Register

Author Topic:
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Your Least Favourite Character
on: March 03, 2007 01:06
I really hate none of those.

But I do still hate Morgoth. *shivers to the thoughts of what he has done* :nono:
Merry
3% (6)
Gollum
20% (3)
Galadriel
10% (1)
Faramir
14% (2)
Sam
6% (1)
Gandalf
4% (7)
Gimli
7% (1)
Boromir
16% (3)
Theoden
9% (1)
Bilbo
10% (1)
lhaewiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2007 05:28
Hmmm...I was between Bilbo and Boromir, but I chose Bilbo *quickly hides behind a tree*. I don't know why I really don't like him in the LotR, he is OK in The Hobbit, but that isn't my favorite book either... and I didn't like Frodo too much a the end of the RotK, I was very mad when he just left ME and SAM!! The friend that accompanied him everywhere.... :cry:
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 12:02
I can't stand Frodo! He's too much of a cry-baby and makes stupid comments sometimes.
Marwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2009 11:15
Definitely Boromir. He irritates me greatly.
Very greatly.
I am sorry. But it cannot be helped.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2010 10:57
I don't really dislike anyone in the poll, but just from those options, I'd have to say Galadriel. She made Boromir cry. Nobody makes my favourite character cry.
The way some of the characters were portrayed in the films really annoys me, because it's so different from the way they were in the book.

- Faramir's portrayal in The Two Towers. In RotK he's all right, much more like he was in the book. But in TTT he's changed so much that I hardly recognize him any more. Taking Frodo and Sam prisoner, yes, all fine and dandy. But pointing a sword at Frodo and then hauling both hobbits to Osgiliath? That I don't like. It's not Faramir. Also, as has been said millions of times, he wasn't tempted by the Ring! Well, all right, possibly for a second, but he never seriously considered taking it. I understand that he was driven by a desire to please his father and prove his worth, but his trying to bring the Ring to Gondor goes completely against everything written about him in the book. Also, the Osgiliath scenes really don't add to the story. All they do is provide an opportunity for Sam to make a speech (which is, admittedly, lovely), for Faramir to show off his archery skills, and for PJ to drive home the point that Frodo is going insane.
Then, there's Faramir's treatment of Gollum. Not only does he allow his men to kick and punch the poor creature, but he himself nearly throttles him and pins him up against a wall, not once, but twice. Once again, this totally goes against Faramir's nature.
We do get the flashback scene in the EE, though, which almost makes up for the defamation of character.

- Frodo. In all the films. Where is the brave hobbit who stood up to the Ringwraiths at the Ford of Bruinen, who stabbed a troll in the Mines of Moria, who threatened Gollum that he would put on the Ring and command him to cast himself into a fiery pit if Gollum betrayed them? ... I don't know, but he doesn't appear in PJ's films very often. Frodo is portrayed as being helpless and unable to defend himself. His usual response to danger, at least in FotR, is to drop his sword, fall down and get stabbed. In TTT and RotK, he falls down and turns faintly green. Also, what is with the fell beast scene in the end of TTT? He was a reluctant hero, yes, but not so reluctant that he would have simply walked up to the servants of evil and handed over the Ring!
Frodo also does not seem to function well as an independent character. He is rarely seen alone, and when he is alone, he blunders into danger. On Weathertop, he is, technically, alone - the other hobbits are temporarily incapacitated and Aragorn is off goodness-knows-where doing goodness-knows-what. He gets stabbed and almost dies. In Shelob's lair, alone - he is stung by a giant spider, almost dies, and is then captured by orcs. On Amon Hen, he's attacked by Boromir. In Osgiliath, he nearly gets eaten by a fell beast. It's as if he constantly needs a babysitter, like a little kid. Whereas in the book, he is clearly an adult, capable of defending himself. I don't know why the change was made, but I really don't like it.

- Gimli being used as comic relief. Gimli is allowed to show his brave side in FotR, but after that, he is turned into some sort of clown or jester. And to be honest, the jokes fall flat. As a friend of mine once said, the only thing that saves him is the fact that he's a dwarf, and dwarves are always cool.

I think this post is getting a bit too long, and maybe a little off-topic, so I'll wrap up my rant. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but certain aspects of the films anger me, and I can't always contain it.
Goodbye.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2011 10:04
probably Gothmog, the orc lieutenant
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2011 06:00
I must say I don't dislike anyone in the entire world of Middle-earth except Morgoth. I must also say I am shocked to find so many fans who didn't like Frodo or Sam. Those two made the movies for me!

Woot woot, Frodo! Woot woot, Sam! Yay! Pints for everyone!

(All of which is to be expected from me, hence the name.)

~Frodo (the Second)
coral
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Poll: Your Least Favourite Character
on: March 19, 2012 08:28
Chose Merry, but I still like him, but not as much as the others.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2012 08:23
I chose Faramir, but he's really one of my top favorite characters in the book... mostly i don't like how he seems to be a completely different character in TTT movie. I couldn't even bring myself to say i didn't like Gollum, because even though he's pretty despicable, he's still such an interesting character... you know a story's good when you even like the bad guys, but of course dislike them... i think i make no sense. I'll stop now.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2012 10:32
Quote from ragnhild on August 11, 2003, 15:40
It has to be Faramir! I got SO angry when i saw TTT in the cinema, he's pictured as a bad person! "Kidnaps" Frodo and all that. He's not like that in the books! Well, that's my opinion though...

Hmm, in MY opinion he was Just Fine! You just have to watch the EXTENDED versions to get that. He was Very sad about his brother's death for one thing, and his father treated him like GARBAGE, so he was just trying to prove his worth! *sigh* Good Grief!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 10:28
Denethor for me. What a nasty, cruel man!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
ithildinilis
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 09:04
This isn't a choice, but Sauron. I mean, he's a giant flaming eye. He's a pathetic wimp. Along with the nazgul.
Sauron: nearly dies because his hand got chopped off
Nazgul: dies by being stabbed in the calf and face/afraid of fire
At least Lurtz won't go down without a fight.
Ithildinilis "Do not cast all hope away. Tomorrow is unknown. Oft red is found at the rising of the sun" -Legolas
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 12:09
From the LotR films? Legolas. Just completely pathetic and useless pretty boy Captain Obvious eye candy. Useless character. In the books he's pretty awesome.

I love Faramir in the book and since the extended editions I'm not as angry about him kidnapping Frodo and Sam but I do understand why they did it. Film is a different medium to a book obviously, and if you've got this object that everybody and their mother lusts after and can be seduced by (they even have Aragorn getting slightly tempted by it)you can't really have the Ringbearer stumble across some random dude in the wild who basically says "oh you have the Ring of Power? How delightful! Would you like a cup of tea and I'll send you on your way!"
In the book it's far easier to explain why he helps Frodo and Sam. In a film, after spending all the time building up this object that can seduce everybody? Nope, it wouldn't work.
I do like the little nod to the book fans when Sam in Osgiliath says " It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here." That was a nice touch.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 04:52
This isn't a choice, but Sauron. I mean, he's a giant flaming eye. He's a pathetic wimp. Along with the nazgul.
Sauron: nearly dies because his hand got chopped off
Nazgul: dies by being stabbed in the calf and face/afraid of fire
At least Lurtz won't go down without a fight.

Umm, in case you forgot, Sauron bound his life-force in the Ring. So therefore, it stands to reason that when the Ring was separated from him, his organic habitation would die. That should be obvious, I think. And he was a "pathetic wimp" as you called him, because he had to patiently recover his lost power. Even so, by the end he wasn't 1/10th as powerful as he was with it.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 03:22
May be Theoden lol why because it took him all this time to realise that he should have loved Eowyn like a daughter. Denethor because how he treats Faramir even though Faramir loved him.

EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I cannot really say I dislike any of the characters, but I dislike Gimli the most. I cannot even say I dislike Gollum because Andy did a marvelous job
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Ethelynn to an extent, but my least favorite character has to be....hmmmmmmm........maybe Eomer. Because he was only in the storyline very temporarily, and i guess my strange self wanted to know more of his story.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2013 04:53
Hravan said:From the LotR films? Legolas. Just completely pathetic and useless pretty boy Captain Obvious eye candy. Useless character. In the books he's pretty awesome.

Objection, your honor! (Yep, saw some of the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr, though it may have been in reruns ).
You very probably have hit on part of the reasons PJ chose Orlando Bloom and portrayed him as he did.
But do not forget that, as long as Gandalf is not around, Legolas is by far the most deadly fighter and the hardiest of the fellowship. While PJ often goes overboard with the depictions, Logolas kills the cave troll, gets on a horse effortlessly in a way no one else could, takes out the first Warg with a long-distance shot, uses a shield like a snowboard, and finally, takes out the entire crew of an Oliphaunt, and the Oliphaunt itself (which leads Gimli to testily remark “it still only counts an one! ). Overkill, but not by much.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I thought Legolas was portrayed well, I think emphasis was trying to be placed on the fact that he is and Elf, not human.

To take this ina bit of a spin, who is your least favorite character in the Hobbit? I think i have an idea of what everyone is going to say...
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
For the Hobbit my least favourite character would have to be Azog
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
In An Unexpected Journey, I did not like the Goblin King. It was his voice that I found unbelieveable. The voice was much too elegant for his character, it should have been rough and scratchy.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lord_Sauron said:For the Hobbit my least favourite character would have to be Azog

This is “Poll: Your Least Favourite Character”
Did an longish post on “Which bits of 'The Hobbit: AUJ' would you edit out?”. Dated December 08, 2013 04:29
Threads can get confusing with overlap. See above for my opinion in detail.
Short version for current thread:
Azog. He's DEAD!!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
In The Hobbit, I am inclined to agree with Lindarielwen. There was one part where I though The Goblin Kings vioce was down to a science ("Who would be so bold as to enter my kingdom?" But after that he just sounded too normal and not like someone who has been living in a mountain for ages.
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
From the LotR movies I disliked Denethor. He's so mean.

From the Hobbit movies...Well, I'd say the Master of Laketown. Nasty fellow.
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes!
Jedi.Elf.Queen
Council Member
Send Message
None of the above!
"The Star in their hands, for the rest of their lives"
kayedhel
Council Member
Send Message
Honestly Frodo isn't my fav because he just left Sam and just sometimes his comments just ugh.. Idk but I also don't like boromir as much because of his attitude so I'd have to go with him
"What is friend in elvish?" - Frodo "Mellon" - Gandalf
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Strange to see how many dislike Frodo.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Strange to see how many dislike Frodo.

This is talking about the movies. So I just take it that PJ just totally messed up his version of Frodo against the "truth" (aka the books).
But is anyone surprised that PJ messes up things on a massive scale?
(Acid sarcasm off)
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I actually don't like Frodo in the books or the movie. I don't hate him, and he's definitely not my last favourite character, but he's kind of...dare I say it? Lame? He always comes across as really helpless, while the other hobbits are always fighting do hard to protect him. Even in the books, though I confess that he's a little better in those...
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
while the other hobbits are always fighting do hard to protect him. Even in the books, though I confess that he's a little better in those..

LMAO. Always, indeed. Especially in the barrow... saving all of his saviors at the very beginning of the adventure is a wee bit better, but still awfully lame, I get it. Image

Gando, I feel your pain here. Let's face it: the character of Frodo is vastly seen as boring, distant, and a number of people can't connect with him. His heroism doesn't contain any obvious deeds, clever plans, and impressive sword waving (oh wait, Shelob's Lair in the book... nah, still miles from Sam in the same place, silly me). That's all his problem.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
None of the above.
I can't stand Denethor, especially during Pippin's song. To feast while Faramir leads his men into a death trap? I could have strangled him.

Baby tomatoes are ment to be eaten in one bite!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Firstly, I am appalled at all of the people saying the only person they dislike from ME is Morgoth. Atrocious behaviour, he is without doubt the most likeable character, and clearly was bullied at an early age by Manwe, hence mentally destabilising him. But in all seriousness, he is so cool. How can you not like him?

Secondly, I think Legolas is all right in the films. He is clearly there for the girls to an extent (in the films) however he is a legitimate character.

Thirdly, Denethor is the most useless, rubbish human being ever. Plus he ruined tomatoes for me.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a girl, and I have no interest in Legolas. Much prefer Faramir, Thorin, and Fili.

As for the film, I don't like Denethor. When I saw ROTK in the theater, many people cheered when Gandalf knocked him out. I think he was there to be in contrast with Theoden. Both men were influenced by an enemy. Theoden (thanks to Gandalf) came back, lead his men into battle twice, and had an emotional death scene. Denethor stayed crazy/ paranoid, and tried to light himself and his son on fire.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I have to go with Frodo as well I'm afraid. He's not a favourite of mine in either the books or the films, although he doesn't irritate nearly as much in the books.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email