Author Topic:
Lasti
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What languages do we speak?
on: January 18, 2007 01:01
My native language is Dutch.
I speak English without trouble.
My German is a little rusty, but still a language I like very much.
I know enough French to buy bread in the bakery or to chat about the weather.
I did study Dutch Sign Language with its four or five dialects for some time. Unfortunately I never use it anymore and forgot most.
Long ago my brother and I took Turkish lessons for a year , but the only word I remember is “Merhaba”.
And at the moment I am busy with Sindarin.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 10:52
I'm learning French, but I like Elvish a lot better!!!!!!!!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Caleniel41
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 01:28
I am currently learning Spanish at school. Last year when I was homeschooled I taught myself some Latin which I am trying to continue in my spare time.... but two languages at once can be a little confusing. :dizzy: considering I'm not very fluent in either of them, it can be hard to keep from getting mixed up :blush:
Anyway, I hope to learn Arabic someday. It has a beautiful sound to it
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2007 07:57
I'm a native English speaker, and I'm in my 7th year of studying French at school now, and my 5th of German. However, my dad's German, the upshot of which is that my written French is better than my written German, but my spoken German is near-fluent in comparison to my French. Bah, c'est la vie. C'est dommage que mon père ne pouvait pas m'élever bilingue... aber so geht es. Als ich jung war musste er viel reisen für seine Arbeit, so leider war er nicht genug zu hause...

Hah, j'aime bien les langues. Sie sind cool.
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
on: March 26, 2007 03:14
I speak english and kniow some sign language
Nendhínen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2007 04:29
I speak Czech (and Slovak which is akin to Czech)

English, German - quite good
Latin, Russian, Sindarin - poorly

I would like to learn Irish.
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2007 06:54
I'm fluent in English. I took four years of Spanish in high school, and now I'm taking Japanese, Chinese, and French.
RaistlinMajere
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2007 03:16
I saw that a lot of people here is studying that disgraced language called italian !
I can speak fluently Italian (of course, it's MY language), english, french,a bit of german, spanish and chinese, a lot of latin and ancient greek, and I'm going to learn Russian. I'd like to learn Japanese, Hindi and Irish gaelic too, but not now.

Un saluto a tutti quelli che studiano italiano! CIAO !
Bonjour tout le monde !
Hola !
Nì hao !
Guten Tag !

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2008 06:03
I speak english and Swahili fluently, but i know a little german
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 10:26
English is my First language, though to be absolutely correct it's my vernacular as I also speak 'Gaeilge', that is Irish fluently

A lot less fluently I speak French, Conversational Italian and can mutter some Spanish.

And as all good Jewish girls do, I speak some Hebrew :love:

I aspire to add Sindarin and Quenya to the above someday . . .

Legsi
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2008 10:45
Well, my mother tongue is Russian and I've noticed that a lot of people there can speak Russian which turned out for me like a big surprise. Also I know English, it is not very good but I'm trying to develop it, and German.

Всем привет!
Hriste
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2008 08:10
English of course, and I've been teaching myself Latin. Which I can read well enough, but I don't speak it
I would like to learn Sindarin just because it'd be fun, and if I become good at that then Quenya, and whatever I want to!
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Heed no nightly noise! Fear no grey willow!
Gam-gam
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2008 07:17
Well, English, obviously ... and this is my 4th or 5th ish year of taking Spanish. I'm starting to take French as well, but I can't get much further than 'I like pizza' and 'I go to the beach'.
I would really like to learn ancient greek because I think it is such a beautiful language, both spoken and written. And I want to start trying to learn Elvish again, though I can't decide between Sindarin and Quenya
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2009 12:42
I'm learning German, but want to learn Japanese and Russian in the next 2 or 3 years - both conversationally and written. I've only just begun to relearn German, so have a few months to go yet before I can read HP in German.

Eventually, I want to be able to read and write Dutch, Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese, but not necessarily understand it when I hear it. English is my native tongue.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2009 04:55
I speak only English, however I took French up until Grade 11 in highschool. That was many years ago now, so my French is not that good any more.
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What languages do we speak?
on: May 05, 2012 04:26
I speak a teeny weeny bit of French, but I speak German, Norwegian, English and Rubbish pretty fluently
Salquelatine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2012 10:04
English is my native tounge. I speak a horrid caveman version of Spanish (I can understand way more than I can say) and some Chinese. The family that I work for (I'm a nanny) speaks Arabic and French so I'm picking up a little bit of each...

I'd like to learn Korean and Japanese... and of course (as a good Hebrew gal) some Hebrew. But I'm not sure how likely that is

This may sound weird, but I don't think Chinese is as hard as most people think. The pronunciation (imo) is easier than French. I can't get the French r right. The daughter makes fun of the way I pronounce them in French. Aish, win some lose some.
JMBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2012 09:14
English is my first language. I speak Italian pretty well, along with a few phrases in Spanish and Elvish. There are so many other languages I want to learn though: Latin, German, Greek, Hebrew, Old English, French, Portuguese...
Image"Our God is a Lord of angels and of men... and of elves." -J.R.R. Tolkien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2012 05:18
My first language is German. I'd like to think that my command over the English language is rather okay-ish. Unlike my Dutch, which only gets me far enough to survive and maybe read some murder mysteries every now and then. I do understand a fair bit of French, but I can't actually speak it. Usually a conversation with somebody from France will end up with the person in question talking French and me answering in English.
Oh, and they tried to teach me Latin for some seven years of my life. Unsuccessfully, that is
Beriadanwen27
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2012 06:10
My native language is French, but I speak English quite fluently and a bit of German, Italian and Spanish.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2012 12:49
English is my native language, but I am in my second year of spanish in school
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Modern Major Tolkien Fan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2012 07:09
English is my original language, but I'm learning Danish, and next year I'll learn German in school.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2012 09:19
English 1st language and I'm just now starting to learn Sindarin. ^.^
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2012 12:37
I speak English and have been studying Sindarin for about 3 weeks now.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Nessa Sindanarie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 12:37
languages that i can speak (some not fluently)
english (obviously)
french
hungarian
german
elvish (mixed)
does black speech count??? lol
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!'' - Bilbo Baggins of Bag End
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 06:34
Lets see here...all of my friends think im amazingly smart because im quadlingual, if that even is a word. I speak English as my native, French fluently, spanish half fluently, I just have a hard time with verb formation, and sindarin. I know some mixed dutch and german, too
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 12:13
I fluently speak English and Brazilian Portuguese. I struggle with writing in Portuguese but I'm getting there. I'm in French 2 so I won't say I really speak it yet but I will soon! I'm studying a lot of languages but other studies get in the way and I study one language more than the other so I won't list them because when it boils down to it, I don't really speak any of them well enough!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2013 11:57
I know a couple languages. I speak English as a first language, I know a lot of Spanish and can hold a good conversation, although I feel that I'm forgetting more and more as I speak it less. I also know some Polish, French, and German, and am in the process of learning Sindarin. Oh yeah, and I can "speak" sign language, even though I am not deaf. It's one of my favorite ways to communicate! Anyone out there use sign language, even if they're not deaf?
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 02:51
no, not at all. In kindergarden. But you know this I would like to learn sign language, though!! So you can attempt to teach my memory lacked brain
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 07:21
Hm... Native language is Dutch, though I dare say I'm fluent in English, since I've spent so much of my time abroad. Other than that I'm semi-fluent in German (speaking, not writing, and only if I take the effort), I know some French and Spanish (but really not a lot, just enough to get me by on holidays). And that's it.

Not much, but you can get by with English in most countries.
~Nev~
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email