Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
coriel_elfwyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post for horse-lovers
on: March 22, 2004 03:02
With all the attention the actors themselves are getting, has anyone given much thought to those beneath them? This is mostly on behalf of my sister, a die-hard Arod fangirl. Every time she sees a pictures she gushes, "Oh, he's so cute!" and she doesn't mean the Elf.

I must confess to have a soft spot for Arod too, though we all stare longingly after Brego in the movie. *That* was a good-lookin' horse.

So, I know there are lots of horse-lovers out there. Do we like Asfaloth, Shadowfax, Hasufel, Arod, Brego, Firefoot, Snowmane, Roheryn, Stybba, Windfola, or some other I've forgotten?

Coriel
CeruleanMosaic
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: for horse-lovers
on: March 22, 2004 05:44
I'm so glad you brought this topic up! The horses play such an important role, (the fight scene at the fields with the Rohirrim would have been much less impressive without them) but they aren't mentioned much. It seems like the few posts I've seen are about Brego, Legolas' horse isn't mentioned much, in fact, I didn't even know his name! (He's my favorite) Does anyone know what breed/breeds they are?
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 09:19
I love Shadowfax. Would you believe his owner was approached at a horse show?!?
I used to know a horse that looked just like him too
Asfaloth is also really cool.
My other Horse, Sky, was in LOTR before i got her and so was My old Ponies paddock mate, Toffee, so I think if they attually had names (in the movie) they'd be my favourite

~*~Gemz~*~
coriel_elfwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 02:10
Oh, wow. I wish we could have had a horse from the movies!

Anyhow, did any of those amazing linguists out there notice that Arod's name could be another of those double-meanings Tolkien loved so much?

"Arod" in Old English is "quick, swift, or ready."

"Arod" in Sindarin is "high, noble, or royal."

Tolkien didn't spend much time on Legolas, but it seems he gave him a subtle nod here and there.

Coriel
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 12:01
I loved the horses in LOTR too. I want to own shadowfax sooo bad. as for the question of what breed they are, I heard one of the producers of LOTR saying that Shadowfax is an Andalusian, and that all the ringswraith horses are that breed also.
:
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 06:04
Shadowfax is an andalusion(sp?) but not all the ringwraiths were (if any), they used more than nine horses for them, coz sometimes they were black, other times they were Bay and my other horse was a wraiths horse in the river scene in fotr and she sure as heck wasnt an andalusion (sp?) she was a thoroughbred.
~*~Gemz~*~
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 03:34
shadowfax an andalusian? i always thought him arabian..you know, tail carriage, head and all...
asfaloth really seems andalusian though, pretty horse
and wow! to all you who own a horse from the movies..i can't even go riding anymore =(

cheers
CeruleanMosaic
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 05:18
I just started riding I was thinking Arabian too, especially for Legolas' horse. Which one was he again? Name I mean
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 06:24
legolas' horse is arod, the grey from rohan

cheers
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 11:22
Hi all..im new here!
anyway, even if im not so learned as far as horses are concerned i just love them and i really like Hasufel!even tho Brego was the best "horse-actor" (talkin about the river-scene)!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 05:33
yeah! brego is cool did you watch the TT;EE where they trained him for the river scene? if he had sat on viggo...hehehe

cheers
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 05:56
I think its cool that Viggo went riding even on his days of
He brought the horse that played Brego, i think thats so cool (maybe its just me? lol)
about the horse breeds, im pretty sure that Theodens horse has Quarterhorse in it.....
~Gemz~
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 02:53
yeah..hes so dedicated..then again, why not make the most of it and ride while you can? riding is euphoric
he also bought TJ, the horse that played Hidalgo in Hidalgo i think..
havent' paid much attention to Theoden's horse..Snowmane right? i'll watch TT again..

cheers
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 04:43
yeah i think it's so great all the time he spent with the horses...and aint the "stable-scene" in TT.EE just great??i love that!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 09:13
yep thanks to that i now talk to horses in sindarin
and he collects horses from all the films hes been in too, lucky guy...and hes been riding for a loonngg time too.

cheers
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 12:29
actually just from the LOTR and Hidalgo films but...thats a nice number of horses he's got!lol!!and he just looks great on a horse!!lol!!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 11:43
he looks great all the time , especially on a horse, as you said
yea, those two are the only films hes been in that have horses, right?
if i could get just one horse....i would be in horsey heaven...and i would hug him, and kiss him, and squeeze him, and name him Brego :love:

cheers
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 05:07
i think he was also in a sorta western thing called Young-guns II but ive never seen it!!lol!!and perhaps the film he might do in Spain might have sum horsey thing since its about a mercenary (is that a word???)soldier in the 16th century in spain!!lol!!fingers crossed!haha!!he really looks great always!lol!!
oh i also soooooo wish i had a horse...first id have to learn horseridin tho!Lol!thats always been a dream of mine!and i was also thinkin about callin him Brego or anyway sum way from LOTR of course!Lol!!
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 07:03
just remembered there is a sorta stable scene in 28 days too with Viggo sorta groomin (is this the right verb??like cleanin, u know..im not english-native speaker so i have problems sumtimes!Lol)well he is sorta groomin a horse but i dont think he does any horseridin there...no actually im quite sure of it!!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 02:29
ooh! i haven't found 28 days yet, its terribly hard to get here...yup, its grooming and mercenary is a word, haha, a mercenary is a person who's profession is being a hired soldier. horses are nice to groom...until you nudge 'em over and the bugger steps on your foot -_-'
hes been in a lot of movies, hasnt he...gosh..one day i'll have to go hunting for all of them..and of course, watch hidalgo
i've been riding for a couple of years...fell 5 times, but never got hurt, lucky me

cheers
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 02:53
ive seen 28 days....... its was OK, i wouldent rush out and buy it or anything, if you know what i mean.lol.
ive been riding for 4 year and fallen of one and a half times (its possible )
if anyone want to chat on msn pm me. and if your on neopets pm me.
~Gemz~
LuthienReborn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 03:16
I loved all the horses they were so beautiful! I especially liked Shadowfax though, mostly because his character was so free and wild.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 04:57
oh well, Shadowfax is great as a character..as a kid i used to love white horses but now i just love brown ones...

28 days...beein lookin for the dvd for ages..as u said i wouldnt rush out and buy it for the film itself...its funny and all but nothin big really...just Viggo looks amazing in it!!!just hte way he comes on the screen is soo great!lol!!

aw thank u!those were the words i meant!!mercenary as well!!lol!i thougth it was a bit too italian(im italian!) so maybe it was wrong!lol!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 01:29
i dont really watch movies or tv..so if i saw it, i would get it, but i probly wouldnt watch anything until a long time later
wow! 4 years and only 1 1/2 falls? haha, i've done the half-fall before..i rose too late for a jump and ended up clinging to the horse's neck, almost sitting on the poor feller's ears :dizzy:
yeah, shadowfax is beautiful..my cousin has a thing for him
i actually really loved black horses when i was a kid cuz of black beauty

cheers
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 06:01
never seen Black Beauty but ... wasnt dear aul Sean Bean in it??lol!i was goin to watch it sum time ago cos it was on on disney channel but i think then i watched TTT dvd or sumthin like that!Lol!!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 12:32
i think there have been a few different versions of black beauty, but i dont recall any boromir look-alikes when i watched it..the last time i watched black beauty was a long time ago
i taped it, but the tape is lost somewhere in the house, and i dont think it works anymore

cheers
honerbright
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 02:36
i hate black beauty...... it really upsets me about the chestnut horse (i dont remember its name) dying......
i dont remember seeing sean bean being in it... but last time i watched i wasnt exactly looking at the people......
~Gemz~
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 03:00
yeah...that was sad..her name was ginger i think..such a pretty horse too
haha, same here..but black beauty..the horse who played him was gorgeous!

cheers
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 08:16
I have always loved Asfaloth. Asfaloth is the most beautiful horse in the movie. I also love Shadowfax and Arod. They are all so gorgeous. :love:
Elda_mellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 01:15
All the horses in the movie were really
beautiful.:love:
But I loved Brego the best.
I'm a sucka for brown horses.
They have a special beauty that i can't describe.
*Brego* is such a great name.
It's knightly according to Aragorn.
I heard that Viggo has a ranch.
Something like that.
But Brego definately is my favorite.
Because of Aragorn talking to Brego in elvish
it was that, that made me want to learn the language.
So now i'm learing Quenya !!!!
Thank you Brego!!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 03:11
Well, personally i luv all the horse. but Brego is the best lookin' horse i've ever seen!
tarkena
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 12:47
Its not just the colour!
Do most of you guys know the breeds and all?
Andalusian, Arabian, Thoroughbred, Elite Swedish Warmblood, etc?
I reckon Snowmane. It's a Rohan thing.
tarkena
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 04:34
I'm sorry to anyone who was affended at me saying that the producer of LOTR said the all the rwaith horses were Andalusian. Well, it's he that said it. I didn't think all the rwaith horses were that breed either.
whitestorm
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 02:08
I looove Brego :heart:! and also I love Asfaloth! I usually don't like andalusians, but Asfaloth is so gorgeous!
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 04:11
Yeh, I wondered who the Ringwraith horses were. I noticed many were dark brown/bay in color cuz true black horses are very rare. I figured a lot were thoroughbreds or quarterhorse/thoroughbred cross. The horse I ride now in the USA I jokingly call my Nazgul steed since she looks like the movie horses. She is a mahogany bay in color and a cross between a Friesian and a thoroughbred.

I liked Bill the Pony in the movies the best and wished they had given him the same coverage as he had in the books. In the films I believe he was a Shetland Pony/quarter horse cross named Cisco. Kind of ideal since he was built like a pony but stood the size of a horse so he could stand the same height as a hobbit in the movie and look smaller than he was.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email