Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Your Least Favourite Character
on: October 11, 2003 12:10
That's wild that there are a few people that said they don't like Frodo, considering he's the center of the story!
Merry
3% (6)
Gollum
20% (3)
Galadriel
10% (1)
Faramir
14% (2)
Sam
6% (1)
Gandalf
4% (7)
Gimli
7% (1)
Boromir
16% (3)
Theoden
9% (1)
Bilbo
10% (1)
mrsprinceofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 12:40
I voted Sam considering,he is so annoying, but I get like that I end up hating really important characters:evil:, I am like that with all books made into movies.:cry: I hate Sam, give Frodo & Leggy more screen time.:heart:
theniece
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 04:50
It's a toss up between Faramir and Boromir. They're like almost the same (well they have to be, being brothers and all) but what i didnt like was that the way they were portrayed in the movies was quite different from what I pictured them to be in the books. For one, when Boromir tries to take the Ring, i wouldnt have imagined him to be so 'evil' and in some ways scary.....
LegArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 09:17
I voted for Sam have ever liked him some reason to much of the heor hobbit,but i disspointed to see that soo many people don't like Faramir i have read the books and liked him then and i agree that PJ messed up his character but i still like him.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 02:32
I voted Gimli. As portrayed in the films, he is way goofier and more emotional than in the books. I picture a Dwarf such as he as much graver--not grim, but more serious.
hithuiorod
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 03:12
I had to vote Galadriel. Her part was way off I thought. I was very disappointed.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 02:28
I voted Théoden. I really think the actor fits perfectly in theatre and other 'real-time' acting, but for movie, it is a little bit overdone. In the book, the character was more... practical, maybe. Not so theatrical.
And I cannot stand the character of Éowyn, although I think Miranda Otto is doing a great job. Did not like the character in the book either.

Note: this reply is not about the actors (m/f), only about the characters!
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 09:47
In the books, I didn't like Gimli and Gandalf. I don't like Gimli because I think he's an annoying little dwarf, I really can't stand him. I can't really put my finger on why I don't like Gandalf, I just don't.
ladyofthewood234
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 12:29
I voted Boromir because he was too overbearing. I laughed when he died, sue me.

Gandalf was also disappointing, he was too cheerful. The Gandalf in the books was a grim, wise old man. In the movie he was reduced to an incredibly amiable old guy who acted like he was walking the dog. Not to say that Ian McKellan didn't do a wonderful job.

I really loved that Galadriel was so stiff, that's how it should be.
Merrys_gurl_101
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 06:57
That was a hard one since i REALLY don't have a least fav. character, but i would say gandalf because hes a wizard and out of all three movies he uses his powers like twice. I mean come on now!
Mornië
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 12:12
Theoden. He was supposed to be a glorious mighty king but in the end he just ended up being a stubborn old grumpy.

[Edited on 3/1/2004 by Mornië]
White_Lady_of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 04:34
Since Denethor isn't on there (I just want to slap him!), I voted for Gimli. His "comic relief" wasn't very comical. It made him look stupid, not funny, when he burped in Meduseld.
Choco
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 05:58
Well... I was *going* to say Eowyn, but since she's not on the list, I'll say Theoden. He really bugs me. He blames himself, which is the most overdone plot element *ever*. I guess the reason this bugs me so much is because I read a lot of comics, and superheroes tend to blame themselves for things. Even when it is that person's fault, it's still annoying.

Oh, and just because - the reason I didn't like Eowyn (the cuteness or Merry won me over, she rocks now ) was the way her eyes twitched when she said 'So few... so few of you have returned...' in TTT. Yeah, I'm picky .
Silent_Assassin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 12:58
I hate how they made the brothers Boromir and Faramir looked in the movie. Peter Jackson should have not made them seem so bad.
Care76
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 01:38
I know she's not on the list, butI didn't like Eowyn until the end of the third book. She REALLY got on my nerves in the second book.

[Edited on 4/1/2004 by Care76]
sarumans_wolf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 09:15
i picked sam. i have to give him credit in rotk, however. but in the first two movies, i really dislicked him. i also do not like haldir, but he is not on the list.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 06:03
I said gollum. I love how they portrayed him, but as a character, *shudder* just so... possesively wicked! and i so woulda said arwen if she were here. Glori SO shoulda been included!!! grrr...!!!!
*is aware that she used "so" way too much*
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 10:26
Has anyone who put Faramir changed their mind since seeing the extended TTT and ROTK?

I fail to see how anyone can't love him! Following his initial mistrust of Frodo and Sam, he certainly shows his quality in both pictures!
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 01:02
I voted Faramir, and for the reasons people have stated in this thread before me.
thranduilmirkwoodking
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 12:53
least favorite? Well if i had to pick one i would have to say Frodo. He seemed to be somewhat useless with everyone saving him. he had his moments in the movies don't get me wrong. he gets captured twice- once by Faramir in TTT and by Shelob then the Mordor Orcs in ROTK.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 11:40
I voted Faramir, and for the reasons people have stated in this thread before me.

Poor Faramir, Always rejected and unloved.....

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face tho. I love Tokien, love the books but suffer enormous guilt now because I find PJ's Faramir more realistic.

The bloke is in a war situation. His home is in immediate danger. His father is a pain in the proverbial. He is newly bereaved and mourning his much loved big brother, the one person who really loved him. He's really anxious to do something that will make that stupid old coot love him = and yet people are upset that he was a tad aggressive with these total strangers who could have been spies for all he knew.

Fran Walsh explains it well on the DVD. The whole movie is about the power of the ring to corrupt. It is taking hold of Frodo and has consumed Gollum. Boromir fell to temptation. It is basically the root of all evil. The audience has to believe this and keep believing it - so how would it have worked in the film if this soldier, a Captain of men, at war, was to say he wouldn't pick it up if it fell by the wayside, and offer the hobbits a cup of tea.

Instead, and especially in the EE, they explain Faramir's situation, let him be tempted if not by the ring, then by what the ring could do for him in relation to Denethor, and they let him resist.

When told he could pay with his own life for releasing the hobbits, he said "Then it be forfeit". How can this man, be considered evil?
king_of_nazgul
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 11:40
none were portrayed like they should've been. i think that all of the people from gondor were portrayed pretty badly. what was up with not showing beregond/bergil, glorfindel, and any of the countless others jackson cut out? arwen was placed too prominently and gollum's physical features were awesome in the movie, but his personality (:evil just can't be reproduced. the movie was very interesting as far as being able to visualize the characters and locations better and think of them as people/elves/dwarves/other races as opposed to the characters in the books.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 01:25
my leasy favorite character is boromir. i really didnt like him. i hate the fact that his brother (faramir) was sortof looked down upon by their father because boromir was thought to be a better son. boromir showed weaknesses in FOTR when he tried to take the ring. on top of that, he wanted to use it against the person who made the ring when he knew that no man could wield the ring.also, in the movie at the council he said ( mailnly to aragorn) " gondor has no king, gondor needs no king". that just shows his arrogance.
king_of_nazgul
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 03:26
yeah, but i hated denethor. he was stupid. "i don't think we'll win this battle so i'll just burn myself alive!" how stupid can you get?
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 05:58
totally agreeable! in rotk(movie) after setting himself on fire, denethor jumps off the cliff type thing. that was just hilarious.
~Vic~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 10:56
in the books:
gollum. he's just so evil and conflicted.. he gets zero sympathy from me.

in the movies:
- arwen. she just got on my nerves because in TTT she had a bit too much screen time.

[Edited on 16/2/2004 by ~Vic~]
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 03:25
I absolutely can not stand Legolas *runs from fan girls*. I did not like him in the books and I didn't like him even more in the films. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is one girl who isn't going to drool over some blonde elf guy. It's really funny how he can state the obviouse and everyone thinks he's so great. I don't get it.
Cujo_Queen_of_the_Desert
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 07:17
Well, I despise Legolas and Arwen (their movie-counterparts at least). I know they're Elves, but the way they were portrayed cannot be explained merely with this excuse.

I know for a fact that many fangirls will try to explain Legolas' face when he finds Boromir dead as, "Oh, he's an Elf, he's just confused because he doesn't understand death." WRONG! He may not understand death, but that doesn't mean he has to look constipated. And how do you explain his face when he recieves the bow from Galadriel? I cannot imagine book Legolas looking at it like, "Dur wood, shiny! NARF!"

Which brings me to my next point. Arwen. Yes, we all know she tied up Glorfindel and threw him in a closet with Elladan and Elrohir so she could play only child, but that's not what bothered me. What bothered me was that during the last two films she was so mopey and angsty. "Oh, why hath the Valar forsakeneth me. Eth?" Shouldn't you be working on a standard or something?

But as to a character that was actually available as a choice, I would have to go with Galadriel. I understood her preternatural behavior, but not her random appearances. Kind of like Arwen. Like grandmother like grandaughter I guess.

And this is proof that you shouldn't post at 12:30 AM while listening to Led Zeppelin.

Ramble On indeed.
Farawyn15
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2004 07:41
Legolas, Legolas, Legolas, Arwen..lol. I thoroughlly dislike Legolas (in the movies). I mean, all he does is warn everybody that someone or something is coming and then does a fancy CGI trick. For Example:

FOTR: "Something draws near... I can feel it!" and he does the trick with the cave troll.
TTT: "Something’s out there...The White Wizard Approaches" and he does the trick with the horse.
ROTK: "Something stirs in the East…The Eye of the Enemy is moving." and he does the trick with the elephant.

Anybody else notice this or am I just taking crazy pills? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Orlando or the Legolas from the books (especially since I haven't read them) but it does seem Legolas doesn't really DO anything other than these two things (and, of course, kill Orcs). By the by, did anybody else find it hilarious when, in ROTK, after Aragorn tells of his plan to march on Mordor, Legolas says "It's a diversion!" Maybe it was just me...lol. I was like, I think we already established that, genius. At least he's good for a few laughs.
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2004 05:15
Agreed, agreed, agreed!! I love the book version of Legolas & Orlando's pretty hot, but the movie Legolas is just there to state the obvious and try to impress everyone with his little stunts ::rolls eyes::
blueeyesscareme
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2004 12:35
i have notice that frodo is not on ur list. well i think that is very unfair for people like me who think he is poopy!!! i diddnt like frodo in the book and now he is being played by eljiah wood i think it is worst nothing agaist the guy but those eyes freak me out big time sorry u EW fans but it is the truth, i am just the only one that will say it.
moi
xxxxxxxxxxxx
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2004 01:58
I thought Elijah was really good as Frodo, but just seemed so feeble compared to the book version, where he seemed much more stronger!
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 11:35
in the book, theoden is a very cool guy. in the movie they show him all arrogant!!! he keeps saying things to aragorn like 'the last i saw, theoden not aragorn was king of rohan'. they totally messed up his character in the movei. also i didnt like denethor in the movie ( was not in the poll) they showed him as a slob in the movie. the way he eats while pippin is singing a very touching song, sickens me. also arwen is not really good.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 10:25
i have notice that frodo is not on ur list. well i think that is very unfair for people like me who think he is poopy!!!

It's unfair that other people don't agree with you??? You want people to put Elijah just to keep you happy?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who didn't rate his performance, but there are a lot more who did. Elijah played Frodo as PJ wanted him to - for starters he is a much younger Frodo than the book Frodo, so you wouldn't expect him to be quite the hero - he's little more than a kid for goodness sake.
blueeyesscareme
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 08:58
i no that there are alot of ppl out there that did like his performace as frodo. or mayb ppl just like elijah wood but was just commenting that his name isnt on the list of ppl to vote for which i think is unfair becasue there might be some ppl that want to vote 4 him.
i no that they cast the actor for frodo younger then he was for then book weather this is rite or wrong. i think tho that the main reason y had a young actor playing frodo was to get more little girls interesting in the film that thing elijah wood is cute and that is the reason why they go and watch the film. i no this becasue half of my friends only when to watch the film becasue elijah wood was in it. i personnally would have liked to have seem frodo casted a bit old like the book. but it donest really matter becasue the film is a huge success ne way.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email