i WANT to learn Welsh, Gaelic, Japanese and Arabic

in THAT order...*grins*
i love arabian calligraphy? don't you?:heart:

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: What languages do we speak?
on: April 04, 2003 11:26
wow so many people that want to learn welsh!

i have never met people who really want to learn welsh for fun before (most people i know only want to know welsh because they live in wales and want to understand what people are saying)

Nothing will stop me from learning Welsh! (Tossing around the idea of even studying in Wales for a year after high school).

Friel where are you from? if your not englsih... wales is a very nice place to live, however if you want to go to wales to practise welsh language then the north of wales is the best place to go... down south where i live english is by far the main language, theres lots of welsh about but its not really spoken in everyday use. up in north wales they use welsh more than english in some areas and of course north wales has the added bonus of snowdonia which is a very beautiful place

Sometimes I wonder why I want to learn Welsh too (the answer - the Mabinogion insipired me), especially since I don't have a drop of Welsh blood in me. I guess I just feel like Tolkien with his Finnish and Welsh. I kinda know what you mean though; last exclaimation of disbelief I got was 'why on God's green earth would you want to learn that God-forsaken language?'

Thanks for the advice K - I live in Australia, which makes studying Welsh a bit hard, and obtaining Welsh dictionaries and grammars even harder (I'm not allowed to order over the internet). Lots of Welsh, but not a lot of Welsh speakers here. Added to that, I'm an Anglophile, so I'll probably try and holiday in the British Isles as soon as possible.
Tenemswe
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2003 11:27
Yeah, I have a friend from Wales... (: Don't speak Welsh, but I DO speak French, Italian and quite a bit of Sindarin that I've learned online (mostly thanks to this site! Go CoE!). And I should think it fairly obvious from my writing that I am a native English speaker. (Oh yes, I also speak Awazi, an invented language from the days when I wanted to be just like Tolkien... the verbs all end in "y" and there are no prepositions... need I say more?) Leave it to the masters, I say... also, not much point in inventing and becoming fluent in a language no one else on Earth speaks!
Ciao, Au revoir, Navaer
-Tenemswe (Yes, this has a meaning in my language- v. embarassing though)
Non maethor a maethathan! Yea, right. Aniron. hahaha
Toon
Former Giant Three Headed Dog
Send Message
on: April 04, 2003 11:28
I speak Dutch and English quite well if I do say so myself... I speak a weeee bit French and German. I'd like to learn lots of languages... but especially Mandarin I think.

and not to brag...

but I tought k all the Dutch she knows!
Saidyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2003 11:28
I speak English and I am pretty good at speaking and understanding Spanish. I'm working on Sindarin now and getting better every day!
Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2003 11:29
Wow I'm so happy to hear that so many people want to learn Welsh. Cymru am byth! Actually I wish I spoke welsh too. I have a welsh mother and have lived in Wales all my life but speak very little Welsh, English is what I've been brought up to speak. My parents don't speak welsh either so they thought it would be unfair to send me to a welsh speaking school. We do get taught Welsh in English speaking schools but I never really picked it up. It's a brilliant language though, it's got the best sounds.

Hmmm and apart from English and minute bits of welsh I've got a GCSE in German and that's about it.
Sony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2003 11:29
hey all! ahhh I like thinking of new and creative ways to speak our good old english language, and I speak Spanish. I'm not quite fluent yet. I know a tiny bit of Swedish, and I'm going to learn German. well, thanks to the internet, I know a little bit of a rather pointless number of languages, but not enough to be useful [in most cases]. [/b]word2word.com[b] is a really great link site. they have links to dictionaries, translators and free online lessons for about 150 languages. some brillian stuff there!
and..... I am learning Welsh. YAY! it sounds too brilliant! I love it... but I'm also a little behind. I really ought to work on that. anyway, I'm learning all of this off the internet because I live in the states. but actually the site is really good. there are a huge number of lessons and they have great audio files http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/catchphrase/catchphrase2000/all.shtml. have fun!
Pènncrabaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 01:24
I live in Germany, so German is mostly given (although I'm a horrible speller). I can also speak English (obviously), a little Italian, a little less Spanish and a couple phrases in Fijian (I'm half Fijian).
And Elvish.
*MelioftheShire*
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 11:07
Je vie au Canada et je parle les deux langue les plus populaire au Canada je parle le français et l'anglais!
Translation: I live in Canada and I speak the two most popular languages in Canada french and english!
galad_fea
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 05:58
I speak english (obviously)
Je parle un peau francais.
yo habla a poco espanol :dizzy:

And a handful or Elvish (only Sindarin, Quenya does my head in...) It strange because I took French in school for 6 years, and I've only been taking spanish for about 2mnts...but I can speak Spanish way better then french. I'm taking Latin next year, and I'd like to learn some German and Polish(being half polish, I really ought to...at the moment I can only say hello, grandmother, grandfather and....erm...'backside')

Isn't language a wonderful thing?

KitKat
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 07:41
Me? I speak Singlish! Its S'porean English but basically its just broken english. :lol:
I speak Chinese too. Its my mother tongue.
I speak abit of Malay, Dialect, Japanese and well some Elvish ya.
Not forgetting Gibberish!!! !@#$%^&*!

Lauz
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2003 07:02
I can speak Thai (not exactly fluently, but i'm pretty good) and i've been learning French for about 3-4 years, even though i'm not that good at it. Those verbs always get to me, lol.

Sawasdee kha, sabai dee mai? Noo sabai dee mak kha.
Meldon_Pereldar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2003 09:00
Woheeee!

I love languages! I try to learn them all at once!
Not going to good........

But I can at leasr speak:

1. Norwegian
2. English (Very good, some say! I have lived in England for 5 years)
3. German (Not zo bat, nein?)
4. Latin
5. French
6. Celtic and Gaelic!

Of 4,5 and 6 I only know bits and pieces.

Forresten, gode hilsninger til mine norske Landsmenn!
Ock till Söta Bror!
Eluned
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 07:47
Better bring Welsh back up to the top of the thread, then.

I speak:
fluent English (Hello, everyone)
fluent Welsh (S'mae, bawb)
not as fluent as it used to be French (Salut, tout le monde)
a bit of Sindarin (Suilad, mellyn)
very fluent Gibberish after two bottles of wine or six pints of Waddy's 6X *slurps, dribbles*

Leithianiell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 08:16
I speak Russian : Мне ненравится эта язика.
English
Latvian: šeit es varu rakstīt arī garus pārspriedumus, kaut arī latviešu valoda ir ļoti grūta, man tā ļoti patīk! (please don't ask me to translate that! It's to complicated for me )
Little French: only speak not write
Little Sindarin.
Little German.
Litle Latin: Pestis eram vivus mortus tua mors ero.
Aredhel_Isilrá
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 10:08
I speak Finnish as my native language : Hän oli katujen kuningatar vuonna seitkytseitsemän.

I have been studyng English for 8 years: I don't think you would need a sample
Swedish for 4 years: Men jag kan inte tala bra svenska
Germany for 3 years
and I've had one couce on Spanish...
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 11:16
Norwegian is main language for me. But I write/talk so much english now that it sometimes feel like my firstlanguage too
My mum is Irish, so I've spent quite a few years of my life in Ireland.
Other languages are German, Spanish, Icelandic, Swedish,
some Irish and some danish.

Hei og hopp til alle Nordmenn omkring! Godt å se at jeg ikke er alene her!
Galwain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 03:43
My native language's Dutch (ja, de fiets rijdt op twee wielen, want dat zijn dingen die je kunt zeggen als niemand (??) je begrijpt....ha!). However, English is the language I think and write in.

I also speak German and French, since, well, every Dutch kid at high school has to learn those by heart, I guess. Oh, and know a bit of Japanese and Icelandic as well!!

Me likes world lingo....
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 07:43
My first language is Dutch (I live in the Netherlands..) and I learn french, german and english at school...
I'm trying to get my english better by visiting sites like this
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 09:03
My first language is English (i guess thats what you get from living in England all your life )

I've been learning French for about 10 years (well, ok, i first learnt to say "bonjour" about 10 years ago. didn't really start learning it properly until about 7 years ago) i'm not great at it, but what i know is sufficient, i think. it came in handy when i went to france a couple of months ago anyway (i think i managed to say "je voudrais des pommes-frites", unfortunatly was in disneyland paris at the time and the woman answered back in english! lol)

I've been learning German for about 3 years now, and i'm not very good at it. i can swear in german, thanks to my german exchange partner and her friends, and some other phrases too, but unless its reading german i'm not very good.

I always confuse the two. like in a french exam i'll write something in german. in fact i wrote something in elvish in an exam once!

Oh yeah i speak elvish too (well a bit, just random phrases, lines from the films, etc. i dont know how to actually make sentances or anything)

and i know one phrase of japanese i learnt from a book of japanese proverbs, "mochi wa, mochiya" (am told this means "for ricecakes got to the ricecake maker". if i have offended anyone dont blame me)
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 10:30
I am 100% polish thus it appears to be my first language... though sometimes I come to think in fact english is A good example of what Internet can do to people
On a side note, I am quite surprised to see several people here of polish/half polish origin, I wonder if any of you can speak at least a bit of that language
Due to the characteristics of my native tongue I happen to understand more or less most of Slavonic languages [though some to a VERY limited extent], particularly that I live near eastern border of Poland.

I studied Latin for 2 years long ago but I am afraid my knowledge right now is limited to being able to translate something roughly when given a dictionary I understand quite a bit of German though, and of course struggling to learn Sindarin
Galadreil112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 01:43
I speak a few languages fluently.

1. English (Of course)
2.Japanese
3. I can speak Ancient Egyptian, I am thinking of becoming an Egyptologist, since its my homeland anyway.
4.Arabic (You live in Aswan, gotta know Arabic.)
5.Elvish (learning Sindarin and Quenya)
6.I also read egyptian hieroglyphics and Japanese characters.
I dunno if that counts as a language, but whatever.

I'd like to learn Spanish, but I never have the time. Another thing, have any of you noticed that animals respond more to Elvish than any other language? I told my horse Marquis 'Noro Lim Marquis' and he took off runnin! I didn't even touch him! Wacky.
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 03:46
I speak:
1. English,(of course!)
2. I'm learning French! I've been doin' it for about 2 years now in school. Je m'appelle Becki!
3. I know a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit of German. I should be doin' it next year!

I only know a few words of elvish:
ada=dad

That's basically it. I know how to say 'arrows', only 'cause it's in the TTT trailer! LOL!!!!!!!

~Becki
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 09:23
I speak Dutch( I live in Belgium).

At school we learn French, English, German and Spanish.

I speak already 8 years French and 5 years english and german( Which by the way tomorrow I have German exmanen :dizzy::angry

My spanish is not very good. Me llamo Hanne joos y vivo en Amberes...

3. I can speak Ancient Egyptian, I am thinking of becoming an Egyptologist, since its my homeland anyway

Galadrieil112 That is so cool that you can speak Ancient Egyption and that you can read hieroglypics! I'm fascinated by the Egyptian culture!:love:
Lorien_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 03:19
Hmmmm languages, huh. Well, I've had four years of French, and know a little Spanish - or at least enough to order a beer! And yes, I'm old enough to do that!

I'm also trying to learn Sindarin, but committing the necessary time has been a little difficult as of late. Must remedy that!
Meriliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 05:19
I speak German (native language, I'm from a part of Germany where you do not really differ between sch and ch - but I don't speak real dialect as some people in Bavaria or Northern Germany do). I learn English and Latin at school, I had to give up French (3 years) and Spanish (1 year) because there wasn't enough time. And I speak a few words Sindarin .

[Edited on 21/6/2003 by Meriliel]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 04:06
Okay folks, since we all seem to love languages so much, what do you think about setting up a language board on another site so that we can practice and converse (maybe even help teach) languages???
I have spare web-space so let me know if you are interested and I'll see what I can do...
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 11:21
Yay!! I :heart: languages and am in my fifth year of learning French and German. I also speak a little of Dutch and Cantonese (sp?). After my 6th year I'm hoping to go to Uni to study to be an interpreter!
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 04:02
I think that's a great idea, Lozza! I'm in!
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 06:20
Okay folks, since we all seem to love languages so much, what do you think about setting up a language board on another site so that we can practice and converse (maybe even help teach) languages???
I have spare web-space so let me know if you are interested and I'll see what I can do...

Oh my god!! That sounds like such an amazing idea!!! Especially seeing as I want to be an interpreter
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 09:57

Sounds like a great idea! I don't think I'd be of much help, but I'm interested anyway!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2003 03:10

I'm studying a dozen languages (couple of them being "dead") and you can imagine the amount of questions that raises... "Now why isn't *this* in the book?!" etc.. especially with the (lack of) material I sometimes have to do with. So yes, a board or anything would be rather helpful for me, but probably a pain to others! :drool:

Oh, and in case anyone is interested...

My so-called fluency: Finnish, English, Norwegian, Swedish, (Quenya, Sindarin... ).

Et other precioussses: Adûnaic, Arabic, Aramaic, Greek (modern mainly), Hebrew, Icelandic, Japanese, Khuzdul (for what it's worth), Latin, Old English, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, (Gaelic, Persian, etc.).

[Edited on 29/6/2003 by Elhath]
gil_galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2003 04:14
German is my native language. At school I had 8 years of Englisch which I speak quit well. And I had 4 years of French and 2 years of Spanisch. But I forgot most of my French and Spanish beause I hadn't possibilities to speak those languages. I'm a bit sad of it, but oh well. Maybe there will be a chance sometime.

gil_galad
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 30, 2003 01:05
English is my first language
Je parle francais assez bien car j'apprends en ecole.
Hablo un poco espanol.
My friend tried to convine me to learn latin next year (yeah right)
Once i'v finished french, next may i'm going to start learning elvish
theoddhobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2003 08:10
I speak English and French.
I want to learn more Elvish and Japanese.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email