarion nodded gravely. He knew well how their father's wrath might be hard upon them for this disobediance, but in his herioc mindset, he thought this was but little if there was a chance of saving Alassieth.

He followed Glaedon, letting him to lead. The younger elf stared hard at the ground as they followed the tracks. They traveled lightly, leaving hardly any prints themselves. They were, after all, elves. Lindarion did not speak; he was concentrated on their task and his mind grim even despite his few years*.

*for elves.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 10:20
Glaedon had no thoughts about this journey being... 'heroic' as he kept his keen blue eyes on the tracks. His footsteps, as well as Lindarion's, were silent... and left almost no trace of their passage.

Nor did the elf like the 'prickly' feeling that ran down his spine. There was no fear within Glaedon - not for himself, or his brother. But for Alassieth? The Anduin was off to the East of them... and on the West, the Hithaeglir rose ominously... and no matter what time of year it was, a cold wind blew from within the mist-covered peaks... and the Kidnappers were making no attempts to cover their escape.

Who could be so 'bold'? - Or so cruel? What would they want with any elf-maid? - And, in particular... had Alassieth been 'taken' because they wanted her? Or... had their young sister just been 'convenient'?

Hating that questions he couldn't answer wouldn't leave him alone, Glaedon glanced upwards at the sun. - Or... rather, at the red ball glowing in the West. It was barely beginning to 'touch' the highest reaches of the Misty Mountains... and dusk wasn't far behind. Pausing to let Lindarion catch up, the blond-haired ellon met his eyes squarely.

"We'll have to stop for the night, soon, brother," Glaedon said soberly... knowing they could only hope their quarry would do the same... and not being 'quite' sure how Lindarion would 'take' having to stop...

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 07:04
Lindarion was not pleased with the idea of stopping, but he knew it was practical. He nodded and helped his brother in the finding and organizing of a suitable campsite. Little was needed as they traveled with little to carry. Lindarion had packed lembas and that with their cloaks for shelter was enough.

They rested as they watched the stars of Varda appear in the heavens. Lindarion was far from being able to rest. Left without something to focus his energy on, he began to think long and hard about Alassieth. He had know her well and been very close friends with her.

The long put off tears came to his eyes and fell to the ground. He did not wipe them away, but turned his head so that Glaedon might not see. But he knew this would have little effect. His elder brother had always been able to guess what he was thinking...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 07:26
Though tears didn't sting his eyes, Glaedon's heart was as heavy as his brother's.

But, respecting Lindarion's grief, the older ellon merely laid a hand the other's arm - sharing as he could that he, too, missed Alassieth, and was worried about her... And, again, the blond-haired elf wished he'd had more time to spend with both his younger siblings...

As he gazed at the twinkling lights above, and listened to the soft sounds of the night, Glaedon was quite sure that neither one of them would sleep this night - or if at all, not much.
But still, gripping Lindarion's shoulder briefly, the ellon grabbed his bow, and rose. "I'll take first Watch, muindor dithen*... rest if you can. We'll change at the first hour after Midnight..."

* little brother
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 11:11
Lindarion did not react to Glaedon's hand, but he appreciated it. And the words as well. He looked through the darkness as his elder brother kept the watch. Lindarion had always looked up to Glaedon and he thought higher of him than his brother knew.

Glaedon had always been the 'responsible older brother' and had often been else where on important missions... the reason that Lindarion and Alassieth were somewhat removed from him, but both had admired him. So even Glaedon's somewhat stiff consolation ran deep in Lindarion and encouraged him, although his tears were not easily stemmed.

Lindarion tried to rest as much as possible, but found it difficult without lapsing into dreams of sorrow. So he rested as he could, leaning against a tree trunk and staring out into the night.

When Glaedon found him to take the next watch, Lindarion had put aside his grief and nodded without a word, taking his post and hoping that his brother could rest better than he.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 12:08
Sleep? No. Rest? A little. Glaedon had long-since learned the 'knack' of removing one's self from 'outward' things when danger or the necessity of one's situation demanded that Watches and slumber be shared by more than one...

'Dependable' his superiors had told the ellon's father, upon receiving his position in the Lórien Border Guards... 'Not one to shirk his duties' was another. 'Impassive'... almost... 'unemotional' in carrying out his assigned tasks had Glaedon been.

But this... 'situation' (if it could be 'called' that) - was 'different'... for the blond-haired elf could not 'separate' himself from it - it was too... 'close' to his heart. - Yet, Glaedon remained still, his eyes closed to the night, but not in the manner of sleep.

The long hours stretched seeming interminably... and just as Glaedon's time-sense 'told' him dawn was approaching, he heard Lindarion's footsteps, and felt his brother lean over to shake his shoulder.

"I'm awake," he answered, not surprised the younger ellon could wait no longer, and gracefully rose. A breakfast of Lembas and water was shared as they moved out... Glaedon just as glad to get back to hunting for Alassieth as Lindarion was...

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 05:20
Lindarion was up and ready to be on their way before the sun had yet risen. They ran on, the young elf looked at the sky as it lightened. The morning colours were full of yellows and reds at the day came to light.

He hoped that they would make good time and lessen the distance between themselves and the ones who had kidnapped Alassieth. But the tracks showed that they were moving quickly and the brothers were almost a day behind.

Already they had covered many miles. Lindarion could remember this trek somewhat, for he had journied out side of Lorien a few times. Even so, his knowledge of the ways was more limited than Glaedon's.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 06:29
There was little said between the two brothers as they followed their quarry's tracks. Glaedon moved as quickly as he could, his keen blue eyes only lifting from the ground upon occasion, to check their progress. Inwardly, the elf fumed that whoever had taken Alassieth was moving faster than they. Why were they so 'unconcerned' about being tracked? Whatever the reason, it was allowing them to move without regard to anything else.

But, shortly after they crossed the Gladden River, Glaedon slowed - and then stopped. Frowning, the blond-haired ellon searched the ground beneath their feet. It had become rocky... for here was the first touch of foothills from the Misty Mountains... and abruptly, their trail had ended. It would seem that those they were following might not be as stupid as he'd thought!

"Why are we stopping?" Lindarion demanded, and Glaedon could sense his brother's impatience. "I've lost the tracks," the older ellon answered, trying to keep his own voice calm - and telling himself this was naught but a delay. Eventually, he'd find it again... Glaedon was confident in his own abilities, and methodically began a careful search-pattern, seeking any clue as to which direction their sister's captors had taken...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 09:07
"Lost them?" Lindarion repeated in surprise. "But-- you are one of the best trackers of the Lothlorien guard!?" He was about to continue when he thought better of it. He could feel the frusteration rising in him and was trying very hard not to take it out on his brother. Getting upset at Glaedon wasn't going to help since it wasn't his fault.

The younger elf kicked a stone absently. This was incredibly frusterating! They had been chasing them many miles yet it seemed to make no difference; and now with the trail lost, it would mean delay or worse...

Lindarion stared at the expanse of rocky ground before them. And every hour put them farther behind! His eyes wandered around in the vain hopes of seeing some obvious trail. "Eru! Please," he thought, at the same time cursing the kidnappers and their speed.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 09:32
One of the 'best'? - No... while he was very good, Glaedon knew better. - And, even those who he considered in that light would have lost the trail over ground like this...

Nor did it help that he could sense Lindarion's frustration - which only added to his own. - And, almost, Glaedon snapped at his younger brother when he kicked a stone out of the way.

But yet, Lindarion was searching, too - though there was a 'trick' to it, and the older ellon paused to meet his sibling's grey-green eyes with his blue ones. "Don't just 'look', Lindarion!" Glaedon said, with a calm he didn't entirely 'feel'. "You've got to have a 'pattern' to it - otherwise, you're just covering the same ground over and over! You've been watching how I do it - so you start over there," and he pointed to another spot of the rocky area.

"If we both are looking efficiently, we'll find the trail again sooner," Glaedon went on practically - and very hopefully.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 10:14
Lindarion flared up momentarily, but kept himself form saying anything sharply by biting his lip. He sprinted off in the direction his brother pointed out. He was a bit angry that his brother had implied that he wasn't doing anything helpful, even though it had been true. He kicked at another rock.

An hour wore by as the brothers painstakingly searched. Lindarion tried to stay focused the organized manner of his brother, but the longer it took, the more agitated he becames.

Standing up straight and looking around, he just scanned. Then he closed his eyes, trying to imagine the kidnappers as they crossed here. Following the first thought he had, he sprinted ahead randomly, ignoring his brother's suggestions. Stooping, he examined the ground. Nothing!

He looked harder around him, half kneeling and then spiratically ran forward again. A crushed patch of grass. He felt the blades of the grasses carefully and looked ahead. There were other such patches, then more together. They went on for the distance he followed them!

"Glaedon!" he called to his brother, hope rising.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 02:52
It didn't surprise Glaedon that his brother abandoned the methodial search pattern. What 'did', was that Lindarion stuck with it as long as he had.

But, sighing inwardly, the blue-eyed ellon kept on with his own hunt whilst the other began scrambling around. Patience, and - and - thoroughness were what was needed now, but Glaedon knew neither were Lindarion's way - and particularly not with his worry over Alassieth...

Almost, the older elf wished he wasn't as... 'dependable' as he was. - That he, too, could be as open with his feelings as Lindarion...

But, resolutely, he shoved those thoughts to the back of his mind, and moved on... his keen eyes missing nothing...
"Glaedon!" he called to his brother, hope rising

Fighting back another sigh, but yet, eagerly, Glaedon joined Lindarion. - And... yes, there were tracks! But - were they the same? Were these the ones to follow?

Knowing he was trying what little patience his brother had, the blond-haired ellon knelt to study the prints carefully - first in one place - and then another. After a few minutes, he nodded. "You've found them, I think, Lindarion," Glaedon said slowly. "Though... to be sure, I wonder if we shouldn't search some more..."

[Edited on 17/5/2005 by gwendeth]
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 01:11
Lindarion was encouraged greatly by his brother's pronouncement. He helped his brother explore this new trail; he going on ahead a bit less carefully than Glaedon who followed him. Yet as the trail began to leave the rocky area, it grew clearer, until Lindarion could see, without needing his brother's approval, that they had found it again.

Even yet, when at last Glaedon had reached where Lindarion stood and agreed that it was indeed the tracks they were following, the younger brother's eyes sparkled; his grey-green eyes blazing with renewed determination.

"Let us go on!" he said eagerly.

It only took a nod from Glaedon and Lindarion took off. He was keen on making up the hours of lost time as quickly as possible, but Glaedon was forced to remind him to slow down so that they might not lose the trail again, much as he shared his brother's eagerness.

Lindarion bit his lip, but knew that his brother was right. As much as he tried to hide it, Lindarion felt like a horse straining at its ropes... wanting to push on with good cause, but having to not go as swiftly as they might for practical cause...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 01:50
"Lindarion! Slow down!" Glaedon sighed inwardly, but yet again, his little brother had 'taken off', and was going much too quickly. They'd lost enough time as it was... and Glaedon hated he didn't dare go faster, since he, too, was eager to 'make up' for it. But, if they lost the trail again, it would mean even more delay. And so, though he kept them moving, Glaedon made sure he woudn't do so... - Especially, since now, their quarry wasn't moving 'quite' as before.

Well... they were still going as quickly as before - but changing direction often. - But not, in each case, for very long. But always... the trail led Northwards...

A bit of material caught Glaedon's keen eye, and he stopped abruptly. - It was... 'familiar', somehow, though the scrap had obviously been 'trampled' by heavy boots. "Lindarion?" he called, and waited for his brother to join him. "What is it?" Lindarion asked, and to Glaedon, the other's voice was sharp - and 'impatient'... even if it wasn't, really.

But - and again, the blond-haired ellon hated it - but Lindarion did know their sister better... and Glaedon been on Border Guard... and, "What was Alassieth wearing when she left? - Do you remember?" the elf asked soberly, and bent to pick up his discovery. "I think... this pattern is one that she likes - isn't it?"
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 18, 2005 12:29
Lindarion took the piece of cloth and stared long and hard at it. To him there was no question of whose clothing it belonged to. He held the fragment of cloth as though it was something precious, easily able to picture it as a whole in garb upon his sister. This piece, however, was dirty and trodden upon and by no means gently treated.

He closed his hand around it and looked back at Glaedon. "Yes, this belonged to Alassieth. I do not know if it was left by her or by chance let fall. I hope the first. She was very alert always, but I think it may not have been. She would have known father and would not have wanted me to go after her...."

Lindarion stared at the ground, before adding for Glaedon's benefit, "or you either." It was true, although Lindarion was also trying not to let Glaedon feel painfully excluded. Trying not to allow time for this, he finished. "I do not think she would have expected rescue. The tear from her sleeve must mean that they are...." Lindarion tried to think of how to voice "treating her ill". "At least she is still alive," he said attempting to encourage Glaedon.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 18, 2005 12:52
"You don't need to 'mince' words with me, Lindarion," Glaedon met his brother's eyes straightly. "I'm not a fool! I know how close you were..." he began, and immediately changed his own to the 'present' tense. "How close you are to Alassieth! - Nor am I stupid enough to believe whoever has taken her, won't treat our sister as anything other than a prisoner! Most certainly, she'll have been bound - if not gagged to keep from calling out, too."

Hating that he was being so 'blunt', Glaedon gripped the younger elf's arm, sharing again his own worry. "Come on, Lindarion - let's get moving!" he said soberly.

Again, the two brothers headed out, but even the elder stepped up the pace a little. Glaedon had no illusions as to how quickly they might catch up... nor as to how much their quarry 'gained' with even this short pause in their tracking... and once more the elf's keen blue eyes made careful note of the trail. He was-not - if at all possible - not going to lose it again!
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 09:43
Lindarion winced at his brother's blunt, more than harsh words. In his mind he had been trying hard to deny common facts, despite his knowledge of their truth. Glaedon brought them home hard.

He wanted to kick himself for even mentioning his relationship with is sister. It seemed to put him at odds with Glaedon, and much as their differences were, he loved his brother very much. Lindarion's feelings always ran deep. He wished that he could keep his personal feelings in check and not allow them to affect his actions.

Lindarion was encouraged that Glaedon was allowing them to continue faster, but said nothing. The last things he had said had gone amiss. He did not blame his brother, but he tried not feel hurt and downcast.... but those feelings were creeping in all the same.

"This isn't about me," he thought, a bit angry at himself, as he followed his brother, staring at the ground solemnly and watching the trail. "This is about Alassieth, so snap out of it, Lindarion! You are being a fool."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 10:49
The silence was getting on Glaedon's nerves. Not that of the air around them... but between himself and his brother. He wished heartily that he wasn't so much older than Lindarion and Alassieth... and that he'd had more time with his younger siblings. Inwardly, the elf cursed his own nature, for that, too, had kept the three of them 'apart'. Quiet, and even-tempered, the blue-eyed ellon didn't seem to 'fit in' with the other two.

It didn't seem to matter that every spare mintue he'd had, Glaedon preferred to be 'at home' - eschewing leisure time with his few close friends, in favor of spending it with Lindarion - and later, their sister. For, even then it was as if the two of them unconsciously relegated their oldest brother into the same 'light' as thier parents: to be respected; listened to; but not as one who'd take 'part' in such light-hearted activities the other two had liked. Glaedon knew they loved him - after all... he was their brother...

Perhaps, the elf thought, they could use this time to their 'advangate' - he and Lindarion... and Glaedon knew he'd have to make the first step. - Particularly after the short conversation they'd just had. And so, abruptly, the blond-haired ellon stopped, and waited for his brother to catch up. Flushing a little, and though he didn't take his eyes off the trail, he spoke.

"Forgive me, Lindarion - I didn't mean to be so... so... 'blunt'. - And... it's partly my fault - maybe even mostly my own doing - just the way I 'am' that I'm not as close to Alassieth as you are - or even as 'close' as you and I 'ought' to be. I don't know how long it will take us to find her... but... do you think - I'd like us to 'talk' some while we follow the tracks. - It won't slow us down - but maybe, you and I can... can..." and as Glaedon's color deepend, he met his brother's grey-green eyes pleadingly... hoping Lindarion would understand that he wanted to feel the same 'closeness' with his sibling - as that which Lindarion had with their sister...

((OOC: Sorry if it seems 'disjointed' - I spent all morning in the AZ sun planting flowers and my brain's a little 'baked'! :twitch: :dizzy: :rolling: ))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 05:54
Lindarion raised his head from staring at the ground. His brother's eyes for the first time were more open and less military in their pursuit.

"Forgive me, Lindarion - I didn't mean to be so... so... 'blunt'. - And... it's partly my fault - maybe even mostly my own doing - just the way I 'am' that I'm not as close to Alassieth as you are - or even as 'close' as you and I 'ought' to be. I don't know how long it will take us to find her... but... do you think - I'd like us to 'talk' some while we follow the tracks. - It won't slow us down - but maybe, you and I can... can..." and as Glaedon's color deepend, he met his brother's grey-green eyes pleadingly... hoping Lindarion would understand that he wanted to feel the same 'closeness' with his sibling - as that which Lindarion had with their sister...

The young elf smiled faintly. He was appreciative of his brother's interest in 'getting to know him'. His eyes were still glistening with the hints of tears for his sister, though he tried as ever not to show them.

"No, you were right. About Alassieth. I was being foolish to try to hope that... And she and I have always loved you. You were just, away... You were only doing as father wished you to. You are the responsible one, unlike me," Lindarion spoke in stops and starts, trying to decide what to say and in the end not saying much.

Lindarion knew that he was never good at explaining his feelings and thoughts. They rose up inside him and then he could never get them to come out clearly. Alassieth had been one of the few to understand him, though she had been more or a conserved nature herself. Much like a younger carefree Glaedon. It was only his journies that had kep them apart. Lindarion was more than willing to become closer with him.

The young elf waited in the bit of silence that followed his words. Eyes on the trail, trying to keep to being responsible and useful.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 01:48
Glaedon bit his lip. Beside him, the ellon could tell his brother was trying to contain his emotions. Even less than Lindarion did he know how to 'explain' himself. In one sense, he thought it 'ironic' that their sister's kidnapping had led to this opportunity for 'change', so for once, the older elf 'let go' of his own.

"Do you think I wanted to be the 'responsible' one, Lindarion?" Glaedon asked. "To... to 'know' how father would have reacted if I'd been as - as 'open' as you? For all that time before you were born, I did as he asked, and I was happy to! I didn't know anything different... I couldn't imagine anything different! I obeyed his wishes... and trained... and fought... and... after almost three hundred years of 'responsibility', I couldn't change - even if I wanted to! I didn't know how to! And, you know very well I wasn't even there when Alassieth came! I didn't even meet her until she was a year old!"

Glaedon paused, and blinked back angry tears. "You can't know how much I hated each time I was sent off... or was on Border Guard! So many times I wanted to - to just 'play' with you, and her! - Or how..." and the blond-haired elf could say no more, unwilling to add that deep down, how hurt he'd been that neither Lindarion nor Alassieth had ever even asked him to...

[Edited on 21/5/2005 by gwendeth]
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 06:40
This was something wholy new to Lindarion, proving more sorely how little they knew of eachother. To Lindarion, Glaedon had always been what one should wish to be. Lindarion stopped still upon hearing this contradiction from his brother.

Lindarion's grey-green eyes looked Glaedon up and down, searching and questioning. This was also the first time Glaedon had given vent to his inner feelings and actually seemed no longer so far above Lindarion. Lindarion felt sorry for his brother. For the first time he realized that they had lived completely different lives, they were not just different people.

The tears trying to hide in Glaedon's eyes were detected by the sensitive Lindarion. He had never known his brother to cry like this. He had no idea what to say and knew he'd only trip over his words. He just stared at his elder brother in wonder. And then, though he wasn't sure how this would be taken, he embraced Glaedon.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email