Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
Post RE: Thicker than Water ((Free)) Keep, please
on: August 25, 2005 12:53
(OCC: nothing wrong with long posts! And to Arthag, whom i don't know if anyone caught his post - it's fine if you leave. no biggie.)

Xenith could only watch and listen in amusement as Halhigil berated Erethien, and she continued to build up his ire. An Elven smuggler, was she? He thought that all Elves were pure, honest, and full of well-meaning scruples. Apparently he was muchly wrong.

After Halhigil's tirades had subsided, he left Cerdwin's side and walked cautiously up to him, as Nellas was occupying Erethien's attentions.

"It's probably bein' none of me business-" Xenith began.

"And it very well is not. I would kindly ask you to continue guiding us out of this place and leave me to my own affairs." Halhigil's cheeks were red with anger, which didn't deter Xenith.

"Well, since I'm ye guide, I've a feelin' that 'tis my business. Not even I would be throwing rocks at a lady, now."

"She is no lady!" Halhigil hissed. "She is one of the most prominent smugglers in the Greenwood! She is a detriment to my society!" After a moment's pause, he added, "You two should befriend each other, for you have much in common."

Grinning slightly and letting the archer's barb pass, Xenith replied, "If I'd like to know how to anger ye I'll be sure to ask her. It doesn't take much, it seems." Leaning forward slightly, he added, "She doesn't be lookin' too much on the stable side, mate. I'd watch yeself."

Halhigil gave Xenith a withering look. "Rest assured I've already reminded myself of that. Now leave me and do what you're supposed to be doing!"

Xenith gave him an enigmatic smirk. "Certainly. And I'll be explainin' m'self to...to Erethien, is it? Ye never know - she n' I could accomplish great things t'gether. I suppose ye'll be havin' to carve more darts for y'bow, eh?" As he turned to leave Halhigil's side, he parted with, "Don't ye be thinkin' me stupid, Master Elf. I've tired of ye. Rest assured I will take ye, th' Dwarf, and these females out of this pit, but aft'wards - all agreements are expired."

As Xenith stomped away, he exchanged a momentary glance with Erethien. What their gazes said only the two knew.

Atma flitted up to Xenith. "What'd you tell Halhigil?"

"Nothin', little bit. Are ye hungry? I might go huntin' for some grouse around here."

Atma only answered him with a dubious, wide-eyed gaze.

Stepping further, he said, "I suppose we should stop here for the night, eh?" in a lighter tone. "Would ye ladies - and you too, Master Dwarf - mind a camp among the trees?"

(OCC: i'm not sure where this came from. male bravado, i suppose, lol.)
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2005 12:30
((Heh heh! Nice post, Xenith. Erethien is in the Db, by the way, but a lot of it is pretty loose, given her unpredictable temperament. Partly because of that, I'd sort of prefer it if people didn't play her too much, not in stressful situations anyway, because she reacts in odd ways sometimes. Same goes for Halhigil a bit, but to nowhere near the same extent. He's much more stable and easier to play around with. ))

Erethien had always found it amusing to drive Halhigil to distraction, and had a particular gift in that direction, but he seemed more on edge than usual tonight. Interesting. She had noted Nellas' silent reservations despite her courtesy, and was similarly amused by them. Nellas' manners towards her were markedly better than Halhigil's. Though considering their history together, Erethien did not blame him in the slightest. She would probably have thumped him had she been in his position. The elleth wondered idly what it would take to drive Halhigil to physical violence against kin, but abandoned the idea as unlikely. Besides which, she might be bigger, but Erethien did not fancy her chances against Halhigil in a straight fight.

The mortal man -- what was his name? -- caught her eye for a moment. There was something familiar about him; Erethien was certain she had seen him before, perhaps even worked with him briefly. She would have to ask him later, she decided as he stepped aside and spoke to Halhigil, who looked distinctly irritated. Erethien noted his high colour with surprise and interest. 'He must be really annoyed,' she thought, half amused, half curious. The last time she'd seen him so flushed, it had been because he'd had an arrowhead embedded in his arm for the last fortnight. 'I wonder why? Something else really,' she guessed. Erethien irritated him, yes, but never to that extent, not so easily.

"Would ye ladies - and you too, Master Dwarf - mind a camp among the trees?"

Erethien shrugged one shoulder, unsure of whether the question was also intended for her. "It's all the same to me." She glanced at Halhigil, who had his back to her. "I hope you enjoyed the show," she said lightly to the man, with a bit of a grin. "I'll hazard a guess that that's the first and last time you'll ever hear him shout, even at me." Erethien grinned. "He hasn't done that for a good seven years since last I saw him." She eyed him closely. "Have I not met you before, somewhere?"

Halhigil sighed heavily and loosened Sirdhail's girth. 'Elbereth's stars,' he thought wearily. 'What is wrong with me tonight?' Erethien was one of the most infuriating people he had the misfortune to know -- and Halhigil knew a lot of them -- but that was no reason for shouting and screaming at Xenith into the bargain. He didn't need to be dragged into their private disputes. Too late, as usual, it ocurred to Halhigil that he could reasonably have pointed out to Xenith that Erethien generally did him a lot more physical damage than throwing pebbles could ever cause.

'Every time we meet, how is it that I am the one who ends up bleeding?' he wondered. Halhigil had no regrets about shouting at Erethien. She deserved it, for more reasons than one, and it wasn't as though she even minded. He sighed. He would have to speak to both of them at some point; Xenith to apologise, and Erethien because there were several issues that needed sorting out before things spiralled completely out of control. Halhigil was not looking forward to either conversation; for some reason Xenith would scarcely speak to him as it was, and Erethien was hard to have a reasonable conversation with at the best of times. The ellon smiled ruefully at his horse. "Feels just like home, doesn't it, Sirdhail?"
Mom2Freja
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2005 02:02
Cerdwin had watched the entire exchange silently. The newcomer looked familiar but she wasn't sure why. She sighed and looked off into the woods.

Stepping further, he said, "I suppose we should stop here for the night, eh?" in a lighter tone. "Would ye ladies - and you too, Master Dwarf - mind a camp among the trees?"

"I've slept in odder places then the trees," Cerdwin said with a snicker and motioned Lorelei who'd been hiding off near the edge of the treeline to her. She stroked her back softly. "The group seems to grow a lot doesn't it." She moved towards Halhigil who looked very put out and whispered softly, "I gather you are not happy with the newest traveling....companion." She said with a snort, "She reminds me of pesky people I've met in the past."
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 05:40
Bronwe watched with detatched interest as another elf stepped through the trees to join their party. Evidently the newcomer had some sort of relationship with Halhigil, because they were arguing even before the customary greetings and such could be exchanged, and Halhigil did not bother to introduce her, but Bronwe gathered that the tall elleth’s name was Erethien, and that she was a shady character of some sort – a smuggler. In fact, she could have sworn she had heard Erethien’s name mentioned once or twice back home in the Greenwood, usually with contempt or annoyance, by some of the border guards bringing in their horses. Halhigil was certainly annoyed with her, hissing and muttering things about law and order and duty, and then he proceeded to have a whispered – but heated nonetheless – argument with Xeinth as well. Bronwe couldn’t fault Halhigil for arguing with Xeinth, though – she was none too fond of him herself.

//How on earth did I fall in with people like this?! Of all people! A smuggler and a thief!//

Then Xeinth suggested setting up camp in the trees. She shrugged – it was routine to her, and would come easily enough to an elf, but she wasn’t very sure how the others – the dwarf, in particular – would take it. Bronwe wanted to get more information about the newcomer, but Cerdwin seemed to be doing that already, and Halhigil was fuming so badly that if the weather had been a little colder she would have expected tendrils of steam to rise off him. She found Nellas and Atma, who looked unoccupied now that Erethien had turned her attentions to Xeinth. Nellas was looking the girl over with the beginnings of a motherly expression on her face – one that clearly said she didn’t think Atma should be in such company; her own Daernaneth had used that expression myriads of times when she wanted to play with the human children in some of the settlements they had been to.

“I think we’ll be needing flets if all of us are going to spend the night up in the trees. Perhaps you’d like to help?”
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 08:10
A rock went flying a few yards beyond Atma and she watched in admiration as it produced a sharp cry from it's target who was hidden from view. A flicker of a smug smile crossed Halhigil's face before a scowl replaced it as a woman came walking over the rise with a matching expression. Atma couldn't see her features clearly at this distance, but from the flowing style with which shewalked, Atma assumed she was an elf. The better part of their conversation was not understandable, though body language made it clear that the taciturn Halhigil was not happy about the newcomer. Finally, they began walking towards the group and Atma slipped away so she wouldn't be noticed.

Sitting down to watch--anyone who could get under such a severe person's skin merited extensive investigation--Atma kept quiet, fidgiting as little as she could, and ignored Nellas when she came to stand behind her. Once she tried to put her hand on Atma's shoulder but she brushed it off and scooted a few feet away. Halhigil was certainly flustered by the elf's appearance, and even got into a small argument with Xenith, at which Atma's eyed narrowed. Her attachment to Xenith had come impetuously, but he was now the only one in the group to whom she felt any loyalty.

“I think we’ll be needing flets if all of us are going to spend the night up in the trees. Perhaps you’d like to help?”

Atma turned her head to look at Bronwe, who had come up to the side of them. "What's a fuh-lette?" she asked, testing out the new word.

"You've never heard of one of those?" Bronwe looked slightly startled but shrugged, "Well, you're young. Come on, we'll show you how it's done."

"Will she be safe clambering around up in the trees?"

Atma pursed her lips and glared at Nellas, who didn't seem to notice.

"I'll be fine!" she said, at the same time Bronwe assured her with a sardonic smile that Cerdwin had already shown them how harmful a fall was and that a few scrapes might do Atma's attitude some good. Atma shifted her glare to include Bronwe.

When they walked over to the rest to decide where the best place to build the flets would be, and where to get the materials, Atma walked sullenly a little ahead of the group. She was immensly curious about what these "flets" were, having only gathered that they were some sort of treehouse, but was much too proud to leave her sulk to ask anyone, especially the two adults behind her, who were talking between themselves and ignoring Atma's silent protest completely. Atma pouted harder.
Yavannildi and proud!
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 04:34

"Of course," Nellas answered. She grinned at Atma's attempt to pronounce the word "flet". She had obviously not spent much time with elves before this. Nellas wondered if Atma had even ever met an elf before now...

"You've never heard of one of those?" Bronwe looked slightly startled but shrugged, "Well, you're young. Come on, we'll show you how it's done."

"Will she be safe clambering around up in the trees?" Nellas eyed a tall tree dubiously. She would never forgive herself if Atma fell and broke her neck. Maybe it would be better if Bronwe and herself handled it....

"I'll be fine!" Atma yelled. Nellas did not reply, but let Bronwe speak. She had to agree with Bronwe that Atma deserved a few scrapes. As she and Bronwe walked under the trees, looking for a suitable spot, Nellas chided herself for thinking this way. After all, Atma didn't have a parent or gaurdian to teach her how to behave...

She caught sight of a tall, sturdy-looking tree which had no low branches. Coming to stand beside it, Nellas saw that the lowest branch was good length above her head. She sprang lightly up, caught hold of the branch, and pulled herself into the tree. In the center was a fairly roomy, bowl-shaped space between three large, sturdy branches.

"This one looks good," she called down to Bronwe. "The branches are not too high, but high enough to prevent an enemy from reaching us. I'd like to see an orc attempt to climb this." She jumped back down beside Bronwe. "Let's build one here. There should be room enough for at least three up there."

(sorry its not the best, I've got to go!)

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 01:28
[OOC: *chokes* Flets... treehouses... *strangled cough*]

As Atma sulked, Nellas and Bronwe peered into the surrounding trees in search of suitable ones. Nellas struck gold first.

She caught sight of a tall, sturdy-looking tree which had no low branches. Coming to stand beside it, Nellas saw that the lowest branch was good length above her head. She sprang lightly up, caught hold of the branch, and pulled herself into the tree. In the center was a fairly roomy, bowl-shaped space between three large, sturdy branches.

"This one looks good," she called down to Bronwe. "The branches are not too high, but high enough to prevent an enemy from reaching us. I'd like to see an orc attempt to climb this." She jumped back down beside Bronwe. "Let's build one here. There should be room enough for at least three up there."

She turned around and pulled herself lightly into the branches. Perhaps it wasn't as high as she would have liked, but it would do, and besides, they had to make allowances for those among their party who were... less adept among the foilage. Maybe she'd find herself a spot higher up, later.

Returning to the ground, she gave Nellas an appraising nod. "It will do."

Now Bronwe drew the long knife from her belt and went around to the other trees, gathering dead wood from the ground to supplement the small branches she cut from the trees - with their consent, of course. There was enough to weave in and out of the large branches that formed the frame, until, with Nellas' help (Atma was still sulking, it seemed) she had somewhat enlarged the original "platform" in the fork of the tree.

[OOC: Apologies, will post better quality next time; I have a big test tomorrow!]
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 05:32
When they had finished constructing a fairly decent flet, Nellas jumped down to the ground and stood back to admire their work. Brushed a strand of dark hair out of her eyes, she glanced around, counting the others.

"Let's see," she thought. "Xenith, Halhigil, Atma....Cerdwin....myself and Bronwe..." she suddenly stopped. "Oh no!" She whispered, clamping a hand on her forhead. Nellas glanced at Kand, who was busy making a fire. She glanced up at the tall tree. Getting Xenith up the tree might be difficult, but Kand? How would a dwarf feel about spending the night in a tree?

Nellas frowned, then approached Kand. "Erm, Kand? We're making flets to sleep in tonight..." the dark-haired dwarf stood up and eyed the flet-crowned tree.

"I know its not what you would usually camp in," continued the elf-maid, "But you might like it if you try, and its the safest place to stay for the night." She gestured at the flet. "Well, what do you think?"
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 05:54
Xenith grinned at Erethien, dark eyes twinkling. "Why yes, I did enjoy the show, quite. Yet try not to raise his humors up too high - ye wouldn't want 'im to keel over and 'ave murder on ye record, eh? That or murder on his!" Upon hearing Erethien's question of recognition, he shrugged negligently and grinned lopsidedly. "I can't say that I r'member ye too keenly, lovey," he said softly. "But if we did - you would've remembered." He winked and left her.

Xenith walked a ways along to clear his head, and to descry any firewood that would be readily available. They did have an amount from the shack that he was first residing when the group befell him - but it was still a small load. If they were to continue traveling this way, more wood would be needed.

Given his last conversation with the archer Halhigil, he decided that perhaps he should just concede in his efforts to communicate with any of them - Atma too, unless she deigned to speak with him. No one ever respected him to begin with- was it the tattered woolens he wore? Matted hair? Unshaven face?

He shook his head slightly. What did ye expect, eh? I am a...taker of personal goods, in fact. No feelin' sorry for y'self, now, he said to himself. That never got you no where. This group can take ye as ye please or be done with ye. Either way, he was still leaving this place and moving on.

"Can I help?"

Atma's voice startled him slightly. He looked down to find her staring up at him, and grinned. "Sure, fox. Y'closer to the ground then this old stork - d'ye see any wood we could use for a camp?"

She helped him readily, asking him questions about his "theivin' days," and he answered as discreetly as he could, while also appeasing her curiosity.

"Did you ever get into any fights?" she asked.

He couldn't stifle a chuckle. "What street rat doesn't get into a tussle, now or then, eh? Countless fights, i've been in."

"Did you ever have to use your sword? I know you did when you were a boy, but what about lately?"

Xenith's smile melted. "...yes, bit, i did have to use it. I'd be pleased if we didn't talk about me sword - i thought i asked that of you."

She blinked up at him, small arms burdened with firewood. "Oh, but...but I thought...since you were so jovial these past -"

"I won't be speaking about my sword's use, i thank ye," he snapped, brusquely emptying her arms of the wood. With long strides he left her, walking back to the encampment where Nellas, Bronwe, and the others were building...well just what in Arda were they building?

After Nellas calmly explained to him, he crossed his long arms and shook his head. "I'm sorry, lovey, but all ye pretty talks and looks won't drive this one up a tree to sleep. I'll stay down here on the hard ground. With the Dwarf."

Bronwe stepped forward, graceful. It began to irritate him. "But Xenith, if you would but listen. These flets are much safer than -"

"Not to me they don't be. I don't be seein' why ye wasted all ye time for such pretty archi- archae--archa--"

"Architecture?" Nellas offered.

"Yes, that. I don't see why ye wasted time on it when we're leaving early in the mornin'. Ai...silly females...ye can just leave me to the bears, if ye'd like!"
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 04:43
((Thought you'd like the treehouse thing And I have nothing against dwarves, that's Atma's thing))

With Nellas and Bronwe completely ignoring her, Atma wandered off by herself, uninterested for the moment in building what was apparantly supposed to be somewhere for them to sleep. In the trees. Somehow. Asif anyone could actually sleep in one. Putting her back against a large trunk she slid down into a sitting position and fiddling with the fallen leaves that covered the base, still damp from the recent rain--she could feel it soaking her light dress through. One of the others was sure to have something in their saddlebags that would fit her well enough...Except that she wasn't leaving yet and they would recognize something taken without permission. Atma wasn't exactly sure why she had stayed yet, perhaps because of Xenith, certainly not because of the dwarves or Nellas. The dwarves should just leave--at least elves were pretty!

Xenith came into view, meandering along, but watching the ground intently. Looking for firewood, Atma thought. Mischievously, she waited to see how long it would take for him to notice her, her bad mood forgotten. It was only when he was right on top of her that she announced herself.

"Can I help?" The swift, surprised jerk of his head as he finally noticed her was very satisfying. He smiled at her though; perhaps now she could figure out what it was about the sword that he didn't want her to know. As they walked along, her load of wood getting heavier, she led into her main question as gradually as she could: Did you this, did you that, and, finally, "Did you ever have to use your sword?"

His smile melted, and when he did reply, it was in a tone so haunted and mixed that Atma wished she hadn't asked again. She felt she ought to apologize but, due to lack of practice, what came out was more excuse than appeasement.

Xenith obviously didn't think it adequate either. "I won't be speaking about my sword's use, i thank ye," he snapped, brusquely emptying her arms of the wood. While Atma stared after him, he marched back to the encampment.

"Well, I was sorry!" she called after him. He didn't have to take it like that! She was only curious to begin with, it wasn't anything against him. After that though...Atma resolved to find out about that sword no matter what. She'd seen him talking to Erethien, maybe she knew something of it. Dusting her hands clean, she ran back to the camp, ignoring Nellas' request for help, to look for their newest elven addition. She'd wanted to talk to her anyway, she told herself, it wasn't that Xenith was the whole reason.
Yavannildi and proud!
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 09:59
Kand said nothing as he watched the strange elf that Halhigil called Erethien, not even giving his usual Dwarven introduction. From the very moment that she first appeared the Dwarf had developed an instant dislike for her, and that feeling only became stronger as he observed her words and actions. And she was a smuggler! Thief though he was, at least Xeinth was sometimes almost likeable in his own way. But it did not take long before Kand thought of Erethien as nothing more than a common criminal with an ego problem. I wonder what she smuggles. the Dwarf thought suspiciously, Maybe I would not want to know. But than again, you can judge no person by first impressions alone.

But there was another development that was starting to worry Kand far more than Erethien. It was becoming apparent to him that when Xeinth suggested that the company camp among the trees, the Elves took it to mean actually sleeping up in the branches! They were already hard at work up in the trees making some kind of sleeping platform that, from Kand‘s perspective, looked somewhat flimsy and unstable. “Strange.” The Dwarf muttered, “They are strange folk, no doubt about that.” A feeling in Kand’s stomach soon told him that there were more important things for him to attend to than watching the Elves weave their flet, or whatever that platform was called. He had a good supply of dried meat in his pack, and with a few herbs and edible plants that he could see growing around the campsite, it would make a good soup. Kand set to work gathering some reasonably dry wood. The task proved a bit harder than he had expected, as almost everything was still wet from the recent rainfall. After some time he had found enough for cooking and opened his tinder box to strike a light. The first few sparks fizzled out, but others caught hold and a tiny flame licked up. Kand blew on it slowly, carefully nursing the fire until it was hot enough to start burning into the damp wood. Satisfied, the Dwarf looked up from his work just in time to see Nellas turning toward him.

Nellas frowned, then approached Kand. "Erm, Kand? We're making flets to sleep in tonight..." the dark-haired dwarf stood up and eyed the flet-crowned tree.

"I know its not what you would usually camp in," continued the elf-maid, "But you might like it if you try, and its the safest place to stay for the night." She gestured at the flet. "Well, what do you think?"

“What do I think?” Kand stared doubtfully up a the tree. Somehow it looked even higher than before, and he noticed for the first time that it swayed in the wind. “What do I think?” the Dwarf repeated, “Well, maybe light-footed Elves would have no problems with such quarters, but I would never feel comfortable up there.” Kand paused. It looks about as safe as camping out with a whole Goblin war-horde! he thought silently. “Besides,” he continued, “Someone has to guard those horses. We might be all safe up there for one night, but if Orcs or wild beasts spooked the horses, why then we would be footloose in strange and open country.” I could never sleep a wink up in that thing. Kand considered as he paused again, So if I‘d be awake all night anyway, then I might as well be doing some useful guard duty. Kand bowed slightly in Dwarven fashion. “Thank you for the kind offer, Nellas.” he said politely, “But I feel safe enough with a good axe at my side, and solid ground under my feet.”
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 07:08
Nellas sighed. "Well, suite yourself." Truth be told, she had a growing feeling that Kand would be safer on the ground, anyway.

Xenith now approached her, a puzzled expression on his face.
"Its a flet," she said cheerfully. "A....small platform in the branches that we elves use to sleep in. Quite easy to construct and take down. And it will keep us safe..." But she faltered as the look on Xenith's face told her she was getting nowhere.

"I'm sorry, lovey, but all ye pretty talks and looks won't drive this one up a tree to sleep. I'll stay down here on the hard ground. With the Dwarf."

Nellas's face flushed. She was grateful when Bronwe, calm and aloof as usual, stepped forward and tried to reason with him. "But Xenith, if you would but listen. These flets are much safer than -"

"Not to me they don't be. I don't be seein' why ye wasted all ye time for such pretty archi- archae--archa--"

"Architecture?" Nellas offered.

"Yes, that. I don't see why ye wasted time on it when we're leaving early in the mornin'. Ai...silly females...ye can just leave me to the bears, if ye'd like!"

"Very well!" Nellas said a little too forcefully. "Stay down here, though I doubt even the bears would want you for a meal." She stalked off. Sitting down beside Kand, she moodily poked at the fire with a stick, then ceased when she only succeeded in smothering the small flame and causing Kand to give her a rather disgrunted look under his bushy eyebrows.

She stood up and walked over to where all their horses stood. She stroked her horse's nose affectionately and glanced over at Atma for no particular reason. The little girl saw her glance and gave her an angry scowl before turned away. Nellas sighed and leaned against her horse. "Ai, mellon. Can't I do anything right today?"
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 11:34
((Sorry, bit of a rubbish post. I be pushed for time.))

"Ai, mellon. Can't I do anything right today?"

"Ah, I know the feeling," said Halhigil with a wry smile. "I think everyone seems to either be on edge or tactless tonight. Sometimes it goes like that." He sucked a splinter out of his thumb, looking at the tree thoughtfully. "What you certainly do right is buld a flet, though, I'll say that much. That only took you and Bronwe about -- what, ten minutes? That's a damn fast build." Halhigil studied the flet for a moment, considering. "You're from Lorien?" he guessed. "Doesn't look like a Mirkwood construction."

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 01:09
Quite insulted at Xeinth's remarks, Bronwe stalked off to see to the horses, cleaning out their hooves and giving each animal a thorough rubdown. At least *horses* didn't turn on those who tried to help them.

Yes, Xeinth could go to the bears. She couldn't blame the dwarf because that was the way dwarves were, but Xeinth... One day, she mused. One day...

[OOC: Sorry for short post, but there really wasn't much I could do.]
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 04:27
"What you certainly do right is buld a flet, though, I'll say that much. That only took you and Bronwe about -- what, ten minutes? That's a damn fast build." Nellas smiled, feeling slightly better at this compliment.

"You're from Lorien?" he guessed. "Doesn't look like a Mirkwood construction."

Nellas looked up at him, silently for a moment. "You guessed right," she said after a pause, stroking her horse's neck. "I am...well, I was from Lorien. I left it long ago. But I grew up in the city of Caras Galadhon. I learned everything I know there, among the people of the Golden Wood. I suppose our ways differ somewhat from our Northern cousins'." She smiled as she gave her horse a parting pat and she and Halhigil walked back to the fire.

The sky was quite dark now, and a few bright stars had already appeared. Kand had something cooking over the fire that smelled good, and some members of the group were seated around the small fire. Nellas wasn't particularly tired, but she was hungry. She walked over and took a seat beside Cerdwin.

[Edited on 3/9/2005 by NellasTaralom]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2005 10:44
((I feel vindictive, so methinks that a certain person will be in a towering fury by the end of the night. Bruising may possibly ensue. Bwaha. I love driving up my characters' blood pressure...:evil: Er, yeah. Ahem.))

After a moment, Halhigil shifted restlessly and rose to his feet. He muttered something vague about seeing if he could find something, before striding off into the trees. He didn't often lose his temper, but he knew he was going to if someone said the wrong thing while he still felt on edge. And if Xenith thought that Halhigil had been angry earlier, well... When Halhigil really lost his temper, things tended to get very nasty very quickly.

'And most of all,' he thought as he walked through the trees on silent feet, 'Most of all, I'll need to stay well away from Erethien.' The elleth had a genius for saying the wrong thing, quite deliberately most of the time. Halhigil scowled, well aware that Erethien simply found it entertaining to see cool people truly incensed. "She finds far too many things entertaining," he said aloud. "Why does she not do something useful with her life?" he wondered out loud.

He glanced to his left, and saw Xenith and Atma gathering wood together. Halhigil sighed and kept walking. He needed to be on his own for a while. He owed Xenith an apology, but those were things best delivered when he was feeling a little less... volatile. 'Is this what it is like, being Erethien?' he wondered.

Erethien did not sit with the group around the fire -- rather, she perched on a branch opposite them, some ten feet above their heads. One long leg dangled carelessly over the edge as Erethien watched their faces. The dwarf seemed to be making something to eat, and another elleth -- whose name Erethien did not know -- sat watching him. Nellas was beside them -- she looked rather more mollified than she had a little earlier, but still a little on edge.

And talking about on edge... Erethien grinned, and her eyes glittered in the glow of the flames. Halhigil's expression was not nearly so black as it had been before, but Erethien could feel the irritation coming off him in almost palpable waves. Halhigil had always been useless at hiding his feelings when annoyed. Presently he leapt to his feet and stalked off abruptly, muttering something incomprehensible. Erethien rubbed her chin thoughtfully, trying to decide whether she should follow him. Erethien was not afraid of Halhigil, and he was not afraid of her. But he did tend to be quite a frightening person when furious. Halhigil was easily provoked in this mood, and she didn't care for the idea of his large hands linking around her neck.

On the other hand, he made her laugh when he was annoyed. He made her laugh when he felt at ease, too, but that hardly seemed likely considering the circumstances. Halhigil wasn't amusing when he was feeling stressed or shy. "Hmm," she said. Not many people made Erethien laugh; she knew to take her amusement where she could. The elleth jumped lightly from the tree, and followed Halhigil's path into the trees.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 11:35
((Sorry, that was an awful post for keeping a thread going! Lol. My apologies.))

Erethien watched from above, standing easily on a branch high above the ground. Below her, Halhigil was pacing. Some people, Erethien reflected, shouted when frustrated -- some grew snappish, some even cried. Halhigil paced. "Round and round and round," she said presently. "For goodness' sake, Halhigil! What's really bothering you?"

Halhigil looked up sharply and scowled. "Go away."

"Why are you like this?" Erethien persisted, interested against her will. "You're not usually so preoccupied."

"If I wanted to talk about it -- to you of all folk -- then I would," he snapped. "Go away, before I do something I might later regret!" He resumed his circles.

Erethien toyed with the idea of persisting, but abandoned it as unproductive. Much more interesting to work on him slowly. "Suit yourself," she said lightly, and walked off through the branches, surefooted and quite at ease so high above the ground. Elves did not fall out of trees -- not even Erethien. Not unless they were pushed.

It took only a few minutes before she was back at the rough camp. Erethien eyed the newly-built flet with grudging admiration; it was solidly constructed. Just because in human terms, she was likely the youngest adult here, didn't mean she wasn't critical. She wondered why Kand and Xenith were so set against it; it was hardly dangerous!

Xenith... Erethien watched him from the tree as he stalked around on the ground. He seemed irritated about something. 'Not the only one,' she thought with a grin. "I know you," she muttered to herself. "Damn it, where do I know you from?" She drummed her fingers on her knee as she sifted through her fairly recent memories.

"Hah!" she cried a moment later. "I know where I know you from, Xenith!" She ignored the startled glances which were thrown her way from various directions; she was used to it. "It was in that village!" Suddenly, it occurred to her that she should probably pick her words carefully. "It was an... interesting deal. You were the middleman, I believe." Erethien smiled, pleased to have remembered at last. "I had short hair then. It was... what, five years ago?" She glanced at him for confirmation; Erethien's memory for dates was unreliable at best.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 10:52
(where did everyone go? I shouldn't be talking, I haven't posted in months either. But I really don't want this too die out. Does anyone else want to continue the thread?)
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 12:32
I'm still here to all intents and purposes.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2005 04:32
I'm still here! I do quite like this thread...
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 11:39
Well, I'm going to be away for a week or so, and such, I suspect, is the case with others. But if we could get it going again in the New Year, it'd be fantastic. I know it's been dormant for quite a while, but I agree with Nellas -- it's too good just to let it drop! It's not easy to get such a weird collection of characters together. Might not happen again. Oh, come on, guys. We can pick this up if we try! Lol.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 10:23
I haven't been able to log on for a long time...now i can, for some reason. but yeah, i think its time we got it started again, if we can.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 10:39
Nellas stirred at the first sign of light. To her left, someone was sleeping, their breath coming at even intervals. In the dim light, she could see that whoever she was had her hood over her face, so she wasn't sure which of her companions it was. Nellas recalled from the previous night that Atma had flatly refused to sleep up in the flet. Feeling an urgent desire to check on Atma, she stood up, stretched, then lightly leapt down to the ground.

Kand, Xenith and Atma had spent the night on the ground, and Nellas had no idea where Erethien had gone. She walked over to one sleeping formed wrapped in its cloak and could tell by the snoring that it was Kand. A few feet away was Xenith, lying spread-eagle fashion with his hand clutching his sword hilt. But where was Atma? Nellas panned the surrounding area with her eyes and listening intently.

"Ugh," she pulled her cloak tightly around her shoulders, because it was a chilly morning. "She's probably run off...or she might just be sleeping behind a bush...." shaking her head, she stooped down and kindled the fire, wondering what course of action to take.

[Edited on 19/2/2006 by NellasTaralom]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2006 12:21
((I really am sorry that I haven't got around to posting yet. I know, I'm a terrible example, but come on, people... we CAN pick this up...))

Erethien jumped violently when she heard Halhigil's voice from bheind her. She hadn't even seen him return to the camp.

"To be honest, Nellas, I shouldn't worry," he said quietly, so as not to wake the others. "She's looked after herself for anything between thirteen and sixteen years... I am an ill guesser when it comes to human ages, but I doubt she will have run into any trouble. And if she has, we will hear about it soon enough." He smiled. "Oh, and good morning."

Erethien looked round. He was perched on a branch above her. "Where did you come from?" she asked almost accusingly, keeping her voice down.

Halhigil grinned briefly. "Thin air." He dropped to the ground silently, rubbed Sirdhail's nose briefly, and began digging through his small pack to see if there was anything he could contribute towards breakfast besides waybread, which he preferred to save for when there was nothing else. He hummed quietly under his breath.

Erethien raised an eyebrow. "You're in a good mood this morning."

Halhigil smiled brightly. "Something terrible is going to happen, there is nothing I can do to prevent it, and so I may as well stop worrying about it until it actually happens." He delved back into his pack.

"Ever the optimist. What makes you say that?"

"You're here." He threw an apple at her, which Erethien caught deftly.

"Oh, many thanks."

"Come now." Halhigil eyed her with a return to his customary dry cynicism. "The correlation between you and trouble is too strong for there not to be a link."

"The what?" Erethien shook her head as he opened his mouth to reply. "If it's mathematics, I don't want to know. Are you still annoyed with me?"

"Yes."

Erethien smiled impishly. "Why?"

"You know very well why." Halhigil turned to Nellas, who was sitting by the fire, and guessed her thoughts. "She'll turn up, Nellas, likely enough."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited for language
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator

[Edited on 11/3/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 03:05
[OOC: Who's still here, and who, if anyone, is getting written out of the story?]

Bronwe was up as usual with the first rays of weak sunlight that broke through the tree cover, and her top priority was to satisfy herself that all her horses were still there. That done, she resumed her original perch in the low flet and watched, not without some amusement, the others in their strange group in varied states of slumber and awakening. It was a rather grey morning.

On the other side of the small temporary platform Nellas leapt lightly onto the ground and instantly begin looking for something. Or someone, if her soft muttering was anything to go by.

"Ugh," she pulled her cloak tightly around her shoulders, because it was a chilly morning. "She's probably run off...or she might just be sleeping behind a bush...." shaking her head, she stooped down and kindled the fire, wondering what course of action to take.

Was it just her, or was Nellas more... interested in the girl than would be normal for a group of travellers who had just had a chance meeting one dark and stormy night? The other elleeth's subtle protectiveness for Atma bordered on the motherly, and Bronwe found it strange Nellas could have grown so attached to such a little ragamuffin as the child in the short time since they had met.

Then Halhigil's voice floated down from the upper reaches of the gnarled old tree. She actually felt the flet shake as Halhigil's... well... *lady friend* reacted violently, moving from a sleeping position to one of utter fearful alertness within milliseconds.

"To be honest, Nellas, I shouldn't worry," he said quietly, so as not to wake the others. "She's looked after herself for anything between thirteen and sixteen years... I am an ill guesser when it comes to human ages, but I doubt she will have run into any trouble. And if she has, we will hear about it soon enough." He smiled. "Oh, and good morning."

Even the proverbial old married couple could not bicker as much as Halhigil and Erethien! The moment each discovered the other was awake, it seemed, they were off again, and from their familiar contempt Bronwe could guess they had been like that for *quite* some time. Leaving Erethien in the flet to argue all she wanted, Bronwe returned to the ground. The fire was somewhat welcome in the chill of early morning, and she settled down opposite to Nellas, savouring the warmth and enjoying the patterns made by the dancing flames and curling smoke tendrils...

"She's bound to show up sooner or later, trouble or no trouble." she murmered, allowing herself to be mesmerised by the hypnotic movements. Really, on a morning as grey and watery as this one, she did not want to have to think about anything. It was the type of morning perfect for just sitting by a small fire and... stoning, as she was doing now. The flames warmed her, and yet at her back there were still hints of the sharp, crisp morning air. It had not gotten so warm yet that the dew clinging to herself and the surrounding foilage would evaporate yet, and she could watch the timid rays of light filtering through the droplets, forming tiny rainbows... Bronwe was getting quite distracted.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email