Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
elfprincess88
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: January 21, 2004 10:09
Okay I just found everything I need, but should I start on Quenya or syndarin?

That, my friend, is something you will have to decide! The languages, while related, are quite different. Choose whichever seems most appealing to you. You can always learn the other later.

thanx for the tips
Aeare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 10:53
I'm so glad I found this site!!! This is da first time I'v actually met ppl dat don't fink I'm really sad 4 bein totally obsessed wif elvish! PS I am a real amateur & it wud b gr8 if sum elvish boffs out der cud tel me if my signature is ryt! I don't fink it is, it's ment 2 say "The sea calls us home". 2 avoid l8r embarasment... Thanx!
Niennafefalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 11:22
BLAH
I'm LOST. where do i go first? what are all those links? plllleeeeeeeeease help me.
namarie
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 07:57
Aeare ..... I would just change your signature a tiny bit: I aer cân ven na-mar.

Niennafefalas .... click on Languages to the left of your screen and all will be revealed !!

Aeare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:08
Thanks Naneth, I didn't think it was right but I'm not very good at Sindarin yet. i will change it now!!
SmEaGoL8
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 06:31
Im only 13 and Im starting elvish (quenya) Are there any lesson sheets that actually show u how to learn it? Im having a bit of trouble understandong somethings. Ive tried to get help and its working but I dont want to ALWAYS need help. :cry:
Aeare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 09:31
Hi, does anyone know the Sindarin word for herald? I've tried all the dictionaries I can find but the nearest word I've got is maethor (soldier). Thanks!
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 08:20
Aeare .... how would you be using the word .... as a messenger or a cryer ?? If so, you might be able to use something like "canor" (cryer) .... not attested, but modelled after such words as cabor, maethor, hador.
Aeare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 10:50
Yeah, that might work... It's in the context of Elrond as the herald of Gil-galad. Thanks!
travisferrao
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 02:27
Suiald.. i just started learning Sindarin and i have to say it's keeping me very busy... i just sit for hours trying to get the words right..

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by travisferrao]
Istari_lonewolf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 03:33
Meneg suilaid, mellyn! Elvish is a wonderfully beautiful language, and I am learning it, but it would help alot to be able to type it out on the comp. with the markings. Does anyone know a good link to download elven font for a PC?
aira1rox
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 04:22
hey,
i was wondering what you guys all started out on, Quenya or Sindarian? i just started into sindarian(and watch that not b how 2 spell it) but i waz wondering which was the usual first choice around here. i'm mostly new and confuzzled so. .. um ya . . thanks for all the tips though, its nice to know i'm not the only one lost and confused:blush:
Istari_lonewolf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 05:42
well, I'd say for the most part Sindarin is (was) the usual choice for beginners, partly because for a while there only were Sindarin lessons. But it really depends on what you're looking for, and what you hope to get out of the lessons. As they mention in the inrtos, there is a lot that is not known about Sindarin at this time, and a lot is still speculative...it is beutiful, however. Quenya is somewhat more solid, and very...regal, shall we say. Anyway, the choice is yours...I don't think you can go wrong!

*hem*...about those elvish font links....
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 07:54
SmEaGoL8 .... all you have to do is go to "My Account" at the top of the page, then click on "Language Workbook" and you will see the Quenya Readings and a note saying View This Workbook. That's where the exercises are.

Istari_lonewolf .... the website for the markings is:

http://www.omniglot.com/mlcomputing/diacrits_win.htm
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 10:48
I didn't downloaded the lessons, I copy-pasted them - it worked. (Am I allowed to do this? Tell me if it's illegal!) I've been looking for a good font myself, the best one was on a paying site (can't remember which, sorry).
All elvish learners RULE!
Istari_lonewolf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 02:51
Le hannon, Naneth.
Saniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 08:48
Hi, I'm new here and I'm about to begin learning Sindarin. I was just wondering, is difficult to pick up after you start?
IdhrenethMeril
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 04:16
A few people said they were looking for Sindarin fonts...just go to the left side of your screen to "Multimedia" and click on "Fonts." Is this what you guys were talking about?

Idhreneth
Aeare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 06:19
This isn't really about Elvish, but does anyone know whether Elladan and Elrohir chose to be mortal or immortal?
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 09:59
This one is about Elvish... Should I print out the dictionaries? I mean, they are pretty long! If I should print them out, which one, like English-Sindarin or Sindarin English, or both? Le hannon!
aira1rox
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 05:08
This one is about Elvish... Should I print out the dictionaries? I mean, they are pretty long! If I should print them out, which one, like English-Sindarin or Sindarin English, or both? Le hannon!

i just started out a little while ago, and for the first few lessons, i didn't need a dictionary at all. sad i know, but my computar hates me. personally, i don't think printing the dictionaries is that important, as long as you have one saved to your computar. but thats just me!
~Aira
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 02:07
Thanks for the tips
prnmissy1
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 01:19
I also am new , and really nervous about trying to learn another language, but very anxious. How would you suggest to start off, I mean very first step.
LegolasIsMyOneRing
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 06:39
well i am new to the site and all i have to say is since i saw the movies and herd Arwen speak in elvish i said to my self i an determined to learn this beautiful language!! and thanks for the tips and websites i was just browseing them! does any one know of any more aduio sites ? for me it would be easier to say the words if i listen to them. thanks again for the great tips!
i_am_an_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 12:04
hey, i really want 2 learn Sindarin, but im not very good at learning new languages, does any one have any tips?
ps. where are the lessons?
Grant
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 03:46
Hey guys, I'm a complete newb, and I have an idea of how I'm going to start Sindarin:

how about this: I'm just going to buy a really cheap, old notebook computer, and just put all of the workbooks and web page info, spreadsheets, etc. onto that, and be able to carry it around everywhere. would that work out to my advantage? By the way, this is the best site I have ever seen for learning the language, and I can't wait to get started!
dancerbaby812
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 05:49
wow thanks for the tips! i've only been into LoTR since the beginning of Jan, and i'm completely addicted and have already decided to learn Sindarin. don't ask me why i never read LoTR or watched the movies before...that is a mystery to me. anyways...now that i'm hooked on anything and everything about ME, i'm learning one of the languages, and i hope to learn a few more of them later on.

i have a question about the workbooks: if you check the completed box and save your answers, is that all you have to do to get them checked, or do you have to find a mentor on your own?

thanks a bunch!
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 03:24
i have a question about the workbooks: if you check the completed box and save your answers, is that all you have to do to get them checked, or do you have to find a mentor on your own?

Once you've completed your lessons and checked the box, that's all you have to do. Naneth or myself will check your lesson and return it to you with any comments. Sometimes it takes a few days for us to get to them, so please be patient!
dancerbaby812
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:15
thanks lavas!
kittenkatash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 03:38
hi,
I'm a complete newbie to learning sundarian and I just have a few questions. One: do you have to download a dictionary to your computer? I thought there was one to be used on this site? The second question is on conjugating. Is there different conjugations for I, you, she...so on and so forth like there is in french?
kittenkatash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 03:56
ya know like you'd conjughate a verb differently with the pronouns. je aime tu aimes.I like, you like
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 04:22
One: do you have to download a dictionary to your computer? I thought there was one to be used on this site?
There is a dictionary here that you can use without downloading, but DragonFlame does come in handy especially if you need something quickly for a post or chat.
The second question is on conjugating. Is there different conjugations for I, you, she...so on and so forth like there is in french? ya know like you'd conjughate a verb differently with the pronouns. je aime tu aimes.I like, you like

These are not conjugations, but rather endings for person. There are not really these types of verbal endings in Sindarin, but there are pronominal suffixes instead. You will learn those as you progress through the lessons.

[Edited on 20/2/2004 by Iavas]
kittenkatash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 05:01
tu aimes is a conjugation. It's a conjugation of the verb aimer, to like
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 05:32
tu aimes is a conjugation. It's a conjugation of the verb aimer, to like
Indeed it is. Present tense, I believe.
However, this "je aime tu aimes" are both present tense conjugations with different endings for person. Conjugation refers to changes made to a verb stem to show present, past, future, etc. Sindarin definitely has these, like any language. Those you will learn also in the verb lessons.
nienna29
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 03:41
I am so happy to have found people who want to learn this ethereal language as much as I do. I am determined to get it... someday. I know it's going to be a lot of work, but considering its beauty, I think it's worth it.

Thanks for all the tips. Have to get started as soon as I get the time...
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email