Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: A Love That Binds
on: April 12, 2005 12:41
"Are you sure?" he persisted. He did not want to force his wife to do anything she did not desire. She was probably just as scared as he was. "How about this, I'll wait for your answer at midday, and if by then you still desire to stay, then we will." Though he would greatly desire to go home. "It is still early, so let us enjoy the feast." And with that, he seated his wife next to him and began to eat.

After a moment he turned to his sister. "Aaliyah, I must thank you for making this exquisite tunic. You've come a long way in your sewing skills."

At that moment, a loud braying was heard, followed by a crash and shouts. Suddenly, one of his father's hunting dog's came bounding into the hall, jumped on the table, and ran over the food. The odd thing was, he was carrying a pair of shoes...

(OOC: Oh, we're at two pages already! I know we haven't mentioned any dogs, but I imagine that since Maethor's nobility tat he would have a couple of hunting dog's around, and shoes don't just get up and walk away so...)
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 08:15
((Reminisce of the hound and the hart upsetting the great wedding feast of Arthur and Guineveire))

Aaliyah was about to thank Berior for his compliment on her embroidery, but a loud braying sound, followed by several crashes, cut her off.

"Oh, Percival!" Aaliyah moaned when she saw what, or rather who, had caused the ruckus, "You know better then that!"

Percival looked at Aaliyah and wagged his tail happily, then trotted over to deposit a pair of shoes at her feet.

"Why do you bring things to me?" she asked him, scratching his ears, "I don't even like you! Who's shoes are these, anyway?"
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 10:02
Berior turned to Rícellen with an amused expression. "Somehow, those shoes look familiar," he teased, but in a low voice that only she could hear. Then he turned to Aaliyah. "It seems you have an admirer dear sister," he said with a laugh.

[Edited on 14/4/2005 by Lady_Tolwen]
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 06:00
"I insist that I do not know what you are talking about," Rícellen whispered back, a hint of laughter in her voice. She shifted her skirt again so that her feet were well covered and wondered what would happen when they found the shoes were hers.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 10:38
"Really? I could have sworn that just a few minutes before I saw some bare feet milling about the place," he replied. He sobered a little. "You do not have to fear the reactions of others. Everyone here finds amusement in mishaps such as these and I find them delightful. And if anyone dares ridicule my bride he will have to answer to me." He smiled at her, hoping he had releived some of her fears.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 11:56
"I was never afraid that they would ridicule me, only your choice of a bride," Rícellen said, not willing to admit that she did fear what they thought of her.
Standing up, she took the shoes from Aaliyah's lap and then faced the dog. With a mock serious tone, she said, "I thank you, sir dog, for brining me my shoes, although I fear I have no way to repay you."
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2005 08:24
"I was never afraid that they would ridicule me, only your choice of a bride," Rícellen said.

While the embarrassed girl went to retrieve her shoes from the wayward dog, Berior sat back smiling. She was certainly brave, he would give her that. He just hoped that overexcited aunt of hers wouldn't give her too much trouble.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 06:35
When Rícellen had taken her seat once again to a rippling laughter throughout the hall, her aunt appeared by her side.

"Are you trying to make a bad name for yourself?" she whispered harshly.
"They all thought it was funny," Rícellen answered smoothly. "It was not like I planned for the dog to steal my shoes, he just did. But I'm glad he returned them."
"You mustn't do su-"
"Auntie," Rícellen interrupted. "I'm married now. I don't need your advice any longer. Kindly return to your seat."

With a huff, her aunt did just that. Her father, seated only a few seats down from her, had watched the whole scene with a smile on his face.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 11:42
"Good show my dear," Berior said after Rícellen had politely but firmly put her aunt in her place. She probably meant well, but went about the wrong way. Berior reached for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. He would have kissed her cheek, but he did not know how she would react to that gesture.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2005 02:42
"I've been waiting so long to tell her that," Rícellen said. In the short silence that ensued, with Berior still holding her hand, her face went a fine shade of red. Pulling her hand away a little too quickly, she blurted out the first thing that came to her mind to change the subject.
"I had better go get my things together if we are leaving today." It wasn't until she had said it that she remembered he had given her the option of staying.
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 10:19
Aaliyah felt dreadful. Purely, completely awful. What shall I do? she wondered miserably, I feel so selfish and cowardly! I will never have to marry a man I don't really know, the day after I meet him!

Aaliyah buried her face in her hands. Her thoughts and emotions had whirled her in a game wild enough to make her stomach ache. Berior doesn't deserve this! she thought fiercly, No one does!

Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 12:04
"Yes...yes, of course, if that's what you want," he stammered. Berior was slightly embarrassed and confused. He did not want to scare her, and yet that's what he ended up doing anyway. But at least she decided to leave with him, so maybe a small part of her liked him. She just needs time to adjust, he thought.

Berior glanced at his sister and she did not look well. In an instant he was by her side. "Allie? are you alright? You are not ill, are you?"
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 01:20
Hearing Beriors concerned tone, Aaliyah busrt into tears. She pulled him aside, where they would not be overheard.

"Oh Berior," she whispered, "I feel so selfish! You had to marry that girl, who you barely know, the day after you met her! I heard Father discussing marriage with Thalion. He truly loves me, and I know father will let me marry him! Thalion is an esteemed healer, and can be a soldier in a time of need. He is valued by the Steward and all of Gondor for his skills. And I've known him forever."

"But do you love him?" Berior asked gently.

Aaliyah faltered. "As... as a friend," she said hesitantly, "But love will come... No, I don't truly love him. Oh, this makes me feel even worse! I love Aiden, a boy I know from Minas Tirith. He's... he's a thief for hire, really. A scoundrel. Father would never approve! But you have your own life to deal with; worry not about mine. I just feel like I'm being selfish... I don't want to be!"
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 01:46
Berior pulled his little sister into his arms. "Hush, Allie, don't cry," he soothed, "All will turn out well." He patted her hair. "Today is to be a day a great joy. Please don't cry on my wedding." Aaliyahs sobs soon lessened as she regained control.

"How well do you know him?" he asked. "Does he love you? I wouldn't mind so much if he was poor, but if he's a thief whose steals hearts as well as purses, then he'll just break your heart. And I will not stand to have my baby sister hurt. You are my sister first and foremost, and it is my duty to protect you." He lifted her chin so she would look him in the eye. "You are not selfish; you are young and in love. But dear, please use that common sense that the Valar gave to you."

(OOC: Well, that was unexpected! )

[Edited on 20/4/2005 by Lady_Tolwen]
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 12:30
Rícellen went to gather her things, a bit angry that she had agreed so quickly to leaving. But there will be a suprise waiting for me there, she remembered, and she smiled.

Shutting the door to her room behind her, she gathered the dresses she had brought and shoved them into her bag, not bothering to fold them. On top of them all, she put her shoes, still damp with dog-slobber. Good thing I brought my riding boots along too, she thought.

Finally, she was ready to leave. She went back to the hall to find only a few people hanging around. Berior was still in his seat at the table, talking to his sister. Without regard to their conversation, Rícellen called out, "Berior, I'm all ready to go!"
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 12:42
Without regard to their conversation, Rícellen called out, "Berior, I'm all ready to go!"

Berior jumped at the voice from across the hall. Apparently no one had told her that ladies do not shout in public places. He turned to his sister. "I'm afraid that I must go. But come visit me in a few days so we can discuss this without fearing which ears may hear." With that he went to leave with his wife. After saying hasty goodbyes, they were on their way to Dol Amroth.

They rode for several hours before they reached Berior's home by the sea. It was a little small, but large enough for a young couple and a few servants, and there was decent-sized stable to house a few horses. And the view of the sea was magnificent. "Well, what do you think, my dear? The beach is a wonderful place to go riding in the evenings, don't think? And I believe there's a surprise for you just a few minutes walk from here. Would you care to look?" he grinned mischieviously.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 12:59
Rícellen's eyes widened as she took in the scene before her. She had never never seen more than a small brook, and the ocean with it's pounding waves was a thing of great beauty to her.

She dismounted and led her horse towards the house where a servant came and to it to the stables, all the while with her eyes still on the sea.

"Well, what do you think, my dear? The beach is a wonderful place to go riding in the evenings, don't think? And I believe there's a surprise for you just a few minutes walk from here. Would you care to look?" he grinned mischieviously.

"It's...amazing," she said, finally turning her eyes away. "I can't imagine what could be more suprising than seeing the ocean for the first time."
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 07:53
Aaliyah giggled quietly. In their younger days, Berior had often done before thinking. She had told him to go find some common sense. Now he was telling her basically the same thing!

From across the hall, they could clearly hear Rícellen's voice. "Berior, I'm all ready to go!" she shouted to him. Aaliyah moaned, remebering all her lessons in etiquette. "Ladies never shout, if you want to get someones attention from across a room, gesture to them or go over to them" her instructors had said. Apparently Rícellen had never endured such lessons.

As Berior left, Aaliyah pondered his words. Aiden was a trickster, yes, and a good thief, but not sneaky enough to conceal one or more female lovers from the others. Mainly because females are usually smarter in such matters, and have a habit of meeting at times unfavorable to the male.

Aaliyah concealed another giggle, remebering the time Ysmyne and Caterina had crashed into each other, both planning to give a hug and kiss to Bereg.

"Aaliyah!" someone called to her, "You should leave soon to return home!" Home. It won't truly be 'home' without Berior, Aaliyah thought sadly, Maybe I should go and live permanantly in Minas Tirith. Minas Tirith already felt more like home, anyway, that's where she worked and studied. But to leave the ocean... Aaliyah shook her head, she would think on this later.

[Edited on 25/4/2005 by aelin~uial]
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 11:54
(OOC: Um, I hate to be picky, but Maethor has already left. At the moment, he's heading for Minas Tirith.Just letting you know. )

"It's...amazing," she said, finally turning her eyes away. "I can't imagine what could be more suprising than seeing the ocean for the first time."

Berior was pleased that Rícellen found the sea as beautiful as he did. It would be a shame if she didn't since his surprise revolved around it. He led her to a tiny bay that was sheltered by rock formations and hid his surprise.

"Surprise," he said softly waiting for her reaction. There, tied to a small dock, was a boat with the shape of a white horse and a sail with a horse running underneath a white swan. The wood was a dark red and trimmed in gold paint. It was the perfect size for a couple to go sailing in. "I thought you might like to view the sea the way I do," he said softly. "Do you like it?"
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 05:55
"It's gorgeous," Rícellen said. She ran down to the little dock to get a better look at the boat, her riding boots smacking hard against the wooden planks and her skirt gathered in her hand. "Did you build it yourself?" she asked, running a hand over the dark wood of the figurehead in awe as she studied the boat.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 11:36
"Yes, I did," Berior said, beaming with pride. It had taken him manny long months, but his hard work paid off as he saw his new bride tenderly running her hands over it. "It still needs a name. And then it needs to sail it's maiden voyage. Would you care to join me?" HE asked, and extended his hand .
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2005 05:00
"Oh, I couldn't just now," Rícellen said, turning away from him. She wasn't quite ready to face this man who was now her husband. "In fact, I'm quite tired. I think I'm going to go inside and take a nap, perhaps."

She walked up to the house where a servant led her to the room that had been prepared for her. There, she lay on the bed, staring at the wooden beams of the ceiling.

I know this is best for Father, but why did I have to get married? she thought. Berior is a good man, he is kind and thoughtful, but I do not love him. Not yet.

She rolled over on her side, pulling her legs up and resting her chin against her knees. I already miss being his little girl. Now I'm grown up and married. They will expect me to act like a woman. And I will disappoint them.

With these thoughts spinning in her head, she fell into a light and fitful sleep, still curled up on the bed.
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 11:56
Aaliyah heard her own voice echo in the empty house. Empty as her soul. The only world she had known had suddenly changed. No, that wasn't true, it had been slowly, steadily, changing ever since she began studying to become a healer.

Suddenly, Aaliyah felt very tired. She slowly walked to her bedroom, and, without changing, fell asleep upon the bed.

Aaliyah was sitting in a dark room, staring out the window.

Where am I? the sleeping-Aaliyah wondered.

A baby began crying, and the dream-Aaliyah hurried to attend to it.

Mine? sleeping-Aaliyah asked.

As dream-Aaliyah cradled the child, singing softly, someone else entered the room. He walked across the florr silently, to place a kiss upon dream-Aaliyah's cheek.

Dream-Aaliyah looked up, and sleeping-Aaliyah saw his face. Aiden.

Aaliyah awoke with a start. A vision? Or just a dream, awakened from what she desired?

Aaliyah rubbed her forehead. Well, whatever it was, it settled the matter on where to live. She would go to Minas Tirith. Aaliyah began packing.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 02:19
"Oh, I couldn't just now," Rícellen said, turning away from him.

Berior stood where he was as he watched Rícellen walk away from him. He was slightly sad and disappointed that his surprise didn't go as planned. She's just nervous. She'll warm up, he told himself.

He eventually went to his room, exhausted....and found Rícellen curled up in the middle of his bed. Smiling, he covered her with a blanket and fell asleep in a chair beside her.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 04:50
(ooc- I'm asuming that Aaliyah is still in the house where the ceremony was held. If she's not, just tell me and I'll edit my post. Just wanted to give her someone to talk to.)

Beadumód, Rícellen's father, walked down the hall towards his room. It was quiet in the house since the young couple and most of their guests had left. He was suprised to hear someone in one of the rooms. Knocking lightly, he opened it slightly to see Berior's sister, packing up her things.

"Hello," he said. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you, I was just curious to see who else was still here."
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 10:06
((Technically she wasn't, but it works better))

Aaliyah gave Beadumód a slight smile. "No," she said, "You did not disturb me. I was just preparing to leave." Aaliyah stopped speaking and whistled loudly. Percival bounded down the hall, toungue hanging out. Aaliyah scratched the exuberant dog's ears. Aaliyah suddenly blushed and looked up. "You..." Aaliyah flushed redder, "You won't tell on me, will you? Percival isn't very useful to Father anyway, and I'll be so lonely without him. I'm going to Minas Tirith, where I work."
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 12:20
Berior awoke with a jump. It took a moment for him to realize that he had been sleeping in a chair and reaped the consequences of a stiff neck for it. He slowly got up and stretched. Quietly, so he wouldn't wake Rícellen, he crept to and ajoining chamber to change his clothes.

When he walked back in the room, he could see the sun was just beginning to peek her rays through the window. Rícellen slowly rolled over in Berior's direction and gave a look of surprise when she saw him standing there.

"Good morning, my dear. I trust you've slept well," he said with a warmhearted grin.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 03:35
"I will not say a word," Beadumód said with a wink and the smile that so suited his face. " I will be headed out to see Berior and my daughter soon. If you would like me to give him a message, I will gladly do so."

-----

Rícellen blinked in the light a little, waiting for her eyes to adjust better. She realized she had fallen asleep in her dress, still a bit dirty from the ride.
"It was lovely to finally get some rest," she said. "Though I hadn't meant to sleep until morning. I missed the evening meal."
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 11:39
(OOC: Sorry it took so long to update. I've been under a lot of stress. )

"Well, I can have a bath prepared for you and then we can have a light morning meal together if you wish," Berior said. He turned to walk out of the room to give her privacy, and so Rícellen wouldn't see his smile fade. He was still a little disappointed that the evening didn't go as he had planned.But he hoped that she would soon warm up to him and trust him. Even if she never grew to love him, he would prefer to at least be friends. "After the meal," he ventured, "would you like to go riding on the beach?"
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 04:42
Rícellen pulled herself from the bed and stretched, working a bit of soreness from the ride out of her muscles.

"Yes, I think I could use a bath," her stomach growled, "and some food. But after that, a ride would be nice. I spent so much time at my aunt's house before the wedding that I didn't get to ride as much as I would like at all."

She reached for her bag, but found that the servants hand put her things in a large chest at the foot of the bed. Pulling out many dresses, she found what she was looking for beneath them: an old pair of pants that she wore for riding and a top as well. She sat them aside to change into later and pulled out a plain dress for the morning.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 07:00
Berior nodded at her consent and left her in peace. He called to a servant passing by. "Have my horse and the lady's horse prepared after the morning meal," he said. The man rushed to have his orders obeyed.

He sighed. He would probably send Aaliyah a letter later that day. At the rate things were progessing,Berior had the feeling he was going to have a lot of free time on his hands. He didn't blame Rícellen for being distant. After all, they had just met two days ago! But he longed to have a companion and desperately wanted to take his wife out on the sea. He hoped she would come to love as much as he did and prayed to the Valar that their marriage would turn out like Aldarion and Erendis back in the days of Numenor. He eventually went into the dining hall to wait for Rícellen.

VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 01:33
It didn't take Rícellen long to get ready after she found a clean dress. She brushed out her hair and decided to put it up so it wouldn't get in her face during the ride. Using a few pins, she tucked it up as best as she could. She realized that she stil wore the necklace she had been presented with at the wedding. She shrugged off the notion to take it off of her neck and hide it in the bottom of the chest of clothes.

With the help of a servant, she found her way to the dining hall where Berior was waiting. She quietly took a seat at the opposite end of the small table and studied the room around her.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 02:23
Berior was hurt that Rícellen sat on the opposite side of the room instead of by his side.She must not be comfortable around me, he thought. While she loked at her surroundings, it gave him a chance to study her. She still wore his mother's necklace, which pleased him. She was pretty, with her large brown eyes that gave an innocent looking quality to her that made him want to protect her from the evils of the world. Even though they had just met, he already had feelings for her. He would give her anything he had the power to give; she had only to ask.

"Do you like the room?" he asked suddenly. "Is everything to your liking? If you desire to redecorate anything, just tell me, and it shall be done." After a pause, he said quietly, "You have nothing to fear here, Rícellen. I know this is a strange place to you, and I'm new at this too. But I want you to be happy here. Is there anything I can do to make this place more comfortable?"
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 07:45
Rícellen laughed softly at his eagerness to please her.
"Everything is fine, really," she said, her eyes meeting his across the table. "I'm just getting used to not having my father around."
A servant placed a plate of food before her which she tucked into, pausing only to speak. "I'm not used to having servants either. It's a nice change from having to get up at dawn to start the morning meal."
She bit into a piece of bread hungrily.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 11:16
Berior mentally cursed himself. He sounded like a little schoolboy, instead of the man he had become. He took an apple and munched on it thoughtfully. He was amused at how eagerly Rícellen attacked her food. "Not hungry, are you?" he asked teasingly, before lapsing into a serious mood. Her family must not have had enough to eat, which might partly explain the hasty wedding.

"Even though we have servants, you are the new Lady of the house, and as such, there are some duties to perform, but we can discuss this later," he said. "We're supposed to be at our leisure for at least a week."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email