Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
SarumanRhodes
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What languages do we speak?
on: March 16, 2004 06:48
I was born in the US so I speak English mainly, but i'm taking French at school, but it's really hard.
mango2587
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 06:49
Well... I was born in the Philippines so I can speak tagalog, but I tend to butcher the words... I live in the US and I speak mostly english... My grandparents tend to speak a mix of Tagalog and spanish to me, and surprisingly I understand. I am in my third year of speaking spanish, but I must confess that I'm not really that good... I tend to mix up a lot of stuff.. It's cool knowing how to speak another language.
SuziDragonlady
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 07:50
I speak German (mother tongue), English, French and a little bit Hungarian.

*yay* I have to do this...
This is the ring text in german... *g*:evil:

"Ein Ring Sie zu knechten, Sie alle zu finden, ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden" (short version...)
lhaewiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 11:44
I´m from Perú so obviously I speak spanish. Someday I´ll learn french, japanese and german *hope*.
Ninquelas_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 07:23
I was born in the US of A, so I speak English. Though, I can speak a bit of French, Spanish, and Latin. However, I know a lot of Elvish. So fun to use...
Uuma quena en'mani lle ume, ri'mani lle umaya. Uma ta at'lava ta quena ten'irste'
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 05:47
I can speak Dutch, Norwegian, Trøndersk (the local (Norwegian) dialect, very funny language), English, a little French, a little Quenya, enough Spanish to get me beat up if I ever go to Spain, and of course: GIBBERISH!
@#$%*#@)&*#%$/{*@!
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 11:05
English is my native language. I also speak Icelandic and French. I can limp along in Spanish and some Nordic languages, enough to get me in trouble.
erwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 05:36
English, Portuguese (My whole family speaks that since we are full blooded Portuguese), Latin, Spainish, French and Gaelic. I'd liek to learn the language of Slovenia. Anyone want to teach me?

PS Sorry for anything spelled/typed wrong. It is so late here!
anais
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2004 06:46
i know romanian(native language) english(like forever),german(4 years),spanish(11),italian(3),french(11years) and that's about it.i want to learn japanese but i don't think that's gonna happen in the near future...
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 08:45
Not including English, I am now starting a third language: Japanese. Woohoo! I'm teaching myself too! Yeah, I know I'm nuts...
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2004 04:07
German is my native language - I can also speak it in the Middle-Franconian dialect. I am also fluent in English and Japanese (my mother comes from Japan). However, as I never went to a Japanese school, I am not so good in reading or writing Japanese. :blush:
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 03:08
im from singapore, so i speak english as my native...chinese as my second. i also speak two chinese dialects, teochew and hokkien, because my mother is teochew and my father is hokkien. im self-learning sindarin, and taking japanese classes.
i would love to learn old english and gaelic, and spanish. oh yeah, i went to france for the cannes film festival last year, and i learned one phrase: parlez vous anglais?
and of course, being singaporean, i speak too fluent singlish!
cheers

[Edited on 25/4/2004 by kunamagreenleaf]
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 05:38
Well, English is my native tongue, but I studied Spanish (5yrs), Latin (2yrs) and Russian (2yrs) in high school and college. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've had any formal classes that I'm not fluent in any of those. I'd really like to continue studying Russian (I love writing the Cyrillic characters). I've also attempted to teach myself Scots Gaelic but didn't get much further than "ciamar a tha thu?" (how are you?).

Latha math an-dràsda!
RainBow
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 01:28
i speak slovenian (native language), english (6years), french (1year) and next year i'll start learning italian but i understand italians because i live near italy. i'd like to learn old english, so if anyone knows it,...PM me, please... :blush:
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 01:19
truegirl - there seems to be a number of us around that study Russian.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 07:13
Lozza - Привет!
Unfortunately, I've only had 2 years of Russian -- and that was almost 7 yrs ago! I really want to continue with it, though. Need to dig out my old text books and start studying again. Just something very appealing about that language. I even like saying it: Русский язык!

Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 08:04
My native language is French. I also speak English, German and Italian. I'm currently learning Icelandic. And I'll have a look at Sindarin if I can find some time !

I know (or knew...) a little bit of Norwegian, Dutch, Finnish, Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, Schwyzertüütsch (= Swiss German).

Dead languages :
- latin (nearly forgotten)
- ancient Egyptian, Sumerian and Akkadian : languages of old Mesopotamia (a bit forgotten)
- and some words of others like Phoenician (very close to Biblical Hebrew), Elamite, Old Persian (quite forgotten)...
and the writings of these languages : Egyptian hieroglyphics, cuneiform, Phoenician alphabet.
Shieldmaiden1981
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 09:38
Right now I am only fluent in English. I took German in high school for three years and would like to become fluent. I want to learn Icelandic, Portuguese, Spanish, and Russian (although I've heard that Russian is very hard).

[Edited on 5/27/2004 by Shieldmaiden1981]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 12:37
Russian can be very difficult for speakers of English or Romance languages because it involves case structure. And lots of consonants together that seem damn near impronounciable at times. But after studying it for 4 nearly 5 years, I think I´m really beginning to get a hang of the change of case (even when speaking )
RUA_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:05
English is my native tongue
then have French, German, British Sign language and beginners Irish Gaelic.
should be learning either Spanish or Russian next term, cant wait
Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 01:07
Russian can be very difficult for speakers of English or Romance languages because it involves case structure.

So can be Icelandic. It's a bit like German but much more difficult. You have to decline the adjectives and nouns (even names of people and places) but also 1, 2, 3 and 4 (and each one with three genders).
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 04:25
I speak English, and I've studied Spanish for about 3 years, and I'm attempting to learn Japanese.
MorganAnorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 11:23
I speak english and german and little swedish. Can anyone here speak finnish?
sazzra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 10:12
English mother tongue, dodgy French, REALLY dodgy Latin, used-to-be-fluent Russian and Turkish...I used to be able to speak a bit of Welsh, but mainly useless things like 'where is the bus stop?'
Hyarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 05:38
Meow. Other than English I know enough German to understand much of the words in the songs I listen to (Megaherz rules Rammstein anyday!). I can understand more German than I speak, I just finished German one and am ahead of many of the German two students (and I'm not even doing independent studies). I plan on doing independent studies next year so that I can make it to at least the first part of German four my senior year. My name was also listed in the newspaper as one of the top first year German students in the area (bragging).
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 04:54
Other than English, Latin and Spanish. I'm not the best but I can get a rough translation out of most things that I hear or read. But I do want to learn Italian and perhaps French one day.
Ranewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2004 04:00
I speak English...that's it. I did take French for 10 years, but I mostly can only read it, and I understand a little of what is said, can't speak it very well.
Katya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 08:02
I speak and lip-read English, I also use BSL. I can speak and lip-read a little Russian too, just enough to get by when I'm over there, as my Papa's parents were Russian.
Arfean
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 09:30
My first language is Russian, its now deteriorating horribly as I prefer to speak English. It just sounds nicer to me. I am learning Italian (third year now), know little bits of French, Japanese, Quenya and German. Once I spoke a bit of Estonian, but after four years in Australia I forgot it completely, pity really.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 02:56
i believe, i speak English.
Anthiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 12:07
I speak Polish,it's my native language,then English,Italian and a bit German and also Russian-I like the alphabet,hehe.Wow,LadyArwen,didn't know you're half Polish-how nice to know it-I'm Polish 100%-want some Polish lessons?

[Edited on 11/8/2004 by Anthiriel]
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 09:40
I'm in my second year learning french and I can speak spanish but not fluently and I can't write it fluently either. It's a bit shameful since my whole family is spanish and they speak it and I don't so well or write too. :blush:
Ortherion
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 03:17
I speak Turkish and English.I also started to learn German.I wonder if anyone here can speak Turkish??
Hobbit_Gal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 05:45
I've been taking Spanish in school for 4 years and then i'm teaching myself Italian also. I know a few words in Ojibwa, an American Indian tribe (I'm a bit over 1/4 Ojibwa).

Meowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 09:04
I speak Turkish and English.I also started to learn German.I wonder if anyone here can speak Turkish??

Merhaba Ortherion
Nasilsin (sorry for the i without dot but I have not the font)

I had begun to learn Turkish but I have much forgotten !
Meowyn
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email