Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
Post RE: for horse-lovers
on: June 25, 2007 07:30
I'm working on getting my Arab filly to be as well-trained as Shadowfax was...which isn't very hard because she's VERY smart and loves people! :love: The difference is in color. She's a bay roan with two white socks on her hind feet and a large star on her forehead.
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf
News Admin & Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 08:58
I am so glad, too, that you brought this topic up...people hear me gush, "Oh my gosh he is soooooo cute, look at his lovely eyes" and they're like, "oh, your talking about Orlando Bloom?" and I'm like "No! The horses of course!". They are all awsome...I think Arod and Shadowfax have to be my favs because Arod is Legolas' :love: (Yes I do talk about him [legolas] a lot to--lol) horse and Shadowfax is just so darn gorgeous :heart:
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 09:33
Speaking of horses... my mare is due to foal in about a week!!! I'm so excited...name ideas are welcome of course! It's probably going to be a grey, 'cause its daddy's a gorgeous grey Arabian. If it's bay I want to name it Brego. :love:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 10:16
oh yes! I want to get a bay horse and name him Brego so bad!
I know a neat name for a horse, Mallos, which is Sindarin for golden flower.

Or another name could be Trevadir, which means traveller in sindarin.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 07:44
COLLETTA HAD HER FOAL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I'm so excited!! It's a light chestnut filly, with the tiniest bit of white on its forehead and pale beige legs. She's so tiny and soft (Colletta let me touch her a few times) and...and...I'm so happy!! :love::love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 10:57
Congratulations to Colletta, Shadowfax The foal sounds so pretty.

Her colouring sounds like light. Does Eärendil appeal. I know Eärendil was male, but it is still a pretty name. Just a suggestion.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 09:51
oh wow Shadowfax...have you named her yet? Make sure to tell us what you name her! She sounds adorable.

A girl at my barn has a horse named Tiz and she will be having a foal soon. I can't wait to see the foal, even if it's not my horse.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2007 04:07
I love horses! How about naming the foal Elwing? That's a cool name for a horse.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 16, 2007 09:46
All great ideas, guys and gals!!

I've tossed out Symblemyne (spelling??), Shalom, Spitfire, and Shiska ('little ' in Yiddish) for the others to contemplate, along with Alchemy...Mom and my older bro aren't too fond of LotR names so I have to be very sublte, like with the Symblemyne name. Oh well....Oh, she is coming up to us already!! And she's only three days old!! She has a sweet spot on her neck and down the middle of her back that she loves to have scratched. It's so cute :love:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2007 03:25
oh that would be a lovely name for her! I like all the names really, I acutally really like Alchemy.

But whatever you like, she's yours after all.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2007 05:05
Your foal sounds adorable! I used to know a foal named Radar, he was one of the cutest horses!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 18, 2007 09:46
Threw a bunch of names at my mom and brother, and as they could not decide I named her Shiska. it means 'little ' in Yiddish (or some language like that). She's been walking up to me for pets and scratches for the past few days, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before haltering her as she needs to grow into it...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2007 07:40
awww, thats a cute name Shadowfax. I like it.

You'll have to show pictures of her when you can.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 20, 2007 11:21
Erm, spoke too quickly. My older bro wants to name her Shalom (peace in Hebrew) and Mom wants to name her Babycakes. What person names a horse babycakes????
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2007 01:56
hmmmm....I don't think Babycakes is a name for a horse...sounds sort of odd.

I sort of like Shalom..but I don't know. I like the name you chose earlier.

Oh dear, that foal will be very confused about her name.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 09:11
No kidding. I'm giving up on naming this baby because Mom named her AGAIN!!!! She did call her Baby-cakes (but i call her baby). When she gets older we'll shorten it to Babe. My great-grandpa's favorite horse was named Babe, so for nostalgia's sake I went along with it. oh well...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 09:54
oh well, it's not a terrible name Shadowfax_Pip

You will have to get a picture of her eventually and put it in this thread. I'm dying to see how cute she is.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: July 30, 2007 09:59
I've been trying, but the stupid camera is not cooperating!!! Neither are any of the computors on which I've tried to upload them on--ARGH!!!!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2007 10:55
oh dear...well I understand your pain. Just take your time shadowfax.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: August 11, 2007 05:30
*pant pant*

Okay, I'm better now.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2008 05:44
Hey y'all!
You would not belive how happy I was when I saw this thread. I have been riding for about three years, and have fallen off multiple times. I have always wanted a black horse with white stockings, and an arabian. You gotta love 'em.
I love eomer's horse, and I love Eomer too. anyways, I have always wanted to name a horse after one from LOTR. One day, when I own one (hopefully). I would like to see a picture of your foal, Shadowfax, I love little baby horses, they are sooooo cute!!!!!!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 03:24
YAY
love this post :love:
my favourite horses are Shadowfax, Brego, Stybba and Faramirs horse which i don't know what's called.
I really like Shadowfax's head! I've never seen anything like it, it's so beautiful.
I also like the grey horse you see for a couple of seconds when pippin is singing, and the gondor soliders are riding to take back Osgiliath. :love: anyone know which one i'm talking about??
horsey_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2008 01:24
oh i just love all the horses and all the scenes where the horses are in it...horsey scenes are some of the most emotional...ive been riding since i was 6 [im 15 now] but twas kinda on-and-off. im sooo desperate for my own horse!!! what i would loooove to do is to just gallop across the plains like they do in lotr it would be the ultimate fulfillment!!!
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: for horse-lovers
on: May 08, 2012 03:59
Not forgetting Snowmane the horse of Theoden and the ponies belonging to Tom Bombadil. My favourite would have to be Bill the Pony, Fatty Lumpkin may have kept watch over Bill as he eventually found his way back to the Shire on his own.
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2012 05:39
I must admit that although I'm a very horsey person who spends almost all free time at the barn and has done so for almost 20 years now, I haven't given them much thought. But maybe that's because there was just this vast mass of horses and I cannot think of one that truly stands put - other than Shadowfax, that is, and he is just so not the type of horse I go for. Coming from a show jumping background to me an interesting horse is tall, slender, bay and has a good dash of thoroughbred in it. *prejudice off*
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2012 03:59
When i was 6 (also when i started riding) i became fascinated by all the horses in the movie. Now when ever shadowfax comes galloping up the hill my whole family look at me for some sort of childish reaction. :S When i read the book, I was delighted to find so many more horses and ponies and that tolkien payed so much detail to each horse! I jumped with excitment when the Dunedain bring Aragorn's horse, Roheryn. The markings on Windfola (eowyn's horse in the film) are beautiful!
Gil-Luin
Council Member
Send Message
Love Firefoot, Eomer's horse in TTT and TROTK!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my. Brego, Arod, Shadowfax, Bill...all of them!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
me as well! I havent ridden since I was five years old, and I would love to get back in the saddle!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Maltaquesse Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Ahhhhhh I love the horses! Arid is my favorite because he's Legolas's, but they are all so amazing...
Brego (Aragorn's), Haslufel (Aragorn's), Shadowfax (Gandalf's), Stybba (Merry's), Bill (Sam's), Asfolath (Arwen/Glorfindel's), Firefoot (Eomer's), and Windafola (Eowyn's)! Yaaaaaaay!

I have a paint named Pete but I call him Rocco (horse) as a nickname! And I have a friend with a paint foal named Fig that I call Mel (love).
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, there any room for another horse-lover here? 'Cause if so, count me in!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Huddy and welcome to the CoE! Of course there is room for you here. Also, I think in the forums, under Facts About Us, there is another horse thread but I am not sure how far back you have to look.

Did you know that Viggo Mortenson bought the horses he rode in LotR? He also bought the horse that Arwen rode and gave it to her stunt double just because the girl loved the horse so much? And I am not sure about this, but I think that horse recently died.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm also a horse lover. Yes Lindarielwen, I heard that too. Very interesting (and sweet).
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ Lindarielwen: what I remember is that the horse portraying Shadowfax died recently - I also have vague memories of there being two of them, so my guess is that the one in most of the scenes is meant, not the "understudy". Juat checked out CoE Home, click twice on "Older Posts", and you will find the link "RIP Shadowfax", meaning Blanco.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Viggo also bought the main horse that was used in Hidalgo.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email