Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Wayward Vagabonds
on: June 14, 2006 06:50
When the bird perched on Scýne's shoulder and nibbled her ear, she reached up and stroked the bird's feathers and then looked down at Mor and shook her head. The dog dropped at her feet and she looked at Krystan with a look of triumph on her face, grinning and eyebrows raised. She had said(in writing) all along that Mor listened better to her signals than to Krys's commands, and this proved it.

She turned her head and listened to Stefan talk and introduce himself and the members of his group. She smiled slightly and nodded at each one, and then signalled to Krys that he should introduce the three of them.

In the meantime, she also noted the movements of the men, and although she tried not to show any sign in her face or actions, she prepared herself for attack.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 10:49
“Then we go on”, Krystan said as he saw that Scyne and Kemen were ready to leave.

Krystan seemed lost in his thoughts as they rode slowly. He had to find another contract soon.
The lucrative contract he had all but secured , was lost when his powerful , over protective love of Scyne drove him to almost kill that man who had got too close.

The half – elf was about to tell Kemen to stop fidgeting behind him, when th elf pointed out the campfire.

Krystan slid carefully from his horse as they approached the camp. He was already aware that Kemen had already moved back. Krystan missed nothing. That was what he was paid to do after all.

The red haired assassin sensed Scyne’s nervous uncertainty as they approached the camp, “ I am here Scyne girl” , he whispered to her softly, “No one shall harm you , or even get close”.
Krystan slid a hand back to entwine it with hers as they stopped at the edge of the firelight. Reassuring her with his bold , calm presence as he always did. No one would ever harm his nightingale. Not while he lived.

Krystan said nothing at first , as Stef welcomed their small group, and introduced his own.
Krystan assessed each of the other group quickly , with well trained assassin’s eyes.
Those hazel eyes taking in every detail , and every subtle move made by them, however slight they may seem.

Krystan was a deadly expert in his profession, he knew better than to trust appearances and false friendship in another’s voice.

Stef was different. His dramatics intrigued the assassin. However, Krystan trusted no one…It paid not to.. Only his Scyne ,and his animals had his rarely given trust.

Krystelfyn was distracted slightly as Scyne acknowledged a bird, and pretended not to notice her smile of triumph when his hound Mor again obeyed her silent commands 100% better than the damned hound did any of his commands.
Male pride stopped him acknowledging the fact!

“I am Krystan”, the half elf almostfell forward at Scyne’s insistent nudge that he intouduce themselves.

“This is Scyne, my hound Mor, and..” Krystan glanced back to look for Kemen.
He paused, silent for a moment as he read something, something he could not place , “The third of our party is Kemen” Krystan paused again , then continued. “He has only recently joined us, his horse is lame, he travels with us for as long as he wishes”.

Krystelflyn’s close bond with Scyne let him sense her every mood , her every desire, he sensed her unease sharply.
The half – elf slid one of his discreet, four slender daggers into the palm of his hand.

If it was a fight they wanted. He was ready.

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 03:57
"Then we bid you, Kyrstan, Scyne and Kemen welcome," Stef said with a low, sweeping bow more fit to a stage than a wilderness setting. He resumed his full height and gave a winning smile. Put them at ease, was all he thought. If anyone makes a false move - I do not want to be around if Denthor starts a fight. Which he will, if they are even slightly out of sorts. Please calm down? They didn't seem to look any easier with the situation, and Stef made sure to shoot a warning glance to Denthor whose hand was too close to the hilt of his sword for any comfort.

"Come, join us by the fire," the red-head invited, directing this invitation mostly at the 'third party' Krystan had identified as being Kemen. "We don't bite. Well," Stef ammended his own thought, "not all that hard, anyway." He hoped the humor would lighten the mood slightly. Everyone was too tense for him to properly relax. And how was he supposed to get others to be at ease when he was too tense to think properly? It didn't help that his stomach was doing flip-flops either....

Denthor growled but moved his hand from the pummel of his sword at Stefan's warning glare. He didn't want any real confrontation with the red-head. Stef may look very much like a delicate flower, but Denthor knew first hand that he could wield a sword - or any other edged weapon for that matter! - as well as any man alive. Reluctantly he became cheerful. Inside he was still looking Krystan over, wondering what sort of fighting this one did.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 05:57
Scýne pulled at Krystan's hand, and snapped her fingers at Mor. She handled the bird and let it go back to its master, and went over and sat down near the fire, pulling out her quill and parchment from her pack. She began writing quickly in her neat, precise hand.

Please excuse Krystan's behaviour. He is rather wary of everyone we meet. It is a habit with him, particularly when the other travelers are male, just as it is Mor's habit to remain at my side and be defensive when there are strangers around.

I thought I heard you say you were going to Harad. That is one place I have never been. Would you mind perhaps if we accompanied you? I'm sure even if Krystan objects, he will change his mind. He is seeking employment, and perhaps he could find it there.

She passed the parchment over to Stefan, and smiled at him as she gently patted the big dog's head and the hound lay down next to her after carefully positioning himself between Scýne and Stefan.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 02:33
Stefan accepted the parchment with a bit of confusion. He read it and nodded a little. "Anyone on a road has ample cause to be wary of strangers," Stef poionted out logically. "And we all are creatures of habit." He reread the last few lines quickly. "I would not mind at all for our company to be graced by you," he said slowly. "And the more on the road the safer it will be as well." A grin spread across his face. "I don't see any reason not to let you join us."

Did he just - no. No, no and no. You did not just invite that group to join us! Denthor moaned mentally. Why - why? Would it kill you to actually get something done in a straightforward manner once? No, don't bother answering that. I'm not sure I'd want to hear the answer.

The swordsman was not looking forward to anyone traveling with him. Five was enough. Eight would definietly be pushing it.
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 02:45
Reiya smiled as Draiko flew back to her. He landed on her shoulder, but then slowly walked down her arm until he was perched on her hand.

When Reiya noticed how the hound was sitting between Scýne and Stef and how he didnt' look like he trusted Stef, she sat down beside the dog and offered him a treat.

Draiko cried as he was looking toward Denthor. Reiya followed his glance and noted how upset Denthor seemed to be. She shook her head and Draiko turned back toward her. Then he looked around the camp and looked at the other hawk in the group.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 12:25
It was not lost upon Kemen that the man in red - Stefan, he reminded himself - had directed the invitation to join he and his companions by the fire mostly at the elf. Stefan then turned his attention to Scyne as the girl sat down nearby and handed him a note. Kemen lingered where he was.

Hwesta, however, had seen the other bird in the camp and was interested. The goshawk made the decision to join the camp for Kemen by leaving his shoulder and flying to stand before the woman holding the pretty silver and black hawk.

"Hwesta!" Kemen hissed to the bird, who had cocked her head to the side to study the other hawk. Hwesta flew back to Kemen, pulled on his hair, and then flew back to her previous position. Kemen had no choice but to take the only space open at the campfire, next to Stefan. He did so reluctantly.

He dearly hoped that they would leave him alone...
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 02:22
Reiya laughed lightly as the goshawk flew to her. Also at the way her master was acting. She noticed that Draiko was watching the goshawk, Hwesta, with great interest. She smiled as she placed her friend on her leg and watched as he walked to where Hwesta was standing.

"Hwesta is very beautiful. You are lucky to have such a companion." She whispered.

She smiled at him and then looked at their birds. She pulled out a couple of treats and offered them. Draiko cried, something that Reiya read as 'ladies first'. She smiled and shook her head. Draiko had manners as if he were a being, and that's exactly how Reiya treated him.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 03:14
Stef watched Kemen settle himself down and noted with passing interest that he wasn't comfortable at all. In fact - Stef was about to make an observation to himself, but forgot exactly what he was observing as he caught sight of one of the ears of the third party. Peaked. What's an Elf doing out here? Stefan had to wonder. He offered a real smile, nothing dramatic or over zealous, and a friendly wink. "You honor us with your presence," he said lightly, a bright twinkle in his eyes from the fire. "So how does an Elf come to be in the wilds with two humans as company? Surely you did not set off with them - anyone with eyes can see you're a bit wary of them, and of us." Name, name... Aha - Kemen. "We don't bite, Kemen," Stefan added with a bit of a smirk. "At least, most of us don't." He cast a glance at Denthor to include the swordsman as the odd one out in that particular catergory.

The hawk that had been on Kemen's shoulder flew back for a brief moment and then lighted off again. "Yours?" Stef inquired, genuinely interested. He loved animals of all sorts, and though horses were his personal favorites, he also liked birds a lot.

Denthor pretended to slip into the mood and relax, but his hand was never far from his sword hilt, and whenever Kyrstan wasn't looking at him, the swordsman let his mask slip so he could glower menacingly. He didn't like the looks of these. Why on earth had Stefan insisted they join? Curse the insane man.

He let his gaze wander to Tilitia. Well, perhaps Stefan's judgement wasn't all bad. At least now, he had a sort of comrade-in-arms. And, if this Kyrstan fellow stuck with them, he might also end up with a price on his head for murder. He didn't like the man. Enough said.

Dalsa moved under the blankets. They were smothering. Getting out was the important thing. So, with a big stretch, Dalsa shed the blankets. At least this time something was covering -

Denthor had been casting glances back at the pile that was Dalsa for some time now. IT kept moving and he wodnered if the mysterous third party of their original party would soon maek an appearence. He wanted to meet this Dalsa.

Then it moved and Denthor trained all his attention on it, dropping the vicious staring contest he'd somehow engaged Krystan in. And his jaw dropped open as a frighteningly pale young woman dropped the heavy blankets off herself and stretched.

What?

Stef felt rather than saw Denthor's indignation at the turn of events behind him. He could even imagine how Dalsa looked as she came out of her coccoon. Yes, you had to make it now... He sighed and instead of advancing a little on Kemen as he wanted to, turned around and pretended to be shocked. Really, all he wanted to do was laugh at the poleaxed look on Denthor's face. Obviously expecting some male to be traveling with us, weren't you?

"And that," he informed everyone, with a tone of finality, "is Dalsa."
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 07:33
Scýne was watching Denthor carefully out of the corner of her eye. He obviously didn't care for Krystan, and the man's gaze troubled her.

She pulled krystan to his feet and led him over to their horses. She wrote out hastily, Krys, we need to leave. I am terribly uncomfortable being with these people. The one called Denthor...he does not want us around, that much is obvious. Please, can we just go?

She shoved the parchment into his hands and sang out a high clear musical note.

Mor jumped to his feet and ran to her side.

The two of them stood there and stared at Krystan and waited for an answer.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 08:10
Stef had welcomed Krystan and his small group to join him and his own group at the fireside.
The half elf nodded a curt acknowledgement that meant neither “Thank you” , nor “If we must”.

Krystan moved to sit opposite the one Stef had introduced a s Denthor.
Scyne , Krystan had positioned safely between himself and Mor, he instinctively kept a close watch over her in the presence of strangers.

The red haired, half elf fixed his sharp hazel glare on Denthor, Already the assassin had taken an instinctive dislike to this full blood human.

They faced each other, unblinking, like two Alpha Wargs challenging for dominance.
Krystan only moving his stare when the heap of blankets that was Dalsa became a pale female.
The half elf blinked once, curious. What was this insipid hued creature? This Dalsa that Stef had named her?

Krystan frowned slightly, as he tried to assess the newly emerged female in his assassin’s mind.
His thoughts were broken when Scyne suddenly pulled him to his feet.
“Scyne my girl, what is it?” Krystan asked, as they walked towards the horses, a deep concern in his voice. Krystan could sense sharply that she was anxious about something.

“Scyne”, Krystan read the note quickly, “I also sense that this Denthor has some mistrust of us, and would rather we were elsewhere”.
He placed a slender hand on the side of her face, and gently stroked a stray lock of gossamer hair back from her cheek.
“ Scyne girl, don’t be afraid”, Krystan smiled a soft smile, a smile meant only for her. It told her of his devotion to her, of his care.
“Dulin nin”, he said quietly, “I have dealt with full blood human types like him before many times, He will not come close to you”.

Krystan continued to stroke her face with a fingertip, “ I need work Dulin nin, If travelling with this group of misfits to Harad results in a contract , I will tolerate them”.

Krystan glanced down at Mor, the hound pressed close to Scyne’s side.
His yellow eyes fixed on Krystan spoke as loudly as if the animal could talk.

“But”, Krystan placed a finger under Scyne’s chin, and tilted her head to look at him, “But Scyne girl, a contract is just a contract, I can easily look elsewhere. If you want to leave here, If you are not comfortable, then we go now”.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 07:06
(Yay! I'm back *dances then holds nose and jumps in*)

Tilitha listened to what was happening around her. The travelers, now named, seemed fine with her, the one Krystan was a bit edgy and having a silent showdown with Denthor. She just sighed and pulled her cloak closer to her, and glanced over as the half elf and girl named Scyne wandered away; they obviously were closer than just friends and she smiled ever so slightly at the thought.

Til brought her knees up to rest her chin on top and looked back over to Denthor who was half relaxed and half tensed. But his expression suddenly changed and she saw why with the revealing of Dalsa .. a woman, very beautiful but very mysterious. She grinned, quietly moving over to Denthor to say to him.

"There's something you don't see everyday. Someone you thought was a man changing into a woman." she snickered.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2006 08:55
((Overdue for a post - again. *mutter*))

"No," Kemen said softly, shifting ever so slightly to put a little more distance between himself and Stefan, trying to do so discreetly so as not to offend the human. "I started alone, but I encountered them at a stream this morning where I was watering my horse. She was lame and they offered to help me."

Am I really that obviously wary of them? Kemen asked himself. Or is this Stefan just very perceptive and observant?

At that moment, Hwesta came back to him and stared at him with her gold eyes. Kemen stared back. The goshawk cocked her head to one side and moved closer. Hungry. Meat. she was telling him. Kemen rolled his eyes and reached into a pouch at his belt, producing a piece of dried meat and tossing it at her. She gobbled it down and returned to the other hawk.

"Aye, that greedy, lazy, troublesome bundle of feathers is mine," Kemen muttered. "Hwesta, I call her."

Just then, Scyne and Krystan moved to their horses. Kemen stared at them as they held a near silent discussion about leaving, if Kemen was hearing Krystan's words to Scyne correctly. Leaving?! One part of his brain panicked and his body gave a startled twitch. No. No. No nonononononono! Not good, not good notgoodnotgoodnotgood! Although he didn't know them very well, he felt more comfortable with them (they were only two, and Scyne didn't talk, per se) than he did with Stefan's group (Denthor the swordsman in particular. Besides, there were five!) Kemen started to rise.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2006 02:19
Stefan caught a hold of Kemen's wrist, preventing the Elf from rising to his feet. Something akin to panic was playing across the Elf's face, and Stef was sure he could maybe make the stressed traveler calm down a bit. "Hwesta is a pretty name," Stefan said softly. "She is a lovely bird. I don't see how you could call her such uncomplimentary names as greedy, lazy and troublesome. However, the 'bundle of feathers' bit I think I do understand at least." A warm smile crossed the red-head's face, making his eyes light up and seem to glow hypnotically in the fire light.

"Why do you want to leave?" Stef asked with unusual forwardness, his eyes still locked with Kemen's. Stop thinking about going, Stef thought. I don't think I'm going to let you leave anytime soon. Of course he didn't speak his thoughts aloud, but in the instant that the fire roared up a little higher, maybe his thoughts had been visible in his vibrant green eyes. Who knew. Yes, who knew indeed.

Denthor didn't bother answering Tilithia. He just stood, gaping at Dalsa. But - but - his thoughts stammered. They weren't particularly coherent. Finally he gathered himself together enough to close his jaw so it wasn't hanging wide open and inviting random flies to buzz in. "Uh - what are you doing here?" Denthor demanded of the young woman.

She looked mildly surprised. "Traveling to Harad, as was arranged before," Dalsa answered. Her voice was low and melodic like water rushing over smooth rocks. "I assumed everyone knew I was coming -" she cast a glance at Stef, who wasn't looking at her. Lifting an eyebrow a bit, she added, "And I only expected to have you two along. Not -" a slight pause as she made a swift tally, "-not seven. Perhaps plans were changed? Made to accommodate others?" She had to keep from letting her lips curl up in a sneer. These strange folk - they would learn eventually. All of them would.

There was a long silence. Dalsa just stood there, her arms crossed across her chest and locking eyes with anyone who would meet her gaze at all. The tension didn't ease - to the contrary it grew tighter until Dalsa was sure she would hear an audible 'snap' if someone pulled a blade through the air. "It does no good to sit around silently," she remarked. Her voice sounded too loud in the silence. She thought she saw Stefan jump out of the corner of her eye.

Now smirking, she took a few long steps over towards the red-head and the dark haired captive he held. She had no eyes for the pair by the horses, the woman with the birds or the duo still staring incredulously at her. Well, well, well, Stefan, she purred in her mind. Attempting yet another conquest, are we? You certainly have a gift for charming the rabbits out of their holes...

OOc// *blink* Somehow that seemed entirely pointless, but it had to be written. *cringes* If you have to throw vegetables at moi, make sure it's carrots or broccoli, ookies?
Reiya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2006 12:57
Reiya noticed what was going on between Stefan and Kemen, and she knw that Kemen didn't like it very well. She was even sure the Draiko and Hwesta knew. Suddenly they flew over and each landed on a shoulder, glaring at Stef, with their wings expanded in attack mode.
Reiya was no longer sure about travelling with Stef. Maybe she should travel without them. She knew her way and if she got lost both Silvernight and Draiko could help her. She shook her head and sighed.
Maybe I should just travel alone like I was doing before. I prefer that much better.
Draiko could sense his mistress' distress and thoughts. While he agreed with her he didn't want to leave Hwesta anytime soon.
Reiya slightly nodded, stood up and walked through the trees a bit to where Silvernight was. She stroked his mane gently and then noticed that a mare's leg was hurt. She walked over to her, whispering comforting words as she looked at the leg. She could sense that someone else had worked on it so she left it. All she did was rub the leg up and down.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2006 10:55
Tilitha watched with amusement at what was transpiring. Stef looked like he was holding Kemen captive. Denthor still had a silly look on his face, which she so happily snickered at, and Dalsa was making everyone nervous, she was definitely not your regular girl.

She rested her chin in her hand and her elbow on her knee. She didn't mind the crowd, but eight was kind of a stretch, and she didn't even need to go to Harad! The odd characters in the bunch weren't helping matters either. But she hadn't had an adventure in a while, and she did not count her getting lost an adventure ... more like an aggravation. And, she noticed, getting into danger was one of her top talents. Oh well maybe she'd just go along with them, her friend in Rohan would just have to wait.

Soon Til rose glancing at Dalsa who didn't look very happy, she had one of those dangerous smirks on her face that meant someone was going to be hurting. Yawning she pulled out a blanket from her bag and placed it close to the fire where no one was and laid down seeing if she couldn't get at least a few minutes of sleep.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2006 02:27
((Now who said Kemen didn't like this situation? ))

Kemen practically jumped out of his skin when Stef's hand closed on his wrist. He froze in his half-standing position, staring at the crimson man, enraptured by the brilliant green eyes he was faced with, blazing with ... something. Lust? his mind supplied. His throat suddenly felt a little too tight.

"Leaving?" he asked almost breathlessly, clearly hypnotized by the man's eyes. "I don't know why..." He was just about ready to sit complacently next to Stef when Hwesta and the other hawk landed on either shoulder and looked about ready to attack.

"Hwesta?" Kemen asked stupidly of the goshawk on his left shoulder. She was making loud calls, clearly aggitated. "No - no, he's not a threat to you! Calm down!" He shooed the other hawk from his right shoulder and tried to calm his own, finally managing to get her from his shoulder. He lost his balance in the process and fell practically into Stef's lap. Kemen's face burned in mortification. However, he was unable to move because... because... he didn't know why. There was suddenly a fluttery feeling in his stomach, like butterflies that were trying to escape a glass jar.

[Edited on 16/7/06 by Nimeneth]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 07:40
Stef moved slowly, like there was a skittish deer with him. Gently he eased himself away from Kemen and stood, helping the Elf gain his own feet as well. His eyes flickered briefly to Tilithia who was snoozing contentedly on the ground, utterly oblivious to the tension threatening to errupt into chaos at any moment. From the sleeping female, the red head drew his own cue.

"It is late," Stefan pointed out to everyone. "We may not know each other all that well, but will that prevent us from sharing a camping space now that it is dark? Travel in the dark is for the foolish and those born of the shadows. Surely one night cannot hurt anything." He put on his most convincing look, pulling the image to the fore as easily as thought. Perhaps they would stay. Perhaps not. Truth to tell, Stefan himself hardly cared. However, he knew his companions would care, and that drove him as nothing else. Teams were together - they worked together and finished together. He and his two misfitted partners were a team.

Dalsa took a moment to absorb the words that Stef had spoken. She agreed of course, with his words completely. He was right - it was dangerous to travel alone. She also complimented him on his rather unorthodox style of convincing everyone to stay. Mabye they would make it to Harad in a group like this after all. It was worth the little extra effort, if she had to put it in.

The slightly dangerous look Dalsa had spent years carefully cultivating dropped away like an unwanted cloak. Her warm, brown eyes held a hint of mischief and girlish excitement at the thought of something new - something different. Small, tentative steps brought her towards the only female in the group who clearly seemed isolated. It was the one practically begging her partner to leave.

Dalsa stopped a few short feet away from Scyne. With a tiny half-smile that spoke more than any words could have, the young woman asked if she could pet the lovely wolfhound even now lying at attention near Scyne's feet.

Denthor took Stef's words to heart right away and pulled the stuff necessary for a camp right out of his saddlebags, making one up on the spot. He offered Tilithia assistance in making her own camp if she wanted it, and let her mull things over as he put the final touches on his own little spot.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 11:04
Tilitha had lightly fallen alseep, going in and out of dreams that made no sense and had no meaning. The voice of Stef had awakened her slightly, only to hear him say they should get some sleep. Til sighed then listened to the commotion of camp being put up. Suddenly she heard Denthor telling her he would give her help. Slowly she sat up on her elbow and watched him finish his own. Finally she got up, and nodded to him while yawning, a quiet "Sure," falling from her lips.

Once everything was done, Til smiled and gave Denthor a thanks. Before slipping under she blanket she pulled off her belt of weapons though kept it as close to her as a teddy bear once she eventually laid down. Then with a yawn and a sigh, she fell into a deep sleep her face looking peaceful, though her ears were constantly alert and her hand was resting on her long sword.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2006 08:12
((EGADS! We're on the second page!))

Kemen allowed Stef to help him to his feet, still a bit stunned by what had happened. He absently noticed that the human was moving very slowly, as if he was interacting with a shy animal. Is it because of me? the elf asked himself.

"It is late," Stefan pointed out to everyone. "We may not know each other all that well, but will that prevent us from sharing a camping space now that it is dark? Travel in the dark is for the foolish and those born of the shadows. Surely one night cannot hurt anything."

"You're right," Kemen said, shaking himself out of his temporary stupor and gently removing himself from Stef's general vicinity. He was a bit confused about what he was feeling, so he decided that he needed to distance himself from the human until he sorted himself out.

Summe snorted in the darkness, reminding Kemen that the horse was still carrying his baggage. He moved towards the mare, who butted him in the shoulder with her head when he was closer to her, in concern for the elf.

"I'm alright, Summe," he said softly so the others wouldn't hear him. She nosed his shoulder in satisfaction and gently turned her side to the elf. When Kemen raised his eyes to the heavens, she snorted at him in annoyance. Kemen supposed that she wanted the burden off her back, and she wanted it of now.

He removed his pack and bedroll, moving towards the fire to lay it out... as far away from Stef as he could manage. He needed some time to think.

((Sorry, nothing interesting happens.))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 04:38
Scyne had fallen compleely motionless as she watched the exchange between Stefan and Kemen. Her eyes didn't miss a thing amongst the others either. She had already decided who was trustworthy and who was not amongst all of them.

She signalled to Krystan that they should make a sleeping area, and as she unrolled her bedroll, her eyes flickered over all of the others. She motioned to Krystan that she was going to move into the trees for a few moments, and at his nod, she disappeared.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2007 04:59
((There seem to be a lot of zombie threads rising from the dead as of late... ))

Stef watched Kemen carefully as the Elf took his bedroll and placed it farther away from the rest of the group than was probably wise. It was also, Stef noted, far away from his own sleeping place. For a moment he considered going and taking his own place closer to Kemen, but then decided against it. Kemen was like a skittish deer, and any sudden movements could easily startle him.

Since when did you start thinking of him as a deer? a little voice in Stef's head taunted. And yourself as the hunter, I suppose?

The red head shook his head, dismissing the little voice easily. They came and spoke often enough that he'd learned to ignore them unless they made perfect sense. But this one wasn't making sense now, anyway.

It was with slow steps that Stef approached his sleeping space and then settled himself down in it. Juniper came over and laid down next to him, providing a comforting warmth on his right side. He rested his head on her forelegs, and she comfortably breathed into his hair. Goodnight, my darling, he thought at her, not willing to speak in case it would be taken amiss by someone else.

Slowly his eyes drifted shut and sleep came. And with sleep came dreams that left him confused and curious come morning.

***~***~***~***
"Get up then," Denthor ordered Stef.

The red head moaned, turning over. His arm came across his eyes, blocking out the early morning sunlight. It burned!

"Oh, stop your whining," the swordsman growled. "It's morning and it's time for you to be awake. Get up. We have a long way to go with a great big number of people, thanks to you inviting everthing and everyone to come along with us."

Denthor broke off and shot Stef a cold glare before turning to contine packing his own horse. Most of the other camp residents were up already.

Stef made himself sit up and then dragged his weary body out of his bedroll. He took his time rolling it up and stowing it away in Juniper's packs. After that was complete, they were all ready to go and he mounted, taking care to send Denthor to the lead with whoever gravitated towards him. Stef himself, however, held Juniper back a little bit, ending up being the last one in camp aside from Kemen who still couldn't ride his horse due to her laminitis.

"Need a lift?" Stef offered.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2007 01:04
((WAAAAAH!! *pounces on Sal and huggles* You restarted it! Whoot!))

"Summe," Kemen whispred as he stared up at the stars above him. "I don't know what I'm doing going south. Could my parents really be there?" Summe whickered softly and nibbled Kemen's hair. "What happens if this turns out to be a dead end again?" Summe snorted on him, and the elf reached up to gently rub her nose. "You're right, I shouldn't think about that until it hapens. Good night, mellon nin."

The elf rolled onto his side and stared into the darkness, his back to the fire. After a moment, he rolled over so he could see the flames and, more importantly, one particular red-clad figure. His thoughts whirled like a hurricane for a moment before they calmed. Yes, that was something else he had to take as it came at him. Kemen was smiling as he drifted into sleep.

-!-!-!-

The warm touch of sunlight and the feel of something nibbling on his hair brought Kemen from his dreams. Sitting up, he rubbed Summe's nose and started to pack up. Hwesta came to land on the horse's back again and cocked her head at the elf.

"Good morning, birdbag," Kemen said, reaching into his pack and offering the goshawk a piece of meat. Bending down, he checked on Summe's leg and found it was still tender. "Looks like I'll have to find another mode of transportation again this morning, girl." Summe nickered in agreement as Kemen carefully placed his pack and bedroll back onto the mare's back.

By the time he took hold of the piebald's reins, most of the other travellers had begun moving south. Great, he thought, there goes any chance of resting my feet. Then he noticed Stefan mounted on his horse, watching him. The butterflies returned again, but Kemen surpressed them and came towards the human slowly, still not really sure what to expect from him.

"Need a lift?" Stef offered.

"If it wouldn't be too much trouble for you," Kemen replied, coming to stand beside the man and his horse.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2007 02:53
Stef grinned. At least I'm reading him right, he reflected before offering a hand to the Elf. "No trouble at all," he answered sincerely, which was rather out of character for him. While Stef never lied outright, he rarely gave any true indication of what he was really thinking or feeling. But this time it was a little different. Stef felt that for once he didn't have anything to hide or anyone to really impress, so he was just...himself. Without masks or other cryptic disguises.

The human hoisted the Elf up onto the saddle so Kemen was riding pillion. "Comfortable?" he inquired, twisting in his seat so he could properly see Kemen's face.

***~***~***~***
Denthor wondered what was taking so long, when he turned around to see that Stef had paused to pick up the Elf. Can't you forget about one member for once? the swordsman thought gruffly.

Oh well... No one would be left behind.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2007 07:30
((I only have one thing to say ... yay!))

Tilitha had yawned for the third time that morning as she finally prepared herself for their continuing journey. An interesting journey, but a journey none the less. And she still had the decision on her head, of whether or not to go on to Harad or depart. If by the time they reached the river she was completely frustrated with these people, obviously she'd leave. They already had had a complicated night, who knew what the day would bring?

She ran her hands through her dark hair, trying to get some of the tangles out, as well as a few twigs that still remained from yesterday. Tilitha walked more towards the back of the group, her hand absently caressing the hilt of her long sword. She noticed she was the only one without a horse, but she didn't mind. Horses never really liked her, and she felt more secure on her feet. Of course it was never a good thing to be chased by someone on a horse, but it was easier to suddenly change directions or hide in a tiny alcove on foot.

Observing the area, Tilitha took in everything, and kept her ears and eyes open as always. She looked ahead as well at the caravan trailing in front of her. Shaking her head she sighed, an interesting journey indeed...
CelticRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2007 05:04
Jahael had hardly slept the previous night, leaving him somewhat fatigued. Rising from the leaf-strewn ground, he brushed himself off and looked around. Now to re-orient - where was he headed again? Oh, right. He didn't know. He never knew where he was going, did he? Not unless he had a job, which he didn't at the time, having decided to "take some time off" so to speak.

Due to lack of sleep, the master of stealth was not in a particularly pleasant mood. Upon hearing a sound, far off and distant, he froze, ceasing all motion, to listen. Yes, there it was again -- it seemed to be the light clamp of horses' hooves and a spoken word or two. People? Interesting... very interesting.

He decided to look further into this approaching party - but who was to say it was a party? Perhaps it was only a small group, or a pair, or one individual, even, albeit one who talks to themself. However, Jahael had fairly decent perceptory senses, and he thought it was a party, so a party it must have been.

He came around a tree just then, a tree that provided conjunction with the road. Yes there, in the distance -- there they were! He had known it was a party, and felt pleased in knowing that he had been correct.

The tree, he decided, would make a good place to wait for their arrival. Leaning against its trunk, one leg bent with the foots positioned against the tree's base, he waited to greet the steadily approaching travelers.

"Lovely day, is it not?" he said, once they reached earshot, to catch their attention.

[Edited on 14/2/2007 by CelticRain]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 09:58
Denthor was in the lead, riding his grey palfrey when he spotted some movement up ahead. He strained his eyes to see what it could be - running into orcs could be disatrous with a group that had no idea how to fight together. But no... It wasn't an orc. Or, at least, not any kind of orc Denthor had ever seen before. So, he concluded that it was some other creature. Another human, perhaps?

The swordsman cast a wary glance back at Stefan. He hoped dearly that their unorganized party would not swell its ranks further, even if it was with only one more person. There was saftey in numbers up to a point, and in a group like this, loyalties were always divided.

"Lovely day, is it not?"

He caught the words and grimaced, but didn't reply until his mare was standing squarely in front of the other man. Dentor looked down on him from the height of his palfrey, his eyes boring holes into the other man. He considered answering, but by that time, Stef had caught wind of what was going on and had cantered his own horse up. With a sigh, Denthor noted that Kemen the Elf was riding along with Stef.

Denthor stepped aside to let Stef do the talking, but shot him a warning glance against inviting a joining.

Stef, predictably, ignored him.

"How doth thee fare?" he asked, swinging down from his mount, leaving Kemen looking distinctly uncomfortable. Even at such short notice, it seemed Stef could make the world into his stage. His chestunt palfrey played along with him, almost as though she though she was starring in this improv-pagent. Juniper moved forward, investigating the newcomer carefully and snorting her own approval to add to Stef's own.

The red-head had carefully scrutinized this newcomer even as he was riding up. The strange belt the fellow wore had attracted his eye immediately, but soon after he noticed an utter lack of other defining traits. This man was, in short, unremarkable. He had a strange feel to him, as though nothing really mattered, or held sway over him.

Stefan didn't like that. Nevertheless, he still kept his act of the showman, distracting attention from other people - mostly Denthor - who would use this time to pick up little things about the new arrival as well.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 03:33
"Comfortable as I can be, thank you," Kemen muttered, shifting the slightest bit. He had a small ache in his lower back, probably from sleeping on a rock or something and riding uncomfortable pillion with Krystan the day before.

Suddenly, he realized he was faced with a dilema - where to put his hands! It wasn't that he really needed the extra balance or at the moment, so he could potentially keep them in his lap, but what if he should need extra stability? What if Stefan's horse were to spook at something? There was the possibility of keeping one hand loosely on Stefan's arm, but he wasn't sure if he was comfortabe with that and if he would cause the human to become uncomfortable with him.

After several moments of consideration, Kemen gave a near-silent sigh and settled his hands in his lap, close enough and with free movement to take a hold around Stefan's torso should he need to. Not that he expected to need to take those measures. Then he settled himself down to his whirling thoughts and an... interesting ride.

----------

Kemen caught sight of movement ahead of them shortly after Denthor had made a sign that he already had. Kemen studied the figure as they neared him. Stef had started Juniper in a canter, causing Kemen, who was unprepared for such a move, to wrap one arm around Stef's waist to regain his balance. He released the human shortly afterwards and studied the young man.

While he was no judge of the age of men, Kemen decided he would place the man in his second decade of life. He was dressed in nondescript dark clothing and was nondescript himself. That, however, did not mean that there was nothing unusual about him, as Kemen had learned in his decades of travel. His pale eyes narrowed, now more gray than green. He was trying to discern the man's intent, and although he could not read him, he continued to shrewdly examine him while seeming uninterested. It was something he had gotten good at over the years.

Summe joined Juniper, Kemen, and Stef as the scarlet man dismounted to greet the stranger. Kemen had been forced to release her reins as Juniper had broken into a canter, a pace his poor mare could not keep up with with her injured hoof. Absently, he rubbed her forelock between his fingers, watching the exchange.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 04:34
Tilitha soon noticed the groups attention was pointed forward to another man who had just appeared. Raising an eyebrow, she automatically unsheathed her short sword, but held it casually at her side for the moment. Slowly she made her way up to Denthor, Stef, and Kemen - Stef already engaging in conversation with the newcomer.

Tilitha just stood back for the moment taking a look at the man. She could only hope that he wouldn't start something, for she really didn't feel like fighting this morning. But he didn't look the type to just start throwing punches or thrusting swords. He looked, almost, more like Stef's type of personality, the smooth talking, deceptive type... Tilitha sighed to herself, just great. But maybe she was wrong..

She then glanced at Denthor who looked as he always did, annoyed and perhaps a bit frustrated. Deep down she felt a bit sorry for him that he was, in her eyes, trapped with this 'mission'. But it must have been his own decision to come on this journey. The numerous amount of 'uninvited' guess was probably the main reason for his rising anger. She couldn't blame him, even she was becoming a bit irked at the number, but this really wasn't her journey, so she couldn't, or more, shouldn't complain.

A sigh escaped her and her hand adjusted its grip on her sword. Tilitha turned back to the stranger and Stef trying to listen to the man's reply.
CelticRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2007 03:44
Jahael's first impression of the group was that they seemed to be a rather assorted lot - male and female, elven and human, rider and foot-traveler. Would they be as interesting to associate with as they looked? Jahael suspected so, but he wasn't even sure yet that there would be any association between them. And judging by the look on one of their faces - that of the calculating swordsman - there wouldn't be. But that look didn't faze Jahael.
Truth be told, little did.

A striking young man clad in glorious scarlets with an extravagant set of green eyes and shocking red hair to match his raiment approached the thief.

"How doth thee fare?" he inquired. This fellow looked as if he could be the sort of person prone to histrionics. Jahael thought he rather liked him, and he was not the sort of person to like anyone without first having at least a somewhat lengthy conversation with them.

"I fare well, and hope that the same may be said of thee," Jahael replied simply, in an attempt to remain polite and neutral. "May I be so bold as to inquire as to where be thy destination? Perhaps our paths cross."

Try as he might to remain impartial and complaisant, Jahael couldn't help but think that these people were a good sort of people, and selfishly, he wanted to travel with them.

[Edited on 14/2/2007 by CelticRain]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 11:58
"The same may well be said of any and all who are out and about on this wonderfully glorious day," Stefan remarked, his tone light and his eyes merry though inside he was anything but. He might act the part of the easy-going, easy to fool, extravagant (and perhaps overly so) man, but in truth he was a shrewd as the best of them, and while he played his game, he was reading every little movement of the stranger. There was a slipperiness about this man that led Stef to distrust, though some of the other signs signaled opposite of that. In such situations, Stef was inclined to follow what he immediately felt and act on that, especially if it encouraged caution.

So, instead of immediately adding this man to his group to irk Denthor, Stef took his time to assess and respond to the dark-haired stranger.

"Bold thou art indeed," Stef agreed. "Perhaps overly so, and maybe it is prematurely decided." He paused to twist his words around like a strangle rope. "Mayhap before one decides to inquire as to the destination of another, the one would be so kind as to perhaps present information about himself."

There was a game in the place Stef had come from where people sat around making indirect statements as inquiries. One 'question' led to another, and all manner of outrageous stories and statements were involved. He pulled now on the trick of transforming a direct question into a roundabout statement, to make it seem more a reminder of manners than an actual query.

***~***~***~***
Denthor would have stared in amazement as Stef took his time for once with the newcomer instead of immediately pronouncing both his name and their destination as the stranger had inquired as to the one, and Stef often gave up the other with little forethought. This time was different though. Denthor could see again the shrewd, calculating man that had joined up with him in the first, and joined him on their trek to Harad.

He might have been shining a little bit more brightly than normal when he heard the beginnings of the 'question game' form from Stef's lips. Or maybe it was just the angle of the sun and shadows caused. Denthor would never admit to actually smiling, after all.
CelticRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 02:59
Jahael felt he must be losing his touch. To think such a man was so sharp...! Hadn't he learned early on that it never does to judge someone by appearances alone? Yet there - he had gone and done it.

But there was something about this man. He had the deductive skills of a thief, but he couldn't be... could he? No, no thief could be so theatrical. But again, he was certainly of a high intellect.

Jahael hated to admit it, but he was confused. So he didn't admit it, although the fact remained harsh and true.

He wanted to play games? All right, then; two can play at this game.

"Bold I am, as thee sayst," Jahael countered. "That I deny not, though in thy case it is more like that it has been prematurely decided, seeing as thou knowst me not, and thou art also a stranger to me. Perhaps thou art the bold one, avoiding my inquiry and parrying with one of thy own, though discreet. I deem thou hoped I would fail to notice, or perhaps it was thy intent to toy with my mind, make me thy fool, for thou canst be a trickster - that much is plain to me - if thou desires." He paused and sighed. "However, I cannot offer the information that thou seekst. I myself have no real direction, nor do I possess an accompanying purpose. My intent is to sojourn in a general southerly direction. But who knows where life shall take me?"

Jahael merely hoped that this would buy him some time and information to assess the man and his tactics. He was by no mean an expert at weaving questions, but he could buy himself time and think quick on his feet - those were necessary tactics. Surely, this was one of the more curious encounters Jahael had ever had, and most of his encounters were curious indeed, considering his line of work.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 04:52
"Bold I should rejoice to be seen as," Stef replied in kind, sweeping into an outrageous stage bow. "And admit I must, to my intent. Thy guess at trickster mayhap is truer than thee will have guessed."

With a near one-eighty turn, Stef decided he actually liked this stranger, and did not, as he had thought earlier, regard him as some type of nuisance. That of course, made his acting all the more outrageous and he was nearly as flamboyant as any terrible stage actor. Though, Stef of course, managed to pull it off with enough grace and style to make it seem almost natural instead of painful.

"If you're going south," Denthor drawled, interrupting what he suspected could easily become a very long conversation spoken entirely in an archaic dialect, "then you might as well wait for someone who will take you there. We happen to be headed down, not south."

In a strange way it was true. Harad's deserts were lower than the rest of the terrain they were traversing now, and after all, they had a great deal of westerly travel to complete yet...

Stef coughed lightly to regain the attention he had lost when Denthor had spoken. "Yes, so we are headed down," he acknowledged. It was another of the riddles that he liked so much.

CelticRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 09:02
This red-haired man caused Jahael to smile slightly - just a twitch at the corners of his mouth, merely a flicker.

Just then, the swordsman spoke up, clearly explaining that the group's direction was not indeed south, but 'down'. Moreover, Jahael sensed that the man wanted nothing to do with him.

Ah, but he was used to that. Many people didn't desire to be associated with a shadowy sort of being such as himself.

Moreover, the swordsman seemed to prefer to avoid the antiquated language that had been previously employed with the redhead, who acknowledged his companion's remark about their destination with a slight cough.

"Well, take you your way, and I'll take me mine. But if not south, where are you headed? Where, pray tell, is 'down'? For I have heard of no land called Down, hence there must be none; and unless you intend to descend into the earth, I cannot imagine what you mean to say by informing me that you will proceed to travel 'down'." A pause. "I say, I do believe that you mean to be rid of me with your roundabout riddles. My dear traveler, you must learn to be straightforward. You do look the part, if I say so myself. Now this one over here," - he gestured to Stefan - "I can tell is the sharp of wit and the riddler. Will you not speak your mind, good swordsman? I wish not to impose, nor be a burden to you by unnecessarily consuming your time, so let us make the most of it. What have you to say, what reservations? Speak your mind."

Only, Jahael wasn't really sure he wanted to know what exactly was on the man's mind. Perhaps he shouldn't have asked. But there, the damage was done. Usually Jahael thought thinks through before voicing them, but today was just not a good day for him. Whatever had gotten into him?

[Edited on 10/2/2007 by CelticRain]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2007 05:32
Kemen rolled his eyes at the roundabout method of speech both men were using. He hadn't heard so many 'thees' and 'thys' in one place for more than three centuries, and that was from a band of traveling performers with whom he had once shared a camp.

Of course, the only reason this riddling competition was going on was probably because both humans loved to act to throw people off. Kemen sighed.

Humans, he thought, shaking his head slightly.

"Well, take you your way, and I'll take me mine. But if not south, where are you headed? Where, pray tell, is 'down'? For I have heard of no land called Down, hence there must be none; and unless you intend to descend into the earth, I cannot imagine what you mean to say by informing me that you will proceed to travel 'down'." A pause. "I say, I do believe that you mean to be rid of me with your roundabout riddles. My dear traveler, you must learn to be straightforward. You do look the part, if I say so myself. Now this one over here," - he gestured to Stefan - "I can tell is the sharp of wit and the riddler. Will you not speak your mind, good swordsman? I wish not to impose, nor be a burden to you by unnecessarily consuming your time, so let us make the most of it. What have you to say, what reservations? Speak your mind."

That's it, the elf thought in annoyance, shifting forward slightly. They're all starting to get on my nerves.

"Gentlemen, pardon my interruption," Kemen said clearly, "but as amusing as thy performance is, the road that lies before us gets no shorter as we stand here. Prithee, carry on thy conversation as we travel."

((Stef's manner of speaking is contageous. I think Kemen's caught a little bit of it.))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email