Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
Post Poll: Your Least Favourite Character
on: August 11, 2003 04:46
Ok, we've got much threads about our favourite characters...
So I thought of starting a complete different thread.
(I know It's difficult..)
The Question is:

(From all the Good People!)
Which is your LEAST favourite Character?
(chose from the characters behind)

Even if there ain't any characters you don't like.. just pick someone okay? Oh, and post, of course, why you chose that one..

~Arwen~

Please keep your replies kind, and be respectful of other people, including those who like the actor and the character itself. If this thread becomes one where there is name calling and character bashing, then it will be closed. It is ok to not like a character, but please be polite about it.

Yano

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by Yano]

You may choose someone who isn't a choice in the poll.

[Edited on 6/12/2004 by Diva]

[Edited on 10/3/2004 by Diva]
Merry
3% (6)
Gollum
20% (3)
Galadriel
10% (1)
Faramir
14% (2)
Sam
6% (1)
Gandalf
4% (7)
Gimli
7% (1)
Boromir
16% (3)
Theoden
9% (1)
Bilbo
10% (1)
ragnhild
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Your Least Favourite Character
on: August 11, 2003 05:40
It has to be Faramir! I got SO angry when i saw TTT in the cinema, he's pictured as a bad person! "Kidnaps" Frodo and all that. He's not like that in the books! Well, that's my opinion though...
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 07:07
it has to be Boromir! OMG they made him look like a bad person in the movie, when really he is really good. like some 1 that watches the movie will think that aragorn and legolas did all the work defeating the watcher in the water (FOTR) bu really in the book it says "boromir played a huge role for defeating the watcher in the water":angry::angry::angry:
Moogan1689
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 07:24
i hated how they portayed Faramir int eh movie but i was glad when Boromir dies.:evil: i know that was cruel of me.... but it's true!:angry:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 01:29
he? Burzlondewen: Boromir comes out a lót better in the movie than in the books!

it was a tie, but in the end I chose Théoden, because he had drifted so far from the mighty and proud King in the book

but I didn't like Sam so far (especially not in TTT, where he sort of takes over from Frodo - I don't like where this is going) and I don't like Faramir (for obvious reasons)

however, I don't dislike any of these characters to the extent that I would prefer the movie or book without them, or that I would be pleased when / if they would die. it's just a matter of preferring the original work of Tolkien's
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 01:43
It was Gimli for me. I didn't like the way that he seemed to be used more for comic relief in the films. In the books he's one of my favourite charectors, I love the fierce pride of the dwarves. Ok, I liked the score keeping bit and the "shall I find you a box" was funny, but at some bits (like him falling off the horse) It seemed like we were laughing at him rather than with him.
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2003 02:58
My least favorite was Arwen:angry:. She was not even supposed to be in the movie:angry:. She stole glorfindel's spot in the movie:angry:. The only part in the movie she should have had was at the council of Elrond:angry:.
Dafna
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2003 07:24
I agree with merry2, I didn't like how Arwen kept showing up in the movie, and as merry2 said about she "stole glorfindel's spot". So Arwen is my least favorite character...
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 01:30
I'm sorry I didn't set Arwen in the poll..
I thought everybody liked her!! :blush:
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 09:40
I didn't like Arwen that much either. I voted for Faramir though, he's so different from the books.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2003 01:37
Now I had a hard time choosing who I didn't like. Finally I chose Galadriel. Why? Well I loved her in the books! But in the movie, she seemed stiff and she needed to be more cheerful I thought. The way Cate B. said her lines was wonderful I thought she made them count! But the way she and PeterJ portraded Galadriel didn't meet with my expectations. Galadriel also needed to be more with nature have like flowers in her hair or something. But it's just how I see it. I still think Galadriel is cool and all but just not in the movie.
Este
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2003 11:51
Another vote for Gimli and his comic relief.The first time I watched ttt I considered it funny,but afterwards it just became more and more irritating.
Ersulwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2003 04:38
I voted for Gimli! He`s so cute!
+in book Faramir is perfect!!!!!
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2003 08:10
Faramir has to be the worst because he wasn't in uch of the film and he seemed to make boromir seem evil but that may all change when the extende film comes out
Annúnagar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 10:13
I can't stand Gollum! :angry: I agree he's a perfectly portrayed character in the movies by the great Andy Serkis, but in my opinion the character is so wicked...
GollumsGal
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 06:30
I thought Gollum was awesome. He was not evil, but very corrupted, and I thought they did him really well. I felt so bad for him... perfect IMO
I disliked Galadriel and Faramir the most I guess. Faramir for obvious and previously stated reasons, and Galadriel cause she was a little too creepy in the regular version of FOTR.
legolaslover2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2003 08:00
i like them all, but i prefer sam or aragorn.
legolaslover2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2003 08:06
sowwie. i mean my least fav character is probably boromir. didn't like him at all.
Eowyn_of_Gondor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2003 08:04
How can it be that Faramir was one of my favourite characters in the book and in the movie he looked so creepy? :cry: That is not my Faramir!
But still, I guess I will have to give Peter a chance and try to make up for the huge mistake about Faramir's personality in LotR TTT, so I had to choose the character I hated both in the movie and the book....
Sam!
I totally loathe him.Yes, I know he is some common sense and that, but I really think that he could have been different. Yes of course he plays an important role too, but... Dunno, I just don't like him much.
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 02:13
I've been trying to answer this one for days, and I still can't... too hard
mewantmypreciouss
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 05:47
I didnt like Eowyn...

Shes the girl in like every story where the guy has a girl, and the guy hasta go away for a while and shes the girl who think she has a chance.

if ya know what i mean?? I liked the whole Aragorn and Arwen thing and when she came in I was like MNOOOO!!

hmm...
Lova_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 08:33

I would have to say Frodo is my least favorite character
he's just really freaky!never liked him
and Legolas... I don't know what I should say...
well I don't want to hurt anyones feelings so I won't say anything.
and I absolutely do not like Arwen!!!
its ok if other people do, but I Do not like Arwen!!she stole Glorfinde's Part!!!
and Faramir... um... just not my type!

well I like other characters, just not these!
and Galadriel does tend to get creepy

Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 03:25
Figgy, you know that I agree with you. Boromir was so much more likable in the movie, I felt a certain level of empathy with I didn't in the book, full marks to Sean Bean.

But where is Arwen on this list??? I did not like her very much. I really disagreed with the changes made to her character. I think not only did she steal Glorfindel's part, but she also takes the heat out of Eowyn's part. Their roles seem to be too similar.

I had issues with the portrayel of Faramir, or rather the script, because it was the script, I think David Wenham did a great job with what he was give.

And Frodo... Sorry R, but I really disagree with the blue eyes. Hobbits have BROWN EYES. I am really disappointed that PJ felt the need to CG them blue.
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 04:16
OMG, so few agree with me...

I picked Sam because I just feel like too much emphasis is being put on him. I also read somewhere that in RoTK, Sam will take on an even larger role because Frodo will be nearly incapacitated by the power of the Ring... yikes...too much Samwise for me :dizzy:

And Frodo... Sorry R, but I really disagree with the blue eyes. Hobbits have BROWN EYES. I am really disappointed that PJ felt the need to CG them blue

PJ did not CG any hobbit's eyes blue. Elijah's eyes are that blue and that big. Also, I don't see where it says that hobbits eyes are brown, they are bright-eyed, not brown-eyed. Just because they have brown hair does not mean they have brown eyes. I am dark haired and blue eyed myself, not terribly unusual I don't think

(Pardon the editing, but someone's signature is stretching out the page, and I'm just trying to fix it.)

[Edited on 10/8/2003 by Valaöré]
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 08:11
I had a problem with the way they portrayed the brothers Faramir and Boromir. Neither was actually thought out to be right in the movie, but from the books, those two have actually started to grow on me. Faramir, for one was very romantic (or at least I thought) in the book. He seemed to understand Eowyn in her time of need. But where is he now???
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 02:28

I picked Sam because I just feel like too much emphasis is being put on him. I also read somewhere that in RoTK, Sam will take on an even larger role because Frodo will be nearly incapacitated by the power of the Ring... yikes...too much Samwise for me

Oh Nienna, I agree! Too much Sam! And too heroic, too..
GollumsGal
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 03:00
I heard that Sam will become the main character in ROTK. I guess I understand, but I wish they didn't have Frodo deteriorate so quickly. It was like in FOTR he was pretty okay, then all of a sudden, when you hit TTT, the ring suddenly posseses him with a fury. I keep wondering how they will keep him from killing Sam along the way in ROTK. Or maybe he will just fall down and die... seemed kinda weird to me. His prosses of weakening will have to slow down, or there will be no Frodo at all befor they even reach Mt. Doom. Anyway, I do like Sam, but Frodo will always (or SHOULD always) be the more prominent character IMO
Elmanamir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 03:28
It was a toss up between Faramir and Borormir, but I chose Faramir. In the books he was an an understanding guy. But what does PJ do to him? No justice, that's for sure.
I saw FotR first and then I read the trilogy before I saw TTT, so I'd always invisioned Boromir as an evil man. When I read the books all of that changed. In the books be was a hero that fought the Ring but couldnt' fight it any longer. In the movie he was portrayed as an evil man that only wanted to get the Ring.
Galadriel was fine except for the part where she morphed into some kind of posessed Xena. I thought that was overdone.
And Arwen! Augh! I'm not a fan of a good movie being interrupted for a character that shouldn't be seen in it. Arwen should have bene there briefly in FotR and in RotK she has to be there to marry Aragorn. I don't remember anything about her in TTT though. Those scenes were written by Tolkien though, I'll give PJ that. In the appendices of RotK there's more on Aragorn and Arwen.
Valaöré
Servant of the Valar
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 03:46
I heard that Sam will become the main character in ROTK. I guess I understand, but I wish they didn't have Frodo deteriorate so quickly. It was like in FOTR he was pretty okay, then all of a sudden, when you hit TTT, the ring suddenly posseses him with a fury. I keep wondering how they will keep him from killing Sam along the way in ROTK. Or maybe he will just fall down and die... seemed kinda weird to me. His prosses of weakening will have to slow down, or there will be no Frodo at all befor they even reach Mt. Doom. Anyway, I do like Sam, but Frodo will always (or SHOULD always) be the more prominent character IMO

Actually, in the books, when Sam becomes the ringbearer he becomes the main character. Through the portion of TTT that focuses on Frodo and Sam, Sam begins to take a more prominent role. So, in that respect, PJ got it right...
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 09:37
Elmanamir, I just had to react

I saw FotR first and then I read the trilogy before I saw TTT, so I'd always invisioned Boromir as an evil man. When I read the books all of that changed. In the books be was a hero that fought the Ring but couldnt' fight it any longer. In the movie he was portrayed as an evil man that only wanted to get the Ring.

Actually, and this is not my personal experience but I noticed it with a lot of people here on the site, the movie gives Boromir a softer side which allows for more people to accept his final act as treason rather than mere evil. PJ toned Boromir's last act down by incorporating his desire in the entire character, letting it become less of a shock.
But more people love him in the movies than they did in the book, and I believe Sean Bean is responsible for a large part of that.
But each has their own opinion.

And Arwen! Augh! I'm not a fan of a good movie being interrupted for a character that shouldn't be seen in it. (...) Those scenes were written by Tolkien though, I'll give PJ that. In the appendices of RotK there's more on Aragorn and Arwen.

Those scenes were not written by Tolkien, but her character was left intact. And Haldir shouldn't have been in TTT, just as Freda, Éothain and Morwen shouldn't have been their, or any of those Elves, or Elrond and Galadriel - I don't hear anyone complain about that?
Elmanamir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 01:16
*reads appendix A again*
My bad. You're right, they weren't in the appendix. It had some stuff on their relationship, but most of what was in the movie wasn't there.

[Edited on 9/10/2003 by Elmanamir]
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2003 07:58
Hej Elmanamir, how do you do that? Letting your signature move?
Elmanamir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2003 01:21
I used HTML: < marquee > text here < / marquee > without the spaces.
lightning_princess17
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 02:56
I voted for Faramir. They changed him soo much. I think they should have put in the movie the line that goes something like, "I wouldn't take it if I found it lying on the road." (Can't remember exactly.)
Mariniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 05:54
I voted Sam, he ennoys me soooo much....I wish Frodo was on that list, 'cause he's my absolutely least favorite character ever....
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email