Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Liberal or Conservative?
on: April 02, 2013 05:59
Whoa, now that is cool. I don't know anything about the Federalist Party. What was their platform?

Legolas, to an extent conservative libertarians have to take some deep breaths and hand over a little of their convictions. For example, I am personally against redefining marriage to allow homosexual couples to "marry" one another. But as a libertarian, I don't think that the government should have any say over the actions of adults as long as they are not causing harm to others. There may or may not be harmful implications involved in allowing homosexual marriage, but they are not causing direct harm to anyone else.

I would agree with Dr. Ron Paul and say that marriage shouldn't be a government issue at all, so it is left up to churches to decide who can marry. This is a good example of how a conservative libertarian would handle a position. In short, despite having conservative values, we acknowledge that the government cannot legislate morality, and that responsible adults ought to be free to make their own decisions as long as they do not cause direct harm to another person or inhibit that person's free expression of choice.

The only issue where I think the government should be directly involved in is abortion. All humans are deserving of the same liberties by virtue of simply being human. Embryos are too young to enjoy such freedoms just yet, but they are still human beings who ought to be legally protected from harm like every other human being.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 06:58
The Federalist Party was more Constitutional, but at the same time, they were willing support loose interpretation on some issues that needed loose interpretation. I know that sounds vague, but I'd have to do some more research. Alexander Hamilton was their leader tho, and he was my favorite guy back in that era.

I agree on most of your comments, but, for the record, gay and lesbian marriages do cause our country problems. Now I'm being as PG as possible here lol, so I'll say this. All the AIDS and HIV viruses out there would die out in one generation if homosexuality was prohibited, and the laws were followed. Those diseases did not originate from God's original, planned union of one man and one woman, but from homosexuality. God's laws are here to protect us, and enlighten us further, and so when He condemns homosexuality, there is a good reason for it.

With that being said, don't take this as I hate gay and lesbian people. I don't. I hate the practice, but we are commanded to love people, not hate them, in the Bible. Even if it wasn't commanded, I'd still love them. I know many homosexual people or couples who are great people...its just that they are following in a path where they have been deceived, or are deceiving themselves. I could expound more upon this subject, but I'd rather not unless there is a specific topic devoted to this lol.

Btw, the same word is used in the Greek for unborn babies, and those that have been born. Tell that to Planned Parenthood.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 08:15
Be aware that many of those infected are heterosexual women and men. It is passed through blood as well as semen. Unfortunately, for the unborn children, those who really want them seem to not be able to and those who don't seem to have too many. Let's not get off topic here. This is trending toward some hot topics. Politics and religion really don't belong on this forum. Thanks!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 10:02
Ok guys, since we can't have this conversation here, i'll start a new forum also in the Prancing Pony section called "Controversial Issues in Politics" where we can discuss these controversial issues in more depth. You guys all have really great points, and I would love to hear more about what you think without us getting in trouble for getting "off-topic" (although I think these topics are VERY relevant in politics). That way we can talk more there
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 07:17
yeah, belle is right, no politics lol! We have enough in everyday life as it is.

Trivia: Alexander Hamiltion led the Federalist Party, and his rival from the "Republican Party" was Thomas Jefferson. These men did not get along. Strangely enough, in an election in which Jefferson and Aaron Burr were tied for electoral votes, Hamilton told his supporters to vote for Jefferson. LOL!
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 08:52
Note that the newly opened thread is now closed. Interesting trivia, LegolasXXXXX. Our forefathers were an unusual set of folk and are most likely turning in their graves right now. I used to be a liberal, now I trend more toward conservative. Guess that tends to happen when you get older (I'll be 61 in October).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 03:13
Im not really sure of what political designation I will be. But I am still young. I will, however, drift towards whatever party seems to be in time with and shares the values of what the Bible teaches, as I am proudly a Christian
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 10:56
I'm with Findemaxam I can't really say "Liberal" or "Conservative" as if its a black-or-white kind of choice. A lot of topics in politics are in the gray area. I would say that I am more conservative, though, as I agree with more of the ideas of people under those headings than under the Liberal heading.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know what either of those means so I'm just gonna say I like to keep positive and stick to my religious beliefs. I think the governments should be more for the people, but I agree that they should not have all the power. I think our president should stick to what he/she says. What does that make me?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im with you, Rodwen. As long as the laws i see in America go with the laws of God, then im OK. I dont really know what I am.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
You guys sound Conservative to me. That's what I am. I disagree with Liberals on most (if not all) things.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Mareth. A lot of liberal idea seem a little radical to me.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I looked it up...Conservative vs. Liberal..Difference and Comparison. I am a Liberal.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BelleBayard
Send Message
How about a Moderate? There are folks on the extremes of both sides, but some people are not quite so much one way or the other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thats true! I wonder how many people would consider themselves more "moderate" than one way or another?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I imagine there's quite a few people who don't consider themselves to be anywhere on the one-dimensional line between the two.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
There should be a name for that, since most people seem to be either/or.
Gilrin
Council Member
Send Message
so, for those of you who say you believe the laws of America should follow the laws of god... have you ever actually read the Constitution? More specifically... the 1st Amdendment in the Bill of Rights? Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion...What does that mean you ask? It means, that your religion, whatever it may be... has absolutely NO place in the government. That's what separation of church and state means. Practice your faith.. but do not force your beliefs onto others by way of making laws from them. It is UnConstitutional.

[Edited on 11/28/2013 by Gilrin]
13 Powers do the Witches claim. Their right to lineage by Hecate's name. Tie a knot and say the words, or hand on head- the blessing conferred.
BelleBayard
Send Message
tarcolan, I believe that folks like that are Moderates (more what I consider myself). Gilrin, I agree. The Founding Fathers didn't want religion in their government since there were so many problems with the Anglican church in English government (undue influence), however, they DID want the freedom to practice whatever religion individuals believed in without one becoming more important than another. Yes, the majority of our Founding Fathers were Christians, but they had seen the effects of religion ruling people in secular matters. That said, they didn't want to quash anyone's beliefs. I am not a Christian, but I wish people Merry Christmas and Happy Easter because there is nothing wrong with hoping people find joy and peace in that spiritual path. I do not believe God, the Creator, or whatever other name you wish to call the Higher Power would want such divisive, hateful things going on in his/her/their name. Wishing all a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Since there are countries that have parties calling themselves "liberal conservative", the terms have somewhat lost meaning for me. The conservationist’s aim is preserve things from degradation, or to repair damages from degradation that has occurred. So that makes greens conservative? (OK, some greens also have other agendas that can tend towards the nutty).
I would say that I’m very much for tolerance and keeping an open mind, standing up for my convictions but ready to adjust them when I hear convincing arguments that are new for me.
BUT.
Tolerance is very much a two-way street to my way of thinking, and when I run into what I consider intolerance I will mince no words to make my disagreement clear.
I have no use whatsoever for dogmatists.
Bullies are almost the last thing that get me in an aggressive mood.
I think very little of lobbyists of any kind, as their activities cross the line to corruption far too often.

And a last word on the 2nd Amendment. Read all of it, not just the half-lie starting with dot dot dot on the NRA headquarters. It is, as far as I can recall, the only Amendment with conditional wording (correction to precise wording welcome, what follows is from memory): “Recognizing the need to maintain standing militias, …”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gilrin, I agree with Belle. As history went on, despite the fact that the founding father's did not want religion in their government, President's and government officials made their own laws accordingly to their faaith and religious beleifs. So, in a way, religion has worked into government.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email