Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
Post RE: The Phantom of the Opera
on: November 24, 2006 08:48
I have a question about the movie though? Does anyone know why Madame Giry tells Raoul to put his hand at the level of his eyes?? I don't understand why he has to do that

Because in the book there was the danger of the Punjab lasso, which basically was a hangman's noose that the Phantom used to strangle people with. The way one could escape from it was to keep their hand at the level of their eyes so the lasso catches the hand as well as their neck, therefore rendering it harmless. In the book it explains that the Phantom was an expert in the art of the Punjab lasso and had learned how to use it while in a sultana's court.

(I love your siggie btw!!)

[Edited on 24/11/2006 by Shadowfax_Pip]
M00N
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2006 01:23
Thanks

It all makes a lot more sense to me now. I really should read the book, but at the library it always seems to be taken

(I love you're avatar Unicorns are the most awesome fairytale-creatures)
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 11:32
Why thank you

I had to order the book through a library interchange. My library never has the books I really want.
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 03:11
I just saw Phantom again yesterday, and this time it was in Philadelphia! Oh wow, it was amazing! John Cudia is the Phantom. Now after seeing it again, I think I like the play better than the movie. However, the movie is still absolutely wonderful!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 10:30
I have a quick ques: Who here has read the novel Phantom by Susan Kay? Oh my gosh. It brings SO much insight into why the Phantom turned out the way he did, and I understand so well now. Be warned tho: it's not a pick-me-up and it will haunt your dreams that night! Believe me! But it's good nonetheless.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2007 03:30
It seems like I'm always the last to get on the bandwagon of the good movies (except LotR!), The Phantom of the Opera was no exception, but I'm glad I finally got to watch it! I was so amazed by the gorgeous music and beautiful music!

I skimmed though the past pages of this thread, and would have to say that Raoul was the right choice for Christine. The Phantom was deceiving her, so she couldn't and didn't think clearly about his character...
About The Phantom being miscast, singing-wise, I have to agree; on the high notes he was sounding like Arnold Swarchenegger, but he's handsome and his acting was awesome. Nice sideburns

I really admire Christine's compassion for the Phantom (Erik?), she never recoiled or cringed at his face, and she understood how people had deeply aboused him... And the Phantom himself showed selfless love by releasing Christine to Raoul...
That last scene in the movie made me cry!!! with the monkey organ playing "Masquerade" :cry: and "Christine, I lo-ve you" *sniff*

I found the sheet music at the library, and go through the day humming "All I Ask Of You" and "Think Of Me", my sister thinks I'm nuts! (she will be too, once she watches it )

Must read the book!

oh, and thanks for the explanation about "keep hand at the level of your eyes", I didn't understand it at first...
Here

*To correct link...

[Edited on 19/2/2007 by LadyCeleborn]
Adudaewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2007 10:28
Phantom is by far my favorite musical movie EVER

So beautifully done, and speaking of beautiful, hello Gerard Butler. Yummo!
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 01:08
my thoughts exactly, Adudaewen! I'm listening to the music right now; wish I could sing like Christine... gorgeous movie!
Adudaewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 10:06
my thoughts exactly, Adudaewen! I'm listening to the music right now; wish I could sing like Christine... gorgeous movie!

No kidding. I would pay a lot of money if I could sing like her. I heard that Emmy Rosum was only 17 when she filmed PotO. Amazing control she has over her voice, its hard to belive that a teenager is capable of that.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 06:30
17, wow! Didn't she also train with some opera theatre/company/group since she was 7?
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 06:12
Please nobody shoot me, but...I have to say Raoul. Yes, Erik is extremely appealing because of his mystery and his music and lets not leave out his looks (at least on the movie). That would be exciting and, in a way, intoxicating. When Christine is with Erik, she is under the influence of his charisma and his music, which all but puts a spell on her and seems to hold her in a trance-like state. She doesn't think straight - she can't! However, may I remind you of how she feels when she insn't with Erik? Poor Christine is scared out of her wits of him! She knows what he is and what he does and that it is impossible to change him. She loves the good side of him - the side that only she and the Persian have seen on rare occasion. But she fears and lothes to the very core of her being the bad side of him.

Now, while Raoul isn't half as exciting to be with, he does love her just as deeply as Erik does - and it is real love, not just infatuation. Raoul risks everything to save her from Erik in the end - knowing that there is no possible way he will succeed, yet he has to try. And, even though he does win against all odds, it is a very bittersweet victory. His brother loses his life and Raoul inherits everything but he and Christine have to leave all they know and essentially die themselves in order to be protected - because...wait a second...for those who haven't read the book, I can't say why. Sorry. But the rest of you know what I mean.

Anyway. I don't know if I've made my point very well, but there it is. In the end, I have to choose Raoul, while grudgingly turning away from Erik.

I know the Phantom is probably getting old with all of you, but I can't get over it :love: and ArFeiniel, who wrote the above comment is right on every point... I had a question, though, is the rope that Erik has around Raoul near the end the Punjab lasso?
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 03:51
Oh Jozy, I like Phantom too. I haven't watched it for a long time though, the last DVD broke, oh dear!

I agree with ArFeniel though, Raoul is the best!
In the movie, I think he looks hotest when his hair is wet, when he goes down to the Phantom's lair, or whatever you want to call it. My friend agrees that he looks best with his hair, either back or wet :drool:
I know that sounds weird, but whatever.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 11:26
GAHH!!! NO FOP! NO FOP!

By 'fop' I mean Raoul. I'm for the Phantom (aka Erik) 100% and completely dislike Raoul. I don't think he could have ever loved Christine as deeply as Erik did, not by a long shot. But that's JMO...moving on...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 01:36
lol Shadowfax_Pip, I had a big thing for the Phantom as well, I still like him a lot because of his awesome voice! (personally his voice is waaaay better than Raouls) but I must go for Raoul in the end. I do like the Phantom when he first shows himself with his awesome mask and hair nicely slicked back.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 02:53
I'm still for Raoul, wasn't Erik more infatuated with Christine than in love with her?

I loved the Phantom's hair! His sideburns are lovely and he looks so mysterious in his mask...
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 10:41
No kidding...sigh...:love: must have Phantom :love:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 11:25
yeah....and I love the Phantom of the Opera song, in the movie it has the electric guitar and the awesome organ music, it sounds soooo cool! and his voice just adds to it!:love:
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 09:28
So what's everyone's fav. songs from PotO? Mine are:

Angel of Music
Phantom of the Opera
Music of the Night
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
Wandering Child
Down Once More

Not neccesarily in that order, but just in the order of the movie.

I read that Andrew Lloyd Webber is considering doing a Poto sequel! Squee!!!:love: Even tho I think a prequel would work better, but JMO...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 10:35
yeah, I agree about a prequel Shadowfax, but I think that would be really neat, as long as it has the same people.
here are my favorite songs...

Phantom of the Opera
Wandering Child
What is that one called.....One love, one lifetime? I can't remember the name anymore.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 10:06
All I Ask of You, I think it is, Elfy Love that song!!!

A sequel! wow, what else could happen, story line-wise? hmm...I agree, a prequel be better, it could explain Erik's past. But still, it'll be good to look forward too. Is Andrew Lloyd Webber making it for a stage production or for a movie specifically?
I like all the chief songs, especially:

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
All I Ask of You
Angel of Music
Masquerade
No One Would Listen (I saw this in a movie on YouTube, but didn't remember it from the movie; was it a deleted scene? it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3KYiLKpsk)
Prima Donna makes me laugh!
but Think Of Me is my absolute favorite :love:

Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 10:06
Oh, and I read somewhere that Phantom of the Opera fans call themselves "Phans"
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2007 02:28
lol Jozy, I guess we are all Phans then.

Oh yes, I LOVE think of me, don't know why that didn't make it on my list....must have slipped my mind.
I like Prima Donna too, it makes me laugh, she is so funny.
"He love a me." lol!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 02:07
Oh, and I read somewhere that Phantom of the Opera fans call themselves "Phans"

You're looking at one, Jozy! A proud Phantom Phan here!

As far as a sequel and whatnot...I got the info off of andrewlloydwebber.com, on his blog. It didn't say whether it would be a film or stage production, it just said that he has lots of ideas.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2007 10:59
thats cool, I'll have to go and take a look.

He's there, the Phantom of the Opera!

Just couldn't resist mate
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 01, 2007 07:25
I don't protest

If anyone wants the lyrics to the songs I'd be willing to PM them to whoever...just an offer...
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2007 05:05
I found the PotO sheet music at the library! :love: I think we all have the lyrics for The Phantom of the Opera down pat. Erik: "Sing for me, my angel of music!" Christine: "Ahhhhhhhh!"

I would love the lyrics for "Learn to be Lonely", the one that Minnie Driver sings, if you happen to have that one, Shadowfax
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2007 05:03
lol Jozy, I think I have that "ahhh" down too.

hmmm, I will have to see if there are any lyrics I want...
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2007 10:42
I finally got my family interested in PotO! We I ) rented the movie on Wednesday...even my brothers thought it was cool. I think we have some Phans in the making
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 10, 2007 10:48
Excellent Jozy!! Be prepared to have the lyrics to "Learn to be Lonely" via PM presently. There can never be too many Phans in the world!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 06:38
nice work Jozy. Most of my friends already have seen the movie and stuff, so I don't really have anyone to show it to. Oh well.
But it is fun having friends who love the movie cause we usually sing the songs together, I always sing the Phantom's parts because my voice is a low alto, but I do love his songs!
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 09:41
I finally got my family interested in PotO! We I ) rented the movie on Wednesday...even my brothers thought it was cool. I think we have some Phans in the making

oh lets stretch the truth, now why don't we? :naughty:
Sure, I was intrested for the first few days, but you keep singing the songs over and over and over and over... :rolleyes: . Ugh.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 09:44
okay, I'll say one thing.....I have not watched the movie for a long time but thats only because the DVD stopped working. :sob:
And I don't sing the songs everyday, but I do sing them when I'm around my friends, the ones who can sing the high notes, lol!
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 01:51
And I don't sing the songs everyday, but I do sing them when I'm around my friends, the ones who can sing the high notes, lol!

I know what you mean, Elfy; some of the notes Christine has to sing, it's like, "Wow!" especially at the end of "The Phantom of the Opera". Gerry (Gerard) is a baritone, isn't he? I can sing like him when I have a sore throat Raoul is a little easier for me, since he's a tenor, I'm a soprano
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 06:30
yeah, he's a baritone, I can hit some of his notes but not the real low ones.
I can sing Raoul's parts really easily, kinda sad....lol.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 10:51
So while we're going over musical abilities...due to some of my inspiration (I'm so modest) some friends of mine are TOTALLY hooked on PotO, and this who's 11 can hit all of Christine's notes. It's creepy. I can hit the F above high C if I'm lucky and I really stretch it...urgh
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email