<< First56789
Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Phantom of the Opera
on: March 16, 2007 11:42
thats pretty crazy!

Well, back to the subject....hmm, I have nothing to say....someone else tihnk of something interesting to contribute
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 07:24
You know how Andrew Lloyd Webber has a sequel in the works for PotO? It's called "The Phantom of Manhattan" and is adapted from Fredrick Forsyth's novel of the same name. (the novel was meant to be the sequel to the ALW musical, not the original PotO book)

Well, anyway, I found the book at the library and read it while babysitting tonight . I won't give anything away, but the story of the Phantom takes a fascinating turn...oh, and I cried at the end.

Broadwayworld.com notes that Webber says that the sequel will follow ideas from the book and that he wasn't happy with some of the plot, but that he and Forsyth will work out the bugs.

hope that was something of interest, Elfy
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 05:21
very interesting Jozy, I will have to read that....I love crying books.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 05:53
I do to! I think it's a sign of a good author who can make me cry
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 08:32
oh yeah.....hmmmm....I can't remember the last time I cried because of a book.

My friend in college is taking singing there and she might be in a opera, she is really good! She has an amazing voice, becasue she can range from Soprano to Tenor and she can hit Christine's notes!
She is very pleasant to listen to.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 23, 2007 10:45
YESS!!! He's not doing Phantom of Manhattan verbatim!! YES YES YES YeSSSS!!!!! Some of it was pretty good, but some parts were just :twitch:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2007 03:14
hmmmm, so they aren't going to do that one eh? Interesting.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: April 11, 2007 08:01
Well, yeah they're going to do it, but not verbatim. Just off the top of my head I could point out several problems with it just for continuities' sake. I'm so happy!!!! :love:
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2007 05:27
What problems did you notice, Shadowfax?
I think it'll be interesting to see how he transitions the book to the theatre (or is it going to be a movie?)
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 07:11
*SPOILERS!!!*

Well, for one point in PoM, at the end Christine is killed by an insane gunman at the turn of the century. At the end of the film Christine's tombstone said that she died in 1917, almost ten years after her 'death' at the hands of a shooter.

Also, it basically says that the Phantom and Christine slept together in the book, and it's very much implied in the film and play that he refused to touch her until they were properly married. And there was a bit of history connected to Raoul that just wouldn't work in my eyes.

**END SPOILERS**

I don't know if they're going to make it into a play or a film...I hope it's a film, though, for no other reason than I don't have the funds to go see a play like that, and I live in the middle of nowhere.
Lindelenilda
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 07:24
I looove The Phantom of the Opera!!!!! :love: We're playing arrangements of some of the songs in my youth orchestra. It's so awesome! :evil:
The only problem is that now my sisters and I just can't stop singing... It's beginning to get very annoying :cry:

You will curse the day you did not do
All that the Phantom asked of you!!
*covers ears and runs away* *starts singing* :banghead:
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 09:14
I had some friends who have seen the movie go and see the play in New York(why they traveled all that why just to see that, I'll never know) and they said it was something I had to see.
StrangertotheRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 09:11
I had some friends who have seen the movie go and see the play in New York(why they traveled all that why just to see that, I'll never know)

Same reason why people travel to see a concert or to go on vacation and such. Broadway really is something to see. It's hard to see stuff like that in a lot of places. It's a good reason to travel if you ask me.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2007 07:52
discussing spoilers!
Well, for one point in PoM, at the end Christine is killed by an insane gunman at the turn of the century. At the end of the film Christine's tombstone said that she died in 1917, almost ten years after her 'death' at the hands of a shooter.

But wouldn't that just the filmmakers assumption about what date she died? Gaston Leroux's book didn't said anything, if I remember right...it wasn't really detailed.

And there was a bit of history connected to Raoul that just wouldn't work in my eyes.
yeah...kinda sad/weird, that part...

...I live in the middle of nowhere.

Ditto!

Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2007 07:55
The only problem is that now my sisters and I just can't stop singing... It's beginning to get very annoying :cry:

It's like that with me too! My sister gets annoyed with me singing, so she only lets me listen to the Soundtrack once a week
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: May 03, 2007 10:11
Aw, just once a week? I'm always playing the songs on piano and singing them (I'm trying to catch up w/ Christine ya know ) which drives my older bro nuts. But my younger bro usually joins in! *mwahahaha*
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2007 04:43
Hehe, I sing way too much. I get people annoyed sometimes. My told me to stop once because it was getting too annoying.

I'm excited! A week from Saturday I'm going to see it on Broadway again!! Jennifer Hope Wills is Christine and Howard McGillin is the Phantom. They are both awesome!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 07:49
Woodelf! Shame on you, rubbing my nose in the fact that I can't see it!! :cry: :cry::cry: I found out that it's playing in St Louis, which is about 4 hours away, in October the week after my b-day, and it makes me so MAD THAT I CAN"T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 02:20
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that! It would be so awesome if you could see it!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: May 18, 2007 07:00
Awesome isn't even the word for it. If I could go I'd die of happiness, but come back to life to see it I'm working on my parents, droppind subtle (and not-so-sublte) hints almost every day...maybe it'll work, who knows?
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 01:43
Let's hope it will work. Perhaps if you offer to pay your own way... that helps a lot. But it is expensive. Why do they have to make the plays so expensive??
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 09:39
Beats me. The cheapest tickets I found in Chicago are...um...$188 dollars A SEAT!!! It's insane...phooey.

I've discovered that I can change the audio on the DVD and hear it sung in French! It's very strange at first but rather cool when you just listen. My brothers are having me write out the French subtitles as we listen...it's difficult but then you notice how the words work.

It also makes me wonder if people who watch it in French switch to English and laugh becuase it sounds weird to them...who knows?
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 01:42
Haha, that would be funny. Are there any French speakers who like Phantom and do that? That's insane about the ticket price. Sigh.
ElerrinaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 01:52
I love Phantom of the Opera... As i have never seen the original musical, i have to say that i like the book and the movie... And our school's production... we did it in concert and i was christine .
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 06, 2007 10:38
YAHHHH!!! *goes into conniptions* I would KILL to be Christine in the play!!!! ARGH!!! *crumples up into a ball and withers away*
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2007 02:52
That is so awesome ElerrinaElf! I would love to be Christine in the play too! But alas, I cannot sing like that, for I would say I'm an alto, and untrained as well.
ElerrinaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2007 04:58
I had a lot of fun with that production. Although most of us were singing "Past the Point of No Return" and really meaning those words by the end. I can't sing that high anymore 'cause I haven't had to do it for 2 years now. I'd have to work up to it again... that Eb at the end of "Phantom of the Opera" is a killer. It took me months to work up to it...
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 08:31
I managed to hit that E-flat a couple weeks ago...after working for MONTHS to reach it!! I can reach nearly all of Christine's notes but they need a little smoothing out
ElerrinaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 12:53
yeah, it's tough. Even by the time of the performance I could barely squeak it out... and i did squeak. the highest note I can reach comfortably is an A above the staff.
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 03:57
Wow, I'm really jealous! But I thought that the high note at the end was an E. I know in the movie Emmy Rossum sang an Eb, but I know that in the play the Christines sing an E. Oh well. Anyway, I would really love to be able to sing any of Christine's parts. I can manage to sing Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again. I'm sure its easy for you guys to sing, but again, my voice can't really get too high.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 09:27
don't think that it's easy, Woodlandelf!! It's not!! you have to be careful not to strain your voice or hurt it trying to hit a certain note, believe me.
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 03:30
Haha, true, true. I didn't really think of that. Wow, I'm tired, and I don't know what else to say!!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 08:42
Has anyone heard the French overdub for PotO?? I discovered it quite by , and the voices are GORGEOUS. I absolutely love the Frence version :love:
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 02:55
I just searched for it, very nice indeed!
Astalder
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2007 06:56
Phantom is the only musical that I love besides My Fair Lady. the guy that plays Raoul (sp?) is gorgeous, especially if you get rid of the long hair and sideburns.... :twitch: sideburns creep me out sometimes. lol
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email