Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Phantom of the Opera
on: December 05, 2005 06:45
Yes, Phantom of the Opera is quite good. I'd have to go with the Phantom as well. Raul irritated me...
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 03:23
Please nobody shoot me, but...I have to say Raoul. Yes, Erik is extremely appealing because of his mystery and his music and lets not leave out his looks (at least on the movie). That would be exciting and, in a way, intoxicating. When Christine is with Erik, she is under the influence of his charisma and his music, which all but puts a spell on her and seems to hold her in a trance-like state. She doesn't think straight - she can't! However, may I remind you of how she feels when she insn't with Erik? Poor Christine is scared out of her wits of him! She knows what he is and what he does and that it is impossible to change him. She loves the good side of him - the side that only she and the Persian have seen on rare occasion. But she fears and lothes to the very core of her being the bad side of him.

Now, while Raoul isn't half as exciting to be with, he does love her just as deeply as Erik does - and it is real love, not just infatuation. Raoul risks everything to save her from Erik in the end - knowing that there is no possible way he will succeed, yet he has to try. And, even though he does win against all odds, it is a very bittersweet victory. His brother loses his life and Raoul inherits everything but he and Christine have to leave all they know and essentially die themselves in order to be protected - because...wait a second...for those who haven't read the book, I can't say why. Sorry. But the rest of you know what I mean.

Anyway. I don't know if I've made my point very well, but there it is. In the end, I have to choose Raoul, while grudgingly turning away from Erik.
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 04:12
*thoufghtfully* Hmm, lots of very good points, TPAM. Nobody'll shoot you, , that's the point of this discussion. You're absolutely right.

By the way, TPAM, does Erik have a last name, or is he just Erik?
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 09:34
Hello all - I love Phantom of the Opera -I only just discovered it recently (this year) and I could watch it again and again -especially the singing is really good and I love the fact they used the actors real voices for it I'll probably read the book one day but I've fallen in love with the soundtrack so I'm not sure how much I'd like the book

As for the current question about choosing between the two -I would choose Raoul, basically because of the same reasons ArFeiniel gave (though I haven't read the book:blush: ). I feel sorry for the Phantom but he is so contolling, and Christine feels so frightened of him (look at the part where she and Raoul go to the roof top and sing that 'All I ask of you' song)... the Phantom doesn't show her true love he doesn't do what she asks or listens to her she has to obey him, it would be a very Phantom dominated relationship and not necessarily a happy one for Christine IMO
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 11:31
ArFeiniel and Elvishmusician, you guys have great points and you made them very well, and I agree totally!

Even though Erik does make me get a silly grin in my face... :blush:

BTW, what does TPAM mean? Am I really stupid and missing something right in front of my face?!
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 12:02
No, TPAM! TPAM just means, 'The Person Above Me.' I post in the Games Forum TPAM game far too much, and love to say, 'TPAM'.

Wow, it would be a really hard choice for anyone!
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 02:31
:dizzy: Okay, sooo... TPAM: The Person Above Me... means in the thread, the person who posted above you? Am I being dim?
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 02:40
No, TPAM! You have it! :disco: So instead of calling me elfgurrl or Anorwen, you could just say TPAM.
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 04:54
Okay, TPAM!
:disco:

LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 05:21
LOL...and ok to all of you above me....please, stay on topic. This is a PotO thread and not the games forum...
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 05:59
Well, right now, I'm listening to my PotO soundtrack and to the one I have to choose is singing at the moment... Erik all the way! I don't care if he's a horrible murderer... he's just so myserious and I love him! Not to mention his amazing make-me-drool looks in the movie... sigh. His madness makes me feel even more sorry for him, and makes me like him all the more and makes me feel so sorry for him! :drool:
Lweven
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 04:53
We watched PotO in my drama class and I had watched it twice before that. I always feel bad for the phantom...not roule, I don't really like him...I want to see the first version, instead of the new one, I heard it was way better.
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 11:06
Hmm, I heard that too. Anyone know who directed it?
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 04:05
First version?

I assume its based on the book. From what I hear, the *old*, old one (1920's or something like that) was good for people who liked the book. I have heard, however, that all the other versions are pretty bad.

Anyone know otherwise? Has anyone seen them?
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 03:41
By the way, TPAM, does Erik have a last name, or is he just Erik?

Nope. At least not as far as I can remember. He's just Erik. If someone else remembers better, they can correct me. But I'm pretty sure that's all he's ever called.

P.S. I didn't know about that TPAM thing either! Very glad to hear about it.
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 04:21
lol TPAM!

Thankx, I thought he was just Erik... for some reason I always thought Erik named himself... am I imagining that? Is that why he has no last name? Or am I just making things up? :dizzy: Can anyone help me?

Hmm, I haven't seen it, StarOfTheDunedain, but I plan to. Has anyone else?
Lordoftheringsfreak5
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 04:12
I deffinately think Erik(Phantom) was way better then Raoul(pansy)! I do agree with the fact that a bit of counseling would do him good, but he was so cool! Especially in the book...I cried at the end. Raoul...He's just so boring! (Sorry to you Raoul fans.) And Erik loved Christine waayyy more! But I have to say, Christine didn't really deserve someone as cool as Erik. I think that Meg(movie version) would have been a better person for him to fall in love with because she would have loved him and not cared about his face. Am I the only one who thinks that?
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 11:07
You could be right, TPAM, but sometimes the in the movie, Meg looked about nine years old to me.
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 02:06
I've seen the 1920's Lon Chaney silent film. For those who are wondering, it's a typical silent film. Basically, if you've seen one, you've seen them all as far as those go. The movie is much closer to the book than any of the others have even remotely been. However, being a silent film, the gist of the story is hard to catch if you aren't already familiar with it. And, though I've seen it several times, I have yet to see a clear copy. It usually comes on an unknown channel around Halloween if you're interested in seeing it.

I've also seen the Claude Raines version. Very departed from the book. A sweet story, but very loosely based on the real one. Susanna Foster plays Christine and she hits one note in one of the operas that is so high, but soooo clear - like a bell. It's beautiful. That is the version that Michael Crawford watched several times when he was first approached about being in the play. At the time, he thought he would be Raoul, so he concentrated on Nelson Eddy. He talks about it in one of his concerts on film (probably the only one). It's kinda humorous!

As for the other version, one has Jane Seymour in it - haven't seen that one, but from what I've read it isn't really like the book either. One is called "Phantom in Paradise" - it's pure rock. I haven't even considered watching that one. Just the title is "blasphemous" to the story.

Anyway. For those who were curious. I hope it helped. I could explain more about each one, but I don't want to bore.
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 06:36
I'm not sure if I heard this here or not... but I heard that back in the 1920's when the silent film came out people ran out of the theaters when they saw the Phantom. I saw pictures and I don't think he looked that bad.

You could be right, TPAM, but sometimes the in the movie, Meg looked about nine years old to me.

I agree! I always comment on how sweet and cute she is, lol.
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 10:23
That's interesting! And it is possible I guess. Remember, in the 1920s, people hadn't watched a lot of horror films, or even read "horror" books. To someone who has never been exposed to something like that, Lon Chaney's phantom would be pretty frightening I suppose.
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 04:39
Hehe... yeah, I can see all these flapper girls running shrieking out of the theater... hahaha... *snickers*
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 07:13
lol. It is pretty funny when you put it that way!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 08:52
HI. Newbie here.

I have both versions of PoTO (WS and theactrical). They are really great. Also have the CD. I have watched the Phantom of the Paradise. I have it in DVD. It is good if your into rock music. Paul Williams did an excellent job on the music. But he could have done better on the Phantom. You can't compare him to Andrew Lloyd Webber. I also seen Phanton of the Opera with Robert Englund in it. It was good. It wa about a girl who was performing PoTO on stage when she had a accident and when she was knocked out she went back in time to the 1800's to when the PoTO took place.

I adore Gerard Butler. He is a great actor. He did wonders to the role of Erik. If you go here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098090/ read the plot outline. It says that the Erik's last name is Destler. Mind you this is music written by him 100 years ago. It might be the last name of Erik. I'm not sure.

Has anyone went to a stage production? How was it? I would like to see one with Michael Crawford.

[Edited on 21/12/2005 by balrog]
Lweven
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 01:18
I haven't seen the theater production, but I heard that the movie was a BIG let down, not really sure, of course, but I did hear that the it was way better on stage. I know that the music is very awesome from the original stage production, its so wonderful!
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 01:22
It is excellent on stage. Michael Crawford, sadly, no longer performs the part. He used to do a couple shows a year in London (I think for the anniversary or something) but he doesn't do that anymore. Probably getting too old for all of the physical exertion the role requires.

I wouldn't say the movie was a let down after seeing it on stage. I love the atmosphere at a live theatre production...there's just something about it. And it is just beautiful live. However, the movie was able to bring to life some things that are impossible to do on stage. If only the two could be combined into one....

I've never even heard of the movie where she goes back in time into the story! That one sounds interesting!
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 12:57
When i was PoTO (Broadway), i just sat there with my mouth hanging open. It was AMAZING.
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 02:27
You are sooo lucky to have been able to see it! I'd love to :love:

I got the Sarah Brightman-version Phantom soundtrack for Christmas and I love it! I was upset when the Andrew Lloyd Webber version soundtrack didn't include songs like 'Notes' or 'Il Muto', not to mention them all. Does anyone know why?

And is there a CD of the complete soundtrack for the Andrew Lloyd Webber version?
Lweven
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 07:20
I think there is, I actually think my friend has it.
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 03:34
I got the Sarah Brightman-version Phantom soundtrack for Christmas and I love it! I was upset when the Andrew Lloyd Webber version soundtrack didn't include songs like 'Notes' or 'Il Muto', not to mention them all. Does anyone know why?

And is there a CD of the complete soundtrack for the Andrew Lloyd Webber version?

Sarah Brightman version/Andrew Lloyd Webber version. Same thing. There are only two different "versions (or four if you want to be technical).
1. "Highlights from The Phantom of the Opera: The Original Cast Recording" (Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman, Steve Barton)
2. "The Phantom of the Opera: The Original Cast Recording" (this is the 2-disc, London cast, full score, book of lyrics included)
3. ""A Joel Schumacher Film, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (this is the 2-disc, full score from the movie)
4. There is also a highlights from the movie, but I don't know the exact title, sorry. It's the only one that I don't own. (I'm a bit obssessed with Phantom. Sad huh? *blushes*

Hope that helps!
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 07:08
Ohhhh, that helps a lot! So I must have recieved the second version on your list, and I have the fourth (again, on your list) and there is a full version for the movie! Excellent!

And it is not sad to be obsessed! It's great, and one of the most beautiful, most tragic love stories ever, if you ask me... :love:

Thankx!
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 12:47
I just finished reading the book... all I can say is wonderful!

I wouldn't know if the movie is a letdown because I haven't seen the show, but I want to so badly!
Frodo_MinasTirith
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 07:28
I saw the movie just last month, and it was just..beautiful! Within a week I bought the movie, book, and the 2 disc film soundtrack. I'm listening to it now. The story is just so emotional. And the music, ah it's gorgeous. I cried at the end of the movie. But I don't know, I kind of think the end to the book is even sadder. I cried just reading it, because Erik is just pouring his heart out and, gosh, it just gets me. :cry:
I've been listening to my soundtrack practically none stop since I bought it. Music is so powerful to me, so when there's music that has strong emotion I really feel it. It sounds kind of weird, but I think a lot of you know what I mean.
I know Erik says something about how he got his name in the book, and that he does not have a last name, but I don't remember exactly why.
Anyway, the movie is gorgeous. I've never seen a stage version, but from recordings I've heard. I greatly prefer Emmy and Gerard to Micheal and Sara. I love how Gerard's preformance is so emotional. It reminds me of the book, how he doesn't hold back. It just makes it so, real.

[Edited on 21/1/2006 by Frodo_MinasTirith]
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 10:01
I agree that Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum act the parts well - particularly Gerard Butler's acting. (Off the subject, why does Emmy Rossum have to whisper every line she doesn't sing? Kinda distracting to me.) However, neither of them can sing too well. Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman, on the other hand, both have famous singing careers. I never saw the two of them act, so I don't know how well they did that, but I think it's safe to assume that they were pretty good.

It all depends on which you prefer...the depth of feeling that Gerard Butler portrays in his scenes and the fact that Erik doesn't have to have a nice voice to be a great artist? or the beautiful soaring voice of Michael Crawford that makes the songs come alive? Likewise with Christine: Emmy Rossum's voice quality fits the idea that Christine is not yet a mature vocalist and that her voice is lovely but still needs improvment. Sarah Brightman vocals have a crystal clarity that fits the absolute beauty and near perfection of Christine's voice - the beauty that mesmerized Erik and earned her the part in Hannibal.

I can't say if I like one better than the other. I think, for just listening to, I prefer the London cast. However, the movie is wonderful to watch cuz then you get pulled in to the emotions and it doesn't matter if the people can sing or not.
RienofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2006 04:24
I love POTO!! Emmy has such a beautiful voice, there are some things that she doesn't pronouce well while singing, but i just like the sound of her voice.

One thing that kind of bugged me with the new movie was the fact they never mention that the Phantom's name is Erik. It would be so easy to do and it would make him a bit more "human."

I loved the book, Erik is so cool. If he wasn't so crazy, he would make such a gentleman. He is so polite and he knows how to do so many things.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email