In sleep her sang to me
In dreams he came
That voice which calls to me
And spealks my name

And do I dream again?
For now I find;
The Phantom of the opera is there -
Inside my mind!

Phantom fans...which version of the story do you like best? The old film version, Gaston Leroux version, the Susan Kay version, or the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical?
A film of the Lloyd Webber musical is in the works, it looks pretty good!
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
Post RE: The Phantom of the Opera
on: November 29, 2003 08:24
musical all the way!
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 08:58
Phantom. . .Phan. . Phantom of the Opera *gasps* I love that show! Broadway that is, nothing beats the musical. . .well maybe Les Miserables does, but that is just me. But Phantom is the best! I love that show and the music is superb, especially playing the Phantom song on the piano. Just banging it out, nothin' better Although banging it out on an organ does beat it now that I think of it. ..

But to all Phantom fans! You have superb taste! :love:
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 04:15
Oh, Nerwin-you've pulled out another one of my loves!
I really enjoyed the Claude Rains version. But I think Michael Crawford did a superb job too...ooh I couldn't decide. I'll go with the musical, as I've had more to do with that.
ElvenWytch
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 02:15
I loooooooooooove the story and the musical! :love:
I absolutely adore the musical, and I'm rather fond of the story. Frankly if it had been me instead of that airhead Christine...
Anyway. It rules, right up there with Les Miserables. I got to go see it live once; it was incredible. Never seen the movie however. Anybody know when the musical movie is coming out?
Eolynne
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 04:46
I absolutely, positively love the Broadway musical the best. :blush: After seeing it, I went out and bought the book by Gaston Laroux, who's not a terribly great writer, IMO. (I still haven't finished the book!) But there's something about seeing the story on stage with the gorgeous music and the fantastic sets... I got goosebumps! (Still do, come to think of it, when I play the soundtrack).

I'm eagerly anticipating the movie, but hope the powers that be don't sell out by getting someone like Britney Spears to play Christine! (Mon dieu!) Who would you cast as Christine?
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 07:24
Emmy Rossum is playing Christine....she's a lovely little thing, about the same age as Kiera Knightly, with big brown eyes and creamy olive skin. She can be seen most recently in Passionada with my beloved Jason Isaacs. :love:

Speaking of which....
Eldir, we have entirely too much in common. And don't you know, every time I see your avatar I go into fits of drooling? :drool: That Lucius Malfoy is such a sexy beast....
Too bad Jason can't sing. He'd be great as either Andre or Firmin.

Personally, I love both the musical and the novel - in fact, all things Phantom. The musical has long held a personal significance for me which continues to build over the years it seems, so I suppose I would have to cite it as my favourite. I love all Phantom things, however, and I feel I have a right to - my real name is Christine, and I'm a soprano!
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 04:13

Speaking of which....
Eldir, we have entirely too much in common. And don't you know, every time I see your avatar I go into fits of drooling? :drool:

Far too much... :dizzy:
Well, do you think it's any better for me? lol just as well I'm a glutton for self punishment!

Anyway, do we know any other actors in it? I seem to remember someone being cast as the Phantom, but can't remember... :dizzy:
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 07:14
The role of The Phantom is being played by Gerard Butler...I don't know anything about him, other than he's been in a handful of films. I'm pretty confident though, that ALW and Joel Schumacher have picked the best man they possibly could for the role. They originally wanted Hugh Jackman, but he's busy onstage right now and couldn't make the filming schedule.

The most amazing move is that Minni Driver is playing Carlotta. I didn't even know she could sing!
But then, there are a lot of actors who can both sing and act...look at the cast of our very own LotR.

Lol edlir...is it really punishment to look at him? :drool:
ElvenWytch
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 01:49
The role of The Phantom is being played by Gerard Butler...I don't know anything about him, other than he's been in a handful of films
Lol edlir...is it really punishment to look at him? :drool:

The name Gerard Butler sounds awfully familiar, I think I've seen something with him in it but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

You've seen Passionada? I've been dying to see it (another Jason Isaacs lover) Is it good? I don't care if I'm too old for Peter Pan, I'm definitely going to see it (Jason Isaacs as Hook. :drool: ).
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 04:35
Oh Elven, the more Jason fans the merrier! :heart: I haven't actually seen Passionada, no, just the trailer. I'm hoping it comes out on DVD soonish.
You're never too old for Peter Pan! The book might actually appeal just as much to adults as to children - most Victorian literature is like that. The film certainly will, there's so much to look at in it: the special effets, beautiful sets, lavish costumes......Jason as a pirate.... :drool:

The only film I have seen with Gerard Butler in it is Reign of Fire, but sadly I don't remember him. He looks nice enough though.
Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 09:29
I don´t know exactly what´s The Phantom of the Opera book author...
Anway, I write to say I didn´t like the newest movie (from a few years ago),because it was very disgusting. Even tought it had good actors, buuuttt...
ElvenWytch
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 12:52
Anway, I write to say I didn´t like the newest movie (from a few years ago),because it was very disgusting. Even tought it had good actors, buuuttt...

Yea, I heard it was pretty gruesome. I think Wes Craven or somebody like that did it. Such a travesty.:angry:

The only film I have seen with Gerard Butler in it is Reign of Fire, but sadly I don't remember him. He looks nice enough though.

Yikes! That's not at all encouraging...
Yano
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 12:20

I love Phantom and can't wait to see the movie with my best friend (whom I converted to Phantom)

I like ALW musical better than the Y/K one, because of the music and the personality of Erik, although the Y/K version does present an interesting take on the story. The book is very good, though (said best friend has my copy).

Aragorns-Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 04:25
LOVE IT!!!! I get to see it on broadway in March! *smiles and jumps up and down*
Tofu
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 11:44
I also adore The Phantom of the Opera. I'm afraid that I've memorised parts of it. Hmmm, Minnie Driver...does anyone recall a certain scene in Golden Eye? If I recall correctly, that was her singing "Stand by your man" in a Russian nightclub. Frightening.
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 04:31
I can't believe I missed this thread! I love Phantom of the Operah! I've been obsessed with it ever since my Mom brought a tape of it home after she saw it. That was when I was three years old! I just saw it at the Ahmanson Theatre here in LA and it was incredible! one of the highlights of my life! As much as I love it I don't really know much of the different versions. But it's the musical I fell in love with when I was little and I'm going to have to stick with that. The music is so hauntingly beautiful!

I know I saw one version of the musical (odd Broadway) when I was really little where the Phantom was shot at the end and it was really bloody and stupid. Not a great way to end. The one I saw recently ended with Christine leaving and the Phantom sitting in his chair with his cape covering him. When the Operah people come down to deal with him he's disapeared and all that's left is his mask. I loved that version.

[Edited on 22/1/2004 by rhia]
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 05:51
I love the Phantom. I only saw it in Belgium so not the orginal production but it ws very verygood. Love the songs sing them in the car with my mother. hihihih
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:20
Gotta love the musical!
My parents always talk about it, so I went to London with my mother for a couple of months ago and saw it.
And indeed, it was amazing! The story is wonderful!
We (try) to sing it at home, though at times you have to have a really good singing voice! Even though I've been taking lessons for several years, I'm far from good enough to sing the songs..that's a pity!
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 10:17
this is s cool! i love phantom! the musical is definitely my favorite. i havent actually seen it, but i have the soundtrack and listen to it all the time, almost as much as lotr!

Phantom. . .Phan. . Phantom of the Opera *gasps* I love that show! Broadway that is, nothing beats the musical. . .well maybe Les Miserables does, but that is just me

i have to agree, i like le mis better- but i like phantom too! im currently singing "wishing you were somehow here again" in my voice lessons, but im not very good. i like to sing, but ill definitely never be a singer! anyway i really dont have christine's voice- im a little lower, a lyric soprano.
LadyAlyxia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 04:44
BEST MUSICAL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it live on Broadway in NY last year...Hugh Panaro played the Phantom and in my opinion has an even better voice than Michael Crawford. The movie's set to come out early December of this year. I dont' remember who the cast is but I'll look it up and get back to you ...I do know that Lloyd Webber worked on it so they can't butcher it too much!
LadyAlyxia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 04:53
Okay here's a list of the main cast/director..

Director: Joel Schumacher
Phantom: Gerard Butler
Christine: Emmy Rossum
Raoul: Patrick Wilson
Madame Giry:Miranda Richardson
Carlotta: Minnie Driver
Firmin:Ciaran Hinds
Andre:Simon Callow
Piangi:Victor McGuire
Meg Giry: Jennifer Ellison

It's released in the USA in limited locations on December 4, 2004

*crosses fingers* I hope it's good!
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 07:19
Yeah does anyone no what else the actors playing Christine and the Phantom have done? I looked up their filmography and it wasn't all that impressive. Have either of them been on Broadway? Can they sing? Sorry, I'm just really worried that the movie wont be good and that would be a huge tragedy. I'm seeing the play on Broadway next month. I'm so excited!!! Yay!
GrímasMistress
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 02:08
Well, my personal favourite version of "Phantom" is Susan Kay's marvellous novel. That's not to say that I abhor the other versions that abound (in fact the original is quite possibly one of the best works I have read that encompasses the pre-21st century gothic genre) I merely feel that Kay created a depth to the character that was so entirely absent from, in my opinion, all other versions save perhaps the ALW musical.

As for the film, I have had the misfortune of viewing Gerard Butler's 'talent', if it can be termed as such, in "Dracula 2000" and I have no immediate desire to watch him onscreen again.
That said this is, as always, my own personal opinion and am quite sure that more than a few people would disagree with me on that point.
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 08:03
The musical is by far the best version of the phantom of the opera ever created!!! I love that show!!

***me walks off singing, "Where in the world have you been hiding really you were perfect. I only wish I knew your secret. Who is this new tutor...."***
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 09:32
I just founs the original novel in Borders! I've been looking for it for ages and am so glad I finally found it. I've started reading and so far it's pretty good. But it's hard to judge 3 chapters into it.
Ranewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 04:20
I finally saw the Phantom on Broadway...I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Absolutely amazing! I REALLY want to see it again!:love:
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 09:24
Here's the trailer for the movie! It looks amazing. I'm so excited I have goose bumbs!

Edit: Ok it seems that link didn't work. Just go to http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/phantom/teaser/teaser_med/teaser_a.mov and check it out.

[Edited on 3/7/2004 by rhia]

[Edited on 3/7/2004 by rhia]
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 12:08
Okay here's a list of the main cast/director..

Director: Joel Schumacher
Phantom: Gerard Butler
Christine: Emmy Rossum
Raoul: Patrick Wilson
Madame Giry:Miranda Richardson
Carlotta: Minnie Driver
Firmin:Ciaran Hinds
Andre:Simon Callow
Piangi:Victor McGuire
Meg Giry: Jennifer Ellison

It's released in the USA in limited locations on December 4, 2004

*crosses fingers* I hope it's good!

I know i cant wait either!!
Phantom is my favorite of all time!!! I know from like November 5th to December something here in indiana they are bringing the Phatom musical to the murat theater!!! YAY
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 23, 2004 05:08
I just saw Phantom of the Opera. If you like the musical, you'll like the movie -- it's very nearly exactly the same, barring a few minor changes. The music is great, the singing is pretty good, and it's lushly beautiful. And I gotta say -- I'd stay with the Phantom if he kept his mask on. He's kind of hot

Oddly, it's been getting pretty bad reviews by the critics; most of them seem to dislike the fact that it's...a musical. "Why are people bursting out into song at the drop of a hat?" Well, duh. If you can get past the inherant silliness of any musical, in that it's rather ridiculous that people are singing all over the place, then it's great fun. Seems like a stupid thing to be complaining about. Other complaints are that the Phantom is too threatening and not likeable enough (Hello? The musical is the Phantom of the Opera, not Bunnies on Ice. He's supposed to be killing people and fairly threatening as a character) or that the Phantom is too attractive. Sorry, got no problem with that The Phantom, IMO, has always stood for sexuality and passion; Raoul is about sweet, innocent love. Christine stands between the two of them, torn. Anyhoo, most of the complaints that I've read are actually complaints that hold true for the musical itself -- and since it's an adaptation of the musical, those weaknesses are still there. I got no complaints.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2004 11:23
i want to see it. i love the music. although, i must admit i haven't seen it live or on video. i saw the trailer though, and i cannot wait.

[Edited on 24/12/2004 by Ithiahir]
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 06:49
I loved this movie!

One of my favorite musicals in Phantom of the Opera, so I definatly made myself take some time out to see this movie.

My only beef with the movie tends to be with the phantom's voice. Plus I could have sworn that the chandelier crashed earlier....not toward the end. I know in the musical it crashes and starts intermission....

I found the use of the black and white uh....forwardness (since its not really a flash back, since it's forward in time)....to be interesting, it made the movie feel like he was remembering what happened, and we got to hang on along for the trip. I must say that the raising of the chandelier was very well done, it sent shivers down my spine.

I want the DVD!

On a side note: I spent a large part of the movie trying to place where I've seen the person who plays Meg before....or someone who looks like her before....I finally decided on a Star Trek episode: The Inner Light (ST:TNG)....but uh....I checked the imdb and found nothing...does she remind you guys of anyone?

[Edited on 26/12/2004 by Keterai]
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 12:31
Well, I saw the movie today, and while I think I need a few days to let it all just sink in a bit, at the moment I have to say I loved it. I actually had no problems at all with The Phantom. I thought he did a fantastic job, and I'm glad that it was he that took over from Michael Crawford - who I tend to think of as The Phantom.
If I could have any problems at all with this movie, it would be Raoul's voice - not The Phantom's.

Oh, and Rivka, I'm with you. The Phantom was very nice. In fact...mask or no mask, I'd have accepted an invitation very quickly.
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 08:49
Rofl - lovely avatar, eldir dearest.

Darn, I want to see it soooooo bad! *Wonders if she can rearrange her schedule to go to the city any sooner*
faramirsmyman
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 10:38
i love phantom!!!! i got to see it for the first time in february. i can't wait for the movie, and i have the book, i'm just afraid to read it, because my sister said it's way scarier, and i have an extreme imagination. the movie's going to be great too!!!! my sister and i listen to the soundtrack to that all the time.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email