Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Book of 5 Rings OOC Forum
on: March 25, 2004 05:24
Hello, everyone, for OOC discussions and comments, please post here.

[Edited on 30/4/2004 by alcarinque]
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Book of 5 Rings OOC Forum
on: March 25, 2004 07:06
The following are the screen sent to ring bearers previously.
Screen Notes: 3-24-04

Note: This is a long message, especially since it’s the first one, so please bear with me...-_-

Hello, everyone, and once again, thanks so much for replying. I apologize for the delay; I had an intense violin solo competition and I was in bed with a fever and a headache afterwards. Anyway, I’m up and about now, ^-^ and we need to get the thread rolling! I really have to say I think everyone rose to the gauntlet really well, considering that I had doubts as to whether 4 other people besides myself would like the story...much less all in 24 hours after the post! So yet again, I just have to say thank you. *jumps up and down singing “A Bicycle Built for Two*
So now that I have expressed my gratitude (gratzi, everyone, still gratzi!), here is the finalized list of Bearers...I had to tweak a few things here and there, but I hope everyone is happy.

Aurum: anduril269 – Rowan: Male. Tall, with reddish-brown hair and hazel eyes. Dresses in dark grey trousers/breeches/leg wear, with red-edged dark brown tunic. Owns a chestnut horse. Prefers the sword. Does not specify as to race.

Argentum: Elrin – Elvereth Leralonde: Female. Of the elvish race. Has a great love of animals and nature. Uses a bow and two daggers to fight.

Selenium: ladyofthewood234 – Sulien: Female. A sea-elf. Uses a spear, and also a shortbow (?).

Yttrium: CityofAngel – Caladion: Male. A Prince of Mirkwood. Weapon is the bow.

The Nameless Ring: alcarinque – Alcarinque Valtar: Female. Of the elvish race. Raven-haired and tan, relatively tall. Indirectly has the power to shapeshift through sworn servant Arcuied (See character Arcuied in database). Keeps a dormant sword buried in her arm, which comes to life at her will through her palm.

Just to let everyone know, don’t be afraid to give your character any magical powers, as long as they are reasonable and realistic enough to fit in the story. (I’m stressing this a lot! NO INVINCIBLE CAHRACTERS, please, I beg of you...) RPs are there for us to get away from the sadistic reality, so enjoy it! ^-^

A few things with the thread that were a bit vague, please excuse me, this thread takes place just after the Fellowship of the Ring has been broken up. Also, we have come to the stone circle with the rings, which we have for some reason that we all have individual liberty to explain. We’ve brought them to the stone circle to empower it after many years of misuse and to create within it our “headquarters”. (Muahaha! Yess, bosss, I gottya!)

After that, the story is pretty much up to us as a group. If you have ideas, feel free to draw it into the thread or pm some other bearer for their advice if you want any. I personally don’t mind where the story leads, as long as there’s actually some action, not the kind of “hand in hand, they trotted off into the sunset” type thing. WHICH LEADS ME TO! Please, you guys, I’m just the moderator, and one who happens to have a lot of time on my hands. I’m not the all powerful or all mighty or the dictator or something. (Though I’d love to be...) You don’t have to recieve my permission, or get accepted by me or anything. Just “go with the flow”. (Sorry, that’s a kind of gag line at my school.)

So, that’s pretty much all I have right now, I think this could pretty much be our forum... if you have anything you want the gang to know, whether it’s an idea, or your cat died, or it’s your b-day, just keep adding on to the latest installment. Now, let us all “meet” at the stone circle (which we need a name for, by the way) and get us going down the thread!

alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 08:52
This is to notify everyone that we will be having a new character join our thread as a ringless character. The character will be um...operated, shall we say, by Leighlia, who is an RP veteran of 7 years (wow) and is a dedicated player. Her character will be Zie, who is in the character database.
here are the character infos retrieved from the database to save everyone time....

Rowan: Gender: male
Powers: He is the bearer of the Ring of Fire: Aurum
Weapons: Straight sword, and a smaller curved sword of intricate patterning.
Animals: Chestnut horse

Appearance: Tall, with dark hair, which flashes red in the light. He has deep firery hazel eyes, and sharp features. He dresses in black legwear, and dark brown tunic with red edging around the cuffs, and the collar.

Personality: Sometimes silent and solemn, but he has a more fierce side. He has a sharp temper, and can anger at many things. He keeps under control most of the time.

Alcarinque: Gender: female
Race: elven
Height: 5'8
Place of Residence: Rivendell (Imladris)
Powers: Sword magic
Animals: (1) cat

Appearance: Black hair, gold eyes

Personality: strong-willed, but quiet.

History: Indirectly has the power to shapeshift through sworn servant Arcuied (See character Arcuied). Keeps a dormant sword buried in her arm, which comes to life at her will through her palm. (This is a similar characteristic of a character in X/1999.)

Arcuied: Gender: other
Race: ?
Place of Residence: Rivendell
History: Arcuied (Ar-kwayd): An unknown being who takes the form of a cat. Keeps a freely sworn oath to serve Alcarinque, lady of the elves. Has the power to shift shapes, and has the ability to host Alcarinque’s soul. Does not speak, but has a voice while Alcarinque takes it’s shape. Communicates directly to Alcarinque’s mind. A priceless ally in Alcarinque’s quest in The Book of 5 Rings.

Caladion: Gender: male
Race: Elf
Height: 6 feet, 4 inches
Place of Residence: none
Family: son of Thranduil, half-brother of Legolas
Powers: exceptionally enhanced senses, affinity with his animals
Weapons: bow, Elvish blades, throwing knives
Animals: Berenon, a white stallion, and Tirith, a trained falcon

Appearance: With long golden hair, eyes as bright as the morning sky, and a face fair "beyond measures of men", he bears a startling resemblance to the younger brother he never knew. Tall and of a lean but muscular build, Caladion seems to have been made for the hard life of a wanderer. His complexion is noticeably darker than what is common for his kin, tanned by the sun's rays. His hands are rough from hard work with the bow and blades.

His clothes are simple--a dark blue tunic worn over a grey shirt and dark breeches, matched with sturdy leather boots, belt and arm guards. Perpetually strapped to his back are his quiver, bow, and two black-handled knives, considered his most prized possessions.

Personality: Living a nomadic lifestyle for most of his years has turned Caladion into a strong-willed free spirit. He goes wherever his feet lead him, fearless of the dangers due to his thirst for adventure. His many years of travels have taken him to nearly all the lands of Middle-earth, and developed in him a razor sharp mind and reflexes. He has gained much knowledge of the lands as well as skills such as hunting, tracking, and combat.

In spite of his life often lived in solitude and utter simplicty, Caladion is quick to form friendships with people of all kinds, due to his sincerity and kind heart. His noble blood cannot even be concealed in his mannerisms, for he shows utmost grace and courtesy in everthing he does. His drawbacks, however, include his impossible stubborness, difficulty in trusting people, and an occasionally frightening temper.

History: Over a thousand years before the birth of Legolas Greenleaf, Thranduil King of Mirkwood was married to an elf-lady named Tinarien. She was only a few months pregnant with her firstborn when she was abducted by sworn enemies of her husband, who took her far out of the reaches of the Woodland Realm. The bandits' plan of holding the Queen and her baby for ransom failed however, when one of the conspirators turned against the group and helped Tinarien to escape. In the chase that occured, the maiden got into an accident that she survived, but caused her to lose her memory.

Tinarien was taken in by elves residing in Rhudaur, where she gave birth to her son Caladion and then later on re-married. She never remembered the truth of her identity again, so neither did her son ever know of his royal lineage. For his part, King Thranduil spent over a century in fruitless search of his beloved wife, but never found her. It was many years before he was able to ovecome the tragedy and marry again, this time to Legolas' mother.

Caladion's foster father died in an orc attack when he was barely over two centuries, and his mother succumbed to grief and soon followed. It was after the loss of his family that Caladion began to wander Middle-earth on his own, making friends in every place he passed but never tying himself down to any.

He roams the land involving himself in the businesses of the friends he meets, dedicating himself to righting wrongs and furthering the causes of good, like a lone ranger seeking for a purpose but not quite finding it. He does not realize that it is not purpose, but true identity that he seeks...

Elvereth: Gender: female
Race: Elf
Height: 6'0
Family: Two sisters, Gliriel and Erebwen
Powers: none
Weapons: Bow
Animals: Idhren the Barred Owl, a brown wolf Gwaedh

Appearance: Long golden blonde hair and green eyes. When wandering she usually wears forest green pants and shirt with light, brown boots. She also wears large brown leather gloves. Her bow and arrows are carried on her back.
When at home, she usually dresses in robes of different colors.
Idhren: Whitish-grey with blackish stripes on it's breast. Yellow beak, mostly covered with feathers, and large brown eyes.

Personality: Elvereth is quiet and a sort of loner. She wanders around, prefering the company of the trees and animals. Always polite and rarely, if ever shows anger. Elvereth is not leader material and prefers to follow a leader if need be. She is terribly shy when meeting people, but once she get's to nobody she warms up and becomes a loyal and true friend.

History: Elvereth is the middle child of 3. As such she was usually left to herself. Met and befriended a young Barred Owl. She's wandering about to see Middle Earth before she travels to Valinor with her family. Lamedawar is her father and her mother is Glasswen

Sulien: No information

Zie: Gender: female
Race: Unknown
Height: 6 foot
Place of Residence: The wilds and sometimes mountains of Middle Earth
Weapons: 2-double sided swords, light weight; sword breaker; dagger; throwing stars; bow & arrows
Animals: Horse - Thran

Appearance: Tall and thin, with a lythe strong body built as one of the elves but she would never admit if she was one or not.

Striking to look at at first, her deep brown eyes are sharp as a hawks and though are not cold, lack much warmth and tell of more experiences and years than what she looks.

Her skin is fair, baring only a little coloring from long years out of doors. On her left cheek horizontally starting at her ear is a thick dimpled scar, but it is only about 2 inches long and does not diminish her appearance. Long straight hair that is a deep rich brown in color but is mostly covered by an ever present scarf tied around her head in gypsy fashion, that covers at least half of her ears.

The scarf is a dull brown that looks like it was once maroon with some signs of a black and gold pattern worked into the cloth. If it were ever off it would be seen to closely resemble the helmet veil of the Easterling armies, but she hardly ever takes it off for the pattern to be seen. Her clothing is generally dark or earthy colors of brown and greens so as to blend with her surroundings. Pants are of the eastern design, full legs that poof out over the tops of her boots and offer a full range of motion in their loosness. Over any shirt she typically wears a sleeveless black leather vest/tunic that is open in the front but is long enough to reach her knees. It is split on the sides and back for riding.

Personality: As a wilds ranger she is serious, quiet and observant. Able to move as silently as a breath of wind through your hair and not leave a trail to tell of her passing. She usually does not speak unless she has something to say that is worth hearing. But, in the right surroundings it is possible to get her to smile (a little bit). If there is something to be done she is not one to mince words or be concerned about the feelings of others. She will state what is on her mind. Often she comes across as brusk and abrasive when you first know her.

History: Zie was found as a newborn in the hands of her dead mother. She was raised in the lands far south of Mordor in the Sun-Lands. To hide her origins her newly found parents removed the top portions of her ears. She does not know who her real parents were or where they were from. Though some she has met have tried to persuade her of her origins she has never persued it.

It wasn't until she was grown that she learned that her mother, father and all 7 of her brothers weren't her birth family. During a time of war she followed her last remaining brothers into battle. She could not be the subserviant girl child and wife-to-be any longer. Her pride would not let her watch her the last of her family walk away from her, leaving her alone in the world, when they likely would not return. After watching them die on the fields of battle, she vowed never to return home. For a woman to participate in war was a crime and she could not return as it was.

Her travels took her into the lands of Middle Earth and she has wandered the wilds and mountain ranges as a ranger for longer than she will admit to. She is private and keeps her personal secrets close. On average she does not travel into cities or towns unless there is a real need (supplies, information, etc.) Though she can often be glimpsed amongst the people of Edoras.

This is pretty much it.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 11:39
I feel so inexperienced now! by the way, I only wrote Rowan's profile today, and it's a bit rushed. I might be altering it as we go along the rp. (he's a completely new character)
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 03:18
Please remember, guys...there is a rule in force in this forum about posting character profiles. A little bit is fine, but whopping great ones are best left in the RPG Character Database. If you want to save everyone time, just post a quickie link in your post to the entry in the database. Thanks!
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 02:21
I offer forth the beginnings of the conflict sought by those of the circle, but I cannot provide all of it and will require help from the rest in its formation.

Spoiler: Zie will be the unwilling “wolf in sheeps clothing” for a time, until and if the events change for her to reveal more. So please do not unwittingly kill her early!

Also, for the sake of this thread I am adding in an animal for my character, but not adding to my profile. Fallon, a golden eagle. He is not of the great eagles of Middle Earth, but more the size and likeness of the native american golden eagle. Thanks!
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 01:15
Hi Leighlia! I've read your post in the thread itself, and I just wanted to make this clear--are you going to be the antagonist in this story? Are we the good guys and you're trying to stop us or something?

Sorry if I'm getting it wrong. That's just what I got from what you wrote..
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 04:48
Excellent question actually and the answer would be yes, and no. I hate to develop too much too soon or give away spoilers, but I was up until 2am thinking this over. Suffice to say that Zie will be the unwilling antagonist for now, though she will not necessarily appear to be such. Your characters may be wary of her for several reasons. First, she is in the vacinity but not there to claim a ring, secondly, she is dressed as and speaks with the accents of an Easterling or, more aptly, a far southeroner. She was actually raised in the lands that are south of Far Harad. But unless they are mind readers she is unlikely to show antagonistic tendencies for awhile.

As I said I'm just wanting to give a start to the antagonism is all. At this point her task is to learn more of all of you and find if there is a way to get/usher/herd/or whatever all of you (or your rings) to somewhere and someone who knows of them and when they are at full strength desires to hold all of them for himself. For the rings of the elements could be used as a tool to reshape all of Middle-Earth to one's liking, if one person weilded them all. Naturally, possession of all 5 would be a dangerous thing in and of itself, but you can't tell that to a greedy mind. The small brand she bares on her chest should act as some kind of clue to this villans identity but as to other details, I don't have them yet and will rely on everyone elses input so that I don't take over the course of the RP. Everyone let me know if this direction is unacceptable. Otherwise I will delete or restructure my post as appropriate.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 09:21
hello, sorry I couldn't post over the weekend, hopefully this really long post will make up for it. Also, I'm going to update the character info for Alcarinque and Arcuied. I like where the story is going personally, but it'd be kinda stupid of us if we didn't know we were being followed, so we'll know we're being followed but not by whom, what, or with what motives....
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 05:16
(Just a couple of questions....first, i thought I read in the notes somewhere as to whether this thread takes place before or after the war of the ring, but I can't find it again to verify it. You think I would be able to, there aren't that many...but i may be suffering from blindness today. Second, The thread states that this is in the North, but was that more toward the Grey mountains or more toward the west, like Ered Luin? The only reason I ask is so that I know how far to make Fallon fly....all the way to the Brown lands or mearly to Carn Dum...or what. I'm just making this up on the fly but I need some references. I don't want to change anyone elses viewpoints. I'd rather stay on the same page as everyone else since i came in last and I hate causing confusion. Just general thoughts, not pinpoint specific are needed...Thanks for your itme and patience.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 05:40
The thread takes place just after the War of the Ring, and the location of the circle is more toward the mountains, but exact locations are iffy, since it probably changes every now and then.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 12:37
By the way, should we get nominated for the RPG award??
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 05:53
how do we get nominated? I think we should!
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:22
I'm not exactly sure, but I read something about it in the main roleplay page about "Best RPG's posted here!" or something. By the way, go us! We're one more post from getting the second page of our thread!
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:20
Check this out. It has everything you need.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 12:39
Have we lost anduril and lotw234? ..i_i.. I hope not…anyway, do you guys have any ideas as to what we should do after we get to Rivendell and hear the news, and hide, etc.?
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 08:35
Hello....?? :cry:Isn't anybody there...? Am I going to have to get new recruits???
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 07:32
I'm here! I'm here! Don't take me out please! Just have to get my bearing because I'm still so busy! :dizzy: I'll post as soon as I can...just don't take out Caladion! :love:
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 07:02
I forgot to include in my rather long post one semi important detail. I guess I was having too much fun with it. When Zie talks her voice is distinctive in that she had a thick and defined accent of her Southern upbringing with rolling R's and rounded vowels. So her voice sounds naturally harsh and abrasive, her accent seeming to make her voice sound somewhat deeper than a womans ordinarily would be. Anyway, I don't want to make it complicated so I edited my post in a couple of places, just a few words, and I made them italics for quick review, incase those who have posted after me wants to make any changes....sorry about the inconvienence if any.
THanks
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 09:44
Wow, everyone came back! ^-^ except for anduril...T-T I'm going to type up an post tomorrow, hopefully.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 05:41
Hey, starting tomorrow, I won't be able to post until next next Monday due to Spring Break. >-< While I'm gone, feel free to go ahead, but please drag Alcarinque with you...-_- I just hope this thread doesn't get all ancient and dilapidated when I get back...
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 12:26
I'm not going to be able to post over the weekend either, so I'm posting again sooner than I would otherwise, but I wanted to get a little naughtyness in while I could. I'm getting long winded I know and I will try to curb my enthusiasm a bit. :love:
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 01:34
I'm back (sorry)
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 08:34
Hello, again, I'm back. Thanks so much everyone, I was surprised how far along we got. Leighlia, your posts are really great...^-^ I have to admit I think we would have fallen apart without your intrigue...and thanks anduril, elrin, and City!
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 11:57
hi...did everyone zone out again...?
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 03:42
I’m sorry my most recent post is so terribly long, but I could not seem to find any other way to work around being found by Alcarinque, and I worked on it until 2am. I humbly beg forgiveness from those its length may irritate. I can’t help my attention to detail and I may edit it for length later. For those that don’t mind….I’m having such a blast, thanks for letting me join this thread.

[Edited on 21/4/2004 by Leighlia]
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 09:27
Cool, now if everyone else could get back, we might get out of Rivendell...? Or should I just leave alone?
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 05:57
Just a pre-warning. If caught up to it is likely that Zie will attempt to break your circle by planting seeds of mistrust and doubt among you. It will be up to you and your characters if you will listen. That is, if the story lines lead you to catch up to her. :evil:
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 12:05
Hum dee dum...so i've put up a journal post for recruiting new characters (NOT to replace ones we already have) but just to make the thread a bit more interesting. I don't know if anyone will be interested, but if anyone is, I'll let you know as soon as I find out.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 03:01
Where is this journal entry? I can't seem to find it.

And by the way...where'd did everyone else go?

Never mind, I found the journal entry. Alcarinque, I thought it was rather buried and hard to find...so I copied it and made a few slight changes and added it to the Middle Earth Advertiser with links to the thread and OOC. I thought it would give it additional exposure if no one knows what or where the Journals are. I sure didn't and had to really hunt for them. I hope you don't mind that I did this, but if you do, let me know and I'll be happy to delete it or edit it as you see fit.

The link to the Adversiter page for all to see is:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=2034&page=8

[Edited on 27/4/2004 by Leighlia]
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 09:14
If you are reading this post please note that the phrase “you guys” excludes Leighlia. So, YOU GUYS! Where are you?? I understand the thread is kind of deadbeat where you are concerned, but that’s because you guys don’t introduce any new material! I mean, it’d be kind of a stupid storyline if 1 person out of 5 went to go defeat the big bad evil while the other 4 lounged in Rivendell or wherever. I’m just getting really frustrated with you guy’s lack of interest and direction! If it’s because you just aren’t interested anymore and are posting sporadically to alleviate guilt, it’d be a lot better to exit the story gracefully somehow and leave your ring in somebody else’s hands. I don’t have that much computer time myself, and I can’t be posting every day to make up for everyone else. So it’s important we have at least 1 person posting every one or two days to keep the story going at a good pace instead of having 1 chunk going really fast paced and the rest stuck in mud. I hope you guys kind of get a wake up call from this…pretty much Leighlia being the only one introducing new material and me countering it isn’t making for a very interesting thread.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 10:16
I'm so sorry Alcarinque! I should put more effort into this thread, it deserves it. I'm feeling really guilty now, I've posted, now trying to catch up. I'm going to put more into the rp from now on!
I, anduril269, promise to try my hardest to make this rp the most interesting I can possibly make it by providing posts regulary and by making them worthwhile and useful to the plot.
signed,
-anduril269

okay, I did go a bit over-the-top with that.. but now if I do anything wrong... you can sue me or something!
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 01:11
(reaches over and pets Anduril)
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 06:25
Alcarnique…any action in the recruitment?
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 08:37
No, it's not going at all...in fact, I haven't even posted for it...or have I? well, I have now. I'll post in Bo5R in a few hours.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email