Register

<< First1920212223Last >>
Author Topic:
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
Post RE: Suggestions for the site?
on: August 02, 2005 03:16
I think you should have in the User area that other people look at, when the member last logged on.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 04:08
The problem with that is, if someone logs in with the "Remember Me" box clicked, one doesn't have to specifically "log in" each time they're online.

What it would show is the last time they actually did 'log in' - but that could be days ago, and yet, that person has been online every day. - So, it wouldn't really be 'accurate'.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 04:58
Stella ~ You *can* see when a person last accessed the Forums by clicking on the Profile button below any one of their posts, or going to Member List (next to Profile | Member List | Search, etc. near the top of the window...), typing in their name, then clicking it. Either way, you can see when they were last there, whether they posted or not.

I just clicked on your Profile and saw that you were last active today, August 2nd at 6:41 PM Pacific time, even though the last post you made was at 6:16 PM, in this thread. Maybe that will be of some help to you.

MiddleEarthBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 06:08
I think it would be a good idea if we had a CoE survey where members could answer questions like "What do you think of our Humor Section?" so you guys will know if that section needs to be updated or not.
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 05:39
I just discovered that when you have no pms hidden anywhere in your inbox (or friendbox or any other place) there's no short cut to the PM area from whatever page you're on... As I am a very lazy person who don't like to touch too many buttons if it can be avoided, and naturally assuming everybody else are like me, having that short cut permanent would be greatly appreciated:love::love::love:

*slaps self very hard with fish* Hehehe, I just realised we do have another short cut at the top of the page... Now why do I never use that... I was talking about the short cut that is normally right under the place where it says "You're logged in as ...." However, now that I've just discovered I'm as blind as a mole I guess I don't really need it that much:nono::blush:

[Edited on 10/8/2005 by Eressëa]
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 10:27
Sorry if I'm pestering this thread too much :blush:, but it would be nice if people who logged in with the wrong username/pass would be automatically redirected to the CoE front page. I'm always typing the wrong password, going to the page that tells me my password's wrong, then waiting for five minutes before I realize I need to click "back". :blush:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 03:50
Would it be possible to make a search box for the Multimedia section so that you could find wallpapers, bookmarks, eCards or whatever created by different users? It would be much more easier to find other people's work that way, and i think that people would find it really useful
MiddleEarthBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 08:37
I think it would be better if instead of receiving 1-3 points for every encyclopedia entry, it could be like evey 3 you get like 1-2 points. It has become way easier for people to get definitions now that we have books avalible like "Tolkiens
World from A to Z : The Complete Guide to Middle Earth".
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 01:46
It has become way easier for people to get definitions now that we have books avalible like "Tolkiens

Except that they have to be written in your own words, which is still fairly difficult to do Anyone who submits plagiarized text from books like you've mentioned will open us up to potential lawsuits -- the admins look over each submission carefully, and try to make sure they are not copied from books. If you are aware of any entries which have copied text, please contact the Encyclopedia Admins (atalante_star, and Nienna-of-the-Valar)..
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 02:24
I think it would be better if instead of receiving 1-3 points for every encyclopedia entry, it could be like evey 3 you get like 1-2 points. It has become way easier for people to get definitions now that we have books avalible like "Tolkiens

You'd have to write something pretty special to get more than 1 point per entry ..! And actually, its almost becoming harder for people to get encyclo points now as we now have so many entries - its harder to find things we havent got
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 02:57
I used to be a member of the Nany Drew message boards at herinteractive.com, and they had a good idea that I think would be great to have here Beside each thread that YOU had posted in (On the little envolope) There was a black dot that could only be seen by you. I think that would be uselful, because with a site as large as CoE, its hard to remember where you have posted and where you have not Just a thought
~Songbird
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 10:57
I was wondering if the time in the PM section could be set in the same time zone as the rest of the site. I am at GMT+1, and changed the time in my account to this time zone for the entire site, but the time behind the PMs on the right side of the screen says a totally different time (GMT-??), which is slightly confusing.

Would this be possible?

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 04:37
songbird13 and Ninjoo, I'm not sure if either of your suggestions are possible, but in the meantime:

songbird ~ if you click *Search* near the top of the page, where you find *Profile| Member List | Search* etc..., then type your name in the *by (username)* box, all of your posts will show up in one list, with the Topics you started at the top and then the threads you posted in below that. Both are in posted order with the most recent on top. That's probably a lot easier than looking through the Forum threads to see where you have posted.

Ninjoo ~ The PM time has always been off... What you can rely on is the time the PM shows when it reaches your Inbox if you have checked the feature that notifies you when you have a received a PM.

I hope these help!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:44
I wonder if the links to fan art and fanfic sites in the Links section could be separated, and links to the most important Tolkien fan artists' and illustrators' websites inculded in the artwork links list? At present, it's almost impossible to find the few art links among the fanfic links; and, although there's a lot of material in the CoE Gallery, it's impossible to get every good Tolkien themed artwork there.
Meldaerin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 10:06
You know how you have a "random block"? Well, what about a "random member block"? This could maybe help get people to know one another more. You have their picture or avater, their birthday, what they do on CoE, and/or their personal interests.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 01:42
Since you already offer users a variety of themes, I just wanted to suggest that you include a "low graphics" theme that would be quick to download. (Without the title graphics & the pictures of Elrond with every news item on the home page. And in the forums, without the avatar pictures and signature graphics.)

Since this site is visually very beautful, with a lot of graphics, etc., it's sometimes difficult to download on slower internet connections. (When I'm away from home, I find it quite tedious even to download the home page on my laptop, with a sloooow wireless internet connection)
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 09:29
pv, I think the Dead Marshes theme has been designed with slow connections in mind. It's not the most beautiful though, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have another low graphics one.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 06:26
Thank you, Morwin! I'll go ahead and brave the Dead Marshes, then! But I love my White Tree theme, and it would be great if there was a low graphics version of that.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
QueenOfTheDead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 07:59
I don't know if anyone already suggested this...nor did I look around if anyone did, but Maybe for the multimedia section there could be mini calendars about 8 in x 11 in. They'd maybe have LOTR characters/cast on them and then blank spaces for the dates to be filled in by the consumer. Just a thought.

[Edited on 10/16/2005 by QueenOfTheDead]
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 05:27
I :love: that idea QotD! *wants a CoE-made calendar*
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 05:44
How about a section that helps people writing fanfiction? I know a lot of our members are taking English/Literature/Writing for school, or they have degrees in these things, so we could easily come up with some online workshops on writing stories and poetry. I know we have help for keeping your character from being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but I think there should be a section on writing hints, explaining things like voice (and the improvement of), word choice, flow, sentence fluency, all that stuff you learn for your writing class then forget. I know there's offers for beta readers and help writing, but it would be easy if it were more accessable like this. We could also include links to other websites, like Thesaraus.com, Dictionary.com, and writing help sites.
Any thoughts?
Maybe there's a section on this and I haven't seen it. If so, please tell me so I can go examine it.
somethingscary34
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 04:56
could u maybe add more to the humor section?IDEA: borimers swimming bogg.(funny tales from the haunted swamp
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 07:41
Maybe there's a section on this and I haven't seen it. If so, please tell me so I can go examine it.

You might find some of what you're looking for in the Creations forum... If the topics aren't there, then maybe talk to the mods about starting some.
somethingscary34
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 06:52
who likes my idea?:heart:
Ninjoo
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 09:37
could u maybe add more to the humor section?IDEA: borimers swimming bogg.(funny tales from the haunted swamp
You mean creating a parody of the Dead Marshes? But Boromir hasn't been to the Dead Marshes, so i'm afraid that name won't do.
Maybe you need to be a bit more specific on what you like to see in the Humor Section.
somethingscary34
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 11:36
how about: The creepy things that you'll see in the dead marshes(weired tales from the dead marshes)hows that?
Ninjoo
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 03:04
how about: The creepy things that you'll see in the dead marshes(weired tales from the dead marshes)hows that?

I don't know. Do you think this will result in enough submissions? I mean, it's too much work for Ringhilwen and Oddwen (our dear humor admins) to set up a complete section, and then no one submits stuff for it. That would be a bit of a bummer.

And what kind of weird tales did you have in mind, and who should write them? Parodies on the Frodo/Sam/Gollum scene, or in general? And the 'creepy things' you speak of, are those fictional, or do they include objects that were actually in the Marshes? Would you be the only one to write the tales (like Cassie Claire, who wrote the Very Secret Diaries), or can anyone submit tales? A lot of questions who would make things a lot clearer if you could answer them.

As far as i can judge this, we already have a couple of sections in the Humor part of this site where your tales could be submitted to:
~Elrond's Lost and Found

~Humorous Fanfiction. Although the admins don't add any fanfiction anymore specifically for this section. Humorous fanfiction can be taken to the normal fanfiction section.

~Tolkien Parodies. Self-explanatory, i deem.

Maybe it's better if you contact Ringhilwen or Oddwen about your idea, once you've thought about these questions and when you're sure it doesn't fit in any of the areas i named.

I hope this helps.
Finduilas_of_Ithilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 10:55
If you could ask for more Mac fonts, it would be great, because my friends and I are looking fore some Hobbiton writing-based fonts for our themed essays. The problem is, everyone in the scholl has to have a Mac laptop! Thank you!
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 11:10
I hope it doesn't exist and I have just never noticed this, but a "View all posts since last visit"-thingie would be very handy.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 02:50
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but I would love to see some new CoE t-shirt designs. It would be cool to have some bumper stickers or those car window vinyl decals too. Maybe it would help sales if there were some new things to choose from. There could be a contest or something since there are so many talented artists here.
Ninjoo
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 12:26
I hope it doesn't exist and I have just never noticed this, but a "View all posts since last visit"-thingie would be very handy.
On the forum pages, the icons of yellow, orange and grey envelopes indicate if new posts we made since you were last active. A function to view all the posts that were made since you were last active would result in a lot of posts to browse through, since this is such an active forum. You'd probably get at least 300 posts a day or so. I don't know if this is a function that can be added, and if it is, if it will be used a lot.
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but I would love to see some new CoE t-shirt designs. It would be cool to have some bumper stickers or those car window vinyl decals too. Maybe it would help sales if there were some new things to choose from. There could be a contest or something since there are so many talented artists here.
We have bumperstickers available at Cafepress, but that's just one design i believe. There is also a lot of other fun stuff available over there.
New t-shirt desings would be nice though

SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 07:04
How about ringtones? I'd love to have an LotR theme ringtone for my cell
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 10:39

New t-shirt desings would be nice though

There are also some neat tshirt designs over here at Zazzle.com that came from the tshirt design contest that was held a while ago.
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: December 03, 2005 08:20
I don't know if this can be done but a red "new" sign would be useful in the ecards page. Also in the Gallery it would be good to have the "new" sign above the specific folder that holds the newly added submission. Well, that way we will not have to check all 10 (or more) subcategories to find the new image. That would be really helpful.

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by Sidhien]
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: December 03, 2005 09:30
I was thinking of adding another subsection to the poems section in Elrond's Library for translations of poems into the two main elvish languages. I know some of them are already written in Sindarin, and a few I suspect in Quenya, but it could be for members' translations of other poems. I know there's some of us skilled enough to do this.
If this has been suggested and turned down before, I do apologise for not having read through the whole thread. My excuse is that I'm moving house today.
So, anybody got any opinions on this?
<< First1920212223Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email