Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
Post * To Steel Her Heart* (See OOC to join!)
on: August 14, 2004 08:05
Long before dawn’s first rays climbed the stone walls of Minas Tirith, Erëtindë was hard at work. With a swift efficiency born of familiarity, the eighteen-year-old maiden measured grain into twelve mangers. When that was done, she grabbed a pail and went into the pre-dawn twilight, making her way to the well. Twelve trips, there and back, and the errand rider’s steeds were watered.
On her way to fetch the post-horse’s saddle, Erëtindë was greeted by her young companion, a young lad named Eradan. The sand-haired boy had a brush in one hand and a pick in the other. He smiled drowsily at her. “You’re up early.” He commented, his voice still hoarse.
“There’s a lot to do.” She replied. He could hear an air of urgency and excitement in her voice. “They’re bringing in the new cavalry mounts today,” she continued. “ I wanted to see them cross the river.”
Eradan’s smile broadened knowingly. Herdsmen from Rohan were bringing twenty-five new horses to Minas Tirith that day. The would-be cavalrymen would inspect the herd and choose their mounts, and the ceremony was not without fanfare. Neither youth would miss it for the world.
As he watched, Erëtindë toted the saddle over to a lithe, fire-colored chestnut and placed it on his back. The horse snickered a greeting and Erëtindë stroked his muzzle lovingly.
“I know.” She said, addressing the horse. “It is rather early.” The gelding rested his head on the girl’s shoulder and she responded by caressing his velvety ears.
Just then, the cock crowed. The horse’s ears swiveled toward the sound, but he didn’t move. Erëtindë moved away from him. “That’s your cue,” she said matter-of-factly.
Erëtindë disappeared around a corner, headed for the tack room. The instant she was gone, the post rider strolled into the stable. With a curt nod to Eradan, he walked to his mount and hefted himself into the saddle. After securing the sack of parchments to his saddle, he kicked his mount and the gelding lunged forward, his hooves clattering on the stones as he rode out of city toward the plane.
Eradan watched them go until they were out of sight. When he turned back to work, he saw Erëtindë leaning against a doorpost, staring after them, with pursed lips.

((It’ll get better, I promise! ))
Erëtindë id in the db, but her profil's not finished.
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: * To Steel Her Heart* (See OOC to join!)
on: August 14, 2004 10:54
((Yippeeee!! Oh and Gelmir is the name of their boss, just thought I'd tell you that.))
Eradan held his gaze on his best friend’s silhouette for a moment, and then turned back to work. Erëtindë was a strange girl. She was entirely different from most girls he knew. He had never seen her flirt, giggle, scream, or shy away, things that were all to common from the other females he lived around. There were many: his mother, his little sister, all the girls on his street… they all were the same, except Erëtindë. He glanced shyly back at the doorpost, seeing that she too had gone back to work.

No, Erëtindë seems like a maid from one of them great stories, like Lúthien or Nienor.

With one last flick of the brush he wiped away the last bit of dust clouding the horse’s smoky coat. The mare turned its head and nickered softly. A faint smile brushed Eradan’s lips. How he wished he could have a horse of his own. He patted this one’s side fondly and carefully inched around it to the next stall.

With a practiced hand, Erad bent the next horse’s, a sleepy gelding, leg back so he could carefully pick away the dirt that had built up over his rides through the countryside. He thought about the ceremony coming up, closer with each passing minute. He wished he could have been born into a higher class, not for the first time. If he had been born even a middle-class boy, he could have joined the cavalry, possessed his own horse, and maybe even a proper education. He knew he wouldn’t have the guts to ride into a battle, but in his imagination anything to get him his own mount was played out in full.

He sighed once more as he moved onto the next leg. He would have to ask Gelmir to give him his pay a little in advance, again. His mum’s seamstress job wasn’t going too well. Not many customers. So that meant that again he had to be the one to pull them through.

He quickly sped through the rest of the grooming process with little or no thoughts. He was finished before he knew it and as he put away his tools, saw Erëtindë waiting for him.
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 01:09
Arnissë quickly got all of her cleaning chores done, she was in charge of two rooms in the houses of healing. She swept up the first thinking egarly about ceremony today. She would get to see her crush again! She then went to the next room and did a even worse job there, she was finding it hard to concetrate. Arnissë went to fetch her charges some water and bread her last task before she could go home and get ready.
While Arnissë was at home she quickly threw on her best dress and hurried up to the citadel to gaze for the first coming of the horses, she had hoped that Mirendë, one of her friends would meet her there before going to the ceremony. In the distance she could see what was osgiliath, she thought that it must have been a nice placed to live at one time. She then saw the calverymen getting ready to down to the ceremony and tought that she would go off to look for her father, he wasnt a calveryman but he was a guard of the citadel.when she found him he looked absolutly over joyed.
"Father, I am going off to attend the ceremony, I will be home later. Why do you look that way?"
"Nothing" he replyed, "I just got granted acces to the top tower by the high King today"
" oh thats nice?, um, anyway, bye father" said Arnissë, uterlly confused. What was teh top tower?, and why did her father have access to it?, o well she thoght, she'd find out sooner or later.
She then hurried back to the top of the Citadel, to look for the coming of the horses.
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 04:59
Mirendë glided through the citadel, peering over rows of heads, searching for her friend. She really didn't understand why Arnissë wanted to see this but she hadn't wanted to disappoint her friend so here she was. And besides that this would be the talk of the town for some days and she wouldn't want to be left out.

"Excuse me." She tried to squeeze through the crowd, weaving her way towards the front keeping her eyes roaming for Arnissë, or any of her other friends. She ignored the looks she was getting from some of the younger men in the gathering. It was known to all how beautiful she was, her perfect face and figure were the talk of most of the older women to her mother.

Suddenly she spotted Arnissë looking about also. Mirendë chided herself for being a tad late. She's probably been waiting for me here for hours. But being late didn't trouble her too much, and she hoped it didn't trouble her companion too greatly either.

"Arnissë!!" she called out, hoping to get her friend's attention through the noise.
Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 01:22

Ameon smiled nervously at Naurind and chewed on his lip. He had mixed emotions about these herding and choosing days. He liked the aplause, and the attention he got...or that the others got and he was somewhat able to share. He liked looking up at the faces, and seeing all the pretty girls looking down at him with such wonderful and diferent expresions. Of course most of the expresions weren't for him. Most were for Naurind or one of the others. No, Ameon was so small and skinny that most girls didn't take any notice of him.

"Well here we go," he said to Naurind, " Another choosing of horses. I bet your excited, so many people are wanting to meet you, because of your status and age." He looked up at Naurind, who didn't look at all excited, and instead a bit impatient. Ameon sighed, how could anybody with such a good place in the world not be excited and happy. If Ameon knew anything about anything he believed that Naurind needed a girl to spice up his life. Of couse Naurinds views of life, and Ameon's views were... quite diferent.
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 04:42
Arnissë was glad to finally be at the seremony, she would get to she the one she admirred there. She quickly pushed though the people, looking for an open spot in the front, and also for her friend.

"Mirendë, Mirendë" called Arnissë "Mirendë where are you?" She supposed she was late like usual. She tehn spoted her friend over on the other side of the ceremony.

"Excuse me" called Arnissë only about a thousend times before she was able to meet up with her friend.
"Where were you?" she piped " Have been looking for you for a long time!" Arnissë then turned her attention back to the ceremony.

"Look!" she said , "Isn't that man handsom?" she asked of Mirendë, "And the horse he is picking, he beautiful!" finished Arnissë.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 04:49
Gellam was late, as usual. But it didn't bother him. Cheerful as could be, he strode up to where Ameon and Naurind were standing and clapped them both heartily on the back. Poking his head between their shoulders, he greeted them both, "Excited?" Ameon nodded, amiably. When he recieved recieved no reply from Naurind, Gellam continued to prod him. "Oh come on, you of all people should be excited, it's your big day. I'm excited, I can tell you that, but not so much for the ceremonies as for the 'festivities' afterwards," at this, Gellam playfully nudged them with his elbows. Then, seeing Naurind's scowl, continued to pester him, "Oh, live a little, Naurind. You need to have some fun. What do you say Ameon, eh, should we make him have some fun tonight? Look at that girl there," Gellam pointed to a particularly pretty face in the crowd, "I bet she'd be glad to give you a little bit of excitement." The woman, seeing Gellam pointing at her, blushed furiously. Gellam winked pointedly at her, and turned to Ameon. "Really now, has he been like this all morning?"
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 03:13
Mirendë nodded in agreement with her friend. "Definately, on the guy, not so much on the beast. A horse can't buy you pretty flowers, or dresses, or help you support a family! There's no point in looking at them. Oh but look at that one isn't he handsome!" she squeeled.

Erad ran out the door of the stables looking over his shoulder at Erëtindë. "Come on, we're gunna be late!"

He raced through the streets not even looking back to see if she was following. He headed toward the first level wanting to get on top of the wall, where he could be closest to the action.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 04:58
Naurind shook his head at Gellam's words. That one was something impossible. He was so sure about his own attractivity, but he somehow always proved to be right. Half of the city girls were in love with the handsome young soldier.

Naurind barely noticed the girl Gellam was pointing at. Just another pretty face...

"You two better watch the horses. It is one of them you must choose, not the city girls. And consider yourselves lucky to be among the first to make the choice," he advised his men. Naurind knew it was a special benevolence from the King himself that he and his men were chosen as the first company to get the newly sent Rohan horses. He straightened his shoulders. Naurind was not one of the tallest men, so he often had to stand straight and proud not to disappear. With a critical eye he examined the fine horses that were being led closer. He stopped the third one, a beautiful brown stallion. The horse was dancing unpatiently. Casting a short look at the animal's back legs Naurind motioned the stablehand to proceed.

"Too short," he commented to his friends.

"No, I wouldn't say that," Gellam said thoughtfully. "For me her hight would be just perfect."

Naurind looked surprised at the man. Her hight? Then he noticed Gellam smiling to a pretty golden-haired lass in the crowd. Naurind rolled his eyes. "I am speaking about a horse Gellam!"

"Yes, you are always speaking about something else when you should pay at least the slightest attention to the beautiful ladies around you," Gellam teased him back. The corners of Naurind's mouth twitched.

"You are impossible!" he shook his head, then laughed to himself. "Make sure you are not left without a mount!"

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about that!" Ameon put in, "when have you seen Gellam being left without anything he wants?"

"True words..." Naurind had but to agree. He waved at another stablehand to stop. This time his eyes had fallen on a mighty black stallion.

((OOC: sorry for borrowing Ameaon and Gellam! I just felt like making a conversation here. Just let me know and I will do the necessary amends!))
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 06:11
((Not to worry Nif...I love your lines for Gellam, you got his personality exactly right! ))

"Yes, I know, I get what I want," Gellam said sarcastically, with an exaggerated toss of his head, "And it's her that I want." Gellam indicated one more pretty, giggling face in the crowd and chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Well, you can think about that later," reproached Naurind, "But now you mu-"

"I know, I know," Gellam interrupted him, "Now I must chose a horse." Resignedly, Gellam contented himself to watch the horses parading by with a heavy sigh. Still, he did not cease to throw wandering glances, winks and smiles at the many women in the crowd. After examining a dappled mare and several sleek grey stallions, Gellam settled on a strong and spirited bay mare. "There, are you happy now?" he asked Naurind. "Now may I choose a woman, your lordship?" he added with a flourish and exaggerated bow.

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 06:58
Nauring knew he should have been angry at Gellam, but he couldn't help but smile. That one was always making him laugh, in any situation.

"Fine, do it!" he waved Gellam away, still trying to keep himself from bursting out laughing. The bay mare Gellam chose was a noble horse, but not to Naurind's liking.

"Gellam? How do you always find something for your liking whenever you have to choose? It always takes more time for me, and..."

"And you rarely find anything to choose at all. I know!" Gellam finished. "Well, you just have to stop from thinking and analyzing, and start to LIVE for the moment, my friend!" he clapped on Naurind's back.

For the moment... Naurind sighed. How was it possible to live only for the moment? Without thinking forward...

"I guess I will never learn that," he said partly to himself, partly to his friends.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gelireth_undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 07:52
Mellodin stood quietly next to his friends Gellam and Naurind. He was not a calvalry-man, he was a guard of the citadel, but he had come with his friends anyway.

Mellodin was a lot less of a loud, laughing type as his close friends, but he couldn't help but laugh as Gellam swooned over the pretty girls in the crowd.

"Nice choice," noted Mellodin as Gellam presented his choice of horse, a beautiful bay, and laughed again as Gellam asked if he could choose a woman. He noticed that Naurind was having a hard time trying to be angry, and stepped away to admire a black stallion as they continued thier conversation.

His guard duty for that day wasn't until late afternoon, so Gellam and Naurind had invited him to come with them and help them chose horses. Mellodin had gladly accepted, he hardly ever got a chance to have time off and do something like this.

Mellodin walked back over to his group of friends just in time to hear Naurind say, "I guess I will never learn that," in a faraway voice. What did he mean, Mellodin wondered.
Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 09:45
Ameon laughed at all of Gellam's jokes. How he wished he was the one winking at the woman and making his friends laugh. He looked at the horse. The big black stallions the others were looking at Ameon wouldn't be able to mount. They scared him to much. He wanted one like him, calm and quiet, but affectionate and ready. He watched the horses. A white one caught his eye. A white what, he wondered and wished he knew more about horses. He went over to it, and stroked it. Whispering to it, in what he thought was a soothing tone. He wished woman were as easy to talk to and touch as horses. Neither he knew much about, yet horses were easy enough to feel comfortable around.

The white horse, winied slightly but was altogether exactly how Ameon wanted him to be. Ameon led the horse out smiling, sure any other man would have wondered why he had chosen what apeared small and weak, but just like Ameon himself who apeared small and weak, knew that those kind of horses, or people, needed a friend most, and he resolved to be theis horses friend.

He went up to Mellodin, "What do you think, do you think he'll suit me?"
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 10:17
((goodness! I went to school and the thread exploded while I was gone! Wait up...))

Erëtindë struggled, pushed, and pleaded her way through the growing crowd for what seemed like hours, until she finally caught her breath and rushed over to squeeze in close to the horses.
Some of the new steeds were young and wild-eyed, clearly uneasy in the crowds. Others appeared bored. Some pranced jauntily as if to impress the gathered soldiers, while still more hung back, or even shyed away. As she watched, one even bit at an approaching man.
The reactions of the horses, Erëtindë observed, were not much different from the reactions of the people present.
Sighing heavily and leaning on the fence post, the maiden watched as a dozen or so horses that had not been imediately singled out were herded into a makeshift corral.
She watched the animals with a practiced eye, pausing to look over each one in turn.
Erëtindë's eyes strayed to the newly chosen steeds and their masters, watching as they stroked, prodded, or inspected the horses.
A high pitched exclamation, somewhere between a whinney and a scream, came from the corral and her eyes flew back to it to see what was amiss.
Her eyes fell on a towering bay stallion, who stood a little apart from the others. The horse reared and struck out savagly at the edge of the enclosure; the fencing threatened to buckle. The stallion whirled and lashed out at another horse that had drifted too close, kicking and biting.
Men who stood by laughed and shouted at the horse, prevoking the animal and trying to restrain the terrified beast.
Erëtindë could watch no longer. Ducking under the railing, she entered the pen and marched over to the scene.
Poor Eradan had just found her again and was calling for her when she slipped into the enclosure. She ignored his pleading calls.
Watching helplessly, Eradan braced himself for the worst, knowing this would end badly for at least one being present, likely more...

(( There's your cue Nif!Not that Naurind's being mean, just that the insueing argument *hint hint* is his not-so-good impression of Erëtindë ))

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by Eärendils_Beloved]
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 01:08
Arnissë saw that a man was looking at her from across the way, she blushed,it was always her friend Mirendë that got the attention from the boys. She was just about to wounder when they were going to start picking out their horses when she saw the man that had pointed at her pick a horse.

She then turned to Mirendë, finally awnsering her. 'You don't like horses much do you?" she said then not giving her time to awnser, said " well i agree, the men are better to look at"
She then saw a fimiliar face in the crowd "Hey Mirendë, isnt that your sister?" she asked "and who is that boy she is with?" she woundered at that, she had never seen Erëtindë in the company of a boy before, maybe she had finally found someone..... Arnissë then turned her attention back to the ceremony and the men on the other side.
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 04:40
Mirendë sighed disgusted. "Of course that's her, but trust me, she's here for the main event, not the lovely side show. As for the boy, I doubt he's with her. I don't think she could stand next to a male for a minute." She saw that many of the men who had already picked their horses were beginning to examine the crowd. "Arnissë, quick. Is my hair alright?"

Eradan grimaced watching his friend. He gulped trying to bite back the anxiety gnawing at him. He wanted to run into the coral, and get her out of there, but his locked knees would not allow it.

He watched with dread as Erëtindë wove her way through the horses heading directly towards the fight at the other end. He tried to calm his fears. She's probably the best person out there to fix this... right? I mean she knows horses better than half these men here. His hope faded as he saw how dwarfed she was by the rearing stallion. Please don't kill yourself Erëtindë.
Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 07:20
As a horse in the corral started rearing Ameon became even happier with his horse. He started wondering what he should call him....cloud? no, too girly...thunder? no, too mean, that would be a good name for the stallion who just reared though or storm, storm suited the stallion. Then Ameon remembered he was thinking of his horse's name...friend? maybe...pal? perhaps. But they weren't names. Of course, nor was cloud, maybe he should name hiim Jacob or something. but that would get his friends all going crazy with laughter. How about Powder? that was better. Hmm...he liked that.

"Powder", he whispered to the horse. The horse whinnied. "Then Powder it is!" he said smiling at his new friend.

He turned to Mellodin, "Well? What do you think? She wil do, right?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 08:26
Naurind looked at Ameon who seemed happy about his new-found horse and then at Gellam, who had already forgotten about his choice, drowning in the eyes of a beautiful girl...

Hi sighed, beginning to get irritated. He wished this was soon over... The line of the horses neared it end. Naurind regreted now not taking the first one, that brown one. Maybe it was not so bad after all that the animal's back legs were shorter... With the corner of his eye he noticed a horse rearing. That was one of those he had rejected. It's new master was trying to hold it, but the animal wouldn't let him to. Naurind snorted.

"Don't take a horse you can't handle," he mumbled to hmself, but audibly enough for his friends around him.

"Well, as to me, I always choose those I can handle," Gellam commented.

"Right!" Naurind rolled his eyes. "Do you ever..." he didn't finish. A grey mare caught his eye. She wasn't a large horse or a very outstsnding one, but she had excellent proportions, and very long legs. Naurind motioned the stab;ehand to stop and examined the horse carefully. The mare stood unmoving, as if she didn't care, what made Naurind smile. This one had a certain temper but didn't show it.

"I'll take this one," he said, receiving a surprised look from Ameon and Mellodin - Gelmir didn't even hear him.

"Shouldn't you have chosen a larger one? One that would suit your status?"

Naurind patted the mare's grey neck and smiled.

"She'll do fine suiting my status."

An angry neigh drew his attention to the rearing horse. Now the animal was raging. Several men were trying to tame it, and one was cradling a broken arm.

"Something should be done about it!" Ameon exclaimed.

"All right..." Naurind tossed his new mare's reigns to Mellodin and lazily went over there.

"You are just making the horse angry!" he addressed the men. "Lady, please stay out of this, you can get hurt" he politely pushed back a mousy girl who had suddenly appeared inside the corral. Women had nothing to do with raging horses.

"Easy boy, easy!" he slowly approached the stallion who was looking at him with a white eye. Nauring carefully extended his hand. The horse let him touch its nose. The young Captain slowly took the reigns with his other hand...

Suddenly with a wild neigh the stallion reared again. One of the hooves hit Naurind's shoulder, trying to regain balance the man slipped and fell down on the dirty ground. It must have looked funny because the crowd around roared iwith laughter. Heat hit Naurind's face. Determined to tame that damned horse he tried to stand up only to fall again and hastily roll away escaping the heavy hooves.

Somebody stepped over him as if he were just a rag and headed straight to the raging horse. Naurind looked up and noticed the same mousu girl he had pushed aside.

"Are you crazy? he called, but the maid didn't even look at him. Every bit of her attention was concentrated on the stallion in front of her.

((Well, your turn EB! I hope I did everything right ))
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 10:12
(( It's just fine Nif, good job))

Erëtindë the young noble topple backward. With a snort of disgust, she marched right past him...or over him, rather, to stand between him an the enraged steed.
The stallion reared, fighting with the air, his hooves dangerously close to the girl, but she didn't blanch. She stood like a stone statue, undisturbed by the horse's wild actions.
Turning to the herdsman, who still clung despirately to the lead he'd looped around the horse's neck, she snatched the rope from his hands and let it dangle, sparing only a brief glare before returning her attention to the frightened beast.
The towering bay had returned all four hooves to the earth, but still shied and tossed his head. Reaching up cautiously, Erëtindë extended her hand toward the horse. He snapped at her, but she persisted slowly, whispering soothing words all the while. Erëtindë's hand finally brushed the velvety muzzle and the horse instantly backed away.
"It's ok..." she whispered. "Garo sidh, mellon nin."
Second by second, the maid inched closer until she stood beside the now calm stallion. She continued to stroke the horse's gleaming coat and whisper gently into it's velvety ears for a long moment. When she was satisfied that the animal was calm, she took notice of the crowd. It was then she saw Eradan slip under the fence and come running up to her. He looked nervously at his friend and proceeded to lead her away. she was making a scene, and he didn't like it.
"No, Erad!" she snapped, shoving him away. The boy's shoulder's slumped in defeat; he hated when she acted like this.
Erëtindë stroked the bay one last time, patting it on the withers for good measure, before surrendering to her friend and turning to go. It was then that her eyes fell on Naurind.
The young man's elegant garmet was ruined and his pride wounded. Not that she cared...
"Might get hurt? Huh...lookes like you managed enough humiliation for both of us." she said sharply.

Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 03:27
Ameon tried to cover a smirk as a maiden suceeded in taming a horse which Naurind could not. It had seemed an imposible feat, especially for a girl, but she had shown no fear. He watched her as she was dragged away by a boy.

"What do you think that was about? And who is she?" he asked Mellodin. "She sure is something!" he blushed, "Of course she isn't all that pretty and not at all anything to be considered. hardly a girl at all," he muttered, becoming redder. He wondered why he couldn't be as cool and collected as Gellam was about girls. Of course, unlike for Gellam, girls seemed like a different species to Ameon. And for all he knew they might have been. He heard giggles around him and wondered how a man was supposed to react to a womans giggle. Was he suposed to nod or, perhaps, giggle back? And when they batted their eyebrows, were they suposed to pretend not to notice, or should they coment on their eyes, or maybe even bat their own back.

Ameon sighed, if only there was a book, (and if only he could read well), on how girls acted and what it meant and what to do after they did such stuff. He looked at Gellam, perhaps there needn't be such a book because perhaps he was the only man who was in this predicament.
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 04:07
"What is your sister doing?, trying to kill her self?" asked Arnissë to Mirendë. She thought that horses were a mans bussniess and not girls to go medling in if they didnt have to. Arnissë then remembered Mirendë's queston "your looks fine, like always." She hoped that the ceremony would be over soon so that she and Mirendë would be able to mingle amongst the men.

"Whose horse was that that reared anyway, how embarissing...." said Arnissë.
gelireth_undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 08:34
((Agh!! This is going fast!))
"Yes, she is a beauty," Mellodin said to Ameon.
He saw a crowd of people around a rearing horse and was about to comment on it when Naurind said, "I'll take that one."
The mare he chose was nice, but not very large and Mellodin thought that Naurind could have chosen a better one.

Ameon pointed to the rearing horse and said someone should do something about that."

Suddenly Naurind tossed him the reigns and entered the scene of commotion around the rearing horse. Mellodin took the reigns and watched as Naurind tried taming it, and fell. Ouch. He got up, and fell again. Then, Mellodin saw, someone stepped over him and approached the horse. A girl? What were women doing in the corral? And then, to his amazement, the girl tamed the horse as if it were her own. Mellodin was awed.

"What do you think that was about? And who is she?" Ameon asked him.

"I don't know," Mellodin answered, still watching the girl stroke the horse.

"She sure is something," Ameon said. Mellodin didn't answer. Ameon blushed and said, "Of course she isn't all that pretty and not at all anything to be considered. hardly a girl at all."

Mellodin said to him,"Oh, come on. It's okay if you like her, you don't have to be so ashamed!" Of course, he knew that Ameon had always had problems with girls, unlike his other friends, especially Gellam. Mellodin himself had some doubts about how to convey his feelings on girls, but no one really noticed since he was so shy anyway.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 02:12
At the mention of girls, Gellam was instantly interesting in Ameon and Mellodin's conversation. "Girls, eh? So you've finally got your priorities straight?"

Ameon and Mellodin chuckled good naturedly. They were Gellam's friends certainly, but they were so different in character and personality that they had never been particularly close.

"Well, which one were you talking abour then?" Gellam continued. "Certainly not that one over there," he gestured to the pen where the girl had just calmed the rearing horse and chuckled, "It looks like she and Naurind are quite busy." Gellam chuckled again at the implications of his joke, though in truth, even he could see that Naurinds brief exchange with this girl had been anything but friendly, let alone flirtatious. "Allright, well let me know if you find anything," said Gellam with a wink. He often tried to fix shy Ameon up by introducing him to girls he knew Ameon fancied. After playfully punching both Ameon and Mellodin in the arms, Gellam strode confidently off into the crowd.

He had little trouble getting where he wanted, even in the throngs of people, for he was tall, handsome, and wearing the uniform of a cavalry captain. The crowd seemed to part in front of him. Gellam ran his hand absently through his shoulder length brown hair as he stopped in front of two particularly good-looking young women. "Hello ladies," Gellam greeted them, pouring on the charm, "I don't suppose either of you could help me...You see, that's my comrade over there," he indicated the corral where the rearing horse had been, "and I'm afriad he's taken a liking to stables girls," at this, Gellam chuckled lightly, "I'm looking for some particularly attractive girls to entertain him this evening."

((There's your cue Ayla and Ancalime ))

[Edited on 21/8/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 03:22
Arnissë shyly smiled at the man, "Sure, i would love to!" she said. She accompanyed the man over to the corral.

"What is your name?" Arnissë asked, she then reconized the man is the one that had pointed to her through the crowd to her earlier.

"My name is Gellam, what is yours" inquirred the man.
"Arnissë" she replyed.

"The horse you pick is beautiful" smiled Arnissë, not knowing anything about horses.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 07:21
((OK, too late to do anything about my lame pick-up line now...I wanted to think of something Gellam-ish for him to say, and that's all I could think of, kinda lame, but oh well. Oh, and like I said in the OOC, my character will go for Mirendë first, but in the end he'll fall for Arnissë))

"Ah, yes, she'll do," Gellam replied loftily, slapping the horse gently on the side. "But I do much prefer beautiful women to beautiful horses," he added with a wink. "You have not told me your name yet..." he turned towards the blonde girl.

"Oh, yes, I'm sorry. It's Mirendë," she said smiling and fluttering her eyes, trying not to giggle.

"A lovely name." Then, out of the corner of his eye, Gellam saw Mellodin waving and motioning to him. "Ah, my comrade clearly does not see that I am busy. I must go speak with him, all the same. We'll be back here shortly before dark, it would be ever so kind of you to show up. I could do with a bit of entertaining myself." With that, Gellam bent and kissed both of their hands, bowed low and began to make his way towards Mellodin before turning back once more to smile at Mirendë and Arnissë.

"I've gotten us a party," Gellam said, grinning, when he reached Mellodin.
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 04:52
"Oh isn't he so charming," Mirendë sighed after Gellam was back with his friends. "And handsome too."

She finally took her eyes off of him to turn to Arnissë. "Come on. We'd best go find what we're going to wear." She tugged her friend's arm leading her back through the crowd. "You should see the dress I got yesterday, its a light blue with small pearls embedded into the collar. Do you think I should wear that one, or maybe that red one I got last week. Did I ever show that to you? And then we could do our hair," she almost squeeled in delight. "Oh, this'll be so much fun." She had almost completely forgot about her sister in the coral.

Eradan winced as Erëtindë harsh tongue whipped out at the young noble. She just couldn't let the matter be. He was beginning to notice just how many eyes were fixed on him and his friend, and it was making him feel very uncomfortable. Blood rose into his face and he felt his heart beat faster.

"Erëtindë, can we please go?" he said longingly, not looking at her. "You've made you point, now let's go home."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 05:10
Erëtindë stroked the bay one last time, patting it on the withers for good measure, before surrendering to her friend and turning to go. It was then that her eyes fell on Naurind.
The young man's elegant garmet was ruined and his pride wounded. Not that she cared...
"Might get hurt? Huh...lookes like you managed enough humiliation for both of us." she said sharply.

Naurind stared coldly at her getiing up and trying to recompose what was left of his dignity. He calmly brushed off his coat a few pieces of hay, his face was showing nothing of the storm that was raging inside him. This quality had made him a good leader, and he had no idea that it would cause him problems when dealing with women... Then he looked at the mousy girl stading in front of him, and his anger slowly faded away. It was just a common lass, trying to play somebody she wasn't. Naurind just couldn't believe she had just dared to insult him.

"I am sorry to hear that a quite understandable wish to keep a woman out of danger has been so misunderstood from your side, lady. If it offended you and pushed you towards such a needless rude behavior and, what is even more saddening, to the choice of words that lack any politeness, I present my sincere apology," he didn't act like a gentleman, he was a gentleman, and nothing but his eyes showed the irony his words contained. He wasn't chiding her, he was merely laughing at her. The girl was the only one he allowed to see it... and she understood, Naurind guessed by the way the colour hit her cheeks. Her eyes blazed like fire, but were met by his icily cold stare. She opened her mouth to speak, when the boy who she had handed the horse's reigns over timidly approached.

"Erëtindë, can we please go?" he said longingly, not looking at her. "You've made your point, now let's go home."

The girl shot an angry glance at the stablehand that had just spoken.

"This young man is absolutely right, lady. You really should return home," Naurind clapped on the boy's shoulder. "Take good care of her, my friend. This young lady seems to me the kind who tends to get into troubles. Oh, by the way - you did an excellent job with that horse. I know only a few men who would have done better."

He turned to leave, but impulsively saluted to her. His attitude was nothing less than perfectly honorable, as if she were a true lady. With that, Naurind walked towards Ameon and Mellodin. Taking his grey mare's reigns from the tower guard, the young Captain said:

"Let's go, my friends. We have seen all that was to see here."

[Edited on 23/8/2004 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 07:18
"What was that about?" Ameon asked Naurind, "Makikng war on a girl? I never thought you would go after one." he chuckled at his joke, the others shook their heads at him and he therefore shut up. He looked back at the girl, there was something strange about her, something that actually intrigued him. THen he sighed, 'I have to think about tonight,' he thought.

"Gellam, what are the girls like? Not too giggly I hope." he was somewhat afraid of giggly girls, they were so wonderful that he felt he didn't deserve them, "And not Too pretty, right?" but by the happy look on Gellam's face he guessed they were pretty, giggly girls. He sighed.
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 08:56
Eradan looked away from Erëtindë to the noble who had addressed him.

"Take good care of her, my friend. This young lady seems to me the kind who tends to get into troubles." He was about to protest when he side glanced at his friend, who was shooting daggers at him with her eyes. He quickly shut his mouth before something stupid came out of it. The man took his hand off of Erad's shoulder and turned to go.

"Oh, by the way - you did an excellent job with that horse. I know only a few men who would have done better." Eradan almost sighed with relief as the man left. Having him and Erëtindë together was like striking flint against tinder. Sparks were flying everywhere.

He saw Erëtindë staring coldly at the departing figure. Not wanting anything more to happen he hastily urged her towards the coral gate.

"C'mon, Erëtindë. We'd better get back to the stables. I've got to talk to Gelmir and I'd like you to come with me."
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 01:50
Arnissë went off with her friend to get changed.

"Yes, I agree, he is very handsom, and nice!" said Arnissë.

"You should were the new blue one, it sounds great!, Can I borrow the red one?" said Arnissë excitedly. "I can do your hair in some beautiful braids!, then you can do mine?"

"Do you know what happened to your sister?, is she ok?, that looked awful!, I admit, she does have guts" piped Arnissë She tehn followed her all the way to her house excitidly chating all along the way...
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 02:19
"Yes, yes of course you can borrow the red one. Oh and I have some lovely jewels that match it as well. I think your hair would look best in a bun, surrounded by curls. But hmmm... do we have time for the curls to set. I hope so, we should hurry," Mirendë chattered.

She hardly noticed the comment about her sister. "Hmm... oh yes isn't she a disgrace. Charging up in front of all those people like she owned the place. If she got hurt it's her own fault." She suddenly cringed. "But do you think this will be the town talk for too long. I certainly hope not. That would just be awful. Oh here we are," she said swiftly turning into her humble home.

She noted that her mother was not home, though she didn't care much. She wondered if she had been at the ceremonies. She ushered Arnissë upstairs, to her room and her closet.

Swiftly pulling out the lovely light blue dress she had bought the day before holding it up and swirling around. "Isn't it just lovely!"
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 10:06
Clearly infuriated, but at a lost for words, Erëtindë stared after the courtly young captain and his train, a cold fury in her steel-grey eyes.
At last she mumbled something, mercifully unintelligible, spun crisply on her heels, and stormed up the street, heading back towards the stables of the errand riders. Eradan trailed after her warily, breathing a sigh of relief.
By the time the stables were in sight, the lad had caught up with her, so that they were walking nearly side by side when they met Gelmir in the doorway.
The man, haggard looking for one so middle-aged, looked cross – as usual.
The dauntless maiden was quite unaffected by the man’s ire; not so for the lad.
Eradan was a tenderhearted, gullible soul and ridicule cut him deeply.
Especially when the stable master seemed to ignore the girl, but spare nothing for the lad.
“Where have you been?! He roared.

((Sorry this is short. I’ve been really busy lately and it was all I could do just to post.))
ancalimeofnumenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 11:00
Eradan coward at the lashing tongue of his boss. "We were down at the ceremonies. You told us we could--"

"Silence!" Eradan fell quiet noting that Erëtindë had already gotten past and was in the tackle room. "I come in here and find the place empty, only half the horses properly groomed, and fed, an impatient messenger wondering why his mount is not saddled, and you were down at the ceremonies! Ceremonies are for those without work to do, you not included!" Eradan grumbled something under his breath about wishing they would have stayed in the stables. "What was that, boy? Are you sassing me!" Erad quickly shook his head. "Good. I want all these horses ready to go by the tenth hour. The king is sending out some sort of census and all his messengers are going. All the horses need to be ready. Got that?" Erad nodded timidly. Gelmir turned around and quickly strod to his office.

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Erad rose his hand. "Um, sir--" Gelmir spun around quickly, frightening Eradan.

"What?! Make it quick boy, I'm a busy man."

Erad looked at his feet which shuffled in the dust. "My ma was wondrin' if I could get my pay fer this month today."

"Again?" Gelmir's face was nearly as red as a rose. "Wha'dya think I am, a treasury? I get payed same as you, and its only then that I can pay you!" He waved his hand passively and marched away, leaving a defeated Erad. Ma's not going to be happy.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 02:17
((Ah, I'm getting left behind! Well, I'm back from my vacation so I'll be around for a while before school starts...))

Gellam answered Mellodin's question grinning broadly, "Pretty, why of course, the prettiest of the lot, and giggly, well, a bit, but I expect they won't be so much once the 'festivities' begin." Seeing Mellodin look slightly dejected, Gellam quickly added, "But don't worry my friend, you can have any girl you like at this party, just say the word and I'll see to the rest."

Gellam then turned to Naurind who had just joined them. "Have you heard, I've gotten us some entertainment for tonight," he said raising his eyebrows. Naurind, didn't look quite as pleased as Gellam. "Oh come on then, cheer up mate. You certainly can't carry on being entertained by common stable girls. I'll show you a good time tonight."
gelireth_undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 03:34
(Ack! I'm so sorry for not posting!)

Mellodin was slightly dissapointed, but at Gellam's next words he grinned and said, "Okay."

Naurind rejoined them, looking rather beat-up and not at all pleased. Mellodin tossed Naurind the reigns of his horse as Gellam told him their plans.

But even the news of "entertainment" didn't lighten him, and Mellodin wondered if he really did like the girl who had tamed the horse. Although it might be the complete opposite.

Mellodin thought Gellam had a good point, Naurind could get a much better girl than this stable girl, just like he could have gotten a better horse. Naurind, though, still looked dubious.

This will be an interesting night, Mellodin thought as he walked with his friends back towards the city.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email