Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
Post Wayward Vagabonds
on: June 02, 2006 03:42
The trio was odd-looking, no doubt about it. One was entirely dressed in red, a hard to come by color in any place. His hair matched his scarlet attire, and green eyes smarkled merrily. Stefan, or Stef as many called him, was traveling with another two humans, one on each side of him. It was almost as if they were a guard of honor, in the way they rode just off to the side and slightly behind. Stef smiled a bit at the picture that thought conjured. He was no young lad to be thinking of such tales, but they pleased his thoughts nonetheless.

They were headed to Harad to conduct buisness with the desert folk who lived there. Stef remembered vaguely that one of his two comrades - Denthor - had wanted to see if they could convice a tribe to part company with one of the oliphants. Even with the knowledge that that was a very unlikely possibility, the suggestion had intrigued Stefan. He wondered as he rode his chestnut palfrey, if such a thing would be possible with Denthor along. The man had a tongue of honey, Stef knew very well. He could quite possibly talk an assassin out of the kill, a bear out of honey and who knew what else.

Stef caught himself looking back at Denthor and gave himself a bit of a mental slap. Now wasn't the time for looking for anything, he told himself firmly. Still he couldn't help but sigh as he looked ahead again, watching the road that seemed so long as it stretched before him and his companions.

He wasn't overly concerned with the proceedings. All that really mattered was that the group he was with was going south. To Harad, if the red-head could be believed. Denthor wasn't quite sure he could be. There was a slightly sneaky air about that one, and when he paused to consider it, really it made sense. After all, before the great battle of Gondor, Stefan had been part of Company Six, hadn't he? Or, Denthor ammended, at least he'd claimed to have been part of it. The information gathering part. Denthor hightly doubted that, but it was possible. Anything was possible nowadays.

The plodding of the hooves of the horses was starting to grate on the nerves of the swordsman. He really wasn't used to such long travels ahorse. He decided then and there that he really prefered walking to riding. From the way the horse beneath him was acting, Dentor could guess it was holding similar thoughts. Or maybe it was just reacting to his rather sour mood. Denthor shrugged. It didn't really matter which, as long as the beast got him where he was going.

Harad. The name beckoned. Denthor felt himself smile a bit. This would be a very interesting trip indeed. Especially if the tribal people could be convinced to come together for a while. Denthor, in his own sort of curosity for the desert folk, had begun a history of sorts on them though much information was missing. Besides securing trading treaties with a few tribes, Denthor hoped to make a bit of headway on his history.

The third traveler with Stef and Denthor was dressed in a thick cloak though the growing heat as they moved south made for uncomfortable wear. The third traveler wasn't awake. Somehow this one had fallen asleep on the horse and was riding in the baking sun wrapped in a cloak so hot looking it made Stefan sweat just thinking about it. He shook his head and returned his eyes to the road, just between his mount's ears. The third member of the party was decidely odd. Not that they weren't all odd together, but Stef singled this one out. This traveler was very odd.

He wondered vaguely why 'odd' always seemed to be synonomyous with 'an adventure'. Well, he would see.

OOc// Well, if you got through all that, maybe you can now go check the OOc to see what the heck I'm talking about.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Wayward Vagabonds
on: June 03, 2006 12:01
Scýne was hot and tired and very irritable. She said nothing, as usual, just giving Krystan a dirty look from time to time.

They had been staying at a lovely inn until a week ago, when Krys had gotten angry with a delightful young man who had bought her a drink and punched him out.

That young man was the owner of the inn's son.

So now, for the past week, they had been sleeping on the cold, hard ground, and even trying to keep warm under two thick blankets had not kept away as much of the cold as they could have. Plus it had rained the first night, and the second, so the blankets had been very damp to sleep under.

Scýne continued to glare at krystan until he noticed, and then she passed him a note.

The boy was not going to do anything to me, Krystan. He was merely buying me a drink! We could have had a lovely time, staying there in luxury, but no, you had to go and completely ruin it for us with your temper. I am thoroughly disgusted with you.

Also, I need a bath, so we will be stopping at the next stream so I can take one.

She turned her face away from him and refused to look at him while he read the note. He should have known nothing would happen. She was his, and never desired the touch of any other, nor would she tolerate anyone trying anything with her.

Scýne had met Krystan ages ago, it seemed. She had been barely 18 the first time she had laid eyes on the handsome half-elf, and they had made eyes at each other the whole time she had been singing that night at the Drunken Boar. That night, the tavern owner had tried to force himself on her, and she had fought back, and had had her tongue cut out so she could not tell anyone. She had gone back to the tavern the following night, only because the tavern owner had threatened to kill her if she did not show up, and the patrons had been so drunk they had not even noticed that she was singing only the melody and not the words to her songs.

All except Krystan. He had noticed, and followed her home that night. He had caught the tavern owner trying to get his way again, and he had killed the man to save Scýne. From that moment, as she they fled hand in hand, she knew she loved Krystan beyond anything else in the world, and would give everything for him.

She fidgeted on her horse and looked over at him as he finished reading the note.

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 05:05
OOC Sal….Hope you don’t mind me posting..I’ll delete/ edit if you don’t like!

Krystan knew exactly what Scyne was thinking even before she had given him the note.
He too had not wanted to leave the comfort of the Inn. In fact, he had almost signed a contract with a very rich .er…’client’ which would have brought him and his nightingale a fortune.
Krystan hated cold and rain.

But.

The man should not have gone near his Scyne.

Krys had seen what men could do. What evil they could weave.
Once was enough. Scyne’s hurt at the hands of a leering, over lustful brute of a man had driven a deep mistrust of humankind into the half –elf.

Krystan’s possessive, caring love for Scyne , would never allow any male near her in that way ever again .

Krystan sighed, and screwed the note into a ball then threw it hard at a tree. He had no choice.
Scyne could weave him around her little finger and back again. Krystan did not care.

“Scyne girl”, the half –elf eased his shoulders and pushed dark red hair behind a jewel pierced pointed ear, “ You shall have your bath.
Before long they reached a stream that ran into a deep, crystal sun streaked pool.
“Your bath madam”, The red haired half elf slid from his horse’s back , then went to help Scyne from her horse.

Krystan sat at near a tree at the edge of the pool while she bathed.
“Well Mor” Krystan ruffed the huge black hound’s neck fur., “ I wonder where tonight will find us” .
Mor growled a playful growl , then pricked his ears. The growl now for real.

The half elf turned sharply.. More Elf than human , he had heard the sound of someone approaching as clearly as the hound had.

“Scyne”, he snapped , “Get yourself covered girl, we have visitors”.

[Edited on 4/6/2006 by elflyn]

[Edited on 8/6/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 05:29
((*promptly insersts herself into the thread* Will edit if it isn't acceptable... *grins*))

Kemen had had a decidedly horrible two days of travel. Everything had been going fine, until two days ago. Two days ago, it had rained. All of the elf's gear had gotten wet, along with the elf himself, having been unable to find shelter anywhere relatively dry. Normally, that wouldn't have been much of a problem, except the next day, Summe, the elf's piebald mare, had slipped on a patch of wet ground coming down a hill and had been lamed. So he had been forced to walk her.

"C'mon, girl!" Kemen whispered to the horse. "I know it hurts, but you're gonna have to wait until we reach the next settlement before you can rest! It wouldn't be good to rest here, and you know it." In reply, Summe snorted in his face.

"Fine!" Kemen threw up his hands in disgust and swung the reins over her head. "If you want to stay here, you can stay here! It doesn't matter to me if you get eaten by wolves." The elf stalked off.

A ways away, a hawk came swooping down and landed on his shoulder. The silver and black bird nipped sharply at his hair and screeched in his ear. Kemen shooed the bird away and clapped his hand over his ear before turning back around and marching back to his horse. She bit his shoulder.

"Females," he muttered, taking his horse's lead and walking her slowly onwards. The hawk came back and landed on the elf's shoulder again. He glared at it. "You're going to get in trouble one of these days, Hwesta."

About a hundred yards away, the three could see water sparkling in the sunlight. At the prospect of drinking something, Summe nudged her elf in the back and picked up her pace a little bit. Kemen patted her neck and allowed her to lead him on towards the water.

When he got there, he was slightly surprised to see two others there already. He stopped, and Summe nudged him along for that action. Releasing the reins, he let her drink while he looked at the other two.

"Greetings," he called.

[Edited on 4/6/06 by Nimeneth]
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 06:44
This was not helping her already kindled temper. Why? Why did she just have to fall for a noble who was, of course, already engaged, and just had to get all mixed up with him and trying to run away, then of course get caught and be banished from the entire city, which she was starting to like!! And never be allowed to see the man she loved again!!

And now .... she was lost. No idea where she was or where she was going. .... It was not her day. After saying a few curses about the confusing paths, the hot sun, and love our heroine Tilitha, tried to look through the trees to find some kind of main road, or any other life form that wasn't a squirrel. Coming up fruitless, with a growl the woman continued straight, constantly either getting scrapped from trees and rocks, or getting leaves and twigs in her dark hair.

With her sleeves rolled up, hair tied up, and only breeches on, her leggings stored in her bag she looked like a wild woman for sure. Tilitha was feeling more and more fatigued everyday too, she needed to find food soon. Rubbing her tired eyes the woman sighed, suddenly feeling depressed and .. well lonely. But she immediately perked up when in the distance, she saw the trees thin and more light shine through. A grin grew on her face, no matter what was up there, a road, stream or just a clearing, it was something Tilitha wanted to reach.

Her fast walk turned into a run, but that was a very bad idea, because she didn't notice that the terrain took an incline. And, dear, Tilitha was not watching her feet and came in contact with a nasty root. But instead of just crashing face first into the foliaged covered ground, she kept upright but was now moving forward and trying to keep her balance at the same time. For any passer-by this spectacle would be a very humorous sight. She finally crashed out of the forest (bringing half of it in her hair and clothes) and landed on her back-side in the middle of the road.

A few growls and curses babbled from her lips, but she suddenly stopped realizing she wasn't alone. This entire time when she wasn't making a fool of herself no one was around, but the moment she looks her worst and comes out of the forest hopping on one leg, someone has to be around! Finally raising her head, she sees before her a man who obviously liked the color red, another man who seemed to be a regular ranger, or swordsman and someone wrapped in cloaks. They stared at her and she stared back ..... she finally sighed and closed her blue eyes. This day was getting so much "better".
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 06:56
“Scyne girl”, the half –elf eased his shoulders and pushed dark red hair behind a jewel pierced pointed ear, “ You shall have your bath, although why I am banned from joining you I do not know..we always share”. Krystan shrugged , “As you wish” he said trying not to allow the annoyance to show in his voice.Before long they reached a stream that ran into a deep, crystal sun streaked pool.
“Your bath madam”, The red haired half elf slid from his horse’s back , then went to help Scyne from her horse.

Scýne allowed Krystan to help her from the horse, and then pulled away from him and stomped to the edge of the pool. Disrobing quickly, she dove into the sparkling water, and popped back up to the surface, luxuriating in the feel of good, clean water on her skin.

She glanced to the edge of the pool and saw the expression on Krystan's face, and almost laughed. He was having a fit inside about not being allowed in the pool with her. Good. Let him stew. maybe next time, he would think before taking an action that would effect both of them like that.

“Scyne”, he snapped, “Get yourself covered girl, we have visitors”.

immediately, Scýne swam to the edge of the pool and clambered out, pulling a long tunic out of her pack. It had been one of Krystan's until she had "borrowed" it, and now it hung on her like a dress, keeping her body covered so she could finish dressing, which she did standing behind Krystan.

When she came out from behind him, it was just in time to see a male walking up with a limping horse and a hawk on his shoulder.

Releasing the reins, he let her drink while he looked at the other two."Greetings," he called.

Scýne looked at Krystan, waiting for him to answer. She, in turn, stepped over to the horse, and after making clucking and soothing sounds, managed to get the horse to lift her foot so she could examine it.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 12:03
The half elf stood slowly, his hand already on Mor's collar restraining the huge devil-hound from flying at the new arrival.

Krystan smiled as he stood between the stranger and Scyne, to protect her dignity as she quickly donned one of his tunics.

"Greetings", Krystan nodded a bow to the newcomer, He held tightly to Mor's collar, the hound growling deep in his throat.

"Please, allow Scyne to attend your horse, she is skilled in the healing arts".

The red haired assassin assessed the newcomer with a critical eye, " I am Krystan" he said , his hazel gaze never leaving the newcomer's face.
"This is Scyne...my" he paused.."My friend" he added with emphasis.
"What brings you here on this lonely road?"

Krystan waited, he was as yet unsure of this stranger. Every instinct told him to beware.

[Edited on 8/6/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 03:01
"Thank you," Kemen said as the young woman walked past him to tend to Summe. The mare lifted her head from the water and snuffed at the woman's hair. Absently, Kemen patted her on the flank as she lifted her leg for the woman - Scyne - to see to.

"I'm Kemen," the elf continued. "I travel this road for personal reasons. I... I lost something when I was much younger, and have been seeking it since. I've recently heard word that it may be in Harad, hence why I'm on this path."

"Frankly, I would be halfway there if it weren't for my constant bad luck," he muttered under his breath.

"What brings you and your -partner- here, if I may ask?" Kemen's green eyes flickered over the hound and he sighed. The canine didn't like him at all, and it didn't take a genius to figure that one out.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 10:03
A little ways away a she-elf named Reiya was walking through the trees with her black/silver horse Silvernight following behind her. She never went anywhere without him. Reiya stopped walking for a moment, thinking she had heard voices. When she didn't hear anything but the animals she forgot about it.

"Is this place alright with you to rest for a bit, Silvernight?"

Silvernight shook his mane and slowly laid down upon the soft ground. Reiya rolled her eyes before sitting in front of him and leaning against him. Suddenlly she heard voices coming from toward the pool just beyond the stream.

A shrill from above cause Reiya to look up. There flying above her head was her black/silver hawk, Draiko. It landed on her shoulder, nipped her ear affectionately before taking off and flying toward the voices. It landed on a branch and watchd curiously.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 02:36
Turning from watching Scyne with the horse, Krystan turned his steady gaze back to the newcomer.
“Krystan frowned slightly, Lost something?” he echoed the elf’s words, “ Well it must be important if you risk travelling to Harad to search”.

The red haired half –elf’s gaze became more intense as he studied Kemen, trying to read why the elf would even consider going anywhere near the place.

“We are here because Scyne wanted a bath”, Krystan answered with a twitch of a smile, “ We travel where my contracts and profession takes us”.
Krystan signalled to Mor to be quiet, he could see that Kemen did not trust the huge hound.
The black hound wuffed once then lay at Krystan’s feet .Always on guard, he watched Kemen’s every move, his ears flicking to catch every sound.

“So Kemen”, Krystan leant back against a tree, “ Scyne will do all she can for your horse, If she decides the animal can’t be ridden for a while, you are welcome to travel with us”, he nodded towards his own black stallion, “ Storm is strong enough to carry two”.

In an instant Mor leapt up and bounded towards a tree snarling at a black hawk that seemed to be watching them with an interest not normally seen in birds.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 09:37
Stefan was mildly surprised by the ruckus which a single female seemed capable of raising all by her lonesome. He pulled up his mount and the other two followed suit immediately. Denthor swung down off his horse and pulled out his sword, walking at a brisk clip over to the fallen female. He stared down at her, not impressed with her antics in the least. Stefan, still mounted on his chestunt palfrey sighed a bit. Denthor never had any tolerance for people who made fools from themselves... The man proved it himself when he started speaking to the young woman.

"What are you doing?" he asked, each word spoken with carefully measued venom.

Stef, hearing the tone of Denthor's voice and knowing his 'friend's' temperment well, called out to the other man. "You're not going to be very helpful if you're constantly scaring the life out of anyone we meet. You're here to help," Stefan added, glaring a bit at Denthor who was now looking at him.

With a scowl and a few choice curse words, Denthors slipped his sword back into its scabbard and reached down to roughly pull the young woman to her feet. "What are you doing here?" he reiterated flatly.

Under the thick blankets, a figure stirred. It listened with interest at the exchange between Denthor and the young woman. The third member of Stefan's group considered the implications of ridding itself of the heavy blankets, but decided to wait. After all, one thing never done, never had to be worked to be undone.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 09:59
The hawk cried at the hound but didn't move otherwise. It looked from the hound to the people who were talking. It didnt understand what was going on here or why that this creature was snarling at it. It spread it's great wings and cried again before calming down and watched.

Reiya continued to hear talking but this time it was coming from three figures just behind her. She turned around and saw three horses coming toward her. Silvernight stood up and straight behind his mistress. If something went wrong he was going to make sure he was near so she could mount him.

"Forgive me, m'lords, but where are you three heading?"

LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:15
Tilitha glared at Denthor as he pointed his sword at her, like she was a criminal! 'Look at yourself darling, your no princess either!' she thought to herself with an inward sigh. Somehow this always happened to her too, she was always in trouble whether she liked it or not.

"Ah!" she gasped as she was suddenly thrust upward, "Thanks," she grumbled sarcastically, staring to pick leaves and twigs out of her hair. As she did so she answered the question the swordsman asked.

"I don't know what I'm doing here. All I know is that I don't know where I am, I'm out of food, and -ow!" she suddenly stopped as she tried to pull out a twig that had entangled itself deeply into her hair and ended up pulling out a good hand full of hair from her already messy ponytail, "I'm a mess," she finished throwing the twig away and trying to re-do her hair.

"What about yourselves?" she asked sarcastically cheerful, her hair more neatly up, and her hands now resting on her hips and a fake tired smile on her face.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:47
Denthor grimaced slightly as he looked at Stefan. 'You want me to be nice?' he mouthed to his companion, knowing the red-head could lip read easily. 'Well, here's nice for you.' With a falsely bright smile that didn't reach his eyes, Denthor swept into a low bow, backing up a pace as he did so in order to keep from hitting his head against the young woman. "We," he stated grandly, motioning behind him to include the other two in his statement, "are traveling to Harad to collect."

Stef noted cynically that Denthor failed to say exactly what it was they were going to Harad to 'collect'. Now why is he always doing that? Stefan asked himself. Oh, wait, I remember! He's amazingly adept at making people trust in him at once. Any mention of the possibilities behind our mission could do something bad. Theatrical sigh. Such times were hard.

"Forgive me, m'lords, but where are you three heading?"

Stef startled out of his thoughts, turned his head to regard the rather strange looking young woman coming towards them. He noted right away that she was rather out of place here. Actually, if he paused to consider it, both young women were amazingly out of place. For one thing, they were traveling alone, if it could be believed. Anyone of sense knew it was simply too dangerous to travel alone on roads or in the wilderness, yet here these two were, doing just that! It defied logic. Stefan glanced back at Denthor who seemed to be handling the first young woman quite well. He swung down off his chestnut palfrey and strode forward to meet the second young woman, putting on his most charming look as he did so.

"Alas, fair maiden," Stef said genially. "We three are traveling south to Harad, and quite lost we seem to be at the moment..." He stopped his soon-to-be-speech to glance back at Denthor, making sure of two things - first that the man hadn't cut off the other young woman's head and second that Denthor wasn't listening to what Stef himself was saying. He had no intention of letting his rather ferocious companion discover that he was a tad dismayed by the scope of the region.

"It seemeth to me, though, that we three are soon to be four," Stef added, waving his hand vaguely behind him to indicate Denthor. "My friend there seems to capture more than his fair share of hearts, you see." He gave her a wink. "Though perhaps we shall number five, should you yourself think to join us." He left the opening for her to take.

Come on little fishy. Take the nice bait...
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 11:44
Tilitha crossed her arms and looked unimpressed by the show. She'd only been on the road for eight years, not quite a veteran, but she wasn't stupid. She'd learned the hard way about charming young men ... a few times.

She turned to look down the way the odd trio was heading.

"Harad you say?" the squeaky wheels in her head were starting to turn. At least she now knew where south was! But where to go from here? She turned back to see the man before her seemingly nonthreatening but his gaze was making her uncomfortable, and annoyed. You didn't have to tell her twice that she wasn't trusted at the moment, and the feeling was mutual.

Her attention was caught just for a second by the red-head and newcomer, probably also getting some story, she just hoped the girl had a head on her shoulders.

"All right, all right!" she finally said after getting her wits back together, "Here's the deal, sir. I come along with you - don't worry I'll stay in the back, I'll even pay you if you want - I just need to get out of here and back to civilization, so as soon as we come to a road back west or north, I'm out of your hair. Sound good?" she winced at the pain in her stomach, "The only act of courtesy I ask for is some food ... please?" she tried to smile as sweetly as she could.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 03:45
Reiya thought about it and smiled at the winked before rolling her eyes. "Well, I can safely say that I won't be one of his 'fair share of hearts'. I'm not that easy to persuade." She looked at the other man and the other woman before sighing. She looked back to the man in front of her and smiled.

"I'll come with you and your companions. I'm heading to Harad myself. But I'll only go if you keep him," glaring at his friend, "away from me."

Reiya's horse Silvernight looked at the man standing in front of his mistress. He shook his mane and nuzzled his nose against Reiya's arm.

Reiya smiled as she petted her horse. "Can you do that?" She stared into his green eyes with her blue ones.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 09:58
Denthor looked thoughtfully at the young woman and then nodded. "Yes, we can arrange for that," he said gallantly. "Hold for a moment?" The swordsman's steps carried him easily to his horse and saddlebags and back, bearing a few choice food items. He held out an odd looking fruit to Tilitha. "Here you are," he offered, a gentle smile on his face.

He'd noticed earlier that this particular young woman - he'd noted the arrival of the second as well - was more the type that seemed used to the road. She boasted a belt having a trio of weapons - two swords of varying lengths and a dagger. Denthor also scrutinized her appearence most carefully, making sure he would never forget this particular individual. Her eyes were a vivid blue and the hair hanging past her waist was dark and thick. She looked to be around twenty or so, he decided. The makings of a dancer - or fighter - characterized her well. The look on her face also informed him that she would not be easily impressed. That was good.

"What is your name?" he inquired after she accepted the fruit. He was most curious about her now. He liked the idea of her traveling with them.

Stef took careful note of how this young woman reacted to his jibe about Denthor. She seemed easy-going enough, but the fact that she had been alone at all on the road worried him. Of course, he wouldn't let that particular emotion show. Stef was like the sun, always shining with the vibrancy of life, even if it was only pretend at times.

He cast a glance back at Dethor yet again, in time to see his companion offering a fruit to the first young woman. Too many females to keep track of, Stef thought good-naturedly. "Of course I can keep him away from you," Stef said. "He generally relies on his own too-good looks to draw the lovelies to him, you know. If you leave him alone, I do believe I can convince him to do the same." Stef winked. "So, what is your name?" he inquired. "I am Stefan and my friend you so conspicuously have taken dislike to is Denthor."
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 11:22
"It... it's very important to me," Kemen said softly. "If it's not just a rumor." He was still a bit startled by his outburst of boldness earlier, wondering why he had spoken to them in the first place. Must have been something to do with his animals refusing to cooperate.

He shot a glare at Hwesta, who was sitting calmly on Summe's back, watching Scyne work on Summe's hoof. The goshawk obviously knew Kemen was glaring at her, but she decided to ignore him.

“ Scyne will do all she can for your horse, If she decides the animal can’t be ridden for a while, you are welcome to travel with us”, he nodded towards his own black stallion, “Storm is strong enough to carry two”.

"Thank you," Kemen replied, softly again. "I... I've never encountered travelers as kind as you two are before."

Smiling shyly, Kemen walked downstream a little bit, feeling that Summe was in safe hands. Meanwhile, his thoughts were whirling - something that happened quite often when he met travelers on the road - and he didn't like the path they were taking.

Kemen found Krystan very attractive. He hated when this happened with people he was going to travel with - made things undeniably ackward for all parties involved, normally because the other person didn't swing that way. Kemen was very much looking forward to more sleepless nights filled with troubled thoughts - not.

Sighing, Kemen looked at the path he had come from before turning and looking back to what lay before him. It was such a long way to go...!
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 01:25
A small smile lit up her face as she took the fruit and immediately chewed away, not caring about its oddness. As she swallowed, she noticed she'd been asked another question.

"My name's Tilitha, shorten it however you like if you like." she said automatically. "And you and your companion's names are?" she asked taking another bite of the fruit highly enjoying the feeling of food in her stomach.

Tilitha had always been the adventurous one in the family, unlike her beautiful little sister. While she went off with mother to shop, Til stayed home with her best friend to practice sword fighting. Once she started traveling, or ran away to be more specific, the practice had helped, but she definitely got her share of wounds. Her leg still hurt now and then ....

As she glanced at the swordsman she noticed he was fairly the same height as her. Which was a plus for her, it meant he couldn't tower over her. She also noticed he wasn't that rugged looking as a regular swordsman might. But she knew appearance meant nothing, just something on the outside to cover up the inside... another thing she learned the hard way.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 08:33
“So”, Krystan called after Kemen as he walked a little further down stream, “ You intend to travel to Harad on the basis of some rumour?”

The red haired half elf arched an eyebrow, and leant further back against the tree.
“Then you must either be very brave, or very stupid”.

Krystan pushed his long hair back and smiled a half smile, “Oh, no offence meant. Just that I find it hard to understand why, that’s all”.
The half elf shrugged, then moved away from the tree, “Whatever , you are still welcome to travel with us as far as you like”.
“Kind?” Krystan thought, “He thinks me kind, well he won’t if he finds out my profession”.

Krystan walked towards Scyne as she tended the horse “Mor! Be quiet” he snapped at the hound. “It’s only a bird”.
Mor slunk back to lay down with a flop under a tree , a low growl still rumbling in his throat.

“Scyne girl” Krystan stood at her side , looking at the horse, “Well, is the animal fit to ride, or does Kemen here have to ride with me on Storm?.”

Krystan looked at the sky as if trying to judge the time of day, “We can’t stay here forever, we must move on soon”.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 08:57
Scýne shook her head. She pulled out the parchment and wrote, This horse is very lucky it did not break its leg. She is barely fit to walk herself, let alone be ridden by anyone, Krystan. There is swelling and much tenderness, which indicates a severe contusion under the skin, probably as deep as the bone, and there seems to be something wrong with the ligaments, although until the swelling goes down, I will not be able to tell exactly what it is.

She sang out a note to Mor, and the dog happily trotted at her heels to the side of her horse, walking along beside it as Scýne prepard to leave. She motioned to Kemen to mount up with Krystan and silently waited for the two of them to be ready to go.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 04:11
"I thank you kindly for the tip and will keep it in mind." She smiled at him. "As to my name Stefan, it's Reiya." She looked around and noticed that her hawk was flying back toward her. It looked into her eyes and after a moment she smiled. "This is my friend, Draiko. Draiko, meet Stefan. We will be travelling with him to Harad."

The hawk looked at Stefan before crying, flying over to his shoulder and nipping his ear in a friendly affection. Reiya smiled and shook her head.

"If you're worried about the fact that I've been on the road alone, don't be. I don't really trust alot of people. After being beaten almost to death and a few other terrible experiences I sometimes rather travel alone with Silvernight and Draiko. They keep me safe."
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 10:16
Stefan grinned as the hawk nibbled delicately on his earlobe. With one hand he reached up to stroke the birds breast feathers. The hawk - Draiko - seemed very friendly for a bird of prey. Stef offered his hand to the bird and it stepped down delicatly. He handed the hawk back to Reiya. "He's a beautiful bird," Stefan told Reiya. "I can see why you keep him with you - he's awfully friendly for a hunter. Even the cats I used to train weren't as friendly as he is. You've a treasure in him."

Stef retreated for a moment and then came back again, holding the reins of his mount. "This is my pride and joy," he told Reiya. The mare eyed the young woman with curosity. "As long as you behave yourself, I'll let you go," Stef said sternly to the horse. The mare bobbed her head and Stef let go of her reins, twisting them up around the saddle so she wouldn't trip over them. "Be nice," he cautioned her. Again the mare bobbed her head. Then she set about examining Reiya carefully, and Draiko as well, nudging the bird gently with her nose.

"This is Juniper," Stef informed Reiya. "She's been with me for a long time. I know her almost better than I know myself. I know she knows me better than most people do." He grinned broadly when the mare nuzzled Reiya's shoulder. "She's saying she likes you," he said.

Denthor nodded. "Tilithia. It has a pretty sound to it." He turned a little so he was standing beside her rather than in front of her. "The one with hair too red to be real is Stefan. He's the most annoying of the lot of people I've been annoyed by. He has his uses, I suppose, though. No one is ever really on guard when Stef's around. He has an almost magical way of putting people at their ease.

"The one who's so bundled up in fabric you can't even see a face is Dalsa. That's the only thing we know." Denthor frowned. "We haven't even seen his face... Not all trip, or even before when he made the contacts with us. Strangest would be him, I guess. Especially with the heavy blankets in this terrible heat. It'll be even worse in Harad, though."

He paused thoughtfully. "A few more days should put us across the River Poros. After that we're well on our way to Harad. A week or so on the Harad Road will bring us where we want to go." Another pause. "Will you be coming with us?"

OOc// Yes, I know Dalsa is female, but of course Dennie is going to assume that she's male just because he can. He hasn't seen her face or heard her voice, remember, and a lone female traveling is tres rare.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 10:39
Til looked to Stefan grinning at Denthor's description of him. Stefan definitely stood out, and just from the way he stood she could tell he had a different kind of personality. Her eyes moved to Dalsa, a person all covered up like that made her uneasy and she took another bite of the fruit to calm herself.

She listened to where the trio was headed and thought for a moment before turning to Denthor.

"Well, I really have no reason to go to Harad. Like I said I might just stay close to your party until I can find a sure way back north without getting lost again. ... River Poros.. " she trailed off back into her thoughts, trying to put herself on a map. She suddenly realized she was a bit stuck. If she followed the river back north .. that might work or just get her completely lost again. She sighed then finally said, "I'll come as far as the river, and then decide from there if I'll continue on or risk following the river back north."

Finishing her fruit she smiled licking her lips, "Thanks again .. uh I didn't catch your name?"
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 12:34
"She's beautiful." Reiya said as she laughed lightly. "It's a pleasure to meet you Juniper. And I like you too." As she gently ran her hand on the mare's nose she motioned for her horse to step closer.

"This is Silvernight. He's my pride and joy. I've had him since he was a colt. His coat is a mystery. One minute it's black and the next it's shinning like silver, in sunlight or moonlight."

Silvernight walked closer to Stefan as he checked him out. He seemed friendly enough but he didn't quite trust him. He backed away from Stefan's hand moved. Silvernight neighed then grunted before looking at the mare. He shook his mane before nuzzling his mistress' pocket, asking for a treat.

"Silvernight, you fool. Always wanting a treat, huh?" She pulled out a sugar treat and gave to him. Then she took another out and carefully offered it to Juniper.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 04:11
Kemen watched the exchange between Scyne and Krystan with some interest. The young woman seemed to communicate by passing notes, which made Kemen wonder if there was something keeping her from speaking. His thoughts were broken as Scyne motioned him to mount with Krystan.

"Alright," Kemen said quietly. He approached Summe to speak to her. "Sorry, girl," he whispered to her. "I guess we've got to be more careful, huh?" The mare nuzzled him in the shoulder and he rubbed her forehead. "I've got really bad luck, don't I?" On Summe's back, Hwesta bobbed her head in agreement. Kemen glared at the goshawk. "I wasn't asking you anything."

After a few moments of whispering in elvish to her, Kemen turned back to the other two and approached Krystan. "Are we going, then?" he asked the half-elf quietly.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 08:28
Finishing her fruit she smiled licking her lips, "Thanks again .. uh I didn't catch your name?"

"Forgive my insolence at forgetting to introduce myself - I am Denthor." He gave Tilithia a disarming smile and a half-bow. "I do hope you shall continue with us beyond the river. It is rather lonesome when the only speech one hears is his own voice or that of his companion speaking with a horse!" Denthor sincerely hoped he'd put Tilithia at her ease. Also, he recognized the kindred spirit that she could possibly be. He felt a kinship with this stranger-of-the-road. That knowledge distressed him a little, but not as much as he would have thought it would. Perhaps this would work out for the best.

One ran into fights on the road, after all, and Stefan the Dreamer would not be of much help with road bandits, Denthor believed. But this female looked to be the type of fighter Denthor would gladly ally himself with and not take lightly. Coming from him, such a conclusion was high praise indeed.

Juniper delicately stretched out her neck to pick up the treat from Reiya's hand. So daintily did she pick up the treat, her satin muzzle barely wisped across the young woman's palm. She nickered thanks for it and then frisked back to Denthor's horse and the third traveler's mount.

"And that was Juniper," Stef said, watching his mare. "She's quite a lovely thing. As is your own horse," he added, when introduced to Silvernight. He offered a hand to the horse, but the stallion was having none of it. Instead of allowing Stef to touch him, he shied back away. "Finicky lad, are you?" Stefan laughed.

He checked the sun on the horizon. It was getting lower. The day was fast drawing to a close. "If we hurry, we should be able to make camp a ways from here," Stef mused. "C'mon, Denthor," he called to his companion who was still conversing with that young woman over there. "We'll need to be moving off if we want to get where we're going on schedule." Without waiting for an answer, Stef jogged over to Juniper and gracefully jumped up into the saddle. He nudged her gently with his heels. "Let's get going," he barked harshly at Denthor, who was still procrastinating. "We'll not make it before sundown if we don't move now, and I have no intention of traveling in the dark."

Denthor ignored the first calls from the redhead, but the reminder of traveling in the dark made him grimace. He didn't want to ride in the dark if he could help it. The horses weren't meant to go in the dark and it was very possible one of them could break a leg. No, it was time to go. "Come with us?" he asked Tilithia, swinging up into his gelding's saddle at the same time. "Please?"

Stef put them to a grueling pace, figuring that he had maybe a good mark of decent daylight. That would be just enough to make it to the planned place for stopping.

"We're here." He dismounted with a grunt. Too long in the saddle gets anyone. He looked back over his shoulder and decided Denthor was sharing similar sentiments. It was only then, tired as he was, that Stef noticed a pair of voices near the soon to be camp. He thought about sending Denthor out to see what it was, but the problem resolved itself as three people came into view.

OOc// Couldn't stand separation! *suffers separation from Nimmy&Elflyn's character's disorder*
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 09:16
((I'm really sorry but I'm going on vacation for two weeks.. and I'm not sure if I'll be in contact with a computer.. so hopefully when i get back i'll be able to come in again. Sorry again! ))

As the air started to cool off while they set up their camp Tilitha shivered and quickly rolled down her sleeves, and pulled on her leggings tying them on tight. As she was slipping her boots back on she too heard the voices and her hand automatically went to her short sword's handle. Her eyes squinted to see who or what was coming up the road. From what she could see they all looked human, and their costumes' seemed normal too, not like the clothes of bandits. Three horses as well were with them, one lame, she shook her head slightly to remove some hair from her face as she said mostly to Denthor.

"They don't look too dangerous," she hand slowly moved from her sword as she spoke, "though I've gotten some scars from so called innocent travelers. But they seem harmless." she shrugged as the trio came closer.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 09:44
Silvernight neighed again as his mistress mounted then stood on his hind legs and neighed again, like he was calling to the forest. Reiya smiled and laughed as she allowed him to 'show off'.

Once she caught up to Stef she smiled. "Silvernight is just very protective of me. He doesn't trust many males of any race, except for hobbits."

After awhile they heard voices before three figures, as well as three horses, came toward them. Draiko cried as he fly over to them, cried at the hound then flew back to his mistress, landing on her shoulder.

"Whether dangerous or not we should be on guard." Reiya was starting to get alittle uncomfortable around so many men, whether mortal or elf. Draiko noticed and started nuzzling her cheek while softly 'singing' to her.

Reiya slowly started to calm down and smiled at Stef when she noticed he was watching the scene. She then blushed and bowed her head slightly, before brushing Silvernight's mane with her hand.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 06:53
OOc// Soooooo sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Here goes.

Stefan watched the three of them come into the ring of firelight. Two of them - the tall and slender male and a blonde haired female he dismissed easily enough after looking them both over carefully. With very little effort, Stef ascertained that these two were a pairing in themselves. Then he looked to the third member of the group, a little off from the other two and his breath caught in his throat.

A dark haired, lithe and slender shadow-shape floated just outside the ring of firelight. Stef watched him - he was sure it was a him - carefully, noting how soft the steps this one took were. Hesitant, and cautious, Stef decided. A few flames danced up high enough for Stef to really see the third traveler's face. It was pale, beautifully sculpted and those eyes! For a long moment Stef just stood there. Finally he wrenched his gaze away from the third and began the introductions to keep Denthor from drawing his sword and challenging these to a fight right away.

"Welcome, and well come!" Stefan cried, leaping forward closer to the fire so anyone who wanted to could see him well. "What brings you travelers three to our humble fireside?" Ever the actor, Stef poured as much drama into what he said -and more importantly how he said it - as possible. They wouldn't be forgetting him anytime soon.

Back at the horses Denthor snarled and let go of the hilt of his sword. Thrice-cursed, pompous poppinjay. Stef needed to learn his place wasn't the stage, Denthor decided. Well, that would be a lesson for another day. Right now the surly fighter only wanted to get the forced intorductions over with so he could retire to his tent and sleep. Oh yes, sleep sounded like the havens right now. If only Stefan would shut up.

Dalsa shifted, trying to decide whether to dismout or not. The horse took care of the problem, dumping its rider rather uncerimonously onto the ground. Dalsa sighed and curled up in the blankets. It looked like sleep would be found here, tonight.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 08:00
Scýne was a bit disconcerted by the appearance of the others. She stepped over to Krystan, standing slightly behind him, Mor moving over to stand by her side. She laid a hand reassuringly on the massive hound's neck to keep him calm, and she looked at Krystan as if she did not know what to do.

Scýne really did not like strangers. She was afraid of them, mostly, and afraid of what they would say if they knew she could not speak. She had nightmares all the time, about what had happened to her, of it happening again, of all sorts of terrifying things. When she slept, Scýne seemed to resort to being almost a child, needing the protection of Krystan even more when she was in the land of dreams.

She studied the group of strangers and nudged Krystan in the back.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 08:17
Reiya looked at the woman and smiled. Draiko flew over to her, landed on her shoulder and affectionately nibbled her ear. He wanted her to know that no harm was going to come to her from him or his mistress.

Reiya watched the scene and then looked at the hound that was growling at Draiko. She shook her head before calling Draiko over, knowing full well that he was going to stay right hwere he was until the woman felt safe.

Reiya knew how the young woman felt. She didn't like strangers one bit, and could tell the young woman didn't either. She smiled warmly at her.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 09:27
((Yay, I found a computer! But I think this will be the only one.. *sad face* until the 24th .. but who knows lol))

Til took a better look at the travelers now that they were closed up. Yes, they seemed harmless the one girl actually seemed scared. Stef was acting .. weird she tried to just ignore him and focus on the information about the newcomers. Denthor was just grumpy, and Til was getting fairly irked herself, it had been a long well ... month for her. And the one in the cloak was already sleeping it seemed.

Til just sighed pulling her own cloak out and slipping it over her shoulders and she sat herself down by the fire listening to those around her. She watched as Reiya's bird landed on the other girl's shoulder Til smiled slightly then ran a hand over her hair. Watching the fire she started to become sleepy but wanted to heard the travelers' names and reason for being here. Yawning she crossed her arms and deciding to watch the show Stef was putting on.

She suddenly became slightly homesick though she knew she could never go back home, even though she promised her sister. She shook her head trying to shake the feeling and tried to think of other things, like where to go once they reached the river...

((Kind of a pointless post but oh well))
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 12:19
((Overdue in posting, but I shall remedy that now! *hugs teh Sal*))

Setting off down the road at a slow pace, due to the hound and Summe, Kemen shifted uncomfortably behind Krystan. It wasn't that riding pillion itself was uncomfortable - it was the fact that the rider before him was a) quite attractive and b) totally unavailable for advances, had Kemen wanted to make advances anyways. He inwardly sighed and glanced over his shoulder at where Summe was following.

Dusk was following when he first spotted the campfire in the distance. He stared around Krystan's shoulders to make sure he wasn't seeing anything before he motioned in that direction.

"There's a campfire. Other travelers, perhaps?" he asked quietly. He seriously had his doubts about it, though, considering it was very unusual to come across travelers on the road who were friendly. Several unhappy encounters enforced that truth. He dismounted from Krystan's horse and fell behind them to walk beside Summe.

"More people?" he whispered to Summe. The horse snorted and bobbed her head. He was already well outside his comfort zone, traveling with Krystan and Scyne as he was. He wasn't sure if he could take interactions with more people - it made hiding from conversation that much more difficult. He was very unhappy when Scyne and Krystan headed straight for the fire.

As the pair before him dismounted and stepped cautiously into the firelight, but Kemen lingered barely outside the light, trying to size up those around the fire. They didn't look dangerous, and certainly didn't act it - especially the one in red. He certainly had a like for the color. And a dramatic personality to match. Curious and somewhat compelled to speak to the man - a strange thing in and of itself - Kemen took a few more cautious steps into the firelight.

There, he paused, taking in the campsite quickly and curiously. Hwesta, disturbed by the stop, lifted her head from the shelter of her wing and flew over to perch on Kemen's shoulder. No, they certainly didn't look dangerous. Kemen let his eyes be drawn back to the figure in red.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 04:27
Stef noticed right away that the third figure was looking at him. He could feel the eyes, like they were burning holes in him, but instead of facing the traveler, he bowed slightly to the pair. "Ah, but I have been careless. Names and smiles before anything else, yes?" Stef grinned and answered his own question. "But of course! I am Stefan, or Stef if you prefer. These my companions -" he motioned to Denthor, the girls and Dasla, "are going with me to Harad." He paused for dramatic effect, which worked rather well, considering Denthor took the opportunity to interrupt.

"To collect," the surly swordsman said, placing a delicate emphasis on the last word.

Stef picked up the message well enough. He hadn't traveled with Denthor for several months and not learned the basic ins and outs of the man's personality, after all! "Yes," he agreed right away. "To collect." He shot Denthor a wink, and motioned for the swordsman to add in a bit.

Denthor shook his head firmly. He wanted no part in this crazy ventue his not-so-slightly-insane comrade was making. No, this swordsman would wait on the sidelines to get a good background on his opponent before jumping into the melee. He actually cared about some things besides dramatic effect, for one thing. To Denthor's view, there could only be so much drama in one day before the day itself began to go sour. Stef pushed that limit far too often.

"My friends are as follows," Stefan said, a little less bouncy than he'd been moments before. "Denthor is sword-wielder. Beside him, Tilithia. The hawk-woman is Reiya." He paused significantly, casting a brief glance towards the pile of blankets now on the ground. For a brief moment he was a bit uncertain about the wisdom of introducing that particular traveler. He came to his decision quickly enough. Nothing unsaid had to be undone, but trust was difficult to garner in strange travelers on the road. He would take his chances. "The one there," he said, pointing to the pile that was Dalsa, "is the fifth traveler in our small group. That is Dalsa."

Stef's eyes flicked back to the third one and this time stayed. He moved, slowly, almost imperceptibly, shifting weight from one foot to the other. Then he turned a little more, putting himself closer to the fire than was prudent and squarely facing the stranger, at an angle now to the pair. He heard Denthor move up behind him and nodded to himself. This would be interesting indeed. Especially if the fluttery feelings he had meant anything.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email