Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Second War
on: March 25, 2005 06:54
Samen was staring into the depths of the army. Half the Pelennor was full and they were all slowly filing into the city. He looked deeper and saw about 10 Balrogs protecting the Norgorlab. It hadn't come into the battle but it was only a matter of time. Suddenely a light burst into the darkness clouding Samen mind.
"Elves!" he shouted. He ran into the room they were in and spoke.
"Elves!" he said. "If we can get an army of Elven archers here We can even the odds and maybe wipe out this army."
"How are we going to do that?" asked Elessar. "No Elves will come to help us."
"They'll come to help if I go to them. I've made friends with the Captain of Mirkwood's armies. I can bring 10,000 Elven archers here in three days, along with Rohan's army. I'd say that would even the odds up."
"Still," said Tomakin. "How would you get there. It'd take weeks to get out of the White Mountains and Eru himself would have a hard time breaking through those lines of Orcs."
"I'll take the skies," said Samen walking to the window. He whisteled and Ash flew to his shoulder. He wispered to the bird and he flew off for a moment. He came back with one of the larger Eagles. Samen strateled it and looked back.
"The city has to hold or all this will be in vain. I'll be back on the third day or I'm not coming back at all." He took off and soon to his companions he was a small speck. That's when the third gate fell...

An Elf was fighting of a band of Orcs in Mirkwood, not far from it's castle. Finally the last Orc was slain and the Elf was wiping his blade when the Eagle landed and Samen dismounted.
"Sarac..." said Samen. "Good to see you."
"Samen," said Sarac. "Come with a fight for me?"
"Of a kind..."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 06:49
{Sorry all, I was on spring break and homework kinda backed up on me. Anyway, I'm all caught up now so I will have lots of time for this. Great jobs on all of your parts and congrats on reaching a third page, let's keep it goin.}

They watched Samen fly off on the eagle, with him went the hopes for the city. Those that were left looked at one another and a silent shiver ran through them, knowing that they were going to be hard pressed to survive for three days. Tomakin filled his mug again and drowned it in one long gulp, when he placed his mug on the table he stood and spoke.

"We all know that with those we have left we will not be able to survive for more than two days. Samen will bring aid to us yes, but I feel that it will not be long before the master of this rabble will join them."

Just then they heard the groan of the gate, then a crashing sound as it fell to the ground. Before the sound even stopped reveberating off the walls, everyone in the house was on the street fighting. Durn, Calen, and Tomakin were in the front of the lines, taking on the brunt of the forces streaming into the third level. King Elessar and his companions were a little further back, taking out the ones who happened to pass the first three.

From the ranks of Orcs and Uruk's rose a terrible chant, one that some of the dwarves knew from the tales passed from the Lonely mountain.

"Burn, burn tree and fern!
Shrivel and scorch! A fizzling torch
To light the night for our delight
Ya hey!

Bake and toast 'em, fry and roast 'em!
till beards blaze, and eyes glaze;
till hair smells and skins crack,
fat melts, and bones black
in cinders lie
beneath the sky!
So dwarves shall die,
and light the night for our delight."

The dwarves were outraged. The slaughter of orcs and trolls and Uruks was outright, Dwarven blades and spears were flashing faster than even those of the elves, from their ranks rose a song of their own.

"Fires burn and ashes fly,
swords clash and spears shine,
orcs screech and trolls yell,
crawling from hill and dale.

Blood flows and flesh tears,
teeth gnash and claws rip,
but Dwarves stand and shout,
while your guts spill out.

Slash them, stick them, hack them, cleave them,
one by one or four by four,
orcs and trolls fall at our door,
Durin's Ax strikes and Thorin's Hammer falls,
forcing them all from our halls,
Death, Death, DEATH TO THE ORCS."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 09:59
Durninad remembered the song of the dwarves since he was born in the shadow of the mountain. While fighting he found himself singing along to it.

"Death, death, DEATH TO THE ORCS!" the dwarves shouted at the end.

"DEATH TO THE ORCS!" Durninad shouted along with them.

After some time of fighting, he started singing a different song, a part of a much longer song sung often in Lake-Town of the return of the King Under the Mountain, a song about better times:

"His crown shall be upholden,
His harp shall be restrung,
His halls shall echo golden
To songs of yore re-sung.

The woods shall wave on mountains
And grass beneath the sun;
His wealth shall flow in fountains
And the rivers golden run."

Some nearby dwarves noticed the song and sang along with it.

Later durring the fighting: "520, 521, 522, 523..." Durninad then killed a troll, smashing many orcs beneath it, "I'll just call that 550." Durninad said to himself as he fought on.

[Edited on 1/4/2005 by East_Emnet]
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 05:52
It had been two days since Samen took to the skies for aid, and, to everyone's dismay, the city was now encamped in the citidel's courtyard. The gates of the last level were being pounded furiously, knowing this was the last barrier to overcome. Dwarf, man and Elf alike knew that they would not last another night, the pitch black of the clouds above seemed to deepen with each passing hour.

"Elessar, it is time to accept the truth, we cannot survive for much longer, and we must escape before it is too late. We should take the paths to the houses of the dead, and from there pass through the mountains to the Anórien. From there we should be able to reach Rohan, and enlist their aid."

"I know, even with the Rohirrim, that we still do not stand a great chance at beating this foe, we need more help. I suggest that we fly before our enemy and gather all who can be gathered. Then, we could turn and face our enemy with all of Middle Earth behind us. In this we might have a chance to..."

At that moment there came a resounding bellow that sent chills up Tomakin's spine. Turning to gaze into the depths of the enemy's lines, there stood the Norgorlab, no longer sitting on his throne and brandishing his mace. With another ringing bellow he started towards the city.

"We must go now! There is no other alternative. Please, spare the rest of your men, sound the retreat."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 09:23
An hour before Tomakin urged Elessar to order the retreat, Durninad went before King Elessar who was at that time alone in the Hall of the Kings. Durninad walked up and bowed before the king, saying, "Elessar, may I have permission to leave the city now?"

"For what purpose, Durninad?" the king asked.

"I know of an ally that is very close to the city. I believe I can bring these men into the war."

"Who are these people," Elessar asked, "I thought I had gathered all of the men in the vicinity of the city."

"They are men you have had dealings with before, Elessar. They are the wild men of the Druadan Forest." Durninad answered.

"The wild men? But no man but the wild man can step foot in that forest." said the king.

Durninad replied with, "I have befriended one of them who live in a hut outside the forest. He is a leader among them, and if he follows me to the war, I think many of his folk will follow."

"Enter the Silent Street, and pass the houses of the dead into the mountains, that is the way out of the city. Go with haste." was what Elessar said.

As Durniand was about to leave the hall, he turned around and said to the king, "I will present to you an army in a few days." With that, Durninad left Minas Tirith for the Druadan Forest.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 10:07
Samen and Sarac were tearing through the forest trying to get to Mirkwood's halls before more Orcs came. The geates were closed but upon seeing the men requesting entrance the doors were propmtly opened and the men went inside. The two immediatly went inside the castle and began seeking out the Captain of Mirkwood's army. She was female and her name was Narya. Sarac had been her lover for a time but things had complicated that relationship and now the two found it hard to see each other. They wove in and out of the intricate halls of the castle until they found their way towards the throne room of Thranduil himself. The guards gave them entrance and there before them was Thranduil with his children Legolas and Narya at his side.

Seeing who had entered Legolas' face controted with rage at seeing Sarac and Narya's face filled with annoyance. The pair bowed and approached Thranduil, ignoring his children.
"My lord," said Sarac. "My friend brings word from Gondor, the city is under attack they call for aid."
"It is tru," said Samen. "An army of a beast more terrible than Sauron has pitted his army against Elessar. The Orcs had taken half the city already when I left a day ago. If Mirkwood does not come to their aid the World of Men will fall."
"Why should we believe anything you and this thing say?" said a different voice, Narya's voice.
"Narya," said Sarac. "You can't let your personal feelings control you at a time like this. Mirkwood must ride to Gondor's aid."
"If you do not," said Samen. "When the Norgorlab comes here you will fall to his mace and this forest will burn along with the rest of Middle-Earth."
Such power and vigor was in Samen's voice that Narya's expression changed from one of disgust to grim determination. She stood and turned to her brother.
"Gather the Men we leave at first light tomorrow."
"No!" said Samen, also standing. "You have to gather what you can and leave tonight, as soon as humanly possible. You wait a day and this will all be in vain."
Narya nodded and walked off with Legolas behind her.

Before nightfall 4,000 Elves were amassed and saddeled and began riding for Gondor. Sarac Legolas and Narya were at the front of the army. Samen was gone but several saw an Eagle circle them several times before it flew off northwest, towards Rohan.

Back in the city the situation was desperate. The last agte was being hammered mercilessly while the jeers and cries from the Orcs and trolls robbed the Men of needed sleep. Tomakin stared into the vast emptiness of the White Mountains.
"Samen," he said. "If you're going to do something you'd better do it quick."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 07:38
With each stroke of the hammers on the gate, the doors gave louder and louder groans, giving in to the nonstop beating they were receveing. The shouts and howls of the orcs and trolls were at such a pitch that none of the men could sleep. The city was in retreat, preparations were being made for the evacuation of all left alive. The giant figure of the Norgorlab was growing ever closer, smashing every building and wall along its way to the top.

"This is the hour of Men, but so few Men cannot stand in the face of this foe. It will be our sure destruction if we do not depart from this place."

Elessar's visage was downcast, his fierce determination had given into the reality of the situation. Most of the foot soldiers had been evacuated already, the mounted units to follow, and the Elves and Dwarves were to be the last to leave, upon their request. Calen, Tomakin, and the King with his companions were the last to cross the bridge to the halls of the dead, when they did so, orders were given to destroy the bridge, hopefully to have the rabble leave the houses and the dead in them in peace. It would be a lond road to Edoras, and a dangerous one.

The Eagles were still with them as they left the City, Elessar called one over to him, bowing as it came, and asked it to send word to Samen and the Rohirrim to meet at the Hornburg and glittering caves, where Gimli was Lord.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 06:11
Samen was scanning the wide open plains of Rohan, in search of the halls of King Eomer. With Elves marching towards Minas Tirith he needed only the 20,000 spears of Rohan to turn the tide of the battle in the favor of Men. After a few hours of flying he saw the hill that held the Golden Hall. Smiling he flew down towards the city.

He scared a good many people and made a baby cry when he landed but he had bigger problems then some scared children. He rushed towards the door, hastily threw off his broadsword, quiver and arrows and tore into the Golden Hall.

"King Eomer!" he called out. His voice and face was farmiliar in Rohan and Eomer had had dealings with the bounty hunter before.

"Samen," he said. Noticing the bruises on his face and body he grew concerned. "What troubles you my friend?"

"Gondor," he said. "Is under attack, the city has probably fallen but if it hasn't it will within a day. Muster the Riders and ride again to Gondor. What is unfolding on the city is more dangerous than Sauron himself."

Eomer nodded and walked out of the hall and blew his horn. Immediatly the city came alive as young and old men poured out of their houses and to the stabels. Within an hour 15,000 Riders were mustered. As they started to move out another Eagle landed.

"Samen," he said. "You must take your troops to the Hornburgh. Minas Tirith has fallen."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 02:55
Durninad ran down the side of a mountain some distance from the besieged city. He had already discarded the heavy parts of his armor only leaving himself with his sword, shield, and some of his chain mail. He saw a farm in the distance and ran towards it. As he neared the farm, he saw a man out front chopping wood. The man was Rohirric in decent.

"My good man," Durninad said, "may I barrow a horse, I am in haste."

The man looked at him, he called to his son, "Walda, can you bring this man a horse." Walda did so and the man said, "I have many horses, so you can have this one."

Durniand hopped onto the white horse, "Thank you, my good man, if we ever meet again, I shall thank you." With that he rode off towards his destination. When Durniand looked back towards the farm, which was then small on the horizon and said, "I shall name this horse Walda." Durniand then galloped at full speed to the forest

[Edited on 19/4/2005 by East_Emnet]
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2005 05:59
(OK, I'll just continue then)

Durninad rode forward toward the dark forest on the horizon. He spotted a small hut on the edge of the forest, which was his destination. He rode closer and saw the man he was looking for, next to a small fire outside the hut. The man was sharpening a knife.

"Guri," Durninad said, dismounting, "your preparing, I see."

"War is coming." said Guri in the best common speech he could.

Durninad looked into the forest, "Are your people prepared for war, since the war is coming your way?"

"Yes," Guri said, standing up with his knife raised, "we are ready. We will defeat the enemy when they enter the forest from the trees!"

"Guri, this enemy is more powerful than any army on the face of the earth, you must follow me away from here," Guri looked forlornly into the forest as Durninad continued "Yes, your home will be destroyed, but with its roots left behind, the forest will grow again. Follow me North to Edoras, from there, we will decide our next move."

[Edited on 19/4/2005 by East_Emnet]

[Edited on 23/4/2005 by East_Emnet]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 05:35
As the remaining members of the army evacuated the city through the White Mountains, and the bridge to the halls of the dead was destroyed, Elessar turned to Calen.

"Calen, can you not request aid from the west? Can you travel to Valinor for us and attempt to gain the help of the Istar? This is more than the men of Middle Earth can handle on their own. Will you not go for us?"

Calen bowed his head to the King then clasped his arm. "I will leave as soon as we have made it through the mountains and I see you safe at Helm's Deep. Saman has gone for aid from the elves that remain here and also from Rohan. Those armies will be grouping at the Hornburg as we speak. Durninad has gone to Guri ban Guri and will request his aid as well. I will take the ship from the Grey Havens and see what I can do in Valinor about gaining the aid of the great ones. Praise Eru, I should be successful as this is a worse evil than even Sauron himself." He turned to Tomakin, saying, "Be certain to save the King from whatever evil threatens him, my friend." Smiling, he added, "that may mean you will have to save him from himself for knowing him, he would fight to the very end." Glancing at the King, he chuckled at the expression on Elessar's face. "Look not at me with such an expression. You know this is so. I beg you, Elessar, listen to the leaders of your armies. If they say you must withdraw, then do so. I will return with aid as soon as possible and it would be of great service if you were still alive to benefit from their presence, sire."

Calen hoped they could get the king to the fortress of Helm's Deep safely and soon. It would take time to reach the powers of the west and he needed to leave quickly.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 07:32
As Calen left and the men were empting from the city, there was a sense of foreboding dread amongst the small circle. It would be a long journey from the silent streets through the mountains to reach the plains that would take them into Rohan.

Many of the soldiers had stripped themselves of all unneeded weight along the exodus, leaving them with only their armor and weapons, some even discarding those. Everywhere the spirits and mood of the soldiers were dark and forlorn as they trudged across the rocky plains, only the horsemen still had the energy to keep all of their armor and provisions. As for the king and his companions, their voices were low and the talk brief. The weight of the failure to keep Minas Tirith was crushing the hearts of all who trudged to Helm's deep.

They were being pursued by the enemy, often enough a party of Warg riders would catch up to them, but easily taken down by the archery skills of the elves and the horsemen's spears. Not very effective at wearing down the numbers of the group, but nevertheless a consistent reminder that they were being followed by a greater evil.

Four days and nights they marched tirelessly from the Houses of the Dead, across the mountains, and through the plains of Rohan, untill they finally came within sight of the Hornburg. Its fortess had been rebuilt by the skill of Gimili and his band of dwarves that had taken up residence in the Glittering Caves.

The Deeping Wall was rebuilt and fortified with Iron and Mithril, or True Silver as the Dwarves called it, and the small stream was ever the more fortified with iron gates and small watch rooms on either side, built into the wall. Not only was the wall rebult, but towers on it as well. They stuck up in the air like thick tree trunks, all the more dangerous looking because of the devices upon the top of them. Mangonels were built into the stone, made to sling huge loads of rubble into the wide plain area. As the group marched up to the walls, they heard a horn blast from the most unlikely of people.

"That is the horn I had given to Pippin! Lo, how is it that he is here?"

The Army marched in and took up camp, Ellesar's spirits were raised by the sight of his three little hobbit friends. Tomakin left them to catch up and went off to find Samen and Durn.
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 09:27
Guri was silent for a while, Durninad spoke up, "You must give me an answer quickly. I am in haste."

Guri spoke, still looking off into the forest, "I would follow you into any fight, my friend. But I am unsure how my people will react to what you are proposing. Our countless ancestors have lived here for many an age. This place is the only home we know."

"Your people must move regardless," Durninad said, "any leader knows that his own people are more important than the lands in which they live."

"I shall gather my people and tell them what you are proposing. I do hope they decide to follow you." Guri said. He then turned and ran into the woods. Durninad heard a deep note from a horn call in the forest.

Hours later, as the sun began to set, Durninad said aloud, "What is taking so long?"

[Edited on 5/5/2005 by East_Emnet]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 11:10
Samen was standing atop the battlements of Helm's Deep as the armies of Mirkwood and Rohan cam throught the gates. Mirkwoods archers were the best in Middle-Earth and 1000 of them manned the walls with another 500 behind them in the valley. There were thousands more in reserve and on the keep itself and then there were the Riders of the Riddermakr but Samen didn't know if they would be enough. They had trashed the army pretty badly at Minas Tirith but the Norgorlab wouldn't stop until every lst man woman and child in Middle-Earth was under it's control.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 09:22
Tomakin's spirits were dowsed still from the defeat of Minas Tirith. The sight of more men and Elves were stagering to behold in the small keep of the Hornburg, already stationed in different areas and ready to battle. Tomakin was still searching for Durn and Samen when he spotted Gimli talking amoungst his clansmen.

"....and that is how we will evacuate the women and children through the caves if need be." There was a small murmour that traveled around the clansmen before departing.

"Gimili," Tomakin shouted before striding up to the metal clad dwarf, "how is it that you managed to do this in such a short time?"

"You underestimate the deturmination of the Dwarves, my young friend. We managed this in less than a year," motioning to the wall and the keep, "as well as fixing a place for us in the Glittering caves. With only those of my clan that you see here."

"Truely amazing Gimili, you Dwarves never cease to amaze me. Although, don't you think it best to send the women and children out now, before there is need?"

"Ah, yes. It would seem wise to do so, but if they still stay, many of the Men will fight more fiercely if they know the ones they love are still in a position of harm. That is why they are still here. That and they are really good cooks, ha ha, and a being needs his stomach filled with good food."

With that Gimili slapped Tomakin on his back and walked away chuckling. Tomakin wasnt quite sure of his reasoning, but didnt have time to think on it long because he had spotted Samen.

"Hey Samen! Nice to see an old friend. Come down and have a chat with me."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 01:51
Durninad sat waiting for a long time, staring into Guri's fire which was rappidly going out. As the sun began set behind the mountains, exahasted, he closed his eyes and began to dream of a conversation with his king more than two weeks prior:

Durninad, almost ready to leave for Minas Tirth to deliver his message to king Elessar, was about to mount his horse when Bard II, his king, came to him at the city gates of Dale. "Yes my king?" he asked.

"Thranduil and I decided last night, we have made the comander of the Army of the North." Bard replied.

"Me?" Durninad asked in suprise.

"We came to the conclusion because we do not want to risk the live of any of the nothern kings and and you were the best soldier at the council."

"Thank you for the oppertunity." Durninad said as he mounted his horse.

Bard II grabed the reins of the horse and said, "Now that you are the commander, I want you to deliver the message and leave imediatly to meet up with the army." With that, the king let go of the reins and Durninad galloped off for Gondor...

Durninad woke when he was shaken out of sleep. He opened his eyes to see that the sun had risen and Guri's hand was in his shoulder. Guri said, "All those who are well enough to leave are forming up now."

Durniad sat up and was speachless. He saw up and down the treeline as far as he could see, the people of the forest were streaming out like bees out of a hive. He saw more poeple than he was hoping to see. Then he turned to Guri and said, "Lead your people northwest as fast as you can to Edoras, or Helms Deep if the Rohirrim capitol is deserted." Durninad turned to mount Walda.

Guri stood there shoked and asked, "You are not comming with us?"

Durninad looked off to the northeast and said, "I have some other friends I must meet up with, I hope you reach Helms Deep before Norgorlab does." Durninad then mounted, and rode off.
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 04:36
Minutes later, Guri was looking over the large crowd which was his people. Suddenly, one of his men came up behind him and said, "Wolf riders are approching!" Guri turned to one of his messangers and said, "Give the order to make for Helms Deep!"

Right before Guri rode for the front of his people, he said to himself, "Wild man shall fight alongside stone man, today."

Durninad rode harder than he ever rode before. In the late afternoon, he finally found what he was looking for. He saw a grid of tents on the banks of the Anduin. He made for the command tent at a gallop. The men of the army, who were cooking their food, looked up as he rode past. He rode right up to the open flapps of the command tent and walked in. Durninad's second in command shoot him a nasty look and said, "Were have you been?" Durninad quickly said, "I have questions to ask of you, why is this army not moving?!"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email