Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Second War
on: February 06, 2005 07:39
It is the fourth age, the reign of King Aragorn is one of peace and prosperity for all in the realm. Osgiliath has been rebuilt as well as Minas Tirith, not just by the hands of men, but that of Dwarves and elves as well, restoring the towns to their former glory and richness. In the twenty years of rebuilding and calm, all of Middle Earth has lived in quiet prosperity, but peace was not to last. Although the evil of Sauron was undone, many of his minions were still at large. Further than Mordor is an unknown realm, full of mystery and unrest. Sauron's leadership over the people there has given rise to another foe. The Haradrim, Easterlings, Orcs and other such vile creatures still remember the defeat at the plains of Pelennor and the black gate, and there were still eight of the nine Nazgul roaming the lands. One other being was left, a minion that Sauron was afraid to release, for its power was terrible, and its temper uncontrollable. It is an ancient being, older even than the Balrog or Dragon, it is a Norgorlab, it is fueled by a hatred for all things pure, as it was born of a Liramlis, the opposite of a Silmaril. By Sauron's power it was bound in the heart of Mount Doom, sleeping until it could be released from its confines. Now, by its power, it has gathered a greater host of Orcs, Men, and other demons than that of Sauron, intent on destroying the heart of that which is purist among Middle Earth. With Legions of Haradrim, Orcs, Easterlings, Nazgul, Trolls and Balrogs, Inzilbase the Norgorlab sets out to destroy Minas Tirith, but, more importantly, Elessar, in which the spirit of purity is personified.

Tomakin was seated in a small pub near the outskirts of a town on the Gondorian/Mordorian border, enjoying a small meal of roast venison and bread. Unexpectedly an outpost rider from the post in Mordor stumbled and fell through the door, feathered with orcish and Haradrim arrows. All those in the pub jumped to their feet and helped the man onto a table. Many were the wounds on his body, and Tomakin was surprised that the man was still alive. The man gripped Tomakin's cloak and pulled him close to his face.

"A...great...host...marches...against...men. They...march...to...Minas...Tirith. Warn...the...King."

With that the man passed on, succumbing to his wounds. Tomakin stood, thinking quickly deciding the best course of action.

"Send a dispatch to Gondor. Tell them an army marches on the city. Raise the town and send riders to the other towns and raise them as well. I am going to go and see this army. Is there any brave enough to accompany me?"
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Second War
on: February 06, 2005 05:10
Samen heard these words but was hardly suprised. In twenty years he knew that something had to have been mounting. Besides Samen had been around these lands enough to know that something was going to happen. Standing up he spoke.
"I shall ride with you for I have long desired to see what spawn of Mordor believes that they can conquer the city of Men."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 06:36
"Of this I too would like to know, for there has been too little news of the movements of Orcs. Some of these arrows are Haradrim, for I know too well their markings having too narrowly escaped those skilled archers." Tomakin went to the now dead rider and pointed at one of the more skillfully crafted arrows. "Although these differ slightly from those fired in the battle of Pelennor. These seem to have a tounge of blue fire where the red eye used to be."

Tomakin broke off one of the ends to examine it more closely. Surely enough, there was a blue flame on the shaft, but there was something hidden in the flame that Tomakin could not make out. Lowering the arrow from his gaze, Tomakin glanced at the one who called himself Samen.

"There is something inside the flame on this arrow, I cannot make it out clearly, maybe you could see it better," with that he tossed the shaft to Samen. "Where is this scout's horse? There may yet be more clues to be found with it as well."

Tomakin looked at Samen, who was examining the broken shaft, and decided to wait and see what this curious fellow had to say.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 01:57
Samen recognized this symbol. It conjured up old memories. Bad memories. He held the arrow so tightly it snapped in his hands and he looked up to the man.
"Where did you find this?" he said.
"Towards the East," Tomakin said. "There is rumor of a haradrim host there.:
"I'm gonna pay them a visit." said Samen. He grabbed his long leather jacket and threw it on as he walked out of the inn, fire in his eyes, with his long coat trailing behind him.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 10:24
Tomakin watched as the man took off out of the Pub, puzzled at the violent expression he was giving. Quick to follow suit, Tomakin grabbed his leather jerkin and cloak off the table and exited as well.

"Not so hasty friend. We still need to examine the dead scout's horse, and may I enquire what it was that you saw in the flame?"

Samen stopped and was just silent, one hand on the horn of his saddle. Finally, Samen looked at Tomakin, bracing himself to speak. But before he had a chance to exhale the words, a man came running up with a horse.

"This horse was found just outside the inn, we think it may be the scout's."

Tomakin took hold of the pony's reigns and thanked the man. Looking at Samen, they both started to rummage through the saddle bags.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 01:44
"I have history with that insignia," said Samen as he was going through the saddlebags.
"What kind of history?" asked Tomakin.
"They're a vicious band of Haradrim, the elite. Only the oliphaunt riders coud match them in skill and cruelty. They are the worst humans who walk the earth."
"How do you know this?" asked Tomakin.
Samen pulled up his sleeve and showed Tomakin a tatoo that was identical to the insignia on the arrow. "Because I used to be one of them."
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 05:52
((May I join this thread?))

A tall, slender elf wearing a dark blue tunic over black leggings approached the two men outside the pub. Patting the horse's nose as he walked around the steed to confront the two, he bowed his head in greeting. Staring for a long moment at Samen, he spoke quietly.

"Forgive me for interrupting your discussion but I may know something of the men behind this deed. But allow me to introduce myself first. My name is Calenhenevor. I have spent the past 40 years at the side of my kin working on the rebuilding of Minas Tirith but I have just returned from a mission to Mirkwood. Along the way, I heard many rumors of a new evil rising far to the northeast, beyond Mordor's borders. I would like to travel with you wherever your search takes you as I have been to that land in the distant past and could perhaps be of service to you."

He stood quietly, waiting for Tomakin's reply, all the time, however, watching Samen, who became somewhat uncomfortable with the elf's unwavering stare.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 01:54
Samen heard the Elf coming and quickly hid his arm. Not many people trusted anyone who wore that brand, even if they said they were reformed. The Elf spoke to Tomakin but never took his eyes off Samen. It was said that some Elves were telepathetic but all could sense past, present, and sometimes future darkness in a person. Samen, though, decided to speak before Tomakin. "My name is Samen of Gondor," he said bowing slightly. "I would like to know what it is you find so terribly interesting about me?"
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 06:51
"Peace Samen, peace. The elf means us no harm, and you would be wise to save your energies for the journey ahead."

Tomakin turned to the new stranger and surveyed him appraisingly. Tomakin turned back to the horse and started to rummage again, speaking as he did so.

"Welcome master elf. Calenhenevor, wasn't it? What news have you about the realm of Rhun, and what do the Easterlings have part in this tale? You must forgive me for being short on the welcomes, but this is an urgent matter."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 08:01
Calenhenevor suddenly smiled, his eyes twinkling. He reached out and laid his hand on Samen's shoulder.

"Be at ease, my good man. What I see is one who has been through much pain and horror and has come through the better man because of it." Giving Samen's shoulder a gentle pat, he turned to Tomakin and listened to his short-tempered words.

"Yes, it is Calenhenevor. And I am surprised that you mention Rhun as few know what has been brewing in that realm. But you are correct. The rumors I have heard are that a dark power, one perhaps more dreadful than Sauron himself, has been laying in wait for, lo! these many years. He has been gathering the Easterlings and the Haradrim to his calling, not to mention the former minions of Sauron..the orcs and trolls. He has a name.....Norgorlab....a fearsome beast older and more evil than even the Balrog. He is one that even Sauron himself feared. If this is true, we may have more to fear than any who have come in the past, including Melkor and Ungoliant themselves. I anger not at your haste as I feel the same as you do. We must make haste to determine how serious this threat is."

He stroked the neck of the horse as he spoke, sensing the nervousness of the steed and the shock of his recent journey with his master. As he patted the animal, his eyes caught a glimpse of something caught just under the edge of the saddle. Reaching for it, he felt the outer edge of an arrow tip.

"This horse was hit as well, though the shaft was broken off. Perhaps he could be cared for as soon as possible. He has seen enough horror already and does not need to suffer further from his wounds." Calen felt deeply the fear and pain of the animal. He turned from the horse and looked deeply into Tomakin's eyes.

"We must leave soon," he said.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 10:55
Renor stood behind a tree, watching the group. Sounded like a battle to him. His lust for war rose above his other emotions and he wanted to go out and speak witht them about this coming fight. Instead he lay his hand on the hilt of his dagger. It had an onyx hilt set with emeralds, like the deep green of the summer grasses.

He knew he couldn't be too useful when it came to wars, as he was not an open arms fighter. He was an assassin. A tracker, a killer, set out after only those specific ones. Kings, runaways, those he could do. But against an army...

Yes, if there was a certain someone he could pick off, or a few guards to open the way for others, he could prove extrmemly useful.

Renor went against his principals and stepped out into visibilty.

"What's this I hear, a war coming?"
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 05:12
Tomakin was about to reply to the Elf when another man came from the shadows. The man had stealth, as not even Calenhenevor or Samen detected his presence, Tom thought the man had a look of deadly swiftness, also that of a keen sense, both in sight and in hearing. Tomakin's swift appraisal of the newcomer also caught that the man was not heavily armed, or armored, even for the average traveler, and the dagger's hilt was adorned in such a way that it had the look of a most prized possesion.

"I see a burglar or an assasin has taken interest in our quest as well. Welcome to you stranger, we most definitely have a place for you in our party, as stealth and haste is of the essence." Tomakin turned to Calenhenevor, " Please find a stable hand for this horse, for I have found what I was looking for."

Tomakin produced a couple of small tokens from the saddle bag. One was a brooch with what seemed to be a lake with four branches, the other a small flask with the imprint of the Dorwinion.

"This brooch is from the post near the Sea of Nurnen. Which means the enemy has come to reclaim his slaves. This also means that the Easterlings may not have met up with the main force yet." Tomakin tossed the brooch to Samen, and held up the flask. "This is from the Sea of Rhun, which means that the Easterlings have taken it over for their own. This, along with a shipment of wine, must have been a token to the advancing threat of their support."

Tomakin tossed the flask to the newcomer so that he may survey it also, striding over to the horses and untying his from the rail. Calenhenevor was striding back from the stalls, Tomakin started to retell him what was just said but the Elf just waved his palm and said he heard it all. Tomakin turned back to his mount and readied it as he finished speaking, feeling stupid for forgeting that Elves have excelent hearing.

"The main force of this army must still be around the southern edge of the Ered Lithui, safely sheltered within Mordor whilst it waits for the Easterlings. It is a two day ride from here to the eastern tip of those mountains, and even if their host was moving it would not make it to the Dagorlad for three full days of relentless marching. We should make for the Ash Mountains, once there, we could ride till we see the host, and hide in the hills to judge its full strength."

Tomakin mounted his stead and looked to the others who had also readied themselves. Seeing the newcomer, he remembered that he had not introduced himself.

"Welcome to you, I appologise my friend," addressing the newest of the group, "in my haste I forgot to ask your name and greet you properly."

[Edited on 10/2/2005 by Ascalonnion]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 07:35
Calen had been aware of the stranger but decided to ignore his presence behind the tree unless there was a need to acknowledge him. He was clearly harmless at the moment. When he decided to show himself, just as Tomakin was about to respond to Cal's knowledge of the force they may be facing, Calen stood silent, waiting for the small slender man to explain his presence. Tomakin recognized what the man's occupation was and bade him welcome. As Tomakin released the horse, Calen took him to the stable to have him cared for. Upon his return, Tomakin began to repeat what he had found in the saddle bags. Calen waved his hand, having followed the conversation as he dealt with the horse. But he was curious to see the two items and looked at both Samen and the new man.

"May I?" he asked, with his hand outstretched. He looked them over while Tomakin told them his thoughts about where the army might be hidden and where Tomakin himself thought they should go to verify this. Calen nodded his head in agreement, offering the suggestion that they take the north road to what remained of the Black Gate before turning east in order to determine whether there were any small groups of Norgorlab's minions roaming Gondor already.

Handing the tokens back to Tomakin as the man mounted his horse, he turned to Samen and the other man.

"Samen, while I was in the stable, I asked regarding your own horse and it is being readied for you as we speak. I have my own saddled and ready as well." He was about to ask the newest addition to the group whether he had a horse or needed one when Tomakin suddenly asked the question all of them wanted to know.

"Welcome to you, I appologise my friend," addressing the newest of the group, "in my haste I forgot to ask your name and greet you properly."

Calen smiled pleasantly and said, "As did we all, mellon nin. And will you need a horse for this journey?"
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 01:41
Hearing his horse was ready Samen went to the stables to retrieve him.
"Well Angelus," he said to his horse, patting him on the neck. "We're off again." He saddeled his horse and then whisteled loudly. Several moents later a falcon landed on Smen's shoulder.
"Ash," he said. "Fly over Mordor and find where the main force is being kept." The falcon flew off and headed towards the Moutains of Ash. Samen rode out of the stables and heard Tomakin's request.

Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 11:09
Renor grunted.

"I think I shall remain unnamed. At least for now." He glanced around the clearing. His voice was deep, yet soft.
"Yes, I'll take a horse. Foot is better for me, but there is no way I should keep up with you."

Renor was a tight-lipped fellow. He actually trusted no one. These people looked friendly, but he had learned not to judge from the outside. There was no way he'd be able to ride with his dagger, so he returned it to its sheath at his hip and looked around the group.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 06:31
"Fine then friend, we shall just have to name you Lightfoot, until you choose to reveal your name. Friends, I hold you to no bond or oath other than that of your own willingness to continue. Should you choose to turn aside, none of us will think the lesser of you. We head up to the crossroads, it is likely we will run into some of their scouts around Minas Ithil and Osgiliath. From there, we will decide the best course."

Tomakin wheeled his horse around and lead the group onward, towards the comming doom. He couldn't help but feel in his heart that the doom may be too much for the King and the White City. Retreat may have to be an option to the kingdom, refuge may need to be taken in the kingdom of Arnor, and all of Middle Earth, even the trees and hills themselves may have to rise against this foe.

Tomakin lead off into the night, still bright from the full moon, until they reached the edge of the River Anduin and decided to give the horses a break and eat themselves. Wandering close to the river was a herd of boars, one of which Tomakin managed to fell with his bow, now roasting over a fire.

"Since we are taking a break, and we are well on the road to ruin, may I ask of you why each of thee were in that small town yonder? As for me, I was there resting from my trip to Umbar, where I was learning shipbuilding and water seige from the inhabitants. How bout you Master Calenhenevor, a long way from Minas Tirith are you."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 07:33
Calenhenevor smiled at Tomakin. "As I said earlier, I was on a mission to Mirkwood and was on my way back to Minas Tirith. I had stopped to rest myself and my horse as we had done some hard riding. How about you, Samen? And you, Master .. Lightfoot?"

He could not divulge his mission to strangers as it was a very secret one between Thranduil and Elessar. He really should not be going on this mission other than that it would take but a few extra days to confirm what Tomakin was seeking. Once that was completed, he could continue on to Minas Tirith and give his message to the King of Gondor.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 02:35
Samen turned to the Elf.
"I was on buisness," he said. "Personal buisness." His tone et them know it wasn't buisness of any kind but he wasn't going to reveal the details anytime soon.
"Why did you go with Tomakin?" the Elf asked. Samen hadn't been expecting a question like that and decided to come clean. He pulled out the arrow and showed it to the Elf.
"At least some of, if not all, of the enemy bears this brand." he indicated the blue flame. "Just like me." He rooled up his sleeve and showed them the tatoo on the inside of his arm. "I used to be one of them and I have some favors to return."

[Edited on 2/14/2005 by Legolas2]
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 11:28
Renor was intrigued by this idea of "returned favors". To him, it was revenge. He liked the tase of revenge, the feel it gave you to drive a blade through the heart of one who has wronged you or a close one in some way or another. To Renor, it was always himself, or an employer, for he knew no one close to him. Often he was employed in the harsher parts of the world, the south, the east, mainly, but not usually the more central parts. The elves did not care for his stealthy ways and macabre deeds. The ives he had taken earned him no trust or friendship, but they gave him a sense of pleasure, and, of course, he was payed. What better than to do what one does best and recieve all these things? No, that was the life. He knew no losses, only gain. He would take the gamble for a greater profit. That was the way of the rogue.

"Looking for work. Waiting to be needed." The reply came short and curt, sharp as the blade that lay sheathed at his hip. Much of his life revolved around that blade and he liked it. Perversity was a major trait in this outcast. Killing. Death. Destruction.

"Tell me," he said, a bit more freely, "How far now are we from these Minas Ithil and Osgiliath? I understand they are across the river from each other, guarding the lands. But time is of the essence, always, and I should like to know how much longer it is before we reach some proper action."

[Edited on 14/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 01:53
"Well Master Samen, I believe before the week is out that you will be able to return as many favors as you like. As for your question Master Lightfoot, we are about a quarter of a day's ride to the crossroads between them both. I suspect that after we are done eating it will take us till mid morning tomorrow to reach the crossroads, then till this time tonight to reach the edge of the Ash Mountains, were the real danger awaits. So Master Lightfoot, your dagger may yet find a place in someone's flesh as early as tomorrow's eve, should you still be with us."

Tomakin finished off what he had left of the boar and followed it down with some wine in his flask. Calling his horse he mounted again, and as soon as the others had done so, they rode off into the bright night.

Around midday that next afternoon, they found themselves at the westernmost edge of the Ash mountains, looking down the jagged peaks like teeth against an otherwise blue sky. Behind them were the Dead Marshes, and before them the Dagorlad and the Moranon. At the easternmost edge of the peaks there was a cloud of black, like the ominous comming of a great storm, and it was to there that they must go.

"Another half day and we should be able to reach that black nothingness. Forward with courage friends, and keep a sharp eye, there could be many scouts on the way there. Forward we go, through the Dagorlad."

With that they were off again, although a little more wary of the road, as there was sure to be eyes watching from the mountains.
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 02:38
Renor smiled at the remark made by Tomakin. He mounted his horse with the others and they rode off.

Around midday, the party had reached the moutnains. Renor looked out over the plains and desolate earth that awaited them. It reminded him somewhat of himself. He glanced down at his rich reddish brown clothing, covered in dirt and dust from the long travels and contact with the road and other such gritty places. The edges of his garments were a bit worse for wear, and somewhat rough. The ornamentation of his shoulder strap was tarnished, as were the buckles on his pants. Even his muscled torso and limbs were a tannish sandy color. He was definitely clad in colors of the earth.

He was a bit disturbed at the thought of watching eyes, and was prepared to slit the throat of any spy he came across. He had murdered and entire caravan of merchants who stood in his way before, and felt absolutely no guilt about it. He then had quickly taken his prize and booked it out of the place, leaving no trace of his presence, other than many a pool of blood and an abundnce of corpses. He was strong now, but feared he would be a bit out of practice, as he had not found work for a while and had to content in hunting for himself. He knew his reflexes would not dull enough to be any great danger. He would keep his company safe, and their enemies really had it cut out for them.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 06:48
As the small host cantered across the plains, now wary of every divot and crag in the mountains. They were now under the shadow of the great black expanse in the sky, not on the plains anymore,but winding carefully through the foot hills of the grey Ash Mountains. They were nearing the eastern tip of the mountains and they did not want to be noticed until after they had scouted the new great army advancing on Minas Tirith.

The group had reached a small pass in the mountains over into Mordor and they decided to take it agreeing that it would be faster that way. Once over the pass they had a straight shot at all the lands inside Mordor east of the mountain's southern spur, and what they saw made the group stare in disbelief.

Just then a horn sounded and a great host of Easterlings came marching into view bearing not only weapons and supplies, but new beasts that Tomakin had never seen in all his travels. The beasts were great in size and tan in skin, they had many tusks like the Oliphant but also had horns like that of a ram.

Now not only was there a great host of men, orcs, and trolls, but there was also machines of war that the likes of had never been seen before in Middle Earth. But the most fearsome being of them all was a huge dark figure that seemed to be burning in blue flame, seated on a throne and being carried about by many Balrog.

The sight of the Balrog carrying this being was fearsome enough, but the figure was stroking a full-grown dragon on his lap as well. Every once in a while this being would grab one of the orcs and feed it to the dragon, with resounding laughter at the screams of the orc being devoured.

"Friends, we must make all haste to Minas Tirith, for this is truely the most fearsome army this Middle Earth has seen in ages. We must ride!"

With that the party wheeled about and took off at the fastest possible speed down the mountain, and when nearing the bottom, breaking into a full gallop. They were nearing the plains of the Dagorlad when they heard a howl, and riding behind them were Warg riders closing quickly on their heels.
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 12:00
Renor did not like the idea of running form danger, but warning the defenders was necessary.

Then a group of wargs and riders were quickly on their heels. Renor smiled. He already sensed death quickly approaching. He called upon his conjuring skills and brought to him his sword. It was adorned with a skull design between the blade and the hilt, with bony fingerlike structures protruding from behind the skull. The blade itself had several fierce barbs, guaranteed to slice through the hide of any enemy. At the blade's center a vein of bright red light glowed.

He also bore a very unlikely weapon for the assassin he was. An ebony quarterstaff appeared in his left hand. It was topped with an onyx stone, but when the light caught it, the stone was a prism. Still black, but all the colors of the spectrum shone through it, and cast enormous rays through the sky. Pieces of elongated sharpened silver pointed upwards around the stone, like hands cupped around a sphere of light. They were sharp as a hawk's talons with razor edges.

But the appearance of weapons did nothing to frighten the wargs and their riders. Still swiftly they came...

Renor wheeled his horse around and dismounted. The horse ran off to the shadows, clearly avoiding the fight. This was much better. He was no Rohirric rider. He was a foot fighter. He did damage on the ground.

The first warg came at him and lunged. He swung the staff and watched the orc go flying off of its mount and screaming, land somewhere off in the shadows. The riderless beast turned on him and he held out the jewelled dagger. But the beast just kept coming, and it ran its eye right into the blade. The thing screamed in pain before dropping dead in a grotesque twisted position.

Renor pulled a spear out of the dry, cracked earth and brought it back over his shoulder, before letting it fly into the chest of a warg. The thing lurched forward and did a frontwards roll, the orc atop it crushed under its mount's bulk.

Renor spun his head to look at the others. His hair was sweaty and stringy. It whipped him in the face. The salt stung his eyes. Why did he feel more alone than he had in the days he'd known his companions? How long to Minas Tirith? Should they stay and fight or ride hard for the city?
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 01:52
Samen Tomakin and the Elf were riding for nearly five minutes before they realized that Lightfoot was gone.
"We have to go back for him," said Samen. "We can't just condem him to them."
"It's too risky," said Tomakin.
"You can't leave him to them, they won't kill him Tomakin, they'll do worse." Before waiting for an answer he turned his horse around and sped back to towards Lightfoot. After a few minutes Samen saw him standing there fighting off a few of the Warhs that were chasing them. Samen pulled his bow and shot three arrows at once and hit on of the Wargs in the neck, grabbed Lightfoot around the chest and hoisted him onto his horse.
"Hi." said Samen as he turned his horse around again and rode off towards the White City.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 05:35
Cal had been riding hard with the others when the wargs suddenly appeared behind them. The group raced as quickly as their steeds could gallop in the twisted rock strewn pathways. When he turned and realized that the strange one they were calling Lightfoot was not among them, he slowed his horse slightly, trying to discern where the man was in the swarm of wargs and riders. Listening to the exchange of words between Samen and Tomakin, he put forth his own comments.

"I must agree with Samen, Tomakin. We cannot leave him to be captured by this horde. He will fall into the hands of the Nargorlab, which was that fearsome creature we saw in Mordor. The horrors that will be manifest upon him is beyond comprehension. We must go back." Even though he had some troubling doubts about the odd man, he knew he could leave no one to the tortures the Nargorlab would place upon a captive.

He turned with Samen and slightly behind him, rode back to battle the wargs. Pulling out his bow and nocking arrows as he rode and shot, he killed several wargs and their riders. He noticed when Samen had tracked down Lightfoot's location, had picked him up and turned to gallop back in the direction they had originally been headed. Being out of arrows, he pulled his sword, slicing the head off one of the wargs that had reached his side and then stabbed its rider as he fell. Cal raced to catch up with the others of his small group and they flew quickly towards safety.
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2005 07:53
Renor felt a heavy hand on his back as he was lifted from the ground. He did not breathe hard from the fight, and saw several wargs and riders shot down by Calen. He landed roughly on the back of a horse and turned to find himself looking into the face of Samen. He quickly dismissed his weapons, and they disappeared in a cloud of black mist.

Renor smiled slightly into the face of his rescuer, and just then, a riderless horse came up beside Samen's. Renor took the chance and leaped off Samen's horse, landing softly on the back of his previous one. Why had it returned to him? He wondered.

The group rode hard for the city. The wargs were no match for the swift horses. Nonetheless, they followed the riders still. Then Renor though of something. Fire was their bane.

Fire could do no harm to the dusty earth on which their steeds' hooves pounded heavily. Renor called his quarterstaff back and pulled a magnifying glass out of his belt pouch. He held the staff high in the air, and it caught the sun's rays, splaying them out over the barren ground. Then he aligned the magnifying glass between the light and the wargs.

The beast went up in flames.

It tumbled to the ground, both rider and mount screaming and writhing in agony. Its companion tripped over it, setting them both ablaze. The fire hastily searched for something on which to feast, and in the dry, desolate land, found only the wolves and their riders.

The cratures were dead, not long after Renor took action. Having nothing else to consume, the fire slowly shrank, and shrank, until nothing remained but a smoldering piece of dust.

Then that too was gone.

[Edited on 19/2/2005 by Triple_Crown_Champ]
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 07:21
Tomakin didn't even realize that Calen and Samen both turned around to help Lightfoot untill he heard the sound of loosed arrows and screaming wargs. Not eager to stop and wait for the others, Tomakin wheeled his horse round to help, reluctantly, but out of the necessity to save his companions.

Samen had the one called Lightfoot on his horse and Tomakin caught the vagabond's horse as it went to streak by. Calen was firing arrows into the following horde of wargs and riders, felling many as the arrows feathered the foes. Lightfoot, on the back of Samen's horse, pulled something out of his satchel and, before Tom could see anything further, the warg closest to them burst to flames and quickly caught the others on fire as well.

Tomakin and the others kept riding while the wargs were burning and writhing in pain on the barren feild. When they were a safe distance, Tomakin gave back Lightfoot's ride and, after Lightfoot remounted, sped off again into the comming dusk.

Around mid-afternoon the next day, the group was at the Cross roads, and they decided to rest the horses, having riden through the day and last night.

"Calen, you seem to know much of this new foe. I think that you may not have been completely honest with us about what brought you to the town. I don't wish to know everything, but I would like to know what in the world this Norgorlab is, and why he is set against us."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 07:59
Calen sat quietly for a moment, apparently lost in thought. In actuality, he was debating how much to tell these three who were relative strangers. Who knew what their motives were? His mission did indeed have to do with the Norgorlab. The rumors of its existance had just been confirmed by this side trip and his initial reaction had been to turn and flee immediately to Gondor without another word spoken to anyone until he had addressed Elessar. So he sat in silence not knowing exactly how much he should say.

"I will say only this. I was completely honest in my reasons for being in the town where we met. I was indeed, as was my horse, in need of rest. We had both been riding hard for many days." Looking up at Tomakin, he sighed, and continued. "I had been looking to prove or disprove the rumors that have come to us regarding the Norgorlab. Had I not taken this swift journey with you, I would still have been in doubt. As it is, I now know he exists, and is more fearsome than even the rumors conveyed."

Taking Tomakin's arm, he led him away from the other two for some distance. When he was out of range of their hearing, he gazed long and hard at Tomakin. "I know not who you are or what your reasons for this reconnaisance were but I will say this...and this only. The Norgorlab is a creature of Sauron's, one that even Sauron himself feared. He was kept asleep in Mt. Doom, where Sauron himself was afraid to wake him. His entire reason for existance was to damn the pure of spirit and heart. He is the opposite of the Silmarils in his blackness of heart. Now that Sauron is gone and Mt. Doom destroyed, he has been released into the world. His goal is to destroy Gondor and its king...and then the rest of Middle Earth. I know not what your motives are, but I know that my mission is to see Elessar at once. I must leave as soon as my steed is rested. You may come with me or not, as you choose." He glanced back at Samen and Lightfoot, who were resting on the ground. One of them had lit a small fire and they were talking quietly to each other. He turned back to Tomakin.

"I am extremely uncertain about the one you call Lightfoot. His soul troubles me. His behaviour gives me great doubts about his reasons for being with us. Were I you, I would keep a sharp eye out, particularly for your back." With that statement a small smile momentarily touched his lips. Then his face grew serious once again. "I must ride at once for Gondor."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 01:23
"Calen, mellon nin, I have no alegance to anyone, or anything, but this danger is the greatest that this middle earth has seen, ever. I wish not to hinder you from your quest, as we took no oath or bond, but I know that this....thing is comming after the world of men, my world. I may not have many ties to the people of this world, but I have grown to love its forrests and hills. These Dragons and Balrogs come accursed into these lands, and with the wizards gone, who is left to oppose them?"

"It is Men, men like myself, Samen, and even the one called Lightfoot that have to arise and shoulder the burden. And that is what I will do, but I cannot do it alone. King Elessar is the wisest and the strongest of Men, so if this beast is after things that are pure, like the Silmarils, King Elessar is the very embodyment of that." Calen looked at the man, surprised by the knowledge this relatively young person had. "Do not look so surprised Calen, I too have studied in the great halls of the Elves, as I had also traveled briefly with Gandalf."

Tomakin turned from Calen and addressed everyone and no one in particular. "The horses are rested and we are in great haste, what say you that we take off?"

[Edited on 22/2/2005 by Ascalonnion]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 01:35
Samen took the night watch that night. Towards the East Samen could make out fires that the Orcs had made and to the South he could make out fires that, he believed, his old comrades made. He instincively rubbed his tatoo as he remembered his horrific days with them.Suddenely he heard a raptor's cry as he saw Ash flying back to them. Ashe landed on his shoulder and stuck out his foot to the East, where they had been attacked from.
"I know," he said to Ash. The Ash spat something out his mouth, it was a small cloth. Samen picked it up and unfolded it. It was a piece of a banner with the blue flame on it.
"Looks like the boys are back in town." said Samen.

After a few hours Tomakin spoke. "The horses are rested and we are in great haste, what say you that we take off?"
"I think we should go," said Samen walking towards Tomakin and Calen, holding out the banner Ashe had brough back. "Things are going to be worse than we thought." Calen took the cloth and his eyes grew wide.
"The Order of the Blue Flame?" he said. "Where did you get this?" he said.
"My falcon brought it back from his scouting expedition." Samen rolled up his sleeve and showed him the brand. "I brought this back frorm Hell."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 06:35
"Mellon nin, I bid you do have an alliegence, that of your love for Middle Earth and its people, its forests, lakes and rivers, its beasts. That is indeed enough. We elves are few now and as you say, the wizards are gone from this land. Galadriel herself said upon leaving that the land now belongs to the dominion of men. Elessar is leader of all men and feels his position deeply. He will want to hear from me that which I have seen but he will also wish to hear from men like you that which he holds true...that all mankind will have to care for its people and lands. Come with me, sir, and speak with me to the king." Calen grasped Tomakin's shoulder as he said this, his eyes intense, his expression serious. He knew he could not expect an answer immediately and walked off towards the fire to give Tomakin time to think.

As Tomakin joined him near the fire, Samen approached, holding out a piece of cloth and saying, "I think we should go." Calen took the small banner and opened it, staring at it as a chill ran down his spine. He immediately recognized it's significance. "The Order of the Blue Flame? Where did you get this?" When Samen explained and then showed him the tattoo on his arm, Calen closed his eyes and breathed in a deep breath, expelling it with a whoosh. He turned again to Tomakin, his eyes full of a deep sadness as he contemplated the danger to this land. Softly, he repeated his previous words.

"Come with me to Gondor, to Elessar....please....both of you. He has need to know these things.
Triple_Crown_Champ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 04:37
[[["Oi! Oi! We're coming too! You'd have to tie us up in a sack to stop us!"]]]

Renor sat by the fire and watched the expressions on the others' faces. He heard Tomakin say that tey had to go--right away. It had to be serious. What was on the cloth that had been so vitally important as to cause this decision?

No matter, they were going to see Elessar. He needed to be informed.

But wait! There was something on Samen's arm. Renor stood up and walked closer. He looked once at the cloth, then turned his dark head towards Samen's arm.

They matched. Samen bore the brand of the Order of the Blue Flame.

Things were getting urgen.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 06:35
"I do not know what this Order of the Blue Flame is, and I care not to at the moment, from your somberness this is indeed most urgent. Calen, I will go and talk to Lord Elessar with you if you wish me to. But, upon delivering this news to him, you owe me a full explanation of these events."

Tomakin spoke quickly as the group readied their steeds, finishing as they were fully mounted and ready to leave.

"We must fly, to Minas Tirith!"

With that the group spurred forward, the wind suddenly blowing from behind them to speed them on their way. It was as if the very winds themselves wanted them to reach the King.

It was about midnight before they were in sight of the city, and that was extraordinary in itself because it should have been a full days ride before they should have been there. As the small band moved closer to the city they couldn't help but marvel in the revamped construction the Elves and Dwarves and Men had put into the city.

Even in the moonlight the outer walls gleamed from the Mithril and the Gate shone like a star in the night, lighting the plains of Pelennor, still blackened in spots from the battle so many years ago. The city was tremendous, and its glory unmatched, challenged only by Lothlorien in its prime, and the Halls of Dwarendelf before its fall.

The group stopped at the gate, barred and closed during the night, and the Guard of the city called to them.

"Who comes!? What business have you in the late hours of the night?"

"We bear important news for Lord Elessar! Open the doors so we may bear our news to him in council!" Tomakin was in no mood for the guard's interrogations. Although it didn't look like it was going to do any good for him to order them around.

"Calen, you are the one whom was sent, tell these fools to open their gates."

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Ascalonnion]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 07:47
Calen smiled at Tomakin's grumpiness but realized the poor man was as exhausted as he himself was. Their travel had been hard and fast and the four of them wanted only something to drink and eat and to be able to put up their horses and rest themselves.

"My good men," he said to the guards, "I am Calenhenevor. Your King is awaiting my arrival. Confirm this if you must but do so after you have allowed us within the safety of your gates." His tone was as usual quiet but firm, the command in his voice evident. Within moments, the great gates of Minas Tirith began to creak open and the riders entered as the gates closed behind them. The guards had recognized his name and waved the group passage up to the Citadel. Before they reached this place, Calen slowed, then stopped his horse, holding up his hand to the other to do the same. Turning to the member of their party they had been calling Lightfoot, he stared at him for a moment before sternly saying to him, "Sir, the king will not waste foolish conversation with someone who is nameless and who's motives are unknown. If I am to bring you before him, you must be prepared to give him both your name and your interest in this situation. Are we clear on that?" Renor nodded, though whether he would do as Calen asked was debatable.

When they arrived at the top of the city, the guards at the Great Hall also knew Calen's name and passed he and his group through to the hall of the King. Aragorn walked forward and met Calen in the middle of the hall, their arms clasping. Calen laid his hand across his heart and bowed his head in greeting. "Calen, it is good to see you again," the King smiled as he greeted the elf. "What news from Mirkwood?" Aragorn raised his hand to some attendents standing by the wall and nodded his head, requesting without words that food and drink be brought to the Hall for his guests. They immediately left the Hall to do the King's bidding

"My Lord Aragorn, I left Thranduil with no more than rumors. I arrive here with confirmation of those rumors, thanks to these fellow travelers," he gracefully waved his hand toward the rest of the group. "Allow me to introduce them before we speak further. This is Tomakin," his palm up, his fingers directed at Tomakin, "and this man is Samen and this is...." he looked at Renor waiting for him to speak his name.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 05:13
Samen stared at the grand hall they were in. It was Elessar's throne room and Samen felt as though he should be torching the place. He was done with the Easterlings but ever now and then he did crave the taste of fear, he never bent to his desire but he still felt it.

"My name is Renor, Elessar King." he said bowing. Samen didn't recognize the name but he didn't expect to. he never forgot a face, no matter how hard he tried.

The king already knew Calen well and after Tomakin introduced himself Elessar turned to Samen.
"And who are you sir?" he asked.

"My lord," Samen said bowing. "I am Samen. A wanderer and bounty hunter. I urge you to heed our warning. Gondor and world of Men is about to face it's most dangerous test ever.

"Two things are coming together that could raze Minas Tirith to the ground. The Norgorlab and the Order of the Blue Falme. We must gather all of our allies to this city before the hammerstroke fallls."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email