Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thicker than Water ((Free)) Keep, please
on: March 19, 2005 08:02
(( Hi all - this RP is free and currently unscripted. I've created an OOC thread so that we can discuss potential plots/relationships etc that might develop as we go along. But a couple of requests: One - please keep it realistic. Believable characters please - no all-powerfuls, no random healing etc. It's more fun if people who get shot stay shot, lol. Two - please stick to Tolkien canon as much as you can. Three - no really short posts, please. At least a good-sized paragraph, and preferably more.

And now that's over... Come on, join!

~Nel))

----------------------------------------------------

Halhigil glanced up warily at the overcast sky before continuing to sharpen his knife. The sky had been threatening to rain for several hours now, and nothing save the heavy mist had yet come of it despite the dark clouds. The ellon regretted the last thought as a cold drop of water trickled down his collar. "I have jinxed things now," he told his horse, who shifted position restlessly.

Halhigil sighed and stood up, sheathing his knife and slipping the whetstone back into his pocket. He would have to finish sharpening it another time. "I am not currently in the good graces of Lady Luck," he observed as the drizzle intensified quickly into a heavy shower. The weather had been foul for the last week - Halhigil merely hoped that the snow would hold off for a while. He had better things to do than wait around in a cave for days on end until the blizzards subsided; when the snows came to the Misty Mountains, they did so with a vengeance. He could hardly see five feet in front of his face as it was; the mists had been light on the lower ground, but here the fog was thick and cloying.

"Sirdhail, aphado nin." Halhigil walked cautiously into the rain and fog with his head down against the wind, the chestnut gelding following him willingly enough. Eru, he could scarcely see! Ordinarily he would have ridden, but he did not trust the uneven, rocky paths or the visibility any further than he could throw Sirdhail. Halhigil tucked a strand of dark hair behind his ear uneasily, grey eyes scanning the area for shelter. The rain would not do him any harm, but in his experience it was best avoided if possible - and leading a horse over the narrow paths in this fog did not appeal. There were too many ravines and sharp drops in these parts for Halhigil's liking.

Sirhail snorted and shook his head. Halhigil opened his mouth to say something, then closed it again as he heard what sounded like a voice, carried on the wind. He looked over his shoulder but saw nothing. 'Now you are hearing things,' he thought to himself. Halhigil narrowed his eyes and stared into the heavy mist, but could see nothing, even with his keen Elven sight. He shook his head and turned to go.

No - there it was again. A voice, faint and echoing. The words were indistinct, but the voice was certainly there. "Where are you?" he shouted, squinting through the rain. Halhigil would have preferred a downpour to this semi-blindness; it made him feel vulnerable. "Where are you?" he repeated.

((Tag someone? Lol. All my characters are in the Db.))

-----------------------
ellon - male elf
aphado nin - Follow me (Sindarin)

[Edited on 15/2/2007 by nelenata]
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Thicker than Water ((Free)) Keep, please
on: March 19, 2005 07:12
((Suilad! Well, I shall probably make a stop into that OOC soon My character's name is Atma Silmani and she's not in the DB yet since she's new and I want to play with her a little first. I also don't know how often I'll be able to post VERY often because of school however, barring something drastic, I shall try to post at least once a week. Preferably more often depending on how fast this one ends up going.))

"Come on! You stupid horse, just...MOVE!" Atma slapped the large glossy horse on...it's? her's?--she wasn't sure whether it was a boy or girl yet. No matter what the gender of the beast, it seemed determined to stay exactly where it was for however long IT wanted to. No more, but certainly no less, to Atma's great consternation.

She was a small girl, just 14--that was one thing she kept very close track of, her age--barefooted, with thin, almost scrawny limbs and dark brown hair that was in a rough knot at the base of her neck. Her eyes were brown too, large eyes that Atma knew could (and had) charm many a village person and street-seller.

"Come ON!!!!" It couldn't be long before someone came, she knew, and Atma jammed her heels into the horse, slapping and kicking until she was out of breath. Her small force did not perturb the immense hulk she sat on in any noticeable way, except maybe by a small flick of an ear. It was this mist, Atma knew and she raised her fist, yelling at the sky, her words lost almost immediately in the gloom. It was cold too. Atma shivered in the short summer dress she wore. The dress had ridden half-way up her sides, since Atma would not have ridden sidesaddle even if she knew how; she was no lady and she knew it, she was simply herself.

"Fine. Have it your way! At least you're warm." She flopped forward, laying her cheek against the start of the mane, one arm relaxed down one of the horse's side, and the other twining in the horse's thick, black mane. She wasn't really sure what color it was, except somewhere between white and black. Atma supposed that made it grey, but in this mist, it was hard to tell.

There was a voice somewhere. Atma sat up; they couldn't have noticed her new mount missing THIS fast! She tried slapping the horse again, and this time, startled, the horse jumped into a trot. She guided him away from where the voice had seemed to come from and prayed that the horse would keep moving. Luck was not with her, however, for out of the gloom there appeared a large mounted shape, huge to her, which called thorugh the intervening few yards.

"Hello! Are you alright? I heard you calling!"

Atma pounded her fist onto a leg; in the mist, she had ridden right into whoever this was instead of away. She slid off, ready to run if the possessor of that voice tried to attack her, spreading her arms to both sides as if to hide the horse, who seemed just as happy to stop again. She knew street fighting, but she was smart too. She would have no chance against someone mounted and probably armed.

"Hello? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine! Stay away, he's mine!" Her voice sounded tinny and weak even in her own ears. She clamped her mouth shut as he rode nearer, drawing herself up defiantly.
Yavannildi and proud!
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 10:08
(Hi! This looks really fun My character, Nellas, is not at the database, but hopefully will be soon. Hope you don't mind my joining!)

The little horse-thief was not far. Creeping silently through the dark woods, Nellas heard the young girl forcefully trying to get the animal to move. The elf maiden smiled inspite of herself. "Every bounty hunter for miles could hear that racket," she thought.

Nellas had been resting from her travels that day, in a small country town. She had witnessed the girl steal a horse from some horse-salesman. Feeling pity for the thief because she looked so young and desparate, Nellas had not given her away. No doubt the girl needed the animal very much. Besides, the salesman was bound to find out soon anyway. Hoping to help her in some way, Nellas had followed the girl out of town into the wilderness. The girl looked tough for her age and size, but there were always dangers in the wild.

Peering through the trees, Nellas caught sight of the fugitive. She was sitting on her stolen horse, kicking it in the sides. "Fine. Have it your way! At least you're warm." The girl then said. She slumped down on the horse's back.

Nellas was about the step out of her hiding place, when she heard a voice calling. Another figure aproached in the rain; mounted and probably armed. Was it an enemy?

"I'm fine! Stay away, he's mine!" The girl replied to the stranger. She straightened and looked quite brave inspite of the unknown stranger, Nellas noted with admiration. But no matter how brave this child was, she was no match for the rider. Quick as an arrow, Nellas leapt from her hiding place and sprung between the girl and the aproaching rider. "Don't worry, I'm on your side," she said quietly to the girl, hoping to gain her trust though they had never met.

"Hello stranger, who might you be?" She said to the rider. Whoever it was, he would no doubt hear the elven tone in her voice. "If you are a friend to elves and men, then you are most welcome to us." In the rain and fog, Nellas waited for a reply from the dark figure.

[Edited on 20/3/2005 by NellasTaralom]
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 12:50
OOC: this looks promising. may i?
i think i'll place my character somewhere else; a group of people meeting in a forest is slightly overdone. also, Xenith isn't in the database yet, because i just kinda threw him in here. but i'll gladly tell you about him if you wish; just pm me.

Xenith could hear the racket outside his little shack/hut. (OOC: hint, hint, lol) Lulled to sleep by the rain, the racket roused him from his nap, and he was slightly cranky. Mumbling curses under his breath, he rose, stomping to the door and throwing it open, silver-grey eyes persuing the wet greens and browns of the forest. Taking pause, he heard a male voice and two female. Whatever. As long as they didn't try to barge into his dwelling. Vagabonds didn't share, unless they felt like it, and he didn't.

He sighed, and stretched his tall, lanky frame, his boots clopping along the wooden floor as he wandered around, deciding what to do with his time. He had already swiped a loaf of bread from the vendor of a village a few miles back, and few pieces of jewelry to pawn to a swarthy, rather seedy looking individual that was more than likely not the prized hero of his locale. No matter. It gave him enough money for a few more meals. He would also have to leave soon; it was a shame, really. He enjoyed this little shack - it was quiet, and the forest gave a peaceful ambiance - peace that he seldom experienced. But, as it always happened, he would be discovered or noticed soon, and would have to leave to avoid imprisonment. He hated prison.

He hurried outside to gather the pans and pots he had found and laid out to gather rainwater to drink. He brought them inside and helped himself to a hearty drink.

Where to go now? he wondered. How long could he keep this up, drifting from village to village, city to city. He heard the names of several cities - Minas Tirith, for one - and other places - the Undying Lands, that was a joke. His kind didn't deserve to go the Undying Lands.

He blew the air out from his cheeks. Where to go now?

[Edited on 20/3/2005 by Beleg_Strongbow]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 08:01
((Wow, nice to have you all! School... ack, I know the feeling, Timpenin! That's fine. Lol.))

-----------------------

"I'm fine! Stay away, he's mine!"

Halhigil raised his eyebrows slightly as he slipped off Sirdhail's back. "Calm down. Did I ever question that?" He approached slowly, interested against his will. Two figures presently materialised out of the fog - a girl, and a horse. 'Guilty conscience.' The thought sprang into his mind unbidden as he noted her defensive air and the way she stood as if to hide the horse, which was a large mare of an indeterminate grey colour. 'Valar, do not be so hasty, Halhigil.' The girl was thin, and young - she looked to be in her early teens, perhaps, though Halhigil was not accustomed to guessing the age of mortal Men. Despite her age and size, she stood boldly rather than simply running. Halhigil had seen that hunted yet defiant expression on someone else's face before, though he was at a loss to say whose or when.

"He?" the ellon said aloud, a smile tugging at his mouth involuntarily. The horse's ears were half back, as if she was determined to stay precisely where she was. "That is a mare that you have there." The girl twitched as if to run - Halhigil raised his hands slightly, palms open. "I mean you no harm - I apologise if I startled you."

"Hello stranger, who might you be? If you are a friend to elves and men, then you are most welcome to us."

Another figure slipped in front of the girl - from her voice and the effortless grace of her movement, she was an elleth. Halhigil chuckled slightly. "I am indeed a friend to Elves and Men, being one of the former. My name is Halhigil."

----------------------------------------

Halhigil - Hidden dagger
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 01:40
(OOC: hey....this looks very promising....so i was wondering, as there are....*counts*....2 elves, a wandering....person, and a girl here, i don't want to add an extra chara....but i was just wondering if it was ok if i just kinda....played my part through Atma's stolen horse's POV....is that weird, or can i just go with it? (note: horse POV idea is kellidra's, i just thought it was really cool) so...i guess, here it goes)

"Come on! You stupid horse, just...MOVE!" *slap*

The deep grey horse was entirely unaffected by the human's feeble attempt to make it move. All the more reason for it to look unaffected and happy with its position. The small mortal proceeded to kick, nudge, slap and urge the animal into movement, all to no avail.

"Fine. Have it your way! At least you're warm." The horse could feel the human's thin body flop against their own, hoping to keep from freezing in the rain that was threatening to continue for some time with considerable force. Not that either situation mattered at all the the beast.

Ears pricked; someone was near. The human must have heard it too, because it looked up and appeared somewhat frightened. Slipping into a comfortable trot, the horse walked in the direction that the voice came from, fairly certain that the human would not even know. Payback, perhaps in some way, for moving the horse from dinner with its previous buyer to 'travelling' in fog and rain. Not a chance that would be let off without some retribution.

"I'm fine! Stay away, he's mine!" The human atop the strong horse shouted to the figure that they had encountered. If a horse could laugh, no doubt it would have; the girl was....perhaps the size of the the horse's leg, and claimed its ownership.

"He?" The shape dismounted and replied to the shouted command. "That is a mare that you have there."

....And finally, the mortals have correctly guessed the gender of the grey horse. Flicking one ear forward in acknowledgement of the ellon who introduced himself, she prepared to listen to the interaction between the occupants of the road.

Halhigil was the elf that had first called to the human on the horse's back. So far, the one in front of her had not announced their name, and the one mounted, it seemed, had no intention of stating her's anytime soon...but that could change at any moment.

Thunder rumbled across the darkened sky, vibrating the ground on which they stood. Introductions should be made quickly, or these riders will all freeze.

(yes, i will head to the OOC and drop a note....later!)
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 02:34
(Welcome ppl! Lady~Shay, that's a very creative idea!!)

Nellas was completely drenched, and her brown hair clung to her face and her shoulders. Her long grey cloak seemed to weigh ten pounds heavier, weighed down with water, but inspite of this, she laughed merrily in relief when Halhigil spoke. "An elf! Thank Eru, I was afraid of someone far worse. Greetings, Halhigil. I'm Nellas."

She turned back to the girl on the horse. "I'm sorry to spring out all of the sudden, but I though you might have needed help. Forgive me if I startled you." She patted the stolen horse on the nose. "I don't know if you plan to keep running, or where you want to go. But right now we need shelter from this rain, or you will catch your death."

She raised her hand and whistled. In a few minutes, her tall brown horse came trotting out of the woods and Nellas mounted hastily. "Now, where to go? I suggest we try the woods. I thought I saw a hut in the forest a while back. We might stay there until the rain lets up. And if we can't find it, we may find something else. The trees will not shelter us from the rain very well, but if we find no other shelter, they are better than nothing." They all headed into the trees.

(ooc: We can probably encounter Beleg's character now...if that's okay with everyone )
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 05:55
OOC: how's this?

Xenith had nodded off again, only to be rudely awakened by a loud thumping on the shack door. It seemed loud at least. He was near yelling to the intruder to turn back around and drown in the forest, but something told him not to. He listened to the knocking for a while, pondering whether to answer or no, then heard muffled voices - the same ones as before.

"Perhaps there's no one here."

"Who cares? It's wet! I hate being wet!"

"I don't think a bath would hurt you, little one."

He rolled his eyes, growling under his breath. Naturally. When he didn't wish for visitors (and he never did), they arrived in droves. He sighed heavily, rising and stomping to the door, flinging it open, assailing the intruders with his darkest glare. "What?!"

He blinked once; he had expected a lost village couple and a child. But he was mistaken - a handsome rider in expensive rainment appeared before him, along with a smaller young lovely, dressed in what appeared as ranger gear -- and a small weed of a girl with large eyes. Three horses stood a few paces behind, blinking in the rain, staring at him with indifference.

The rider, as tall as he, tried not to glare - but Xenith knew disdain when he saw it. "Good eve, sir. We do not mean to intrude, but it rains rather heavily, and we are in need of shelter, even if only for a few hours."

Xenith stood resolute in front of the entrance of the shack, crossing his arms. "And?"

The rider raised a eyebrow, his smooth face frowning slightly; Xenith wondered if this one had ever taken up a razor before.

The lady ranger spoke up, softly: "We are willing to pay you, good sir."

He gazed down at her, trying to be polite yet at the same time trying to imagine how she would look in a fine dress. He grinned. "Well then, get out of the rain. You'll catch your death."
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 09:14
((I like it))

Atma trailed along behind the other two sulkily. They had acted almost as if she was nonexistent the whole time, and when she had opened her mouth to say something, they simply mounted up and rode off as if they expected her to follow like--like a servant!

"Besides," she muttered to herself, "they probably just want to turn me in anyway." She told herself that if they seemed at all like they were going to take her back anywhere, she would run off, fire and hut, or no. Soon, the small shack came into view through the mist, the battered door firmly shut. Halhigil and Nellas dismounted smoothly; Atma stayed firmly planted on top of her mare, ready to bolt if whoever was in that house was not a friend. In Atma's definition, that was just about anyone.

"Come on, young lady. If you want to get warm and dry, you had best get down." Halhigil said, turning around and seeing her still mounted.

"I'm not a lady and I'm not young! I'm Atma!" Atma looked down as she realized she had given them her name, which she had no intention of doing.

"Atma, then," Nellas added in. "Come on, we aren't going to hurt you."

Atma pressed her lips together tightly and then tried clamber off, attempting to make it look like she had done it plenty of times before, then followed them up to the door.

"Hallo!" Halhigil called as a light rain began, finally, to fall. Atma could feel her dress begin to cling to her and shivered. "Hello?" Halhigil called again and began pounding on the door.

"Perhaps there's no one here," Nellas said softly, but with a tinge of disappointment. Atma looked at her stubbornly, not about to give up her fire now that it seemed so close.

"Who cares? It's wet! I hate being wet!" She rejoinded.

"I don't think a bath would hurt you, little one" Nellas replied wryly, gesturing vaguely towards the rain.

Atma opened her mouth to retort when the door banged open and a man glared out angrily. "What!?" He growled. Atma shrank back, despite herself.

Halhigil and Nellas took over from there as Atma watched--ignored yet again, she thought sourly. She took the opportunity to look at their reluctant host carefully as he finally agreed (though not, Atma noticed, without looking Nellas up and down more than once), and stood aside so they could enter. Atma looked around her as she went in, but could not see much. It was very plain inside--in fact, Atma couldn't see much of anything that made a house at all.

She watched silently as the shack's owner stalked around, only slightly mollified, it seemed, by the offer of money. Atma decided she wasn't afraid of him, though, in fact, she felt a small amount of respect for him. Unlike the other two she was with, he didn't bother to hid his annoyance at the intrusion, or his feelings on anything else, it seemed. A few minutes later, he walked over to her, suddenly, a bowl in his hand.

"You want some food, girl?" At least he remembered she existed, Atma thought as she quickly took the bowl with a muttered "Thank you."

((yay! it worked!))
Yavannildi and proud!
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 09:23
Getting out of the rain was a relief, Nellas thought as she stepped through the doorway. She felt a little flattered, embarrassed and annoying by the man's blunt stare; her face felt warm, so she had no doubt that it had changed to a violent shade of red, as it always did in similar circumstances.

The man's house was very bare and dusty, but at least it was warm. He didn't take much notice of his guests much once they had entered the house, so Nellas quietly sat against a wall, with Halhigil beside her.

She felt rather strange in a room with people she barely knew, but at least she had known Halhigil and Atma for some time; and Halhigil she knew she could trust. She whispered to him quietly as the man busied himself over a pot of soup in the opposite corner. "I actually don't have that much money with me; a handful of silver coins. I don't know if he'll demand more or not." She stole a glance at their unwilling host quickly. "Maybe I should learn a little about him, first. He might be somewhat more amiable to a friend than a stranger."

Halhigil nodded. "We can try."

As they spoke, Nellas noticed out of the corner of her eye that their host had left his pot of stew and handed a bowl of something hot to Atma. As the girl muttered a thanks, and Nellas realized that it was practically the first civil thing she had heard out of Atma's mouth. Maybe the man was not so bad, after all.

Nellas spoke up. "I'm sorry we have not introduced ourselves. I am Nellas, and this is Halhigil, and that's Atma over there. We were all traveling today when the storm broke..." She paused, because she didn't know what else to say about their travels. She herself had been tracking Atma, and she did not wish to say anything of Atma's horse-thievery. Also, she didn't yet know anything of Halhigil or his travels.

Their host also brought a bowl of stew to Nellas and one to Halhigil, who eyed it suspiciously. "Thank you," Nellas said, smiling. "What is your name, friend?" She asked, hoping to gain his trust, or at least a bit of speech on his part.
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 02:54
The grey mare stood in the rain for the second time of the night. Not that it mattered; her somewhat thicker hide could take some soaking. And a rinse. Since the small human had untied her from her previous owner's post, she had not been washed. Her previous owner didn't care enough to even wash her once. Brilliant salesman.

She looked up at the darkened sky and let the raindrops trickle down into her mane and under her neck, cooling and softly pelting away the mud clods that had been gathering for too long. But though the rain was cool and refreshing, if she and the other horses stayed out in it too long, it could mean sickness. For now, it wasn't enough to worry over. If it should continue, perhaps in a hour they could move beside the...fallen domino pile of wood they called a 'shelter'. For them, it would hold off the rain until they could move again.

The tall horse decided she had enough of standing still and pressed her long face to the hut, ears forward, listening to the conversations that happened. At the moment, there were none. Then the elleth who had stepped between the mounted elf and herself with the small human spoke to the man they found inside. It seemed that the small human and the man had something in common; they were not nearly as graceful (or as cleanly) as the elves who had crossed her path. But then, this could be interesting. Who knew what, or who they might meet should they carry on?
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 06:42
((Ooc: This is just the kind of thread that I’ve been looking for. Hope no one minds if I join with a Dwarf character.))

Kand stumbled on a gnarled tree root, but managed to catch his balance in time to stop himself from falling. The weary Dwarf paused for a minute, and then tramped on through the trees. “I should never have stayed to have that last mug of ale.” he muttered to himself for at least the third time, “That wasted a good half-hour of my traveling time.” It had been at least two hours since he had left the warm and comfortable wayside inn and begun his journey into the mountains. The innkeeper had urged him to stay for the night, saying that the rain would not let up before morning, but Kand had thought he knew better. Now the Dwarf complained to himself as he trudged on, trying to reach the rocky mountain slopes before the dim light of dusk ended completely. In those rocks there might be found caves that a tired traveler could use to escape the cold rain.

Kand had his head down to keep the water from dripping into his eyes, or else he might never have seen the tracks that now appeared before him. They were hoof-prints, pressed firmly into the damp earth. For some reason the Dwarf paused and looked more closely at them. It looked like about three horses had gone through the forest down an overgrown path. As Kand looked at them, he caught the smell of nearby wood smoke. The Dwarf stood for a minute, undecided. The smell of fire meant that the riders had probably found shelter close by, and that tempted him. But on the other hand, horses were the creatures of Men and Elves, never fellow Dwarves. What was worse, tramping through the cold and wet night, or possibly having to share a campfire with an Elf?

Kand made up his mind. Since there were no other Dwarves around to see him, a sure way out of the rain was worth any pride that he might have to sacrifice. Turning from his previous path, he followed the tracks of the horses. Although the ground was wet, the forest undergrowth kept it from being too slippery, making the going fairly easy, even for someone on foot. Kand was walking down his new path for no more than fifteen minutes when he noticed a glimmer of light among the trees. As he approached it, rough wooden walls appeared out of the deepening gloom, and Kand saw that it was a sturdy hut, with light shining out through a crack in the doorway. Standing patiently in front of the hut were the three horses that he had followed. Somehow Kand thought that he dimly remembered seeing one of them before, maybe at the last inn. There had been a loudmouthed horse-seller there, who had bragged about his wares to anyone who would listen. Then he glanced at the other two horses and snorted. Like most Dwarves, Kand was a craftsman, and he could pick out the distinctly elvish designs on the bridles. But it would take too long to turn back now. Stepping up to the door of the hut, Kand banged roughly on it with his gloved fist.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 02:17
((And here I am at last... Lol. Yay, a dwarf! Rare commodity, heh heh... Nice to have you, Telemnar!))
-----------------------------------------------

Halhigil suppressed a smile as Nellas flushed scarlet under their host's less-than-subtle gaze. "My thanks," he said aloud, retreating quietly to a corner as was his wont. Nellas stood nearby.

"I actually don't have that much money with me; a handful of silver coins. I don't know if he'll demand more or not." She stole a glance at their unwilling host quickly. "Maybe I should learn a little about him, first. He might be somewhat more amiable to a friend than a stranger."

Halhigil nodded. "We can try," he replied. "But I would not worry. They actually remembered to pay me before I went on leave, which certainly makes a change." It was not uncommon for Mirkwood's soldiers to go years without pay; there was little use for money in the Elven realms, where payment tended to be in kind and the Elves served as a matter of loyalty rather than to earn wages. Matters were different in the wider world.

The ellon was aware that he was still in his 'alert' frame of mind which could easily be mistaken for hostility - but he had always had slight tendencies towards paranoia, and preferred to keep his wits about him rather than simply to relax. His eyes drifted over the other occupants of the small room. Atma, interestingly enough, seemed to be simultaneously wanting attention and wanting to blend into the background. Halhigil did not stare at her but rather at the wall, thinking. She was young, whatever she said, and was clearly not accustomed to riding a horse. He decided not to enquire as to why she was clad only in a thin summer dress in this weather; she was evidently unwilling to answer any questions.

Halhigil would also have been interested to know what Nellas and their host were doing here, but at the same time was fairly sure that it was better if he did not know, despite the fact that Nellas was trustworthy. If he did not know, then there was nothing that he could later be hauled over the coals for turning a blind eye to.

His thoughts were (not untimely) broken off as the man approached, unexpectedly offering him a bowl of stew. Halhigil thanked him and accepted it. Even Elvish waybread was dull after a while. The bowl was warm against his palms - Halhigil glanced at Nellas as she spoke to their host, feeling awkward. Elbereth, he really was not very good at this.

Sirdhail snorted and shook his head, grazing on the sparse, wet grass near the cabin. A grey mare stood beside him, close to the door as though listening; she looked as though she had not been groomed for many a month. The chestnut gelding swished his tail, unconcerned and fairly uninterested. The rain did not trouble him, and he trusted his master not to lead him astray. Or at least, not too far astray.

Footsteps sounded on the wet ground behind him. Sirdhail threw his head up sharply, coppery forelock flopping forwards into his eyes. The gelding shook his head again, watching the new arrival curiously. He was small, far smaller than any Elf or Man that Sirdhail had ever seen. He was hooded and cloaked, but the horse could hear the chink of mail as he moved. Sirdhail snorted and dropped his head to the grass again, but kept an eye on the stocky stranger.

If he had picked up anything from Halhigil, it was that caution paid off, and underestimating did not.
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 07:19
((Woohoo! I love seeing dwarves around Welcome!))

The room felt as stiff as old dried leather Atma thought as she tipped the last of the stew into her mouth and set the bowl down beside her. Nellas had just tried saying something to their host, but Atma thought he looked in no mood to reply kindly. Halhigil had looked over at her once or twice, but seemed lost in his own thoughts; Atma had looked at him once or twice too, trying to discern where that money he had mentioned must be hidden. Mostly though, she had watched the owner of this place as he stalked around. She thought he was not quite as gruff as he appeared, but she also wasn't sure if she wanted to risk another glare like the one he had given her along with the stew, as if she was somehow stealing it. It was that which had pried a thank you out of her mouth almost before she realized it--for some reason, Atma felt that she wanted him to like her. He seemed strong, and independent--all the things she wanted to be--even if he was almost the worst-mannered person Atma had ever met, barring the innkeeper who had tossed her bodily back into the road when she asked for bread to eat. She had stolen it from him later, anyway.

Even with the palpible tension, though, Atma decided she would rather be here than outside. Her hair was beginning to dry and felt comfortably warm when she touched it with her hands, picking out a stray bit of leaf. Their host opened his mouth to reply to Nellas when a loud knock came on the door, making Atma start, afraid it was the horse salesman who had found her at last.

His face growing yet darker, their host stalked over to the door and pulled it open roughly. "What do you think this is? An inn? Go away!" He began to slam the door on whoever was outside, and Atma breathed a small sigh of relief when the door suddenly stopped with a shudder as a foot wedged it open.

"Now, friend," a voice rumbled, "that's no way to treat a wet traveler."
Yavannildi and proud!
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 07:50
Nellas watched as their host grudgingly opened the door a little, looking more annoyed every moment. Outside stood a short dwarf, dripping wet. Halhigil and Nellas came to the door and looked at the dwarf in mild interest, while Atma shrank to the corner of the room, most likely afraid that someone was looking for her.

Nellas almost laughed at the comical picture the drenched dwarf made. Their host, however, was not so amused. The dwarf, seeing her over Xenith's shoulder, bowed low and asked in the utmost politeness, "Might I come into your shelter, lady, for it is badly wet out here."

"I'm sorry, friend," Nellas replied. "But, you see, this is not my house..." Their host threw up his hands in frustration and shouted, "Fine! Fine! Come in!" He stomped away from the door, muttering under his breath. The dwarf, however, paid no attention to Xenith's frustration. He entered the shack, and bowed, saying, "Kand at your service!"

Nellas greeted him cheerfully. She was more comfortable and at ease now. Since the rain was still pouring outside, Nellas sat back down against the wall. "Well, I am curious about why everyone is here. When this rain lets up, I'm not sure what I plan to do." She glanced briefly at Atma, then continued. "I had been wandering, going no particular place, when I met Atma here. She had er....well, she has some bad connections now, and won't be able to return to her town. In any case, I plan to stay with her for a while, wherever she plans to go. Where are you traveling, Halhigil? And you, Kand? There is safetly in numbers: perhaps we may travel together for some time, once the rain lets up." At this, Nellas saw Atma roll her eyes.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 01:46
Xenith would have glared more if it were possible. He relished and selfishly protected his personal space, so a troupe of elves, a girl, a dwarf, and horses did not bode very well with him. He was irritated. He knew their eyes followed him as he served them stew, as he walked back and forth. He hated it. He wanted to take his sword, say some choice words, and go.

But it was only fair, he realized - strangers size each other up in the best way they can. It was for protection; he understood that. He also watched them, indirectly; he realized Halhilgil the handsome rider was an elf, the hilt of his sword and his "hidden" dagger decorated with beautiful designs that he figured were elvish. What he was doing out in the forest, the vagabond couldn't guess. Nellas, despite her leatherwear, was beautiful, her hair shimmering in the low firelight; he was willing to wager she was elvish as well.

Atma was a beggar girl, or something of that sort, desperate to get away from them all; it was a shame to see her covered in dirt, he had to admit. He knew where she came from, for he came from the same place. He made sure to give her the biggest bowl of stew.

And Kand-- doubtless a dwarf.

After Nellas spoke forth, Xenith laughed cynically. Do you have no inkling of where you go, good lady? Do any of you? This is laughable! You'll be picked clean if you seek to find the nearest town or village- saftey in numbers or not! No one favors wanderers."

"Aye now, good sir," Kand the Dwarf chuckled. "No need to yell. You never know until you take a chance."

He looked down upon the dwarf with a raised eyebrow, grey eyes flashing, his stubble itching him to further irritation. "Do I look as such a person who has never taken chances, good dwarf?"

Atma chose then to pipe up. "He's right! No one favors wanderers!"

Halhilgil raised a hand. "Peace. You do speak the truth, as the times of this age do grow dark with shadow. But we cannot remain in one place, hiding from the world's events."

The vagabond took offense to Halhilgil's remark, but chose not to show it. He had grown tired suddenly. "Say what you will. I assume you wish to spend the night here, perchance?"

He turned away, dipping another bowl of stew. "Hungry, sir dwarf? If I am to be hospitable to them, then I suppose I will to you." After a pause, he added, "I am called Xenith, to answer your wayward question."

[Edited on 24/6/2005 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 05:19
Atma watched as their host stalked around the room with as much indignation as he could put in his step--if he had been a cat, Atma felt sure that his fur would have been sticking straight up. The only time she saw anything else in his eyes was when he glanced over at Nellas, when he always seemed on the verge of rudeness with the openness with which he appraised her. Nellas...Atma shifted her glance over to her when she heard her name mentioned and then bristled almost as much as their host. How dare that--that ELF--say that she would "stay with her" for awhile--without even consulting her first! She barely managed to keep silent--for now only, she told herself--and instead settled for rolling her eyes.

"As if I can't take care of myself," she grumbled under her breath.

Their host replied to Nellas, tone laden with scorn. What he said made sense to Atma, and she surprised even herself when she spoke up loudly, saying "He's right! No one favors wanderers!" Kand stared at her, as if suprised she could speak at all and Atma felt herself blushing, just a little. Halhigil said something and suddenly their host seemed as calm as Atma had yet seen him. He even gave Kand some stew.

"I am called Xenith, to answer your wayward question," he said almost quietly.

"Xenith..." Atma thought it an interesting name, decided that of all of them, she liked him the most. He was the only one besides Kand, who was barely dry, who had yet to try coddling her. At least HE didn't force himself into her company she thought, with another glare at Nellas.

Halhigil cleared his throat, "Well, thank you, Xenith for you....hospitality. I assure you we are all much indebted to you. Even young Atma, if she'll unbend enough to realize it." Atma stuck her toungue out at him and hastily shrunk back again when she realized Xenith had seen her. Halhigil seemed not to notice; unbend indeed! He seemed to think she was some little girl with no manners! "However," he continued, "Nellas brought up a good question. Where are you all traveling? You too, Xenith, if you choose to leave this place. You are right, there is safety in numbers, perhaps it may be that we all travel the same way for a short while. Kand? Nellas?" He forgot to mention her, Atma noticed.

"I go with him and nobody else!" Atma said, pointing a finger at Xenith.

"Atma!" Nellas cried. "He has been generous enough to let us sleep dry for the night. Don't presume too far! Xenith, I apologize for her, do not feel obligated to take her in any way. You've done plenty for us--and her--already."
Yavannildi and proud!
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 09:13
[OOC: Sorry major revision of post after I sorted things out!]

Bronwe sighed exasperatedly, tugged her cloak up over her head, and turned to glare at the snorting, complaining string of horses she led. She had just left the horse sale, with ten new mounts for some of the young elves of Mirkwood who had just reached the age where they would finally recieve their first horses.

"I know it's raining. Just put up with things a while longer, will you?!" Bronwe spotted a light in the distance - a house - and outside, what looked like three wet equines. "See here, *those* horses are far more well behaved."

It was getting a little too wet for her liking, so the elf decided to try her luck at the house in the distance. She didn't really feel like truning back - all those edain made her feel uncomfortable, with the way they stared and pointed...

[Edited on 2/5/2005 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 07:34
"Hungry, sir dwarf? If I am to be hospitable to them, then I suppose I will to you." After a pause, he added, "I am called Xenith, to answer your wayward question."

“Xenith?” It certainly an unusual name, but Kand decided not to comment on it. “I am pleased to make your acquaintance.” he continued, following the strict demands of Dwarven courtesy. “If you allow me to spend the night here, then I shall pay you for the trouble.” Kand thought that the man’s scowl lifted just a bit when he mentioned money, but the he couldn’t be sure. As Xenith moved to the fire to get a bowl of stew for the dwarf, Kand surveyed the room, looking more closely at the others. The tall ones were Elves, that much seemed apparent to Kand. But so long as they were courteous to him, he decided to respond in like manner. Giving them no further attention for the moment, he turned to a figure that sat back from everyone else as far as possible, and was surprised to remember seeing her before. She was the same scrawny young girl that Kand had seen at the last inn, where she had been going around begging money from everyone. Her presence out here surprised the dwarf a little, but he said nothing about it, after the manner of his people.

A steaming bowl was set in front of Kand, and he nodded a thanks to Xenith, who was still scowling. The stew was a bit watery, but certainly good enough for any tired traveler. Although he ate quickly, Kand tried to be less sloppy than Dwarves normally are, thinking that it might make a better impression on his surly host. He listened closely to the conversation, though he was too hungry to stop eating and inject his own opinion. The idea of traveling together sounded like a good one, quite a bit safer than journeying alone at least. The Dwarf had just been prospecting, unsuccessfully, in the Misty Mountains and saw no reason why he shouldn’t join a group for part of the long journey home.

"I go with him and nobody else!" Atma said, pointing a finger at Xenith.

"Atma!" Nellas cried. "He has been generous enough to let us sleep dry for the night. Don't presume too far! Xenith, I apologize for her, do not feel obligated to take her in any way. You've done plenty for us--and her--already."

Kand started at the sudden shouts that had interrupted his train of thought, and his eating. “Here here.” he started, deciding it was time that he voiced his own intentions. “Whether Xenith’s going to be traveling anywhere at all is his own business, I’m sure.” Kand declared bluntly. “Now as for me, I’ll be going with whoever is willing to take me; I’m in no big hurry to get back to my homeland and any traveler like myself welcomes company in a foreign region.”
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 11:54
"Where are you traveling, Halhigil? And you, Kand? There is safetly in numbers: perhaps we may travel together for some time, once the rain lets up."

Halhigil scowled slightly; this was something of a moot point, in his opinion. "Where am I going, and what am I doing here? That depends on whom you ask. Officially, I am currently on convalescent leave." One eyebrow twitched upwards. "This, clearly, is almost total nonsense. In reality, I am here because my commanding officer wanted me out of his hair, and pulled a few strings."

Nellas looked somewhat surprised at this revelation, and Halhigil smiled wryly. "We do not get on well, and any system - including that of Mirkwood's army - is susceptible to people exploiting it. It will stand up in the records for... various reasons." He scowled again. "Reluctant as I am to give Antval his due, it was nicely done."

Halhigil looked up and a stray lock of hair flopped forwards into his eyes; he blew it away in irritation. "So, now I am squandering my unnecessary leave as best I can, while he takes advantage of the fact to romance my sister."

"We are miles from Mirkwood, though," Nellas observed. "Why so far?"

The ellon grinned slightly. "Well, the Valar know that the healers do not want me around for any longer than strictly necessary, and I would have had to have stayed indoors. It was a choice between making myself scarce, or doing paperwork; I made myself scarce. Besides which, I would ideally be somewhere - anywhere, in fact - that my commanding officer is not, and where my sister is. Since the two are not possible together, I have to settle for the former. As far away as possible. I would be more than willing to travel with others for a while."

'And if I am late back, then so much the better,' he thought to himself. In general, Halhigil was one of those people who very rarely lost his temper - and when he did, the results tended to be rather spectacular. Antval, however, was capable of incensing him to the point of incandescent rage within a very few minutes. Their colleagues had soon learnt not to leave the two alone togther unless they wanted a serious argument on their hands. Such exchanges had always ended badly for Halhigil, for the simple reason that Antval could (and did) pull rank, and order him to leave. Privately, Halhigil was still silently fuming about his less-than-fair conduct in this particular matter, but chose not to display this. It would not do any good, however much he might like to wrap his hands around a certain ellon's neck.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 04:12
Nellas was surprised at hearing this from Halhigil. She could hear the dislike in his voice when he merely said Antval's name.

"I'm sorry," she said sincerely. "And, your sister...surely she wouldn't fall for a man who is her own brother's enemy? I know I wouldn't."

It was getting late. Kand had drifted off, lying straight as a board and snoring loudly. Xenith stood in a dark corner; Nellas couldn't see his face in the shadow. Surprisingly, she found she didn't feel a bit nervous about falling asleep while a vagabond-like stranger stood in the room. She didn't have a bad feeling about him at all; even if he looked somewhat threatening. Actually, she couldn't help thinking that he was quite handsome despite his scruffy appearance.

Atma had fallen asleep sitting against the wall. Or was she asleep? Nellas wondered. She almost wanted to move Atma into a more comfortable position, but knew that would probably bring trouble if the orphan was to wake up. So Nellas knelt on the ground in a corner and took off her cloak, rolling it up into a wad to use for a pillow. She curled up in the corner and was soon drifting off into sleep, lulled by the sound of the pouring rain. As she began to dream, she thought she heard a knock at the door....

Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 04:47
More things were said, but Xenith failed to pay attention. All of these people in his shack were beginning to inhibit his breathing and make him anxious [read: claustrophobic]. He fell silent, retreating to a dark corner as the varying members of the group began to talk - the elven rider complained of his superior, the dwarf Kand seemed jovial despite the weather, and the little street rat pledged loyalty. Few things suprised Xenith these days - except for that. Atma barely knew him - what wisdom was she deprived of to side with a wayward vagabond? He laughed inwardly; he was flattered and irritated at the same time.

Xenith occupied himself by sitting down, in his dark corner, and examining the craftwork on the hilt of his sword. Of all of the few things he loved, he loved his double-part sword the most. He couldn't remember where he recieved it exactly, but he knew that it belonged to him exclusively. It was the one true thing he never had to prove ownership of.

He ran slender fingers over the hilt, and gently over the blade; he sighed softly. He had his suspicions of the sword's origins. But what he was most certain of was that he hailed from the same place.

Finally, the shack quieted, and everyone decided to sleep. He left for a moment, to patrol the surroundings of his shack and gather more rainwater, and returned to a much quieter shack, but no solution as to the travelers' destination. Whatever - as long as they left soon. He fetched some threadbare blankets and draped them along Atma and Nellas's forms - he wasn't without some decorum. He started slightly, thinking that the lady elf had sensed his movement, but thought naught of it.

He returned to his chair, scooting it closer to the fading fire, and and returned to contemplating his sword once more. He also nursed an idea that occurred to him as the elves and the young girl - then later the dwarf - interrupted his life. They wanted to travel, to continue forward and not remain in one place for too long. He would admit that he had wished to do the same for a time; word spread of his quick hand, of his crafty abilities to take that which wasn't exactly his. He knew that a band was being assembled to hunt him and bring him to answer for all that he had taken.

He snorted slightly. It was only food! Hunger knows no strangers.

He considered using this naive band as his cover to escort him from this small town. In exchange, he would lead them, if they deemed him worthy enough.

He paused, turning his head slightly. He felt eyes on him. Or perhaps it was just his own conscience trying to contact him after so long.

He shrugged slightly, pulling his woolen cloak about him and resting his chin against his chest. He would bring up the discussion again in the morning time.

Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 09:11
Scrunched up in the corner as she was, Atma soon lost interest in whatever the adults were talking about and leaned her head against the wall. Halhigil and Kand and Nellas and Xenith all gradually lapsed into silence as each decided that it was time for sleep. Atma herself drifted in and out, despite how tired she was; it had been a long day for her. Once, she woke up and found that someone had draped a blanket over her and she pulled it tighter.

When Atma reawoke, she saw Xenith in the corner opposite her own, the firelight glinting off a naked swordblade that he twisted around in his hands lightly. She watched him for awhile, until he set the blade aside and snugged his cloak about him. What was he thinking about, she wondered. He never had replied to her earlier; she did hope that he was not angry with her... Finally, Atma slowly uncurled, and padded over to where he sat. "Xenith," she almost whispered, trying not to wake the others. He raised his head up and looked at her sharply, until Atma wished she had tried harder to go to sleep, or at least stayed in her corner. "What do you want, child?" Atma ignored that last word. She DID have manners, whatever Nellas and the others seemed to think. "Xenith, I...are you mad at me for earlier? Nellas didn't like that I said that, I know, but I didn't see anything wrong with it. Was there?"
Yavannildi and proud!
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 01:12
Outside, the wind suddenly picked up, turning into a near gale. The horses would be alright, of course - they were fine Rohirrim stock, well used to the weather and the elements. But *she* needed to get out of the rain.

"Stay here." she whispered to her grey mare. "Mind the others, will you?"

With that, she summoned up her courage and gave a soft knock on the door.
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 11:28
Xenith lifted his long legs off of the oppsite chair where he rested them in front of the fire, grimacing slightly as his tired muscles protested the movement. He looked upon Atma closely, and laughed quietly at her absurd questions.

"No, little street fox. I harbor no anger against you - none of you, really. I just want you out of my shack. But I'm not inhumane...everyone needs shelter sometime. Get back to sleep."

"But you didn't answer my other question. Was it wrong of me to side with you?"

Annoyed again, Xenith glared. "I can't answer that one for you. You have to make your own decisions about loyalty."

Atma's large eyes shined in the firelight. "What do you mean?"

Xenith sighed. "...No one can make you pledge loyalty to someone. Just get back to sleep."

"But I'm not tired now. Where did you get your sword?"

Xenith looked at his precious sword, still cradled in his lap. He ran a hand over it, and glared at Atma again, almost possessively. "It was given to me, by my father."

"Can I see-"

"No, you can't. I would appreciate if you didn't touch it."

Atma blinked. "Alright. I'm sorry."

Xenith waved a hand. "Never mind...it's just that...it's rather import--"

He gladly stopped short of his explanation as he heard a knocking. He rose quietly, stepping over elves and a dwarf to reach and open the door only a crack. "What?" he said, barely seeing a cloack figure in the dark rain.

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 11:07
Bronwe started slightly as a dark, rather ragged man opened the door, but she could also see a young girl and what looked like quite a few more beings in the room, so she decided to risk it.

"Is there room for a weary traveller? I was caught in the storm, and it will take too long to get back to the village."
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 01:18
(ooc: sorry for kinda controlling some characters. If there's anything wrong with this, I'll delete the post and we can backtrack )

At the young woman's request, Xenith seemed far less agitated than he had been with previous intrusions. Nellas did not listen to what they said; she was only subconsciously awair of what was going on. She drifted back off to dreaming, her curiousity of the newcomer overpowered by her desire for rest.

Nellas came out of her elvish dreams when light through cracks in the walls shone warmly on her face. she opened her eyes and sat up. Halhigil, Kan, the young woman who had come late last night were still sleeping. Xenith was nowhere to be seen.

Nellas glanced to the corner where Atma had fallen asleep. To her horror, the girl was not there. "Halhigil!" She cried. The elf sat up with a bolt, suddenly alert. "What?" He asked, looking around the room for signs of trouble.

"Its Atma; she's gone!"

"Calm down, maybe she's just outside," Halhigil said.

Nellas had aroused everyone with her cry; Kan and the mysterious girl were awake, probably wondering what was going on. Nellas dashed outdoors. She feared the worst. Maybe Atma had gone off alone; she might be caught by the townsmen, who might not be too kind with her. Or worse, a wild animal or an enemy might snatch the young rebel. To her relief, Atma's infamous stolen house stood patiently under a tree, with the other horses. Then Nellas heard voices comnig from behind the house.

She ran back and peering around the corner. Behind the house, seated on a stump, was Xenith, and Atma stood beside him, listening with rapt attention to a story he was telling. Probably about some smuggling venture or an escape from the law, thought Nellas. But then she realized that she was judging Xenith too harshly; she didn't know anything about him, after all. She was also glad that Atma was communication with someone.

She walked back to the front of the house, thinking it best to leave the two of them alone for a while. If everyone agreed, they would all leave soon. It was almost full daylight, and Nellas was restless for travel already. She noticed many more unfamiliar horses stood with the original three; Nellas guessed they belonged to the newcomer.

[Edited on 16/5/2005 by NellasTaralom]
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 08:04
(Beleg, if you have any comments/suggestions/anything else as far as this little convo goes, just PM me)
Atma peered around the corner of the door at the newcomer, finding it odd that another traveler came so late into the night, but didn't say anything and watched with her eyes half-closed as Xenith made her comfortable. By the time Xenith walked over to her, she was already asleep.

The door closed with a soft scrape. Atma opened her eyes into grey dimness, slightly redder where the fire's coals lay glowing in the corner. Wishing she had a dress to change into and somewhat surprised at the thought, she slipped out the door into the predawn, the ground damp from the night's rain and the air carrying that peculiar after-storm smell Atma loved. A series of thunks came from behind the house and walking around, Atma found Xenith splitting firewood, a small pile to one side that grew larger as Atma watched.

"What are you doing out here," he asked gruffly when he noticed her. Atma started to shrink back, but he seemed to regret it and motioned her to come over. "You ever chopped wood before?" Atma shook her head mutely and moved over by him. "Well, here," he took her hands and placed them on the handle and showed her how to swing it. The first time she tried it on her own, the edge swung into the ground, a good six inches from the stump. And the next. She cast an irritated glance behind her and saw Xenith trying to hold back something that almost could have been a smile. The third swing, she managed to split the edge of the stump, although still inches wide of the piece of wood she was supposed to have been splitting. Brushing her hair out of her face, frustratedly, she stepped back, giving the axe back to Xenith. "It won't go where I tell it to! You do it."

Xenith chuckled softly and took it back. "You just need to learn how to tell it. And from what I've seen of you so far, you need more than a little help in how to tell things." He swung the axe up and down swiftly and the wood fell away in perfect halves. Atma crossed her arms and gave a small hmph. "Well, why are you chopping all that anyway, we're leaving today."

"Street fox, there is no 'we' about it yet."

"But you said last nig!--"

"I never said for certain that I would leave with you or anyone. Besides, did you think that wherever 'we' go there will be wood? However you got that horse, he'll be able to carry this. IF I leave with you, you will leave prepared."

"Will you take your sword with you?" The axe paused, then started again.

"I never leave my sword. You would do better to learn when to hold that tongue of yours, fox." Atma wondered what had been wrong with asking about the sword. he had said it was important, she had just been wondering; he didn't have to act to sulky about it. She folded her arms with a glower, but kept watching.

Eventually, he began telling her a story of when he had been her age, and she listened with rapt attention, not noticing the commotion in the house when she was noticed missing, nor Nellas checking up on her, nor the short glance that passed between Nellas and Xenith when she saw Atma being as well-behaved as she had been since being found.
Yavannildi and proud!
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 08:48
An indistinct cry woke Kand suddenly from his peaceful sleep. With surprising swiftness the Dwarf leapt to his feet and grabbed his axe, which lay handily beside his makeshift bed on the floor. “Intruders? Enemies?” Kand shouted in question as he saw Nellas rush out the front door and round a corner out of sight.

“Not really.” Halhigil spoke calmly in answer, “Atma is not in the house and Nellas is worried about her.”

“Atma?” Kand asked, “That’s the young girl, right?” Halhigil nodded in answer. Since the Elf remained fairly calm, Kand decided that he would not let this interruption disturb himself too much, either. If Nellas wanted help then she would come back and ask for it. Carefully removing his pipe from a leather bag that hung at his side, Kand moved over to the fireplace and stirred the warm ashes with his heavy boots. A few coals leapt to hot life again and the Dwarf held his pipe-bowl down close to them until the pipeweed began to smoke. He put the pipe between his lips, drew deeply, and puffed several fine smoke rings. It was only then that he noticed for the first time that a new stranger stood silently by the corner. She was evidently another Elf, but had a bit of a strange, pale appearance. She made no effort to speak to anyone else, acting almost shy. But Dwarven tradition and curtosy demanded that no stranger go unintroduced and so Kand walked over to her and bowed low. “Kand of the Iron Hills.” he introduced himself, “I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”

The new Elf smiled a bit. “My name is Bronwe.” she replied simply, “I am from Mirkwood.”

“Bronwe.” the Dwarf repeated to himself. Why did Elves always have such strange names? “You must have arrived during the night.” he went on, “Our good host doesn’t appear to be around right now.” Kand snorted a bit when he called Xenith a good host, “But I’m sure that he will be back shortly.”
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 01:57
Bronwe wavered between fear and amusement as the dwarf in the corner suddenly leapt up with a roar. Then he introduced himself as Kand.

"Host? You mean the other man, the dark one, don't you? I believe he is outside. And I think I saw a girl outside when I came in, if she is the one you are looking for."

"Bronwe means 'endurance'." she added almost as an afterthought, noticcing the dwarf's near perplexity. [OOC: Is there such a word? It sort of occured to me randomly... ><]

She settled down, and spread her cloak out to dry for a bit, and took stock of her surroundings. There was the dwarf, and the other elf who had just rushed out - presumably looking for the girl - and the dark man who had let her in, and the elf who the dwarf had been talking to. A motely crowd, she mused.

As day broke, Bronwe rose and went outside to check on the horses.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 02:50
"Well, we'd best be leaving," Nellas said, looking at the sky. "The weather is perfect. I hope you will ride with us, Kand." She gave a friendly smile to the dwarf." Outside, Nellas saddled her horse, who stood patiently while she geared him up for the day's trip.

She noticed Bronwe had brought many horses with her. Curiously, Nellas wondered if the new elf maiden was some type of horse trader. She adsentmindedly patted her horse's neck. Seeing Atma's stolen horse standing nearby under a tree, she shook her head. "You've sure been the center of alot of trouble lately," she told it.

Xenith and Atma rounded the corner of the house. Nellas looked over at him from behind her horse's back. "Will you come with us, Xenith? I suppose you might just want to stay here in peace, but we sure could use another member in our party. And you probably know this area well, which would help us." She glanced at Atma and saw that the girl liked the idea by a faint sign of interest that flashed in the girl's eyes momentarily.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 12:57
((Ack! I'm sorry I haven't been posting; I've been held up with exams. But now I am freeeeeee! yay! Er... yeah. It's twelve now, so I'll post tomorrow. ))
Beleg_Strongbow
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 03:09
(i'm sorry too! i've got a new job that calls for long hours....bleh. everyone is doing great. i don't think Bronwe means "endurance," but we'll work with it. hehe)

Xenith indulged Atma, and himself, in his telling of a tale of a little boy who stole thirty silver coins from three terrible, well-known theives. He did it merely on a dare from a peer, wishing to prove his soft hand and whispering presence, one so slight that the three burly robbers had no notice of him. Until the lad tripped on a wayward broom, causing a mighty clatter of pots, pans, and frightened chickens.

Atma laughed, her wide eyes crinkling. "Then what did you do?"

Grinning, Xenith continued. "They caught me. Bu' I was so bloody small then they couldn't keep a proper grip on me. I pulled out m'sword, swinging it as hard as I could (which wasn't very hard even so), and tripped them once more. Dragging m'sword behind me, I ran from here to highwater."

Leaning forward, Atma was enraptured. "And they never caught you?"

Xenith looked away for a minute. "...well...th' robbers, they didn't catch me. It was th' guards that managed to get a grip on me."

Xenith went on to explain that since he was so young, they deigned not to place him in prison; they merely confiscated the twenty-eight coins (two he concealed on his person for himself) and released him with a stern warning. He fled that city soon afterwards, knowing the three burly robbers would be searching for him.

"I doubt they'd even recognize me, now," he finished. "I was only your age then."

Atma's nose crinkled slightly, as if she was offended by that remark, and he added, "It's not that it be a bad age, street fox. It just....gets dangerous at times. I know where ye come from. And...it t'weren't the most pleasant place."

Xenith soon decided he was through chopping wood, and left with Atma to check the others - to see if they felt like leaving him alone yet. Upon Nellas' invitation to travel with them, he raise an eyebrow, stroking his stubble lightly.

"It's tempting to stay here, m'lady...but it also makes some reason to be traveling with ye. I do know my way here, true. Yet I also have several enemies here...several who don't wish to donate to th' needy, if ye gather my meaning. What I propose to ye, m'lady-" he grinned at her - "and to the rest of ye...is that I show ye the way through here, and y'offer me cover. What say ye?"

[Edited on 16/8/2005 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 05:26
[OOC: Beleg, I got Bronwe's name from the languages section in this site. I suppose it's accurate enough but if I have the time I'm supposed to go do additional research... ><]

Seeing Atma's stolen horse standing nearby under a tree, she shook her head. "You've sure been the center of alot of trouble lately," she told it.

Bronwe cast a critical eye over the stolen horse. It was a rather average animal - not exactly perfectly conformed, but servicable enough, and the head was rather fine.

"What trouble?" she asked Nellas curiously. "And pray tell, where mght you be headed?"

She gathered her small string of mounts before swinging lightly onto the back of her own horse - a dark grey mare.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 10:51
Nellas laughed. “Oh, the horse. It was stolen by Atma, the girl. We were both in town yesterday, when I saw her spirit the poor brute away right under the horse-dealer’s nose. She needed a horse to ride away on.

I decided to leave what I was doing and follow her. She wasn’t aware of my presence until nightfall yesterday, when we met Halhigil. We all decided to get out of the rain, so we came here to Xenith’s place. That’s when Kand and you showed up.

Well, I guess the horse isn’t really the cause of trouble; it’s just tied up in all this, I guess.” She undid her disheveled braid and ran her hands through her dark hair, trying to get the tangles out.

“As for where we are going…I’m not quite sure yet. We’re not going west-that leads back to the town Atma came from. I’m certain we should go eastward for some distance…but after that, I’m not sure.” She thought of Halhigil’s troubles in Mirkwood and secretly made a note to steer clear of Mirkwood.

When Atma and Xenith rounded the corner and Nellas invited him to come with them, Nellas watched his reaction closely.

"It's tempting to stay here, m'lady...but it also makes some reason to be traveling with you. I do know my way here, true. Yet I also have several enemies here...several who don't wish to donate to the needy, if you gather my meaning. What I propose to you, m'lady-" he grinned at her - "and to the rest of you...is that I show you the way through here, and you offer me cover. What say you?"

“That’s fine with me,” she smiled. “This party has quite a few enemies, you’ll find. You’ll fit right in.” She finished braiding her hair again and tied it with a strip of leather.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email