Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK EE - All Discussion, News, Trailers, etc.
on: December 14, 2004 04:17
Today's the day! Now lots of people will be rushing out to the stores and drooling over thier copies. Wish I were you. :cry:
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 04:21
Wuhuu, finally got it yesterday!!!*bounces up and down......

.....looks at my calender......:cry:s*

But don't have time to watch it before monday!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 10:08
im getting it today!!!! it's december 14!!! but i'm not getting it until my dad gets home :cry::cry: i no im spoiled but still
Methalius
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 10:40
I picked up my 4 copies today during lunch. (Guess what I am giving my friends & family for Christmas? )

I'll be leaving within the next few minutes. I can't wait for after dinner to start watching this bad-boy. :disco:
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 02:12
I hope I'm asking this in the right place. Does anyone know if the Extended edition of return of the king has any easter eggs in it and where to find them. Thanks a bunch!
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 03:01
Yes there are 2 easter eggs. The first is on disc 1 and the second on disc 2. On each disc click on 'Select a Scene'. Go to the very last scene on the discs and a ring will appear; click okay, and voila, the easter eggs are there.

Nice avatar you have there Lady_of_Edoras.

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by Shadow_fax]
Cadence
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 09:01
SPOILER WARNING

How wonderful........ Later I will have comments on the new scenes and new editing in ROTK, but right now all I can think about is the second appendix DVD. I hate that Lord of the Rings must end, and I'm always craving a sense of closure. The last part of the "Cameras in Middle-Earth" documentary helped provide this .The feelings of the cast and crew created for me a heartfelt and soothing catharsis. Peter Jackson aptly said something like, "We are all in the Grey Havens today."

Of course I connected the most with Frodo/Elijah. I readily feel his pathos in the movies, and I got a breathtaking dose of the real thing as I watched the filming of his last scene come to an excruciatingly drawn-out end. Peter kept asking for another take, as if it were unbearable to willfully declare the end. Peter inevitably had to determine that final take, and afterward he and Elijah had a long, teary hug that was a real-life image of Frodo's hugs at the Grey Havens. This time I saw not the legendary Frodo of Middle Earth, but a modern, living Frodo.

I feel thankful toward the people who made that awesome documentary!

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by Cadence]

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by Cadence]
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 09:19
I went to my wonderful Wal-Mart store at midnight the 14th and picket up my copy of the EE ROTK :disco:. My husband and I watched it tonight . It was WONDERFUL. There's no other way I can describe it. If you were a big crier :cry: watching the Theater one, be prepared for the EE. Your going to be doing double duty in the crying :sob: :sob:. I used a hand towel for a hankie, lol .
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:18
i saw it...here's what i thought
i only watched one easter egg...i better hurry before school to watch the second!!

i was a little dissapointed that they didn't have as much frodo/sam stuff...but it was really good!!
the earthquake was reallly awesome!! it was sad when pippin and merry saw the mithril i felt sad and i also felt sad at the star part

my favorite part was when sam and frodo are in the orc line and frodo says "hit me sam" and sam is kind of reluctant how cute
i like how they put "no slinker, no stinker" awesome.

it's VERY long...4 hours and 10 minutes but i made it through. i got the collectors set...really nice minis tirith statue

what did everyone else think?
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 05:44
Thanks Shadow_Fax!
Void
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 06:56
Needless to say: SPOILERS

The one thing that I liked about the Theatrical cut of ROTK was the fact Gimli didn’t clown about in it. He had a couple of wry moments but he wasn’t a comedy dwarf. In the EE however, several of the scenes feature Gimli being, well: plain weird. The drinking game and the Paths of the Dead being particular bones of contention. The “comedy” was too over-the-top for my tastes.

Blowing away one ephemeral hand was funny, doing it over and over again wasn’t. And the bit with the skull crunching by Gimli; I groaned with displeasure at this. Contrast that with the spectacular skull avalanche and the variable quality of the re-instored material becomes apparent.

The rest of the additional material was mostly welcome, though not always as good as I thought it might be; perhaps they were in too much of a rush to get some of the effects finished- the Saruman scene being an example of this. Contrast those effects to the ones in “Gandalf’s confrontation with the Witch King” scene and you’ll see what I mean. The omission of both scenes from the Theatrical version was particularly galling though and I was glad to see both of them back in the EE.

Oh and Howard Shore is a genius and the music that supported the Saruman scene was powerfully evocative. In fact I liked that acting too and was largely content with the deaths, so I suppose I am being critical of the scene based on a couple of wonky effects. WETA have done such a great job I think they are entitled to the odd drop in standard.

One extension to a scene that I really liked was the one where Pippin searches the fields of Pellanor for Merry. In then original he finds him straight away (in the daytime if I remember). In the EE he searches the battlefield for the entire day and eventually finds Merry at night.

The extras on the DVD (not in the film) are awesome and I found the one detailing the frantic efforts to get a completed version of the film to the distributors on time, enthralling. It seems that no one team ever had a final cut on which to work with.

Every time the sound guys had laid down their tracks, the effects would be redone or the scene re-edited. There is even a few moments where you see the producer Barry Osborne giving some of the heads of team serious grief. Oh and if you believe Elijah Wood, even PJ didn’t see a finished cut of the entire film before its premier in Wellington. Elijah then does an impression of PJ which is fantastic. I’ll say no more on the matter.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 09:45
Picked up my copy of ROTK yesterday and watched it last night.

It was awesome. I loved all the extras scenes that they put in.

- The drinking game between Legolas and Gimli.
- The Paths of the Dead. I loved it when the three were standing on the shore of Anduin that Legolas shot an arrow and it hit PJ.
- Pippin trying to find Merry on the Pelennor Fields.
- When Eomer found Eowyn and thought she was dead. That scene made me cry.:cry::cry:
- When Aragorn was was healing Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. I was so impressed that PJ showed that Aragorn has healing powers. It was like the scene that PJ used in FOTR when Frodo was stabbed by the Witch-king of Angmar.
-The love that Faramir showed for Eowyn.

There are so many scenes to pick from that these are a few. What I was surprised about is that they didn't put more EE scenes in the last part of the movie when the Hobbits return to the Shire.

I'm going to watch it again this weekend and then I'm going to review the appendices. I'm hoping that it will be the greatest appendices they put together.

I also want to see the two short films that Cameron, the young filmmaker that PJ and Fran knew. Sean Astin's short film about Tall and Short was great. I can relate to being on the short side.

Again, I would like to thank PJ and the Cast and Crew for putting together a great film. These films are going to be watched in my house forever. Thank you again.
~elvenflower~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 11:53
i don't believe it i have to wait till christmas!!!!!!!:cry: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
but it does sound awsome gah iv gotta stop im getting to obsessed. :banghead:
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:48
elvenflower I HAVE TO WAIT TOO!!! I might get it this friday from my bday but idk!
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 05:50
Oh, this is the old thread! I didn't recognize it with those big "spoilers" messages! I haven't checked the movies forum in so long it's scary...

I got the RotK EE yesterday (the earliest day I could in the U.S. I even tried to get my mom to take me at midnight, but nooooo, I have to wait thirteen hours longer to watch it after school. It was torture!!!!

Anyway, the movie was AWESOME!!!!! There were lots more funny scenes, and a lot of added Pippin and Merry ones. The Houses of Healing was short, but I was just thrilled that it was there, and they played a really pretty song during it. I haven't gotten to much of the appendices, but waht I saw was great.

Also, the easter egg on disc on was hilarious!!!! I was absolutely dying. If you didn't watch that easter egg, go do it right now!!!!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 08:03
I agree, ~hobbitluver~ . When I found the easter egg of Elijah and Dom, and watched it I laughed so head I wet my pans. I couldn't stop from laughing. The expressions on Elijah's face was almost to much for this old hobbitmom .
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 06:23
there's another easter egg!!!! did you see it?????? it's in disc two, you have to go to fanclub credits, and go down the same way you do with the scene selection, until the hidden ring shows up, and there it is!!!!!
Elvish4ever97
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 03:09
Oh my gosh I got the EE the day it came out and am totally obssessed. I can't believe I own it. Tomorrow will be a whole year since it came out in theatres. It is really upsetting that there is no more rings stuff to be released. ITS OVER. :sob: Not to spoil anything but all the EE scene are spectacular. All the actors interview s are great and some made me cry because they were so beautiful. They filmed pick-ups last year. Wow. It is totally amazing. The dom and elijah easter egg is halarious. I almost wet myself from laughing. Great stuff. Dom and billy also play off eachother so well in the comentary. I really love those guys, oh got to love orlando! :love:
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 06:07
It may not be over yet, Elvish4ever97 . There's still a very good chance "The Hobbit" will be made. After that...then we can cry :cry: :cry: :cry:.
All us on CoE being such grate and loyal fans can keep LOTR alive :love: :heart:.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 10:37
We've finally watched all of it! Phew! What a ride! Loved all of it!

Now wanting more......

PJ teased us with glimpses of scenes not in the EE, such as the fate of Leggy and Gimli. I want to see those scenes!

Let's hope Peter Jackson doesn't make us wait for the 25th Anniversary Edition to see everything!

presage
Anarane_Taralom
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 10:42
I saw in thr appendices that there was stuff filmed about Legolas and Gimli's fate... I really wish that there had been a wrap-up of the rest of the characters other than the hobbits. I know that the focus was on Frodo and all, but I would have liked to have seen something about Eomer ruling Rohan, and Eowyn and Faramir, and how long Aragorn ruled, etc. Oh well.
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 12:22
It isn't in??? Darn, I had hoped it were....

I'm with you guys, I want to see it real bad, but I don't want to wait until some anniversary edition or so...:cry::cry::cry:

It could be soo cool seeing it, but on the other hand, then we still have something to wait for, like some kind of 4th movie.... Then it's not over, which it still isn't, because the Hobbit hasn't come out yet.... And I'm almost 100% sure that PJ is going to make it, since LOTR have had such a big succes!!
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 04:12
the easter eggs were soooooo funny with dom!!!!!!!! i love it
hang in there for those who are still watiting!!
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 09:15
I know, it's so sad to think that it's over. :cry: But really, LotR can never end. I mean, the books stayed popular for 50 years, and the movies are such a huge hit I know they'll be around for a while too. Plus, there will always be us obsessed fans to keep it alive.

I'm pretty sure that PJ wants to make The Hobbit. I also read somewhere (it was probably from this site, so you guys might have seen it too) that some of the actors who played hobbits want to come back to play their ancestors for The Hobbit. The question is more about all that copyright stuff. It would be terrible if someting like that stopped the movie from being made. :cry:

I also read an article by someone who thinks LotR will be remade in the next 20 or 30 years. If that happens, maybe there will be another LotR craze when my kids are my age. Now that's a weird thought!

Whatever happens, I'm sure CoE isn't going anyhere for awhile, and i doubt we'll run out of things to talk about.
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 05:55
the easter eggs were soooooo funny with dom!!!!!!!! i love it
hang in there for those who are still watiting!!

The Easter Egg I found is Ben Stiller and whosits "interviewing" Peter Jackson for the MTV spot. I have seen it before.

I looked at the "ring" at the end of the credits on disc two. Anybody know what's going on? Is Canada deprived of the Elijah and Dom thing?
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 01:38
Yea! I have my computer back! Everyone celebrate! :cheers:

Anyway, my sister and I got surprised. My parents went out Tuesday night, the 14 of December, and came home w/ 3 medium Domino piizzas, cheese bread, cinnamon stix, buffalo wings and, this was the biggest surprise, the EE of RotK! We were not expecting it for a while. We were so happy. We stayed up until 1:13 am watching it. We loved it. But we got creeped out at one point. During the scene where Frodo, Sam and Gollum were walking by the statue of the king and Frodo said that he had a feeling that he wasn't coming back, some boxes in the kitchen fell down. They had been stable for weeks, and they just fell immediately after Frodo finished. But other then that, we watched the movie with relish! :disco:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 03:09
I have finished watching the EE[for the first time! :love:] , but have yet to finish the appendices....am working on that. Love ALL the new stuff...the part where Eomer sees Eowyn is SO sad, and acted SO very well.........man oh man...I just wanted to give Karl a big ole hug........... I bought the gift set, so I'm really looking forward to watching the Howard SHore dvd...ought to be a treat. The minis tirith sculture that came with the gift set is so very cool....it has a little compartment in it that has the white tree of gondor, and the stars on a background of black. It is VERY well made...now I wish I would have bought the gift sets of the other two.......... :cry:
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 02:19
Oh, by the way. Did anyone else hear someone say "Arwen" in the scene where Sauron seems to be speaking, calling out to Aragorn at the Dagorlad Plains? (you know, the part just before he says "For Frodo"?) Just wanna make sure I wasn't the only one. :disco:

[Edited on 21/12/2004 by The_seventh_Ringbearer]
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 06:42
i love the EE!!!!!! its so cool!! i still have to watch all the extras but something that really stuck out was the part talking about Annatar (saurons *pretty* form). i am so glad that they did not change the ending to Aragorn vs. annatar/sauron. that would have been really sad and dissapointing. i's glad that it was abandoned. did anyone find this part interesting?

the interesting part was that they actuallly tried to change it.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 07:38
I just finished watching all of the Appendices . All of it was very interesting. I became more impressed about the making of ROTK after watching what all was put into it . I wish I could go to each and every person that had any part in the making of ROTK and give them a BIG HUG :hug:, because they have earned it ten thousand times more then ever. As for Peter, I would give him the BIGGIES Hug of all :hug:, because he gave me the thing I've always wanted to see happen ever since I first read the Books. and that's bringing my Frodo, and the other Hobbits to life :love:

Whatever happens, I'm sure CoE isn't going anywhere for awhile, and I doubt we'll run out of things to talk about.

This is so true ~hobbitluver~. Those that love the Books and Movies will never run out of things to talk about, because we all have wonderful imaginations here at CoE

The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 10:05
At least to keep us going until someone (preferably Pete) makes the Hobbit film. Come on, you know it's gonna happen sooner or later. :disco:
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 08:58
I definitely hope we get a movie of The Hobbit! I'm a bit of a pessimist, though. I'm trying not to get my hopes up or if it doesn't happen I'll be really disappointed. Maybe we should picket. Wouldn't that be fun?

Oh, by the way. Did anyone else hear someone say "Arwen" in the scene where Sauron seems to be speaking, calling out to Aragorn at the Dagorlad Plains? (you know, the part just before he says "For Frodo"?) Just wanna make sure I wasn't the only one.

I know that Saurone says "Aragorn" and "Elessar" at this point in the movie. It's possible that you confused one of those with "Arwen". Either that, or I've just never noticed that he says "Arwen". Next time I'll watch that part with the subtitles and find out.

I looked at the "ring" at the end of the credits on disc two. Anybody know what's going on? Is Canada deprived of the Elijah and Dom thing?

I'm not Canadian, but as far as I know no one is discriminating against them. The Elijah and Dom Easter Egg is after the last scene in the scene selection of disc one. This confused me at first too, only I didn't realize there was an Easter egg on the second disc. Now go watch it if you haven't, it's great!

By the way, I heard that "Use Well The Days" would be on the RotK EE, but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have any info on this?
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 01:17
I just love the EE!! :love: I can't get enough of it :love: I've watched the Film 3 times already and am almost finished watching the appendices, then there's the commentaries to listen to. :disco:

By the way, I heard that "Use Well The Days" would be on the RotK EE, but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have any info on this?

Howard Shore discusses the song, "Use Well The Days" on the Music for Middle-earth documentary on disc 4, ~hobbitluver~. We only hear one or two lines of it, but it does sound a very beautiful song. I would love to hear it in it's entirity.

I agree hobbitmom watching all the hard work, effort and commitment put into these Films is astounding and all cast and crew deserve recognition and a big :hug:. I love the books and always will, and I love the fact that my favourite book has been adapted into 3 marvellous Films. I cannot thank PJ enough for bringing it alive and visual. And let's hope he does bring the Hobbit to the screen too. :disco:
theringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 07:01
I love it I love it I love it!
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 10:15
Thanks, Shadow_fax. :hug: I haven't gotten to watch all the documentaries yet (trying to save them), so I'll have to watch that one next.
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email