Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
Post RE: Overcoming (scripted)
on: December 14, 2004 02:51
Devin must admit that Dwelian had made a good speech; and the idea of the elves being guilty of the Blight made even more sense being explained in this way. Though he couldn't forget what Thearl had told him before the start of the council, it was true that Dwelian hadn't shown any proof and Devin was curious if Dwelian would come up with something later that night.

Devin could feel someone looking at him and he knew it was Thearl, he didn't look back. He couldn't meet his friends eyes right now, he needed to make up his mind; was he going to speak?
He didn't want to if he was honest with himself, he didn't want to be the first one to speak. He didn't like getting so much attention and plus, he didn't ant people to notice how terrible he looked, they might worry... Thearl was right... they were both looking very worn and tired...
So Devin tore his view from Dwelian and his gaze wandered through the hall to see if anyone was going to speak.
Silence.

His eyes met the ones of the man who said at the other side of Thearl, so this must be Andy... Interesting... he thought, maybe he would have the opportunity to speak to the man later. Thearl hadn't said it with so many words but Devin knew that the man meant a lot to him...

He then looked at Rethe who sat very close to him, he could see she had questions like he had, but she wasn't in the position, as she was a woman, to speak first. Should he stand up and ask the questions? Should he do it for Rethe? he wondered briefly, but just as he wanted to stand up, someone else did. He sighed in relieve, happy that he didn't have to speak.... at least... for now.

Caelyn sat restlessly on her chair, next to her she could feel Amanda move quietly as well. She didn't like the whole speech and the accusations this man; Dwelian, had made. She couldn't and would never believe that elves would do such a thing to them.

She had never had the chance to actually speak to one, but she had seen them more then once. Caelyn's and Amanda's mother had been an elven friend and she had taken her daughters with her into Mirkwood a couple of times. And when Caelyn had been a little girl her mother had told her an elven story every night before she went to sleep. She had heard nothing but good about the elves, they loved and cared for all things that lived so this was a ridiculus suggestion.

Caelyn patted Amanda softly on the shoulder to let her know that everything was allright. She just wanted to stand up to react on Dwelian's speech but she was just a moment to late.

So she waited for Dwelian to answer; after that she would stand up and say what she thought about the whole case.

Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 08:34
Dwelian nodded. He was glad that some one had started of the debate, but he was not to sure that he liked the question that he was given... it required too much detail for an answer.

"Good evening Réman." He said with a polite smile. "I feel that the fact that there are no wizards, sorceresses, or other magical beings around here rather leaves the elves open to suspicion. You all I presume know that Dragons are not capable of such magic, If they wanted you dead they would just come by air and breathe their fire." He stood up straighter. "Also, elves by stature are tall, slim and mystical. They wear cloaks and robes such as my friend mentioned during my speech with him. This is why I think it must be them."

"I also know that it can quite possibly be proven with time, and yes, he had a clear view of all seven of them." he replied in answer to the other questions. He did not want to present evidence just yet, he would know when the time would be right.

"Any other comment's or questions?" he asked Réman and the rest of the hall.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 09:01
This was her time, now she could stand up and say what she had in mind.

"I don't believe you." Caelyn said as she stood up. Most people looked around to see where the sound was coming from, she was so small that she was hardly recognisable between all the sitting people.

She took a deep breath and continued in a loud voice. "I have met elves and my mother was a great friend of them when she was still alive. Elves are lovers of nature and will never harm any living creature or will cause damage to it. It is nonsence that they would like their lands back, the elves of Mirkwood don't like the open lands, they love their woods and Mirkwood is big enough for the elves to live.

If you clame that the elves are guilty I want to see proof, real proof, not just a report of what an unknow man thinks he saw. I want to see it with my own eyes, and even then I will doubt your words."

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by kellymulder]
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 06:21
((This is Thearl's point of view, lol))

Rethe was not mistaken when she thought she saw a faint smile on her brother lips when the young man, Réman, asked his questions, because Thearl really smiled. He liked the way of young man's thinking, and he had to admit that the man made good points. Thearl was curious what answers Dwelian would give, and so he listened carefully to them. As soon as Dwelian began to answer, however, Thearl realised that he was not going to give any new, or important information, because he was clearly repeating things he had said before, but using other words. Sighing quietly Thearl made a mental note to add this to his speech when he would be ready to give it. These would be important points that would allow people to see the other way of thinking than the one Dwelian presented.

Thearl was aware of his sister looking at him, and he noticed her surprise when she looked at him. The man regretted that he had no time to talk with her about his point of view before the Council had begun- now it was too late. He could see that she wanted to ask questions, but he also hoped that she would not, because that would not be seen too kindly, and would not be appropriate either. And he hoped that she would not speak in public at all, or at least if she had to, she would not oppose him.

His thoughts were interrupted by another person speaking, and Thearl sighed as he realized that the speaker was a young woman. He had nothing against women, nothing at all, but hated when they were forgetting their place just as this woman had. Thearl did not recognize her at all, he might have seen her somewhere before, but he did not even know what name she had, or what family she belonged to. She seemed to be alone here, with no male companion, be it her husband or any other relative. This was not right, Thearl thought, since he did not think it was a good idea for a woman to come to a meeting like this one alone. Had she a male companion with her, he could have asked the questions for her, if he had decided they were worth asking. But this... this woman clearly did not know her place, or had forgotten where it was, Thearl thought displeased. She did not say anything valuable either, she was just rambling on as Dwelian did, but at least Dwelian did it in a good way, whereas she...

Thearl looked around and could see that the people present in the Town Hall seemed to share his point of view. The men did, because they felt it was not right for a lone woman to speak in such a important Council, and for sure she must not have done this so in the beginning, if at all. The women also seemed to be embarrassed by the way in which one of them behaved, since they knew it was improper for Caelyn to speak so boldly in the presence of men. Thearl could see the poor woman blushing when she felt all the serious gazes resting on her- by now she must have realized that she had done something wrong...
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 06:51
Dwelian stared at the woman, and realised that almost the entire hall had their eyes on her. The women were hiding with embarrassment for this girl's boldness while the men looked at her with disapproval. Dwelian knew that almost every man here felt exactly as he did to this woman's question.

'And I don't believe that it is proper for a woman to speak so openly her mind, in such a bold and impolite way; as we are discussing such a serious matter, one in which the men should take the lead.' He said defiantly as he looked at the girl. Her face turned crimson with anger and embarrassment. It seemed to him that she had not thought on her actions, or been taught any manners, let alone had ever been told her place.

The room filled with murmurs and the nodding of heads as people agreed with Dwelian's comment on the woman's rudeness. The women were looking at her telling her to sit down before she made an even bigger fool of herself, but she still stood there until Dwelian asked her to take her seat.

"If you please," He added so as not to contradict his own words. The muttering died down as the town's people turned back to face Dwelian. It seemed that the hall had clearly forgotten about the questions that had been asked, and did not expect a reply for they all were now waiting for someone else to state their opinion on the matter.

"Would anyone else care to make a suitable contribution to this discussion?" He began once again.

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by Aerhíril]
kellymulder
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 07:43
Caelyn flushed at all the attention and suddenly she realised that they weren’t looking at her because of her words but because of the person who was speaking. She was a woman! She could hear the people whisper and looking at her like she had some kind of contagious disease. They weren’t even listening to her! Hot anger filled her, just because she was a woman her points were useless, nobody was going to listen to her.
Caelyn wished, not for the first time that she was married, she could have let her husband speak for her, her own pride wasn’t important. This people were about to make a terrible mistake if they were going to follow Dwelian.

Amanda pulled her dress, begging her to sit down. “Cael… please, all this people are looking at you, don’t make it any worse.” The little girl whispered. But Caelyn wasn’t going to sit down; she had to explain herself. She wasn’t going to let this… this Dwelian make a fool out of her.

Caelyn’s eyes shot fire and her hands were folded to fists, to the eyes of everyone in the room she seemed to grow. She took a deep breath and stared furiously at Dwelian. “Thanks for you offer… sir. But I won’t sit down until I’ve spoken my mind.” Then she turned to the room “I know what all of you’re thinking, a woman speaking like this, has she no pride, has she no dignity? I can tell you, I would have let my man speak for me if I had one, I would have let my father speak for me if he hadn’t been dying because of food shortage. I think I am one of the few persons that has had some contact with elves, or knows something about them. I would have remained silent if I had the feeling that any of you men…” She made a big gesture with her arms. “… were going to say what was on my mind. No elves are represented in this meeting and they need defence, I don’t claim that I know much about them but I know more then most of you. Many of you may have known my mother Allian, she was very well know for her knowledge of herbs. She learned that from the elves, whom were her friends. Being her daughter I think I have the right to ask questions and to say my opinion if nobody is going to do that for me. So…” She turned to Dwelian again “I ask you friendly and humbly, sir, will you please react to my previous words…” Caelyn bowed to him and then sat herself down.

eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 10:53
((Co-written by Aerhíril and myself, enjoy ))

Dwelian was cut short in speaking when the girl who had just been told to sit down answered back, and this time she insulted the entire room full of men. Dwelian was sure the men would not like being called 'any of you men' with an arm gesture, he knew he didn't, plus he was irritated at her assumption that she knew more than any man in this hall did about elves. Who cared what she thought? The mutterings were even louder this time as everyone turned around to see this girl practically insult Dwelian, and then everyone else. The last bit annoyed Dwelian even further, when after all her rudeness she finally decided to throw in the words 'friendly and humble' in Dwelian's name when she clearly hated him already.

Thearl just couldn't believe his own ears, as he looked back at Caelyn who was speaking again. He thought that she would listen to good advice she was offered and would sit down and stay put. But no, she had to answer back, and this time she was not only rude. She offended Dwelian, and then offended all the men present in the room. And that was more than Thearl could take. He looked up at Dwelian to see what comment the man would make, but he himself was sure that he would not be able to restrain himself from adding something.

"I have asked you kindly to take your seat," Dwelian told her. "And not only have you offended me, but you have insulted every man in this hall." He locked his eyes on to her, and she now looked absolutely furious. There was a loud simmer of angry agreement in the hall, and Dwelain would have said more but he was unsure of what to say with out being impolite. "I also think it silly of you to assume that you know more about elves than every man in this hall."

Thearl stood up, and looked at Dwelian. "I am sorry to interrupt you, Dwelian, but this has to be taken care of." The man locked his gaze with Dwelian, and there was no sight of hostility in his eyes at all.

Dwelian nodded, allowing Thearl to speak. As Thearl said this, the entire hall turned to look at him, and they all seemed to be reassured that they were right in their views as Thearl shared them too. This could prove to become a problem later if Thearl still didn’t agree with his theory, but this did not matter at present.

Thearl looked at the men who focused their attention on him. He knew exactly how they were felling about what Caelyn had said, since he was feeling it himself. He felt offended, very offended. Thearl quickly formed in his mind the main points he wanted to mention, and then began talking in a strong and confidant tone of voice.

“If you will allow me to speak in your name,” Thearl said, looking at the people in the Hall, “I would like to say a few words to this young Miss, who had just spoken so rudely. She has offended us all, that is at least how I feel, though I can see that you feel exactly the same way.“ Loud murmurs of approval and nods of heads from the crowd followed Thearl's words.

Thearl seeing that he had the men's consent to speak, turned towards Caelyn, and then began. “If you will pardon me, I will address you per Miss, since you did not see fit to tell us your name. I don't know if you are aware of the fact that you have just insulted all the men present in this Hall, but regardless of the fact if you did it deliberately or not, the harm was done.“ The men nodded, looking at Caelyn and murmuring quietly, and the women were watching her with embarrassment.

“I think that you do not know how a Council looks like, so a short introduction will be in place. First of all, there is no place for rudeness or impoliteness in any way. You can have your own opinion on everything, and you are not obliged to agree with any opinion that is presented here. But this gives you no right to offend other people just because you don't agree with them. That is not acceptable, and will be not tolerated here.“ Silent approval and nods were accompanying Thearl's words.

“Besides as to your other words that most of the men don't know as much as you do, and that they do not speak what you want to hear. This Council, in case you haven't noticed, has just begun, and no one had a chance to speak their opinion, no one but Réman. And I assure you that many will speak tonight.“

“And one more thing. It seems to me that you have no idea how people should behave at a council. First of all, as I already said, everyone has to be polite. And the other thing is, that during a council, people take turns to speak. And it is the right order that the men speak first. Our women rarely speak during a council, mostly because they respect our opinions, and if they want something to be said, they ask their husbands or other relatives to speak for them if they think that something needs to be said. And if a woman, just as you said, has no male companion who would speak for her, she might speak for herself. But she must have something vital to say, an important information, something that may prove very useful for making a decision...“

Thearl sighed, and then added. “Now, you have two choices, Miss. Either you will apologise everyone who has been offended by your words, or I request you to leave this Hall, since we have already wasted a lot of time for this pointless speech, and we have very important matters to discuss.“

Dwelian nodded, he couldn’t have put it better himself. He wondered what this woman would no do; he thought that the best solution would be to apologise. The hall watched her to see what she would do; and many were waiting for her apology.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 11:25
Devin had followed the discussion with open mouth, looking very sheepishly. He couldn't believe what has just happened, the way that Caelyn had spoken to the whole council; like she had been a man. He had to do something, he couldn't let her get humiliated. She had been rude, and extremely stupid and very out of place. But still, she had helped him greatly, she had given him food, she had taken care of him when he had blacked out. He couldn't let this happen; but what could he do, he couldn't openly oppose Thearl and the whole council. He was still figuring out what to do when Caelyn spoke again. And Devin was feared of what she would say, it could only make things worse...

Caelyn stood up again, slightly annoyed by the fact that they were only focussing on her instead of on the council. They were totally missing the point here. She sighed deeply. "My name is Caelyn and I had no means to offend any of you mister, or any of the other men in this council. I just felt that I needed to explain myself, and my opinion; I felt that this council was going the wrong way so I decided to speak my mind. But let us, as you say, proceed with this meeting, as we are indeed waisting time over unimportant rules. What this night is about is the ending of the Blight and the saving lives. I promise I will not interrupt anymore in a 'inappropriate' way. I here by offer my apologies to everyone who feels offended."

Devin stood up, now was the right time to act. "I think I speek everyone's mind if I say that your appologies are accepted; we all want to proceed this council as quickly as you. You may sit down now." As he sat down he bowed over to Thearl and whispered silently "I'm sorry for doing this my friend, I will explain it to you later...."

[Edited on 16/12/2004 by kellymulder]
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 06:16
Bacall stood utterly dumbfounded at what had just happened in the room. The woman who had spoken had been correct in her voice, and here was everyone putting her down. Even Thearl, who Bacall had thought opposed the idea of the elves being the cause. Why would he quiet an opposer, woman or not? Bacall dug his fingers into his hands as the ordeal went on, and the further it went the more he wished to say something. By the time she offered her apology, he was fuming and could stay silent no longer. Though he had desired to remain out of sight of Thearl and Rethe, he could not just sit by and allow such a valid point to be overlooked. The woman was right, and he had to let them all know it.

As Caelyn and Devin sat down, he stepped from the shadows and pulled back the hood that his face, "But the lady is right in what she said!" Bacall demanded, and in an instant all eyes were to him. Bacall scanned the group as questionable looks passed many faces as to who this man was and why he was here. Bacall figured he would start from the beginning, "I am Bacall, son of Bardor. I grew up in this village and lived here until my 18th year when I was offered a position in Gondor as a hunter for those of high status. I have lived the last twenty years in that city as a hunter and messenger. I have traveled to many realms and been in the company of races that many of you have only heard about in tales, including elves." he paused a moment before continuing.

"I have been a guest in elvish houses and dined with elvish lords. The lady Caelyn is right in what she said, the elves are a people who treasure nature in all its forms. Never have I seen any elf who would do harm to the lands they hold so dearly, and that is not just the lands on which they live, but all lands. The idea that the elvish people would have any reason to infect this Blight is one most absurd. There has also not been any kind of physical proof of these claims, and without tangible proof, all the wordy claims in the world are useless. Do not put down one whose ideas are vaild simply because of gender, especially when she has no one to speak on her behalf. Her arguments are good ones, and I support them because I too have been in elvish company more then almost anyone else here can claim. Never have I been treated in a manner other then one of kindness, and never have I seen any display by them that would make me think they would be responsible for such actions."

Bacall refused to meet Thearl's eyes or Rethe's eyes for fear of what he would see there. Instead he focused his attention on other faces. He hoped his words would have some effect and return the council to the matter they were here to discuss. When he finished speaking, he moved back against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. He did not replace the cloak hood, for now there seemed little point of hiding.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 06:39
Rethe was just so shocked by the way the meeting had been progressing up to that point. She was angry at Caelyn, but also embarrassed for her. Because Rethe knew exactly how the woman felt. Often she had strong opinions that she could not express because of the fact that she was a woman. But she had always been blessed with knowledge that she and Thearl shared the same views, and he would always speak her own mind. True, there had been times in the past where she had stood up in meetings and spoken her thoughts, and with much force. But then, she was also the mayor's daughter and respected in the community. On the rare occasions when she did stand up for her own opinion she was not frowned upon like other women were.

Just when Rethe thought this meeting couldn't go any worse, her thoughts were interrupted by another voice. A voice she had heard earlier that day, and thought she probably would not hear again. Bacall actually came forward and spoke very forcefully in defense of Caelyn and her statement. Rethe had her eyes focused on the man as he spoke, though he avoided both hers and Thearl's looks. Before Thearl could respond in any way to what Bacall was saying, Rethe laid a gentle restraining hand on his arm and looked into his eyes.

"Be professional, Thearl," she whispered. "Nothing personal can come into this meeting." She squeezed his arm in reassurance and gazed into his eyes, trying to convey to him that whatever his decision was she would back him. Rethe was starting to get the impression that Thearl no longer agreed with Dwelian's claims. She didn't know what made him change his mind, but she would support him no matter what. Besides, both Caelyin's and Bacall's statements made sense. Rethe kept a hold of Thearl's hand, partly to show her support, and partly to keep him for doing anything he would regret.

[Edited on 16/12/2004 by Narbeleth]
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 03:06
Dwelian knew that he should probably speak, for everyone in the hall seemed to be shocked a this man's defense in the woman.

"It was not only the dismissal of gender. But also the dismissal of her rudeness in her opinion." He replied defending both his own and Thearl's reaction's to Caelyn's behaviour. "And I stand by what we said to her."

But then he nodded towards Bacall's statement. Everyone in the room was watching him, and wondering if anyone would reply to his statement. But Dwelian wanted to ask him one question.

"So you are saying that you have stayed with the elves of Mirkwood then?"
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 08:27
Thearl sat down when he finished speaking, hoping that the short speech he had just given would bring back the order to the Council, but his hope was gone as soon as it appeared, since Bacall stood up in the woman's defence. Why did they have to mention this woman again? What was enough was enough...

Plus Thearl was confused by Devin's words. What did his friend mean now? What was he apologising for? For accepting the apology for Caelyn's behaviour? That was getting ridiculous... Thearl knew he was not going to say anything further on the matter, he just wanted to bring the Council back to order, and that was all. Because if people would be impolite to one another, then the point of the entire Council would be gone. This should have been done by the Mayor, but as usual, his father rarely acted when things were going out of control.

And now Bacall left his hiding place to defend the woman. He had known that his friend would not be able to stop himself from speaking, and Thearl in fact was waiting for Bacall to speak, since he was the only person who could give some reasonable explanation about the elves and their ways. He was focused on Bacall, so when Rethe put her hand on his arm, she was able to catch him off guard. Thearl looked up at his sister, glad to find out that she supported him. But he could see something else in her gaze, a plea. She wanted to stop him from attacking Bacall. The words that she said soon after only confirmed his assumption. “Don't worry, my little sister, I won't do anything I could regret later...“ he whispered to reassure her. And he was not going to attack Bacall here in public, he would deal with the man later, when they were both alone. Right then he was just listening closely to what Bacall had said, and then to Dwelian's question. Then he looked at Bacall to see what answer he would give...
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 08:53
Bacall stiffened at the question Dwelian posed to him. It was the one weak point in his whole defense of the elves. He took a slow inward breath as a long pause lingered in the quiet hall and all eyes were on him. There was no hiding now even in the shadowed corner of the hall.

"I must speak in all honesty. No, never before have I entered into the Mirkwood and dwelt among the Woodland Firstborns in their own land. My duties have never required me to make such a voyage." a mumble broke out among the people, and Bacall rose his voice to quickly add, "However, I have met countless Mirkwood elves during my visits to other realms and other councils that I have attended and brought word to. But just because I have never dwelt fully among them does not mean that their conduct in their homeland would be any different then that in the lands of their own kin. I have been among Rivendell elves, Mithlond elves, Lorien elves, and elves of smaller lands not well known to the ears of men, and all have acted in similar manner toward myself and all others I have seen them with. Why then should the Mirkwood elves be any different in their homeland then they are elsewhere?" He was now addressing the whole group before him, "This claim of mine is of firsthand experience, not the claims of an unamed source spoken secondhand. This is my honest word, a son of this city and one of the more traveled souls in this room; elves know and show only kindness and gentility toward everything. Never have they shown hostility toward anyone, so long as they were not delt in hostile ways first. It is not in their ways to make a first attack, and especially not against something held in such high regard as nature is to them." He hoped that his statement was convincing, but he doubted that Dwelian would allow the people to disregard the fact that he had never been a guest in Mirkwood, and he tried to prepair himself for any defense he might be forced to mount in favor of his word.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 03:07
Dwelian allowed Bacall to finish before he spoke again.

"Yes, but you haven't ever stayed with them." A number of people started to nod in agreement, while others were not so interested in being convinced.

"You fight with the argument that the elves of Mirkwood must be kind, because all of the other Elves that you have stayed with are. But; I ask you this. Do the Elves of Rivendell live in a dark dreary wood such as they do? Do the elves of Lorien have giant spiders surrounding them? The Elves of Mirkwood must have pretty strong means of keeping such beasts at bay, unless they control the fowl creatures..."

"But Bacall here, although he may have met the Elves of Mirkwood outside of their home, how can he be sure what they are really like in their own environment? Will you pardon the elves of Mirkwood just because their kin are well behaved? It is a long way between Mirkwood and Lorien, and I have no doubt that both realms are very different indeed, including their elves. The elves of Mirkwood have reason to be different due to the terrible things that surround them; which may be another reason why they are after new and safer lands that are within their grasp."

Dwelian seemed to have left half of the crowd verging onto his side, while the others were still against his views.
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 10:29
((So sorry everyone, I had no idea everyone was waiting for me. Also, just a quick note, I will be gone from Jan 1st through the 9th on an out of state trip with my college swim team.))

Bacall stiffened, now enraged at the talk-abouts that Dwelian was putting him through. "There is a distance, yes. And the realms of Lorien and Mirkwood differ greatly, of that I will agree. However, is there not greater distance between Lorien and that in Rivendell? Almost twice as far in fact, and even greater to Mithlond in the West." He paused, "Yet, I have been a guest in all of those houses, the secluded sea-elves of the West, the elves of the mysterious Golden-Wood, and the peaceful elves of the river valley. All of these elves and lands differ greatly, but each still lives in the same peace and love with nature. They are different yet still the same."

His voice rose, "So if so many are so similar, why then would it be right to think that Mirkwood might be an exception to all the others? I believe that your way of thinking is backward sir. Though we have no account of Mirkwood elves in their own realm, we have accounts of Mirkwood elves in other realms as well as accounts of the elves of those other numerous realms; and, seeing as they are all so similar, why would it be valid to think Mirkwood could be different?"

Bacall lifted his chin slightly as a sly smirk crept to his face, "An even more important fact to be pointed out is perhaps that you have offered no proof as of yet to point to the contrary. I ask you, have you ever been a guest in an elvish household? Do you know the elves of Mirkwood? And perhaps most importantly, do you have any proof of your own to suggest that it is them besides the secondhand account of a still faceless man who you claim is a son of this city? I may have my own experiences in other elvish lands, but even that is stronger then your secondhand claims from one who you say is afraid to be revealed. Why should any citizen of this city be aftaid to come forward and give their own first hand account? As I remember, we are all great friends here, and never have any men of this land been afraid to come forward with such vital infomation of their own."

He looked about, "Perhaps this faceless source is just a man's way of justifying his own false claims on the situation, though why anyone would wish to start a pointless fued between neighbors is beyond me."

Bacall's words struck home, just as he hoped they would, and suddenly all attention was back on the man at the head of the room. All were waiting to see how Dwelian would respond to Bacall's questions and accusations. Though his face was solid, Bacall's eyes were alight, for he could sense a moment of...was it panic, hesitation...in Dwelian; however, deep down he hoped that Dwelian had a weak reply because Bacall was now at a loss for how to further defend his point, all that could be hoped for was another to voice his own thoughts, for Bacall could currently think of no more to say.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 07:09
Dwelian was irritated by his ask for evidence, and he was unsure to how long he could hold the actual presentation of it off. The whole room was now looking at him, and he had to think quickly on what to say first.

"You ask why any citizen of this city should be afraid to come forward to give their view on the matter. Well, if what they have seen and learnt about the elves of Mirkwood is true, then they most certainty all have reason to hide." He turned to the crowd, for Bacall no longer seemed to have an argument left in him.

"If you saw such things as I have described happening, then would you not be afraid?”
A few heads nodded, but then the hall fell to silence again. “But as this does not seem to be the argument here that has need to be revised, I will move on to this mans accusation of my own beliefs. I don't know if any of you heard, but Bacall has now accused me of stirring up trouble when my primary interest is and will always be for the well-being of this town."

"I am not just saying that as the elves live in a completely different and dangerous realm to their kin they are evil; I am just simply reminding you all that as their is actually no first hand evidence to suggest that they are as kind in their own home as they are anywhere else, we can assume that they may not be as kind as their kin. There is nothing to suggest that there is, and not much to suggest that there isn't; therefore we must look at both possibilities."

Thankfully for Dwelian, the crowd now seemed too involved in what he was actually saying to worry about the presentation of evidence. He was sure that he had managed to dodge the request once again through giving complicated sentences that you needed to think about to understand. "We all hear what Bacall is saying, but if these elves are so kind and in tune with nature, then why have they not offered to help this town through the blight?"
There was a murmur of realisation and discussion as he said this, as the town's people realised that they could have or should have had help from the elves.

Dwelian watched the crowd, now expecting someone else to stand up and either agree, or to dismiss his ideas and ask once again for evidence. He still had many ideas in his mind, so either one would make no difference to him.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 02:28
Rethe wanted so much to stand up and say something, anything. She saw exactly how Dwelian had avoided answering Bacall's request for proof. She wanted to defend Bacall if nothing else. Why was Dwelian being so difficult? If he had proof like he claimed, why wasn't he showing it?

Rethe glanced at Thearl, wondering if he would speak, but it took her no longer than a second to understand that he wasn't ready to speak yet. She glanced at Andy also, but he was still sitting with his head bowed, looking like he would say nothing through the whole meeting. Rethe sighed, wishing she could encourage Bacall. But she could not go to him, and he would probably not appreciate it even if she could.

Rethe's thoughts were interrupted by a voice that had already spoken once.

"Pardon me," Réman said, standing up again. "I know I have already spoken, and I apologize if I am now out of turn. But, sir, I could not help but notice how you completely ignored this man's request for proof. Regardless of the nature of elves, be they from Mirkwood or Rivendel, there is still no proof they did anything. And I agree with this man, here. Where is this person who claims to have seen elves in his field? Why would he not wish to defend his own story? It sounds very suspicious to me, as if this person does not even exist. Why don't you answer this man's question?" Réman asked, gesturing to Bacall, at the same time he gave Bacall a short, encouraging nod. Then he turned back to Dwelian. "Do you or do you not have proof? And if you do, then show it to us!" Réman finished, but still remained standing, waiting for Dwelian's answer.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 06:06
Dwelian froze, but he kept his expression neutral. The only way to get out of this would be to give up the evidence right now, and surely the time was right to do so. But he had a feeling that he should wait longer, so as not to give reason to suspect that the evidence may be a fake.

He took a deep breath and was about to speak when the hall's attention was averted to none other than Dugan, who had just that moment, stood up.

"Evidence," He asked the faces who were now looking at him. "You ask this man for evidence and are not willing to take his views seriously until you see it?" He sighed heavily. "I would have thought that you all would have been grateful enough just to have some help."

He looked down at his daughter, who was making herself as inconspicuous as possible.

"And you doubt his words on these men who have failed to come forward themselves. Well, I know one of them very well, I know who he is and that he did see those elves in his field that night. Can you not trust my word if you fail to trust his?"

There was an outbreak of whispers, only silenced when he spoke again.

“We cannot afford to wait any longer on our actions… I know that you all can see how ill some of us are, many of us cannot last much longer… While one of us has already passed on into the next world…” He looked down for a moment and then up at Dwelian; who seemed distant from the room for a second. But a small nod to Dugan and a small thankful smile let him know how grateful he was for his support. Thankfully, no one else in the room saw this for their eyes were still on Dugan, whose daughter Mistel was now in silent tears.

Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 09:13
"We all hear what Bacall is saying, but if these elves are so kind and in tune with nature, then why have they not offered to help this town through the blight?"
There was a murmur of realisation and discussion as he said this, as the town's people realised that they could have or should have had help from the elves.

Bacall scoffed and shook his head silently at this claim from Dwelian. It appeared as if the man knew nothing at all of the elves, for if he did, he would know why they did not offer aid. Bacall knew, the elves were of the state of remaining as neutral in most matters for the simple fact that if they came to help in times of great need, then the race of men would never be able to look after themselves and would always look to the magic of the Firstborns to quickly overcome their hardship. Bacall knew that the elves would not always be on this earth, and for the good of mankind, they chose not to help so that men did not grow dependent and forget how to strive and overcome all on their own.

Bacall expected the townsfolk not to know such a thing, but for a more traveled man as Dwelian claimed to be, he most certainly should have known that. But before anymore could come from his lips, Réman rose again and the demand for proof was again brought before the seemingly reluctant man. Bacall's lips turned up as he waited to see just how long Dwelian would try to avoid the topic of proof.

Then another man rose, and by his words, Bacall assumed him to be Dugan whose wife had died recently from weakness as a result of so little food. Bacall felt for this man, and knew slightly of the pain he was in because of his own situation with his sister. He also agreed with the last words he said, but was compelled to speak again to Dugan.

"The call for evidence is being made for the simple fact that no action can be taken unless their is indisputable proof that the elves are the cause. We cannot agree to go attack anyone for justification unless we have reason." He paused, his tone was level and sympathetic to Dugan, "Yes, our time grows short, and we will not live much longer if this is not brought to an end. I believe most of us here know of the loss of which you speak, and I tell you that I am now where you once were as my own sister has fallen ill from weakness. Believe that I would do anything to end this and make her well again and spare any others from going through such pain. But tell me, is it more wise to rush into action with vengeance and no proof beyond simple claims and risk the possible loss of other lives through pointless opposition that will leave us no better off then we currently are; or should we know beyond a shadow of a doubt who we must oppose before taking further steps even if it means the sad loss of a few innocents and the ultimate saving of many more?"

He looked about, "I am not saying I am not in favor of action against a guilty party for our current state, and if it can be proved indefinitely that the elves are the cause, then I will surely be willing to try to do something about it. I do not want my sister to linger in this state and die, not in the least. I only contend that through experience I find it near impossible to believe the elves capable of such deeds. Show me a solid reason to believe it so, and will surely rally to the cause to put an end to it."
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 08:37
Thearl was unable to hide a quiet gasp of surprise when Bacall spoke up once again. It took much of Thearl's self control not to stand up and say a few words of bitter truth to his friend who betrayed him no later than today. Thearl repeated to himself, that this was not the right time to deal with his friend, nor the place, but Bacall seemed to have decided to try his hardest to see how much patience Thearl had. Every word spoken by the man was stinging Thearl, telling him: “Here I am, I'm not hiding, I'm not afraid...and you are...“ in a small annoying voice chanting these words in his head.

“No,” Thearl murmured softly, massaging his temples with one of his hands for a quick moment before realizing what he was doing and stopping abruptly. He could feel a worried look Rethe and Andy gave him, and if he only could, he would have left the Council right then, without thinking about anything else. He was tired, and emotionally spent, why had he come in the first place? But even as he asked himself this question, he knew the answer. It was his sense of duty that made him come, he knew that those people were counting on him, and he was not going to disappoint them.

He had to hold on just a little more, he told himself, this council was not going to last much longer. Thearl was concentrated on stopping himself from attacking Bacall, and so coming to Dwelian's aid, so hard that he could barely focus on Bacall's words. It seemed that betraying him made Bacall really talkative today, Thearl could not help but think. If this day could have been getting any worse, it was right now...

So far Thearl had been only listening to others speaking, but slowly began to understand that time for him to speak was coming soon, very soon. So far he had been listening to Dwelian's answers given to those who had spoken, and his keen mind was making mental notes on all the small things he could use against Dwelian. He was regretting that some of the men who spoke had been not paying enough attention to Dwelian's speeches to catch those things and then use them. All of them were calling for proof from the very beginning, but were not explaining why the things Dwelian said were wrong. They said they were wrong and that was it, but it would not be enough to convince people, and Thearl knew this. He knew that the people of this town were honest, and told their opinions in a simple way. But this was not a way in which they could win with Dwelian, not at all. Dwelian was an artist of words. He had a good, convincing voice, and was giving his arguments in an interesting way, making them seem right, and intelligent. If he had no argument, then he was using confusing sentences and words, that people had to focus to understand them, only to come to a conclusion in the end, that they must have missed the real point of what Dwelian wanted to tell. Of course at least a few people could notice this for what it was, Thearl included. But for the majority of the men in this town, Dwelian was telling the truth. They believed Dwelian, and Thearl could see this. And this was his task, to try and use his own authority to influence his fellow inhabitants, or their case would be lost.

And Thearl knew that this was what he was supposed to do here, but... but it was so tempting at the moment to stand up and oppose Bacall. He knew he could think of something which would be a good argument against what his friend was saying, and when everyone focused on listening to the actual argument, he knew that Bacall would have understood what was this all about. This thought was tempting, and even coming up with such an idea made Thearl feel slightly better. But even before he could focus on an argument he could use, he knew that he would not do something like that no matter what. The issue that was being discussed during the Council was too important for the Town, and his view could not be influenced by personal antipathies or feelings. But then, as soon as he thought this, Thearl caught himself almost laughing... was this not the reason why he was opposing Dwelian in the first place?

Now, that was enough of time wasted on thinking. Bacall had stopped talking, and Thearl wanted to use this space of time before Dwelian presented the proof or admitted that he did not have one, to summarize some things and to tell a few others. Now that he though of the things he had to tell, he realized that he should have spoken earlier, but now there was nothing he could do about it. He could feel that Rethe and Andy were still looking at him, most likely worried by his absent look, but now he had come back. He flashed a quick smile at his sister, squeezing her hand gently, and then he stood up. He did not even have to clear out his throat, since everyone had their attention focused on him already.

“The answer to the question why the elves have never come to our rescue is very simple,“ Thearl began, speaking slowly and loud enough for everyone to hear him easily. He decided to begin with it, since Bacall did not give any explanation in his speech, and this accusation left unanswered would give a good point for Dwelian. “We have never asked them for help. We have never sent an envoy to the elves asking them to help us in the times of Blight. I know that Mr. Dwelian might not be aware of this fact, and some of you seemed to have forgotten about it, but about two years ago a council similar to this one took place. A council, where we were wondering if we should ask for help from the elves of Mirkwood, and decided against it. We have decided against it. And therefore it cannot be held against the elves that they did not help us, since they probably have even no idea what is going on here, in Esgaroth.“ Thearl paused, looking around the hall and seeing people nodding in agreement to his words. They knew that Thearl was right, and those who had forgotten about the council, now that they had been reminded of it, could not help but agree as well.

“But as I am already speaking, I wanted to say a few more things, if you allow me,“ he said, looking at the people. ”As Mr. Dwelian said so many times before himself, he is not from this town as all of us are, and he is not a part of our community. Therefore we should be grateful for Dwelian taking his time to think about possible reasons of the Blight and his readiness to offer some solutions to the problem.“ In answer to his words some people clapped, and some bowed their heads to thank Dwelian. Thearl was silent for a moment, not interrupting, and thinking about what he was going to say next. He knew that some of the present could be wondering what was the point of telling all these nice words to Dwelian, when everybody knew that Thearl was going to oppose him. But Thearl himself knew, that it was important. Casting direct accusations under Dwelian's address, rudeness, and demanding of Dwelian to show the proof- this all was making people feel sorry for Dwelian. They could feel that Dwelian was under attack, and that was making them feel, that maybe he was right, if others were attacking him in such a desperate way. And this was not the right way, Thearl knew. He was no orator himself, but he could easily feel how the crowd felt like. And the discussion was not about the truth, because he knew that all the citizens of Esgaroth were telling the truth, but about the way in which the arguments were introduced. This was all what mattered, and not who was right or wrong.

Finally, after a moment, when all the voices were silent again, Thearl spoke up again. “Now, you know me. I have always been honest with you, and I will also be now. What I am going to tell you is my opinion, which I believe is true, though it might also prove to be wrong if I see any evidences or things that will make me see that I have made a mistake.“ The man paused for a moment, and he could feel people looking expectantly at him. He knew that they wanted to hear what he thought, and he also knew that what he was going to say would influence most of these people's choices. That was making him feel proud, but he was also aware of great responsibility that he was going to take for his words. “Well, I say that I don't agree with Mr. Dwelian. I don't think that the elves of Mirkwood are responsible for the Blight, and I have several reasons why I say so.“

“First of all, I believe Bacall. He has met many elves in his life, and the elves of Mirkwood among the others, and I don't see any reason why they should act differently outside of their kingdom, and much worse when they are home. I also can't agree with a statement that one of the reasons for the elves to cause the Blight is the fact that they are looking for new and safer lands. They have been living in the heart of Mirkwood for ages uncounted, and they have never tried to get new lands. They love their woods, and I'm sure if they needed some more place to build their houses, they would choose lands that are close to their Halls. Besides, they can't possibly be looking for new, better lands, since their own are very good...so that couldn't be a reason...“

“And now, there is one more thing I wanted all of you to think about.“ Everyone's attention focused back on Thearl, since everyone wanted to know what they were supposed to think about. “Just try to imagine, or speak from your experience if you have ever been to a foreign land or town other than Esgaroth. While you were there, did you act different than you do here, at home? Did you act or behave better than you do in Esgaroth? Did you behave different after coming back here? Worse? I think that everyone will shake their heads in answer,“ Thearl said confidently, and in fact many persons shook their heads without even realizing what they were doing. “So I hope now you see how absurd the claim that the elves of Mirkwood act different while they are outside their kingdom and different while they are at home is.“ People nodded their heads in agreement, because now that Thearl gave an example to them, the claim that the elves of Mirkwood act differently at their home and differently outside of it seemed to be really absurd. And it was surprising how they could believe in something like that just a few minutes before...

“And last, but not least, I think it will not be a surprise, if I ask you, Dwelian, to show a proof to us, if you have one. And then we will see, if there is something to discuss about or not,“ Thearl said, finishing his talk for now, and sitting down in his chair, waiting for what was to come next.
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 10:23
(Back to the elvish feast in Mirkwood. This co-post was by Aerhíril and myself)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once Rainuial and Raniean were thoroughly engaged in conversation with one another, Aerandir excused himself and made toward the wandering Aerhíril , "Suilad, " he said in greeting upon reaching her, "I see you have returned from Rivendell. How fair you this magical night mellon nin?"

"I am very well," Aerhíril smiled. "I looked for you earlier but I could not find you. How have you been?" She asked.

"I am well." he smiled, "Kept very busy as usual. I returned this morning from a day and a half of being at the borders and not long after my return I was called to oversee the preparations for this tonight." He lifted his arms and gestured about, "How did I do?" he jested, "Would you like a drink, or a dance perhaps?" he asked.

"I would love a dance with the elf that prepared such a wonderful feast." Aerhiril grinned. "You did very well."

“I really didn’t have that much to do with it honestly, it was all under control by the time I arrived.” Aerandir explained, offering his hand and sweeping Aerhíril onto the floor and into his arms for a dance. "Have I told you how lovely you look?" he asked, "I love the feast times when all the brilliant colors emerge on our kinsmen. It should happen more often."

"Yes it should." Aerhíril smiled and blushed slightly at the compliment. "You do look lovely yourself though." She replied as she moved closer to Aerandir to dance.

Aerandir smiled at the compliment, "So," he inquired, "how fairs our kinsmen in Imladris?"

"He is well, but very busy as usual. I managed to convince him to visit us in Mirkwood though," Aerhiril smiled. "he should be here any day now!"

"Coming here?" Aerandir was shocked, then he smiled smugly, "I should not be surprised. You always have had wonderful methods of persuasion." he laughed, "Well that is good to hear."

Aerhíril laughed. "Yes," They continued to dance around the hall. "He is looking forward to seeing you all again. But I had to persuade his father more than I had to persuade him."
Aerandir sighed, it had been too long since he had traveled that far to Rivendell, and he missed the beauty of the city. The current song was drawing to a close, and Aerandir scanned the room realizing that the meal was about to begin. He looked at Aerhíril, "Would you permit me to be your escort the remainder of this night?" he asked, "You can join me at the head table where the captains have seats saved for them."

"I would love for you to be my escort, if of course it is no trouble." She replied as she looked where his eyes were. Elves were gathering around the tables.

"Not at all." Aerandir replied, "It would be an honor to have such a dear and lovely friend on my arm this evening. Come." he offered his arm and the two headed toward the tables.
Aerhiril smiled as she joined arms with her friend and they moved towards the tables. She let Aerandir lead the way to their seats as she had never sat with the captains before. She could already smell the sweet scent of the food in the air, it smelt delicious. Aerandir led the way through the crowd to the side of the table for the captains and their escorts. Where the royal family sat at the King's right hand, the leaders of the armies sat at his left. Aerandir pulled out a chair for Aerhíril and helped her settle into it before taking his own seat. The smell of good food came from the kitchen as the servants brought out large covered platters.

When the food started to arrive, Aerhiril remembered why she loved Mirkwood's feasts so much. It was not just because of the dances, clothes or music, but the food was always lovely no matter what the occasion was. She smiled happily as the platters were placed on the table, and everyone around her looked just as thrilled with the feast as she was.

After all the food was set upon the tables, King Thranduil rose and lifted his hands. A hush fell over the room, and the King's voice rose in welcome. He spoke words about the coming of fall and the celebration and honor before he bid everyone eat. The lids were removed from the platters, revealing the mountains of delicious food hidden beneath. Once the food was revealed, they all started to eat savoring every mouthful of the delicious food. With the combination of the fruity wine and rich meals, soon the elves were becoming very merry indeed, and a song even broke out further down the table. Slightly amused by this, Aerhíril watched the singing elves before she turned back to aerandir to talk to him again. "So, has anything else interesting happened while I was gone?"

Aerandir swallowed the meat in his mouth and shook his head, "Not much honestly. It's been very quiet around here lately." He thought for a moment if there was anything he should tell her about, "I helped with the first few days of new soldiers, you know how much fun it is to watch the new elflings who are just beginning." He chuckled at the thought.

Aerhíril smiled. "It sounds like fun. I should like to see it someday."

Aerandir nodded, "I would be happy to bring you along when the next group begins. However, it won't be for a few months at least."

"I won't mind the wait." Aerhiril smiled as she finished off her plate. The food of Mirkwood was rich and filling, and little was needed for a good meal. Many other elves had also finished, and now only had their drinks to fill in any empty gaps in their appetite. "I wonder if there will be another dance after feast?" Aerhíril said to Aerandir as he too was eating the last of his meal.

"I am sure there should be. And perhaps some singing as well. I have not been informed of the entertainment for the evening, but a few songs by our kin would not surprise me in the least." Aerandir commented. He leaned back in his chair, content and full of the fine foods. In his hand, he swirled a glass of sweet, red wine, the perfect dessert to such a fine meal. He looked about at the joyful faces and could not help but smile as he waited for the next part of the evening to begin.

Soon the servants reappeared to clear the table, and the King stood to announce the next event. Faces lit up in delight when they found that it was time for singing, and many elves had already volunteered to perform. When the plates were all gone the band retuned to their instruments and Aerhiril grinned at Aerandir knowing that he would enjoy the songs as much as she would.

Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 11:18
“I thank you for your recognition of my attempt to help, Thearl. I also give thanks to everyone who has been so supportive.” He said as he watched Thearl return to his seat, and then bow his head slightly in answer to Dwelian's words.

"And as you have asked me for evidence, I shall gladly present it to you.”

Dwelian reached into his pocket slowly and then withdrew his hand with a small package clasped in it. He held it up and allowed the cloth that covered the item to unravel forcing him to catch the item with his other hand as it fell from the cloth. Soil fluttered from it and landed softly on the table before him, so he dropped the cloth on the table with it.

Every face in the hall was straining to see what he held in his hand.

“As you can see, I have not messed with this in the slightest, not even to clean it. It was found only recently and so I ask you to keep an open mind when we discuss it. I have already done this, and decided on the view that I have presented to you.”

“This,” he began. “I know to be an Elven broach, and I am sure that even Bacall here would be so kind to agree with me.” The room turned to see his reaction, but as soon as Dwelian spoke again they all turned back to look at him.

“This broach, for those who cannot see it;” he held it up in the air. “Is crafted to be in the design of a beech tree leaf; a tree greatly loved by Mirkwood elves. The colour is dark green, and the outline seems to be rimmed with gold… and it was found in the same field where the farmer saw those beings that night.”

Almost every person in that hall broke into surprised or confused gasps and whispers as Dwelian told them this. But Dwelian could see, that Thearl was already going to reject the brooch as the proof. His eyes were narrowed slightly, betraying that he was ready to speak up as soon as he only decided that the right time had come.

“If anyone would like to see this broach for them selves, then please don’t hesitate to ask.” He waited to see who would be the next to stand up.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 02:49
Rethe leaned forward slightly, trying to see the broach clearer. She glanced up at Thearl, wondering what his reaction was. She had been a little surprised that he had opposed Dwelian so fully. But whatever his reasons, Rethe would support him. She did not know enough about the whole situation yet to form her own opinion, and she knew that Thearl would do the right thing, and what he said made sense anyway.

Rethe glanced at Andy, and this time the man was not sitting with his head bowed as he had been through the whole meeting. Now he was also leaning forward slightly, his brow creased, as if debating with himself in his mind. Andy glanced at Thearl once, trying to see what the younger man thought. Neither made a move to look at the broach closer. But Rethe wanted to. She had never seen an elven object before, but she has always been curious about the elves. She stood up slightly, leaning forward with her hand out towards Dwelian.

"Pardon me," she said softly, humbly, not meeting Dwelian's eyes. "May we take a closer look at it?"
kellymulder
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 02:07
Caelyn sat down, her fists clutchedd to her side. She was shaking with anger. They had treated her like... like a woman she thought. Caelyn took a few deep breaths and then focussed her attention on the discussion. She was very surprised Bacall agreed with her, but yet very happy. He was a man... they would listen to him.

She followed the speeches with interest and was happy to hear that she was not the only one who didn't agree on Dwelian's ideas.

She couldn't see the evidence Dwelian showed as she was too far away but still Caelyn wasn't convinced by it, it could be found anywhere. Though she wasn't going to speak.... oh no... She had learned from her 'fault', she just sat and hoped that someone else would voice her doubts.

Devin sighed relieved when he saw that Caelyn sat down, he was happy she didn't start the discussion again. She had caused enough damage already...

He listened to the conversations and soon he didn't know what to think anymore, both sides had good arguments, both sides seemed to be right. He found it very interesting to hear other opinions but he saw that Thearl; who sat two seats away from him, was annoyed. Devin remembered their earlier converstation and wondered when he was going to speak. He had expected him to speak earlier.
But then he saw his friend rise and speak and when he was finished Devin knew Thearl was right; he couldn't see how Dwelian was going to answer it...

When Dwelian hold up his evidence Devin stretched his neck to see it but he found himself not totally convinced with it. He didn't know why; there was something not right about it though he couldn't figure out what it was...
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 04:33
"Pardon me," she said softly, humbly, not meeting Dwelian's eyes. "May we take a closer look at it?"

"Of course," Dwelian replied. He leant over the table and handed the small broach to Rethe, taking care not to remove the dirt and dust that still lay on it. Rethe took it from him, and began to look at it intently.

Once he had handed it over, he stood up straight again. "Anyone who wishes to look at it may; but we just must be careful not to damage it."
All eyes were now on Rethe, who held the broach in her hand.
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 08:11

Thearl looked at his sister when she stood up and asked Dwelian to show her the broach. He was glad that she did that, because he could and would not ask to see it, and this way he could take a look at it when it rested in Rethe’s hand. The man watched carefully the manner in which Dwelian answered his sister, and gave the broach to her. And luckily for Dwelian, it was very polite. Then Thearl withdrew his attention from Dwelian to look at Rethe, or rather at the broach she held in her hand.

It seemed to be elven, and was covered in dirt and mud, which confirmed Dwelian’s story about finding it in the field. Thearl had to admit that Dwelian must have had an incredible amount of luck if he had found such a small item in such a large field. Especially since some time had passed from the time when the elves had been in that field, if they ever had. So the real question should not be about the proof, since the broach was definitely elven. Thearl himself had never seen an elven item before, but he knew that Dwelian would not risk showing a fake elven broach in front of Bacall, he was too clever to do that...

And so, after reaching this conclusion, Thearl was sure that the right question to pose was not about the broach and its authenticity, but if the story Dwelian was trying to make them believe was real. And Thearl had some doubts about it. First of all, if Dwelian had the broach all the time, then why had he not shown it to him in the morning when he had asked? Why would he risk facing trouble Thearl could make during the council? For what reason? But there was one good explanation to it. Namely, Dwelian could not have shown him the proof if it had not existed in the morning. And that would explain everything. Besides, Thearl did not think that a broach, real or not, was enough of a proof to attack the elves. And apart from this, he was finding it hard to believe that if the elves had really come to the fields to cast the curse, they would have been as careless as to leave such an evident proof of their doings. Of that he was sure, especially since everybody said how clever the elves were. So this was not possible...

[Edited on 7/1/2005 by eireen]
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 01:27
((This is a short one co-written by me and eireen))

Rethe held the small object in her fingers and turned it over a few times, looking at all sides of it. It was dirty, as if just pulled out of a muddy field where it had lain for some time. Rethe had never seen an elvish object before, but she had to admit it looked very elvish to her. At least it didn't look like anything she had ever seen before. Rethe glanced up at Thearl and Andy, wondering what they would think of it. Andy actually stood up to take a closer look. Rethe looked down at Thearl, still sitting in his seat. She wondered what he thought of it, and so she brought it to him, holding it out for him to see.

Thearl was taken out of his thoughts by a hand with the broach that appeared in front of his eyes. On closer inspection, he discovered that the hand belonged to his sister, Rethe, who was looking at him expectantly, as if wondering what he thought of it. Thearl looked at the broach, but did not reach out to take it from Rethe. He had seen enough of it already, and besides, he could not get rid of some thoughts nagging on his mind. The item resting on Rethe's hand meant, that there was a possibility of Dwelian being right. He presented the evidence, just as Thearl had wanted. But... but there was one 'but' that did not give him rest. If Dwelian had had it earlier, then why would he not have shown it to him in the morning? And that made him very suspicious...

Thearl had been lost in his thoughts for about a minute, his face impenetrable, as he was seemingly staring at the broach sitting in Rethe's hand. Then he looked up at her, and on seeing that she waited for him to take it, he shook his head slightly. "I have seen enough of it already," he answered softly, telling his little sister silently to show it to Andy, who was obviously very keen to see the item. He knew she understood him, since Rethe knew his body language very well, and no words were needed between the two at most times.

Rethe nodded to Thearl, then turned to Andy. She handed the broach to him so he could see it closer. Andy turned the object over and over in his hands as he studied it. Even Arisan stood up to take a closer look. "How do we know it's actually elven?" the woman asked her father quietly. Andy just shook his head, then handed the broach back to Dwelian.

Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 05:19
Dwelian took the broach, and then placed it down on the table.

"If you have any doubts to whether it is elven or not, then I am sure that Bacall here will be able to tell you that it is authentic." The room turned to face Bacall, asking him to take a look at the Broach.

"Or, If anyone so wishes; then they may take a look at it." Dwelian looked around the crowd wondering who would decide to speak, and how the council would go from here.
Raynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 05:04
Throughout the meeting Athele tried not to look at Bacall, but she was curious about what his opinions were and who he would join if the council was divided. She was pleased to find that he did not much like Dwelian, or so she thought. Athele herself didn't really care one way or the other, until she saw him for the first time sitting there with old Dugan and Mistel. She instantly got a cold chill up her spine. She was not the best judge of character, but she knew without a doubt that she did not like him, he gave her the creeps.

Athele stood in silence. She had been thinking that Dwelian did not have proof. He had been putting it off and ignoring the outright plea for it to be shown, and she began to suspect that he was not telling the truth. But just as she thought that, he went and produced the proof. How authentic it was she could not guess, even if she was close enough to see it. She held her breath as Rethe examined the broach. While she waited, Athele caught a glance of herself in the window behind her, she put a hand to her cheek and felt a slight tenderness, but it was no longer in pain. She was right, there was a bruise, but smaller than she had guessed, covering the upper part of her cheek bone near her eye. Thankfully her hair could cover practically all of it. She just hoped Devin wouldn't see it, he had enough things to worry about.

Athele looked at Devin. She had spotted him early in the meeting, sitting next to Thearl and Rethe. He was paler than he was earlier and almost ill looking. 'He probably hasn't eaten today,' she thought, starting to get angry with him. He was a stupid, stubborn fool, without the brains that men were supposed to be blessed with. How could he possibly think Mother and she needed the food more than he did? They weren't the ones walking for miles, hunting or dragging a plow through dead fields for hours. All they did was prepare the small amount of food that came in. Now Athele was going to be helping out, but she did not need much food to stay alive. She needed to have another talk with him, and this time she would not let him get his way like he always did in the past. She wouldn't let his gender, height or cunning sway her. She was going to force him to eat, or else she would go on a fast herself, that should do the trick. Athele smiled when Dwelian suggested that Bacall could examine the broach and prove it's authenticity. She looked at Bacall expectantly, trying to hide her slight smile of admiration.
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 01:54
((I'm back!! Guess we are waiting for Bacall again.))

Bacall leaned his back against the wall as next events happened quickly. His mouth almost fell open when Thearl spoke his views and...defended...or at least agreed with Bacall. For some reason, after what had happened today, Bacall thought that maybe some reason Thearl would go against his earlier thoughts when they had spoken, and changed his opinion. He was pleased to be wrong.

Then Dwelian brought forth his "evidence". To it, Bacall almost scoffed out loud. The broach passed to a few hands, and then Dwelian made his comment about how Bacall could vouch its authenticity, and suddenly all eyes were on him again. Bacall's eyes were on Dwelian, a cold hard stare; and it even seemed to Bacall that there was amusement in the other man's eyes that he had finally managed to present something that could not be discarded, or maybe he was laughing silently at Bacall, maybe Bacall was just imagining the whole thing; either way, his eyes were only on Dwelian as he moved from the back of the room slowly and up to the front where the broach now lay on a table.

As he neared, his eyes went to the trinket, and he knew instantly that the item was indeed of elvish make, he had seen many craft of similar style. But he decided not to outright declare it yet. He took a few moments to look it over, maybe to catch something to disprove it, he didn't know. All eyes were on him, and there was no sound from anyone. After a bit, he gave a quiet sigh, "It's real, a truly authentic elven broach." He mumbled, "But what does this prove? Any elf friend could so have possession of such a trinket. I myself have many items similar to this, all gifts from those who have welcomed me at their table as a friend. Yes, it is elvish, but it could belong to any traveler or passerby who has been a guest in an elven house. Why, it could even be yours Dwelian, for all we know you could have been yourself in the company of elves on several occasions. This proves nothing to me." and with a wave of his hand, he disregarded the broach as evidence of any claims made by this man, and without another word, he moved to the back of the room and out through the door, fists clenched at his sides under his cloak, keeping his anger and desire to send Dwelian to the floor with a swift hit in check.

Outside, in the night air, he walked a ways from the hall to the barn next to it and slammed his fists hard on the wooden wall. His anger and disbelief that this stranger would come here and try to play off such a trick was beyond words. He was giving false hope to these people who had so long suffered. Bacall didn't know why he was trying to get these folk to raise an attack against the elves, but Bacall knew there was no truth to these claims, and he would never think otherwise. He wished nothing more then to head home and check on his sister who was under Barius' care, but he knew he could not leave not knowing where the townspeople would finally settle. With a sigh and a shake of his head, he turned and rested his back against the barn wall, head back, looking up at the sky, he prayed that they would not follow Dwelian. Then he hung his head and took slow deep breaths to calm his growing rage. He would slip silently back in shortly after his composure was in check.
Raynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 03:10
Athele felt like audibly agreeing with Bacall, but she didn't dare. She didn't fear that people would see her bruise, she knew that it would have been impossible to see in its location, between her eye and her ear. But she did not want the whole town wondering why 'little Athele' was not with her cousin and why she just now speaking out, when for twenty-six years she had remained quiet and meek.

When Bacall left the council, Athele had the urge to go after him. She didn't know why, she didn't even know him. He had been a man when she was a child, a young man but still a good deal older than she. But she wanted to know if he believed Dwelian was a liar, because she didn't know what to think. One moment she disliked Dwelian and the next it seemed that everything he said made sense.

Athele finally made up her mind and silently followed Bacall outside. She didn't know what to say to him when she saw him. After scanning the immediate area Athele's face dropped. 'Has he left?,' she thought, feeling disappointed. She finally spotted him leaning against a barn a short distance away. She knew he was probably trying to calm down. She hoped he wouldn't mind her coming and bugging him and asking him questions. She silently hoped he would speak first. 'You're a coward Athele,' she said to herself as she approached him.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 06:27
((Sorry it's shorter than usual.))

"Well, I have presented you all with evidence, evidence that was found in the fields. Would anyone else like to see the broach or state their point of view about it?" Dwelian asked now unsure of what else to say.Those who had been looking at Bacall, were now focused back on him, and each man, woman and child in there seemed to be thinking hard.

Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 08:56
Bacall stood with eyes to the ground, taking in calming breaths, but no matter what he did, he couldn't believe what was happening in there. In his own thoughts, he vagely became aware of two small feet that had appeared just at the top of his line of vision. Part of him wished away the intruder, but after a moment, he lifted his head to make out the maid in the darkness.

After a short period of taking in her appearance, Bacall recognized her as the maid who had stood in the shadows beside him before the meeting had begun. Her hair hung, hiding most of her face in shadow, but from what Bacall could see, he was struck by a familiar feeling. He didn't know who she was, and as to why she had chosen to join him now was beyond his comprehension.

He knew then that he would not bid her gone, and in a way, she helped him get his anger in check, because he did not want to lash out pointlessly at this unknown woman for no reason. He looked at her with questioning eyes and after a moment gave a half smile, "Are you tired of all that nonsense too?"
Raynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 10:49
Well here is another Athele post enjoy.

Athele smiled tentatively at Bacall. It was understandable that he did not remember her, since twenty years had passed since she had seen him with Thearl and Rethe when Rethe used to always tag along with the two boys.

"Well, it depends," she said in answer to his question. "Is it nonsense? I mean, I...uh, don't believe him, but..." Athele bit her lip, she didn't know what to say. "Do you think he is deliberately lying? Or maybe he's just offering an explanation?" She said as she came closer and looked into his eyes. She saw in them a man that wanted nothing more than to protect his family, town and friends. She had seen he still had that fire burning in his eyes that had died long ago in Athele's own townsmen and family.

But before he had a chance to speak she continued. "You know, this town has had nothing but sorrow and suffering these last four years. And I don't know what is going to happen, but I know this town needs good men like you, Bacall. Good men to defend her from evil men, or elves if it be them." She had the vague feeling that he did not need her encouragement. She smiled, wondering why he intrigued her so much.

[Edited on 14/1/2005 by Raynn]

[Edited on 14/1/2005 by Raynn]
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 01:45
Finally, after hearing Dwelian's words calling for anyone to speak their mind, Thearl decided that the time for him to speak up had finally come. He had no other choice, because Dwelian managed to make people believe that the elves were guilty. The broach seemed to have made people blind and their minds blank, making them take Dwelian's words for true. Thearl saw Bacall leaving, and sighed quietly. This was the easiest thing to do, to escape. He could not do the same thing, no matter how much he wanted to. He would just have to stay here until the end, then try to catch Athele, or ask Rethe to look for her friend, because he had to talk with the woman about Devin, since that matter was also very urgent. But right now he had to focus on what he was going to say...

Clearing his throat quietly, Thearl stood up. As soon as he did, silence fell over the hall, and probably every face turned to look at him. “I would like to speak my mind concerning the evidence, Dwelian, and I hope that you don't mind,“ he said calmly, his voice just loud enough for everyone to hear. When Dwelian nodded, Thearl took a deep breath, and began.

“We all have seen the proof Dwelian provided, the proof we asked him to show. And now, as I see, most of you are happy to see it, because it proves for us that the elves are guilty. That they have poisoned our fields and brought all the misery on our heads! If it was so, then we would know whom should we attack. We could have our old lives back, couldn't we?“ Loud murmurs of agreement could be heard. People were happy to see that Thearl was thinking just as they were. So now they would probably organise something and go and get rid of the problem for once and for all. And they really liked it.

Thearl allowed them to talk for a moment longer. He could feel the confusion of those few who hoped that Thearl would still be opposing Dwelian. Thearl nodded calmly, telling them without words not to worry. Because he might not know many things, but one he did know for sure. No matter what happened, he was not going to support Dwelian. Never.

After a moment he began to speak again, thus forcing the Hall to quieten down. “I'm sure that all of you know and remember the laws of this town,“ Thearl started, his voice calm and confident. ”But somehow we seem to have forgotten about them, lost in that discussion. So let me remind you one of the most important rights every being has...“ Thearl paused for a moment, allowing the meaning of his words to sink in. Then, when everyone was looking at him, wondering what he meant, Thearl picked up his little speech again. “Innocent until proven guilty, the law says. Innocent...“ he repeated the word to emphasize it even more. ”And that is what the elves of Mirkwood are. Innocent...“ Loud murmurs could be heard, and people were obviously not agreeing with Thearl, but still there were no shouts, or loud remarks, because people respected Thearl too much for that.

Finally a man with a white beard stood up and looked at Thearl with sympathy. “Thearl, young man, I think you have also lost yourself in the middle of this discussion. We have seen the proof, even Bacall said that this broach is a real elven broach. We have an authentic proof, that's all what counts! Now we should do something about it!“ he said, and a lot of men present in the Hall clapped their hands to show that they agreed with the old man.

“You're right that we were shown an authentic elven broach, with that I readily agree,“ Thearl answered softly. ”But I don't agree that this broach is any proof of the elves guilt. I don't...“

But before Thearl could continue, he was interrupted by the same old man who spoke up just a short moment ago.“Sorry to interrupt you, Thearl, but if the broach is not the proof, as you claim, then what is it, eh? What?“ Many people nodded their heads looking at Thearl.

Thearl took a deep breath, and then spoke up again. “The broach can't be a proof in our case. Look, if only elves wore the elven broaches, then the matter would be simple. Then the person who lost it would have to be an elf. But as it is, elven broaches are worn by many races...so even a men could have lost it...“ People were still not sure what they should think, and Thearl knew he had to say something to convince them, find an example to illustrate what he meant. And then the idea he had had earlier popped up in his mind again, and Thearl smiled slightly.

“Alright, look at it like this. I have a broach made in Rohan. So it's an authentic broach, and everyone who has ever been in Rohan would have to confirm it's authenticity, right?“ He paused, giving some time to the people to think it over, so that they could follow his way of thinking. When he saw that they understood everything so far, he continued. “And now imagine I was walking around the fields. And accidentally lost my broach. And then someone found it, and brought it here, to the Council. And what then?“ he stopped again, giving people some time to rethink the entire situation. And then he flashed a quick, almost imperceptible, smile, when he noticed people coming back to their senses. And he knew then that he had already won, that they would agree with him.

After a short moment, he carried on. “You would say that apparently people of Rohan are to be blamed for the Blight! Do you see how wrong this way of thinking is? We cannot think this way, not now, not ever!“ Some people nodded their head in agreement, others clapped their hands to show their approval. And no one spoke up this time to tell Thearl that he was wrong. He had convinced the people that he was right.

“So the elves of Mirkwood are innocent,” he said once again emphasizing his point, and added, “and will be considered innocent until someone is able to prove beyond any doubt their guilt...“ Then Thearl just sat down, waiting to see if Dwelian, or someone else would try to convince people that he was wrong.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email