Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Celtic Music
on: April 05, 2004 11:42
Does anyone here like Celtic Music? I am completely in love with it.:heart::love:

If you do like Celtic music, who are your favorite atrists or groups? I love Lunasa, Loreena Mckennitt, and Poozies (yes, their name is Poozies! Isn't that a cool name?!?!).

Blessed Be,
Vanya:heart:
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Celtic Music
on: April 05, 2004 02:24
I love Celtic music -- especially Scottish. The more bagpipes, the better! My favs bands are Deanta, Altan and The Tannahill Weavers. Saw the Tannies play at a local Celtic Festival and they were so awesome! I love to watch Celtic dancing, too. Just something about the sound of pipes makes you want to kick up your heels!

[Edited on 6/4/2004 by truegirl]
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 03:13
I just had to mention I Irish Step Dance. Also, I recently studied Celtic music. (random fact- you can make pretty good Celtic music playing straws)
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 03:31
Wow, tuttleturtle, I have always wanted to learn irish step dancing!
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 03:52
I think this is my 4th year in it. What's really wierd is whenever I hear Celtic music, I hear the beat to dance to. Its a weird feeling
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 12:06
I also love Celtic music, Loreena McKennitt, Clannad, The Battlefield Band. I really love the pipes as well, and I am so happy (and somewhat boastful) that my son is a piper. Its good to hear him practicing on his chanter, but I really enjoy it when he gets up the back on his pipes and lets loose for the whole town to hear. He plays with a local Caledonian pipe band, though he is currently taking some time off from the band to concentrate on his senior year of High school.
I suppose its an advantage to marrying a scot when your an Aussie, if you enjoy the sounds of the pipes and celtic music.

Live and love
Wulf.
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 05:21
Another fan of Celtic music here. Although I dont have a great knowledge of artists. I do have one album at the moment - Barrachash, The modern myth of Celtic voices. It has various singers on it, I absolutley love it :love: I have other albums with some celtic music on, but I really do need to add to my collection!
Nedieth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 03:14
I like celtic music too - so soft and nature-like. I have a CD called the Celtic Circle with a lot of different artists on and also some film music from FotR. Funny thing: a melody called "the dragon's breath" is made by David ARKENSTONE
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 03:22
I love celtic music, especially bag pipes. I wish I knew how to play them.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 03:33
I know, the bagpipes are so cool! I once saw a Scotsman in a cake shop a few towns away, complete with kilt and bagpipes. I was SO tempted to ask how long he had been playing the bagpipes, but I didn't as he was with a company of people.
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 07:55
Loreena Mckennitt i have a celtic cd that has her on it very good!!

I like celtic music too - so soft and nature-like. I have a CD called the Celtic Circle with a lot of different artists on and also some film music from FotR. Funny thing: a melody called "the dragon's breath" is made by David ARKENSTONE

OH MY GOODNESS I have the exact same cd!!! Isnt it awesome!!! I love number 11 on first disk
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 05:23
Speaking off Pipers in kilts, "What is worn under a Scotsmans kilt? Nothing, it is all in perfect working order!"

Alittle bit of scottish humour from my sons pipe band.

Live and love
Wulf.

B_Baggins111
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 06:40
I don't know any names but I enjoy abit of celtic music.....some songs remind me of the Shire
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 07:00
I don't know any names but I enjoy abit of celtic music.....some songs remind me of the Shire

me too
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 12:36
I like Celtic music too, especially Clannad, Runrig, Loreena McKennitt. I like pipes too, especially on songs like Scotland the Brave and Amazing Grace.
Precious!
Harmatan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 05:47
I just love celtic music. I saw The Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames on video and they are part of my favorite movies. If you like celtic music and dance, you have to see these movies. I also love Riverdance and all other types of celtic music.
crystaltear
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2004 07:25
I can't believe it. I didn't know there were many other celtic music fans out there. I love Loreena McKennitt, especially her song The Highwayman. Gosh her CD's are awesome. I love the songs with the violin in them, it's my favorite instrument
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 09:45
Crystaltear- I can totally relate. I have memorized The Highwayman, and I completely adore her album Parallel Dreams.
Mánaskin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 09:53
I have never heard Celtic music but it sounds intresting, i would like to hear it though
crystaltear
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 04:37
Seriously Vanya, you've memorized The Highwayman, that is like really long, i wish i had the time and desire to do so. I'ld love to sing to that song. I would be singing to it like all day hehehe.
Parallel Dreams? I haven't seen that one yet. I'll have to look for it the next time i go to Borders after work. I just love her music.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 04:59
Yea, I have memorized The Higwayman, although I need to have heard the song beforehand to be able to recite it, and I frequently forget to put in the verses she left out whilst reciting.
Parallel Dreams was put out in 1985, so maybe it is out of print now. But it is very good, and you can still order it online some places if you can't get it at Borders.
crystaltear
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 10:49
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it
Shastia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 12:26
Clannad and Eden's Bridge. Beautiful.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2004 06:20
celtic music is so soothing to me. im also part irish and scottish. lol. and cherokee. (im serious.) my mom loves to listen to celtic music.
Allysian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 04:23
I can really get into this discussion! Some of my favorite bands are Altan,the Chieftans(I can't believe no one has mentioned them!),Deanta,Sileas,Clannad,Loreena McKennit,Dougie McLean,Dick Gaughan,and Niamh Parsons.We also have a good local group here called The Ten Penny Bit.
I have a bohran and am pretty good at it but haven't found a group that needs a bohdran player yet!Oh well,the time will come.
I am learning Scottish Country Dancing which is sort of the origin of square dancing.That's alot of fun!
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 06:48
Yay! Someone else mentioned Déanta! Mary Dillon has the sweetest, most hauntingly beautiful voice ever! "Culloden's Harvest" nearly makes me cry...it's just so achingly pretty. Darn...wonder whatever happened to them?...
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 01:05
i listen to any and all Celtic music. in fact i am Celtic! i practice the Celtic religion yes i do. *takes a bow* thank you thank you, no roses, just throw money.
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 02:21
Capercaillie anyone? One of my absolute favorites.

Leahy, from Canada is absolutely awesome as well. If you like step-dancing music, you'll surely like this talented family group of 4 brothers and 4 sisters. Their music will surely make you want to dance a jig or two!

Let's see ... who else ... Ceredwen is good, especially their Or Mabinogi - Legend of the Celts album. John Whelan plays some mean Irish accordian ... I really like his Flirting With The Edge album. Then I have some great compiliation cds with various artists such as Mondo Celtic, Bravehearts, and Celtic Circle.

By the way ... someone mentioned David Arkenstone ... did you know that he has a fabulous CD called Music Inspired by Middle Earth? Definitely worth checking out, especially if you liked the LOTR movie soundtracks, as the music is quite similiar.

Ah .. and for some rocking Celtic music ... I like the Young Dubliners, especially their Red album.

I like the Corrs alot too, though their music is mostly pop-oriented, they have some good Celtic songs.

Then of course I like all the mainstream ones such as Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, and others I'm probably not remembering at the moment.

Yes indeed ... I LOVE Celtic music .
ViggoBliggo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 07:16
Celtic music is definatelly good. Clannad is very nice and Enya is one of my favourite singers. Few years ago there was a performance of Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance in my home town and...it was amazingly cool. I know a bit Irish Gaelic(very little)and Celtic culture has always been interesting to me. Ta sé go maith.......
Allysian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 04:10
I had forgotten about Ceredwen.Yes,I have Or Mabinogi and the Golden Land.What about Broceliande?They do old English and Celtic tunes.Did you know they also did an album of Tolkien's music,called The Starlit Jewel?
Shastia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 02:13
Oh, duh, Enya- she's so cool, i can't believe I forgot!!
I'm doing (hopefully) Celtic studies in uni, so I will be listening to a lot more celtic stuff.
Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 11:05
I love Irish instrumental music. I have a few CDs of it and a cassette tape. I don't know any bands or anything though.
Orion460
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 02:47
omg...Enya is amazing!!! the songs that i love are:
Only if...
Ebudae
Orinoco Flow
Lothlorien
(there are some others but i cant remember their names!)
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 05:26
For folks who live around the MD/DC/VA area there's a great Celtic Festival in Leesburg, VA on June 12 & 13. There's live Celtic music and dancing as well as lots of other fun stuff. Here's the official website:

Potomac Celtic Festival
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 05:14
i do love celtic music (Enya, Loreena McKennit, Lunasa,....)and Irish dance too...i dont dance but my Riverdance live show in NY tape is as damaged by too watchin it as my LOTR dvds are and i also love the show Ragus...i dont know if it is comin to the states but if it does anyone who calls himself/herself a lover of celtic music/dance cant miss it!!it is amazing!its all live singin playin and dancin (not pre recorded taps like sum cheesy show i saw!eughg!)
and im also really active on Riverdance message board actually!lol!its my other obsession along with LOTR i must confess!lol!
sumtimes i think Enya MUST be an elf!!!its just when i listen to her music i feel like in Rivendell u know...just great!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email