Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
Post Beta-reading requests
on: May 17, 2004 08:35
This thread is meant for authors who are looking for someone to beta-read their stories, or people to volunteer as beta-readers.

Please don't post beta-reading requests elsewhere. Also, don't post the actual stories in here.
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Beta-reading requests
on: May 19, 2004 10:53
Hello! Just to say that I'll beta-read for anyone that desires it. Just PM me!

Lindir
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 09:42
Hey, I also volunteer as a beta-reader. Just PM me with info about the story, what you want me to do, and such things.

I've got the highest grade in English, I'm a very experienced beta-reader and I always try to bring out the best of every story. I tell you what's good and what's not. It is that easy!
I like to have a discussion with the author about certain parts of the story, since I want the author to really like their own work. I never try to write parts of the fanfics, like some betas do, but I make the author content with what they've written themselves and I give suggestions to develop the fics.

I can provide spelling check, word check, small mistakes that don't fit in, but most of all I provide deeper thoughts of the happenings in the fic.

I'd be happy to beta anything; from G to NC-17, I don't mind slash or dark fics. They're actually my speciality!

[Edited on 3/10/04 by Nevthónîel]
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 08:18
I can beta-read for fan-fic authors. I'm a professional editor, but somehow my clients never seem to send me Tolkien manuscripts to work on.

I can provide commentary on story structure (plot, character development, how well beginnings and endings work, pacing, etc.) and style (tone, consistency of style). I can also do copy editing (grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.). What I can't do is to promise that I'll catch all inconsistencies between your fan fic and Tolkien's writing.

PM me, but be patient please! I don't always check in every day, and any beta reading I do has to fit around my real life.
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 01:18
i'd be happy to be a beta-reader. contact me by PM.
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 07:40
Just wondering, what is a beta-reader?
Celoniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 11:32
A beta-reader reads through a fanfic before it is posted to make sure that there are not any errors. Kind of like an editor.

By the way, I also volunteer. I am known, to many of my acquantances, as both the Grammar Police and That Girl Who Memorized the Dictionary. I also write fantasy, so I can help with the plot, language, and so on and so forth. PM me if you need anything.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2004 06:19
Hi, I was just wondering if someone would be willing to beta read a non fanfic story. I repeat: my story is not a fanfic. I haven't finished it yet, but I am willing to send the synopsis and the first few "chapters" (it's not a novel, but you know what I mean) to anyone who wants it. It's gonna be YA fiction, very "teen girlish" if you know what I mean.
I_love_legolas_and_will
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 07:35
I have fanfiction written but keep getting it rejected due to my bad spelling so i would really appriciate someonoe who could check my work, if you can, please pm me...
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 06:52
I'm willing to help beta fanfic.. I'm a good speller (almost got to National Bee-- second place at regionals!! *squee*... not to brag or anything...) and I can definitely work on technical stuff (grammar, language and word choice, structure, etc). I can, probably help. Just PM me!
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2004 01:19
Hello! i would like to be a beta reader. I am on for at least an hour every day, and the only site i go to is this one. (I go to others sometimes) I love new fanfiction, so pm me with it!
-Sarah
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 11:21
Hello, I am currently looking for a beta reader for my fanfics. I try to write a chapter a week and I am good about running it through a spell check before sending it off. I have a few fics in the fiction section here if you would like to take a look at my stuff before offering help. The stories are entitled The Lost Ones and Jewel of Mirkwood.

Right now Jewel of Mirkwood is the only one in need of a beta but I have plans to start another soon. One last thing, Jewel is nearly completed but I would like some one who is willing to help me iron out any remaining mistakes. Also I would love to have someone who is willing to help me research for my next story which will be about Nimrodel and Amroth. Thanks, DoN

[Edited on 9/9/2004 by DaughterofNimrodel]
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 12:50
I'd like to remind you, that people who volunteer as beta readers must have exellent language skills. The authors are relying on you, so don't let them down!

No, I'm not referring to anyone, who's posted here so far... I'm sure you're all doing a great job! This is just for the future.
Kalinda
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 07:13
Hey hey,
I'm looking for a beta reader. What I have written is posted over at my site - Halls of Quenta The site was originally run by two people, but my friend bailed on me 'Twilight Hour Part I' was written by her and it's in need some major editing, but I'm also looking for others to see read the rest of it. So someone give it a read and if you like it and want to be my beta-reader, send me a PM or an email
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2004 06:56
Hi, is anyone here still willing to be a beta-reader? Right now, I have a fanfic that's almost ready, just needs an ending, a little more polishing, and a good title. I'd prefer someone who could focus on the story and style.
LeggysGurl4Eva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 03:32
I volunteer to beta-read for anyone who needs it! Just PM me if you need a Beta! :heart:
SheElf33
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 05:25
If anyone is still willing to be a beta, I would really appreciate if someone would check one of my stories. If you would do this, please pm me. :love:
samantilles
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 05:35
Westu hal!
I am eager to beta-read for anyone who has a story. I'm open to anything (rating and content wise), and can suggest improvements and constructive criticism in word choices, grammar and spelling, and possibly new dimensions of stories presented. Please feel free to PM me with requests to read
Nienquia
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 10:24
Hi everyone

I'm looking for someone to beta my fanfiction. Just one minor thing: it's fantasy, but not LotR or even Tolkien based.

I'm not planning to post the story here or anywhere else on this site (because of the afore mentioned, plus it's simply too long), but I'm getting desperate. I really need some serious feedback and all sites with fanfiction related to mine are dead...

So... Please, anyone???

For a quick peek: the story is published on my website: www.kickme.to/nienquie
The title is "Dragonhunt".

Thanks!!

[Edited on 15/11/2004 by Nienquia]
samantilles
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 03:13
Nienquia,
Sent you a PM on it...
Willing to check it out, instructions in PM
moruelenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 10:49
hey ppl! anyone want a beta reader? i'm free! seriously, i'm willing to beta read for anyone who want sme to. just pm me and i'll get back to you. luv jeni xxx
Ithiliell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2004 09:24
I'd be more than happy to beta read/edit anyone's work. I'm an English lit major and I've been writing for years, so I think I'm qualified. Just PM me if you'd like.
lilpippin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 05:08
Hello everyone. I am posting here because of my friend. For her birthday I want to get her a beta-reader. She mostly does LotR poetry, but I'm trying to get her into stories. Its working a bit. Her birthday is January 7th. If anyone is interested please PM before that day. Thanks everyone.

[Edited on 1/1/2005 by lilpippin]
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 07:57
Hey all! I love writing and editing so if anyone needs a beta-reader, I'm available and will try my best to help you enhance your techniques! Also, I'm planning on majoring in creative writing in college, so I think this is a good start for me. I'll read any fanfic, not just lotr, as long as I understand that fandom, and if you are writing lotr fanfic, I assure you that I will research very hard if needed! Just PM me if you're interested! However, the one thing I WILL NOT read is slash. Sorry if anyone writes it, but I just don't agree with it. Thanks!

Antanel :love:

[Edited on 21/1/2005 by Antanel]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 07:00

Not that we have a shortage, lol, but I'd also be willing to beta a story for anyone who needs it. I love to write and read fanfictions, and I have a lot of experience in writing, both professional and personal.

Just PM me if anyone needs a beta-reader!

~Tev
EldarChild
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 02:30
Edit note: Thank-you Antanel for offering to Beta Read for me!
Old Message:
My fic is about Legolas. I set out to answer the question, 'Why isn't Legolas happy, he is after all an elf?'
The stories' tentative title is "Meadowlight"
Edit note: I'll let everyone know here when it's posted on my site and/or CoE.

[Edited on 21/1/2005 by EldarChild]
Sophia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 01:01
Hi,

I am a sort of returning newbie. I would like to offer my services as a beta and also request someone to beta my own stories. I am a massive Celeborn fan so a good 75% of my stories are about him. Knowledge of the Silmarillion would be highly valued.

As for me I will read pretty much anything.
alduya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 09:18
Hi, could someone please read just one chapter of one of my stories? It was refused because of spelling and grammar errors which I can't seem to find, so perhaps someone else will be able to.
So if anyone good do that, that would be great! You can just PM me if you can. Thanks!

[Edited on 28/1/2005 by alduya]
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2005 06:52
'ello!

Would anyone be interested in beta-ing a fantasy story I'm currently working on? It's not exactly Tolkien based, or a fanfic of any sort really, I just need some help with the little technical things, and feedback on the content. I'd appreciate it if anyone would be willing to help me out! Just PM me!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 07:18
*waves to everyone*

I need a beta-reader! Its not for a fan-fic, and though I took a lot of names from Tolkien, its not based on his works. It started out as a Final Fantasy based story, but you do not need to know anything about FF to read the story! It may be easier if you don't, actually

I'm looking for editing & critiquing of the story. Anyone who is interested, please PM me! Thank you!
Suithiell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 07:56
I'm looking for someone to beta an unfinished Haldir/OFC fic. Not so much for spelling/grammar, but for everything else. I took a Mary Sue test for my OFC, and apparently, she's got the potential to become a Mary Sue (in response to which, I wrote a short article breaking down the questions to which I answered yes, and the reasons why, which I can also send), and I'd like an outside opinion on what I have done and where it's leading.

PM me
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 09:00
Hi guys!
I can beta-read, but I'd like to do a little partnership thing with someone. I write occaisionally (whenever I have time), and I'd like to have a beta-reader. I usually write LotR stuff, but occasionally Stargate and Les Miserables, but you don't have to read those if you want. I was on the chief editors for the newspaper last year, but then I moved to high school and can't be in newspaper for two years. I've also read a lot of stories for friends/siblings/relatives and kind of beta-read them, but never with someone online, so it would be new but I hope to be good at it!
PM me.......I don't bite.

Thanks to 9digithobbit, I now have a beta-reader! If anyone wants their stuff read, feel free to PM me. I don't think 9digit will get too jealous.

[Edited on 20/5/2005 by Alya]
Twylight_Aelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 01:38
Um... I'd like a beta-reader for this one fanfiction I'm writing, because I'm worried about making my main character (who's from the real world) a Mary-Sue and I'm worried about accidently making the orcs not orkish enough (it's an orc-fic, no elves). I took the test and scored only two straight yeses (real-worlder who has a locket with a real-world family member's picture).

[Edited on 24/5/2005 by Twylight_Aelf]
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 01:03
I'll Beta read for anyone...and I might need a beta reader soon. Just PM me, thanks!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 03:19
*clears throat* I renew my request for a beta-reader! Here's what I originally wrote:

I need a beta-reader! Its not for a fan-fic, and though I took a lot of names from Tolkien, its not based on his works. It started out as a Final Fantasy based story, but you do not need to know anything about FF to read the story! It may be easier if you don't, actually

I'm looking for editing & critiquing of the story. Anyone who is interested, please PM me! Thank you!

I am more than willing to create a sort of "beta-reading" partnership with someone else! You scratch my back I'll scratch yours, as the saying goes.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email