Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Thicker than Water ((Free)) Keep, please
on: June 29, 2005 12:04
((*viciously kicks the pile of mouldering trash which claims to be her computer* What is it with this wretched machine and not posting my posts??? Aaargh! My apologies for the delay! This is a dull post, I'm afraid, but I have little time.))
---------------

Halhigil smiled briefly at the Dwarf - what was his name? - ah yes, Kand - as he ducked under the low lintel of the door to go outside. There were several questions he would have liked to have asked the Dwarf, but he held his tongue, guessing that his curiosity would likely not be welcomed. Besides which, Halhigil tended to be shy about asking questions to strangers.

Outside, the ellon inhaled deeply, smiling involuntarily at the fresh, rainwashed air and the gentle warmth of the early sun. The sunbeams sang their own tune to an Elf, much like the song of a fëa - it was gentle and echoing this morning, like a twinkling of tiny silver bells in the crisp air. He could have listened to the fëar of the others around him, but Halhigil chose not to. With total strangers, it was rather an intrusion of privacy.

Sirdhail snorted, and brought his master back to reality by shaking his head vigorously and spraying Halhigil with droplets of water. He smiled at the chestnut gelding, who was shifting position restlessly. "I suppose I deserved that." Xenith and Atma came round the corner. Halhigil wondered briefly what they had been doing, but then switched his attention to what they were actually saying. He listened to the conversation with interest - this was certainly shaping up to be an interesting party.
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 06:14
Kand eyed the horses with a bit of suspicion as the Elves readied them for travel. He had already determined to journy with this company, but ride a horse? That was something that the stature of a Dwarf did not really allow, except if someone else could guide the animal. Kand disliked asking favours like this from anyone, and a Dwarf asking Elves for guidance was certainly not common; but he really had no choice. Nellas had already invited Kand to ride with them, so perhaps she would do it. But first he needed to borrow a spare mount, which only Browne had. Looking up the Elf, Kand spoke, “I have already been invited to ride with this company, but I have no mount. If you could lend me one from that string of horses you lead I will pay you whatever price that you see fit for it’s usage.”

((Ooc: I know it’s a pretty short post, but I’m in a hurry))
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 09:27
“I have already been invited to ride with this company, but I have no mount. If you could lend me one from that string of horses you lead I will pay you whatever price that you see fit for it’s usage.”

"Why not?"

Bronwe shrugged and, dismounting, chose a shorter bay animal from the small group she led.

"I believe this one'll do." she led him over to a convenient tree stump and held his head so the dwarf could get on. "He seems a quiet enough horse, and considering he could keep up with me yesterday he should be able to do so now."

[OOC: Rushrushrush... I hate school sometimes!]
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 02:14
Nellas mounted her steed as Kand used the stump to help him mount Bronwe's horse. Despite the extra height in gave him, he still had trouble getting his short leg over the horse's back. Nellas, stifling laughter, was about to go to his assistance, but decided against it. After all, dwarves were known for their staunch pride and stubbornness; he'd probably refuse to be helped. He managed to get on, however. Nellas felt like clapping.

Atma, Bronwe, and Halhigil were all mounted. Xenith ran into his shack to get some things of his, and quickly returned with a small, raggedy bundle and a sword in a leather sheath. Nellas glanced curiously at the sheath, wondering what kind of sword was hidden inside.

As he mounted, Nellas cleared her throat. "Well, I guess we're ready. These lands are not exactly crawling with danger, but there is dange here, none the less. We should all be on guard. And stay together." She felt somewhat like the captain of a small army, giving blunt orders like that. As an afterthought, she added, "No one in particular in in charge here, so feel free to suggest routes or paths for us to take."

They headed east; away from Atma's pursuers. The wooded area that Xenith lived in proved to be fairly small and not too dense; their path swerved and curled easily through it, until they reached wild, open lands stretching as far as the eye could see.
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 08:11
((Oh, yay, we're back in action!! I've been at music camp the past two weeks, that's why I didn't notice before)

Atma relaxed as Xenith began his story, relieved that he wouldn't send her away. She also made a mental note to try find out more about this sword, however that thoguht was soon in the far back of her mind as Xenith's voice rose and fell. Quickly, Atma realized it was himself he was telling of, by the slight dryness in his tone and she listened more, laughing at the self-deprecating humor Xenith filled the story with.

"I doubt they'd even recognize me, now," he finished. "I was only your age then."

Atma pursed her lips slightly and wrinkled her nose. Her age indeed. She could take care of herself quite well; she was NOT a silly boy to take dares; she knew when to pick a fight, obviously unlike boys. She was however, slightly mollified by Xenith's next remark and accompanied him out to the others in time to see Kand struggling onto his horse. Atma giggled and quickly turned away to find her own horse, unsuccessfully trying to stop her shoulders from shaking with laughter. She hurriedly smoothed her face though as Kand settled himself and gave a general glare around the group as if daring anyone to laugh to his face.

Xenith reemerged from the hut and Atma immediately saw the sheath and sword from the night before in the middle of the bundle. Nellas led the way as the group set off, and Atma followed, letting her horse simply follow the others and set her mind to the question of that sword--and how he knew where she came from.

((Ok, sorry about the somewhat bad writing, I really need to get some sleep, lol. Night all!))

Yavannildi and proud!
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 07:47
((OoC: Sorry it took so long to post again.))

Kand swayed slightly in the saddle, and managed to catch himself before losing his balance. Luckily the horse that Browne chosen for him was a gentle animal, even if the Dwarf did not realize it. “Oh well.” Kand muttered to himself, “I suppose they are nice animals to look at; from a distance.” By now the woods had given way to an open, rugged plain. Rolling in low gentle hills, the land was vacant grass, except for scattered outcroppings of rock and pine trees. In spite of it’s wild look, the country had a few thin dirt paths that faded off toward the horizon. Kand appreciated this open land better than the forests, even if he liked the mountains more. But there were few good places to camp he noted. Unless the company found some different terrain by nightfall they would have to stop in the open, or else try to take shelter inside one of the sparse clumps of pine trees. “Oh well,” the Dwarf said, muttering to himself again, “We won’t have to worry about that for hours yet.”

Kand steadied himself again, just in time to keep from slipping off the horse. How can Men and Elves ever fight from these things? he wondered. But since everyone else in the company looked right at home on their mounts, he assumed that it came naturally to them. “So,” the dwarf spoke up somewhat randomly, addressing no one in particular, “Just how do they use these things in battle? Horses, I mean.”
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 04:15
“So,” the dwarf spoke up somewhat randomly, addressing no one in particular, “Just how do they use these things in battle? Horses, I mean.”

Bronwe turned slightly in the saddle to see the dwarf obviously strugging to stay on his mount, and bit back a smile, remebering previous dealings with the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain. What was it with dwarves and their little prejudice against horses?

"They're really quite useful, you know, once you get the hang of it. They give you a bit of a height advantage, not to mention the fact they can gallop faster than most can run, and most warriors have horses trained not only to bear their rider, but to fight. Quite useful if you get cornered alone. But I wouldn't be thinking about that until I learn exactly where one should sit on a horse. You're sitting on his rump - of course you'll have trouble staying on if you sit on his hindquarters." Bronwe quipped, keeping a straight face. "We'll have to find you a saddle of some sort; it might make the ride more comfortable."
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 01:08
“Just how do they use these things in battle? Horses, I mean.”

"With great difficulty," Halhigil replied with a rueful grin. He was only half joking. "I can do it, but I never liked it -- I'd sooner keep my feet on the ground to fight any day." He shrugged. "Gives you an advantage, certainly, but personally I never quite got over the conviction that I was going to slice the animal by mistake." Sidhail snorted and shook his head.

"And that goes double on something like you," he added to the gelding. Sirdhail was young; he was only five and was still being trained. Halhigil would have been taking his life in his hands to ride the skittish animal into battle.
Arthag_Felgard
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 02:51
(may one join?)

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 05:07
((Sure! We could do with getting things moving again.))
Arthag_Felgard
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 08:51
((oh, goddie, I'm playing my dwarf Furin Ironfist then.))

As he heard horses and talk closing up on his camp Furing quickly put out the fire and grabbed his things.
He found a small cave witch he used to hide in.
As he was sitting in the cave he couldent help but shivering when thinking of his mothers death, he grabbed his axe and his shield and preapered to do battle with whoever it was that was closing up on him.

((sorry if I missspelled some words, I'm from sweden and not that extreamly good at spelling english words.))

Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 01:22
((Does anyone know where Beleg is? I'll have to find something else to do with Atma if he isn't coming back. Not a huge problem, but I just need to know))
Yavannildi and proud!
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 01:04
I'll be out from the 13th to the 20th on vacation, but I'll be back!
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 10:24
(OCC: first off, let me say i'm really sorry...i got a full time job for the summer, plus overtime, so i've been a bum over here at CoE. I'm sorry about that! i'm still alive!

Second, my grammar skills aren't that bad. But Xenith's are. I'm trying little by little to develop him.)

Everyone seemed to agree with Xenith's proposal, and yet they all seemed to have very limited knowledge of the surrounding woods and town as well. He grinned inwardly - he could take all of these poor travellers' loot and leave them lost in the forest. The elves' effects especially - many pawners would pay high price for a glimpse at such perfection and beauty.

But he wouldn't take from the travellers. He wasn't that despicable, at least not anymore. Besides, his sword skills were limited - he was used to using any nearby chair or pan to defend himself - and he could use the protection from the warriors. The sword was mainly for looks. Not that he would admit that to any of them.

As they went forth, his legs began to ache as he endured riding. Soon he dismounted his horse, and walked beside it. At most, Xenith preferred to travel by foot. As tall as he was, he never liked horses, at least to travel on. If he ever felt the need to flee from a band of theives, or worse, a band of guards, he didn't want to place his chances of escape with a stupid beast. He'd rather depend upon himself.

He walked a ways ahead of the troupe, horses and all, and sighed as he had to wait for the third time.

Xenith posed daintily, as if he were a high prince not used to seeing dirt. "I mean no offense, good travellers, but what use is travelling if it takes you longer than a lazy hound walking in the mud?" He called to them, in the most proper, stuffy sounding voice he could muster. He grinned as he spotted the Elf Halhigil's pointed ears growing red. Atma giggled, and the Dwarf didn't bother to suppress a grin.

His jovial darts were cut short as he heard a rustling nearby. Whirling around, he stepped cautiously upon the fallen leaves, choosing a thick bush to conceal his frame. Upon further excursion he descried a cave, a very small one - a nook, really - and a runaway cooking pot rolling out of its opening.

He grinned lopsidedly. As the troupe caught up with his strides, he hunched slightly and whispered, "It seems we's scared somebody. Does any of you seasoned warrior folks be pleased to draw 'im out?"

[Edited on 16/8/2005 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 10:15
Bronwe sighed at the obvious disdain for equines that of some members of the party had, absently twining her fingers in Brethil's silken mane. As the day wore on, she began to feel the usual strain that came from a long, continuous ride, however gentle, and threw a leg back over Brethil's back to sit sidesaddle.

They had been riding at a leisurely pace for quite a while now, and it seemed as if the dark man - Xeinth, was it? - was getting rather impatient. He had dismounted, and run ahead, and was now doubling back with barely hidden exasperation evident on his face.

Xenith posed daintily, as if he were a high prince not used to seeing dirt. "I mean no offense, good travellers, but what use is travelling if it takes you longer than a lazy hound walking in the mud?" He called to them, in the most proper, stuffy sounding voice he could muster.

Atma giggled, the other elf - what was his name again? Halhigil or something like that - looked embarrassed, and the dwarf was amused. Bronwe rolled her eyes, biting back a smile.

"You're going to have to work on that accent if you want to pass for nobility."

His jovial darts were cut short as he heard a rustling nearby. Whirling around, he stepped cautiously upon the fallen leaves, choosing a thick bush to conceal his frame. Upon further excursion he descried a cave, a very small one - a nook, really - and a runaway cooking pot rolling out of its opening.

He grinned lopsidedly. As the troupe caught up with his strides, he hunched slightly and whispered, "It seems we's scared somebody. Does any of you seasoned warrior folks be pleased to draw 'im out?"

Wincing slightly at Xeinth's atrocious grammar, Bronwe dismounted to take a cautious look at the cave.
Arthag_Felgard
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2005 11:40
As he realised that he had been noticed he stepped out from the cave with his axe in hand preaperd to fight for his life if it would go that far.

He looked at the elves with a mean exprecion on his face as they came closer.

"Who might ye be then longshanks??" His voice was dark and mighty but a slight undertone of exitement was heard as he tried to measure their skills as warriors and calculate his chanses.
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 01:51
((Is there an opening for my character Cerdwin? She's half-human, half-elf but has no idea of her elven heritage. She's pretty much a traveler. OH and she's in the database))
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 02:23
((The more the merrier! My character would disagree with the sentiment in principle, but meh. ))

[Edited on 18/8/2005 by nelenata]
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 07:38
Cerdwin had been watching the odd company for a while now from her hiding place. She'd been following them for quite a bit and for some reason she was just drawn to them.
She realized her fascination might be because it was such an odd little group of travelers and she wondered what on earth would get them all together in one place.
She also realized with a sudden start how lonely she was. She hadn't had a traveling companion for a good....ok if she admitted it to herself she'd NEVER had a real traveling companion. She was always just the follower when they were showing her around.
She shifted her weight on the low branch of the tree and froze, eyes wide as she heard a crack.

[Edited on 18/8/2005 by Mom2Freja]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 08:16
((Sorry, this is a bit of a crap post, but I'm pushed for time.))

Halhigil felt the tips of his ears grow warm, and cursed himself for being so easily embarrassed -- and over what, exactly? Many thanks for nothing, Antval. But he couldn't help but grin at Xenith's expression. "What is the use in travelling," he returned easily, "if you move so fast that you see nothing of the places you pass through?"

"It seems we's scared somebody. Does any of you seasoned warrior folks be pleased to draw 'im out?"

Halhigil said nothing as Bronwe dismounted to investigate. He tended to actively avoid the spotlight, so to speak. Bronwe was welcome to do the honours. Suddenly he looked round sharply as the sound of a cracking branch snapped through the air from the trees nearby. It was a sound he was very familiar with from his many years spent patrolling Mirkwood, and one he reacted to instinctively.

Almost reflexively, he drew an arrow, with his hands moving faster than mortal sight, though his expression was anything but alarmed. Halhigil winced almost imperceptibly; he had forgotten that technically, he still wasn't supposed to be doing this. "Man tana?" he asked in his native Sindarin, sounding almost bored. Elbereth's stars, he did this every damn day at home. "Who is that?" he repeated in his softly accented Westron. "If I don't need to shoot you, please say so and I won't."

A smile tugged at his lips slightly. "And if it's Erethien, I suggest you make yourself scarce." He didn't seriously think it was her, but she seemed to turn up wherever he went, and it wasn't an acquaintance he was fond of. "If not, ignore that."

[Edited on 19/8/2005 by nelenata]
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 08:52
Cerdwin flinched at the voice but couldn't answer as the limb and her with it tumbled to the ground. She landed on the ground with a thump and groaned.

"Ow, why's the ground have to be so hard." She snorted at herself and slowly sat up, completely ignoring the presence she felt in front of her for the moment. She checked herself over, muttering to herself, "No broken bones, well that's a plus. No bumps on the head, another good thing. Seems like the only think injured is my pride and the poor tree."

Sighing she stood and began dusting herself off and glaced up, while pulling twigs from her hair and froze. Finally realizing she was at arrow point. She held up her hands.

"Er, Hallo, sorry bout that. Didn't know the limb wasn't as sturdy as it looked. Need to be more careful in the future." She said and blushed deeply. Feeling as awkward as she ever did around people.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 10:37
"Er, Hallo, sorry bout that. Didn't know the limb wasn't as sturdy as it looked. Need to be more careful in the future." She said and blushed deeply. Feeling as awkward as she ever did around people.

Halhigil returned the arrow to its quiver; she was clearly not a threat. He hadn't been seriously worried in any case, but old habits died hard. She was evidently embarrassed, but he merely shrugged one shoulder; it was a common occurrence in his experience. "It happens to most people at some point. You're lucky you were near the ground, is all." Halhigil had vivid memories of the last time he had fallen out of a tree; it had been from the canopy, and the recollections were not pleasant ones. In fact, it was because of that particular incident that he was here now.

Halhigil looked at the tree. He, and indeed any elf, would have been able to tell easily if serious damage had been done. "I wouldn't worry about the tree," he said. "If the branch snapped, it probably wasn't healthy." He smiled. "You likely did it a favour."
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 03:51
"I wouldn't worry about the tree," he said. "If the branch snapped, it probably wasn't healthy." He smiled. "You likely did it a favour."

"Thank you." She whispered quietly. She quickly motioned for him to hold on a moment and ducked back behind the tree emerging with her staff which she gripped a few times reminding herself not to be too paranoid. She also grabbed her pack and slung it over her shoulder sighing as it's familiar weight also comforted her.

She moved back to wear the elf stood, "I really didn't mean to eves drop it was just you have a strange little party here. Just caught my attention." She'd never really been in the presence of elves before and was itching to ask questions but settled for "Where are you all traveling?"

[Edited on 20/8/2005 by Mom2Freja]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 05:12
Bronwe froze as she heard a branch cracking from somewhere above. Her hands went instinctively to the bow slung over her back; she had an arrow notched on in an instant and trained on the canopy above. Halhigil was doing the same – Bronwe realised with a little bit of a shock that Halhigil’s style was definitely that of a Mirkwood-trained warrior, and wondered why she had never really noticed him before. But then again, her life had revolved around the stables and the younger elflings. She tended the horses of the warriors and taught elflings to ride, but had never actively involved herself in anything else, let alone socialising. Perhaps she had seen Halhigil once or twice before, but she saw so many warriors with their horses she couldn’t remember, or perhaps he had not much need to come to the stables – he could have been a foot soldier, for all she knew.

"Man tana?" he asked in his native Sindarin, sounding almost bored. Elbereth's stars, he did this every damn day at home. "Who is that?" he repeated in his softly accented Westron. "If I don't need to shoot you, please say so and I won't."

A smile tugged at his lips slightly. "And if it's Erethien, I suggest you make yourself scarce." He didn't seriously think it was her, but she seemed to turn up wherever he went, and it wasn't an acquaintance he was fond of. "If not, ignore that."

There followed a louder crack, and something – someone – tumbled out of a tree, landing with a hard thump on the ground, followed closely with a half-rotted tree limb.

"Ow, why's the ground have to be so hard." She snorted at herself and slowly sat up, completely ignoring the presence she felt in front of her for the moment. She checked herself over, muttering to herself, "No broken bones, well that's a plus. No bumps on the head, another good thing. Seems like the only think injured is my pride and the poor tree."

Sighing she stood and began dusting herself off and glaced up, while pulling twigs from her hair and froze. Finally realizing she was at arrow point. She held up her hands.

"Er, Hallo, sorry bout that. Didn't know the limb wasn't as sturdy as it looked. Need to be more careful in the future." She said and blushed deeply.

It was a young woman, her mannerisms and dress that of man, but at the same time with something distinctly elvish about her. Bronwe couldn’t see her ears, obscured as they were by the young woman’s hair, but she realised she was staring and, unnotching the arrow, pushed it back into her quiver and returned to Brethil’s side. Halhigil was doing the same.

"It happens to most people at some point. You're lucky you were near the ground, is all."

Halhigil looked at the tree. He, and indeed any elf, would have been able to tell easily if serious damage had been done. "I wouldn't worry about the tree," he said. "If the branch snapped, it probably wasn't healthy." He smiled. "You likely did it a favour."

"Thank you." She whispered quietly. She quickly motioned for him to hold on a moment and ducked back behind the tree emerging with her staff which she gripped a few times reminding herself not to be too paranoid. She also grabbed her pack and slung it over her shoulder sighing as it's familiar weight also comforted her.

She moved back to wear the elf stood, "I really didn't mean to eves drop it was just you have a strange little party here. Just caught my attention." She'd never really been in the presence of elves before and was itching to ask questions but settled for "Where are you all traveling?"

Personally, Bronwe was none too sure about the answer to that question. *She* had been on her own way to Rivendell, but she wasn’t sure about the rest of the group.
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 07:57
Atma watched silently as they rode, trying to get a feel for all the people who had suddenly come into her life. Of course, they seemed honest, but life on your own did not allow for trust. Unconciously, she stayed as far away from Kand as possible; he was her height, but twice as wide, more intimidating to her than any of the others and a dwarf besides--dwarves were always too loud and rough from what Atma had seen of them. She wished she could be closer to Xenith, but he kept walking ahead of the group and Atma was afraid of disturbing him if he wanted to be alone.

"I mean no offense, good travellers, but what use is travelling if it takes you longer than a lazy hound walking in the mud?" Beleg asked suddenly, making Atma jump in surprise. Then she looked around. Halhigil was turning a very pretty shade of red, Bronwe simply looked insulted, and Kand looked...smug, though it was hard to tell through his mass of facial hair. With such a range of expressions, Atma couldn't help but giggle and heel her horse a little to catch up to Xenith.

The next five minutes passed abnormally fast: first, a cave and yet another dwarf that peeked out of it, and Atma shied back from him under a tree when she heard a crack above her head and barely got away before another woman crashed onto the ground where she and her horse had just been.

"Ow, why's the ground have to be so hard. No broken bones, well that's a plus. No bumps on the head, another good thing. Seems like the only think injured is my pride and the poor tree." The woman mutttered as Atma pursed her small lips together and drew back farther. Nearly falling on top of her, and yet ignoring Atma completely! Atma didn't really care to think about why she would want to be noticed in the first place, so she fell back by Xenith instead.

"Why do more people keep finding us?" she asked exasperatedly, "I don't like them at all; they don't know me! I wish they'd go away," Atma finished, crossing her arms.

"I understand, fox...but there are reasons, I am sure, for them to be here."

Atma contemplated this but, as she did not see any reason that pertained to her, set her mind to other things. "Well...." she said after a minute or so, "can I give them reasons not to be here?"

Xenith laughed, "That depends on what you have in mind, little one."

"Would ants be alright?"
Yavannildi and proud!
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 07:43
((Ooc: Wow! This thread has really taken off since the last time that I posted.))

"It seems we's scared somebody. Does any of you seasoned warrior folks be pleased to draw 'im out?"

“What? Where?” Kand called out, looking from side to side. He gave the horse that he rode a gentle tug on the reigns, but it kept plodding along. “Stop.” he tried saying, giving the reigns another tug. The animal kept moving. “Halt!” the Dwarf tried again, with no effect. “Stop dumb animal!” Kand shouted, and jerked back hard on the reigns. The horse responded by rearing slightly, which threw Kand off balance and sent him tumbling to the ground. Fortunately the grass was soft and springy form the recent rains, and the Dwarf was unhurt, except in pride. But as Kand scrambled to his feet, he realized that no one had even noticed his fall. Instead their attention was focused on… another Dwarf. The red-bearded Dwarf was dressed for battle and crouched behind his shield, holding a short battle-axe at ready. He eyed the strange company suspiciously and spoke:

"Who might ye be then longshanks??"

Kand realized that the other Dwarf must not have noticed him yet, and acted quickly by stepping between the elves and the stranger. “Here now, my good fellow. He began, bowing quickly in the Dwarven manner, “If you be a friend then these good people certainly mean you no harm. You have the word of a fellow Dwarf on that.”

But before Kand could even introduce himself, there was a loud crashing noise behind him, and he spun around just in time to see a strange woman picking herself up off the ground. Halhigil and Bronwe held their bows ready, pointing them at this new stranger. “Elves move too fast!” Kand muttered to himself. “I have no idea what’s going on.” The woman stood up and raised her hands.

"Er, Hallo, sorry bout that. Didn't know the limb wasn't as sturdy as it looked. Need to be more careful in the future." She said and blushed deeply.

Kand looked down at the fallen tree branch that lay on the ground, and up at the place where it had evidently broken off the tree. So she had been sitting up there, then? Elves. Halhigil and Bronwe lowered their bows, evidently seeing that this newcomer was not a threat.

"It happens to most people at some point. You're lucky you were near the ground, is all."

Where were they traveling? Kand was not really sure himself. It had just been his intention to travel with this group while looking for good locations to prospect, and they were headed in the general direction that he was going, anyway. And there was always safety in numbers in this uncertain age. There was a short silence, as no one seemed how to answer the question. After a rather awkward pause, Kand sighed and turned back to the other Dwarf.
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 08:07

When her question was met with silence Cerdwin smiled and then giggled slightly. "Ok, so I'm guessing there is no destination? Just to wander around till you find somewhere to go? Where did you all come from then? Most recently I traveled through Rohan."

Cerdwin was slightly surprised, she didn't feel as shy as she usually did around others. She thought it might be because in such an odd group she could blend in quite easily if she needed to. She wasn't really standing out much. She brushed her hair back revealing her pointed ears. She'd always felt out of place with everyone. She assumed she had elven blood but how much from whom was unknown to her. She supposed it was probably her father but she didn't care much as she had no idea who he was.

She blushed a little and looked down, now feeling a bit shy, "Would you mind terribly.....i-if I joined you? I wouldn't be much trouble and I can hold my own in a fight." She once more returned her gaze to the ground.

[Edited on 21/8/2005 by Mom2Freja]
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 08:18
OCC: nelenata - you might've noticed that Xenith has a bit of a indignance against Halhigil. It's only because i think his character would clash with Halhigil's. So please don't think I have a vendetta against you or anything.

Let me put up a list of everyone here, so I don't forget anyone. There's Xenith, Halhigil, Atma, Nellas, Bronwe, Kand, and now Furin and Cerdwin. Did I forget someone?

Xenith began to swell with anticipation, though he wouldn't admit it to anyone. This was a large group accumulating, it was; as he had told Atma, he was a firm believer in strangers banding together for one, true purpose - be it for good or for stealing a bushel of yams from the local farmer. Yet...what this group's purpose was he didn't yet fully realize. It was unsettling yet exciting all the same. From Atma's spirited quips to Kand's reasoning with his kinsman to...to Halhigil's stuffiness, Xenith determined that his time with this troupe would be well spent. For the most part.

"Hi now, little warrior," Xenith said, hands raised as he spoke to the wild Dwarf. "We don't be meanin' you any trouble. We's just travelin' through, as you are."

"Mind your business, you overgrown sapling! Watch your legs, or I may chop you down!" The frazzled Dwarf growled back, weapons brandished.

Eyebrow raised, Xenith decided he didn't want to reason with the new Dwarf (who did, really?), but simply stepped back as Kand tried to speak with his kinsman, and enjoyed the show.

He was as startled as the others when Cerdwin fell before them, he laughed as she asked to join them. Distracted as usual when a female figure entered his notice, he gave Atma a reassuring wink as he stepped forward and bowed slightly to Cerdwin. For some reason, he was in a much better mood then those few days beforehand.

"If pretty ladies continue to fall from the trees, I may never leave this group! Ye can join us, love, if it's alrigh' with th' others. See, I know the best ways out of this little pit, bein' the price is protection from thems." He gestured towards the others. "A lot of merchantmen don't really approve of my presence, if y'understand me." After non-chalantly looking her over, he asked, "Ye sure y'not too broken from ye fall? It looked a mite hard, it did."

"No no, I'm alright," Cerdwin said shyly.

Xenith grinned, winking at her. "Well, since I's havin' no qualms against ye, what do th' rest of ye say? Can she join us, eh? What's that? Yes you say? Well good then!"

He noticed the newcomer was staring at him. He recieved that same look quite often. "Ah, m' name's Xenith, by the by. Do ye know where ye be goin' now?"

[Edited on 21/8/2005 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 05:27
When her question was met with silence Cerdwin smiled and then giggled slightly. "Ok, so I'm guessing there is no destination? Just to wander around till you find somewhere to go? Where did you all come from then? Most recently I traveled through Rohan."

She blushed a little and looked down, now feeling a bit shy, "Would you mind terribly.....i-if I joined you? I wouldn't be much trouble and I can hold my own in a fight." She once more returned her gaze to the ground.

When Bronwe turned back to the others she realised their party was another member more – another dwarf, wild, red-haired, and with a rather aggressive stance. She decided that Kand was probably the best person to deal with him and turned her attention back to the woman. She had brushed back her hair to reveal pointed eartips – an elf, raised by humans? Or could she be a half elf? Bronwe mused.

Xeinth, meanwhile, was in quite a jovial mood. And a flirty one at that.

"If pretty ladies continue to fall from the trees, I may never leave this group! Ye can join us, love, if it's alrigh' with th' others. See, I know the best ways out of this little pit, bein' the price is protection from thems." He gestured towards the others. "A lot of merchantmen don't really approve of my presence, if y'understand me." After non-chalantly looking her over, he asked, "Ye sure y'not too broken from ye fall? It looked a mite hard, it did."

"No no, I'm alright," Cerdwin said shyly.

Xenith grinned, winking at her. "Well, since I's havin' no qualms against ye, what do th' rest of ye say? Can she join us, eh? What's that? Yes you say? Well good then!"

He noticed the newcomer was staring at him. He recieved that same look quite often. "Ah, m' name's Xenith, by the by. Do ye know where ye be goin' now?"

Not for the first time, Bronwe shuddered and winced at Xeinth’s atrocious use of language. Merchants couldn’t stand him? Come to think of it, she was having a hard time doing exactly that too.

Then there was a nudge at her elbow, and she felt something nibbling at her sleeve. Spinning around, she saw the small brown she had given Kand earlier, looking quite disgruntled and annoyed. Kand, meanwhile, looked even more annoyed than the horse, if that was indeed possible.

“What happened?” she caught the runaway horse and addressed the question at Kand, feeling quite amused. “I do believe you’ll need a saddle after all.”
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 08:08
Cerdwin giggled at Xenith, "I'm Cerdwin and I never have a destination. I go where my feet take me." She still spoke in a low voice. She'd had quite a hard time following Xenith's speach at all. It was just thanks to her traveling she hadn't had to ask him to repeat himeslf.
She glanced up and saw a pale blond woman sitting on a horse. She thought she looked rather like an elf but didn't like staring at her ears to find out. She noticed the woman's disgusted face and had to bite her lip so as not to laugh. She guessed Xenith's language had that offect on some people.
Arthag_Felgard
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 11:48
((Sorry but I think I'm droppin this one, I have missed to much of what have been done since I last was in so it would just seem weird if I continued.
Unless anybody has something against me leaving?))
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 08:58
ooc: Okay...I'm back! Wow, alot has happened lately! I'm going to go a little ways back...

by th way, I've had Nellas's profile in the database for a while, so you all can check it out if you want!

~~~~~~~~~~

Xenith posed daintily, as if he were a high prince not used to seeing dirt. "I mean no offense, good travellers, but what use is travelling if it takes you longer than a lazy hound walking in the mud?" He called to them, in the most proper, stuffy sounding voice he could muster. He grinned as he spotted the Elf Halhigil's pointed ears growing red. Atma giggled, and the Dwarf didn't bother to suppress a grin.

Nellas narrowed her eyes and tried not to smile for Halhigil's sake, but the corner of her mouth twitched. Xenith did have a sort of charm, even if it was in an annoying way. She remembered his bold stare when they had first met, and felt her face go red again at the memory. Ugh, why can I never control that horrid blush! she thought with disgust. At any rate, she was beginning to like this scruffy mortal.

When Cerwin fell out of the tree and was welcomed into the group, Nellas said nothing, but watched Cerdwin curiously. At first she couldn't decide what Cerwin was. Her clothes were not distinctly elven-made, but her eyes were bright and clear....very green...elvish eyes.

Nellas sensed an elvish air in her, but also a distinct mortalness. Confused and interested, she looked forward to asking Cerwin about herself later on.

Xenith, who was obviously in a good mood, was quite welcoming.

Nellas noticed Bronwe's disapproval of his casual flirtiness, and couldn't say that she disagreed. But, after all, you couldn't expect a rogue mortal to have the manners of an elf, she thought.

[Edited on 23/8/2005 by NellasTaralom]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 11:14
((I've left a note in the OOC thread.))

Halhigil couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at Xenith's tone. He doubted Xenith would even notice; he seemed distinctly preoccupied with his female companions. Where Halhigil came from, one simply didn't speak with women in that fashion unless one had both known them a long time and liked them an awful lot into the bargain. He sighed. Perhaps he was too shy. The woman's appearance was interesting; too graceful for a human, yet she did not have the 'feeling' of an Elf. Strange. Half-Elven, perhaps? he wondered silently. Rare, but possible. He tucked the thought away for later contemplation.

Surprisingly, Xenith's atrocious grammar did not so much annoy as interest him. Halhigil was a natural mimic, and was always quick to pick up tones and modes of speech. 'Interesting,' he thought. He wondered offhandedly how Xenith would react if he ever heard Halhigil's voice break abruptly from its usual baritone to, say, Atma's high-pitched tones, correct in every inflection. The ellon was unable to suppress a grin at the thought. He rubbed his chin, well able to imagine the comments that would likely come flying his way, but he remained amused by the idea. He had a feeling that Xenith would be more than a little disturbed. Somehow, the 'tough nuts' usually were.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2005 08:11
((I think I'll have limited computer access for the next couple of days, so I figured I'd post this now. It's a little long - -sorry about that. ))

Suddenly, subconsciously, Halhigil felt the atmosphere change. He wasn’t quite sure how, but he could tell that it had changed somehow – as though the air had changed temperature, or as though a scent had suddenly drifted into a room. His face twitched slightly. He knew this feeling well, and it wasn’t one that generally made him happy. Halhigil sighed, muttered something unprintable under his breath, and dismounted. “Sirdhail, daro.” The gelding snorted and shook his head, but remained where he was. Halhigil kept one eye on a group of boulders about thirty yards away, as he ostensibly fiddled around with the horse’s girth.

A moment later, his keen eyes caught a shadow shift beside that cast by the rock. Halhigil raised one eyebrow. If anyone was watching him, he could well guess who it might be. “Damn it,” he muttered. “You always damn well turn up.” He reached down, picked up a large pebble from the ground, and walked a little way out from the main group. Halhigil weighed the rock in his hand briefly before hefting it over to the group of boulders halfway up the hillside.

“Ow!” A figure appeared from behind the rocks, closely followed by a large horse. “I know we’re not on friendly terms, Halhigil, but that was uncalled for!”

Halhigil scowled. “You always bloody well follow me, don’t you, Erethien? You deserve that and more.”

“I don’t,” retorted the elleth, approaching closer down the hill until she stood in front of him. She was even taller than Halhigil – only by three inches, it was true, but a couple of inches could make an awful lot of difference. Erethien looked him in her characteristic way – her blue-grey eyes calculating and careless at the same time, impossible to second-guess or understand. She rubbed her head ruefully and twisted a strand of brown hair around her finger. It was loose and long, which was unusual for her; it was usually very short, or plaited back. “At least I wasn’t tracking you this time.”

“I’ll believe that once you prove it,” said Halhigil shortly. He folded his arms and tapped his foot. “One hundred and seventy nine stitches, Erethien.”

“A hundred and seventy nine?” Erethien grinned – it was a disturbing smile, more than a little feral. There was always something wild about Erethien’s face – in her smile, her eyes, her sharp, strong features. She raised a dark eyebrow, impressed against her will. “Halhigil, I’ll even apologise for that one.”

“Don’t bother,” he replied, heavy on the sarcasm. “I wouldn’t want you to strain yourself.” He eyed the saddlebags on the bay mare. “What are you smuggling this time?”

“Smuggling? Captain, your suspicion is wounding.”

“If only because I’m right.” Halhigil pointed a threatening finger at her. “I’m not joking, Erethien. You keep that stuff out of the Greenwood, or you’ll be sorry before you’re much older.”

Erethien scowled, the feral smile vanishing with ominous abruptness from her features. She was not a safe person to get on the wrong side of, and Halhigil knew he was playing with fire by annoying her. “Come on, Halhigil, what are you going to do? Arrest me, here?” She snorted in a most un-elven fashion. “A little competition won’t do anyone any harm, and I wouldn’t care if it did, so you’re wasting your time.”

“Don’t you just love the smell of an economy burning in the morning?” said Halhigil dryly, looking askance at Erethien. “Elbereth’s sakes, all I ask is that for once in your life, you leave the Woodland Realm out of your ventures.” He scowled back at her. “I really don’t give a damn what you do elsewhere, Erethien, but please keep your smuggling out of the Greenwood.”

“Why should I?”

Halhigil studied his non-existent fingernails in a disinterested fashion. “Principally because if you get caught –“

“Which I won’t.”

“— which you will if I’m back within a month of your arrival – then you’ll be behind bars where you belong. Like that.” He snapped his long fingers under Erethien’s nose. “I seem to remember you didn’t get on well with our guards the last time.” Baiting Erethien was never a good idea when she was feeling rebellious, and Halhigil knew it well. It had never stopped him before, and didn’t stop him now.

He was not entirely surprised at the sharp ring of a blade being drawn. Erethien scowled at him, the point of her sword under his chin. Halhigil raised his hands, but did not appear alarmed. If anything, he looked annoyed. “Erethien, your already sketchy standards are slipping further every day.” He shook his head. “For the Valar’s sake, Erethien. Put the weapon down.”

Erethien continued to hold her sword exactly where it was. “Give me a better reason than you have, and I might think about it.”

Halhigil regarded her coolly and folded his arms. It wasn’t a very wise move, given Erethien’s volatile and unpredictable nature, but he didn’t think she would go through with it in this case. She wasn’t angry enough; only irritated. “One, you wouldn’t, not with eight witnesses. Even you’re not that stupid, though I sometimes wonder.” The point came closer and he raised his chin slightly. “Two, I’ve no intention of drawing a weapon on you, and you were never one for slicing into the unarmed without severe provocation.” He glared at her. “And three, you’ve enough interesting events on your records as it rests, without adding kinslaying just to round it all off nicely. Now will you please remove that weapon from underneath my chin?”

Erethien eyed him, but sheathed her sword. “You’re no fun, Halhigil. Anyone sensible would have drawn.” She raised one eyebrow. “And how is it that you manage to look down your nose at people even when you’re shorter?” She had a try, failed, shook her head and grinned, hands on hips. “You’ve been practising for me.”

Halhigil snorted. “Don’t flatter yourself, Erethien. It’s a necessary skill with beanpoles like you around.” He looked her up and down. “You’ve no need anyway -- what’s the weather like up there?” He smiled briefly, then his expression darkened again. “If I’m not sensible, you must be rubbing off on me. I meant what I said. Keep that stuff out of the Realm, whatever it is.”

“Why should I?” she retorted flippantly. “Good trade in there, you know. The world doesn’t operate on your say-so.”

“The world doesn’t revolve around you, either,” he snapped. “Not on my shift. I couldn’t care less what rules you break everywhere else, but not in the Greenwood and not on my shift, Erethien. There’s a time and a place, and that isn’t it.”

Erethien raised her eyebrows and grinned in an infuriating fashion. “That’s rather like abdicating responsibility, isn’t it? You’re losing your touch, Halhigil.”

Halhigil inhaled slowly. “Quite. I’m not your childminder, Erethien, though I sometimes wonder. Abdicating responsibility is the only way to stay sane with maniacs like you around the place,” he replied testily. He walked back to the group; much to his irritation, Erethien followed him. “I’ve lost count of the amount of time I’ve wasted running after you!”

"Then why not just stop?"

Halhigil sighed heavily. He wasn't about to launch into a lecture on the subjects of duty, loyalty and morality, not here. He had tried it, and he knew it didn't work anyway.

---------
daro -- Stay/Stop.

NB: If this is going to be SA/early TA, I'll use the old name for Mirkwood.

NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 25, 2005 10:27
Halhigil, ignoring the elf-maid named Erethien who stood behind him, said "Well, shall we be going then?" rather gruffly to his companions.

"Erm..." Nellas began hesitantly, looking at Halhigil, who did not meet her gaze, but stood scowling by his horse as if waiting for all of them to mount. Most of Halhigil and Erethien's dialogue had been overheard by the group, and Nellas didn't like what she had heard about Erethien being some sort of smuggler.

She certainly looked like one. Even if Nellas hadn't heard the conversation, she would have guessed as much. Did this newcome plan to follow them? She certainly would follow Halhigil. But Nellas decided she wouldn't abandon common courtesy just because of what Erethien was. And Erethien didn't seem a danger to them, at least at the moment.

Nellas strode forward and held out her hand in greeting. She could hear Halhigil give an odd noise behind her back, but ignored him.

"Hello Erethien...my name is Nellas. I am, well, traveling with Halhigil in this company." Nellas, who had inherited the small Sindarin build of her mother's kin, could not help but notice that Erethien, (who was taller than Halhigil even) towered over her.

Erethien raised her eyebrows, and looked down shrewdly at Nellas. Whether she was amused or grateful at Nellas's welcome-(Nellas would have guessed the former)-she stuck out her hand a clasped Nellas's briefly with a firm grip. "Ah, yes. I was not under the impression that Halhigil would take up with strangers. He usually travels alone." As she said this, her keen eyes wandered over the company, as if appraising each member.

Nellas glanced at her smallest companion, who sat silently on her stolen horse, quite forgotten by everyone at the moment. Atma certainly didn't need someone like Erethien-a smuggler-hanging around her, Nellas thought. And, Erethien was exactly the kind of person Atma would be interested in.

[Edited on 25/8/2005 by NellasTaralom]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email