Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: dixie ringers! (southern usa)
on: June 10, 2008 03:32
I am proud to hail from the Old Dominion state of Virginia. I live in Rockingham County, to be exact. Go Virginia Tech!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 12, 2008 03:42
haha well thats cool...i know a family that used to live in Virginia! but i've nvr been there myself...
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2008 04:59
It's a nice place...I like it!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 13, 2008 09:35
of course im sure it is...just as Texas is a cool place...but not literally it's pretty hot here... :rolleyes:
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2008 02:26
Yeah, I'll agree to that. We need RAIN!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 14, 2008 04:45
ya i know!! we havnt had rain in over a month...i need rain for my grass to grow so my horses can eat!! lol
nautika
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2008 07:30
Hi, you all. I'm from the Bluegrass State, which is actually a Commonwealth! And I have my reservations for A Long Expected Party! I think it's something like 100 days away now.

nautika
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 20, 2008 12:03
what is the Long Expected Party? Am i missing out on summtin?
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2008 03:23
All I know is that it's something I can't go to...
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2008 03:19
All hail South Carolinians and Virginians!!

Lady_Alya...you're not very far from me when I'm at school.

This Long Expected Party thing sounds nice, if it weren't in Kentucky. I think we need to organize our own thing.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2008 01:25
Hi Cuio_Mai! Nice to see you here! All dixie ringers are always welcome! Where exactly is your school? Near what cities or landmarks?
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2008 02:55
Hampden-Sydney is located just outside of Virginia's mighty industrial metropolis, also known as Farmville (notice the sarcasm). We're in Prince Edward County. Amongst hills, tobacco plants, and cows. Seriously, there aint much else.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 05, 2008 11:05
hey Cuio_Mai! ya i know what you mean, i live out in the sticks too! I'm from TX though.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2008 12:36
Ain't it a small world? I know where that is. You ever heard of Harrisonburg? Well, I live in the country outside of it. Some of my friends say I live in the sticks. I live with the cows, the Mennonites, and corn. Horse and buggies are an everyday occurance. (That's astonishing to some people...)
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2008 05:05
Don't you love how the Amish ride around on their buggies, yet they have those flashing lights on the back?

Yes, I know where Harrisonburg is. The closest I tend to come is to Charlottesville. I go up there about once every month or so. Basically, I'm obsessed with the place.

I live out in the country in SC, but for some reason, it isn't nearly as peaceful as Hampden-Sydney. I think it's my relatives' fault. There ain't no shortage of insanity in my family, both presently and historically.

Actually, my great-great grandfather murdered his wife. He tied her to a buggy, doused it in kerosine, and set it on fire.

Cool family, huh?
Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2008 02:47
Where in SC do you live, Cuio_Mai? I live just under the NC border, in little ol' York county... I love small towns!! They're fun!!

I am going to Florida on Thursday!! Yay!! Another (southern) state to add to my list!!
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2008 03:08
Ah...I live just south of Camden. Right at the Kershaw/Sumter border.
Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2008 02:19
Hey thats cool! I drive through there on the way to and from Myrtle Beach!
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2008 12:02
Very cool family Cuio_Mai...if that's what you call it!

Actually, in my neighborhood, it's the Mennonites. The Amish are typically in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. Of course, there are Mennonites there too...
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2008 04:40
We have a small Amish community outside of Farmville. I have a good friend from Pennsylvania who is a Mennonite. A bit less of a traditionalist, albeit.

In South Carolina, we just have Independent Baptists.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2008 12:38
You don't mind if I ask what an 'independent' Baptist is, do you?
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 12:38
Independent Baptists are congregations that profess to be Baptists, however, they refuse to join the Southern Baptist Convention, as most of them see it as too modern. Yes, that's what I said. They're too traditional for Southern Baptists.

I come from a long line of Independent Baptists, several of them preachers, including my grandfather. However, it is a tradition that will end with my father. Those churches are dying off and I've no intention of slowing that down.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 12:46
Thanks for explaining. I grew up in a Baptist church, then we went to a Nazarene church for a long time and it's the one I always remember, but now we attend a little Brethren church that's about a mile from my house. It's really nice because the members are people I know and they live nearby and I can walk to church if I want! And now I don't have to be a Nazarene to do Bible Quizzing, so it all works out!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 05:42
i go to a Baptist church. we belong to the Southern Baptists but we really arent like a traditional baptist church...lol we kinda do our own thing lol
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2008 03:48
I don't know if the church I used to attend was a Southern Baptist or not...hm.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: January 16, 2009 08:34
*pout* this thread went away from the first page...

Now it's back!

I hail from near Houston Tx, city life yet country living at the same time.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 16, 2009 08:54
howdy..

Yep, it did kinda disappear....i am going to Houston the first weekend of Feb. For my b-day!
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2009 03:32
Hello, Merides. Lovely to see another dixie ringer about. How is everyone?
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: January 18, 2009 03:41
Pretty good, thanks!

Eruceninde, I wish you and I could meet up when you are in my neck of the woods... of course, I'm sure your parents would probably be against that... *sigh*
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 20, 2009 02:22
ya, i already thought about that. i mean, your neck of the woods. Though it would really depend on where in houston you live. you could be on the other side of where i am going to be! Houston is waay to big.

I'll be in the Spring area.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2009 03:53
That would be cool if y'all could meet. Currently, I know exactly two people face to face on here and I encouraged both of them to join! The history of Texas is fascinating...but I won't go there because I should be studying for my Spanish and Horticulture exams tomorrow and I just took my history exam today. So that's why I'm thinking about that! Cheers, y'all!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 22, 2009 06:47
I know you know Eladan. who else do you know? *doesnt know anyone*

Texas history is interesting.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: January 22, 2009 01:47
Texas History is interesting.
Tell me about it! I'm in Austin this weekend with my grandparents, and we're going to the Bob Bolluck Texas State History Museum tomorrow morning. I'm excited about it.

I have my sketch book all prepared; my art prof informed me that she would stone me with muffins unless I brought her back 100 1"x1" or bigger thumbnail sketches of Austin. Punishment for missing a class or two. *sigh* better that than full page, I guess. We went to the LBJ museum and library today- very interesting. I recommend it to anyone interested in seeing the 50s-60s up close. Like stepping back in time.

[Edited on 2/18/2009 by Merides]
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2009 03:46
Whooh, someone is really excited! That's really awesome!!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2009 05:09
Mardi Gras has been sooo much fun. Did you fellow southerners know that the mystic societies and parading began NOT in New Orleans but in Mobile,AL???? My great-great-great-great uncle Michael Krafft begain the first mystic societies in 1830's on New Year's Eve. After an evening of dining and drinking, Michael and his friends didn't want the party to stop, so they went to a local shop and borrowed some rakes and hoes and paraded loudly through the streets and to the Mayor's home. Their group was named the Cowbellion deRakin Society, which paraded on New Year's even until after the Civil war.
Isn't southern history interesting???

MT
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email