Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2021222324Last >>
Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message

I hope all of the FoF's have a wonderful 2017.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Same to you, ES!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and that the new year begins with hope and joy for you.

We are currently in S. Ontario visiting my husband's side of the family. Hoping to pop in on my brothers and sister as well. Spoke with our Norwegian relatives by Skype yesterday – what a handy program! Although there is no snow here the biting wind yesterday made it seem colder than the -18 Celsius in our hometown.

It's nice to be away from most of the every day drudgery and to spend some time with my husband elderly mother who is managing so far in her own home.

We had a few friends over to toast the professor on Tuesday night. Had a lovely discussion ranging all across topics including both Middle Earth and the rest of the world. There is nothing like good company on a winters night. Of course that made it a bit difficult to get up at 4 AM to get our youngest son to the airport for his flight back to Winnipeg and us for our flight down here. Fortunately we were able to snooze a bit on the plane and so the ordeal is done.

I did read the Lay of Aotrou and Itroun. Of course the poetry and imagery were lovely, but it's mostly literary fare. Looking forward to the Lay of Beren and Luthien later this year.

Wishing you all much joy, health and happiness in 2017.

[Edited on 01/06/2017 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Same to you, Neenime.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Thanks for the well-wishes, Neenime! I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2017 as well.

The weather here has gone from monsoons and flooding, to cold and dry. My Alabama-boy, Oscar, has decided he's not much of a fan of the cold, although he does make brief forays out to do his business. The silly dog hates his sweater so we're having a bit of a tussle over it right now. LOL I did discover that he loves snow though which is a blessing since we're supposed to get some this weekend.

I don't actually mind the cold, or the snow for that matter. I just hate it when it starts to melt and then freezes into a skating rink as the temperatures drop in the evenings. Since we're somewhat in the country-bumpkin zone, we don't get plowed until everything else is done (or until I've just finished shovelling the driveway and the plow piles up heavy chunks of ice at the bottom of it). Mind you, I've been extra cautious because I'm driving a new car in winter for the first time. I knew exactly what the old car would do in every kind of weather, but the new car is still a bit of a mystery.

I hope everyone has recovered from the festive season and has a nice quiet weekend.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I wish to all of you a very good year,little joys leading to the path of happiness.

Since the 16th of december we had 5 snowstorms,big ones.Last week, we shovelled and put the snowblower to work 3 times.Very cold temperature -16C during the day and -27C at night.

Tomorrow we may have to shovel off the snow from the roof it's getting quite thick and we're supposed to have rain on tuesday and wednesday with a max of 5C.This is completely crazy!

Now what do I say in january after the holidays?...Is it spring yet!!!

A good evening to all
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Oh Dimple, what a lot of snow to deal with! I hope it settles down for a while.

We had a lovely second Christmas with my husband's family. We all wore our embroidered shirts to Christmas Even dinner, which is a major holiday in our tradition. Carollers came in costume and sang together.

We were supposed to fly home yesterday, but the weather was inclement both here and at home. We arrived early at the airport, expecting bad driving conditions, though they were fine. The problem was the airport at home. The runway was not safe due to heavy snow. Finally, after waiting on the tarmac for half an hour or so, the flight was cancelled.

We calculated that we spent 6 hrs at the airport. Thats hard in the body, even thiugh we got uo and walked a little and srretched from time to time. I am just not used to sitting for so long.

Today the snow has diminished at home, so we are hopeful that we will make it back. I feel bad for the clients whose appointments had to be cancelled today. That's the trouble with winter travel, its very unpredictable.

Hope you are all well and not suffering too much with the winter.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We've been having cold spells in Germany since January, nothing arctic, certainly, but below-average (long-term) for sure. The current one of several day has seen night - well morning, about 8 AM - temperatures dropping well below -10°C (that would be 14°F, but the lows were mostly single-digit °F). Not surprising with clear skies every night, and no southern wind-streams sending us warm air from the Sahara via the Mediterranean (which could lead to some serious snow-falls first, and then some nasty flooding). Been distributing bird-feed, as has a neighbor to our left as seem from our loggia (meaning from the fourth of four entrances of our eight-upper-floor, four-entrance "sky-scraper" ) has also been doing. Most of the feed-stuff seems to also to be considered quite edible by the rabbits, hares and squirrels around here.

[Edited on 01/23/2017 by Gandolorin]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We've been having more seasonable weather here on the Island. The snow drops are beginning to come through, and the sun has been warmer. Hopefully, we won't get any more of the cold weather we've had for the past month. Also, hopefully, we're done with the heavy rainfall.

Everybody has been out mowing their lawns, and I definitely need to do mine as well. It seems odd considering we had snow on the ground up until it warmed up just before the weekend. The snow hides a multitude of jobs. The high wind have distributed bits and pieces around the yard as well which should be cleaned up and disposed of.

Otherwise, the dog and I are enjoying our daily outings. Have an awesome week FoF members.

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Hello everyone. Christmas and New Years and Tolkien toasting day over and I can not believe it is almost February. I hope you all had great holidays . It is a new year and Lily is doing great in pre-school and is being a great big sister. Her little brother Ronin is had to have surgery on his eyes and he is doing great with them now. No snow here Dimple but oh my goodness you sure have and hope you are doing well. ES that is hard for me to wrap my head a round that you are having to mow your lawn. It has been crazy weather like freezing cold and then two days later more Spring like temperature. I am on a diet and have lost 8 pounds not much but a start. My son and I have talked but it is still tense between us. But I have peace about this situation. Well better get to bed. Goodnight have a great week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
37F here in sunny San Diego and last week it poured every day to the point of flash floods. Will be making the permanent move to Colorado mountains late March and will have VERY spotty internet at that point until further notice. Everyone have a good one.
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Belle that is great news I know you are happy. Congrats on the move. Do I need to be here more in March? We are having temps that we should have for January. So many of my friends are getting snow but not me. But such is life. Have a great week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, awelyn! Yes, please as we will be driving from the 27th until probably the 29th and be completely without internet when we get there till we reestablish it. My daughter and her family are already planning on moving out throughout the end of next month, a bit at a time so we'll be able to move in completely when we get there. Thank you again!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I awoke to a foot of snow this morning. It was the first real snow in over 1,000 days. Everyone was predicting that this would be the year we get a dumping. We tend to get a good one about every ten years and the time was ripe.

My neighbours, bless them, have kept my driveway shovelled, although I can't get out to the road until the plows do their bit. Since I'm in the boonies, that usually takes a couple of days. Although my neighbour across the street has a 4x4 if their are any emergencies.

Have an awesome weekend, everyone!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
May we assume that Vancouver Island is not natural snowmobile territory, E~S? I'm assuming snowmobiles have (relatively) deep-snow capabilities exceeding those of civilian 4x4s, but that is just a guess.

While this January was colder than average, we continue to have issues with insufficient precipitation. Middle Franconia in northern Bavaria is known as perhaps the driest of the "Bezirke" or counties of Bavaria, but we have been plagued with below-average precipitation for a few years by now - 2015 was an out-and-out drought year. While temperatures did not rise above freezing even during the day for much of January, recently it has been the other way around: temperatures even during the night hardly drop below freezing.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Snowmobiles would be reserved for off-road only on the Island. The snow removal companies are usually pretty good at keeping accumulations down. As I live in a fairly rural area, our road won't get plowed until much later. One of my neighbours went into town today and said that once he got to the highway the main roads were cleared, sanded and salted.

I just finished shovelling my driveway and it's snowing lightly right now, but there shouldn't be much accumulation as it's a couple of degrees above freezing, and by Thursday of this coming week they're predicting substantial rain and temperatures between 6 and 8 degrees Celsius.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Continues to be overcast with intermittent showers here in San Diego. Doing birding now and finding as much as we can here before we move to the Rockies.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Just a couple of pictures .....

My backyard - January 2017

Edwin Road - February 2017

BelleBayard
Send Message
Wow... My place has snow, but the roads are kept plowed due to ski visitors (tourists) and those who work in support of the industry. Lovely to look at, not so much to drive in.
awelyn418
Send Message
ES that is beautiful. My son in Washington state has had record snowfall this year. We have had one dusting of snow. I hope you are all doing well. I am on a diet and am slowly losing but I am determined. Have a great week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
The snow in the picture has finally melted and we've moved into a snow overnight - melt during the day, cycle that is annoying.

The spring bulbs seem to like it they're coming up quickly. My neighbour, whose yard gets more sun, has crocuses blooming already. I must say spring is definitely in the air.

Enjoy your Sunday!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Still snowing up at our place in the mountains. I hope things warm up a bit by the time we are due to move up there. It's actually warmer when it snows, but when it doesn't it's in the teens. Unloading the truck will be challenging in those temps if it's that cold, but not sure how much fun it will be with the white stuff coming down either. LOL
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello I hope you are having a great weekend. I have been sick for two weeks. Coughing ,sore throat and runny nose and just feeling miserable. But feeling better and I am dieting as requested by my doctor. I have lost some weight and feeling better. It is like Spring here. Daffodils and 0ther Spring flowers. We have flowering trees blooming. The fragrances are amazing. Getting new glasses this week or next. Have a great week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Image ... it's been snowing since late morning and we are once again living in a Winter Wonderland. It doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon either so ... Image.

On a brighter note, my neighbours have found themselves a new dog. He's a black German Shepherd/Border Collie mix, about one year of age, and very, er, energetic. He and Oscar met and things went well. I did warn Oscar that if he didn't get on with him, all access to their fireplace would be lost. Not sure if that did the trick, or Oscar's natural friendliness kicked in. LOL My other neighbour, who arrives home tomorrow from Arizona, will get a surprise, and so will Bella Oscar's little friend.

Actually, the neighbour returning from Arizona will get two surprises: JD (Jimmy Dean) and snow.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
German Shepherd/Border Collie mix?!? Egads, that's two of the breeds that need something to do when not sleeping or eating. Especially the Border Collie part will tend to herd everything that does not get into the trees on the count of three!

We've finally been getting some precipitation, less that necessary to catch up on the all-too-dry winter so far. But further south, the western Alps region of Germany - and probably Switzerland, Austria, and Italy, and very definitely France - have been getting too much of a good thing. The weather seems to have lost all sense of moderation - getting too digital for comfort. Image

[Edited on 03/10/2017 by Gandolorin]
BelleBayard
Send Message
I can relate, Gandolorin. Down in San Diego we went from chilly, rainy weather to hot and dry. The grass and shrubbery have gone mad, which means lots of weeds and worries about fires later in the summer. We got a LOT of rain this year, but not enough to truly make up for the serious drought for so many years (and you've probably seen the news about Northern California's issues with earthen dams and their spillways). Mother Nature wasn't happy with us. Up in the mountains of Colorado it's been snowy until this week and now temps have climbed to 51F. Hoping it stays that temp as we move March 27 week. Will be a bit incommunicado after that till we get the Internet set up and the computers reassembled. Shall be living out of boxes for a bit till we get unpacked.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
San Diego to Colorado! Now THERE'S a serious change of pace in climates. Like southern coastal Spain to central Scandinavia in Europe. Though for a truly continental climate in Europe, you need to go at least to south-eastern Poland / Slovakia / eastern Austria.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Heh... Yes, rather. I'm a native Californian, so big change. My daughter and her family are there and the cost of living is less expensive where we're going. Now that we've retired, both are big considerations. We have stocked up on warm clothing and know it will take adjusting.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Denver is called the "mile-high-city", so we're talking about 1600 meters elevation - that's serious ski resort altitude in some parts of the Alps. But then not nearly all of, say, Switzerland is alpine. Is where you're moving at anything like Denver's elevation? Image
BelleBayard
Send Message
Higher, Gandolorin. Our house sits at 8,600 feet (not sure what that transfers into in meters), but it's pretty darn high. Will be challenging planting any sort of garden up there, but we're going to try. Doing lots of research. We have a "alpine meadow" outside our back door. It's visited by moose, elk, deer, mountain lions, black bear, bobcats, and numerous smaller critters. Quite a view from our deck, to say the least, and inside during the winter, we get the big herbivores feasting off the bark on our aspens.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
8600 feet??? Hang on, that's ... 2600 meters!!!. YIKES! Germany's highest alpine peak, the Zugspitze, bordering on Austria (there's a German cafeteria on one side of the peak, and an Austrian one on the other side), is only 2962 m respectively 9718 ft high.

At that kind of altitude, you need really serious acclimatization before you start any sports activities like jogging. That altitude is HIGH alpine (some folks in the Himalayas or Andes might shrug about that, but they and their ancestors have been living at such and even higher altitudes for millennia!). I hope your daughter lives at comparable altitudes so that you have some experience of what you can expect. Then again - I don't know how a possible smog in San Diego compares to that of LA - the percentage of oxygen may not differ so much, while (hopefully!) the toxic fumes of common Californian air pollution should be absent.

I wish all the best for your move!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thank you! Yes, the Rockies are very high. The highest pass is at over 11k feet so the peak is closer to 13k. Plan on being very cautious with exertion for a bit till we get acclimated. Actually, both LA and San Diego have less smog than they used to due to very strict environmental laws here. Colorado doesn't have that much either, fortunately. While visiting our place (she is living there right now), we haven't been too bad off, but then we've not pushed ourselves either. Looking forward to a very different lifestyle up there. Appreciate the well-wishes.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I think this would probably be me currently at such altitudes: Image Image
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

I hope you have a wonderful day, and a great weekend.
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello I hope you have had a great week. Last week it snowed here. I was amazed but it melted the next day. My husband was in the hospital last week with pancreatitis but is better. They put him on a low fat diet. Tomorrow first day of Spring and hope we have nice weather. Have a great week.
<< First2021222324Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email