Register

<< First2223242526
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Suggestions for the site?
on: February 13, 2007 05:21
I have a suggestion. I don't think that everyone at COE knows about the inter-realm poetry contest. My suggestion is that it be announced on the Home page. So, that everyone will have the opportunity to vote. I also think it will encourage our poets and it might fire up more interest for the Realms.
Thank You,
Awelyn 418
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 05:06
the Multimedia Download Area having a way to search for particular authors to see all of their submissions is an option?
I'll pass this on to Rivka and see if it is an option for the site. I imagine it would take some coding and stuff in order to do this so that would be something she would have to answer.
I don't think that everyone at COE knows about the inter-realm poetry contest.
Your probably right, Awelyn. I'll get with them and see if we can start posting it when a new one starts. Good idea...

Arthwen_Eruwaedhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 06:08
I dunno if this has already been said but if their are no more Journals then I tihnk the option for them should be taken out from the personal options. You know, like Private Messages and Log Out and stuff.
Nenya_Ring
Galadriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 07:42
the Multimedia Download Area having a way to search for particular authors to see all of their submissions is an option?

Nívfaen, there is a way to find all submissions by a certain member, without Rivka having to list all Multimedia downloads by author name: in News>Search, perform a search by author, leave all options selected, and you'll have a list of that person's submissions.
Image ImageGaladriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Nívfaen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 04:26
Thank you Nenya_Ring . How long have we had that feature? When I asked about it a few months ago, no one told me it was already something that could be done. Thank you for letting me know.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 05:08
Nenya_Ring, I'm not sure that works very well... I typed in my name and got stuff that I had nothing to do with... And there are so many pages of that kind of stuff that I can't find much of what I uploaded... Might I be doing something wrong? I did the same with Nivfaen's name and it seems to be the same stuff coming up. If you know a trick, that would be great! Thanks!
Nívfaen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 05:39
NenyaGold, I went to the main menu on the left side and went to were it says news and then to the last link were it says search. In that area you can check the box that says search downloads and then put the authors name in the search field, and that seemed to work for me. It's to bad that something like that is not right in the Multimedia Download Area itself, so it is easier to find. Hope that helps.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 05:54
Aha. Using the *Author* search box and leaving all options selected as Nenya_Ring said is what didn't work for me.

But when I checked only downloads and typed my name in the *Search For:* box instead, that did bring up the wallpapers that I've submitted. Thank you for the help!
Nívfaen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 06:02
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 28, 2007 10:29
Do you know what we need here? We need an icon for the site . It's really strange we don't have one, since this is a very big site and it's only half a minute of work for the webmaster to FTP the icon in the site's root directory. Perhaps we could hold a contest to design it (which could be the next scepter project but then again it would take far too much time that way). I just think it's strange that CoE is the only site in my quicklaunch bar that doesn't have an icon of it's own. So what do you say?
~~Tinuviel~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2007 11:00
I agree, Iggy, it would look good to have one.
Overlord
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 07:56
Don't know if anybody has brought this topic up yet, but my suggestion would be to create a "miscellaneous" section on the forums dedicated to clubs. I think that if you expanded on your club section you would generate more attention to your site! The club section is obscure, being located in the "Community" section. If you were to expose your clubs more I think your site would become more popular.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 12:23
The clubs are intended as a nice little add on for members, not as a main feature. This is a Tolkien site, first and foremost -- we're not particularly interested in adding more members to the site who are not here mainly for Tolkien interests. But thank you for the suggestion.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
DwarfMaster
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2008 05:54
In the Downloads section under the LoTR Wallpapers you could make a section dedicated to Battle For Middle-Earth.
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: January 28, 2008 04:41
You submit a few more wallpapers and I might just create a folder for them in there....

Set your standards high, ok. Clear images, easy to read text. Blurry and pixilated isn't going to get it.
silivra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2008 12:39
Some idea that just came to my mind. It is always difficult to guess if someone is female or male and it is somehow weird to ask this . I saw in another forum that there was a sign which showed if the person is male/female/doesn't want to reveal it.

Just a random idea.
Rivka
Send Message
on: February 20, 2008 12:49
Some idea that just came to my mind. It is always difficult to guess if someone is female or male and it is somehow weird to ask this . I saw in another forum that there was a sign which showed if the person is male/female/doesn't want to reveal it.

Just a random idea.

We already do this, to some extent. In your account profile (not your forum profile, but your overall site profile, which can be clicked by going to My Account up at the top) has a choice to fill out Gender. Others can view that by viewing your site profile (again, different from your forum profile).
silivra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 06:44
Thanks!!! I didn't see it was so easy. *shame on me*
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2008 10:27
An idea came to my mind when I browsed through the Multimedia section. I don't know if this has been asked before, but why is there no banner section? I know that many people make wonderful banners and would like to share them with others; and as there are special rules for banners you want to use on here (60 pixels high etc) a banner section where only those are accepted would be great.
I don't know if this is a stupid idea, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless.
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 13, 2008 12:26
What do you mean by banners? Where would they be used; for what purpose?
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2008 02:05
Oh! Sorry, I wanted to explain it in my previous post, but I simply forgot it! :blush:
The banners that I mean are pictures you use in your signature, like the one I have in mine. Many sites have a section especially for those, but most banners that you find on other sites are too big for CoE.
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 03:53
I had a little idea, but I don't know how to explain it. For the main menu, where it says Home, Film fun & facts etc, how about you have a link for each of Tolkien's books, to make it easier to find.

And there could be character bios somewhere.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 03:59
Hi

I have had an idea for some time now. I don't know if anyone has said it before, but I think it would be really cool if we could have something like "this and that of the month".
i.e. we could have member, forum/post, quote, realm, and so on, and then we members could wote for who we think should win.

--Sigrid

[Edited on 22/4/2008 by Sigrid]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 08:42
I had a little idea, but I don't know how to explain it. For the main menu, where it says Home, Film fun & facts etc, how about you have a link for each of Tolkien's books, to make it easier to find.

And there could be character bios somewhere.

Hi Galathiel,

What kind of links to the books are you looking for? I don't think they're published online, if that's what you're thinking.

You can get a list of JRRT's writings by clicking on the J.R.R. Tolkien link in that same area you're talking about, and then clicking on 'Bibliography'.

Also, if you click on 'Elrond's Library' and go to the Encyclopedia, just type in any of the character names under the 'search' option, and it will bring up a bio.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 04:51
Hi again
I'm just curious if anyone wants to reply to my post??

--Sigrid
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 23, 2008 05:38
Gwendeth, what I meant was to have like a synopsis and reviews and pictures from the movies and things.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 24, 2008 01:26
Sigrid, I think some activity of that kind is happening within the realms - in the General Realms Discussion forum there are contests and newsletters where realm members have voted for e.g. the member of the month or some art made by realmers. Also, in individual realms there may be more that kind of votings. You may want to join a realm to look, or if you are a member of a realm already you can suggest it to your realm staff.

Galethiel, I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean, but there are some reviews and pics of the movies to be found if you go to the Gallery or Reviews under Film Fun & Facts (first click Film Fun & Facts or pick the subcategory straight from the opening menu). The same way there are for example Summaries of the books in Elrond's Library > Summaries. I admit that at least the Film Fun & Facts menu looks a bit unpractically organized at the moment - there will be changes in the movies section in the near future.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2008 04:14
thanks fogriipus, but I actually wondered if we could do something like it in the prancin gpony or something. one for all the members.
is that possible?
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2008 07:36
Had a suggestion...

There is a link to the RPG forum in the Fan creations tab on the left. Could there be a link to the Games forum on the Gaming & Collectibles tab?
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 12, 2008 12:34
Is there a chance we could add a little icon to the Personal message folder that would show whether we've answered that PM or not? It can get confusing like this to remember which PMs are answered and which are not
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 17, 2008 07:58
Is there a chance we could add a little icon to the Personal message folder that would show whether we've answered that PM or not? It can get confusing like this to remember which PMs are answered and which are not

i second that...can be very confusing!
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 05, 2008 06:06
I have a couple new ideas for Elrond's Library. First, I notice many posts in the Books Forum that many first time readers of The Sil make themselves little charts and maps to keep all the info straight. So I was thinking CoE could have a Silmarillion Survival Guide. It could be in a printer friendly format (like the language lessons) and could contain things like a map of Beleriand and Numenor, list of the Valar (their realms, spouses, various names etc.) family trees of elves and men, a word list of the archaic words found in The Sil, and a list of the Kings and Queens of Numenor etc.
Second, a dictionary section listing the archaic words Tolkien uses in his works which could also be in a printer friendly version or something similar to the Encyclopedia. I thought it would be helpful to new readers of Tolkien and readers whose native language is other than English.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: November 05, 2008 10:44
I ditto that, Dolwen. Even for longtime LotR lovers, like me, the Sil is a hard read, and hard to keep straight. (LOL how many sons did Feanor have again?!?)

This would be very helpful!
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 08, 2008 05:50
Thanks Merides. I think it would be a great resource for CoE as well. Wish I had something like that the first time I read The Sil. lol.
LilySprings
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2009 04:21
Mines not the greatest, but I thought it would be cool if we could see where online people are at besides just the forums.
<< First2223242526
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email