Register

<< First2122232425Last >>
Author Topic:
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
Post RE: Suggestions for the site?
on: March 07, 2006 02:07
They were excellent, Sidhien. I have added them as a new section to the multimedia area...:disco:
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: March 12, 2006 05:09
I suspect my idea got lost in the thread somewhere because I never got any feedback. I'm going to write again, but if the mods have already read but not commented, feel free to delete this post or ask me to do so.

I think we could have another section in the poems section for poems from LotR than have been translated into Sindarin or Quenya by the site members. I do know plenty of people who are skilled enough at either or both languages to be able to contribute. However, if this would mean a lot of 'proofreading' by some mod or admin who hasn't got the time, I can see why it may not work.

Maybe that would fit in here, Rebecca. Why don't you talk to the language mods about it?
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
on: March 12, 2006 10:33
We need a section in the e-cards that tells you what cards are new - like with the other multimedia secion.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 08:57
I suspect my idea got lost in the thread somewhere because I never got any feedback. I'm going to write again, but if the mods have already read but not commented, feel free to delete this post or ask me to do so.

I think we could have another section in the poems section for poems from LotR than have been translated into Sindarin or Quenya by the site members. I do know plenty of people who are skilled enough at either or both languages to be able to contribute. However, if this would mean a lot of 'proofreading' by some mod or admin who hasn't got the time, I can see why it may not work.

Maybe that would fit in here, Rebecca. Why don't you talk to the language mods about it?

Whoops. Naneth has been on hiatus since late last year, and I don't think the other Languages staff read this thread a lot, so I'm sorry we haven't responded.

Anyway, re: translations. That role is played by the Compositions section that Atalante linked to (thanks!) -- it's small not due to exclusitivity, but simply because we've been neglecting it dreadfully until now, and not a lot of people are aware of it. :blush: However, we do welcome submissions at any time (PM me for more details!), and the Languages staff will try to promote and publicise this section of the site more sometime in the near future. Proofreading is no problem providing that the submitter is reasonably skilled in Sindarin (i.e. simple mistakes aren't being consistently made).
~Stella~
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 09:13
We need to have a section in multimedia for banner uploading.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 04:35
I have an idea. I think that everyone should be able to submit themes, not just for contests.
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 12:14
Errr.....I was just thinking: Is there any prospect for more/new smilies for the forums? Maybe some members would love to submit their ideas. Under certain guidelines, perhaps? A mini-contest maybe...
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2006 01:21
I've been looking on other LOTR sites, and I've noticed that a lot of them have banners on the web page that link to http://www.thehobbitfilm.com (like the one in my signature, for example), and I thought that would be a good idea for this site too (since that site seems to be our only hope for a Hobbit movie). If you go to the site they have lots of banners to choose from.

[Edited on 5/3/06 by Aragorn1]
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 09:03
This is a suggestion related to realms. I've noticed that realms, in general, seem to run a lot better when an admin or moderator is involved. Realms like Nessa, however, don't have any administrators or moderators involved, and we really struggle to keep up with whatever's going on in the CoE at large.

I think it would help tremendously to assign at least one administrator to each realm. Whether they take over leadership or not, the presence of an admin would greatly add to the enthusiasm and involvement of everyone within the realm.
Jadawen_Lady_Of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 03:05
I think maybe like a search bar on the home page so if someone dosen't know where something is they can just type it in the search bar and BAM there it is lol
it's just a though.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 01:39
Jada, I think you will find a search link and a search box at the top of the page. At least, I seen them.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 06:04
I think what Jada means is on the *Home* Page, not the *Forum* Page, Rose.

Besides the one up top where you see:

Profile | Member List | Search | FAQ | Board Rules | Messages | RPG Characters | Birthdays

there is also *Search* under *News* under the *Main Menu*. It searches the entire site whereas the one for the Forum searches only items in threads, like the one in the Gallery that searches only through the Gallery.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 08:11
Ah, thanks NenyaGold. To my rescue as usual. lol I always get confused with the Home page and the Main Forums page. *slaps head*
Jadawen_Lady_Of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 06:55
oo ok well thanks for telling me where they are at lease!
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 06, 2006 12:54
I have a couple of suggestions for some new sections on CoE. It's kind of a long message, so you might want to grab a cup of coffee before you start reading You have a really big site here, so I apologize in advance if I've suggested something that already exists here. Coffee ready? Then let's do it.

I thought that it would be fun to open a new fan art section where our members could post their Lego blocks creation (you are probably laughing right now, aren't you I was actually visiting my friend's house a few days ago and I saw her father (who is pretty close to 50) building a Lego replica of Medulseld. I was quite surprised, so I searched the net to see if anybody else thought of it and I've found dozens of Lego LotR sites. So, from what I could see it's quite popular. It could be fun to have the same thing here, and it will keep our creative juices running. We could even organize inter-realm competitions; make our users compete for the best creation to a given subject.

The 2nd thing is related to our language section. There was a thread in the Movie Forum today about a dwarven phrase. We haven't managed to translate it completely, since the dwarven tongue is somewhat scarce on the net. So... we could start a new "learn to speak dwarven" section, similar to the one we have about elven tongue. We could collect what dictionaries are available and expand them. Create user-friendly lessons, even make up our own words if necessary.

The 3rd suggestion falls under the humour section. It's about making videos for songs using windows movie maker. Just take a song you like and paste the appropriate clips as the music goes on. I've done this a couple of times and it's loads of fun (made a mean little video for David Gray's "The One I Love" song using clips from Two Towers. Now I know that there's probably no chance we could pull this off due to copyrights, but perhaps we could make only short clips (a single verse or just a chorus)... Probably not, but if nothing, at least try this at home. Believe me, it's really worth the time. With a little imagination it can be hilarious

Perhaps we could go for a "lite" version of this. Just take some lyrics and paste screenshots (there are plenty of those around) so they match the text, in a funny way of course. Could be worth the shot...

Just one more to go Err... Riddles in the dark. We could open a section where we would submit our very own riddles. Like the ones Gollum and Bilbo played. Again, we could organize inter-realms in writing new riddles and answering them.

And that's about it... for now anyway. So, I hope you liked at least one of the suggestions, and that we'll try to make something from the above list happen. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time,

Peace
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 05:32
I liked yourinter-realm riddle competition idea, Aegor! I'll ask in the Realms Administration forum if the Realm leaders are interested. :wave:
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 06:46
The 2nd thing is related to our language section. There was a thread in the Movie Forum today about a dwarven phrase. We haven't managed to translate it completely, since the dwarven tongue is somewhat scarce on the net. So... we could start a new "learn to speak dwarven" section, similar to the one we have about elven tongue. We could collect what dictionaries are available and expand them. Create user-friendly lessons, even make up our own words if necessary.

Hello, Aegor - I'll take a shot at answering this one.

Actually, you can check this site: http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie.htm - which has reviews (and translations) of all the languages used in the LoTR movies: Sindarin, Quenya, Dwarvish, and Black Speech.

Secondly, and it's always nice to see a new person interested in any of Tolkien's languages, the real reason that the info on Dwarvish is 'scarce', is because as woefully small are the words for J.R.R. Tolkien's elvish languages, it's *much* smaller for Dwarvish, not nearly enough to write lessons for at all, unfortunately, nor (really) for creating a 'dictionary'. There may be some folk's who have 'played' with 'expanding' the Dwarvish words, but like Sindarin and Quenya, only words attested as being invented by JRRT will be 'real' Dwarvish.

Also, even though the Languages Forum is entiled, 'Elvish101' (with the Quenya Discussion subforum), *any* of Tolkien's languages can be (and have in the past) discussed there.

Come on in and join us!
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 07:34
I had an idea pertaining to the multimedia section. There are no notecards or notepapers for the seeing impared. There should be a section of both for cards and notepapers for those who cannot read words on light paper.
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 04:05
I'm not sure how to answer that one, stella. Dark words on light paper may be difficult for some to see but printing 'dark' stationery and notecards isn't going to be feasible. (Most people don't print dark things because for one it uses up too much ink.) And if it is dark how do you type on it? White lettering? When you print a notecard the outside has the colors but on the inside its still white. And for stationery if you print it dark how do you write on it? With blue ink? Black ink?

I'm not seeing impaired other than I should wear my glasses when I'm on the computer so I can't really answer this question but from my point of view it doesn't make sense.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 22, 2006 02:42
I have a friend, well aquantance, at my university who is seeing impared. She cannot look at dark type on light paper and so she writes on black or paper with purple or other color gel ink pen and she has informed me that it is really hard to get stationary in dark paper (my friend has to go to Canada to get her notebooks). What if there was just the sationary, then the writer could use the dark side and not write on the back. forget the card idea - you are quite right, that would not work at all.

You could write on it with gel pens - white or light green or purple or any other color.
cirithungol
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2006 11:48
I was on this website where the list the top 100 Middle-earth websites and i didn't see this site on there, maybe i missed it but if it's not. I think we should add it.

The site is this http://usa.ultimatetopsites.com/entertainment/dimlondiel17/

I think we should do, it's fun and gets more people enjoying this wonderful site!
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 11:51
How about a section for fan videos? I watched some on another site recently and they were just lovely. They seem like such a great feature to have. What with this being such a big community as well, and judging by some of the Multimedia that has already been made, I'm sure there would be some fabulous ones put together.
Nívfaen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 06:39
Hello!

I was wondering if there is a way that the Multimedia Download Area could have a way to search for a particular authors submissions. Say you come across a wallpaper, bookmark, etc. that you really like, do a search for that members username to view all of their download submissions in all categories (wallpapers, notecards, bookmarks-everything they have submitted to the Multimedia Download Area).

I don't know if anyone else would find this useful or if it is even possible to do. If there is already a way to do this type of search in the Multimedia Download Area that I just haven't figured out yet (which is very possible ), I would love to know.

Thank you.
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 05:32
Cool idea, Nifaen... It would make it easier to find things if your interested in one particular creator. I will pass it along and see if it is an option.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 04:29
That *would* be nifty. They do that in e-cards don't they? If you search for a member, you get all the cards they have made.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 06:46
It's a good idea but what if someone has a username change? Some of the multimedia I submitted is still under my old name and I can't find anything that allows me to change it.
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 01:50
I have a suggestion ... I'm not sure if we already have it or not (maybe I've just not explored my account enough) but would it be possible to have a 'note pad' of some description in the my account section ... a place where no one else can access (like one's PM box) ... just where you can store parts of posts or articles you might be working on, I've seen it on other boards and its quite useful especially for those of us who have to change computers a lot.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 02:46
elvishmusician I tend to use my CoE member website for this purpose - can't quite remember how to do it but there is a way to use the pages without them showing up to others.
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 25, 2006 07:51
Thanks morwenna ... I'll go and have a play with my website settings ... I have recently discovered that you can send PMs to yourself too... which is another way to store information
elvishlord
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 01:35
I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but it would be very helpful to me if the 'main menu > languages' drop-down menu included a quick link to the dictionaries page. That is probably what I use the most in the languages section and it would just make things easier.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2007 05:25
Do you think we could add a new section to the Multimedia where members can upload LOTR videos? Youtube has a wonderful stock of them.
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: January 13, 2007 07:40
That idea was discussed a ways back and it's a no go. Video/and or sound would take up too much space, bandwidth, issues with dial ups, etc.

There is a thread in the Palantir though that is for links to other things. You could post a link in there to the ones that you like...
Eslyssa
COE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 03:38
I'm curious...

For those of us who write fanfiction, we are often looking for a Beta to go over our work with us. I know that often other sites have sections where people can either seek or offer Beta-ing services, and I was wondering whether that might be something very easily implementable and potentially quite useful.

It could easily be a section under the Creations Forum, for example - or even just a Topped Thread - or it could be on the fanfiction section rather than in the forums...

An idea, in any case. What do people think? Potential? Unnecessary?
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 05:28
We do actually have one of these... in the Fanfiction and Poetry subforum to the Creations Forum there's a topped thread called Beta-Reading Requests. Check it out and see what you think.
Nívfaen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 05:08
I know everyone is very busy so I didn't want to bother anyone with PM's. I was just wondering if the idea I posted a couple of months ago about the Multimedia Download Area having a way to search for particular authors to see all of their submissions is an option? Thanks
<< First2122232425Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email