Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
Post What languages do we speak?
on: September 21, 2002 06:32
In noticed in the Getting to Knooooow You Subject that a lot of us speak a language other than English (and Elvish). So I thought it would be interesting to see who else speaks another language. I will start by saying that I'm in my 5th year of studying French and I just started learning German. I would like to learn Italian and maybe Russian.

Bonjour!!!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: What languages do we speak?
on: September 21, 2002 06:47
although I am from an officially Bilingual country (Canada) I am really only fluent in english. My problem with French is that I just keep forgetting the vocabulary as I don't practise it at all. :drool:
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 06:50
There was a thread a little while ago, but it is probably in the deep dark somewhere and it would take a little while to dig it out. There is a neat collection of russian speakers around including myself. I also speak french, can't write it to save myself - although my family isn't french they may as well be considering my sisters and my mother are all fluent in the language I'm not but I can understand just about anything anyone says to me... I'm also learning spanish and I studied japanese for a while a high school.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 07:07
I kind of figured that there was a topic like this one so I looked, but I couldn't find one.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 07:11
Oh, and I like your signiture PotbellyHairyfoot!
Yano
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 09:29
I live in Canada and I speak English, more English(which is a really messed up language) and I just started learnign Japanese.

What I think is strange, is that I'm expected to learn another language in 3 years, while I have been learning English for the past 15 and I'm still learning it.
Airetasarë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 09:31
I speak English (live in Ohio) and elvish, but i also speak alittle spansih, latin, and french. took lotz of diffrent classes lookin for the right one, lol
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 10:27
i speak english, french and a bit of spansih
tracy
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:35
I speak Tenglish. Its a lot like english but its Tenglish.:dizzy:*the room is filled with silence as everyone looks at tracy like shes crazy*......what?
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:39
OK Ive been doing Japanese for 3 years and I can speak jibirish
And of cause Elvish
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:41
jibirish whittyb???
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:44
yes like
@#$%*P)^%!!!!!!!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:46
technically i can speak three languages-

english (native language)
latin (gcse)
german (gcse)

though i am awful at the vocabulary in latin! and only have very basic german. the problem is if i dont use it i loose it- so to speak

~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:47
yes like
@#$%*P)^%!!!!!!!

lol ooohhh gibberish. I think we can all say we speak it fluently.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 12:48
LOL, !@@^^#$^&*!!!
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2002 01:05
well i speek English and Gibberish
#$&)&*!^%( whittyb lol
Elénserkë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2002 04:07
I speak English, Spanish, some Elvish, Japanese, Slovenian, Gallego, and French. And apparently, gibberish!!! $&#@_()!@&*!

Or, as they say in Spain: "Hablo inglés, castellano, un poquito de (elvish), japonés, eslovensko, gallego, frances, ¡y por teléfono!

--
Edit: I forgot to mention the bit of Italian that I know. :blush:

[Edited on 26/9/2002 by Elénserkë]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 01:46
Hola Elénserkë!

I rather like your:
un poquito de (elvish)

Just one question... What language is Gallego???
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 01:52
Ive never heard of Gallego either?

How many people speak gibberish out there, you must be smart people!!!!!!
Elénserkë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 02:39
Gallego is somewhat a mixture of Portugues and Castillian Spanish that is spoken in the NW (Galicia) region of Spain.

!@#$%*#@)&*, whittyb.
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 03:35
The only language I'm totally fluent in is English, but I have some rusty German hidden tucked away somewhere and I'm near-fluent in ASL (American Sign Language). It's easier to sign than it is to be signed to, but I'll get used to it eventually.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 04:09
Yes, every little bit does count. Has anyone here tried to make up their own language? Me and a couple of friends once tried making our own alpahbet so no one else could read our notes, but it got too confusing.:dizzy:
KingofMark
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 04:12
Norwegian, English, and a bit German
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 07:19
I am learning German in school (I've been learning it for 3 years but I'm still not very good - I'm taking it for GCSE), I did French for 2 years but dropped it when I took my options, obviously I speak English, I'm trying to learn Sindarin and I would love to learn how to speak Polish (I have a Polish penfriend and I would love to be able to talk to her in her own language). Can anybody here speak Polish per-chance??
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 08:27
My mothertongue English, and Brazilian Portugese. Also a smattering of Spanish, because I live in a city which is over 60% Spanish as first language.

I suppose Pig-Latin doesn't count.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 09:29
English is my first language. I speak enough Spanish to get by on, but not enough to confidently claim to be fluent. I also can read and speak a little Hebrew,---though probably not enough to get a good hotel and meal in Israel.
Oh! anday, I'may, uentflay in-ay, igpay atinlay.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 10:47
Nope, I don't speak Polish either, even though I'm half Polish. I wish I did though. I have this book and it's all in Polish and I can't read it at all. :cry:
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 10:55
I suppose Pig-Latin doesn't count

fcourseoay tiay oesday cothiasay! uhh....that looks wrong, and it probably is. lol
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 11:24
I'm sure my Spanish is just good enough to get me beat up in Mexico or any other Spanish-speaking country!
Naithriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2002 03:37
Whee, getting beat up!
I am near-fluent in French, although not much that could be of use should I ever go to a French-speaking country as the words I know pertain to homework, science, math, etcetera. Last two years I was kind of dumped into a bilingual school (French and English) without a word of French to my name, so it was kind of beaten into me under pain of failing Mathematiques or Biologie or even *traumatized shudder* Education Physique. As in Gym!:cry::cry:

Of course, I had two sets of tutors. One was the sweet lady from Luxombeourg (sp?)who taught me the past tense and how to ask proper questions. The other was made up of the Haitian girls in my class who taught me some very, very, very bad words in Creole. :evil:

Oui, j'ai fait mon devoir. J'ai seulement l'oublie a ma maison. Madame! Ce n'est pas ma faute! C'etait mon chein, il a mange mon devoir..c'est vrai!
Elénserkë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2002 05:22
Ah, how very important it is to be able to say that "my dog ate my homework" in a foreign language. It is right up there with "where are the toilets?", I expect!

y-may og-day te-ay y-may omework-hay!
Gandalf666
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 01:19
I´m argentinian so yo hablo español lol, but i also try (failing most of the time) to speak english as well as i can. Currently i´m studying japanese (anime obssession? no...). I love to communicate with other people around the world through english, i like that language very much.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 01:48
So, Gandalf666, did you learn English as a second language??? Is it as hard to learn as everyone says it is???
Gandalf666
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 02:13
So, Gandalf666, did you learn English as a second language??? Is it as hard to learn as everyone says it is???

It depends on how much you like the language you´re learning, or languages in general. For me its quite easy to assimilate english because i love learning languages(english in particular),and i´m skilled (one gift god gave me hehe). I´m also taking japanese lessons :dizzy: ...........no comment
KingdomWarrior
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 08:20
Ah Languages, my favorite topic!

I speak English, of course. I have also taken Spanish, though I haven't used it in about 4 years, so I have forgotten a lot!

I took 2 semesters of Japanese, but I couldn't finish it as I graduated from that college.

I took Latin, Biblical Greek and Hebrew in highschool - Homeschooled.

Now, I am studying Quenya.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email