Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4243444546Last >>
Author Topic:
Galadriel87
Council Member
Send Message
Hallo!
I stumbled across this site about 2-3 days ago and began with the Sindarin lessons and so far am in love with the language! I read the Hobbit multiple times about 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the movies as well as the Lord of the Rings movies. Unfortunately, I've yet to read the books, but learning Sindarin has made me rekindle my love for LoTR and I am going to read them the minute I get the chance as well as rewatch all the movies. I saw a random YouTube video of a girl speaking Elvish and I thought it sounded amazing, so this website was the first I found with any sort of proper instruction and I cannot wait to continue.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Hello and welcome Galadriel87. Glad to have you joining our site! If you've not read the LotR books, you're missing out on something . Enjoy and good luck with learning Elvish.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Seron
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen everyone. I'm Seron.

Im not really a newbie. Ive actually been a member of CoE for a while now (the member list has my sign-up date in March of 2002, so a LONG while already). Ive posted maybe a few times way back when (dont remember when, actually); have wanted to participate more but life intervenes: school (around the time I
originally joined); work (now); family (always). Doesnt leave a lot of time for fun stuff like Elvish (Im sure those of you who have or have had kiddos understand).

Ive been interested in Middle-Earth (the cultures, languages, scripts, etc.) since I was about 12 or 13 when I started reading through The Hobbit for the first time -- so it's been about 20 years or so. Like a lot of "noobz" in the area of Elvish I went out and got a copy of Ruth S. Noel's Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth, as there wasnt a lot of info on Elvish on the net at that time. When the first of PJ's LotR movies came out, Elvish language info seemed to just explode, so I ate it up ravenously and mostly taught myself how to compose stuff in Quenya and Sindarin using the movie dialogues as guides. I havent really done any "formal" courses in there entirety, though I do have a few (Helge Fauskanger's Quenya course; Thorsten Renk's courses on Neo-Quenya and Neo-Sindarin). I do my best to stay up to date with anything concerning Elvish.

Looking forward to getting back into Elvish; even if it's just talking about it in general.

-- S --
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Seron, welcome back to CoE! It's always great to have old members return. I'm amazed you still knew the password . We've still got some of the greatest Elvish resources on the web. The site has died down a little, but as you can see we're still manning the fort, or should that be Keep. Enjoy and please stick around!
Dinroswen
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone! I'm Dinroswen (or Gwaithovornien, that's the translation of my real name into Sindarin). I actually joined in early March, but I didn't see the welcome message I got, which led me here, until today. A few things you should know about me are that I am a real big reader and writer, reading anything from Fantasy to Dystopian, writing mostly poetry. I am engrossed by the elvish language and hope to learn either Sindarin or Quenya, or both, before I graduate high school, however since I'm taking Latin right now I'm not sure if I'll be able to learn any elvish without mixing it up with Latin. But even before I knew about this website I had learned the elvish runes and have been writing my poetry with them. I greatly wish to become fluent in Latin and elvish, but I think the best way to go about it would be to become fluent in first one then the other, in which case I would learn Latin first. I am in my third year of Latin right now and have three more to go. But I know I will continue to write at least in elvish runes, whether or not I can write in the language.
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Dinroswen, welcome to our site. If you're a big fan of languages and reading, you've come to the right place to discuss it! Have a look at the Books forum if you like, it's a good place to start, as are the Elvish forums. Enjoy!
Phedra
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, I'm Phedra! A friend of a friend told me about CoE when she learned that I'm trying to learn Elvish and that I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I'm excited to be a member of this website.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi there Phedra, welcome to the Council of Elrond! You've come to the right place to learn Elvish. Good luck with the lessons.
oceanlily
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hello
on: May 27, 2016 03:19
I've recently discovered this site. I've been a Tolkien fan since my uni days around the turn of the century. Absolutely adored the films when they came out and occasionally binge watch them when I feel the need!

I'm particularly enamoured by the grace of the elves and am finding this website fascinating for both learning their languages and discovering their history.

The reason I found this website, was because I am writing an article on elves for a new magazine and I needed to do some more in depth research. I'd love to ask someone some questions about middle earth and particularly about elven history so if anyone has time and would like to chat to me please do!!!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Oceanlily, welcome to CoE. You'll find plenty of data for your research on our site. We've become a bit like Imladris in it's final days: bereft of most of it's inhabitants, but still filled with lore and knowledge. Enjoy exploring every nook and cranny, you'll be amazed at what you find!
Neurion Lancaeron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello,

Kind of been floating around the website for awhile as a guest for the last 9 months with the hope to learn elvish (Sindarin.) And I said I'd introduce myself and bite the bullet and make an account. Loved TLOTR movies but sadly never read the books and I'm halfway through the Hobbit at the moment. Always loved elvish folklore etc and cant wait to get involved.
"Not all who wander are lost."
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Neurion Lancaeron, welcome to CoE! It's never too late to join . Many members hang around for a while before making an account. Enjoy your membership!
Gwylonna Elf-friend
Council Member
Send Message
Post just saying hey
on: June 29, 2016 03:35
Hello,
i came across this site when i was looking for stuff on the elvish languages and i really can't decide weather i should learn Sindarin or Quenya.I loved all the movies and read all the books, well i am currently reading Silmarillion...
Little by little, one travels far.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome to CoE Gwynlonna! Why not just try to learn both . Try them out, see which you like best, and pick one or just continue with both, it's as you like best. Good luck and enjoy the site!
Captain Boromir
Council Member
Send Message
Hello I just signed up today. I am also on the Arwen Undomiel forum site but I figure you can't ever have enough Middle-Earth so I though I would try this out as well.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome Captain Boromir!
Elrohir Elanesse
Council Member
Send Message
Ay there. I call myself Elrohir because that is my real name translated into Elvish (I think Sindarin, but I'm not sure). I joined this forum about four years ago when I was 10, actually, but have never really posted. I found this site while trying to find a way to learn Elvish. I have read the Hobbit twice, and seen all of the movies (including the LotR movies) at least once, some of them twice. I haven't read the Lord of the Rings books yet, as I have deiced to read the Silmarillion first.
~Elrohir Elrond Elanesse
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi there Elrohir, welcome to CoE. It's a good thing you didn't post your introduction 4 years ago, as this site is PG-13 and we'd be legally obliged to close your account .
Good luck with the Silmarillion. It's a tough nut to crack sometimes, so if you get discouraged, just give the LotR a try first. You can read it without any issues, no need to have gone through the Silmarillion first. Good luck and enjoy the reading!
Anna_elena
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!
I came across this site while I was looking for pictures of Telperion and Laurelin. I saw this beautiful painting, and the link underneath led me to this site. And I love it! It is so nice to see how many people share my passion ! I've read all the Lord of the Rings books, and am currently reading the Silmarillion
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Anna_elena, glad to have you with us. That's a novel reason for joining the site, always great to see people visiting us for multiple reasons!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Captain Boromir said: Hello I just signed up today. I am also on the Arwen Undomiel forum site but I figure you can't ever have enough Middle-Earth so I though I would try this out as well.
Hey Captain! Welcome! Good to see you here! Still avoiding getting in the way of Uruk Hai arrows I see!

Welcome Anna_elena! I hope you return to grace this place with your presence.

[Edited on 08/02/2016 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Welcome Boromir! Yup, same Evil Shieldmaiden here.
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, Captain Boromir! It's nice to have another member of Arwen Undomiel on here (you'll know me as Marida on that site). Ignore the username, since I'm not that into Thorin anymore (not that I hate him, I'm just more into some of my other fandoms at the moment).

[Edited on 09/07/2016 by Lady Oakenshield]
Foedhrass
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen. I found this forum via a "useful Tolkien sites" post on tumblr and I'm really glad that I came upon it, because I am desperately looking for help on a Quenya phrase I need to translate for a cosplay.

I'm a Tolkien fan from Germany, like many others since the first LotR movie came out (although I read the books first, between Christmas and watching FotR the first time early 2002). The Silmarillion is my favourite book - I'm almost drawn to ancient mythology, so no surprise there - and I'm utterly fascinated by the languages that Tolkien created.

At this year's HobbitCon I cosplayed a Silmarillion character (Ambarussa/Amras) and I loved it, so my next Silmarillion cosplay is already in the works. I hope I can find someone here to help me with a Quenya translation for an inscription... will go post it the the appropiate forum now.

AnnEllspethRaven
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hello
on: August 12, 2016 08:28
I joined a few days ago, when I found I was coming here more and more often for writing resources...this site is loaded with amazing wonders, and I look forward to exploring it.

The first time I read LoTR was in 1983 or thereabouts, and read it again and again too many times. I always wished I had a deeper understanding of Tolkien's creation, but much of it seemed dense and inaccessible to me when I was younger. Years and the Silmarillion, Histories of ME, the Jackson films, and discovering fan fiction later, I've become a somewhat obsessed writer immensely enjoying the headlong plunge into all things elvish.

I write Thranduil stories, which has proven to be a big enough hobby; I publish my stories under this same username on AO3 and a few other sites. Most of them are what I call "tastefully explicit." High quality writing, extensive character development and believable settings are very important to me, thus all the research.

Currently I'm trying to learn Sindarin and Tengwar, to enhance those fan fictions. Yet while the writing is fun, delving into the vast resources online concerning the scope of Tolkien's work has been the real reward. Glad to be here
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Ann Ellspeth Raven! I like your description of your tales! will go to A03 and read your writings! I believe I'm registered there as my tales were moved there from Henneth Annun and I kept ownership. I at one time taught myself Tengwar calligraphy based solely on the information in the Appendices (pre-internet) but unfortunately many skills that have been learned have fallen into disuse.

Again, welcome to the Council! Hope to see you around!

Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lord Damras
Council Member
Send Message
Hi folks am new here... read LoTR and Hobbit twice, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales once.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Lord Damras! That's a pretty comprehensive background that you've amassed! Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
So... I've heard from a couple people who have registered here recently saying that they can post after registering, but when they try and log in again, a 'confirmation' email is required, and they apparently don't get one, so they are locked out from posting. It would explain the hundreds of people who post here for one to a dozen or so posts their first run, and never return. They usually go off to other, better working sites. Understandable, because it seems the effort to get everything working to get on here regular (confirmation emails, blacklists, broken linking, etc.) makes it easier to go elsewhere. I understand that Imladris was a hard place to find, let alone get into, but this is kind of sad really. Yet another bug in this once-good site. There is really no point in welcoming people as chances are they will be prevented from returning due to tech issues.
LessienElessar
Council Member
Send Message
Sooo..... i'm actually not new here.... just realized i logged in around 2012 last time.... (oops!) I'm so sorry But hey, i'm back now so i'll re-introduce myself
My name is Femke, i'm now 24 years old, and i have been madly in love with everything Lord of the Rings since i was 9, so you can imagine me and LOTR go waaaay back. I'm from the Netherlands but currently doing an internship in Madrid, Spain, as i am a Translation and Interpretation student, studying both English and Spanish. For that same reason i want to get back in learning Sindarin. I stopped a few years back but now i'm a Translation student i thought, hey why not, and now it may actually be easier for me to keep up. Well nice to meat you all and i hope to be able to stick around for longer this time.
~Not all those who wander are lost~ J.R.R. Tolkien
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Lessien Elessar!
Hope you don't run into some of the tech issues when trying to come back.
LessienElessar
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:Welcome Lessien Elessar!
Hope you don't run into some of the tech issues when trying to come back.

I haven't so far. I didn't receive my registration email but it turned out to be in my spam folder, but other than that its all good
~Not all those who wander are lost~ J.R.R. Tolkien
eruanna_silvertounge
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen,

I'm new to the Council of Elrond, although I'm not new to world of the Lord of the Rings. I am from Alaska and 17 years old.

I accidentally came to CoE when I was looking for ways to create leather arm bracers from an old boot! XD

My hobbies include; reading, music (playing and listening), drawing, learning, and obsessing over fandoms.

I was introduced to the LOTR universe when I was young and my family watched the movies. I fell in love with the culture and scenery and swords (pretty much the whole thing). My father has read all the books when he was a boy and he has the gold edition of the Hobbit. My father and I have riddle offs like Bilbo. So excited to meet fellow fans.

Thank you!

Ambarad
Council Member
Send Message
Hi guys, My real name is Alex (19) and I'v been interested in the Tolkien universe since I was 6 years old. I first watched the lotr movies, then I read the books several times. Being a gamer, I played almost every LOtR game. When the first hobbit movie came out I decided to read the Silmarilion (but not The Hobbit...). When the second hobbit movie came out I got motivated to read the unfinished tales. I dont know how i got into penmanship but I am currently learning to write tengwar and I wish to use it as much as I can. After thinking about it for a while I realised that it would be nice to join a tolkien oriented community (since I'm obviously such a big tolkien nerd). I googled tolkien online communities and found CoE and decided to give it a go.

p.s I hope my English is good enough for the community cause its not my native language (I'm from Balkan btw
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Hello eruanna silvertongue and Ambarad.

[Edited on 06/30/2017 by gondolinian]
<< First4243444546Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email