Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: inherence (see ooc)
on: October 01, 2006 05:22
Leoma stood and stretched, hearing several of his bones crick as he did. He groaned slightly, he was muddy, filthy, tired, sore, and freezing cold. The sun was out and shining and he felt quite happy at this. He walked over to where his other companions were concealed in the ditch, waking them up and helping them out. He looked up and saw two figures in the distance. Now who could they be? he wondered.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 05:51
"Companions?" Díore inquired, stepping out from her shelter and stretching, her green eyes on the figures that trod on the muddy road towards them. Her gaze flicked to Leoma, who seemed to be shivering slightly. "Would you like my cloak? I have a spare that I can part with, if you'd like." The sun beamed down and evaporated the moisture into tendrils that filled the air. Durithil whickered, happy that the storm was over; he had fared through the night just fine. Díore plaited her hair back and let it loose over her back. The light of adventure was in her eyes; she was ready for something to happen, new companions, new adventures, what could go wrong today?
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 07:15
"No, I shall be fine. It is but the chill of the morning that troubles me. Thank you, though." He paused then pointing out with his finger, "Do you see the two riders over yonder?" Leoma looked back at Diore, "Do you suppose them to be friend or foe?" He smiled warmly.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 10:27
Díore narrowed her eyes to see better down the road. "I think they would be friends. It seems to me that they aren't many foes around here, at least, any that bother us overly." She inhaled the brisk morning air happily. "Shall we go meet them?" she asked Leoma.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 10:38
Lemoa thought for a moment, contemplating all of the options.
"Yes." He said eventually, "Let us go meet them, perhaps they shall provide us with more protection for later on on our journey should they be heading in our general direction. Shall we?" He got onto his horse, and nudged her into a slow walk.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 09:21
Calun peered into the distance and saw a group of travellers huddled arround the base of a outcrop of rock.
"Shall we meet our fellow travellers?" He asked.
"Why not? they look like their friendly." Modig replied after Calun pointed them out to him. They changed direction slightly and their horses trotted towards the small cluster of horses and people.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 07:17
Díore mounted Durithil, situated herself on his back, and urged him forward. The fair maid wasn't apprehensive about the oncomers, only curiosity. Soon enough, the pair came into hailing distance of the riders. "Hail there, friends!" Díore called, a bright smile on her face. "It is a lovely morning, no?" She decided to leave caution to those who cared and chose instead to be bold.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2006 09:05
"Hail there, friends!" one of the travellers called, a bright smile on her face. "It is a lovely morning, no?"
"Why, yes it is!" Modig called back,"And you, I would say, are an equally beautiful woman. I am Modig, a smith, recently of Rohan, and this is my friend, Calun, also a smith. We travel to ease our wandering spirits and to escape persecution we may or may not experience. And you and your companion are..."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2006 05:04
"I am Leoma, a trader from Rohan. Perhaps later on I could tempt you to take a look at my wares but that is for another time. It is a pleasure to meet you both." He smiled, his youth reflecting in that smile.
"We are bound for Gondor, where is your destination?"
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 10, 2006 07:41
Díore bowed her head at the praise. She was modest, but not much so. "I am called Díore, daughter of Hasulfen, a captain in the Riddermark." Her eyes darkened slightly at the thought of a persecution. "You try to escape possible persecution, you say?" A question hung on the air, and Díore fell silent, looking up at Modig and Calun and wondering their thoughts.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 11:34
(aren't i supposed to join with a group too? i can't just stay in this bar the whole time - talk about boring - there is a reason i spoke of freedom)

Maeg was cleaning a table. The inn was completely empty, except for the bartender and a stranger in the corner. She finished cleaning, and put her rags away. She went to the loft above the inn to change her clothes to something more comfortable and loose, because her barmaid dress was too small, and she couldn't afford a new one. She went out the back way, and mounted her horse. She began riding, splashing in puddles left by the storm, and saw a group of people on a hill. She pulled the reins, and her horse sidestepped. Her hair flipped in the wind, and she glanced at the group. They seemed friendly, but you could never tell in this town. She approached them cautiously, every second doubtful of greeting them, thinking of turning back. But freedom to wander with these people, and not stay locked in that inn, beckoned to her spirit.

[Edited on 10/13/2006 by Aravis17]
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 10:23
"Aye, persecution. I am often treated lower than dirt for being the wrong race, color, being a half-blood," Calun replied softly. "But that is now hopefully in the past."
Calun turned suddenly and saw a figure cresting the hill. The figure seemed to be a woman. she approached carefully as if the group was dangerous.
"Greeting, my fair lady!" Modig called. Obviously he had also noticed her.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 14, 2006 10:42
Díore eyed Calun oddly. "A half-blood?" she whispered as Calun turned to a mounted figure coming towards them cautiously. Shaking her head deftly, the maid of Edoras waved a hand in greeting. "You are welcome among us, friend!" she called. Durithil whickered shrilly as he saw another of his kin approach. She urged him forward a few paces. "Is that the barmaid from the inn?" Díore asked Leoma, looking over her shoulder to see his reaction.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2006 05:22
Leoma was a little surprised to see Maeg, but greeted her with a smile.
"Maeg, it is good that you have joined us. The more the merrier! Come, I do believe that we have a long journey ahead of us."
"Is that the barmaid from the inn?"

Leoma nodded, "Yep. I suspected that she would follow us eventually." He smiled and rode beside Maeg.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 10:22
Díore rode on Maeg's other side. "So, do you have a destination?" she asked, shifting in the saddle to get a better view of Maeg. The travelers set off down the road at a leisurely pace, and Díore thought that there was no better place than in the saddle. A sharp pang of homesickness struck the maiden, but she forced it away with thoughts of their adventure, though where it would take them and what they would encounter was an unknown thing.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 11:57
"So, do you have a destination?"
Maeg shook herself. They had opened up and generously let her join the group. It felt wonderful to be out in the open, away from the work and stress of being a barmaid and having cramped quarters. But she still felt like an outsider. These people had known each other longer than they had known her, and they all thought of her as "that barmaid". She felt like they judged her before they knew her character. She would change that! She suddenly realized Diore was talking to her.
"Not really," she answered, "I am just glad to be in the open, free and open to do what I please. Like this!" Maeg began galloping to the lead of the group and went a few feet ahead. She slowed down, and let Diore catch up. They resumed their positions in the group and continued to talk.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 01:22
Díore smiled at Maeg once Durithil caught up with Maeg’s horse. “I can see we are of like minds,” the fair maid commented. “And if it seems that I misjudged you, I apologize. I did not know you well enough to call you something other than what I knew.” Her eyes locked on Maeg’s face, as if trying to see something else. “It seems that we are the only women on this journey, and I believe that we might have to band together.” Díore smiled to show that she was jesting, not meaning anything offensive against the men.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2006 09:13
Calun looked at the woman who had joined them.
"So your name is Maeg. I believe that we have meet before." he said. Modig looked at him surprised that Calun didn't now the barmaid, after all, he had lived in the village for many years. But then he was an outcaste, being a half-blood.
“It seems that we are the only women on this journey, and I believe that we might have to band together.” Díore jested.
"My lady, why would you think that you would need to band together against us. By us I mean me and Calun, for I cannot speak for our other companion" Modig jested in return, smiling broadly."
"Aye, fair ones. We are naught but humble blacksmiths and have been raised with naught but the most respect for the farier sex." Calun laughed

[Edited on 29/10/2006 by wordsmith]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 24, 2006 11:37
Díore laughed softly at the men's words. "I have met men more humble than you that would turn against women. However, I trust your words for you do not seem the type to harass anyone." Her eyes glinted with laughter, and she turned her gaze forward as the companions rode forth happily.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2006 02:15
Maeg felt comfortable with this group. This adventure would be much more exciting than if she had stayed at the bar. Suddenly she remembered her father. How he had forced her to stay inside. How he had left with the Rohirrim and just abandoned her there. How she had escaped. As the wind whipped through her hair, and as she felt the horse gallop beneath her, the thought of her father quickly left her mind. She finally realized the freedom that had been granted to her. The thought swept over her like a seaborn breeze.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 07:42
Díore heaved a great sigh and kicked Durithil into a gallop. Her hair came free of its plait and streamed out behind her as she sat to her horse's lengthy stride. She urged Durithil faster, and the scenery passed beside her like a blur. After a mile or so of riding this way (and leaving her companions behind at the same time), Díore halted the stallion at the crest of a large hill and looked over it, her eyes surveying all that lay before her.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 11:13
Leoma rode silently beside the group. Smiling, just enjoying the calm, pleasant, atmosphere. He patted his old mare fondly and brought out some dried meat and his flask of water. Eating this very simple meal he contemplated the group. He was pleased to have met so many people, perhaps they would remain more permanent friends.
"Would you like some late breakfast?" He offered the group with a bright smile.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 06:50
"Would you like some late breakfast?" Leoma offered.
"Oh yes, yes I would." Calun said cheerfully. He dug in a pouch and withdrew several small pasties. His companions stared at him as he passed one out to his companions. Noticing the stares on his fellow companions faces he said,
"I hope you dont mind me sharing my supplies with you? These pasties go stale a day or two after being baked so I might as well share. We have plenty of stale bread to go around for later." He said this with a small smile playing on his lips, though he endevored to appear serious.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 07:17
Leoma starred at the sweet pasteries being offered. He rarely ate such fine foods.
"No, no, we don't mind at all, do we?" He said almost gleefully.
He accepted the pastry almost as if he was afraid to drop it. Leoma slowly ate the delicious treat, savouring every bite.
"My friend, you have earned yourself my highest possible respect and admiration for you and your delicious pastries." He said after he had finished. He held out his hand and his old mare started to lick the frosting off of his fingers, enjoying the sugar still there. Leoma laughed brightly and retracted his hand after a miniute.
"bit of a sweet tooth, old girl?" He said to Greymalkin.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 01:00
Díore glanced over her shoulder at her companions. "You lot are too slow!" she cried teasingly, a smile playing on her mouth. "By the time you get to this ridge, I shall be an old woman with grey hair and wrinkles!" Turning her gaze forward once more, Díore took out her own food and had a bit of repast. Durithil stamped his hoof impatiently; the stallion wanted to run. She steadied her horse gently. "Ease up, old boy. Let them take their time getting here. We are in no hurry." She dismounted Durithil and stroked his ebony neck, humming contentedly.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 09:29
Modig smiled at Calun who grinned back. In unison they galloped foward to Diore and started circling her slowly.
"We appologise for our tardiness, my lady," Modig said, with a bow and a flourish.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 11:15
Díore looked from one to the other and said in mock resignation, "So it would seem that you are ganging up on me. And here I thought that you were gentlemen." She stroked Durithil's neck and muttered to him, "Rear, boy." The stallion reared and plunged forward, breaking through the barrier, Díore in his wake. She mounted him quickly and grinned at the others. "You can never ensnare a maid of Edoras in so cheap a trap."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 01:26
Leoma, who had been watching all of this, laughed.
"She is right, my good companions, Edoras women are warriors, and are never to be underestimated. Did that once, I never fully recovered from it." he squirmed slightly in his seat, remembering the humiliation that had been bestowed upon him when he had found himself flat on his back, defeated utterly.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 03:53
Díore nodded in agreement with Leoma. "I have oft times seen it happen...and have dealt it out as well. But now," she waited for Maeg to catch up with them, "we are headed for Gondor, are we not? But where in the country are we bound? If we are following your trade routes, Leoma, where is the closest village?"
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 11:24
Leoma thought for a few miniutes, "Well, if I recall correctly it is another three days ride to get to the one I usually trade at. There are a few smaller villages, but I rarely trade there." he smiled, "They have a dislike for strangers."
"If we keep in this general direction we should come across a village soon, though I don't know it's name."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 12:45
"A dislike for strangers?" Díore asked, geniunely curious. "I suppose they could fear soldiers and the like, but travelers like us? Well, with rogues and such as them wandering around, I can see their distrust of anyone." Díore fell silent, thinking. She had been mistrusted by those who thought that she was out to harm them. She nudged Durithil forward, wanting to reach a village where she could ask of news from Edoras and the king.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2006 11:04
Maeg glanced up from the bottom of the hill to see Diore and her horse standing on the crest. The men rode up to her after she jeered at them, and they began having a small civilized argument. She noticed Diore look back, her eyes searching for Maeg, their questioning look saying 'Where is that girl?' Maeg chuckled to herself as they all rode down the hill, and she converged within the crowd, the men never noticing that she had been ahead all this time. She loved being able to do what she wanted.
"...we are headed for Gondor, are we not? But where in the country are we bound? If we are following your trade routes, Leoma, where is the closest village?"
"Well, if I recall correctly it is another three days ride to get to the one I usually trade at. There are a few smaller villages, but I rarely trade there." he smiled, "They have a dislike for strangers."
"If we keep in this general direction we should come across a village soon, though I don't know it's name."
"A dislike for strangers?" Díore asked, geniunely curious. "I suppose they could fear soldiers and the like, but travelers like us? Well, with rogues and such as them wandering around, I can see their distrust of anyone."

Maeg listened to their conversation, and kept to herself, thinking. She had heard news in the bar. News that her father had been seen in Gondor. Not that anyone knew that she was his daughter, but it had frightened her. What if he saw her there and demanded she return with him? She would refuse, of course, but then he might get physical. She remembered how that was. The last time he had hit her was a week before she left Rohan. She wanted to ride her horse, but he refused. She had cried, and he had punched her in the stomach, while smacking her across the jaw.
"Now you have something to cry about, wench!" He always called her wench, never her name, or my daughter, or anything else. When he referred to her. It was like she wasn't even his daughter. Maeg snapped out of her thoughtful state when she heard laughing. The group was a hundred yards ahead of her, looking back and laughing. She had fallen off of her horse! She got up defiantly, re-saddled the horse, and rode ahead towards them.
"I take offense to your laughter at my embarrassment, but my dignity is not spoilt. I have a tendency to daydream, as you have now seen, and I forget where I am. If you would please forgive me for holding you back from our destination, we should continue on," Maeg said, as she continued forward, and began to slip again. She dismounted before she fell for the second time.
"Or maybe it has nothing to do with me, and my horse's gear is at fault!" she said, laughing as her companions offered to buy her a new saddle once they arrived at the village.
"Thank you. I shall ride bareback until then," she said, throwing aside the old, moth-eaten saddle, and climbing on to her horse's broad back.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2006 12:06
Nathron talked and laughed witht he group, it was not until Maeg galloped her horse up to them that he realised that she had fallen behind. he laughed slightly at her expression.
"I take offense to your laughter at my embarrassment, but my dignity is not spoilt. I have a tendency to daydream, as you have now seen, and I forget where I am. If you would please forgive me for holding you back from our destination, we should continue on,"

"It is alright, Maeg, we laugh only in jest I assure you. You are forgiven, but there is nothing to forgive." leoma smiled, putting her, he hoped, at ease.
Maeg decided to ride bareback and he nodded in approval,
"I know just where to get the best deals for a saddle, it is no trouble at all." he smiled even broader, if that was even possible.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2006 08:33
"Oh indeed, there is nought to forgive. I myself have fell from a horse many a time." Modig said to Maeg.
"We may be best to skirt around the villages you speak of. They may not take kindly to me." Calun said quietly to Leoma. Modig caught the exchange on the edge of his hearing.
"Calun, you may be a so-called "half-blood" but you have been the greatest friend I have met, present company excluded, since I left Rohan." he said enthusiasticly.
"Modig, Could you not refer to me like that? It may describe me, but it is not who I am." Calun replied, almost pleadingly
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 08, 2006 05:38
Díore remained silent, even when Maeg had fallen from her horse. She had fallen many times from a horse, but the cause of that was no fault in her riding; it was young lads toying with her when she was learning with them the uses of arms. She handled her sword hilt distractedly and listened to the conversations of her companions. She heard the word "half-blood" and started slightly, but said nothing.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email