Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Commentaries
on: November 16, 2002 03:50
Commentaries are a new phenomonen to me, having only previously had video. What a massive bonus!

We have to be particularly satisfied, I think, with JRD's appreciation of his audience as 'intelligent'. Why, thank you, John! :blush:

Also, it helped to answer those awkward questions like, 'Did OB really fire that long volley of arrows?'. Answer, yes (well, ish!). Impressed!

What did everyone else think?
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post RE: The Commentaries
on: November 16, 2002 09:16
I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but I'm looking forward to it! Have you listened to both the director's commentary and the actors'? Which would you recommend listening to first?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: November 16, 2002 10:53
I LOVED the commentaries! much of it was soo funny, and realy made me laugh! I almost fainted when I heard Elijah...
athelas22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2002 05:34
I liked the actor's commentaries just because they told a lot of funny stories about things that were happening while they were filming it. THe director's commentary was more straightforward and informative but not as fun.

So did OB really shoot those arrows or not? All the hobbits were all talking at once and it's hard to understand what they are saying at that point. I got the impression that he was really shooting arrows. Sean says they were CG but I thought he was saying it sarcastically (he was ragging on Orli at the time and letting out pent out frustrations and jealousy against him). Can anyone tell if Sean is telling the truth or being funny?

I also love Legolas' lembas commercial.
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: November 16, 2002 10:51
Okay...Dominic Monaghan's story about how Merry really solved the riddle was great. And how he was talking about going up to the heads of the shoot and them saying 'we want more of elijah and less of you.' was great...

And I LOVED when Sean Astin and the Hobbits started talking about how jealous they are of Orlando Bloom. That was a high point of my day...

JRD was rather...wordy though. Took a long time for him to shut up once he started talking. but that's alright, as he usually tells something pretty interesting, he just...puts too many words into it though.
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 08:34
This is the first DVD I've ever watched that came with commentaries I actually enjoy listening to. :love: The design crew's commentaries are my favorite: Richard Taylor always seems so excited about everything.

I never knew Alan Lee was one of the nine kings in the prologue until I listened to it.
Tookishbliss
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 10:16
Just about all the commentaries from Billy, Dom, Elijah and Sean were great.

I think my favorite was Billy, Dom and Sean explaining how they got Elijah to play a game they had just made up for no reason, called Teg(or was it Tig?). And how for a year after that, Elijah still believed it was a real game because they forgot to tell him it was fake! lol

Dom--"No elijah you can't tig on a tag, you can't tog in a tig, if you wanna teg Billy you have to do an elephant impersonation, if Billy tegs you you have to get on your knees and pull down your trousers."

Agh, that was just hillarious...
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 01:40
So did OB really shoot those arrows or not?

Well, me and my other half (who isn't a LotR fan but loves all the effects/costume/tech stuff) spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure this out, before it dawned on me that running the commentaries might help :dizzy:

Visually, our decision (after running the film at half-speed, etc), is that OB goes through the motions of shooting the arrows. So, the aiming, drawing of the bow, etc is all 'him'. It looks, though, as if the arrows may have been inserted afterwards. Which still leaves this as a beautifully choreographed piece and really underlines Legolas' skill with a bow. The whole sequence of movements is exactly how I imagined Legolas to move. Swift, precise, deadly. I'm glad they extended it for the DVD

I'll run the rest of the commentaries over the next couple of days, to see if OB really is worthy of such a high opinion
xplastikonox
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 03:50

I think my favorite was Billy, Dom and Sean explaining how they got Elijah to play a game they had just made up for no reason, called Teg(or was it Tig?).

I've been trying to figure out which one it is, Teg or Tig. With Dom's accent, it was hard to tell. But then, does it really matter?
athelas22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 07:37
I've been trying to figure out which one it is, Teg or Tig. With Dom's accent, it was hard to tell

I think he's really just saying Tag. I'm figuring (not trying to be an ignorant American) that little Scottish kids play tag just like in America and this was just a funny joke version of the same game. I mean they did start out tagging each other, right?

So did OB really shoot those arrows or not?

So after listening again to the commentaries it now sounds like the arrows really were CG. ELijah says something to the effect "I was just trying to make him (OB) look good" and all the other hobbits were like "ooh! like he needs help with that! can he he really look any better!!!??"

I also must say that Dom does really great impressions! I love it when he was impersonating the little Indian guy who's Sam's double (Yes! I very much like red wine!) and I LOVED his John Rhy-Davies impression (Indy! We are digging in the wrong place! Asps! Very dangerous - you go first!) ROTFL!
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 07:58
I also must say that Dom does really great impressions

He does! The little indian man is the best, "Get in car! Get in car!", ordering around Viggo, I gotta see that LOL.
athelas22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2002 04:49
Well listening to the cast commentary again I realized that Dom does not do the John Rhys-Davies impressions. The one where he's making fun of Indiana Jones was Sean Astin (very funny Sean!). Also the other one I liked was where they were making fun of JRD not remembering his dwarvish. I thought that was Dom too, but now i realize that it was Orlando (looks and a sense of humor, please catch me as a faint away)
Trignifty
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 09:33
one JRD impression that Dom *does* do, that's absolutely fantastic is the:

"How many of you are coming towards me?"
uhm...six...
"Who's first?"
uhm...I am...
"Okay, you come at me, and I'll hit you with my ax and then you come and I'll hit you and then you come and I'll hit you...."

I also LOVED his impressions of BK...

*"'I took his bishop and he tried to take my king and I TAKE his King!' And then he'd run around and laugh and stuff..."

*"Get in Car! Get in Car!"

*"Cook rice, and bring me collander and give me fork and give me knife!"

Gah...was great...GREAT...
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 12:26
** Mhairi raises her hand **

I want to be added to the list of people who think DM was the most entertaining in interview.

More partridge anyone?
Trignifty
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 10:07
Do you have partridge?
Bring the partridge!

Gah...DM was hilarious...followed closely by BK...but that was unintentional, of course...

Viggo Mortensen thinks that he's very very funny...agree, I do not.
striders_ghirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2002 12:29

I think my favorite was Billy, Dom and Sean explaining how they got Elijah to play a game they had just made up for no reason, called Teg(or was it Tig?).

I've been trying to figure out which one it is, Teg or Tig. With Dom's accent, it was hard to tell. But then, does it really matter?

we call it tig
Monica
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2002 07:31
HI , well the funniest???, I go for all the Hobbits , all of them made a great job with this commentary, I have to say I loved the story of how Orlando :blush: and Billy :heart: found each other in the airport, also the chat about the little hobbits that are in fact PJ childs!!!, they are so cute!!!, also when they were talking about Elijah's eyes!!!, beautiful eyes, and his contacts , also about Sean A's little girl, and his comment about his scene with the plant in the beggining.
I have to say that even if it was great I missed Viggo!! :love: I mean he was a big part of the movie and he wasn't there!!, also even if I totally love Ian Mckellen don't you think he got a lot of time????, there where scenes when I was expecting Sean B. or JRD, but he appeard, and well don't you love Christopher lee's voice!! wow .
I also wish they would have been all together while filming this one, it was obvious that OB, Sean B. JRD, Ian M. and CL were in different places , I guess that even like this we missed a lot of jokes, but anyway it was awesome, I'm happy I got the chance to see this DVD!!!! .
Be well and take care
Monica
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2002 05:04
I finally watched it today. I didn't find myself bored one bit. The hobbits are the greatest, I couldn't stop laughing. Especially when they are talking about how the hobbits are actually made of feathers, and something about how people would be like "How would a bunch of feathers carry the ring?" LOL That was great.

Dom and Billy seem to be fascinated by Elf ladies. Like when Dom was saying that Merry and Pippin were their sugar daddies in Rivendell, and there would be a scene with crying pregnant elf ladies holding their tummy. LOL And about how they tried so hard to kiss them.

About the fictitious game, it IS named "Tig", someone mentions in the background. I forgot who but they say "It's like tag but it's called tig." With Billy's accent it sounds like "Teg" but it's "Tig". "You can't tig a tog!" I love it lol. I can't believe Elijah fell for that. I would have realized after a few minutes. He kept referring to it as 'the lie'.

I wonder where I can purchase this 'official cup cup' for the paper cup game lol.
Tookishbliss
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2002 08:41
dominicmonaghan'scrazygames.com lol

oh and it was Sean, "Slightly different from tag" he said.
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 11:43
Darn...it's not a real site lol.
Simbrie_Nytesky
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 04:57
Yus, OB rilly did fire those arrows. Sean was just joking about the arrows being CG. ^^ Lol, and yus JRD rilly was wordy...but I found it extremly funny about OB and JRD's boat accident...nwee. and Dom ish a great impressionist!! I love this dvd....and it's the first dvd I've actually bought! whee!
Iarlachien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 05:35
Darn...it's not a real site lol.

Disappointment... I've already tried.
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 01:47
I've seen the actors commintary
TIG!
i love that part. I was thinking of watching the other ones but i haven't have time....
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 02:51
Ok, I guess I need to put my two cents in. I LOVED the parts with Orli in them. I LOVED the fact he was so relaxed and LOVE his voice!
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 03:05
Anyone else notice that a lot of the younger members of the cast seem to use the word 'brilliant' like no tomorrow? Not just in the commentaries I might add...
Trignifty
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 07:41
Brilliant...and Elijah Wood in particular likes to use the word 'fantastic'. and he just...adopted so many words not usually used in the states, presumably from the long shoot...but it was great...'brilliant! Fantastic!'
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 11:21
he just...adopted so many words not usually used in the states

Yes! I also took notice of that. I've heard him use 'bloody' quite a bit.
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2002 06:57
Guess what I got people (got this myself mind you):

Concerning Tig

Elijah: All those days of playing cup.
Dom: Oh cup, fantastic game.
Sean: Cup was a fun game.
Billy: Cup by the way, is when you take a paper cup, (sean in backgroud: Dixie cup.),a dixie cup if you're american,
Dom: Or a paper cup if you speak english.
Billy: And um, you keep it up just by passing it to each other, which sounds quite boring, but if your waiting for a helicopter for 4 hours, it becomes the main way that you pass the day.
Dom: I would just like to say that it is an original Dominic Monaghan game, available online at my website, and uh, you can use different cups, but if you want you can log on to my website and get an official cup cup.
Billy: DominicMonaghanscrazygames.com
Dom: Another game called nudge, which Billy is a huge fan of, so if anyone wants me to get involved with game making, I'm uh, available.
Elijah: Speaking of game making, what was the name of the fake game that ya'll tried to get me into?

Dom: Oh Tig...Tig...um Tag.
Elijah: Tig
Sean: Tig
Elijah: Oh my God...
Sean: That was good.
Billy: And and Tig, was uh, when we were filming weathertop and myself and Dom just started tagging each other, you know, touching each other going 'tig...tig.." just like for no reason, and then Sean came over,
Sean: Slightly different from tag.
Billy: And he came over and started doing it as well, tig, and then we'd say 'tig tig, tig tag', like for no reason.
Dom: Tog tig.
Billy: And ah, and then Elijah came over and said, "What you guys doing?", I said "Ah, we're playing a game called tig." He says, "How do you play?" And we spent like the next 2 hours making up rules.
Elijah: And trying to teach me, but ofcourse I was getting everything wrong cause they were making it up as they went along.
Sean: He couldn't follow the game and the three of us were ever frustrated that he wasn't following these new rules that we would continuedly make up.
Dom: So we would play, the three of us were constantly getting it right, every time Elijah tried a new way of tigging someone we'd say "Elijah no! You can't tig on a tog, you can't tag on a tig, you have to do an Elephant impression if your gonna tig Billy, if Billy's gonna tig you back you have to get on your knees, and take your trousers down."
Billy: How many times Elijah, you can't double tig a tog! You know..
Dom: And for like three weeks he was saying how much he enjoyed playing tig and uh..
Sean: He wanted to get the rule book.
Billy: But do you remember we forgot to say that it was a windup(?) and it was like a year later he's like "Why do we never play tig?"
Elijah: And then they finally let the cat outta the bag.
Dom: The cat was outta the bag.
Elijah: My whole world came shattering down on me, when they told me that that was a lie, cause I, for a whole year, I believed that that was a real game and then they told me and I..
Dom: Sorry Elijah.
Billy: Sorry Elijah.
Elijah: What, what else was not true? That's what I was asking.
Sean: It undermines the integrity of the entire relationship , I agree.
Dom: That's right.
Elijah: That's , that's what I think.
Dom: It was part of the whole bonding experience.
Billy: Although, me and Dom are actually just lies.
Dom: Yeah , big bag of lies.
Sean: Not that big a bag.

Billy: Now you have to remember that in between these shots, you have to remember, we were trying to teach Elijah how to play tig.
Elijah: Yeah tig...........keep that in mind..................................the lie!

Concerning feathered hobbits

Dom: They're probably saying to each other "Oh, the hobbits are just pillows! They're just pillows!" Who'd of thought it.
Billy: They become feathers when you stab them!
Dom: How can he carry a ring if he's just made of feathers??
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2002 07:05
*Cackles(Sp?) uncontrolobly(like Keran!!!!)

Thats great!!
Fantastic!

~~~~Tig~~~~

[Edited on 30/11/2002 by Solaris]
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2002 07:19
Tig
Tag
Tog
Tig Tig
Tig tag
Tig Tog
Tag Tig
Tag Tag
Tag Tog
Tog Tig
Tog Tag
Tog Tog

I'm not sure if there were more
perhaps
Tug, or Teg

went onto dominicmonaghanscrazygames.com

dont work...just thought i'd put that there....

~~~~Tig~~~~
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 02:18
Hmm there is no 'Tug' or 'Teg' though.
You can add ones with three like:

Tig tig tag
tag tag tog etc..
But you can't double tig a tog...and you can't tig on a tog, unless you're ready for consequences. Tog is special I guess, gets you extra points? lol I dunno.

My brother actually started tigging me and we began to play, and I'll tell you, it was actually fun lol. I'm gonna make up some more rules.
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 05:18
lol

its fun!

I played Cup today

tehe
thats a fun game!
Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2003 10:47
I loved it, I loved it, I loved it! The hobbits were brilliant. I loved hearing about cup and tig and all other the hobbit antics… especially when they said about Sean A directing helicopters. Hilarious!

I was disappointed that Viggo :love: didn't do any commentary but I suppose the hobbits and Orlando being in such awe of absolutely everything made up for it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2003 06:27
I loved watching the cast comentaries!

And I LOVED when Sean Astin and the Hobbits started talking about how jealous they are of Orlando Bloom.

Yea "A source of great annoyance to me" (Sean Astin)

I also must say that Dom does really great impressions! I love it when he was impersonating the little Indian guy who's Sam's double (Yes! I very much like red wine!) and I LOVED his John Rhy-Davies impression (Indy! We are digging in the wrong place! Asps! Very dangerous - you go first!) ROTFL

I loved watching or in this case listening to Dom's impressions (and occasionally the other cast members) They where all so funny!
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 07:56

Concerning Tig

Elijah: All those days of playing cup.
Dom: Oh cup, fantastic game.
Sean: Cup was a fun game.
Billy: Cup by the way, is when you take a paper cup, (sean in backgroud: Dixie cup.),a dixie cup if you're american,
Dom: Or a paper cup if you speak english.

Billy: How many times Elijah, you can't double tig a tog! You know..
Dom: And for like three weeks he was saying how much he enjoyed playing tig and uh..
Sean: He wanted to get the rule book.
Billy: But do you remember we forgot to say that it was a windup(?) and it was like a year later he's like "Why do we never play tig?"
Elijah: And then they finally let the cat outta the bag.
Dom: The cat was outta the bag.
Elijah: My whole world came shattering down on me, when they told me that that was a lie, cause I, for a whole year, I believed that that was a real game and then they told me and I..
Dom: Sorry Elijah.
Billy: Sorry Elijah.

The hobbits just rule at commentaries! esp. Dom, very funny!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email