Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: December 14, 2003 08:35
Welcome MikeMic .... after reading all the tips, just go to Languages at the left of the screen, click on Workbook, and you're on your way !! If you want a study partner, post in the Study Buddy thread.
Marille
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 06:33
Gwendeth, what are the word games you mention? I need lots of practice!
JackieSmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:07
Am just about to start learning thsi beautifullanguage and i must admit to being a little scared! Anyone fancy guiding me through it?:dizzy:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 09:50
We're all here to help you Jackie !! If you would like a study partner to walk through the lessons with you, just let me know !! Don't be afraid to ask questions in the forum when you don't understand something.
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 04:06
I think that learning Sindarin can bring us great satisfaction but for me ,the main problem is the lack of "little words", I mean: adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions. Prepositions, for instance aren't very clear: vi , mi or ned for english "in" ? There is no "in front of" . "no" for "before" is a D Salo's reconstruction, will it be unanimously accepted ? and so forth. This seems to be quite an obstacle to make a spoken language out of Sindarin.
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 09:20
But it's a wonderful language all the same. I'm glad that so many people share my interest for Tolkien's Languages and mainly for Sindarin.
~Mirimë~
Elf Maiden of Loríen
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 10:07
Hello everyone
This is just a quick note to say that there is a learing style quiz in the games section (under personality quizes). It will tell you how you learn best and give you tips for learning Elvish!
Aelfwine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 10:14
There is no "in front of" .

The "Qenya Lexicon" gives a root NÔ- 'ahead, in front; after, of time; tomorrow' (Parma Eldalamberon 12, p. 66).

"no" for "before" is a D Salo's reconstruction

No it isn't. It occurs in the so-called "Merin sentence" in an undated letter by Tolkien.

Carl
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 01:30
"no" for "before" is a D Salo's reconstruction,

Actually, the word DS used as "before" is "nu".
Eianberu
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 02:05
Hi everyone I'm not really new, I actually registered quite a while ago, but I haven't posted anything yet. I've been studying Sindarin for a little while now, but it's still just starting to sink in. All the tips posted in this forum have been very helpful!
Eruvanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2003 06:27
"no" for "before" is a D Salo's reconstruction,

Actually, the word DS used as "before" is "nu".
That's true but I think"nu" has already another meaning : "under", I think. That's confusing.May I use "no" for "before"?
Elmer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 12:01
Hi, I am a newbie here and have just started Sindarin lessons. My family think I'm crazy for learning a language that only elves speak but frankly I think I have some elf blood in me-(you would know if you had seen my ears) they almost look half human half elf. Anyway that is not the reason for my learning Sindarin. I just think it is such a beautiful language! It sounds beautiful and looks amazing, why wouldn't anyone want to learn it.

If there is anyone who can give me advice/tips/guidence through my journey of discovery I would be very grateful.

P.S. LOVELY SITE!
BloodRose17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 09:10
hello,

Well I'm reading the silmarillion and I just decided that I wanna learn Elvish...and I have no idea how to start...I mean I know nothing...Zip zero zilch nada....I know it sounds stupid:drool: but I'ld really appreciate some help...especially that I look at the website which is needless to say gr8 and I feel totally lost..

Thanx ciao
llyrellin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 04:49
BloodRose17: the lessons and exercises under the languages section are really helpful for learning sindarin, but there are several other sites around, like learning elvish among friends or such. just go to msn & type in "learn to speak sindarin (or quenya, whichever you prefer) and a bunch of sites pop up (this one included). i've also found it helpful to download dragonflame, a dictionary for sindarin that's really good. the link is somewhere in the first several posts of this thread. also, you could get a study buddy.
Elmer:besides all the good suggestions on the 1st page, *buy lots of ink for the printer!*
BloodRose17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 09:54
Thanx:blush: I'll try my best...probably won't get anywhere til I finish school, but thanx alot for the help...and yeah I do need alot of ink already lol
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 03:06
hm.....this is the best!!!
i cant tell you people how much i love this site!
Pictures, Elivish, Humor, Forums, tips on how to make your room look like it feel from middel-eart even recepies!!!
does any one know where i can tell the founders of this site what a great job they are doing????
if you can please pm me....thanking you in advanced
Celeblhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 02:38
hello

were's the wordgames please

thnx
minuial_gil_estel
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 05:56
Hey all! I am new to this site (today) and really wantto learn Sindarin.i have already started looking through the lessons. I was going to just do it from on my computer, but I agree now that it makes more sense to have a hard copy that you could write notes on etc. Thanks for the tip. i also like the idea of flash cards!

My suggestion is to talk it as often as you can. My cousin and I a re both learning... so we will say short phrases to eachother. Even stuff like "thanks"... then more you say it the more comfortable you will be with it, the more comfortable you are with it... the better you'll become!

Hennaid!
Gabriella_Bracegirddle
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 08:07
I love elvish, can I sign up to take a class or something?
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 09:14
The lessons for Sindarin and Quenya are in the Workbook under "My Account" Gabriella. Also, read through all the posts in this thread for good suggestions on how to learn !!
NessaElanesse
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 04:00
Hello,

My name is Nessa and I am a new member to The Council of Elrond site. I must say I am amazed and overwhelmed. It is a wonderful site and I am so glad to have found it.

I have always known about the Tolkien books but had never read them. I came to them through the movies. I have just started reading the books.

I was so amazed when I went on the web to get a better understanding of the characters, etc. from the movies, at the volume and depth of these sites, the languages, encylopedias, everything. I just love it!

I am a huge fan of the elves, and would like to learn Sindarin. I seems a little overwhelming at the start and would be interested in finding a study buddy, if anyone is interested.

Again, I love this site and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Talk to you later...

Nessa Elanesse
[email protected]
Uno
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 08:53
hey, im new here and have always been wanting to study Sindarin and Quenya, thanks for all the stuff
Eowyn_lady
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 07:14
this is how i study Sindarin: I copy the lessons and translate them in my own language with a free online translator. Ofcourse these aren't always right but they do help with the translation and its easier to learn in your own language!!
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 08:44
Celeblhach, I'll bump the word games back up front for you !!
Celeblhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 12:56
thnx
sunshadowsteps
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 04:16
Suiald! Thank you so much Naneth for your great suggestions! I'm sure that everyone appreciates your kind words. Also, your verb conjugation chart has been very helpful!
Thanks again! Navaer!
bewytched
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 11:42
Just started learning I guess Im a little slower than the rest of you. What a beautiful language though.:blush:
Miss_Gollum
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 03:38
Hey, I only started learning elvesh about 3 days ago, I'm pretty confused about how to go about learning it. I have read all the tips and things, and i sort of understand what to do. But which lessons do you do first, and what about the long vowels and short vowels? I am seriously confused!
Can someone help?
earanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 08:16
Suilad Miiss_Gollum,

I'm a newbie, too, but these things I found helpful for the first lesson - the first Pronunciation lesson here at Council of Elrond (cut & paste this web address into your browser to take you directly there - http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Workbook&file=workbook&dp=workbook&page=30) I am assuming you want to study Sindarin – this is the Sindarin lesson.

To hear how these letters sound, you can go to http://dombach.florian.bei.t-online.de/phonology.htm

I wouldn’t go on to the next lesson before getting this down. The foundation is important.

Hope this helps!

Earanna
Ellethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 10:53
Hello, When you say print out the lessons, which lessons do you mean? Which lessons should i print out? Also i downloaded the sindarin course (both word format and the pdf format) the pdf wouldn't open cuz it said it was invalid or corrupted, the word version said it wasn't valid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ellethiel

[Edited on 18/1/2004 by Ellethiel]
billyboydluvr25
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 07:31
i was just gonna ask that question. which lesson do i print out?
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 07:34
Well, you'd print out whichever lesson you are currently working on. Then you can look at it while you're doing the excercise.
Ellethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 10:52
Also i downloaded the sindarin course (both word format and the pdf format) the pdf wouldn't open cuz it said it was invalid or corrupted, the word version said it wasn't valid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Ellethiel

what can i do?
-Ellethiel
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 03:30
Hmmm ... I'm not sure what is going on because I don't get that message when I click on it, Ellethiel.

Is anyone else having a problem printing the Word version out ?? That is the one you should print outanyhow, because it is the one that has been updated.

If we can't figure this out for you Ellethiel, just print the lessons out from the Workbook itself ..... under "My Account" at the top of the screen. You'll have to go there for the exercises anyway !!
arwen_a_stars_shining
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 05:15
hi!
i have a question...:blush:...what's the world in Sindarin or Quenya for "help" or "helper"?
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email