Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post RE: Celtic Music
on: June 09, 2004 03:03
You all seem to know quite a bit about Celtic music. I've just begun listening to it myself. Just bought some Celtic dance music and love it. I notice that a lot of the cds have electronic synthesizers and the like mixed in. I would like to find some traditional music without all the modern additions; original instruments only. Any suggestions?
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Allysian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 03:46
My suggestions would be Altan and the Chieftans,although the Chieftans like playing with other musicians who use non traditional instruments sometimes but they have a very traditional sound on their own pieces. You've gotta love Paddy Maloney!
LadyAlyxia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 05:00
Riverdance rocks. I've never seen the entire musical, just bits and pieces on tv. I've got the soundtrack though, and it's cool GO THE VIOLIN SOLOS!!!! (gee, wonder what instrument I play)
I also like Lunasa.
There's a group called Great Big Sea...they're Canadian but it's celtic-rock stuff. I love their music. Albums are :Turn, Rant and Rave, Sea of No Cares, and Something Beautiful.
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 05:34
I love celtic music! I'm afriad I don't know any names... but I know I love the style. There is something about it that really can help me with my emotions, it can cheer me up or slow me down depending on the song.

However at the moment I only have a couple of cds--are there any that you who know more might reccomend?

Also--I have always pronounced it Kel-tick...but I know several people who pronounce it Sel-tick. Which form is technicaly correct?
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 12:10
Mmmm, I always says 'Kel-tik'... but that might be because I'm Dutch

But I adore Celtic music! Here are some of my favorites:

Of course, first and foremost: The Chieftains! They're (for me) the best folk band in the whole world! I love them when they're all folky and tradition (like on 'Water to the Well') but I love them best when they colaborate with other artists. My favorite album is 'The Wide World Over', which contains a breathtaking version of 'Redemption Song' with Ziggy Marley. I also adore 'The Long Black Veil' (with artists like Sinéad O'Connor and Sting on the vocals, and a magnificent colaboration with Ry Cooder); and 'The Long Journey Home'.

Another great band is Shantalla: they're Scottish, and their singer is amazing. They did the best version ever of 'The Highland Widow's Lament', but they also have great songs to dance to.

I also have to say that The Corrs Unplugged is really good if you like 'updated folk'

Also, not really celtic but certainly in the folk department: Mediaeval Babes. It's a band of I believe 12 women who sing renaissance songs, and it's just awesome. I especially love 'Undrentide'.

Then, of course, there's The Dubliners: good old fashioned Irish folk to dance and to drink to.

Oh, I also really have to mention Laïs: they're a Belgian trio (three young women) who make a mix of folk and pop, but really really really good. They're an amazing band! Their best album is '12' (or 'Dorothea', depending on how you read it), it has a magnificent version of Hedningarna's 'Tina Vieri'.

Mmm... lemme see... what else is there? Well, of course things like Tri Yann (Breton band), or more modern stuff like Urban Trad and Hevia. And if you like world music as well, you should check out Oblomov or Olla Vogola, both are Belgian bands who cross folk music with Arab sounds or world musc.
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 01:45
Hard to get your hands on it, but there's a Polish band, called Open Folk. They do Irish music amazingly.

Another one, Gaelforce Dance. The music is magnificent, let alone the entire show [I've seen them live].

Clannad, another one of my personal favorites, and some of Connie Dover.

There are lots more only they either have been mentioned before [by Figgy ] or I can't name them from the top of my head. But these, these are good =)
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 10:56
Who else hasn't been mentioned?

I'm sure Altan has somewhere, but I can't see it from a really really quick scan.

And then there's people like Mary Black (ex Clannad singer) and Luka Bloom. The Saw Doctors.

And for a more modern take that mixes Celtic music in with other stuff, there's the Afro Celt Sound System - who are beyond *amazing* .....
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 11:06
Oh yes, Afro Celt Sound System!!! I love them! Have you ever seen them live, atalante? They are beyond amazing, really, the energy they create, the way they weave that magical cocoon around their audience and can get everyone to dance and jump... it's just...

And Atlan are very good too. I just listened to Kadril & Alumea yesterday, they're very good too.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 08:35
If anyone was interested, there is a very cool Celtic CD called "Celtic Mystique", composed by Howard Baer. It doesn't have real name for the artist, save the composer. But on the cover it does have a woman with bright red hair turned with her back to you, playing an irish flute.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 09:07
I've love to see Afro Celt Sound System live, but I have't managed to yet I bet its absolutely magical ....

I've seen Altan a good few times, they used to play a lot at Bangor when I was at university there.
2ndbreakfast
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 12:54
I love Celtic music! It's traditional in my, uh, celtic family. All of my favourites have been mentioned (the Chieftains and Enya and Dubliners and stuff). The Young Dubliners are like a more youthful version of the Dubliners, I believe. I also love Carbon Leaf! And Sinead O'Connor makes some celtic stuff. I dunno if anyone already named those three.
Oh! And a celtic punk band I've fallen in love with is Flogging Molly. It's not really punk, it's upbeat Celtic, they're really punk because they're on a punk label opening for punk bands. Has anybody else here ever heard of them? I have their cds and stuff. I can't be the only one!
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 04:15
u say Kel-tic when u talk about the population, the cuture, the tradition,...while u say Sel-tic when u talk about the scottish soccer team or any other sport teams (im not sure but there are sum teams called celtic in the states too...dunno i just support the scottish ones!)!!
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 01:49
2ndbreakfast wrote:
I also love Carbon Leaf!
Carbon Leaf is awesome! They're a Virginia band so they do a lot of shows relatively close to where I live. I haven't seen them live yet, but I plan to go see them when they play at the 9:30 Club in DC next month. I'm glad someone else mentioned them!

Oh, and one of my friends is a big fan of Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys. I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but what I've heard seems pretty cool. Oh, and how about The Pogues? Gotta luv "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash."
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 03:40
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I just bought my first Chieftains cd. (Water From the Well)
oh yeah! Now we're talking! Just what I was looking for.

[Edited on 22/6/2004 by LinweSingollo]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 07:21
I'm glad you're enjoying them Linwe!
Amantalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 10:03
About the pronounciation of "Celtic". For me, for some reason, it has always been one of my pet peeves when someone said "Sel-tic". Don't know why, that's just the way it has been ^_^. But as far as I know, when you are talking about the Cetlic culture etc., it is "Kel-tic" and when you are talking about the sports teams it's the "Sel-tics" *nodnod* Just like Vale_Undomiel said (yup, there's a sports team called the Celtics in the States as well).

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 04:20
On Irish music...have never heard many of the bands or groups you all have mentioned. I like cd's with Celtic music. I have a friend, also, who plays Celtic music. She plays the bohran (spelling) and many others. She even plays bones. She has a couple sets of bagpipes. She's really very good. I love Enya and did you know that Mannheim Steamroller has some Celtic music or at least music with a Celtic flavor?

Sports teams...The sports team in the states is the Boston Celtics. They play basketball and are reasonably good. Don't follow it much anymore. They are based in Massachusetts and they say it with a soft /c/ sound. Always bugged me too.
Beriedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2004 01:09
I :heart: Celtic music!!! It is awesome! I love the Chieftains! I went to their concert on St. Patty's Day! My Dad said that we were probably the only Jewish people there! Lol! I love to tap dance also! YAY CELTIC!! *Does tap dance move* :disco:<---lets just say that's tap dancing...lol!!
legolasgurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 12:24
Oh I LOVE celtic music! I got to go to Riverdance w/ a friend and I think I was In a trance the whole time! I have the CD too. All the music makes me want to do little jigs and reels! I like Natalie MacMasters and the Chieftains. I'm not up on all the groups' names and stuff. I like the old music better than the new. (and it isn't Sel-tic, it's Keltic!)
Eruantale_Eruvande_Lossem
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2004 05:14
i like celtic music! i've stolen my dad's CDs!
it's got the braveheart song on it! i luv that song! *gets the CD and puts it on*
i saw a CD of celtic music lotr related!
yeah Nyérëven it's Kel-tic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry being welsh i kinda had 2 say that also my dad talks about the celts alot of time! but i find it interesting!!!!!!!
didn't Viggo do celtic styled song in fotr wasn't based on a celtic song or sumthing!?

[Edited on 13/7/2004 by Eruantale_Eruvande_Lossem]
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2004 03:10
Also--I have always pronounced it Kel-tick...but I know several people who pronounce it Sel-tick. Which form is technicaly correct?

it's Kel-tic. only the basketball team is Sel-tic, because they're dumb and don't know how to pronounce their own name.
Eluned
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 10:06
I'd tell you all a really funny story about Richard Burton and the pronunciation Sel-tic, but this is a family site...

There's a group called Ar Log who play and sing traditiional Welsh music, though in a fairly Irish manner. They don't gig much, but I think some of their CDs are still available. If you put the words 'Sain' and 'music' in your search engine, you should find the website of a Welsh company called Sain which produces Welsh music of all sorts.

And I didn't just mention Ar Log just because I was in college with one of the members in Bangor - a long time before you, Atalante_Star, I bet!
Tnuviel7
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2004 02:22
ooooooo, Celtic music thread! I like to say my heart beats to the celtic drum... CELTIC MUSIC ROCKS! I have been choreographing a lot of Loreena McKennitt and Enya lately, I know all LM's lyrics, and most of Enya's. Gaelic is such a pretty language, as is Welsh. Wish I could find some way to learn them! o, by the way, Vanya, nice siggy! Dante's prayer...
Healer_of_Ithilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 02:38
I'm soooo disappointed that no one has mentioned Moya Brennan, Enya's sister! She's excellent! www.moyabrennan.com

AGH, I'm still going to pronounce it "Sel-tic". My dictionary says it can go either way, though I'm probably wrong, it just sounds nicer, I think.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 02:50
*looks through her CDs*

Well lets see, I have Irish Dreams & Irish Dreams II that I found at Cracker Barrel (and I have seen them at EVERY Cracker Barrel if you are interested), The Celtic Circle: two CDs with beautiful songs including LotR and Harry Potter, and Irish Christmas, pretty pretty. ^^;

Oh, btw, has anyone heard of Gaelic Storm? I'm not sure if they'd classify as true "Celtic" music, but I love them just the same!! You guys might too. I went to one of their concerts and it was awesome!!! They aren't overly well known so you get a more personal concert than most. They actually talk to you! Its sooo much fun.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 09:36
Luthien03 i know about Gaelic Storm..i have 2 of their cds...a friend from the Riverdance message board has been to some of their concerts too and she loved it and she said she got to talk to them too actually!

Tnuviel7, i am going to attend a summer course in irish language next summer in Galway (Irish West Coast but i guess you know where it is!)...its a university course but its for international students...i also know that some american uni have courses in Gaeilge (irish language) but it really depends on the uni...unfortunately here in italy i dont think we have such things thats why i have to go all the way to Galway!but thats not a problem for me, ive been to ireland 4 times before and its the best place to be...Rivendell on earth!
just i cant understand why Tolkien loved so much welsh but hated Irish language (not Ireland tho, thanks God!LoL)!i find it such an enchanted language...
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 09:04
Ooh, me too!
I like some Clannad, and then Altan, Chieftains, some Enya, Loreena McKennit, and recently I've been listening to a band called Teada. Has anyone heard of them? They're a new band from Ireland, and they played at the Calaveras Celtic Faire (which was awesome, by the way), and I liked their music. Annûniel, I like some of Gaelic Storm, though I haven't heard a lot. I'm a very picky listener.
Celtic music always makes me want to get up and start dancing! :dances: I may start taking Scottish dancing lessons, but I'm not sure.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 04:46
wow, i bought the Celtic Circle about a month ago, and i've been a fan ever sicne! it's so great! i especially like Loreena McKennitt the Mystic's Dream :love: its so beautiful and lovelu and everything. i always get chills when i hear that song
i also like braveheart's soundtrack a lot! it's so beautiful, specially the bag pipes :love: :love: the Secret Wedding is so beautiful.. and sad..
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 11:43
I love celtic music as well. When I listen to it I just feel like dancing (unless it's a lament or ballard or something) and I can't get this stupid happy grin off my face. hehehe....

Unfortunately I don't have access to tons of celtic music (or maybe I'm not loooking hard enough ) but I hope that changes soon!

StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 11:50
I saw Lúnasa in concert; they were amazing! Made me want to learn the pipes. I love Celtic music but I haven't heard a lot of groups. I also enjoy playing fiddle music!
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 06:24
Oooh! Me to!!! :wave:

I've only just gotten cd's recently. My first, I found on clearance at Cracker Barrel, so I thought,"what the heck," so I bought it. Not a bad little cd, and it gave me some much needed resting music when I was recouping after having my wisdom teeth pulled.
My favorite on this cd is called, "The Rakes of Kildare."

I just got another one called "Celtic Reverie" which blends the music with the sounds of nature. Very cool. The first song has ocean sounds, so it's almost like you're on the cost of Ireland, watching the sea gulls and waves crashing on the rocks. Awesome.
On this one, I like a song called "Ardiagh Cuan." It has some really cool vocals to it.
RaistlinMajere
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2007 06:52
I :love: celtic music, especially Irish. I'm a fan of Enya, Capercaillie, Gaelic Storm but my favourites are Dervish ! You must listen to them !
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 27, 2007 08:33
Has anyone listened to RunRig? A gaelic rock band, originally from the Isle of Skye. Their early album Recovery was a real turning point in gaelic music.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2007 09:25
Yeah, I have. Nice to see an old thread back again.

Gaelic Storm is great, as is Runrig too. I also like Seven Nations a lot. They play Celtic rock.
Precious!
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 28, 2007 08:57
I recently started listening to Celtic music, and I love it!

I love Enya, and I especially love Loreena McKennitt! She has such a strong, powerful voice. Clannad is wonderful too. :heart:

Has anyone heard of the group Celtic Woman? I don't know if you'd necessarily call them a Celtic group, but they're wonderful nevertheless. :love:love: Such clear and beautiful voices!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email