Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: The Second War
on: February 28, 2005 08:28
Elessar stared at Samen for a long moment and then turned to Calen. "Of what does he speak, Calen? Is this part of the rumors of which you spoke"

"Yes, my Lord, it is. We had heard rumors of the Norgorlab but had no definitive knowledge of this being. Tomakin here apparently had heard similar stories and I was convinced that a minor side trip with him, Samen and ... Renor...might verify these rumors. This trip did we take to the borders of Mordor and then northeast, where we saw this creature. The Norgorlab was a creation of Sauron's that even he was afraid to release from Mt. Doom during the War of the Rings. After the ring was destroyed and Sauron with it, Mt. Doom collapsed and released this monster unattended into the world. He has drawn the minions of Sauron to his call and is preparing, as Samen says, to destroy first Minas Tirith and then the rest of Middle Earth. Samen knows much about the the Order of the Blue Flame, being once one of their kind." Calen paused for a moment, thinking to himself just how "once" that might have been. Could Samen still be one of them...perhaps they now had a spy in their presence. He decided he would have to keep an eye on both Samen and Renor.

Their food and drink arrived as he finished his statement and Elessar invited them all to sit and rest themselves. "We can speak of this as you all eat and drink." The four of them did this as Elessar paced the Great Hall, asking questions and receiving the answers he needed.

"We will need to send a rider to Rohan and advise Eomer. Then we must begin to prepare for another battle." He sighed deeply. "I had so hoped the men of Middle Earth would not have to suffer again what we endured before." He turned to look at the four tired riders and asked, "What more do you feel I should know this night. I know you need rest but I feel we have very little time for such indulgence. Talk to me, my friends. How much more do I need to know. Speak now."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 09:00
Samen rolled up his sleeve and showed Elessar his brand.

"I recieved this when I was with the Blue Falme to show them my undying loyatly to them and thier cause."
"And what cause is that?" asked Elessar. He seemed to be taking an interest in Samen.
"The Blue Flame's cause is to destroy everything that is good and whole in this city and then the world."
"And can they meet that cause?" asked Elessar.
"They almost did once before, thanks to me." He told them his story. The women he had fallen in love with, the fact that to complete his mission one night he had to kill her. How he refused to kill her but the misson went anyway and he couldn't save her in time.

"I killed all of them." said Samen somberley. "There were 30 on that raid and when I saw her body I murdered each and every one of them on that raid. I've had the Blue Flame hunting for me since that day. Since then I've been trying to atone for my sins. Maybe save my own soul along with some others."
"It is a noble mission that you have undertaken," said Elessar. "And I will not underestimate these Men you once served, as long as you continue to prove that you no longer serve them."
"I will do that anyway I can."
"Then go to them," said Elessar. "Go back and find what you can about them for us."
"You want me to go back?" said Samen. "You want me to go into the hands of the Men who have me marked for death?"
"Will they kill you if you can prove that you are ready to rejoin them?"
"No," said Samen. "I think they'd want me back."
"Go then," said Elessar. "And then return with what information you can."
Samen stood and bowed. "I will return before the hammerstroke falls." And with that he was gone, his long black coat flowing behind him.
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 11:34
(Hey, do you mind if I join?)
Durninad, Captin of Dale, rode up to the city gates of Minas Tirith. He asked one of the gaurds if Calen of Mirkwood had arrived. The gaurd said yes. "Good," thought Durninad. He rode up to the 7th level of the city and walked into the hall of the kings, passing a man walking the opposite direction. He saw Elessar talking with two men and an elf, who Durninad had recognies was his good friend Calen. "Hail King Elessar, I bring news from the North!" said Durninad. "Calen, melon nin, it has been long since we last met."

[Edited on 3/3/2005 by East_Emnet]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 06:04
Samen mounted his horse, Angelus, and rode off towards the evil land of Mordor.

By the end of the night, both he and his horse were exhausted. Still, he let Angelus go and he went off to find a stable. Samen went to the ground and he walked through a hidden pass in the mountains that only he and the order knew of. He had been walking for a while until he heard the voices.

"Halt,' said a farmiliar voice. "Show yourself." It was Angelus, the man his horse was named after. Samen got the horse from these Men and it was too late to change it's name. Samen out on his evil smile and showed himself.

"Angelus!" Samen shouted.
"Samen!" Angelus shouted.
"I'll be damned!" yelled Samen, embracing this man like a brother, and there were rumors about that.
"I taugh you to always guard your perimiter. You should have someone out there."
"I did," said Angelus. "I'm surrounded by idiots." The two laughed and Angelus spoke again.
"What's new with you?" Angelus asked,
"Everything," said Samen.
"Come up against this new king yet?"
"He's strong, not too bright though. I gave him the whole 'I'm trying to atone...' act and he bought it!"
"People still fall for that? What a world!"
"Come on," said Samen. "Let's head back to camp and you can fill me in on what your big plan is for Gondor." Angelus brought Samen back to camp. He recognized too many faces but he made and execellent show of pretending to be happy he was back. He was brought to the leader, Krev's, tent.

"Samen," he said. "Haven't seen you in the killing fields for an age."
"I'm not much for company."
"No you never were. So what's the deal with this king? Time was you would've shot him in a heartbeat. This whole "trying to atone..." thing is an act right?"
"Of course it is," said Samen. "Those fools I traveled with showed me your plans laid bare I figured you needed my help. You always left a few weak spots but you always had me to cover them up."
Krev smiled and put his hand on Samen's shoulder.
"Welcome back to the fold." he said.
Samen smiled and laughed. Now he just had to find a way to find out the plans and get them back to the king in time to stop this before it began.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 08:01
The men all turned at the sound of the doors of the Great Hall as they swung open. "Hail King Elessar, I bring news from the North!" the man called out. Calen smiled to see his old friend, Durninad, who greeted him immediately. Calen grasped his forearms and smiled. "Mellon nin, how good to see you as well. It has been far too long. What news have you from the north?" he asked.
Before Durninad could respond, Samen gave his very abrupt farewells, leaving the hall to do as Elessar had requested. Calen had spent time watching the exchange between the King and Samen, listening very closely to Samen's every word, once again wondering how honest those words were. He had had run-ins with double spies before but could sense no ambiguity in Samen. He seemed to be exactly what he said he was, one who wanted to bring down the Order of the Blue Flame. Calen sighed, deciding they would know soon enough whose side Samen was on. Turning back to Durninad, he once again listened to the report the man was giving to them. He glanced at Tomakin briefly, wondering why he had said nothing in some time. He realized Tomakin looked like he was on the verge of falling asleep and could hardly blame him. Renor was also sitting quietly in the corner, merely watching the King out of the corner of his eye as he picked at what was left on his plate.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 09:21
Tomakin leaned back against one of the marble pillars whilst the two men told their stories. Tomakin never liked people much, they were too complicated, too many secrets and hidden motives. He preferred animals to people, everything they did was just as it seemed. That may be why he seemed to like this King Aragorn, straight to the point and honest, no bull, no underlying meaning to what he said. Just as Samen was finishing up his tale, Tomakin had seated himself at the table to eat some of the food that Elessar had offered him.

Samen's tale of vengeance and retribution was somewhat familiar to Tomakin. Tomakin remembered seeing a blood soaked street full of bodies and in flames, the arms of all the corpses were skinned and the cut flesh was burning. There also was one woman that he saw, shot in the back with an arrow. The whole scene was horrendous, something that will never be out of his mind. Samen was behind that, and now Tomakin knew why, pitying the man and marveling at the thought that he caused so much destruction amongst his companions. Samen was a man filled with hate for those that did this to his love, and Tomakin had not a doubt in his mind that Samen would do all he said and more.

Tomakin put down his bread, his hunger gone as this memory surfaced. Samen wheeled himself about and left the hall, Tomakin didn't know why as he was lost in the memory of the carnage. Tomakin turned towards Calen and the others.

"I believe that Samen is telling the truth, I have seen all of what he has told you. This man has no love for the Flame." Tomakin stood and moved closer to Elessar and Calen. "You must forgive me Elessar, I have no love for Kings of Men and nations. All I care for is this Middle Earth and all that live in its forrests and hills. This thing that approaches is not of this Middle Earth, and that threatens all that I hold dear."

"This comming doom is nothing like that of Sauron, accursed being as he was. This Norgorlab is more powerful than you can imagine. Fearless beings that brought fear and uneasiness to the Wizards are in fear of this being. We must call for all aid available, send people to the Dwarves, Elves, Rohirrim, Shirelings, Rangers, Ents and any other beings that are good. Against this power I fear that even this great city will fall before we can stop this foe."

"I appoligise again for my bluntness, and for cutting you off Master?"

Tomakin turned to the newcommer, intensely curious about what has happened in the North, as that is where he and all the things he holds dear are.
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 10:36
"Elessar," Durninad started, knowing he full atention, "Thranduil, King of Mirkwood, along with many other elves of Middle Earth had suspected the existence of the one called Norgorlab for some time now. Celen, as you most likely know, Thranduil had sent scouts out before you, and when you left Mirkwood they returned, confirming the existance of Norgorlab and the large host he comands."

"Thranduil called for a council of the leaders of the North, which included me, my king (who rules Dale and Laketown), the King Under the Mountain, Celeborn of Lorien, and even some men from Arnor. Thranduil held a vote on wheather we would send aid to Elessar. My king and I were first to vote yes, for the detruction of Dale by the Easterlings in the War of the Ring is still fresh in our minds."

"Elessar, you are not alone in this fight. 3,500 men from Dale and Laketown, 1,500 darves of the Lonely Mountain, and 800 Mirkwood elves are camping on the eastern shore of Long Lake, ready to march south to your aid." And with that Durninad stopped, letting the words sink in to Elessar's mind.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 05:19
Krev offered him a seat, Samen took it and looked at the map Krev had drawn on. He had a map of just Gondor and Mordor, it was covered with red arrows all converging, eventually, On either Edoras or Gondor.
"I say we take half the Order and hit Edoras, we take the other half and attack Gondor with a legion of Haradrim."

"Good plan," said Samen in a frustrated and angry voice. He was playing the role of the man he once was and was doing it perfectly. "If you want to kill everyone!" He slammed his fist on Edoras. "Last I knew you didn't want half of the Order dead! Eomer's got no less than 20,000 Riders in Rohan's army. They'll cut the Order to shreds. We send one third of the Haradrim's finest archers to Edoras along with a legion of Oliphaunt riders."

"What about Gondor then?" asked Krev. Samen took the map and stared at it. He threw it into the fire.

"We go," said Samen in a murderous voice. "The whole Order, we march from the West he'll think we're allies. I can take you straight to him. We cut the enemy at it's core." Krev smiled along with Samen.

"Then march to Gondor we shall."

Samen nodded and left the tent. He strated to head for the exit when Krev caught up with him. "Where are you going?" he asked. "You have to stay here."

"I can't stay here!" snarled Samen. "For one thing i can't stand the smell, for another they have to think I'm on their side and I have to go back and make up some crap, I'll mess up their defenses for you. I'll try to get Eomer's riders to the city, leave Edoras for the burning."

"Right," nodded Krev. "It's good to have you back Samen."

Samen nodded and left. He called his horse when he was far enough away and rode back to the White City. After he got there he went back to the king's chambers. This time Arwen was with him.
"Elessar," he said bowing. "Arwen." He turned back to the king. "I must speak with you."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 04:24
Durninad sat down in a chair next to Calen at the long table when the others sat back down. Elessar silently left the room. "I was was hoping for a responce." Durninad said and sighed deeply. "I have not eaten since early this morning," he said as he started to eat. He put down his fork, "I've been extreamly rude. I have not asked how you are faring Calen, where have your recent travles taken you?" He asked. He listened intently to what Calen's answer was.

"I have been travleing widly recenly." Durninad said. "I've been as far north as the Grey Mountains and as far West as the Blue Mountains. I saw Amon Sul rebuilt and stayed at the house of Tom Bombadil. I became a friend of a man of the Druadan Forest and Eomer, King of the Mark. But enough about me, I would like to know the names of your companions."

[Edited on 3/3/2005 by East_Emnet]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 09:58
When Elessar quietly left the Hall, lost in thought, Durninad sighed and said, "I was hoping for a response."

"Be not disturbed, mellon nin. The King has been overwhelmed this night with reports of evil closing in on Minas Tirith and the rest of the lands of men. He needs a moment to absorb this. Eat and drink and we will talk."

While Durninad ate and drank, Calen filled him in on just what this evil looked like, having seen the Norgorlab first hand. "He is beyond evil, my friend, and he leads a host of death and destruction. The warriors from the north, even were they to arrive on the morrow, will not be enough to hold back the tide. I fear for Arda, as I'm sure the King does as well. But tell, friend, where have you been. I left Thranduil but a week or so ago and you were still off wandering then." Calen smiled at his old friend.

Durninad spoke of his own travels and the two of them caught up with each other's recent lives for a while. Then Durn asked about Calen's companions.

"I must admit, I knew them not as recently as a few days ago. I met Tomakin, Samen and Renor at an inn I had stopped at to rest my horse and myself. Tomakin has no alliegances to any but the land itself. But in that alliegance he is devoted and loyal. It was he who led us to the Ash Mountains and my first view of Norgorlab. Samen....I had some curiosity about him at first. He belonged to the Order of the Blue Flame and I at first wondered if he might not be a spy for them. Having spent some time with him, I find it easier to trust him then I do our third traveling companion. Renor is his name and his soul leaves me cold inside. I'm sure he has his purpose but I would trust him to be loyal to whoever pays the greatest sum."

Both had run out of things to say and Durn was exhausted from the long hard riding he had done to make it to Minas Tirith as quickly as he had. Calen patted Durninad on the shoulder and said, "My old friend, I know you need rest. Let me ask the King's attendents for a room for you. Sleep for a few hours. I promise I will wake you if Elessar returns or if there is any other urgent reason to do so."

With that, Calen walked to one of the attendents and whispered in his ear. The attendent nodded and pointed toward a door at the end of the great hall. Calen returned to Durninad and together they left the hall and walked down a long hallway, where Calen opened a door on the right and gave Durn a gentle shove. "Sleep well, mellon nin. I will wake you as needed."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2005 11:32
Durninad thanked Calen and closed the door and he had found that that all of his gear was in the room. He took the heaviest pack and laid its contents on the table. He layed all of it out neatly: his helmet (which had metal wings like that of eagles), a mail shirt, a metal breastplate with the new symbol of Dale on it (a walled city rising for a dead body of a dragon), a mithril shield (which was a gift from the King Under the Mountain), and his father's old sword. "All of this has never been used accept this old thing." he said as he pick up the sword."Well, there is no escaping battle now."

He put down the sword and went to his bed. Then Durninad fell asleep and drifed into a reoccuring dream of what he saw when Dale was being destroyed 20 years ago. He woke up sweateing and said to himself, "Well, I will be able to get my revenge soon enough." After that, Durninad slept undisturbed for a few hours.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 02:13
"What news do you bring Samen?" asked Elessar.

"Bad," said Samen. "You have to send word to Eomer as fast as you can. 1/3 of the Haradrim and a legion of Oliphaunt riders are heading for Edoras tomorrow morning. And in a days time almost the entire Order of the Blue flmae will march to Gondor. They'll approach from the West, so you think they're allies. I'll be with them and I'm going to lead them to you."

"Why?" asked Elessar.

"Beause Krev, the leader, will want to kill you himself. You can beat him though but you mustn't act like it. Fight for a bit but eventually let him knock you down as disarm you."

"I will not allow some heathen from the South to play me." said Elessar. "I will face him and defeat him."

"And then how will you stand alone against 250 Men?" Elessar was silent.

"Once you fall you must play along and remember that no matter what I say or do I am on your side."

Elessar nodded. "Thank you Samen, if everything works I will be eterniely grateful."

Samen bowed and left the chamber. He had seen where the others went to bed and a guard showed Samen to his. Samen disarmed himself, took off his coat and laid down in bed. In a few moments he was asleep.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 06:45
Tomakin was still sitting back in the shadows of the hall, not wanting to disturb any of the group as they consorted and relived the last few days to one another. This Durninad was a curious fellow, obviously well traveled, yet his soul seemed too young and eager. Tomakin was about to leave and go to the rest houses until Samen came in.

Samen was noticably flustered, he spoke quickly to the King and relayed the plans to him. Then he also told him of the farce he was planning. Curious, yet brilliant in a sense, Samen was quite the tactician, that was to be sure. Then the two men took leave of one another, the King to his side chambers, and Samen to his room. Tomakin followed, as he was the only one left except the guards, and when Samen entered his room, Tomakin stopped, rethinking the plans Samen had with the King.

Tomakin turned into Samen's room and saw the man laying there upon the bed, just barely drifting into the dreams of the night.

"Samen," the man jumped up and had his sword at Tomakin's throat,"sorry for waking you, I could not help but hear your plans for the King. I warn you, should things turn sour, I will dispose of you and whoever else necessary to protect that Man. He carries the hope of Men and for my Middle Earth."

Tomakin had not flinched when Samen had sprang from his bed, nearly decapitating him, but instead just used his finger to lower the sword from his neck as he spoke.

"I do trust you, but betrayal of that will be the last thing you do. Consider this a first, and final, warning."

Tomakin strode forth from the room, not even waiting for the disgruntled man to respond. Tomakin walked down the hall, seeing the one empty room left, but before entering it Tom saw Calen, sitting with his door open, evidently in deep thought.

"Mellon nin, you do look troubled enough, but I must relate this new plan of Samen's to you." Tomakin closed the door to Calen's room and told his tale, only after he was done did Calen utter a sound.

"And you trust this man to do what he says?"

"I trust the man, but all the same, I have issued a warning, as the King is the only hope we have."

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Ascalonnion]
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 11:06
Durninad woke up, unable to sleep any longer. He stood at a window in his room that faced East. "The enemy is out there that way." he thought.

Moving away from the window, he went to the door opened it and looked into the hall. He saw Tomakin walking out of Calen's and called out, "Tomakin, can we talk?" Tomakin nodded and entered the room.

Durninad closed the door behind Tomakin. "Do you know what happened to Dale in the War of the Ring?" Durninad asked.

"Yes, it was destroyed," Tomakin replied.

Durninad nodded and said, "I was 13 then. I lived with my step-father, my mother, my three sisters, and my step-brother." He lowered his head, "They all died at the hands of Easterlings, and were unarmed." He picked up the old sword on the table, "I escaped, with this, it is my father's old sword. I have named it Acharn. Do you know what that means in Elvish?"

"Vengeance." Tomakin wispered.

Then, Durninad placed Acharn on the table and sat down on a chair. He said, "Now, Tomakin, you out of Me, Renor, and Samen are fighting for the right thing. Renor fights, I beleive, just to kill and nothing more. Me and Samen are similar because we fight because we want revenge. But you fight for Middle Earth itself. I can see you are tired. You may leave unless you have something to say."
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 11:26
Samen awoke in the morning and got dressed. He dug into the bottom of his pack and found his old shirt he had worn when he was with the Flame. He put it on and let the feeling of the soft fabric roll over him. He looked at himself in a mirror and so much came back. All that was missing was a torch in his hands and the blood of his victims coating him. He pushed the memories away, put on his leather coat and walked out of his room and saw the others eating their morning meal. He sat down and spoke with them.
"I think should warn you," he said. "Today the eniter Order of the Blue Flame will march on Gondor. I'm going to be leading them. You have to get word to the outer guards not to attack them. I'm going to lead them into the hall of Elessar and for a bit it will look like I am going to betray you but you must know that no matter what I say or do that I am on your side."
"How can we trust you?" asked Renor.
"You can't," said Samen. "But if you don't trust me then my plan won't work and if it doesn't Elessar will die."
"WHAT!" said Tomakin, standing up. "YOU SAID ELESSAR WOULD BE SAFE!"
"I know," said Samen. "But if you trust me and do as I ask them the world will be the better for it."
"What do we have to do?" asked Calen.
"After we enter Elessar's hall gather about 100 men and be standing just outside the hall. When you hear the screams bust in and kill everyone who's not me and Elessar."
"Are you sure that will work?" asked Renor.
"No," said Samen. "But I have faith it will. If you do what I say then the world will be a better place if not then Elessar and I will die under 250 swords. If you come with the soldiers then I know that my plan will work. I leave the descison to you." With that Samen walked away, his long coat flowing behind him.

After nearly two hours he found himself back at the camp watching everyone gear up for war. He went to Krev's tent and found him suiting up.
"Ready to end the world of Men?" asked Samen, smiling evily.
Krev walked to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "We will slay Elessar together. And when I sit as Gondor's king you will be my steward." Samen nodded and went out to line up with the rest of the men. As he saw them all forming up he felt something, it was power. He had had power before he left them and it was a drug and now he had had gotten some of it back.

And he loved it.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 04:12
When Samen had left the great hall, Calen looked long at Tomakin. "And the world will be better for....whom? I do not like this arbitrary decision made by Samen. I would prefer to remove Elessar and his family from here entirely. I think Gondor is going to fall, with or without him here."

Calen paced up and down the length of the hall, wondering if Elessar had heard all the details of this incredible plan. "I will agree that we should have 100 and maybe more waiting for the arrival of the Order, and we should bring them all down. If we can save Samen, perhaps by taking him captive as a cover for our actions, all well and good. But to leave the King to stand before 250 blades alone is insanity. How can we be sure some rebellious, unruly soldier will not swing his blade at the King's neck before we can get to him? No, I do not like this one bit."

Turning once again, he gazed at Tomakin and the Lightfoot, Renor, wondering what was going on in their minds. How could any sane thinking person agree to this, he wondered, but then, he knew so little of these two men. He had more trust for Tomakin and believed that he felt it would be far better for Middle Earth to have a king like Aragorn than someone from the Order of the Blue Flame. And as for the unknown quantity, Renor, surely this strange man could not feel the Order would serve him well, either.

"No, I am not happy about this turn of events at all. I wish to talk to the King. I'd like you to join me but I'd first like to know what you really think of this plan."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 06:41
Durninad, who was also there, stood up and said, "I usualy do not trust men not born of Middle Earth. But, I will side with Samen on this plan. Calen, my good friend, I have not known you to lose hope. But, isn't it always that Middle Earth has to fight a mightier foe age by age? And don't we beat that foe and grow stronger? And have any of you come up with a better plan?"

Durninad sat back down and said, "Do you know why volenteered to be the mesenger of the North Council?" the elf looked up from the table, "Any fighting man of Dale would give anything to be here. You kown why I am here Calen, I don't even have to tell you why I am here. Not only in Dale are men eager to fight. Young men all over Middle Earth have heard what their fathers and other brave men had done durring the War of the Ring, and are restless. They wish to put on their father's armor and weild their father's sword."

Durninad sat back back, "In every single one of my dreams about the destruction of Dale there is the same message. A far off vioce says: 'Stand ready Captain of the Noth. For the gates shall fall and your mightiest foe shall rise. Look for aid in unlikely places'. I am begining to understand the meaning of this message." And with that, Durninad was silent.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 08:59
Calen turned from the two men when he heard his old friend's voice. "Durn, I have not lost hope. Nor am I afraid of battle. The Valar know I have fought bravely in battles for a thousand years and more. But I know the benefit of a great leader....and Aragorn has proven his standing in this regard. Without him to lead the people of Middle Earth, the dominion of men will fall. Were he to agree with this plan, then I too will be behind him all the way. Surely you know this." He went to his friend's side, clasping his shoulder.

"Mellon nin, I know that you as well as many of this land would bravely fight for your homes and families. I only wish to be certain you have the chance to do that." He grinned, knowing his friend would catch the typical elven humor in his last sentence.

Looking at all three of the men, the elf shook his head. "If you all feel at ease with this plan, I ask only that you allow me the assurance that Elessar is also in agreement. I will take council with him and then we shall make our plans." With his hand still clasping Durninad's shoulder, he gave it a slight squeeze. "How soon can the army of the north reach us if they are needed. Think on that while I go speak with the King."

With that, he quickly crossed the hall and disappeared through one of the doorways that led to the King's chambers. He would return as quickly as possible, as he wanted the other three to share their thoughts as to how to plan for the coming attack.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 03:59
Krev, Samen, and Angelus were at the front of the three columns of the men marching towards Minas Tirith. As the White City came into view a cheer went up from the Men.
'They think that they will be Gondor's undoing, but they don't know that the real undoing will be there's.' Samen smiled at this thought. Angelus noticed.
"Aha ha!" he cheered patting Samen on the back. "Our boy's back."
"Yes," said Samen as they neared the Pelennor. "Yes he is."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 10:26
The stage was set. It had been four days since the small group had come to Minas Tirith, and in that short time, the Norgorlab's army was at the gates of the city. Smoke filled the air and war was imminant. There had been a battle in Osgiliath for the access to Pelennor, but it was to no avail. There were a sea of Orcs, Men, Trolls, and other creatures. Leading the army was the Nazgul, the Eight black clad Nightmares on horseback. Overhead there were dragons, red, green, and black along with the winged creatures the Nazgul breed for their use. There were the Haradrim, bringing up the rear, with thirty to fourty Oliphants. And in the center of that sea of vile beings were the Balrog, bearing a great creature on a giant throne, black and terrible, carrying a large mace resembling Morgoth's Grond.

Tomakin and the others were sitting in the throne room with King Aragon. Calen looked pale, as if he sensed the worse, and Durninad, clearly anxious to begin the fight and gain valor for himself. The King and all those in the City knew that they didnt have enough people or resources to last more than a few days, and reinforcements would not be able to arrive for another week. All the women and children had been evacuated from the city, save a few of the healers that refused to leave. Arwen was the last to leave, wanting to stand beside Elessar wherever he went, only leaving to allow the King peace of mind that she would be safe. Among the few to arrive to aid Gondor in this hour, Faramir and Eowen along with their troops came. A plesant surprise for Aragorn came with Gimili and Legolas, as they had brought a few Dwarves and Elves with them as well.

The city was prepared the best it could with what the King had. The Elves were all lined along the walls, along with a quarter of the Men in the city. The Dwarves were lined up at the gate, fully armed and fearsome, carrying their axes and spears, ready for any unlucky creature to get passed the gates and Elven arrows. The rest of the Men were divided up among the trebuchets and cavalry. Legolas and Gimli were to head the dwarves at the gates, while Eowen was to lead the Riders and Faramir the trebuchet fire.

"Master Calen, I wish you to lead the archers on the wall. I need you to have them try to take down those dragons and vile beasts above us. Durninad, I wish you to join Calen in this, help them defend the walls from the towers. Tomakin, you need not stay as you have no bond to fight for us here."

"All the same your Highness, I will stay and help where I can. This will not pass up any that get in its path, and eventually I will have had to face them anyway," Tomakin bowed slightly and gave a chuckle as he was ready to fight anything that challenged him.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 05:19
Samen thought that they might be too late when they saw the army that the Norgorlab built was already on the fields. They hung close to the mountains and when Tomakin saw them at the gate he ordered them opened and closed quickly when all the Men were inside. Although he trusted Samen's plan he didn't like bringing the enemy into the walls of Minas Tirith itself. Samen spoke in a loud, commanding voice.
"My leader wishes to speak with King Elessar, for he has traveled many miles to give aid to the White City." Tomakin nodded as he led them up through the seven level of the city until they reached the halls of Elessar. Samen and Krev went up to the king himself.
"Elessar," said Samen. "May I prsent to you... The Order of the Blue Flame!" With that Krev drew his sword and charged Elessar.
Samen watched the fight with interest. He knew how cunning with a blade Krev was but was shocked at Elessar, for the first half of the fight Elessar used Andruil as natural as if it was part of his arm. Steel against steel, fist to fist and leg to leg as the two fought. After nearly 15 minutes of fighting Samen noticed that Elessar was getting sloppy and then finally Krev knocked him to the ground. He kicked Andruil out of Elessar's hand and Samen picked it up, he stepped up to Elessar along with Krev kept Elessar on the ground with the tip of his sword.
"To think that a dirty, smelly, and old Ranger from the North thought he could lead the world of Men. What a fool." Samen walked up and spoke too.
"And it was me who led them here, isn't that great! You actually trusted me to deliver my old comrades into your hands?"
"You were working for them the whole time," acussed Elessar. "I trusted you!"
"Last mistake you'll ever make," said Krev. He looked at Samen. "Shall we kill him together?" he said riasing his sword, preparing to kill Elessar. Samen drew his own sword and put an angry expression on his face.
"I think not," he said and with that plunged his sword into Krev's chest, straight through his heart killing him almost instantly. He died with a scream.

When the scream came the doors crashed open and nearly 80 arrows flew from the doorway. Thirty hit there mark as the Order ran forward to get at Samen and Elessar. Elessar was on his feet already his sword gleaming as he sliced through the enemy one after another, slowly moving forward but suffereing blows nonetheless. Samen was too as they moved forward and as there allies pushed from the back. Samen killed one and took his sword and, using two, was a lethal animal that killed anything in his path. Finally he met up with Angelus.
"We trusted you!" he yelled as they fought. "You betrayed us!"
"I betrayed a long time ago Angelus," he snarled. "Ever since you killed her I've been waiting for this day."
"You won't win!" he yelled. "Even if you kill all of us the Norgorlab will raze this city to the ground!" Samen slammed him as hard as he could disarming him. Samen kicked him to the ground and brought up his sword.
"Bring him on," said Samen as he cleaved Angelus nearly in half. He turned back towards the main hall and saw all the bodies. All of the Order were dead with about 20 Gondorains with them. Elessar had a nasty cut but it wasn't too bad. He fell to his kness in exhuastion. he looked up at Elessar who was holding out his hand. Samen took it and let Elessar help him up. he walked to the end of the hall where his three companions were.
"Thank you," he said. "For trusting me. amongst other things."
"We have bigger problems now," said Tomakin. "Look." Samen looked and saw that the battle was in full swing. "What do you think?" he asked.
Samen looked back into the hall at Krev's body. "One down," he said. He turned and looked at the Norgorlab's army and at the Norgorlab itself. "One to go."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 12:50
Durninad, Tomakin, Renor, and the 100 Gondorians waited at the door of the Hall of the Kings, after the doors had closed behind the Order. Calen had decided not to take part in the plan and went to the walls of the city. Durninad was ready, with his armor on, helmet upon his head, and shield in hand. He quietly drew Acharn from it's sheath and waited. A soldier at a window was to give them the signal to make their move. Everyone got uneasy when minutes passed with no signal, "What possibly be going on to take this long?" one man said aloud. Later, the man at the window drew his sword. That was the signal.

"For Gondor!" several men shouted as they pushed the door open. Tomakin, Renor, and Durninad were first to charge in after the first arrows had been fired. As the Gondorians streamed in, Durninad tried to look above the fight to see where Elessar and Samen were but couldn't. It was a confusing battle, with so many men cramped into the hall. Outnumered, they fought their way to Elessar.

When the fight had ended, Durninad had walked up to Samen and said, "I now no longer have any doubts about you, if we survive this fight we may become good freinds. I ask if you can fight with me and Calen on the walls when Norgorlab attacks?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 05:45
Elessar and Calen spoke intensely about the plan of Samen. The king was more certain than Calen about the outcome, that the Order of the Flame would be decimated by this plan. Calen agreed finally to the plan but with an alternative.

"Elessar, I believe that with Durninad, Tomakin and Renor backing you with the Gondorian soldiers at their side, and if Samen is speaking truth, you would need me elsewhere. The soldiers of Gondor will be looking out at a sea of enemies and their courage may fail them without someone to lead them. Let me do that for you while my companions and you take care of the Blue Flame."

The king nodded at his old friend. "You are right, as usual, Calen. Lead the men of Gondor until I have brought down the Blue Flame and then I will join you."

Calen left the king to his fate and stepped quickly through the seven levels of Gondor until he reached the massive gate of the city. There he laid out plans with Legalos and Gimli. They would hold the gate as long as possible, allowing the elven archers to bring down as many of the enemy as possible from the walls overlooking the fields of Pelannor. He then tracked down Faramin and Eowyn, making certain they were mounted and ready. Calen then ran up to the Elves, telling them what to aim at first.

"Bring down the Nazgul and the dragons first. Then aim for the Balrogs. I doubt we can bring them down but we may distract them enough to leave the Norgorlab unprotected long enough to fire a catapult directly at him."

Then Calen, the soft spoken, quiet elf stood above the men of Gondor and his voice rang out for all to hear. "Men of Gondor and Rohan, Elves of the green woods, Dwarves of the deep caves.....we have been here before. We know what is to come. You are fighting for all of the peoples of Middle Earth. Keep your courage and your faith. Fight, and keep your honor." His voice rang out through the city and all who heard stood straighter and taller, readying their weapons.

Then the first attack from the enemy flew directly at the gate of the city. The Nazgul and dragons flew down from the skies. The Elven archers let loose their arrows and brought down several and the archers of Gondor began to shoot from the wall above the gate, pushing back the front line.

Calen looked out across the field of Pelannor and knew they would never be able to survive this onslaught but they would not fall easily nor as cowards. Suddenly, a wounded Elessar and the rest of his companions were at his side. Samen stood among them. Calen smiled his first smile of the day. Reaching out, he clasped Samen's arm. "I was wrong to doubt you, mellon nin. I will be proud to fight at your side wherever we find ourselves from this day forward."
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 06:56
"Waste not the time mellon nin. Mine bow thirsts to sing its song of death. Calen, if you will kindly point me to the nearest barrells of arrows I will gladly begin my song of arrows to be offered to Ilúvatar when I meet him at the end of time. And Calen, has the love of your Orcish breathren subsided in you? Come, join me in the song of bows, I even care to wager that I am just as skilled, or more so, than you in this."

Tomakin let out a laugh as he clapped Calen on the back, already on his way to the steps leading up to the wall.

"I will be keeping tally, anyone care to make sport of this? Losers buy winner all the ale he can hold."

Tomakin charged up the steps, laughing like a child who just found a new toy. Sure enough, he found several barrells of quivers full of arrows, rolling them to the edge of the wall. He withdrew his bow, stretching it and feeling its pull. He finally slung a quartet of quivers around his waist, knocking the first arrow and drawing it to its fullest. There was a particularly ugly Troll charging the Gate that caught Tom's eye. Letting loose his arrow, it flew swift and clean through the kink in its chest armor, killing it instantly and toppling it, crushing several Ocrs underneith its tremendous weight.

Death was a drug, a powerful drug. Tomakin took savage pleasure in felling creature after creature with his bow, every arrow ridding Arda of a foul creature. It was not 'till he had exausted the three barrells of arrows he had claimed that he realized Calen was firing arrows just as fast and furiously as he.

"Calen! Mellon nin! I see that your love for your dark breathren has not been lost! I am at 183 and still ready for more. My bow has not yet had its fill of arrows this day."

Tomakin glanced at the sky, although it had been dark already, he could tell it was well into the evening. Dragons and Nazgul still flew overhead, but the Elves were doing a fearsome job at keeping them at bay. They had managed to fell several of the dragons, some of which were still writhing on the plain, crushing those it fell on and any who got too near. A large ram was being brought up, and it was for the Gate, but it was much larger than Grond.

"Calen, I wish to be at the gate, my sword shivers for some action."
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 10:18
After the bloodbath Sarac went to his room. He tossed aside his Blue Flame cloak and picked up his black shirt and pulled it on. He did the same with his pants. He threw on his black trenchcoat and strapped on his sword. When he stepped outside the battle had already begun.

Arrows from every level of the city were flying into the mass of enemies the stretched from the very gates of Minas Tirith to the ruins of the Morannon itself. Not having a bow himself Samen went to the East side of the city where several siege towers were advancing on the city. Samen gathered about 50 swordsmen and they ran along the battlements towards the towers. As their drawbridges crashed onto the city walls and the Orcs poured out they were met by the most fearsome swordsman this side of the Anduin and 50 fighting men who were ready to kill all in their path.
"ARGH!" cried Samen as a flash of mithril and steel met the first Orc, cleaving him into two. In a split second the battle had begun. Samen and his men were so full of fire and spirit. That no Orc got more than five steps before he found a piece of Gondorian metal stuck in him. Black blood of Orc soon began to run down the walls of the city itself before the Orc abandonded trying to strom the walls.

Samen smiled as he jogged back towards the gate the taste of death in his mouth, where most of the fighting was until he saw the ram that the Orcs had brought up. Rams had started out as just a trunk of a tree, then they had begun carving the hads of rams onto the fronts. Finally, during the War of the Ring, the Orcs had brough Grond, the Wolf's Head; but this was much larger. It was impossible to tell what it was at first glance but it didn't take long. It had the head of a Balrog, horns and all. It had two fists with spikes level with the head so it was like three rams instead of one. It's body as like that of a dragon and a fire brewed at it's tail." Sarac ran to the door above the gate and peered to see what was holding it up. If they could shoot the ropes then maybe it wouldn't get to the gate. Samen's heart sunk when he saw the lenghths of strong thick chains holding it up. He looked behind him to the Dwarves and Elves that wer down there, ready to hold the gate. Men were there also and Tomakin among them. Samen ran down the wall and stood at his side.
"183," said Tomakin. "So far."
"227," said Samen. Suddenely he heard a raptors cry and saw Ash zoom out of his room up top the city. 'Be safe,' he thought as the bird flew into the depths of the White Mountains. Then the sounds of the Orc warddrums stopped. Samen heard a great rattling of chains and then saw the mighty gates of Gondor shake
"The second hammerstroke falls..."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 05:12
While Samen was waiting for for the siege towers in front of him to latch on to the walls, Durninad, on another part of the walls, saw seige towers moving towards him. The markings on these towers were not Orcish, "Why, I would never forget those symbols," He said to himself, "those are Easterling siege towers." He redied his shield and drew Acharn, "Acharn shall live up to its name." he thought as he put his helmet on. He turned to the soldiers around him who were visibly frightened and said, "Men of Gondor, the first foes we shall face are the Easterlings, powerful wariors who are heartless in victory. You must stand against their attacks or your homes will be burnt to the ground. We must stand firm or the world of men we know and love will be gone. Let us fight with courage!" A small cheer went up from the men around him.

By then, Durninad turned back towards the towers, he saw they were closer to the walls, and one was right in front of him. As the drawbridge lowered to latch on to the wall, he cried, "Acharn, Acharn, Acharn!" An Easterling, with halbred raised jumped off the drawbridge was immediatly was stabbed by Durninad, "One." Durninad thought as he took out anouther man running towards him.

Some time later, he saw a strangely shaped siege tower moving for the wall were he was standing. When the tower reached the wall, a mountain troll, armed with sword, shield, and armor, came out of it and started started knoking men and elves left and right. "154." he said as he felled anouther Easterling. He looked and saw that more of these troll towers were rolling up to the wall. He then felt the wall beneath him shake as the giant ram was pounding on the gate. A wave of dispair came upon Durninad, "We will not be able to hold much longer." he thought.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 05:00
Samen was worried. Trolls on the walls and the gates were being pounded relentlessly. Finally he worried feeling evaporated and fell into utter despair.The gates had a hole broken it and the red fire of the ram could be seen. Suddenely a blast of fire shot through the hole. Samen didn't know what was causing the schroing heat until he heard voices from the walls yelling that it was the tail. The hole began getting wider and wider. Then just as the gates were finally destroyed and Orcs began pouring in the Trolls from the siege towers began leaping from the walls down onto the Elves and Dwarves watching the gate.

Samen charged forward with most of the Dwarves to meet the oncoming sea of Orcs. For every one he slayed it seemed five ran around him as they poured into the city. Luckily there were several hundred archers on the second and third level who could stem the tide into the city for a time at least.

Once things began to get out of hand. When the bows of the Elves could no longer hold off the Trolls and the Orcs were coming with more ferocity than ever Samen heard a welcoming sound, the cry of birds. He saw, coming from the White Mountains, about twenty Eagles. They came tearing down out of the sky in front of the gates sweeping away ranks and ranks of Orc, and more came and lifted the Trolls high into the air and dropping them from unimaginable heights.

"The Eagles are coming!" yelled Samen as he continued ti fight off Orcs at the gate. "The Eagles are coming!"
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 10:47
From the walls there were shouts and screams from those that were fighting, and fierce were the battles. Tomakin had been watching the group that Samen had taken onto the walls, they were fighting admirably. Many were the Orcs and trolls that were streaming from the towers, but few were the survivors of the Men's onslaught. Tomakin was watching a particularly heated battle between a Troll and a soldier with a longsword when Samen joined him.

"The second stroke has fallen. We shall now defend the City from those who stream in the Gate."

Although the Gate had withstood about a day's worth of pounding, it was inevitable that it would be breached. Tomakin was standing with the Dwarves at the gate when it finally gave in to the pounding. together they rushed forward with Tomakin and Samen as they flew to face the incomming foes. Fierce were the Dwarves, Tomakin was amazed at the skill and speed of them. Archers on the walls helped to keep the flow from breaking the few that were defending the city at the Gate.

Many were the deaths of those defending the city, but greater were the deaths of those that were trying to overthrow the world of men. The outerwalls were burried about half the way up with dead or dying Orcs and Trolls that were trying to break through or had fallen off. At the gate there were piles of Orcs that were being felled one after another by the archers and Dwarves.

But there were too many of them, and the archers could not keep up the fire and surpress the dragons and Nazgul at the same time. It was begining to become hopeless.

"THE EAGLES ARE COMMING, THE EAGLES ARE COMMING!"

Tomakin turned around to see twenty Eagles swooping down upon the hoard of Orcs and Trolls, some were engaging the Dragons and Nazgul riders. Tomakin fought even harder now, invigorated by the appearance of the new arrivals. His sword rang, singing its own song of death as it passed through Orc and Troll and Man. A welcome sound. Tomakin glanced over at Samen, fighting just as hard as he, covered in the black blood of the Orcs he was felling in his renewed rage.

Thus it continued through the day, and into the next night. The oncomming hoard of the Norgorlab was relentless, whenever one fell, four replaced it, for every tower destroyed, two were brought up. It was tiresome, and even those with the most stamina were now exhausted. The enemy had forced the defenders of the City to retreat to the third level, where they had sufficiant archer fire to beat back the ranks of Orcs and Trolls, and the Eagles to cover them in the air from the dragons and Nazgul.

They had not yet breached the third gate, and those who could, took some rest before the comming onslaught began. Tomakin was one of them, he and Samen had made it through the day, the first to the fight and the last to abandon it. They were sitting inside one of the abandoned houses eating a morsel they had found in a cupboard.

"So Samen, what is your count now, last I had known you were at 382. But that was before the fight for the second level. I am now at 457, not counting those trolls we double-teamed before retreating back to here."

[Edited on 15/3/2005 by Ascalonnion]
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 03:48
Durninad was last to leave the walls of the first level, and one of the last to reach to third level before it's gates closed. His helmet was gone, and he had a large gash on his forehead which he had hastily bandaged with a white piece of cloth. He was tired yet still ready to fight. He wandered around the third level, looking for familiar faces. "I wonder how the others fared." he said aloud. He then thought about the eagles. If they hadn't arrived, he reasoned to itself, we all probably would be camping in the fifth level tonight. He looked from house to house, looking for someone he knew. He eventually came to the house were Samen and Tomakin were lodging in. He burst in to the house saying, "Tomakin, Samen, I am glad to see you both in one piece."

Tomakin replied, "We are glad to see you, too."

Then Samen said, "Since we haven't seen you since the morning."

"Tomakin, are you still keeping tally?" Durninad asked.

"Yes, I am." he answered.

"Well," Durninad said, "I am at 481, and I brought down a good number of trolls, the fight was very hard up on the wall when the gate went down. I thought you were both dead when I saw all of those orcs streaming in." He changed the subject, "Do you know were Calen is?"

[Edited on 16/3/2005 by East_Emnet]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 05:09
"I make my count 531 at least." said Samen. The two looked at him suprised. "Well if you don't count the Blue Flamer's it's only 437." When Durninad brought up Calen Samen's ears perked up.
"You're right." said Samen. "I haven't seen him or Renor for a while now. I hope they're okay."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 06:14
The elven archers at the top of the walls were running out of arrows as the orcs, trolls and uruk-hai ran through the main gate, which had been crashed to the grounds by the huge ram. The enemy had fallen by the thousands, both inside the walls of the city and outside. The ever oncoming army were having to climb over their own dead to enter the city but this they did, succeeding in beating back the defending army of Gondor to the third level.

Calen had caught brief glimpses of his companions throughout the battle but had lost sight of them some time ago. He fought side by side with Elessar and also Legolas and Gimli who had come up from the main gate to the second level to join the king. Anduril cleaved the orcs and trolls but the king had taken slicing blows of his own. A troll was clomping up behind Elessar as he fought an uruk-hai, raising his huge arm to bring down the King.

"Gimli! Here!" Calen grasped Gimli's arm and they both turned and attacked the troll, bringing him to his knees, where Legolas finally killed him with an arrow directly in his eye.

There was a brief break in the horde and Calen turned to the King, pulling on his arm. "Elessar, we must get into the third level before they close the gates." The four of them ran for the gates, which were quickly being sealed. Elessar called to his soldiers who, noticing they were leaving their King at the mercy of the enemy, quickly opened the gates enough so that he and his companions could get through, and then slammed them shut, sealing off the Third level of the city to the enemy. Once inside, Calen fell to his knees, holding his side where blood was dripping through his fingers. Just as he had pushed Legalos through the gate, an orc sword had slashed at him, cutting through his tunic and breaking a rib in the process. Elessar, Gimli and Legalos pulled him to his feet, their arms supporting him as they guided him to a healer who was assisting another soldier. Elessar pulled the healer away from the soldier, who was only slightly injured, and ordered him to care for Calen at once.

Calen submitted to the healer's care until he had bandaged the Elf's side and then Cal asked that he be assisted in reaching the rooms that he and his companions had been sharing. He needed to know how they had fared. As they climbed to the small house, Elessar told Calen to rest as long as possible (meaning, as they all knew, until the third level gate fell) and that he, Elessar, would head for the Citadel. It would give him the time he needed to determine how many of the defenders of Gondor had survived and what the condition of the great white city was. Grabbing Legolas and Gimli, he left Calen at the door and ran off quickly.

Calen took a deep breath, which hurt mightily, and opened the door, entering the house. There he encountered his friends. He smiled and with some difficulty, stepped across the room, grasping each of their arms as he passed. When he reached a seat, he lowered himself slowly and gazed in exhaustion at Tomakin, Durninad, Samen. A slow pained grin curled his lips upward and he quietly said, "521. Who owes me an ale?" Looking around the room one more time, he asked, "Where is Renor?"
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 09:09
Tomakin let out a hearty laugh at Calen's words.
"You have not won yet dear Calen, but I think we all could share in some drinks and short fellowship." Tomakin got up and picked up a small barrel and some mugs. "As for Renor I assume he has run off out of fear of the enemy. Though I cannot blame him for it."

Tomakin passed the mugs around to the members, and they all drank deeply. Amidst the banging of the gate and the shouts of others outside the small group sat and conversed about their deeds the last few hours. Samen and Durninad were still covered in the blood of their victims, and some of their own. It seems that none of the group had escaped injury, Tomakin himself was sporting a large gash on his arm and a bruise on his head from taking a blow from a troll before Samen caught it between the ribs with his sword.

"Samen and I were fighting in the lower quadrent of the level when we heard the sound for the retreat. He wanted to stay, but it was hopeless, too many men had already turned and ran, or were dead. I do have to marvel at the dwarves though, they never back down or leave on their own. Ha, I witnessed a rider that had to come and pick up one and had to drag him kicking and screaming up to the third level."

Tomakin then looked into his mug, a downcast expression on his face.

"I fear that we have yet to face the third and final blow to the city, the Norgorlab has not yet taken to battle, and that will be the end of the city once he does. I know now that no amount of reinforcements could help us turn the tide. It has been 3 days, and we would need 4 more before we could hope anyone could reach us. But I fear at this pace we may only last for 2 at the most, before our enemy becomes impatient and joins his host in attacking the city."
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 11:54
When Tomakin said that they would only last more 2 days, an idea suddenly came to Durninad. He put down his mug saying, "Why didn't I think of this before. Tomakin, the reason why we will only last 2 more days this way is that we are fighting this battle the wrong way. Once the main gate was down, the orcs went through the first level almost at will. My idea is to hem the enemy in once they break down the gate," he said pointing in the direction of the third gate. Then took a map of the city that was on the table and drew a semi-circle around the gate on the map, "What we should do is barricade the streets. We could have a large barricade made in a semi-circle around the gate. When the orcs burst through the gate, they will instinctively push forward towards the barricade, which the dwarves and men of the city could be guarding. Arrows can be fired from behind the barricade in addition to the elves on the walls," he drew the lines of fire on the map, " and they will be trapped and at the mercy of our archers. And if the break through the barricade, there can be another one behind it. This could buy more time for the reenforcements." He stopped at that, confident that the plan would work.
Ascalonnion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 06:49
"It is a good plan in theory Durninad, but we have neither the resources nor the time to build these barracades. We do not have enough man power nor rubble to build enough of these to make more than a few hours of difference. Although I do agree that we are not fighting this battle the way we should. I think that the archers are the key to this battle, but it still is not a battle we can win. But, to minimize casualties, I think we should post the entirety of our archers on the peak, in the courtyard. That way they can cover a larger area and still have the heigth advantage for the time. However, I feel it is neccesary to start planning a retreat, because once the Norgorlab lets loose his mace, none will stand for long."

Tomakin looked into his peers faces and saw that they all saw this, even Durninad, who was fighting back this notion with all his might. Tomakin took a long tug on his mug before he spoke again.

"Retreat in front of such odds is not cowardice, it is stratagy. Just like the deer and elk, they will run from their predators, but they will eventually turn and attack, both confusing and stunning their foes."

"I do not know how the rest of Middle Earth is faring at this moment, but we must find more allies in this fight. If we are crushed here, then we leave the rest of Middle Earth to the mercy of this Norgorlab."

"With that I agree Master Tomakin."

The group turned to see King Aragorn and his two companions standing in the doorway.

"But what of those that are still here and fighting this with all their might because they cannot accept this reality. Would you dash their hopes and courage?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 05:31
Calen rose painfully to his feet to greet the King, his hand over his heart, his head bowed. "My Lord, we were just talking about exactly that. Should we take a stance for as long as possible or should we retreat? I have some thoughts on this matter. Tomakin suggested that we place the archers on the highest ground....and I feel this is the right move, if only to hold the horde at bay. However, we should arrange for your retreat as quickly as possible. You are the heart and soul of Middle Earth. Without your presence at the head of our armies, all will fail anyway." His breath caught as a slash of pain shot through his side and he breathed slowly, easing his mind and body to absorb it.

When the pain had eased, he continued. "I also think it is of great importance that we send riders to the outlying lands...Rohan, Mirkwood, the Shire. We need to warn them and prepare them for what is to come. It is too late to send for aid here but perhaps we can take the remnant of Gondor's army to their aid. The city is going to fall, regardless of what we do. A city is naught but blocks of stone and timber beams. It can be rebuilt. But the lives of the people of Middle Earth can not be replaced. They will need all the help they can get and only we stand in a position to offer it. After all, we are the only ones who know what they will be facing, thus are in a better position to plan counter-attacks."

He took another deep healing breath and gazed at the group, one face at a time. Then he turned to the King once more. "Elessar, I plead with you. Make plans now for the retreat to through the White Mountains into Rohan."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email