Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: for horse-lovers
on: October 04, 2004 05:35
I'd be guessing the Nazgul horses NOT to be TB or QH/TB. Both those breeds of horses tend to be smaller, and the Nazgul horses were quite large. I'm guessing they had some larger breeds in them. What, I don't know, offhand.
SilentDarkness
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 09:17
My favorite horse is Asfaloth but to grace him with such an unworthy body was wrong. Glorfindel should have been in his rightful place.
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2004 03:47
You are probably right about the Nazgul horses, Eldirn, in that some breed would need to explain their powerful build and large size. It would be nice to know more from the horse's mouth
who all those equine actors were.

Regarding Asfaloth, he looked fine in the movie. I stray into off topic territory but I would have liked to have seen it the way it happened in the book since it gave Asfaloth more personality and leadership. In the book it was a team effort. Frodo stood up to the Nasgul, and Asfaloth was entrusted by Glorfindel to look out for Frodo and get him over the river.

whitestorm
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 02:54
Hey does anyone know what breed Brego is? I know he's a warmblood, but exactly what kind?
dancin_stars974513
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 02:51
hey everyone...i love shadowfax...he's (?) one of the most beautiful horses that i have ever seen...horses are sooooooooo beautiful...they are so elegant and strong...they are wonderful creatures...
Prophet
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2004 12:52
I love ALL the the horses in lotr, they are kind of like the real heros if you know what i mean, well at least at helms deep they were. My favoriets are: Arod, Bill, Stybba and of course Brego though that might be because Brego remindes me slightly of my horse(a 17hh, bay, TB/clyde.) Also i like the Black rider horses, although they somtimes looked like bays. As for shadowfax, Asfaloth, and snowmane... I never really liked grays lol,just joking! But in truth about asfaloth i didnt like how it was arwen instead of Glorfindel that rode him, I dont know what that has to do with the horse, it just dose. Shadowfax was cool but i didnt fall in love with him, and snowmane didnt really have a charactor.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2004 03:26
I like all the horses, in all 3 movies, but I really, really like the big dapple grey that Eomer rides in ROTK....not only a nice horse, but a good sized one too!!! And he really looks good on a horse. Karl isn't as natural looking on a horse as Viggo is, but still, not bad............. :love: BTW-28 days is a GREAT movie!!! Just saw Crimson Tide the other day...another great movie!!
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 04:46
Hey there guys

I'm not going to give any spoilers here, but just to say you are all going to be in for a real treat. There is a documentary about the horses in the appendices. I watched it last night and it is superb!
CeruleanMosaic
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 06:09
My favorite horse is one of the extras. He's seen in the ill fated ride that Faramir takes with his rangers. In the close up of them riding across the field he's positioned at the far right hand side. He's a beautiful dark grey speckled horse. I don't know what breed he is but I noticed him the very first time I saw the movie and have looked for him in that scene ever since. My second favorite is Legolas' horse ( I can never remember his name)
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:33
Whitestorm I think Brego is a Sweedish or Danish warmblood

CeruleanMosaic Legolas' horse is called Arod, which is translated in the Sindarin dictionary here to mean noble or royal

MTNwomanAR Same too! I loved the gray as well! There's not one at my stables that colour, but I see plenty at shows

The Black Riders' horses were probably mainly TB X warmblood or heavy horse such as a Shire. In England TB X Irish Draught or Shire are populare as large riding horses. But they probably weren't all the same breeding.
I liked Kenny, who played Husafel, because he looks a bit like my boy, also a chestnut TB X of about 15.1 hh. To say nothing of the owner/rider...
Elennar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 07:50
I have an arabian horse, and I love arabians, are you sure Shadowfax isnt an arabian. Also Arod looks like a quarterhorse, in my opinion. Those ringwraith horses I think maybe large horses like thouroughbreds or mybe some draft horses. Percherons, maybe?They can be black, and have feathering. I know alsfaloth is a andalusian, I think.Snowmane looks like a quarterhorse, and there is a horse at my barn who looks kinda ike Arod.There also a thouroughbred who would be a great candidtae for a ringwraith horse, I mean he is huge!
Anywho, grey and bay horses are my favorite, since My horse, Lil'Bit, is a bay

Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 07:19
My favorite horse is one of the extras. He's seen in the ill fated ride that Faramir takes with his rangers. In the close up of them riding across the field he's positioned at the far right hand side. He's a beautiful dark grey speckled horse. I don't know what breed he is but I noticed him the very first time I saw the movie and have looked for him in that scene ever since. My second favorite is Legolas' horse ( I can never remember his name)

Actually that horse appeared here and there in several scenes. That's the horse I thought would have been more appropriate to play Shadowfax.
Ithileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 03:19
ohhh, aahhh, neat oh. The horses are awesome animals, Brego and Shadowfax are my favorites, I lovbe Andalusians. I also think it was neat that Viggo bought the horse that did Brego, he is such a horse guy!
Lúthien_ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 10:18
I for one did like the training the horse (esp. Shadowfax) showed for the movie. But, while the horses were all very lovely, I felt they lacked refinement, ESP the elven horses and Shadowfax. Another thing that bothered me was the fact that Shadowfax WAS NOT WHITE!!!!!!!! :angry: If anything the impression I got from the book was that he was primarilly black. But he had no definable color, not in the context of true coat colors. I know this is bound to upset someone and I am sorry about that. I am not saying the horses weren't pretty, I just think that there are horses out there that could come a LOT closer to the books' descriptions. But the same could be said for the actors and some of the script.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 05:13
Lúthien_ArFeiniel, it says in Appendix A: The House of Eorl, that the first horse of the mearas was white.

"Leod was the name of Eorl's father. He was a tamer of wild horses; for there were many at that time in the land. He captured a white foal and it grew quickly into a horse strong, and fair, and proud. No man could tame it."

It would only make sense that they would continue to make the mearas white. Although, Shadowfax was actually grey. Had he been truly white, he would have had a big pink nose instead of a big black one.

Other than that I can understand what you mean. But I'm not sure there was much talk about the colors of the other horses in the books. And trying to find good horses that will cooperate isn't very easy. Maybe they had more luck finding greys to play Asfaloth (Legolas' horse right?) than chestnuts or something. I don't know.

I love ponies! And I am sure that Shadowfax is NOT an Arab. He is far too big for one. Arabs are small and rather dainty looking (though they aren't that dainty really). Shadowfax's head was WAY too big for an Arab IMO and I used to work at an Arabian breeding farm. >.>;;;

I love ponies! I can't afford to own any atm, but I do work with them and I plan on becoming a horse breeder. In fact I just got off of work maybe an hour ago. ^^;
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 03:31
Lúthien_ArFeiniel, in the book, Shadowfax is described as almost being able to blend into the background, as a combination of silver and black depending on the amount of light. I can understand your point about the two grays used in the films. And about the other horses- I thought Arod was lighter built than Husafel, but this didn't come across in the films. And Eowyn's horse, Windfara, I think, was a gray, not a bay in the book. Did Stybba (Merry's pony) look like an Arab to anyone? Luthien, do you agree? The least like a hill pony you can get! Scale issue, I should think. Where was Roheryn???? I mean, Brego was amazing, but I wanted to see Roheryn! And the rangers and Elladan and Elrohir.

Ithileth, he brought Husafel (Kenny) and also Asfaloth (Florian) for Jane (Arwen's riding double). It's all in an interview with Jane in an English horse magazine.

Luthien, Legolas' horse is Arod. Asfaloth is Arwen's in the movie and Glorfindel's in the book, the one at the Fords in FotR. BTW, I think Arod was played by a horse called Percy, but I might have got that confused with Stybba, Merry's pony.

Hope this helps!!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 04:55
I have to watch the movies again, my memory is a bit fuzzy. At first I had completely forgotten about Merry's pony! But then I remembered. It was when he was riding with the Rohirrim.

From my slightly foggy memory, I'm probably going to agree with you Rebecca. It would make sense as well. They could put Dominic on a slightly larger Arab without him squishing it; and then use either a small Arab (I've seen some that look more like Welsh ponies than actual Arabs) or a true Welsh pony (which virtually look like small arabs anyway). No one would really be able to tell the difference from far away.

I have another issue I'd like to bring up. In FotR, during Arwen's & Frodo's scene while they are escaping the Nazgul, was anyone else shouting, "GIVE THE HORSE HIS BLOODLY HEAD!" ... -___-; The poor thing had his neck cranked up so badly that its no wonder the Nazgul caught up with him! I think he might have had some special reins (can't recall what) too. Gah... Anyone?
Lúthien_ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 07:41
I know what you mean! His mouth was gaping open half the time! I felt like I was coaching one of my brothers on my gelding: "Please,give him some rein. Give him some rein. IF YOU WOULD GIVE HIM SOME REIN HE WOULDN"T KNOCK YOUR TEETH OUT." It drove me crazy to see how even the "Horsemasters" were always in thier horse's mouth.

Though the riding double for Ian had to have some skill to ride bareback and bridless. I can comfortably do one or the other on my gelding at the time.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 03:29
I don’t deny I’ve been known to do that as well. We ride the ponies bareback to their field about a half mile away.
As for Arwen’s riding, it was Jane who did it. Florian did look a bit unhappy about the rein contact, but it’s no crime to have the horses head on the vertical. Hte problem comes when the horse's mouth os open, like you say. Look at this pic of me and my boy at a local dressage competition!!

http://gallery.horsepower-photography.com/viewpicture.tlx?pictureid=1262311&offset=16 I'm not sure the link will work but I'll try it!

Becky

Sorry, the link won't work, it just goes to the homepage. It only showed my horse in a rounded outline without being too tense, nothing special.

[Edited on 19/1/2005 by Rebecca_C]
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 08:28
You're right there's no problem with holding the neck in that fashion. But when you are trying to get the horse to run at its full speed with its neck cranked up... Well it just won't run as fast that way. In Dressage, you're not trying for speed.

And how many times have you seen race horses crank their necks? I don't think its just because they want their horses' nose to reach the finish line first.
Lúthien_ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 07:52
I have a few friends that ride dressage and while the do ask thier horse to carry his neck up and his head on the vertical, they do not hold it there with the reins. I was refering to the mouth gaping as too much contact though.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 03:19
You're totally right. The 'perfect' horse would hold his head in the vertical position naturally, not be forced there by the reins. When I go at speed, usually on a grass airfield or stubble fields near my stables, I don't keep my horse's head reeled in!! I thought it was OK in the wide shots (with Hero), but Jane rode the flying changes round the trees (on Florian) a bit conservatively, like a dressage rider. My theory is that Florian was trying to go faster than she wanted, that's why his mouth was resisting her contact. She was probably going slowly to plan a route through the trees that would look good on camera. The other time I noticed was when the Black Riders have caught up on the open plain, Florian resists Jane's hand quite sharply sometimes. Again, I suspect he was getting overexcited and needed a stronger contact to stay in control. I've been in that position, and it's too easy to pull hard on the reins in order to try to stop if the horse is going too fast rather than trying other things such as circling. What do you think?

Becky
Lúthien_ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 10:43
I agree that it is easy to use your hands heavier than indended when your mount is being silly or hot. I sometimes had that problem with my mare, but she is so light up front that she broke me of it. But I have ridden horses that are easy to excite and they do tend to make you forget some of your manners. lol
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 01:37
While you may be right, Becky. I just saw the special features for RotK. Viggo actually buys Florian for Jane and you see her ride him. And you guessed it, she's riding him dressage style and preforming what I believed to be dressage (I'm not an expert on the different riding styles, more just the horse itself). So she was probably a dressage rider, riding the way she usually does. He may even be a natural dressage horse.

Oh and, it's said that the main horse who played Shadowfax (not the Branco?) one was an Aldusian (sp), but they made no reference to any of the other breeds that I can recall and I was listening for them.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 03:03
I was only guessing when I said about the breeds, but I have read pretty much every book there is on LotR and about horses.
I think Jane would do well as a dressage rider. She jumps that log way back in FotR but she's not totally balanced, her lower leg is slipping. I'm not trying to make her sound bad though, I can't do any better!
I think Blanco and Domero (Demero?) were both at least part Andelusian. Having said that, there's nothing I remember saying that, it's only opinion.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 07:20
Hey I thought you guys might be interested in this link that I posted a while ago but didn't get any responses I dont think that forum is too popular...

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=20915
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 04:59
Wow...you guys really know your stuff.

I have absolutely no concept of any of the technical stuff - I just love the horses! They are so magnificant!

When I saw TTT in the cinemas, and Shadowfax made his spectacular entrance, it caught my breath - literally.

I love watching the Home of the Horse Lords doco on the ROTK appendices disc - it's great watching.

I think I prefer Blanco to Domero - I was so happy when the trainer bought him!!!! And the story behind Jane getting Florian - it made me cry. I really love the picture of Jane with Florian rearing up - that's a great photo. I love Viggo's horse (I don't have a clue how to spell his name) - especially when they ride into Dunharrow - he just looks so magnificant.

I haven't been horse-riding since I was like 8 or something, and I really want to go again. When I eventually travel to New Zealand, I want to ride a horse along the beach...ahh...

ooh I also love the horse that Karl Urban rides!!! That horse is really lovely.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: September 16, 2005 02:24
hate to say this but it's not always Karl riding! There's some shots when you can see it's his double like the one where Gandalf says 'The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle for Middle Earth is about to begin'. But that's the dark grey, yes? Very nice, I liked that one as well.
And Aragorn's horse in the movies is first Hasufel (Kenny) and Brego (Ureas). In the book it's Hasufel then his own Roheryn.
As for the photo... I'd live to be able to do that. I can stick on if a horse rears but I've never trained one to do it! I bet mine would though, he goes backwards on command and up if he wants to go forwards and I don't let him.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 10:42
Yes! Finally a thread for us horse lovers!

First, I also loved the document Home of the Horse Lords, my best firend showed it to me and I loved the firendship between Urasues between and Viggo. It just melts your heart, plus Urasras is gourgus, I love his coloring!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 11:02

Yes! Finally we mention horses!
I love Shadowfax (as you can tell by my logon name, lol), and I really like the dapple-greys in the film. I got a thing for greys.
As for you people who have fallen off (heehee) I just fell off my hoss the other day-it was my fault. I've been riding for approximately 5-6 years (no lessons) and I've only fallen off 5 times that I remember. The first time i landed on my stomach and knocked the wind out of myself-I was only about 8 at the time too

:cheers:

Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 02:09
Well, I always really liked looking at Shadowfax. Gorgeous horse. I'd like to get one like him some day...
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 01:30
They're all good looking and very well trained horses!

Rulea- that's a real friendship, there's nothing better than a horse. You know that Brego or whoever is never going to turn round and say he doesn't like you! They're never rude, (at leat not in words ) they always listen to anything you have to say and they don't talk behind your back. Certainly some of my best friends are horses, especially a mare belonging to my sister who I trained from a 5 year old to a National level horse. :heart: :love:

Shadowfax_Pip- I've fallen off more times than I can count, but then I used to ride Beano. A bit like Stybba but with the best buck I've ever known. You'd have loved him, he was a grey welsh mountain pony, also one of my friends because of all the time we spent together. I've been riding for about the same amount of time as you, but only had my own horse for nearly three years.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 08:49
Horses are good firends to have around Rebecca! Im getting a Quater Horse mare that I've ridden for awhile and we get along pretty well.:love:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2007 09:07
ah yes, the horses. I love horses very much. Brego would be my all time favorite LotR horse, and when I get my own horse I plan to name him Brego.

My other favorite would be Arod and Hasufel...they are great. And of course, who doesn't love cute Bill?:love:
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Arlea
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 06:19
I love Shadowfax. I wish I had a horse like that.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email