Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: inherence (see ooc)
on: September 07, 2006 11:15
Leoma thought for a moment, "Yes, the running horse tavern down the lane yonder has a well kept stable and will board at a reasonable price. Mention my name there and they might just give you a lower price, I am well-known and liked in this village." Leoma smiled brightly, "But of course, if you plan to leave at first light I had better show you my works now, for I believe that I shall be retiring to my room shortly." He walked over to a dark stall, opening it and vanishing for a minitue.
Leoma appeared again with a large bundle of cloth, he laid it out on a nearby bench before opening it.
Within it's folds were several wood-carvings, most fist-sized, of horses in motion, various other animals, (Cats and hounds), and eagles. One or two of the larger ones were of fantastical creatures, such as oliphaunts, and the smaller ones were mimications of humans, of all races.
There was one other among this collection, a horse carved of wood, it was inlaid with small precious gems at the bridal and saddle, and the carved saddle and bridal were made of gold-plated wood. The horse itself was simple, set in a loping motion, neck arched proudly, and Leoma proudly displayed it.
"This is my finest work, I've spent the last ten years just gathering the gems and gold from my trades. And the last three carving it, I am hoping to get a good price for it in Minas Tirith. I dare say that this could support my family for several months at the least."
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 10:29
Nachlin was glad when he saw the roofs of a small town or village appear before him. He did not know the name of the place nor did he care.
He had marched for many days and now only wished for a place where to spend the night comfortably hopefully with a roof overhead- a great improvement to far too many nights he was forced to spend outside within the last year or so.

When he first joined the host of Haladrim marching north it had been of free will. Great reward had been promised to the men in his home village and not few had followed, hoping for fame and riches. Each of them had been equipped with weapons and even helms and breast-plates for protection.
Soon enough however the enthusiasm of the men had waned. Long were their days marching, pausing not long enough to recover strength, and not getting enough sleep at nights. When they first ran short of provisions fights broke out and some were killed.
More died when they wanted to return to their homes and families. The nameless leaders of the host that had recruited them knew no mercy. It was true, they had been warned before that once recruited they had no choice but to stick to their decision, nevertheless Nachlin was shocked. He had not seen death so close before and was scared.
Not knowing what to do he kept marching with the men, knowing that he would not be able to survive long in battle. Then during one night, when others tried to flee and were caught there was much commotion. Knowing that he was not likely to be given another chance he stole off into the night. Once out of earshot he ran. He ran as far as his legs could carry him and his strength allowed.
He had continued his marching every day since that night. He wished to return to his village. Life there had not been good, but he knew no alternative. All he knew was that he kept steadily southwards, staying off the major trading routes.

He had travelled alone for several weeks now and with each passing day the fear of persuit he had haboured had lessened. By now he was willing to even enter the small town ahead. Maybe he could help some peasant for a few days in exchange of food and a bed to sleep in.
If so he would stay for a few days or weeks at the most, and then with strength anewed he would be able to travel on faster than before.
At least he would be able to find out the name of the town ahead his exact location, although he knew he was still very far from home.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 12:50
Hyldo finished his drink then left. He saw his two friends talking and he nodded to them then headed on his way. He walked into the stable and fed his horse. "I'm glad I have you boy. You are the only family I have left." Hyldo said. "I had best get over all that though, if I'm planning on being an adventurer." Hyldo said. He knew he wouldn't be staying here long, this was only a place of hiding. Hyldo patted her horse then went back up to his room. He sighed then fell asleep on his bed.

(Sorry itsa so short! I couldn't stay on long!)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 07:25
Nachlin carefully entered the town through a small path, rather a gap between two houses, that led from the town to a meadow with sheep lazily standing in the evening sun, eating and looking at him through small brown eyes. Soon the path met a wider street, surely not the main road, but nevertheless a few people went about their business here. Some looked at him suspiciously, others did their best to ignore the stranger.
Nachlin had not expected different behaviour of the locals. He tried to avoid eyecontact and tried to keep his own uneasiness from his broad face, as not to offend or provoke anyone.
As he made his way through the town- at least it seemed like a town to him, in comparison with the small village he called his home- he noticed how many people tried to avoid him and his hopes of finding a friendly face that would allow him refuge in exchange for some help faded more and more. Nachlin did not even care much what work he would end up doing. At home he had tailored for all in his village and those few that would pass through from time to time and had prided himself in weaving the finest cloth that was to be found in all the villages for leagues around. He sighed and his smile fell off his face as his thoughts returned to the present. He doubted very much that anyone here could have even the slightest interest in the clothes he knew to sew.

While his thoughts had returned to his home, as they did so often, he had neared the center of the town. Where he stood the street that he had followed, previously winding through houses that stood tall on either side, opened up to a wide place in front of him. The marketplace, Nachlin assumed.
It was enclosed with a few tall buildings, probably the homes of the wealthier people here. Looking further down the small hill the town was build on, he could see the sun reflected on a river, nameless for him as was the town. From where he stood he could not quite make out whether or not the border of this township reached the river's edge.
As the place was still quite peopled despite early evening he crossed it quickly and let a narrow, much quieter street swallow him.
Here the houses steadily became smaller, and although it seemed to get dirtier while he walked the atmosphere seemed to become somewhat more friendly. Soon he passed the last stone buildings and reached an area where wood dominated the architecture. Also the people around him seemed a little more used to strangers, although he still met many unfriendly faces more people seemed to really ignore him, not at all caring what he was up to.
Passing an inn along the way he always followed the street he had chosen at the marketplace, as he had no indication of where in this town it would be wise for him to go. After a few more minutes Nachlin reached another place. The biggest building here was a tavern. It looked not all too comfortable and- well- clean, but it seemed to be the busiest and noisiest place he had yet seen here. Lights were already kindeled inside and shed some of its warm glow onto the streets.

For a moment he stood watching the people around him. A few horses were tied to some poles, their owners assumably busy in the tavern. Then two figures caught his eye. One had spread a cloth over a bench underneath an overhanging tree, obviously displaying some wooden figures to a nearby woman.
Nachlin supposed that she would seem beautiful to the men around here. She was too thin for his taste however and her skin seemed unhealthily pale to him. He doubted that she was able to do much heavy work around the house or on a field. She seemed nice nevertheless in the conversation with the young men across from her. Although he was not very good in guessing the age of the people of the northern lands he still was sure that both were much younger then himself.

With a few long steps he crossed the place to walk into the tavern. Nachlin was sure people would fall quiet at his appearence, nevertheless he was sure it would be the best place to start his search. He had nearly reached the entrance of the tavern when his gaze once more wandered to the man an woman close by and the cloth caught Nachlins attention. It was dirty and had probably traveled for some time with the young man, but Nachlin could still discern tribal printings on it reminding him of those of his village. They were not the same, but the similarity was striking nevertheless.
Slowly he went over to the two strangers. Both looked up to him when he came close. Trying to smile friendlily he said: "Hello. I am called Nachlin." His voice was deep and rolling and he spoke with a heavy accent. "That cloth there. I see a bit of home in it. Where do you have it from, may I ask?" He continued hoping to have found a tolerant and friendly traverler in this foreign and cold land at last.

(ooc: I hope this is ok minstral. I thought as Leoma is a merchant he somehow might have come across it. If having something like this is too ooc for Leoma however, I'll change it.)
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 12:50
OOC: It is not to much Mirenaer, have no fear!

IC: Leoma looked up at the stranger who had just arrived, standing up in surprise, and with more then a little concern, but he retained his composure, bowing in greeting.
The man intorduced himself as Nachlin, though with his heavy accent Leoma had to struggle a bit to understand him.
"That cloth there. I see a bit of home in it. Where do you have it from, may I ask?"

"I got it from a merchant some time ago, he was from Harad I believe, or did some trade with them. He did not seem to care much about the cloth, and I was allowed to keep it. It has prooven to be very useful in carrying my wares..." Leoma looked down at the cloth, he spoke without lying, figuring that it was not the safest thing to do.
"Why, has he done something to you?" Leoma asked with open curiosity.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 08:10
Calun breathed a sigh of releif when Modig offered a bed in the Inn for Calun. He nodded in agreement quickly. This meant that he did not have to hire a pitiful room in one of the Inns that charged heinous amounts for a mattress and a plate of dinner. As it was, he had precious few left.
"Come my friend. let me buy you a drink to toast this fine arangement" he remarked. "Perhaps I should help pay for the room" he mused, as they left the forge. Modig picked up a set of baking trays. They were obviously not new and he could see the faint outline of a cloven hoof imprinted into the metal. Calun peered at this. "Did you repair this?" he asked Modig. Modig nodded. "Thats some fine craftsmanship. I shall be proud to work with you, if this is an example of your work." Modig set down the trays on one of the tables and then opened the door. Calun exited and Modig followed, closing and boltting the door behind them.
"Oy! Look! Its the Half-blood!" This insult was hurled at Calun by a tall,Gondorian man in the heavy, distinctive armor of the soliders of Gondor, surrounded by an equally large and thuggish patrol.
"As I recall, your the vermin, Cartal!" Calun shot back."You lay of me understand?"
"Ooo. Look out boys, the half-blood's threatining me. The patrol behind him sniggered at that. "By the way, halfblood, you theaten me, you threaten Gondor. And Gondor doesnt like being threatened. Here, we are Gondor."
He hissed this last part quietly. Calun rolled his eyes and pulled Modig around the corner towards an Inn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edited for language.....please watch your use of profanities on this site.

[Edited on 12/9/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 07:38
The next moring Hyldo rose early. He went down and decided he would find Leoma and speak with him. Hyldo had no company and missed all his friends he used to have back home. He saw another man talking with him, he seemed to be from Harad or one of those land nearby. "Hello Leoma." Hyldo said, he bowed to the man in greeting. Then he turned back to Leoma. "Where are you heading from here Leoma?" Hyldo asked, he hoped that they could both travel the same way so he wouldn't have to go alone, although he didn't even know where he wanted to go.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 07:44
"Why, has he done something to you?" Leoma asked with open curiosity.

"No." Nachlin said quickly. "I do not know the man, I'm sure." He made a short pause, trying to find the right words.
"It only reminds me. Where I have come from this style of printing is often made. I only thought you had some connection." Nachlin tried another uncertain smile to assure the young man that he was no cause for fear.
"What is this town called? And the river?" The question was for the young man. As he seemed to be a traveling merchant Nachlin hoped that he could tell him where exactly he was and by which roads one might travel savely and quickly due south.
The woman beside them, that Nachlin had ignored so far, seemed very cautious. She looked at him through narrowed eyes and her sword hung quite visibly at her side.
He smiled at her as well, feeling a but stupid doing so. "I am not dangerous. I only need food and sleep before I travel on. South. But with no money I have a problem." He raised his eyebrows and shoulders simultaniously in a gesture of helplessness.
"But maybe at least you can give me the information how I can go on south best?" He looked at the two of them hoping he had taken some of their doubts.

[Edited on 14/9/2006 by Mírenaer]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 09:00
Leoma smiled back, he did not feel threatened, he was not one to attack a person just because of a difference, he had learned that on his many trips to Gondor.
"This is the town of Tuluvaran, the river is the Pelargir." Leoma waved his hand slightly, beginning to fold up his wares, knowing that he probably wouldn''t sell anything here.
"I am not dangerous. I only need food and sleep before I travel on. South. But with no money I have a problem."

Leoma looked at the man, "I never thought you were dangerous, I think I could spare some food, if you have anything to trade. I imagine you could always find a place to sleep by the river, unfortunetly without money the majoraty of the innkeepers do not let people have a room. But I can certainly give you some of my food stores, I have more then enough. But something in return would be a nice thing." Leoma said this all casually, he had to make a living as well, and if he could get something new it would be benifitial to this trade.
Morning came swiftly, he hadn't been aware that he had stayed up so late. Leoma rubbed his eyes, relizing how tired he was, but kept his spirits up. He saw that Hyldo, the man he had met yesterday, was approaching.
"Hello Hyldo."
"Where are you heading from here Leoma?"
"Um..." He thought for a moment, "Towards Gondor, across the river. Would you care to accompany me?" He asked, he got the feeling that Hyldo had come to ask him a similar question.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 11:47
Díore gazed in turn at the three men around her and shuddered involuntarily. Their close proximity to her unnerved her slightly, but it didn't show on her face. She smiled at the newcomer and said in a calm voice, though in reality Díore was trembling, "I do not believe any of us have been introduced? I am Díore, a shieldmaiden from Edoras. I happened to have come upon this place yesterday, and so it seems that I know as little of here as you." She kept her voice pleasant enough, but the maiden's green eyes were aware of everything.

"Towards Gondor, across the river. Would you care to accompany me?"

Díore glanced at Leoma. "You are headed there as well? I was going to make my way there eventually, once the thrill of being in Ithilien was gone."
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 12:34
Leoma looked at Diore, "Yes I am headed there, it is my usuall trading route. Perhaps you would also care to join me?" He asked curtiously. "I will be leaving shortly, once I can gather up my wares, and that should take no more then an hour."
Leoma, with that said, quickly went back to the inn, gathered his belongings, and saddled his horse.
"Come my friend, we have many miles to gain." He lead the horse towards the waiting group, it only taken him 45 minitues to gather everything.
"Well, if you wish to accompany me..." Leoma stated with a shrug of his shoulders.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 05:33
Hyldo was pleased he would have someone to travel with, he wasn't exactly sure where he was heading but Gondor was as good a place as any. Hyldo quickly got his horse saddled and paid for his stay at the inn. He walked his horse out and met with the others near the tavern. Hyldo noticed the maiden looked frightened. "Are you alright?" Hyldo asked.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 07:12
"Of course. There is nothing here to fear." Her voice pitched noticeably, but when Díore spoke again, her voice was normal; she was finally relaxing among the men. "I would go with you if you want the company; I do not want to be a burden." Her things were already packed on Durithil, and nothing was holding her in Tuluvaran. If Leoma didn't want the company, then she would find another way to go.

Durithil strained at his reins when Díore mounted him. He was eager to get on the road. Díore pointed his head toward the road and muttered to the black horse, "Soon we will put some distance between us and here."
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 10:26
Leoma smiled, "You shall not be a burden. Indeed, I welcome the company, for I have to often travelled these roads alone. It can be very lonesome and dull without someone to converse with." With that Leoma got on his horse, and kicked her into a slow trot.
"Come on then!" He called cheerfully back at them.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:45
Díore touched her heels to Durithil's side, and the ebony horse moved into a canter, his hooves drumming on the path. "Last one out of the village is an Uruk!" she cried merrily. Her hood flew off her head, and her hair streamed out behind her, and in the slight breeze, blew in front of her face. Cursing softly, she reined in Durithil and threw her hair into a messy plait. Díore's face warmed, and she hoped the others wouldn't see it. "Leoma, Hyldo, come on!" The day was beautiful, though there were heavy clouds rolling in from the north. "It could rain," Díore commented, looking up at the sky.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:53
Leoma quickly kicked his horse into a canter, following Diore's faster horse. At one point Diore's hood flew off, and she stopped to put it back on.
"Leoma, Hyldo, come on!"
Just as she said this Leoma came up beside her, a smile on his young, clean-shaven, face.
"You could be right, about the rain. I do hope it does not, riding in the rain is never fun...come on then." He spurred his horse onward (without spurrs) and crossed over the village boundaries. He grinned back at her.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:58
Díore grinned brightly back, feeling a stirring in her heart at the thought of adventure. "I guess that must mean Hyldo is an Uruk. I certainly didn't lose; I am just second." Her face still red, she halted Durithil and looked at Leoma. "Where exactly in Gondor are you headed?" she asked, waiting for Hyldo to catch up. Her green eyes were twinkiling, but her tone was serious.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 12:07
Leoma did not even need to think to get that answer, "I plan to go to Minas Tirith. I usually find the best markets for my wares there. It is not to long a ride. Are you heading there, or someplace else?" He asked her, jenuinly curious.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 03:31
"Can I help you, master?" he asked, putting aside the bucket.

Sachiel was momentarily taken aback by the blunt phrasing the lad used when addressing him. 'M'lord' was the most common term he had ever heard used before, and it struck him as rather odd that instead of using what he thought of as a more universal title for nobles. He thought of dismissing the question with just a shake of his head but thought a little better of it. He was curious after all, wasn't he? It was the first time he'd really been out of the city of Lebennin, and he should make the most of it, as his teachers had constantly pressed him to do whenever in new and different surroundings. May as well take their advice to heart now, he thought to himself, with a small smile twisting the corners of his lips. The tiny upturn of his mouth made him look rather foolish, but Sachiel didn't know that. He just knew that it would be quite unwise to break out laughing at his tutors - who always claimed he never listened and that their time would be better spent teaching brick walls - with no real warning. He didn't want to scare the poor lad, after all.

"No help necessary, thank you," Sachiel said instead, his voice pitched at the tone he usually reserved for his father's friends - strong but not overly aggressive. It was a strange mix that his tutor in languages had insisted he learn to perfection. Mayhap it would come in handy in places other than a room full of pompous old men arguing in too-loud voices over philosophical statements while maids scurried around cleaning up spills they had unwittingly left behind. It made for a comical sight when one was removed - far removed - from the general hustle and bustle, but when one was in the midst of such rioting, it generally became unbearable very quickly.

He paused, wondering for a moment just what he was doing, wanting to see a gruff voiced man who reminded him of his childhood. A wash of nostalgia came over him again, though and instead of turning Darling around, mounting and galloping off like a sensible person would, Sachiel rested a hand on his mount's withers and asked the lad what he was doing.

Rachal's sharp eyes caught the movement of Sachiel leaving him and he almost rose to follow the boy out of the tavern. Hadrian looked at him curiously in that moment and the street thief let his muscles relax a tiny bit, sinking back into his bargaining posture, leaning forward slightly with his elbows resting on the table at odd angles. He said nothing, just gave the soldier a powerful and long look. Hadrian's eyes met his squarely.

"I'm not tryin' t' pull any tom-foolery, if ye know wha I mean," Hadrian said into the (relative) silence of the tavern.

"Didn't think you were," Rachal replied, eyes still locked with the soldier's. "But, if you do think about doing something like that, I will hunt you down. I'm not in the mood for anything that will gainsay my influence over Sachiel. Do not interfere." There was silence again as Hadrian bowed his head the tiniest bit, silently acknowledging the veiled threat under Rachal's words. Rachal took this for acquiescence and nodded brusquely. "Good then. You will leave tomorrow."

Hadrian looked up, surprise and indignation written across his face so plainly anyone could read it. "Tomorrow?" he exclaimed. "That's not possible - I can't -"

"Can't what?" Rachal inquired coolly, standing on his feet and leaning on his hands on the table top. "If you really 'can't' leave as you claim, you know the consequences. Get out. By tomorrow."

Hadrian bit his lip but didn't reply. Rachal swept out of the dingy tavern into the clean air of midday. Maybe a little later than midday. The sun was partly hidden behind a cloud and wasn't as punishing as it could have been after Rachal's eyes had adjusted to the dark interior of the Leaping Stag.

Just where has that little rag gotten off to now? he wondered as he began to carefully comb every street that was in the village. He found Sachiel where he least expected him - speaking offhandedly with a stable boy. Rachal would have gone out and grabbed the lad firmly by the arm, hauling him away, but it intrigued him that this little noble had decided to converse with ordinary folk and instead of coming out from behind a conveniently placed heap of horse fodder, he pulled back to listen to them.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 04:13
Hyldo followed them as they raced, he stayed behind though, he wanted to keep an eye on things. When he saw Diore stop and Leoma ride up to her he also trotted up to her. Then the three of them rushed off again. He soon became hungry and asked the others if they also wanted to stop and eat, which they did. Hyldo pulled a small loaf of bread out of his bag. He ate a small piece, it was all he had and he didn't want to eat all of it. "Well, we had best be on our way. We should try and get farther before night falls." Hyldo said, then he whistled for his horse, and he trotted up to Hyldo.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 11:10
Leoma observed Hyldo curiously, why eat so little...He rummaged around in his sac, and handed a large loaf of fresh (well relatively speaking) bread, and some dried meat. Smiling, he pushed it into Hyldo's reluctant hands.
"Take it, I have more of it then I need." He said, getting on his horse and slowly walking him away.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 05:24
Randirn paused for a moment, surprised by the lad's apparantly intense interest in him; he'd never really thought of himself as that interesting. "I..."

Then he regained composure, and hoisted the bucket a big gruffly. "I'm watering the animals. What else would I be doing with a bit ol' bucket like this?" Randirn tried his hardest to sound authorative; after all, the lad was years younger than him.

"Now, do you need me, or can I finish my chores?"

+++++++++++

Modig discussed metallurgy with Calun as they walked down the winding street to the inn, occassionally making comments to the effect of, 'I have seen several orc swords, and...' or 'you have heard of the risings in the East?', guaging the man's response to them in an attempt to understand how he should speak to the man, and how much he was, truly, in need of Modig's help.

The conversation had just turned to elven smithery when they reached the inn; Modig led the Southernor around to the back, towards the 'cottage' he shared with the stableboy and another lad just into his twenties--Randirn, that one's name was. Modig had never taken particular interest in the young man, just enough to keep him in Randirn's good graces, which proved valuable. Randirn felt just enough good-will towards his roommate that he would let occassional bendings in rules pass without comment to the higher-ups, namely the cook and inkeeper. Still, Randirn trusted him about as far as he could throw the Rohirric blacksmith, which wasn't very far.

Passing into the inner courtyard, Modig briefly noted a well-built man leaning against the outer fence ((?)); placing it in the back of his mind, he approached the stable--Randirn and a boy on a horse were discussing something, and the stable hand seemed falsely miffed. Modig recognized that look instantly: Randirn was trying to act more imposing that he was.

"Whoa, whoa, Randirn," Modig cut in, stepping to him, glancing slightly at Calun in apology for the interruption. "What's got your royal feathers ruffled? Not being rude to patrons, are we?"

There was a threat in the voice, and Randirn swallowed his pride--it wasn't worth provoking Modig; he'd learned that the hard way, and earned a broken arm. "...No. I was just asking if I could help the lad, and he asked what I was doin', and I told him."

Modig nodded in skepticism, then looked to the boy. "I hope he hasn't offended you, Master..." He left room for the boy to disclose his name.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 07:20
Díore began to ride ahead down the road, but glanced back at Leoma. "I have no destination. Whereever the road takes me, I suppose. My father always said that you don't go to seek adventure, that adventure will find you." The heavy steel-grey clouds began to roll in heavily now, and a hefty gust picked up. "It would be wise for us to find shelter soon, I think."

Durithil pricked his ears forward and back, his nostrils flaring. "This could promise to be a bad storm," Díore muttered to herself, tilting her head to look at the sky again. Stroking her anxious' horse's neck, she looked for a likely shelter. "Is there a place hereabouts that would welcome us for the night?" she called to Leoma.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 03:35

"Whoa, whoa, Randirn," Modig cut in, stepping to him, glancing slightly at Calun in apology for the interruption. "What's got your royal feathers ruffled? Not being rude to patrons, are we?"

"...No. I was just asking if I could help the lad, and he asked what I was doin', and I told him."

Modig nodded in skepticism, then looked to the boy. "I hope he hasn't offended you, Master..." He left room for the boy to disclose his name.

Sachiel opened his mouth to give his name, but then it occurred in the back of his mind that his father might be looking for him, and the best way to avoid being found was by giving a different name. He gave the first one that came to his mind. "Rachal. And please, don't call me 'Master'. It makes me feel old," the young nobleman said with a winning smile. "'M'lord' or even 'gentle-sir' will suffice very well."

He was grinning foolishly to himself over the cleverness of not using his own name and the foolishness of utilizing his companion's name instead went right over his head. Rachal, still crouched behind the horse fodder, shook his head in disgust. You don't use a name that could be connected to you in any way, shape or form, foolish lad, the street thief growled in his head. It just isn't the way the streets are run, m'lad. You've got much learning to do, now.

Rachal would have come out of hiding now to seize Sachiel, plead madness to the boy's case and get them both out of there, but Sachiel made things difficult by turning a little, placing Darling right between Rachal and himself. The thief cursed under his breath. Darling was sweet enough as mares went, but she had taken a dislike to him, and made no qualms about biting him whenever the opportunity presented itself. If he attempted to gain hold of Sachiel with Darling so close, Rachal did not give his hands a very high chance of coming out with five fingers each. More like three. Or two.

"He didn't offend me at all," Sachiel continued, with a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips now. "It - well... Something reminded me of when I was younger..." he trailed off, a slight pink flush rising in his cheeks. It seemed so riduculous, now that he had put it into words. Feelings were such complicated things! Whoever invented them ought to be hanged for treason against humanity. The young nobleman gave a dismissive wave of his hand. "It doesn't matter, really. I shouldn't be keeping you from your chores, so if you'll forgive me - " he inclined his head ever so slightly towards the stable hand - "I believe I shall be on my way."

He turned Darling, just enough. Rachal came out from behind the fodder and strode up, catching Sachiel's forearm. "And just where do you think you're going?" he asked in a pleasantly not-pleasant voice.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 03:44
Leoma looked up to the darkening sky.
"I think you are right...but as to where to go...usually I camp out in the open, as there is nothing around for miles. We have to travel another day before we find any sort of building." Leoma looked about.
"There is a ditch over there. Let us set up a camp near it. It will prevent us from being hit by lightning, and any rain will head into the ditch." Without waiting he turned his horse's head and rode towards the ditch.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2006 05:13
((i regret to inform everyone that i must be leaving indefinitely--this will be my last post until and if i get a chance to return. anyone feel free to take up my characters.))

"He didn't offend me at all," Sachiel continued, with a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips now. "It - well... Something reminded me of when I was younger...It doesn't matter, really. I shouldn't be keeping you from your chores, so if you'll forgive me - " he inclined his head ever so slightly towards the stable hand - "I believe I shall be on my way."

He turned Darling, just enough. Rachal came out from behind the fodder and strode up, catching Sachiel's forearm. "And just where do you think you're going?" he asked in a pleasantly not-pleasant voice.

Randirn instantly stepped back in surprise and a slight hint of fear: the man seemed brusk and menacing, though it was probably his own securities that made him so.

Modig was not as surprised, recognizing the man as the one who had been listening; the blacksmith guessed there was something afoot here and made an effort to seem blase. "And what might your name be, Master?" he asked in brusk politeness.

((sorry to leave you hanging, Salkiethia; take my characters if you want them; you've got a good story going. the following paragraphs are an optional ending if you wish modig and randirn gone))

"MODIG! Where are ye, boy!"

Modig halted his intent, eyes moving towards the open inn door--Rowe was standing there, cheeks hot and eyes red. "I need ye in the forge!"

Rolling his eyes slightly, Modig conceded to the man's misconception, with every intent of returning; this happened, every now and again. "Master Rowe, I doubt you will need me in the middle of the night..."

"I d'nai care! Ye're comin' with me!"

With a slight nod, Modig dismissed himself from the group, casting a warning glare and Randirn, who, recognizing that look, skittered off to finish his chores.
Mírenaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 03:22
When another young man arrived, the two Nachlin had been talking to made ready to travel on. Nachlin sighed and watched the young man pack his woodcraft into the cloth they had been talking about and leave for a nearby stable.
Whenhe had left Nachlin sat down on the bench, resting his hurting legs and feet. Before he had decided to follow the host north he had never in his life walked so much. He needed to pause and recover his strength before going on south.
Although he was somewhat sad that he would now be alone again in this forein town, he knew that it would not have been possible for hin to accompany these people, even had they invited him to do so. He was sure they would travel on horseback.

As if on cue the small group reassembled, their belongings in saddlebags.
He watched them follow one of the roads leading away from the tavern, nodding and smiling to them to wish them farewell. He watched their progress until they disappeared beyond a bend in the road.
Nachlin breathed deeply and watched the first light of dawn rise above the roofs of the town. He would have liked to keep sitting here longer, but as the morning already started to show its new face, he knew he should now finally enter the tavern. He did not much like the thought, but he knew that his chances to find what he was seeking grew slimer with every person that left the tavern and walked past him, as many had already done.

Nachlin stood up and slowly made his way to the heavy doors of the tavern. Pausing for a short moment he then entered, determination in his face. Looking around he saw only a few people still sitting at the tables. Some talking, some bent low above their ales, one snoring loudly, the others looking at the newcomer.
Nachlin walked a few steps into the room away from the doors. He stayed close to the walls, not taking a seat at one of the many empty tables. Slowly the guests reurned to whatever they had done before he had enterd, and Nachlin relaxed a little, though his arms he held still crossed before his chest.
A maiden appeared and started cleaning the tables. She seened also very pale to him, as had been the woman he had met outside, but she was not quite so skinny. She seemed not to notice the man standing quietly at one side of the room a little outside of the shine of the torches.
Nachlin returned his attention to the bar, where no one seemed to be working just now. He decided to wait until the owner of the tavern, whom he expected to work there, would return. That would surely be the man to talk to, the one who would know best if someone in town needed some help with their daily chores and if they would be willing to give the job to a Haradrim.
Fixing his eyes on the bar, Nachlin continued waiting silently.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 11:07
(its a shame that Pitya's gotta leave. I hope no-one objects to me taking over Modig?)
Calun heard a large, gruff voice behind him yelling,
"MODIG! Where are ye, boy!"

Modig halted his intent, eyes moving towards the open inn door--Rowe was standing there, cheeks hot and eyes red. "I need ye in the forge!"

"Master Rowe, I doubt you will need me in the middle of the night..."

"I d'nai care! Ye're comin' with me!"

With a slight nod, Modig dismissed himself from the group. Calun shrugged and said,
"I thank you for your kindness but I suppose that I shall continue to scrape a living here. But I thank you."
Modig glanced at Rowe and then at Calun.
"I will be back by morning. Mayhaps we could discuss a future time that we could perhaps go gallivanting off."
"Thars no way thats happening, boy! your staying at the forge! Understand?" Rowe spat at Modig. Modig leaned back under the onslaught of words and spittle. Rowe's face grew purple as he ranted at Modig about how he was putting a roof over his head and how he should be grateful, and then he goes and makes friends with a Half-blood, a outcaste. On hearing this Calun seemed to see red. He stepped forward and swung his fist into Rowe's stomach and then into his face. Rowe collapsed onto the ground, blood rushing from his face.
"You'll pay, yah mongrel. you'll pay for that." Rowe wheezed out at Calun. Calun staggered back as if in a trance.
"you shouldn't have done that." Modig said, half in shock. as he steadyed Calun."That shouldn't have happened.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2006 04:03
ooc: sorry i haven't been around. school has been crazy and i haven't had time. i don't mind if someone controls my character right now, since i am not here that much.

ic: Maeg was clearing off the tables as dusk fell. There were only about three people in the bar, and one of them she was about to ask kindly to leave, for he was too drunk for her to stand. She quietly started cleaning a table in front of her, when someone's throat cleared. She looked up to see someone sitting there.
"I'm sorry, I did not see you there. Would you like something to drink m'lord?" Maeg called everyone that, when she wasn't quite sure of their station. She fumbled around at another table, waiting for him to say something, and knocked over a glass in the process. She was clumsy, but she knew how to keep a place neat and clean, and the barkeep had taken a liking to her, as if she were his own daughter, and kept her in service, no matter how many glasses she broke. At this very second she wasn't concerned with the man at the table, although it seemed as though she was. She was thinking how nice and wonderful it would be to mount her horse, ride into the gap of Rohan, and keep riding, never looking back, free as the wind whipping through the mane of her horse. She was startled out of her daydream to hear the man answer.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 27, 2006 10:35
Díore sighed and turned Durithil toward the ditch. "I hope the rain doesn't wash in on us then," she muttered, her eyes scouting out a likely place to camp. The wind started to pick up more, and the sound of thunder sounded on the horizon. Durithil whinnied and halted, his nerves on edge. "Ease up, boy," Díore pleaded, trying her level best to placate her horse. Under her skillful hand, the ebony stallion settled, though the weather only seemed to worsen.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2006 12:05
Leoma shivered despite himself. The wind was cold and chill, promising a torrent of rain.
"If we stay on top of the ditch then we should be fine. We will need it, however, should the storm become even more violent." He steadied his own horse, who was not as nervous, but seemed to be trying to bolt from under him. Leoma sighed, he didn't need this storm!!!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 28, 2006 11:48
(When are we all meeting up?)

The slate grey clouds seemed too intimidating, and Díore shuddered visibly. It had been such a pleasant day before, why did the weather have to worsen now? Riding into the ditch, Díore cast around and saw an outcropping of rocks on the far edge that promised shelter. Durithil loped towards them, and hurrying off her horse's back, Díore checked around the place. She beckoned the others over and found herself a niche that would do well for a temporary refuge. The horses would have to wait out the storm nearby, but there was nothing to be done.

Lightning streaked across the sky, and thunder echoed soon after. Díore huddled in a small niche and covered herself with her cloak. Durithil was nearby, but the crude refuge was nowhere near large enough to shelter a horse. Praying silently that the storm wouldn't spook the horses overmuch, Díore hoped that Hyldo and Leoma found themselves a place as well.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2006 03:57
Leoma had found a litle dug out, the way the rock was formed it was enough to provide minimal shelter to his horse. He was thankful that the steed was generally very steady for it probably would have bolted had it been any other horse.
In the torrent of rain and lightning he huddled against the wall of the dug out. Wishing it to end, and silently cursing his bad luck.

OOC: I think that we should meet after the storm, what do you guys think?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 11:47
Díore listened to the sounds of the rain and huddled a little deeper into the shelter. Thankfully, the rain hadn't poured in on her, and she hoped that Durithil was all right in the crevice she had found for him. Loam was the only padding for the ground. Her thoughts were muddled in a mess, but the sound of the driving rain thrust everything from her mind.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 09:44
"That shouldn't have happened." Modig said again as Calun caught himself on his shoulder.
"Yah rat! Your a mongrel. Thats all you are and all you ever will be." Rowe spat at Calun.
"Calun, lets get out of here. You at least need to leave town." Modig muttered as he led Calun away.
"And you, Modig, you're no better." you'll never work for me again, no never." Rowe seemed to be raving now but Modig took this to heart as he had never liked working for Rowe anyway. This was the perfect way to leave Rowe's service.
As the two of them huddled in a small room with two others, with the sound of a storm raging outside.
"I am sorry for what happened today, Modig, truly I am." Calun said, mournfully.
"Do not worry my friend, we shall leave this mud-hole and perhaps make something of ourselves. Tomorrow, tomorrow we shall leave." Modig said, not cheerfully, yet not sadly.
the next day as the storm cleared, Modig and Calun purchased horses, blankets and other necessities for travelling for long periods of time.
They set off out of the village on a morning when all is calm but there is a feeling of great exertationover the land. It was on mornings like this that Calun felt good to be alive.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email