Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Facial Expressions in the movies? (all three)
on: January 20, 2004 04:16
FOTR: I have to go with everyone on "They have a cave troll"
for this one.

TTT: The look on Faramir's face after Frodo tells him not to shoot Gollum. I know some people have complained about this particualr expression, but I think it's great. Silly little Frodo actually thought he could decieve Faramir, hahahaha.

Can we add Rotk faces now or is that a separate forum?
Macilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 05:00
I have quite a few. Here's some of them (probably won't get all).

FOTR EE: I just absolutely love the look of disgust on Aragorn's face when he looks over at Gimli when he's snoring while their in Lothlorien.

FOTR EE: The looks on Aragorn and Haldir's faces when Gimli says what he says when there up in the trees.

FOTR: The look on Legolas' face when Gimli says he's joining the Fellowship.

TTT EE: What just completely cracks me up is Aragorn's face when he starts spilling out Eowyn's stew and then when she turns around again.

TTT EE: The look on Merry's face when he says "three-foot eight" at the Ent Draught part

I'm sure I could think of plenty more, but that's a start anyway.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 09:14
Some of my favorites are funny and some are not.
1. The look on Frodo's face after the loss of Gandalf. It was like the moment that his innocense was lost.
2. The look on Frodo's face when he sees Galadriel.
3. The look on Merry and Pippin's faces when they see Galadriel.
4. Legolas' smiling at Gimli, after Gimli tells him of Galadriel's gift to him.
5. Legolas' expression at the loss of Boromir.

1. Legolas' expression when Eomer tells Gimli that he would cut off his head.
2. The expression on Pippin and Merry's faces when they find Saroman's store room.

Is it just me, or does Legolas kinda laugh a little bit when Gimli says, "You couldn't have picked a better spot."? I'm not sure if I saw a little smirk on his face or not, but I think so.
Aradon_Inziladûn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 11:18
Fotr

The look on Elronds face when Merry and Pippin are rushing in to the council.(It`s like, "what is going on,have i no control anymore?")
Gandalfs look when he sits in Bag End, smoking and thinking by the mantlepiece.

Fotr extended
The look on gimlis face when Legolas replies with "why doesn`t that supries me" when they are talking about secret doors outside moria

TTT
The face of Grima looking out on the incredible large army of orcs in Isengard.
The I-want-to-kill-you-look Eomer gives Gimli when he replies"give me your name and I shall give you mine".
The rather supriesed look of Sam when Frodo says to Faramir that there is no other.

SPOILER FOR THE SLOW ONES
Rotk

Elronds face when Arwen hugs Aragorn.I love that Expression.
Smyagols face when he first sees the ring.
Many more but you have already mentioned them.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 07:12
to update now that ROTK is out:

Frodo smiling back at the other hobbits at the Grey Havens as he steps onto the ship (my favorite of all). I must admit I melted into a blithering idiot and cried (and not all sadly).

Aragorn when he turns around and says 'For Frodo'

Pippin when Gandalf is talking to him about death and what he will see

Frodo when he says 'the ring is mine' - scary as all get out but great acting and expression. The face of an angel looking incredibly evil.

Legolas when he says to Gimli 'what about with a friend'

oh dear, again there are so many; but as usual just about everytime Frodo is on screen - his whole role/character is bound up in his expressions because he often doesn't say a whole lot, but Elijah conveys so much with his face, especially of course with those incredible eyes.
White_Lady_of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 11:14
Elronds face when Arwen hugs Aragorn.I love that Expression.
haha, I love that one too. he was like "my little girl's growing up so fast! *sniffle*"
I also like:
~when Arwen gets the vision of her son
~when Pippin's face lights up when Faramir first sees him
~hehehe, the "cute" orc, who fired an arrow and he was like "hey, I got one! go me!"
~The smile between Eowyn and Faramir at Aragorn's coronation. So sweet.
~"For Frodo"
~Gandalf's tear near the end of the last battle.
~When Frodo was being carried by Gwahir.
danicolman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 01:29
Anything that involves Elrond's eyebrows. He has the most fantastic eyebrows.

Legolas at Boromir's death - look, folks, this cracks me up every time. There's Aragorn and Boromir playing out this wonderful, beautiful tear-jerker of a scene, and Legolas comes round the corner looking pleasantly inquisitive. "Oh? What is this? A death? Why, how interesting!"

Having said that, Legolas does more than redeem himself in RotK, when Aragorn is being stepped on by that monster of a troll. That look of pure, unadulterated terror is wonderful; it was the first time in the trilogy Orlando Bloom had really hit me hard.

Aragorn's face in Frodo's bedroom - it's the first time he smiles in all three films! Well, except when Gimli talks about dwarf women, at which point Eowyn's face breaks into the most lovely grin.

And last for now, the look on Merry and Pippin's faces when Sam finally approaches Rosie - beat that for laugh-out-loud charm!

Dani
daffadowndilly
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 02:35
Theoden at helm's deep when it starts raining.
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 04:20
Well it's time to add my ROTK faces:

Theoden's expression when the nazgul and oliphants first show up. That "oh no" look just strikes me as so human.

Faramir's after Denethor says he wishes he were dead instead, just looking at it makes me want to cry, and Pippin's reaction too.

Eomer's face while charging, wow, although it kinda makes me laugh, i would not want to be in his way.

Frodo's when he refuses to destory the ring, I didn't think Elijah could look that scary.
danicolman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 11:07
Theoden's face when he sees the Witch-King in the Pelennor fields battle. I'm not sure what it says, but it speaks such volumes. Almost "it's not supposed to end this way".

Dani
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 11:12
OK, I have two for this one, and they're both Leoglas ones, I'm afraid... The first is when Aragorn introduces Eomer to Legolas - if looks could kill, Eormer'd be pushing up the daisies!

Second one is when Theoden says: 'Leave the dead.' There is a mixture of emotion on dear old Leggy's face at that point - anger, grief, sadness, disbelief and how-could-you-say-that? I tend to judge an actor on how they portray emotion, and I think it's safe to say that Orlando does a damn fine job of it - it's all in the eyes, and you can always see everything in his eyes.

Lindir
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 04:40
Too many to remember all at once, but off the top of my head:-

Boromir - "They have a cave troll". Loved Sean Bean there.

Pippin when he saw Treebeard's eyes. Hysterical and brilliantly done.

Faramir when his father said he wished he'd died instead of Boromir.

And I might have missed it - but has anyone mentioned Gollum's face in Osgiliath when Sam was doing his good/evil speech? That was so sad!

Gollum when he looked back at Sam as Frodo took him by the hand in ROTK. Sly or what!!

Legolas when he said "He is here". Scary!

Aragorn - "My friends, you bow to no-one".

Pippin when he knocked the skeleton down the well in Moria. You felt for him, but it was funny as well.

Merry when he ran up the tower to see Gandalf/Pippin leaving.

Frodo when he saw that Gandalf was alive.

I thought Elijah did a grand job as Frodo - but it has to be said, as a hobbit he's beautiful; as a human he looks a bit odd to me! I think his hair is too short for starters - those black curls in the film really suited him, as did the false blue eyes. He looked absolutely stunning as Frodo.

For sheer cuteness, most of Pippin's expressions were brilliant - ranging from mischievous, to curious, to sad, to downright scared. I can't praise Billy Boyd enough - especially as when I first saw that he had been chosen for Pippin I thought it was the worst possible choice! :dizzy:

Half_Hobbit141
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 02:08
I like when Pip knocks the skeleton into the well and shudders when it makes a loud noise.
CelticMoon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 10:25
I love this pic!
http://www.ninecompanions.net/funnypics/captions_s3_31.jpg
In case the link doesn't work it's when Gandalf says "A Balrog. A demon on the ancient world." and then it shows Legolas' face and he looks so darn cute! lol.

Lady_Joan_of_Ingatestone
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 03:46
"A demon of the ancient world!"

That's one of Legolas's best expressions, although it looks kind of silly in that link. Half his face is glowing with the torchlight, half is dark.... and he looks so scared! Fear and regognition all at once. "Of all elf-banes the deadliest" - it's like he's thinking "It's coming for meeeeeee..."

Also how Gandalf's expression changes when Frodo sees the lettering on the Ring in Bag End: First Frodo says "Nothing" and Gandalf starts to look relieved, then he says "Wait-" and Gandalf is suddenly fearful again.

Funny one: when the Fellowship is standing in front of Galadriel, there is a shot of Merry just STARING at Galadriel with his mouth hanging open... I was waiting for someone to jab him in the ribs and hiss, "Ss! Shut yer trap!"

In RotK: After Pippin sings his song, he sort of looks at a loss, and turns away, shutting his eyes tightly to keep from crying. It's the saddest look...

And finally, when Eomer takes off his helmet to talk to Aragorn & Co. At this moment in the film, I decided that Eomer was the most perfectly cast role in the whole trilogy, and I'm not sure if I've changed my mind at all! Whenever he does that eyebrow thing... ::sigh::
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 04:17
My definate favorite are at the near end of FotR when Frodo is standing with the single tear running down his cheek with the ring outstretched in his hand. Also, I absolutely love the end of TTT (towards the end, that is) when Frodo is taken by the ring a bit and when the Nazgul comes and Frodo says in this creepy voice "They are coming!" *Squeels in delight* I love that:drool: Hehe
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 03:19
I adore Legolas' glower at Eomer when Aragorn introduces them both after Legolas nearly poked his eye out with an arrow. Hilarious.

Also his sad expressions - Orlando tends to do emotional faces very well, which is great...

The look Gollum gives Sam in RotK when Frodo says: "I'm not sending him away! Come on, Smeagol." That has to be the most b*****d look that I have ever seen!

That little twich that Saruman's eyebrow does when Grima goes: "They will have women ... and children with them..." Purest evil - I love it!!

Legolas' look of purest triumph that he gives Gimli after taking down the Mumak - it just says: "Nah nah nahnah nah!" it's great!

Gimli's what can only be described as a 'look' at Legolas in TTT EE when Legolas shoots the Orc he's sat on - it's just a "You *?!~#!*"

Faramir's pained expression when Denethor tells him that he wishes he'd died instead of his brother. His eyes were just so touching I cried myself!

OK, methinks that's it - can't think of any others at the mo.

Lindir
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 06:31
Definitely the sort of half glazed, "you think you're fooling us, but I've got your number, you miserable little maggot" look Sam gives Gollum in ROTK after Frodo narrowly stops him from beating Gollum to death.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 07:56

In RotK: After Pippin sings his song, he sort of looks at a loss, and turns away, shutting his eyes tightly to keep from crying. It's the saddest look...

I hope the EE will add a bit of depth to that scene by showing the bond that developed between Pippin and Faramir.

Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 10:27
Mine is that really stupid looking face Miranda Otto pulls as she watches the Witch-King fling Théoden across the battle-field. Just a shame it was Miranda Otto that destroyed the entire scene and made me hate one of my all time favourite scenes.
jerri
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 02:14
My favorite expression was when Farimir is pointing out gollum to Frodo And he's about ready to signal to his men to shoot and Frodo stops him Farimir has a suprised look. And I think Farimir is cute anyway
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 02:29
1. Gandalf's face, rather childlike with glee as he rushes into the tent to prepare the fireworks during Bilbo's party; while's he's actually chuckling.

2. Elrond during the prologue, all dark bladelike elfin fury during the big battle.

3. Aragorn's giving Boromir The Look of quiet steel when Boromir irreverently fingers the shards of Narsil. Oooohhh. Boromir blusters and backs off; well, so would I.

4. Sam's face as he charges into Strider's room at the inn, yelling 'let him go or I'll have you, Longshanks!'; I think he's brandishing a chair or putting up his fists but boy is he angry, thinking that the big bad Ranger is out to harm Mr. Frodo.

5. Boromir's grinning mug while Merry and Pippin down and tickle him in the Misty Mountains. The first and last time we saw Denethor's heir in a happy, unguarded moment.

6. That look of terror and imminent doom shared by Gandalf and Frodo as Gandalf says "fly, you fools" right before plummetting to his presumed death off the bridge of Khazad-Dum..

7. Frodo, looking utterly lost and bereft, as they stop to rest after escaping from Moria.

8. Theoden's face as he returns to sanity and vigor after Gandalf releases him from Saruman's spell.

9. Okay, cheating here I know, but I'll combine three moments in one number - Faramir trotting up to his father after Boromir praises him, hoping that maybe Denethor will say a kind word, you can just see the hope in his eyes, and then Denethor just cuts him down verbally. Faramir saying farewell to Boromir, Faramir's eyes are huge and filled with emotion and it's as if he knows he'll never see his brother alive again. (those two scenes are in the extended edition of the TTT..)And then there's Faramir's tight-lipped resolve as he rides to what he believes is his death at his father's command.

10. Sam's determination as he lifts up Frodo and carries him in the final leg of the climb up the mountain of fire...

RAKSHA THE DEMON
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 11:55

9. Okay, cheating here I know, but I'll combine three moments in one number - Faramir trotting up to his father after Boromir praises him, hoping that maybe Denethor will say a kind word, you can just see the hope in his eyes, and then Denethor just cuts him down verbally.

RAKSHA THE DEMON

God yes....well remembered. Tho how could anyone (i.e. me) forget! That was a chilling moment.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 02:29
No, I didn't read through 5 pages to see if anyone else had posted this...

IMO, the best expressions are Elrond's: his horror at Isildur's treachery in keeping instead of destroying the Ring; his compassion at Frodo's bedside at Rivendell; his grave authority at the Council; the determined challenge as he gives Anduril to Aragorn in Theoden's tent; the intense fear when he notices Arwen's hands growing cold; the sorrow mingled with joy as Arwen goes to Aragorn at the coronation.
Irethyne
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 12:07
Pippin's face when he and Merry are having their little feast at Isengard and they are met by the others after their long separation. I also like the way he says: "and the pork is particularly good".
Also the part when the two Hobbits drink and are dancing on the table. Their facial expressions are just crazy!

Elrond's face when he gives Arwen to the King. I am almost sure that the expression Hugo Weaving had was quite real. He wasn't acting when it looks like he's about to burst in tears, since I read most of the crew around was crying at that scene.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 01:56
hmmm... i'm gonna start with the funny faces...
ok, i could only find this on a spoof site, but i love pippin's face here. [img]http://www.lotrspoofs.com/spoofs/fotr/1c4mpf1r3.jpg [img]
POE-tay-toes... give it to us RAW and WR-r-r-iggling! both sam and gollum...
Frodo's face in fotr at bilbo's party when he dances and then pushes sam in to dance with rosie (if you haven't already read what i said about that dance, i think it's the cutest thing ever!)
hobbit dance! merry and pip on the bar in isengard, was it? i think so..
pippin's scrunched up face look after he knocks the skeleton and bucket down the well

Serious
Eomer... well, just eomer, i love eomer, yeah, ok, *runs off to casting forum*
and another from a spoof site; ignore the caption, and the face is what i'm talking about [img]http://www.lotrspoofs.com/spoofs/ttt/caparagorntrip.jpg [img]

Sad
Faramir, almost all the time, except at the end of rotk and in his little itty-bitty part in ttt
pippin, after his "All Shall Fade" part...
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 09:28
Just looking at TTT - and the saddest expression (and there are a lot of choices) imo, is when Boromir and Denethor are embracing, and you see Faramir watching. That guy is some actor.....can you not just feel his pain, his longing. His expression is just heart wrenching.
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 06:47
No, I didn't read through 5 pages to see if anyone else had posted this...

ditto

mine are-
frodo in fotr when gandalf has just died-

pippin in rotk when hes holding the palantir-

pippin in rotk when hes separated from merry-

merry when eowyn scoops him up in rotk that is so funny!

frodo in rotk when hes crawling up mt doom w/ the ring pulling his neck down-

and finally, and most importantly- frodo in mt doom when he turns around w/ the ring, and when he leaves for the havens:cry::love:

i tend to go for the more emotionally disturbing or humorous ones, i loved this:http://www.lotrspoofs.com/spoofs/fotr/1c4mpf1r3.jpg!! thanx g2g!!!
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 02:59
1. Gandalf at the council when he's the first to hear Frodo ..."I willl take it"...

2. Borromirs face ..a."they have a cave troll" b. "what new devilry is this" (balrog is coming) c. talking with Aragorn about Minas Tirith in Lothlorien.

3. Pippin when he and Gandalf meet Faramir ..."you've seen Frodo and Sam!"

4. Faramir (TTT EE) going out to meet Boromir. "nice speech...." also in ROTK yes, the scene where he's heartbroken that Daddy Denethor wants him dead. Even worse, when he's on the horse in armor, leaving Minas Tirith for battle, his expression is so sad, his voice so defeated and hopeless.

5. Aragorn when Boromir dies

6. Gollum (TTT EE) turning and giving Farmir a very nasty look when leaving Osgiliath.

[Edited on 19/2/2004 by FaramirsQuality]
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:09
I have quite a few *lol* I luv Gollum's expression in The Two Towers when he turns back around after saying "The Dead Marshes, yes, yes, that is their name". And also, in TTT, the look on Sam's face when Frodo says "it's mine, it's my task, my own!" is so adorable.

[Edited on 22/2/2004 by gothic_angel]
Gwilwilethien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:01
My two favorites are both Legolas:
His look when Gimli says: And my axe! (hee hee I can't even write it without going mad with laughter),
and the 'You would die before your stroke fell' one. Hee hee! OMG look at me! I'm totally mad. I'm laughing alone behind my computer. Hee hee, who cares!
Minuiël
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 07:47
Fav expression no doubt Smeagols face being questioned by Faramir 'what did they take?' 'myyy precious' and he lets out the scream! Brilliant!

[Edited on 22/2/2004 by Minuiël]
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 07:56
Aw, yeah! I love that part too! Actually, Smeagol/Gollum has got the best expressions in the movies *hehe*

I luv it in RotK when Sam's trying to beat him up, and Smeagol runs behind the tree and screams *lmao* I just that's funny *lol*
AgentElrond
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 11:47
FotR: At the Council of Elrond when Merry and Pippin ran in and Elrond showed off the "Eyebrows of Doom"

TTT: My favorite was in the EE DVD when Aragorn starts blushing when he tells Eowyn how old he is.

RotK: At Aragorn's Coronation when Elrond starts laughing while Aragorn is kissing Arwen.
smiknab
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 06:56
My fav. is in FOTR when gandalf shoots off the little fire works for the kids and the old lady who's sweeping her poarch gives him a nasty look
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email