Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
pheradariel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: February 24, 2004 09:15
hey thanks for the advice! i'm a newbie too at this site as well as learning quenya and sindarin. But the problem is that my folks aren't cool with the fact that i print it all out! They say that the cartridge will run out of ink too quick then. LOL
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 03:56
*waves*

Hey all you newbies! I joined CoE about a year ago, and almost instantly I was interested in learning Sindarin. My advice for you, just take it slow and move as fast as you want to. It helps a lot to print out the elvish lines from the movies, and to practice saying them along with the actors, just so you know how words are pronounced.

It's great fun, keep working, and it really helps to get a three ring binder to put useful phrases and lessons in. I keep my dictionaries (you really both the Sindarin to english and the eglish to Sindarin) on my computer, as I only ever need them when I'm writing. Just keep the faith and don't be 'fraid to ask questions!!

~Newra
mirkwoodfolk
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 01:10
wow thanks for all the tips

now i want to raise a child with that language so he and or she will have that as there first language

babys are smart if they can pick up a language in 5 years without a develpoed brain
TheClassicTale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 11:12
Hi. I have a question. Did they speak Sindarin or Quenya in the Lord of the Rings movies?
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 04:57
A little of both. Mostly Sindarin, but there are occasions where Galadriel, Gandalf or Aragorn will say something Quenya (such as songs, spells, etc). It tells in the script section of this site, and in the language resources section there is a part that is just the non-english lines of the LOTR movies. Here's the link:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=EZCMS&file=index&page_id=9

~Newra
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 03:21
I'm just starting, and I mean JUST. I cannot find the pronunciation for the e with the two little dots over them. I know it's pronounced separately, but how is it pronounced? I haven't been able to figure that one out yet. Any help there?
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 07:51
Those "two dots" just mean "don't forget to pronounce me as an individual sound" !! Pronounce the " ë " like any other "e".
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 01:40
Thank you. It seems like a little thing, but it was driving me nuts. Admittedly, that can sometimes be a short trip.
SindarinElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 06:14
I am so new but i have been learning by myself how to write in Feanorean and Cirth from the back of the books. what i really want though is to learn both Sindarin and Quenya. it so hard fitting in a good solid lesson on writing now school has started let alone the speaking of elvish(Sindarin)

also how do you put in the smiley faces

PS if any one can help me study it would be very much appreicated
Sisan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 11:12
I came to think about something that I think is very good to keep in mind when you are learning Sindarin, or anything, and that is the reason WHY you are doing it. It could be just any reason, but be sure to remember it, especially when times get tough.
Ataron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 01:13
Im learning Sindarin at home, but i need more exaples and words, and i need somewhere to speek it so do we have some chat or somewhere where i can train it better ?
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 02:10
We have the "Study Buddy" program where you can practice your Elvish with someone else who shares your enthusiam for the Language. If you want a study partner, just sign up in the "Does Anyone Want a Study Buddy" thread. In addition, we DO have a Sindarin chat usually on Friday nights (watch for postings) and we have an "Extra Elvish Practice" page here:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=EZCMS&file=index&page_id=14
Midhenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 12:30
I'm new here as well, so I'm still finding my way around! I like that idea with the Sindarin chats -- where would those be announced? And which chat room would they be in? Le hannon!

Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 02:05
Warch in the Forum for the Sindarin Chat thread ... they are usually held in the CouncilRPG room Between Friday and Saturday. Be sure you get the time right for where you live ..... this is a global chat !!
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 10:04
I know this is a very basic question but how do pronounce an "e" in Sindarin? For some reason it's not in my notes.

And also, do circumflexes and acute accents do the same thing to a vowel - make it longer?
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 07:13
All those things are covered in the first lesson _LadyEowyn_
!!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 03:22
I'm just starting Queyna and need some help. I've downloaded English to Queyna, Queyna to English dictionaries and have a question. I have no problem understanding pronunciations, but they talk about things with syllables. They aren't in syllables in the dictionaries. Did I miss something important, or am I just a Queyna language-impaired learner?:cry:

A useful tip: Put your pages for your workbooks in the plastic sheet protectors that you can get at most office supply stores. This gives you a clean copy that lasts a lot longer than If the paper alone is in the binder. I've used these for several years on school stuff, and it works wonders. I, for one, hate recreating things, and this helps with that.
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 10:57
They aren't in syllables in the dictionaries. Did I miss something important, or am I just a Queyna language-impaired learner?
While they aren't broken into syllables in the dictionaries, they follow the same pattern as most languages I know of. Each syllable contains one vowel or diphthong. Remembering that should help you to break the words up.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 03:44
Another question :blush:
I was looking at the pronunciation lesson and had a question on some of them. The short a as in "aisle" pronounced "eye l"? Would that be right? It's showing it as the same pronunciation as the dipthong ai. And the long e like in the German Mehr. How is Mehr pronounced? I was thinking "May-er" Am I anywhere near being accurate? I do want to be as close as I can get.
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 11:40
Scots56 .... you need to post these questions up in the Quenya forum !!
xxsarah
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 09:52
wow. thats alot. lol
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 12:26
Naneth,

I'm a newbie to Sindarin, but my best friend is really new. She's asked me to "teach" her Sindarin, and I've found the links and CoE to be very useful...although, do you have any tips?

I've started her with a page of basic greetings and stuff like that...I also wrote down some of my own notes, and some tips in studying Elvish.

Thanks!

~ Ayslin
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 03:57
Just what I have written in the first post Ayslin .... then much practice !!
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 05:23
Thank you so much Naneth!!

~ Ayslin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 09:11
One of the main reasons I joined this site is to learn elvish! I finished lesson one of Sindarin a couple months ago using my Study Hall periods, but I haven't been able to get back to it yet. It would be nice if I could do the workbook stuff again. I can't print anything 'cuz I don't have a printer and anything non-school related needs to be paid for if I use the school printer. I don't know what I should do.
skaterelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 05:31
hey I just started on this site and am looking forward to learning elvish, but i was wondering if there were anyother newbs out there who would like to talk a few times a week and quiz each other. Ya know a study buddy

Please private messange me if your interested
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 04:34
Ya know a study buddy

Welcome skaterelf!
You can also post a message in the "Anyone want a study buddy?" thread and Naneth will pair you with a buddy.
skaterelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 04:56
thanks lavas
TheHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 05:15
HI,im new these boards and am really glad I dropped In here.The binder Idea Is great,I would have never thought of It and a study buddy Is probably the next thing I should work on.
My first downfall was having no printer,this caused alot of problems as I found I either had to write everything out or constantly refer back to certain charts,lessons etc...
My second downfall was the pronunciation of some of these words as Im the type who grasps things quiker If I can hear It,hands on sort of deal.
My third downfall (i promise,this is the last..lol)
was when I got to 'Lenition' (this was around the time i almost gave up)....I had no clue what was going on,I was lost,completely.
Then one day It happened,I was writing out a shopping list and the mind wanders at the bottom of this list I wrote 'meleth nín'!!!!.....woohoo!...I was beside myself with pride,it's just a small step but a step none-the-less.I am now in the process of writing my first possible sentence...lol
Good-luck and Thanks for the tips.
Giliath_Adraste
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 02:47
Just wanted to pass on the Dragon Flame dictionary is a wonderful tool for those of you who have not used it!

Gilliath

Do not cast all hope away. Tomorrow is unkown. Rede oft is found at the rising of the Sun. - Legolas
Troy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 04:05
Hi all, I'm Troy, new to the Council. I'm fascinated by Tolkien's languages, and want to learn them very much, but i was wondering whether it would be wise for me to learn Quenya, or Sindarin first. Quenya is the formal language isn't it? And Sindarin the common speech, so, i was wondering if anyone had some advice for me.

(i hope to be able to translate my name which means "of the people with the curly hair" {when translated from Greek, or maybe Turkish, to English}, so that my username comes across alittle more authentic aswell)

Thanks muchly
Melcalar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 07:06
you know what helps too...actually making stuff in these languages...yeah...and thanks for the links
alkchiliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 08:54
Hey! thanks for all the tips! my best friend and i wanted to learn Sindarin after reading the books and watching the movies we looked everywhere for sites on learning Sindarin and this by far is THE BEST one!! it has everything you need! thanks again for everything!
**and yes it really does help to have a study buddy**

o yea and i was wondering if anybody here was fluent in Sindarin (or close to it), and if so about how long did it take you to get there?
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 05:24
o yea and i was wondering if anybody here was fluent in Sindarin (or close to it), and if so about how long did it take you to get there?
No one can really be fluent in Sindarin because there is so little vocabulary and so much is unknown about the grammar and syntax. This fact doesn't make playing with and studying the language any less fun and I've found it to be very helpful in understanding language in general. As far as time frames for reaching a good understanding of what we do know, that depends on you and how much you're willing to invest in it timewise.
isildur
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 10:27
How long does it take to get all the basics and know phrases and stuff in Sindarin? Is it possible to be done in 2 months? Im really interested but its taking me forever to get all of the phonology and stress part right! And thanks for all of the great tips from EVERYBODY, they really helped and made it a bit easier! :disco:
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email